• Published 27th May 2016
  • 1,020 Views, 15 Comments

The Mystics History - JusSonic



The story behind the Mystic Ponies is revealed.

  • ...
9
 15
 1,020

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33: The Hardest Path

[Enter Three Kingdoms Theme Song]

Twilight Sparkle and her friends screamed wildly as they entered into the Book of Ages. As they landed on the ground, they came across the Ancient Land of Ma. They all entered it as they're ready to face it. They witnessed the land was in turmoil as Imperial Court argued with each other while civil war broke out between peasants, rebels, imperials, warriors, nobles, warlords, ministers and even the Emperor.

Stallion: Through the storm,
Through the darkness,
The once peaceful kingdom
Lost its Love and Harmony
Turn into grief despair

Virtue Dragon, Blade Dragoon and Warpath Temper prayed and bowed down before the altar as they make a vow of sworn brotherhood. They joined up with various brave and compassion warriors in journeying across the land to help troubled ponies.

Azure Phoenix stood on the Imperial Palace's entrance as he held his sword up high proudly as his Imperial Phoenix Army. His army cheered wildly and proudly. They all went from territory to territory for conquest and control of the land.

Claw Tiger smiled proudly as he led his Tiger Warriors to deal with rebels. As he was dying, Claw Tiger passed the sword to his eldest son, Brave Tiger. Brave Tiger led his warriors in reclaiming Wuhu River for his clan. As he died, he passed to Courage Tiger as the new Leader of Kingdom.

Stallion: The destiny is now yours To change its course and fate.
Heaven and Earth chose you to fulfill its purpose

Virtue Dragon helped ponies as well as showing kindness and compassion. His warriors of Western Dragon Kingdom fought bravely and determinedly to defend the innocent.

Stallion: A hero with benevolent heart Desires a land of virtue.

Azure Phoenix recruited more of warriors and strategists under his banner. He led the Imperial Phoenix Kingdom army across the land for conquest and world domination of empire.

Stallion: A hero with great ambition
Desired a land of power and talents

Courage Tiger was in great doubt and pain about his past. Nevertheless, he stood proudly on Water Tiger military naval ship, along with others. He was leading them to defend his home.

Stallion: A hero with courageous fangs Desired a land of unity.

Three kingdoms marched into the battlefield as they all charged into it as they began battled with each other fiercely and firmly.

Stallion: Pray its Terror Ends,
Hope the Peace Returns

Twilight Sparkle and her friends witnessed the holographic form of history records about the heroes and villains from Qin Dynasty Era into the Three Kingdoms Era. They were amazed and shocked, but sometimes angered and upset while others - pained and despair.

Stallion & Chorus: Oh, Great Warriors of the Heaven
Save us from the Demon God's Hell
May you guide us to Paradise Land
Where no blood shall ever shed again

Azure Phoenix and Han Zero stood before Royal Sisters. Both sides held each other hooves for the moment before the princesses disappeared from sights, including Han Zero. Azure Phoenix slowly turned and faced his two biggest rivals - Virtue Dragon and Courage Tiger. Three Rulers held anc crossed each other's their swords up proudly. It created the magical aura forms of Greenish Dragon, Bluish Phoenix and Crimson Tiger stood up and roared wildly as the mightiest warriors in Land of Ma!

Stallion & Chorus: Whenever we're in grave danger,
You braved to bring us home
Your deeds will not be Forgotten
Your Tale becomes Legend

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Mystic History

---------------------------------------------

Chapter 33: The Hardest Path

Virtue Dragon governed the Jing Province, with the help of Skysoar Intellect and Old Pony Pang. They then received the urgent message from Shu Soldier of the West. They then read the message out, finding out that one of his relative, Alchemist Dragon, requested for some help against Azure Phoenix, who has conquered the Dragon Desert from last two years.

"After the dramatic tension between Virtue Dragon and Courage Tiger settled down, Virtue Dragon received a request for reinforcement from Alchemist Dragon of Shu Province." Narrator narrated, "Fearful of Azure Phoenix after conquering the Dragon Desert, he had come to ask his relative for the assistance."

Skysoar and Old Pony Pang suggested the idea to Virtue Dragon about their plans - pretending to help Alchemist Dragon while gaining a territory and some soldiers, they then will strike him from the back. Thus, allowed them to gain more territories and ready to face off Azure Phoenix and Courage Tiger.

"Skysoar and Old Pony Pang recommended that they go on the pretense of assisting Alchemist
Dragon, but then attacked instead. If Virtue Dragon could capture Shu Province, then the land would be divided in three between Azure Phoenix, Courage Tiger and himself. This was the path his land of virtue. This was Skysoar's 'Three Kingdoms' strategy."

As planned, Virtue Dragon took Old Pony Pang as his strategist, Saber Dragoon and his newly generals
Veteran Shot and Gutsy are following him as well to the Shu Province. Instead of attacking, Virtue Dragon has ordered his army to stay put while visiting his relative. The last thing he wanted is cause trouble and betraying his own relative.

"Though he did move to assist Old Pony Pang and others, Virtue Dragon did not attack Alchemist
Dragon. For within his heart was a virtuous heart that he could not turn against..."

---------------------------------------------

Summer, 180 A.E.,

Virtue Dragon and his officers including Ben, Sunburst, Starlight, Sandbar, Applejack, Apple Bloom and Phobos have arrived and entered the decorated palace's audience chamber, where they were meeting up with the Lord of Shu Province, Alchemist Dragon. They found a familiar brown Earth Pony, who looked like Ben's biological father worn the Chinese Minister robe, sitting down on his chair.

"Dad..." Ben said in shock and surprise.

“Huh, it does look like Jack.” Sunburst comments as he tilt his glasses up a bit.

“But Jack’s a pirate.” Phobos comments.

"Ben, remember, that's not your dad," Applejack reminded firmly and softly.

Ben sighed, "I know. But looking at him, I can't help but think about him."

"My dear cousin Virtue Dragon," Alchemist Dragon laughed heartily. He stood up from his chair as he approached and greeted Virtue Dragon. He smiled, "It is good to see a relative of mine being alive and here as well. You make quite a good name as well."

Virtue Dragon smiled a bit, "Thank you, Lord Alchemist. I am honored that you have requested an aid from me."

"Well, as you can see, my army is not exactly the best and strong to repel him. But you have fought and battled against Azure Phoenix before. So, I thought that you and your brave officers are my only hope to turn the tide and defeat him before he could commence the conquest on my homeland. I will not let that happen while I'm still breathing."

"Yes. Indeed, I have. I was lucky to have brave and intelligent stallions as these are for defeating and repelling him before he could take us down."

"Yes. Yes, I have heard. So, will you help us out?"

"Of course, I will. I will not turn my back on you."

"That is good to hear. I will lend you a base for operation and camping, so you can make preparation to fight against the invasion."

"I will do my best, Lord Alchemist."

"That is all I need to hear. Thank you very much, Lord Virtue. So, shall we have lunch?"

"Yes. My men and I are starving after long travelling."

Alchemist Dragon led Virtue Dragon and his warriors into the dinning chamber for lunch. Old Pony Pang looked unsatisfied and disappointed about it due to his lord refused to follow his plan again. Some of his officers looked uneasy and worried about whether their lord wanted to go through his strategist's plan since Alchemist Dragon is his relative.

---------------------------------------------

Few days have passed...

Virtue Dragon's Force have moved for camping and settling down on new base called 'Wyvern Fort'. Other than preparing to launch the attack, he and his officers helped and treated kindly to the ponies and dragons of Shu, who were indebted, happy and felt safe for his kindness and security. However, Virtue Dragon was indecisive and concern over the idea of betraying and attacking his own kin for conquering the Shu Province, despite the urge of his officers and peasants.

In his office, Virtue Dragon was discussing with his friends and officers including Old Pony Pang over his indecisiveness. They also received a visit from a young yet sleek greenish dragon with small horns and large gentle wings worn the ministry robe called 'Xan'.

"So, Mr. Xan of Shu, what brings you here?" Old Pony Pang asked calmly yet casually, "I assumed that you figured out of our plan to conquer and takeover the land?"

Everyone yelped in shock. Virtue Dragon snapped, "Old Pony Pang! What were you-?!"

Xan laughed heartily, "Relax, Lord Virtue. He and I were old colleagues. In fact, I'm the one, who suggested the idea to Alchemist Dragon for getting reinforcement from you. And of course, I suggested the idea to turn your back on him too. That makes me guilty as well."

"What?! Why would you do that?!" Ben asked in shock.

“Because he’s a jerk.” Phobos remarked dryly.

“I think there’s more to it than that.” Starlight suggests in worry. And it turns out she is right!

"Simple," Xan said seriously and dryly, "Alchemist Dragon is completely incapable and indecisive ruler of this land. He's also weak fool as well. And believe me, that stallion has no desire to conquer or fighting back during the Fall of Qin Dynasty. And not to mention, he wasted my talents for nothing, despite I get my own office and titles. And not to mention, most of the officers are pathetic and excusable useless too."

"That's kinda harsh, you know?" Sandbar asked in concern.

“Right, even I wouldn’t go that far.” Starlight groans, recalling what she did in the past.

“And even when mom scolds me, at least she’s gentle about it.” Ben remarks in agreement.

"That's the reality of what Alchemist Dragon is. How weak and indecisive he truly is," Xan said firmly. He turned and looked at Virtue Dragon, "When I heard the news about a brave heroic warrior from the fallen kingdom of Dragoons has risen and challenged the tyrant, I realized and knew that you are the one, who will bring peace to the land, and also helped our ponies to stand up and not being afraid of danger. I must urge you not to hold back and start invading."

"Xan, I appreciate your words, but what you asked is treason and dishonorable to my own kin." Virtue
Dragon said seriously yet angrily, "I will do no such thing!"

Xan groaned, "You can't be serious. So, you will not make that incapable lord to stand down and abdicated his land to you?!"

"No, I will not," Virtue Dragon said firmly.

Ben sighed, "That's the right thing to do, Virtue."

“Right! It also isn’t so honest. Right, sis?” Apple Bloom ask Applejack sternly.

“Eyup!” Applejack grunts, she does this whenever she’s ticked off like she did during the Gabby Gums incident.

"Such virtuous stallion..." Xan commented, "I truly admire that much, my lord."

Old Pony Pang sighed, "You're being foolish, Lord Virtue. You place too much emphasis on a name. You do realize that the land and blood of Noble House of Dragons are not the same thing. You have to stop closing your mind to that."

"Wait! What?!" Starlight asked suspiciously.

"What are you saying?! Close my mind?! Then, help me understand what this road is that I've been following?!" Virtue Dragon demanded as he slammed on the table, "I have always been proud of my connection with the Noble House of Dragons. It has given me courage and purpose. It's what make me today! What road should I take?! A pony with no name has none."

"What does the name matter?" Old Pony Pang said casually and calmly, "Now listen here. You have before you an even more important road to walk, don't you?"

"I don't understand..." Ben said in concern.

“Dude, anyone got any idea?” Sandbar ask in bewilderment.

“Beats me!” Phobos remarks with a shrug, having no idea either.

Old Pony Pang sipped his tea a bit before cleared his throat, "Look at the fine warriors and even your own adopted son who have fought by your side. Look at these ponies, who have shared your wandering and your troubles. It's not your name that supported you. It is their strength and loyalty that have kept you on this path, don't you know?"

Everyone chatted and muttered of what Old Pony Pang has said. Virtue Dragon also gave some thoughts of what he has said.

"I should know that. They are each like diamond to me especially my friendship," Virtue Dragon said calmly.

Old Pony Pang nodded, "As you are to them. You shine like a guiding light in all of their hearts. Isn't that enough for you?"

Virtue Dragon looked uncertain and indecisive yet again as he do believed that his officers are important than just the lost yet defeated name of his Noble House of Dragon.

"I take that you're willing to fight?" Xan asked sincerely.

"No, I still don't think I should..." Virtue Dragon said firmly.

Old Pony Pang sighed, "Oh dear Mystic's Sake! So, you won't consider attacking Benevolent Palace, huh?"

"I cannot betray Lord Alchemist Dragon," Virtue Dragon said firmly.

"But, my lord, the people of Shu Province desire your rule."

"Silence! My army stay puts! That's an order!"

Xan sighed, "Great. Your lord is sure stubborn."

"With all due respect, Mr. Xan, my father is benevolent pony. He will never attack his own kin, no matter how tempted he is," Saber said firmly and calmly, "And believe me, you wouldn't want to see him get angry."

Xan groaned, "Of course, I wouldn't..."

"I might have the suggestion," Sunburst said, "Instead of attacking him, why don't we negotiate and talk with him? I'd be honor to try and negotiate with him to handover the land to you, and in-return for his safe and security."

Ben sighed, "That sounds safer and better."

“Right, as long as we get to talking, less bloodshed will occur.” Sunburst agrees, relieved to hear a plan better than attacking.

“Makes me wonder why we don’t do it all the time.” Apple Bloom spoke out in concern.

“Probably because some villains are jerks.” Sandbar remarks with a shrug.

Xan sighed, "Unlikely. Lord Alchemist Dragon will not be please of it..."

"It's better than your assault. Do it, Sunburst," Virtue Dragon said firmly and calmly. He turned and glared at Old Pony Pang, "At least, his suggestion doesn't involved of attacking the innocents."

Old Pony Pang sighed, "Not that I want to argue, but I hope you're right..."

---------------------------------------------

Sunburst and Phobos went to the Benevolent Palace, meeting and negotiating with Alchemist Dragon, with the help of Xan. Three of them were waiting at the audience chamber, waiting for Alchemist Dragon. The Lord of Shu Province emerged and met up with them. They greeted to each other. Sunburst explained the situation and the negotiation involving of surrendering and giving up Shu Province to Virtue Dragon.

"He want me what?!" Alchemist Dragon asked angrily and shocked, "Outrageous!"

"Believe it or not, sire, Virtue Dragon has no intention of betraying and attacking you, despite being pressured by his officers. He just wants your land as his territory," Sunburst said calmly and firmly, "Inreturn, you will still manage your home's economy and commerce."

"Really? How can I be certain that I can trust you?"

"You have my word, sire. Trust me. It will be fine."

Alchemist Dragon sighed while his eyes were twitching, "I need some time. Perhaps, I could do it."

Sunburst gasped, "Really? Thank you! I promise you that everything will be-!"

POW! Sunburst got his head hit by the glass of wine. Phobos yelped as he was about to scream. He got grabbed and slammed to the ground hard. The Shu Dragon Guards have cuffed both Sunburst and
Phobos up. Xan remained silent while looked away. Another pony, who looked like Ben's older brother - Golden Sword the blue colored Earth Pony with golden mane, glared and snarled at Sunburst and Phobos.

"Must you be so rough on them, Young Master Brawl?" Xan asked calmly.

Brawl snarled, "I knew these ponies can't be trusted. It's better than letting them getting away with it."

"Indeed. I should have know that Virtue Dragon is nothing but a liar and thief!" Alchemist Dragon said dryly and angrily, "Brawl, prepare the army and defend the Basilisk Fort. They must not breach our fortress. If they do make the move, kill them all. Let none of them escape!"

Brawl nodded, "With pleasure..."

"Not if I have anything to say about it," Xan muttered softly.

---------------------------------------------

During nighttime, Brawl has prepared his army to station at Basilisk Fort, keeping their eyes out on Wyvern Fort, where Virtue Dragon's Forces are camping and stationing at. Unknown to them, Xan managed to disguise himself a villager to escape the fortress. He then headed to Wyvern Fort for making report with his allies. They were in shock and fury to find out about it.

"Sunburst, no!" Starlight exclaimed in concern, "Damn him!"

"I don't understand. Why would he do that?!" Sandbar asked in concern, "We only negotiating and asking to exchange the land for his safety."

"Unfortunately, Alchemist Dragon doesn't care." Xan said firmly and seriously, "As I have said before, he's incapable and foolish leader to lead our forces. He can't differentiate between pros and cons of the situation. And of course, he's paranoid."

"What do we do now?" Apple Bloom asked in concern.

"We attack," Old Pony Pang said firmly.

"With all due respect, Old Pony Pang," Ben said seriously, "I don't think that's a good idea. We only gonna provoke and prove them right that we're gonna invade their land. Maybe we should wait until they leave or maybe, attack Azure Phoenix now!"

"With such limited resources and numbers of soldiers against the angry warlord and his numerous numbers?" Old Pony Pang asked in annoyance. He whacked his magical staff on Ben's head. He exclaimed, "Don't be stupid, Benji Valor Numbskull! That only get you killed when you make a sudden move! They already know of our objective. It is pointless to try to talk with them or even fight against our common enemy. Our only hope is that we fight and takeover Shu Province!"

"So, we go and attack them?" Applejack asked in concern.

"Afraid so. I warned you, didn't I?" Xan said seriously.

"What's done is done," Old Pony Pang said firmly, "Better than letting Virtue Dragon know and worried about it, we should handle the situation by ourselves. Think you can help us out?"

"Not like we have a choice, do we?" Ben asked in concern.

"But this isn't right..." Applejack said in concern.

Saber sighed, "I know. It must be difficult for my father to turn and attack a relative that asked for his help. But this is a necessary step for him to unite the land. By doing so, create the world of virtue."

Starlight scoffed, "I don't mind it. Attacking my boyfriend when he's just negotiating. That jackass is gonna be sorry for it!"

"Alchemist Dragon is merely indecisive fool. Both the ponies and even his own warriors are calling for our lord to replace him," Veteran Shot said firmly before sighed, "Why is he the only one who doesn't see it?"

Old Pony Pang sighed while shaking his head, "He's the pony of virtue. The situation he finds himself is at odds with that virtue. Well, if it's to help him realize his ideals, I supposed we should pitch in and help him."

Veteran Shot nodded, "Indeed. We simply need to take the castle ourselves. If we do, then surely he will do what is necessary to occupy the Shu Province."

"For Virtue Dragon... I... fight... Enemy... die..." Gutsy snarled.

Old Pony Pang smiled, "That's the spirit, Gutsy. But try not to focus on achievements. It's the end of results that counts." He sighed, "This is dangerous terrain to fight on. We could find ourselves in the hooves of enemy traps."
"It is..." Xan said seriously, "This land is known for its natural defense. The enemy could be anywhere."

Gutsy groaned, "Understood..."

"Sandbar... Apple Bloom... I need you to keep Lord Virtue safe and in dark from what we're doing. Better us do the terrible things than he is. After all, the last thing we want is him going wild and angry because Sunburst's failed negotiation." Old Pony Pang said firmly. He turned and looked at Xan, "You sure you have the officers and soldiers ready and willing to defect to us?"

Xan smiled, "Certainly. All is prepared..."

Old Pony Pang sighed, "I supposed we should get moving. We're likely to be noticed if we just hang out around here."

"Basilisk Fort is a near impregnable fortress. They know we're coming," Xan said seriously.

Old Pony Pang smiled, "Do not worry, we've got this."

---------------------------------------------

Brawl and his army were stationing at the Basilisk Fortress. They're waiting and standing for battle as they knew that Virtue Dragon will make the move sooner or later.

The Shu Dragon Guard arrived and reported, "My lord, the enemy has make the move. They're heading to our location!"

Brawl's eyes narrowed in anger, growling, "So, he finally make a move. Light the signal! Prepare for battle! We shall teach them a lesson for deceiving us and even tried to stealing our land from us!"

Shu Warriors gave the loud battle cry as they all prepared to charge and engage the enemies at once. They quickly fired the firework cracker, which shot straight to the sky and exploded. This alerted the rest of Shu Warriors as they all armed and readied themselves for the upcoming battle.

"Make your move, thief..." Brawl mumbles sternly. Only one will get out of this alive....

---------------------------------------------

Old Pony Pang and their army including Ben and his team are assembling outside of the Wyvern Fort. They're all standing by and waiting to launch the attack. They then spotted the Shu Warriors are charging straight at them.

Old Pony Pang sighed, "Can't say I'm surprise."

"They're really mad at us for asking the land to handover to us..." Ben admits in concern.

"Downright disappointing." Applejack sighs, shaking her head. "And dishonest."

"It could be worst." Starlight said seriously.

Xan added, "As I said before, they're paranoid. And now it's the time to remove the problem and replace the true leader."

Old Pony Pang nodded while continuing, "Indeed. You all know what to do. Split up and take the land. Don't falter."

Veteran Shot nodded as he spoke, "Pang, I will need you to assist Gutsy. Young master and I will make for Basilisk Fort from the north."

"Right. We can handle it." Saber said as he bows to Veteran Shot.

"Me and Starlight will follow Veteran Shot." Applejack said, volunteering herself and Starlight in following Veteran Shot.

"Yeah. Don't want to see him get hurt during the fight. After all, he's old." Starlight say as she tries her best to hold back a giggle.

Veteran Shot annoyed scowls, "Who you're calling 'old'?!"

"Err, no pony. No pony at all!"

"Best ta be careful what yew say, sugah cube." Applejack spoke to Starlight who is backing away from the same pony she unintentionally annoyed.

"I'll go with Pang." Ben spoke, volunteering himself to go with Pang.

Old Pony Pang nodded, responding, "Count on it. Let's do this."

Gutsy roared, "Fight! Finish everything!"

Gutsy charged off as he began charging and ramming most of Shu Dragon Guards, followed by striking his claws and swinging his double voulge at most of the enemy troops, causing most of them turned tail and ran for their lives.

Gutsy laughed playfully as he gave chase after them. Most of Virtue Dragon's Soldiers also joined and followed him to the battlefield as well.

Veteran Shot rolls his eyes as he say dryly, "There he goes again. He always does that when starting the battlefield. One of these days, he's gonna get himself killed."

"Well, he's one of the brave ones." Applejack comments with a chuckle. "Arrogant yet brave."

"And yet he revive each time. Amazing." Starlight spoke out, whistling in amazement.

Old Pony Pang grunts, "I appreciate his enthusiasm, but Lord Gutsy needs to realize how valuable he is to our cause. Either way, proceed with the mission. We'll take care of Gutsy."

"Understood." Veteran Shot said with a nod.

Virtue Dragon's Forces have split into two teams. Veteran Shot took his unit and headed to the north while Old Pony Pang and his forces followed Gutsy, who is leading his unit charging and engaging the enemies fiercely.

Seeing the enemies have withdrew and entered the garrison, Gutsy and his warriors followed and entered it as well. And just before they could do anything, the garrison's shut the doors tightly. Shu Warriors emerged from their hiding places such as crates, camps and armory. They all charged and engaged Gutsy and his warriors fiercely and determinedly.

Though Gutsy and his warriors fought bravely, they're outnumbered against the garrison's forces. Luckily, Old Pony Pang and his allies managed to breakthrough the gate and overwhelm the enemy forces.

Shu Officer grunted in anger, "You were called here to help us fight Azure Phoenix, yet now you turn your blades on us?!"

Ben hissed, "Look! We're sorry for this! And maybe if you guys just agreed to negotiation, then this wouldn't have had happen especially locking up Sunburst and Phobos!"

Shu Officer snaps furiously at Ben, "Shut up, Westerner! You have no right to criticize us when you all are thieves!"

Gutsy roared as he grabbed and teared his head out from Shu Officer's body.

Ben groaned, "Really, Gutsy? Was that really necessary?"

Gutsy roared, "For Virtue Dragon... I fight! Kill... enemy!"

Old Pony Pang sighs, "Why don't you relax a little hmm? Overzealous will just play into enemy's hoof."

"We're not out of woods yet, boys. More will be standing in our way." Xan said, seeing more enemies in the way still.

"Agreed. Better get a move on now."

Ben sighed, "Yeah. If this is the right to do..."

--------------------

Applejack and Starlight accompany Veteran Shot and his units, who are heading to the northern part of
Basilisk Fort. And so far, they have encountered some small resistance. They repelled them at ease. Both Applejack and Starlight did their best to help and protect the veteran general, making sure he doesn't get himself hurt a lot.

Veteran Shot groaned and grumbled, "What the hell are you lassies think you're doing?!"

"What do you think? We're keeping you safe." Starlight insists sternly to the annoyed old pony.

"Yep! We decided to protect you on this mission and dang nab, we ain't holding back!" Applejack added.

Veteran Shot screamed in annoyance, "Are you saying I'm too old to do my job?!"

"Whoa, whoa! We meant no disrespect, sugah cub e! We thought we could give you some help, that's y'all!"

"Right, calm down!" Starlight exclaims, making an excuse to avoid his wrath. "We just needed to protect you and...."

Veteran Shot angrily cuts her off, "I don't need your stinking protection, lassies! I can handle it by myself, thank you very much for your little insults."

Saber sighs as he shakes his head, "Way to go. You just make him angry than before."

Applejack hissed, "How on earth did Granny able to get along with this guy?"

"I have no idea. Whether he likes it or not, we can't just let him go off and gets himself killed." Starlight say in worry. Veteran Shot may deny it but he will need help, like it or no.

"Right. Let's follow and keep him safe."

Starlight and Applejack did their best to follow and keep an eye on Veteran Shot, making sure he doesn't do anything reckless and dangerous to prove that he's not an old pony. They all have managed to defeat most of Shu Warriors.

They then arrived at the bamboo forest, where they found a familiar old pony, who looked like Applejack's grandfather worn a greenish and silver armor.

"Grand Pear?!" Applejack gasps in surprise at this lookalike.

"Pear?! I don't do Pear! But my name is Yan!" The Grand Pear lookalike known as Old Yan snaps at the intruders sternly. "I will not let any of you go to my kingdom and get it! You'd have to take me down first!"

Starlight sighed, "Look, Old Yan, how about we try to talk, instead of fighting and getting killed. After all, I wouldn't want you to-?!"

"Get hurt?! Are you saying I'm too old to handle the situation?! Young lady, didn't anyone teach you to respect the elder?!"

"Yes, but not if the elders don't respect us back!"

"Still, we don't wanna fight you." Applejack explains to Old Yan in worry. She wouldn't dare hurt an old pony, even if that said pony is on the other side!

Old Yan scoffed, "Well, if you won't fight me, then I'll take care of that four eyes bearded pony since he's such a wussy."

Starlight gasped, "Hey! Nopony call my boyfriend a wussy!"

"Starlight, no!" Applejack protests but to no prevail.

Starlight charge straight at Old Yan, who easily evaded her magical blasts before tripped her to the mud. Applejack confront Old Yan as they both prepared to fight. No matter what, she's unable to fight him due to him being reminded of Grand Pear. And just before she could lasso him, Old Yan jumped up and slammed a sledgehammer on her to the ground.

"Still think I'm too old to handle?" Old Yan spoke out in confidence. He's satisfied that he show these two intruders a thing or two.

"Owie! Why didn't I listen?!" Starlight groans out as she feels her lumps.

"I know, but it looks like we're going to be beaten down by a lookalike of Grand Pear." Applejack groans out. "What a humiliation!"

“Hey, Old Yan, pick somepony on your age!" A familiar voice demanded. Old Yan looks up to see the one who snapped, Veteran Shot, coming up and with a weapon at the ready.

"Oh! A warrior at my age. I would like to see you try and get me, old pony!" Old Yan crows out eagerly.
Maybe this intruder will give him a better challenge!"

"Bring it on, you stinking old pony! I ain't afraid of you!"

Veteran Shot and Old Yan screamed wildly as they both charged and swung their weapons at each other fiercely and swiftly for few times. Veteran Shot grunted in pain as he turned and trotted off at once. Old Yan gave chase after him.

Sensing his opponent getting close to him, Veteran Shot jumped over while shooting out his arrow at Old Yan, who rolled over and evaded three to ten arrows. He then threw knives at the former, who firmly and strongly deflect the attacks. They both charged and engaged another fierce duel for ten rounds. They then clashed for the moment while pushing and ramming at each other.

"Well, looks like we may be wrong." Applejack comments as she and Starlight watch the battle. "I done guess these two don't need protection."

"They can handle themselves all right." Starlight admits in amazement.

Veteran Shot got thrown at the bamboo. Old Yan jumped and swung his sledgehammer on him but missed and hit the bamboo instead, which shot some water at his face. Old Yan yelped and coughed a bit before swung to the ground. And just before he could do anything, Veteran Shot armed and aimed his bow and arrow at him.

Old Yan grunted, "I've lost. So, finish me. This old pony has no use to anyone."

Veteran Shot scoffed, "I don't think so." He held his hoof out, much to Old Yan's surprise. "No one especially old pony like us is useless. In fact, my lord Virtue Dragon has never doubted my skills and loyalty to him. Your lord doesn't and is incompetent to respect you. Join me, and together we can defend our home and build the land of benevolence."

"The Land of Benevolence?" Old Yan sighed. He grabbed and held Veteran Shot's hoof to get up.
"Alright, I'm in. Since your lord got ambition than mine."

"Okay, I'm impressed." Starlight comments with a smile.

Applejack spoke up, head lowered while her ears folded back in shame, "Veteran Shot, sorry for not letting you do what you're good at."

"Yeah. And to be honest, we're just worried because-!"

"Old?" Veteran Shot laughed amusingly. "Lassie, has anyone told you that just because you're old, doesn't mean you're useless?"

"One time, when Applejack was turned into an old mare." Starlight comments with a smirk, much to Applejack's embarrassment.

"Come on, it was an accident and you know it." Applejack protests to Starlight. She wish that she never bought that story up to be begin with.

Veteran Shot chuckles once more, "Glad you learned your lesson. Besides, I'm not gonna retire because I still got some fighting spirit left in me. I'm gonna keep on fighting till the end."

"Glad to hear it."

"Right, we need someone like you around." Starlight explains with a smile. As long as Veteran Shot is stil fighting, he ain't going to retire just yet.

"Come, lads and lassies, we have a fort to take down!" Veteran Shot orders. Time to get back to what they were truly doing.

------------

Inside the bed chamber, Virtue Dragon was lying down on Tigress's lap. He was still in dilemma about getting Shu Province from his relative.

Tigress finally decides at this time to speak, "You're awfully been quiet, Lord Virtue. Is there some wrong?"

Virtue Dragon sighs as he respond, "It's nothing serious."

"Come on, don't lie to me."

Virtue Dragon sighed, "My own officers pleaded and begged me to attack and conquer the Land of Shu. But the problem is that this land was ruled by one of my relatives. I cannot simply just go and conquer it, unless he's the enemy and not one of my family."

"I see. But maybe they're right." Tigress spoke up thoughtfully, to his disbelief.

Virtue Dragon scolded, "My lady!"

"Hey, hear me out. From what I've seen and heard from the Shu Province and other lands, most of the soldiers and ponies aren't happy with Alchemist Dragon's government. He may have ruled the land peacefully, but how long will he able to withstand against the conquerors."

"That's why he asked for help. I assist him at once."

"That maybe so, but you're missing the point. The more he depend, the more he himself proved that he's not quite the good and strong leader that ponies need." Tigress explains seriously. "That will cause them to yearn and demanded to be conquered than serving him because he's not doing anything at all." "Lady Tigress..." Virtue Dragon spoke in concern.

"That's why your officers and these ponies of Shu wanted you to take over their land because they believed in you for showing kindness and strength. They wanted a strong and noble leader, who not only must defend the home but unite the land into one and protect them with might. You are the one."

"I see. I'd never thought of it. Thank you, my lady. Talking with you does calm me down."

Tigress giggled as she gave Virtue Dragon a kiss, "I am your wife, silly. That's she must do. Shall we have the moment?"

"Later. We should check on Sunburst and others. They should have reported back by now." Virtue Dragon suggests in concern. He better check on the mentioned ones.

Virtue Dragon and Tigress marched out from the bed chamber, they found Sandbar and Apple Bloom were chatting and muttered in concern about their friends.

"Sandbar! Apple Bloom! Have you see others?" Virtue Dragon orders to the two quickly.

"Err, since last month?" Sandbar ask nervously to Virtue Dragon.

"What others?" Apple Bloom ask with an innocent smile.

"Hmm... Tell me the truth now. What happen?" Virtue Dragon demands, narrowing his eyes. This sounded like a lie, they better explain!

"Uh oh. I think my sister's gonna kill me for this."

----------------

Old Pony Pang and his units marched down the long road, which could led them straight to southern part of Basilisk Fort. Instead, they found a destroyed bridge before them.

Old Pony Pang groans out in disbelief, "Well, well, this is a pain of the neck."

"Appears the enemy doesn't want us to go further." Gutsy spoke out suspiciously.

"Or probably trying to lure us into a trap no doubt." Ben said seriously, suspecting a trap when he sees it.

"There is no point going this way. We must find another path." Xan groans out with a sigh.

Old Pony Pang nodded as he and his army backed away from the damaged bridge. They turned and marched out at once. After an hour of travelling across bamboo forest, they eventually came across to the valley.

Gutsy marched out at once, leading the large army, followed by Old Pony Pang, Ben and Xan. Suddenly, a rockslide dropped and blocked their way in, alerting Gutsy and his units to turn back and breaking down the rocks.

"What was that?!" Ben demanded in alarm.

And just before Old Pony Pang could answer, a stray arrow struck on his chest, causing him to fall down from his Dragon Steed. This shocked and scared the rest of his units. More arrows were released and hailed upon them. Most of the soldiers got shot and killed, some were injured.

Xan grunted, "An ambush! Quick! Pull back!"

As ordered, the rear units quickly moved back at once and hid behind the rocks. An armored and muscular who looked like Bulk Biceps and his units of archers emerged from the hills.

The new comer known as Hailfire laughs madly, "YEAH! We got Virtue Dragon! Got nowhere to run now!"

"Bulk Biceps?!" Ben yelps as he recognizes this lookalike of the white muscular Pegasus from back home.

"That ain't my name. The name's Hailfire! And I hailed lots of arrows on you and your Lord Virtue for good!"

"You idiot! That is not Lord Virtue Dragon! It's Old Pony Pang!" Xan snaps angrily at Hailfire.

"What?! That wasn't Virtue Dragon?" Hailfire yelps in alarm as he took a closer look. He groans in embarrassment by his mistake, "Ugh! And it was such a good shot! No way we'd let you get off! Fire!"

As ordered, Shu Archers continued firing their arrows at the rear units, who are hiding behind the large border.

"Are you alright?! You've been shot!" Xan exclaims to Old Pony Pang, checking him to see how badly the shot was.

Old Pony Pang chuckles in defiance, "It's just a scratch. Nothing to worry about. Anyway, I can't die until Virtue Dragon's dream is realized."

"Well, I'm going in. I'll take care of him." Ben insists, steeping in. No one hits a friend on his watch, even if the attacker looks like a pal of his.

"Watch yourself. Hailfire may have been idiot, but he's strong. Weakness is give him a big headache." Xan suggests to Ben in precaution.

"Thanks."

Ben summoned his Hylian Shield for protection as he marched forward against the large army of archers. And so far, they haven't hit him.

"Give it up! You can't win! You lose!" Hailfire exclaims in arrogance.

Ben grunted, "No way I can reach them.” He then have a thought. "Maybe..."

Ben summoned and thrown his Gale Boomerang out. Hailfire and his archers yelped in surprise, dodging down from the attack.

"Ha! You miss!" Hailfire laughs madly once more.

Ben smirks as he laughs right back, "No, I didn't!"

As expected, The Gale Boomerang spun and turned its direction back at Hailfire, hitting back of his head. The muscular warrior yelled and screamed in pain while rubbing his head hard.

Ben quickly summoned his Megaton Hammer and hammered on the ground, causing the earthquake to shook and trip the archers down. He armed and aimed his weapon at them. They all panicked and screamed for mercy.

The rockslide boulders broke and tumbled down to pieces. Gutsy and his main army have arrived to their aid.

"You... Alright?" Gutsy ask Ben, seeing if the trio are all right.

"Yeah, I am. Pang, you okay?" Ben asks Old Pony Pang in concern.

Old Pony Pang grunted from feeling the arrow shot, "Don't worry. I'm alright. Let's keep moving. We have mission to complete."

"Agreed. No doubt Brawl will double his defense against us. It will be difficult battle." Xan sighs in concern.

The upcoming battle is going to be a difficult one indeed!

---------

After travelling and passing through the mazes of bamboo forest and terrains, Old Pony Pang and his units have managed to arrive at their destination - Basilisk Fort's Southern Gate. While they were still hiding behind the bushes, they observed and analyzed the situation. It was heavily guarded by Alchemist Dragon's forces. And at the same time, Ben spotted the sparkling light on the far north, Ben believed that his friends have made it through the northern terrain, and waiting to strike.

"They're here. So, what's next?" Ben asked in concern.

Old Pony Pang hummed calmly while looking at the battlefield, "To ensure the success of his plan, we need to draw out the enemies in front of the castle." He sighed, "But there are a few more of them than I thought. I don't like the idea of going up against them alone."

The Dragon Guard approached and reported, "My lord, I bring news! Lord Skysoar has sent Lord
Warpath and Lord Dragonspear as reinforcement."

As expected, both Warpath and Dragonspear have arrived at the battlefield, and bringing along are 5,000 soldiers. They all bowed and greeted humbly to Old Pony Pang.

Old Pony Pang hummed amusingly, "You came just as the right time. Looks like great minds think alike."

"This battle cannot be avoided if my lord is to achieve his goal. I will do what needs to be done," Dragonspear said firmly yet guilty.

Warpath sighed, "Our brother is a kind man, and as such has his weaknesses. It's our job to be his strength."

"In that case, let's draw the enemies out," Old Pony Pang said firmly, "Once we got all enemies away from the castle, then Lord Veteran Shot can launch the ambush. Let's do it, then."

As ordered, Old Pony Pang's Army and the reinforcement charged and attacked the castle walls, alerting the defenders to retaliate and fight back. Unfortunately for them, they're unable to hold and push Virtue Dragon's forces back as they have proven themselves strong and powerful for them to handle. This has forced Brawl sent most of his troops from northern gate to reinforcement to the south. Despite heavily outnumbered, Old Pony Pang and his units managed to fight back and defeated most of the troops. Ben, Dragonspear, Warpath and Gutsy charged and pushed the enemies back while defending their allied troops. Old Pony Pang and Xan did their best to shoot the enemies down from the castle walls, with the help of magical spells.

Seeing the northern gate has less enemy troops, Veteran Shot gave the loud battle cry as he led his unit to charge and engage the enemies at once. This scared the defenders off, thus allowing them to breach the northern gate at ease. This shocked and scared most of the soldiers to abandon the fight and flee the castle walls. Old Pony Pang and his units charged and breached the southern gate, entering the castle. They and Veteran Shot's units surrounded Brawl and his remaining loyalists.

Brawl snarled, "You treacherous thieves! This is how you repaid my father?!"

“Look, we done sorry about this, we really do.” Applejack pleads to Brawl. “But this has gone beyond talks now!”

“Right, give up so we can end this with less bloodshed.” Ben pleads to Brawl seriously.

"Never! I will never surrender to thieves especially filthy westerners!" Brawl snapped in anger.

Brawl screamed in anger as he charged and attacked Ben, who struggled to fight back due to the former reminded him too much of his older half-brother. The Prince of Shu Province slammed and swung his sword at Ben off. Just before he could finish Twilight's boyfriend off, Saber rammed and slammed Brawl off. Both of them fought and battled with each other fiercely. The adopted son of Virtue Dragon has easily evaded and dodged the attacks before punched and knocked him down for few times. Recovered from the surprise attack, Brawl was about to grab the sword but moved aside.

"Surrender now, Brawl. You've lost," Saber said firmly.

"Never! You'll regret for what you have done!" Brawl snarled, "The fortress has fallen! Retreat to Benevolent Castle!"

As ordered, the soldiers approached and stayed close to Brawl as they all performed the teleportation spell to escape the battlefield. Seeing the enemies fled, they all cheered out wildly and happily as they have won the battle.

"Thanks, Saber." Ben thanked in relief.

Saber smiled as he helped Ben to get up, "No worries. What friends for."

Old Pony Pang sighed in relief, "Well, well... That was tougher than I thought. We're close to conquer the Shu Province."

"Yeah, sure... It is..." Ben said in guilt.

Applejack sighed, "Ben, you know that's not really Golden Sword."

"I know. It still feels hurts of what we did," Ben said in concern.

"Advisor Pang!" The loud familiar angry voice shouted, alerting Ben and his friends. They turned to their back as they found Virtue Dragon, Tigress, Sandbar, Apple Bloom and the rest of soldiers have arrived. Climbing down from his dragon steed, Virtue Dragon approached to Old Pony Pang, "What have you done?! I thought I told you not to mobilize!"

And just before anyone could explain, Virtue Dragon and his forces looked up and found peasants of Basilisk Fort and other territories emerged from their homes. They then approached to them. Virtue
Dragon sighed in annoyance and concern as he approached to peasants. And just before he could explain, the peasants thanked him happily and even cheered for him to come and accepted to be their new leader. Virtue Dragon was in shock and surprised by their reaction.

"I... I don't understand..." Virtue Dragon said in concern and shock.

"Is it obvious?" Old Pony Pang asked playfully, "These ponies are happy for you to be their new leader."

Tigress nodded in understanding, "See what I mean, my lord? I told you that if Alchemist Dragon doesn't do anything right now or even make his own stand and save the land, he'll lose supports. Now, they chose you."

"Well, that makes sense..." Starlight said in surprise, "I mean Alchemist Dragon doesn't do anything to fight off Azure Phoenix and his forces, instead relying on others to do his dirty work."

“Right, still feels wrong though.” Applejack mumbles, shaking her head in sadness.

“Don’t feel sorry for him. He got what’s coming to him for what he did to Sunburst and Phobos!”

"I... I don't believe it..." Virtue Dragon said in surprise, "I'm still not sure if this is the right way, and I might hurt my relatives. But now I know what we must do. We will do my best to lead and protect you, my ponies as your protector."

The ponies and soldiers cheered wildly and happily for Virtue Dragon's accepting to become their leader. While everyone is celebrating for him being their leader, Old Pony Pang yelped in pain as he fell his knee to the ground hard, alerting everyone of him.

"Pang!" Virtue Dragon cried in concern, "What happen?!"

Old Pony Pang coughed some blood out while holding tight his wound on chest, "Looks like I misread the remainder of my life."

"Damn it! This is all my fault!" Xan exclaimed in shame, "I should dissuade you to continue, and let me heal you! We should retreat for your recovery."

"And delay the battlefield?" Old Pony Pang asked painfully and weakly, "That might not be best idea. Because if we delay, Alchemist Dragon will finish us off before we could advance. It's better that I take the risk than safety..."

"Damn it, Pang! Why must you be stubborn to accomplish your mission?!" Virtue Dragon exclaimed sadly yet painfully.

“He’s like Applejack! Once she’s determined to do something, she won’t stop until she succeeds or drop down!” Ben complains. “Uh, no offense, AJ.”

“None taken.” Applejack grunts, feeling a bit embarrassed at her own stubborn nature.

Old Pony Pang sighed weakly, "My lord, let me take this chance to speak. There are times, when it can be best to hide your true face. No matter what happens, you must keeping showing the ponies a benevolent visage."

Hurt and sad to see him dying, Virtue Dragon sighed, "Enough. I understand. Say no more..."

Old Pony Pang turned and looked at Ben, "As for you, I know you want to save your friends so badly. But sometimes, there are somethings are much more important than friendship. And as such, you must put your personal feelings aside to fight and protect your home, your ponies and even doing the right thing, or else you lose everything and everyone. You must make a sacrifice and let go of your feelings to achieve your goal. I know it's too much to ask. But... Promise me that you'll not lose sight of what's important especially not letting your feelings for Twilight to interfere. She and her friends may not want to come back."

“Yeah, with all due respect, I doubt that’s going to happen.” Starlight said, knowing that Ben is determined to get Twilight back, no matter what the feelings.

Ben hissed, "I can't... I loved her too much. But I promised that I will be here to help my friends. And I can and will save Twilight and others. I won't give up on them..."

“Right, neither will we, sugah cube.” Applejack spoke in agreement.

“And I can’t let go of my feelings! Feelings is what works!”

Old Pony Pang sighed, "Stubborn as always. That's what makes Skysoar worried of you the most. But... I hope you're right. This is... my final lecture..." He turned and looked at Virtue Dragon, "Fly high... my lord... to the top..."

And just before anyone could say anything, Old Pony Pang slowly fainted and fell back on the ground as he gave the last breathe. Everyone shouted and cried tearfully for his death. He barely joined and served the army for five years only. He's gone now...

END...

To be Continued...

Author's Note:

Main Casts:
Jason Marsden: Ben Valorheart
Ashleigh Ball: Applejack
Kelly Sheridan: Starlight Glimmer
Michael McConnohie: Narrator
Richard Cansino: Old Pony Pang
Johnathan Frakes: Xan
Alan Shearman: Veteran Shot, Gutsy, Soldiers
Will Friedle: Saber Dragoon, Soldiers

Minor Casts:
Dave B. Mitchell: Virtue Dragon
G.K Bowes: Tigress
Michelle Creber: Apple Bloom
Vincent Tong: Sandbar, Soldiers
Ian Hanlin: Sunburst
Chris Sanders: Phobos, Alchemist's Officer
Terrence Stone: Dragonspear
Steve Kremar: Warpath Temper
Christopher McCullough: Alchemist Dragon
Kyle Hebert: Brawl
William Shatner: Old Yan
Michael Dobson: Hailfire

Next Chapter 34: Towards the Justice - Virtue Dragon's Forces are close to the Benevolent Palace, ready to conquer it. However, they're now facing a powerful warrior, who is standing between them and their cause. Will they able to overcome it and convince Alchemist Dragon and his forces to stand down?

PreviousChapters Next