• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 8,318 Views, 487 Comments

Stuck In Equestria - VaporingRat



A human travels to Equestria in a DeLorean and causes all sorts of mischief.

  • ...
42
 487
 8,318

The Friendship Dilemmas Of Twilight And Declan

“Uuurrrghh... Twi, I think I’m gonna hurl...” I groan, clutching my stomach as I lay in my bed. I felt like shit, having already puked up last night’s dinner all over the floor just half an hour ago.

“One second! Spike! Where is that bucket?!” Twilight shouted from the lower level of the bedroom.

“Coming Twilight!” Spike called back, running up the stairs with a metal bucket in his claw. Twilight snatched it from his claws with her magic and swiftly brought it up to me, where I leaned over to grab it with my hands, bringing it to my head just in time, as I blew chunks and stomach acid into the bucket’s interior.

Twilight levitated the bucket from my grasp and gave me a cloth, which I used to wipe around my mouth.

"How do you feel?" She asked, using her magic to pull a book from a shelf.

"Like utter shit..." I groaned, giving the cloth back to Twilight. "I feel like I'm about to puke all the time and I feel tired." Twilight nodded, then started to leaf through the book, looking for something.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Looking through this book of illnesses to see what's wrong with you," she replied, not looking up from the book as she continued to skim the pages.

"Don't bother, I know what I've got." Twilight looked up at me sharply, snapping the book shut.

"Really? Is it some kind of flu, or is it some kind of bodily reaction to something, like what happened when you had too much exposure to magic? Oh! What if it's a disease from Earth? Would it be contagious to ponies? Would magic even effect it? Maybe-"

"Twilight! It's just food poisoning," I interrupt her. She stared at me for a few seconds, looking disappointed at the lack of a rare alien disease.

"But how? All the food is well kept and Spike's always careful to wash his claws..."

----FLASHBACK----

"I'm not sure about this, Twilight," I say, as I stare warily at the sandwich that sat in front of me on the library's kitchen table. "There are a lot of reasons why we Humans don't eat flowers."

"I know you're cautious, but there's not much that you can eat in Equestria, and if this works, then you won't have to be so careful when eating," she explained, giving me a reassuring smile from across the table. "Besides, I've done some research and I've found that some ponies are able to eat meat somehow without any ill effects, so maybe the same logic applied to Humans."

"Oh alright," I sighed. "I'll give it a shot." So with some caution and trepidation, I picked up the flower sandwich and took a sizable bite out of it. I chewed the bread and flora in my mouth slowly, savouring the flavour and the taste.

"Well?" Twilight asked, as I tentatively swallowed.

"A little stringy, slightly sweet as well, but it's alright I guess..."

-------

I give her a groggy, deadpan stare.

“Oh.” Twilight looked away from me when it dawned upon her. “I’m sorry Declan, I should’ve realised this would happen...”

“Hey, Its alright Twi. Its only food poisoning, it isn’t going to kill me,” I say, patting her on the head, which seemed to cheer her up. And seeing her cheer up made me feel better also. That is, until something start travelling upwards. “Bucket.”

“Pardon?”

“Bucket!” Twilight realised what I wanted and brought the bucket back to me for round 2, and just in the nick of time. After I had stopped, she left with the bucket to dispose of its contents, ready for the next volley. She came back after a few minutes, with a clean bucket and a glass of water with a bendy straw floating in her magical grasp.

“Drink this,” she said, levitating the glass of water over to me. I gently took the glass into my hands and took small sips through the straw.

“Thanks,” I say, as she takes the glass away once I’m done.

“Declan, I’m really sorry for all of this. If I knew this was gonna happen, I’d-”

“Stop saying sorry Twi, you sound like a Canadian. Anyway, its not your fault that I ate the darned thing.”

“I know, but I just can’t help but feel responsible, so I’m going to set it right! Spike grab my home nurses guide!” She called to her assistant, “We’ll do everything by the book!” She looked at me with an excited smile.

“Uhh.... I don’t like where this is going...”

“I’m going to take care of you until you’re better! I just need to go out to get some supplies, so I won’t be long!” She gave me a pat on the head before rushing off, shouting for Spike at the top of her lungs.

“Twilight wait!” I tried to call out to her, but it was no use. She had already gone out of shouting range and my voice wasn’t at peak vocal levels right now. Which left me lying in bed, hoping that she wouldn’t inadvertently make things worse.

And wondering where the bucket was...


Not long after Twilight had left me, I had dozed off into a peaceful, dreamless sleep, in which I just floated in a haze of grey. And I also had the feeling of being watched, despite the fact that no one else was there...

I was awoken from my dream when Twilight gently nudged me with a hoof to my side, followed by a “wake up, Declan!”

“Ngh, what’cha want? Was sleeping...” I grumble, reaching for my glasses on the bedside table and putting them on.

“I have more water here. Its important to have something in your stomach, and you need to stay hydrated,” she said, lifting a glass of water over to me so I could drink from it. However, she only let me take a few sips before taking it back. “Have you been sick again?” She asked.

“No, I was just resting until you woke me up.” I groan as I stretch my arms. “Anything interesting outside today?”

“Well, there was a stampede of cows, but Applejack managed to stop them before they could do any harm to the town or themselves. They’re throwing a celebration tomorrow for Applejack saving the town, and I get to give a speech!” She smiled at the thought of giving the whole town an award winning speech, whilst I just rolled my eyes.

“Let me guess, they’re letting Pinkie Pie set the whole thing up.”

“Actually, the mayor wanted it to be a serious and formal occasion, so the town hall is being set up instead.”

“Huh, I bet Pinkie’s already going insane just thinking about someone else setting up a party.” I shift in my bed, trying to find a new comfortable spot. “You know, that rest did me the world of good... maybe I could get out of bed now?” I ask inquisitively, sitting upwards in the bed.

“Nope.” A purple magical field congregated itself on my chest and pushed me back down to the bed gently.

"Why? I feel better!" I protested.

"In cases of food poisoning, it is recommended to wait 24 hours after the vomiting ends, just to play it safe," she replied smugly.

"Geez, you're acting just like my mum..." I groaned, causing Twilight to giggle.

"Well somepony has to look after you," she said, smiling. I smiled back.

"Can Ah at least stretch mah legs Ma? Them purdy beauts are startin' ta ache somethin' fierce," I ask in a very poor imitation of Applejack's accent, making Twilight laugh.

"Okay okay! Just for a minute though.” I flung the covers off of me and leaped out of bed, stretching my arms and legs.

“Hey, do you think I can get something to eat? I am famished,” I ask as I finish stretching and look around the room.

“Sure, a couple of slices of toast shouldn’t hurt. Stay there, I’ll bring them up to you," she said, turning and walking down the stairs from the second floor's ledge. She passed through the door leading to the library foyer below, closing it behind her.

I glance around the room, seeing nothing unusual. Looking out of the window, I could see a beautiful clear blue sky, except for a small cloud in the distance, with a familiar multi-hued tail hanging off the side. Chuckling, I walk around the ledge, mindful of the sudden drop.

'I don't know why, but I feel pretty much back to normal. Usually something like food poisoning lasts for a day or two, but I was barely ill for 12 hours,' I muse, thinking deeply as I walk around, stretching my legs.

-------MEANWHILE-------

Twilight closed the door to the bedroom, and sighed. She slowly trotted down the stairs to the foyer, lost in deep thought.

"How's Declan, Twilight?" Spike's question startled the Unicorn, ripping her from her thoughts.

"Oh, uhh... he's fine. Feeling better," she replied, going back into deep thought once more.

"Are you okay Twi? You seem distant," Spike inquired, snapping Twilight out if her thoughts again.

"I'm fine, Spike. I'm just thinking about something," she said, heading into the kitchen. Using her magic, she levitated two slices of bread over to the toaster, sliding them into the toaster's slots, but paused upon turning it on. She smiled as an idea struck her, bringing a twinkle of excitement to her eyes. Turning the toaster on, she trotted out of the kitchen and headed towards one of the many bookshelves that ran around the walls of the library.

'Maybe there's a book about how I feel...' she mused as she browsed the shelves.


"-But there wasn't a book about what I was feeling. I thought about asking Princess Celestia, but I didn't know what to say..." Twilight explained, as her conversing partner calmly nodded and drank some of her tea.

"You were right to come and see me Twilight, for I know what it is you are feeling," Rarity said, lowering her teacup back onto its saucer. They both sat around a table in the kitchen of Rarity's house and business, a teapot and two pairs of teacups and saucers neatly resting on it's surface, along with a plate of low fat oat biscuits ("it's unladylike to eat fatty foods when one is concerned about their figure" -Rarity).

"Really? What is it?" The purple Unicorn asked, lowering her own teacup and leaning forward across the table to Rarity.

"You're in love, dear." Rarity answered, simply and bluntly, taking Twilight by surprised as she recoiled away from the fashionista.

"What?! That's preposterous! I don't love him!" Twilight exclaimed. Rarity gave her a deadpan look.

"Oh please dear, I've seen how you two behave together. Why, last week when that whole debacle with the Gala tickets was happening, I noticed how you acted when Declan complimented you on your outfit." The memory of that particular moment caused Twilight to blush at the thought of it. Rarity smiled victoriously, saying "And I bet that's not the only time you two have had a... 'moment'." Twilight squirmed under Rarity's statement and her scrutinizing gaze, before seceding.

"No, it isn't..." Twi said with a heavy sigh.

"If I may ask, when did these feelings develop?" Rarity asked, lifting her teacup up once more.

"Back when we were in the castle in the Everfree, he saved my life. He sacrificed himself so we could defeat Nightmare Moon," she said after a heavy sigh. "Then there were things that he would say and do, like help me reshelve the library, or compliment me on my looks, and it would make me feel warm inside..."

Twilight looked down at her teacup, gazing into the liquid inside. After a moment of contemplation, she looked back up at her friend. "I've never really been in love before. What do I do Rarity?"

Rarity gave Twilight a reassuring smile, saying "don't fret darling, I know exactly what to do..."


"Well that was an experience..." a voice grumbled above Twilight's head as they approached the library. They had just come back from the ceremony that honoured Applejack for saving the town, which didn't go exactly as planned.

"It could've gone better..." Twilight sighed, using her magic to open the library's door. They walked through, when a thought struck her. "Declan, where's Spike?"

"Rarity took him, saying she needed his help with something," the Human replied, taking his fedora and duster off and placing them on the hat stand by the door, which Twilight closed.

'Okay Twi, remember what Rarity told you,' she thought, staring at Declan as he trudged into the kitchen, probably in search of food. She followed him into the kitchen, watching as he started to rummage through the cupboards .

"Declan, I was wondering..."

"Hmm?"

"Back on your world, Earth... do you have a special somepony?" He paused his search for food to turn and stare at the Unicorn.

"Do you mean 'special someone', like a girlfriend?" He asked.

"Y-yeah..."

"... Nope. Don't have one. Never had one, actually," he said, pondering the subject.

"You've never been in love?"

"No, not really. Why'd you ask?"

"Uh..."

'Think Twilight, THINK.'

"R-research purposes."

'Real smooth...'

"Ah, well I can't help you about love and relationships and stuff. Sorry," he said, continuing the hunt of food by moving to the fridge, opening it. “Do you want anything to eat? You didn’t have breakfast this morning.”

“Uh, sure...” Declan watched in befuddlement as Twilight absentmindedly wandered out of the kitchen, apparently in deep thought. The Unicorn went over to the table in the centre of the library foyer, plopping her rump on a wooden stool, pondering the results of her enquiries.

‘So he‘s never had a special somepony, or special someone as he put it. So he may be feeling what I’m feeling, but isn’t sure about it. I know Rarity told me to let him know by doing certain things and sending the right signals, but those could mean nothing to him! He is, after all, an alien from another world. Maybe-’

*prod*

“AAAHHHH!”

“Woah! Hey!” Declan recoiled, having poked Twilight in the side of the head. “Sorry about that. I tried speaking to you, but you were completely out of it. I didn’t mean to scare you,” Declan explained, setting down two plates of food on the table, whilst taking a seat next to Twilight. “I brought you lunch by the way.”

“Thanks,” Twilight muttered in slight embarrassment, glancing down at her plate. On it was was a slice of bread, with carrot slices, daisy flowers and diced lettuce scattered haphazardly upon its surface, followed by a messy dribbling of salad cream, and topped with another slice of bread that appeared to have been dropped upon the rest of the meal from the sky. To top it off, it was sliced into two halves, albeit not well co-ordinated. All in all, it nonetheless resembled a sandwich. At least it wasn’t on fire.

“I thought you said you could cook...” Twilight quizzed Declan, who had a plate full of carrot slices and was munching on one.

“I can. I just suck at sandwiches. And bagels. Especially bagels. Don’t ask about those,” he replied, grabbing a handful of carrot slices and shoved them into his mouth, crunching them thoughtfully. After a minute of crunching, and swallowing, he asked “Are you okay? You seem off today.”

“Me? Nope. I’m fine. Perfectly fine.” Her voice increasing in pitch, she added a smile, but it was slightly forced and weak. Declan squinted at her in suspicion, before shrugging and continued to shovel carrots into his mouth.

“Did you see how Applejack was acting today? She was so out of it, like Pinkie on a normal day. And she looked like she hadn’t slept in hours,” he said after he swallowed his last mouthful.

“Maybe she’s got a lot of work to do down at the farm, and its been running her ragged,” Twilight suggested, eating her sandwich absentmindedly.

“Yeah, that could be it. Maybe she could do with some help, since I’ve got nothing on right now.” He stood up from the table, heading over to the hat stand and grabbing his fedora and duster. “I’ll just pop out and see if she’s okay. I promise to take it easy!” He said, opening the door and closing it behind him.

“Goodbye...” Twilight muttered, staring at the door.


I peered around the trunk of a particularly sizeable apple tree, watching Applejack as she worked, kicking the trees with her hind legs and making the apples fall off into the baskets placed below.

“Eh, she seems fine...” I whisper to myself shrugging as she bucked yet another tree. However, I wasn’t too sure about that when she started to wobble, looking like she might doze off at any moment. But she recovered, shaking the obvious signs of sleep from her face and attempted to kick the same tree she had done just a few seconds ago, missing as she did so. She realigned herself ready for another try, but struck one of the apple baskets, scattering the fruit everywhere. I decided to approach.

“Afternoon Applejack,” I called in greeting, walking over to the orange pony.

“Whuh? Oh it’s you Declan. What do ya want, Ah’m busy.” She huffed, moving on to a tree that had apples on it this time. I followed.

“I just wanted to drop by and say hi, and congratz for the trophy. I wasn’t around for the incident with the stampede, but I heard it was amazing how you got all those cows under control.” Applejack stopped right next to the tree, and I stopped behind her.

“...”

“Applejack?” I reach a hand out to touch her back, but retract it sharply when she made a strange whinny-like noise. I relaxed when I realised that the whinnying sound was her snoring.

"Oh for crying out loud... APPLEJACK! WAKE UP!" I shout in her ear, startling the orange pony.

"Wuh?! Whozzat?! Oh, it's jus' you Declan," she sighed, trying to shake the sleep out of her head. "What'cha want? Ah'm busy."

"Yeah, you're totally hard at work," I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. "What on Earth are you doing, anyway?"

"Ah'm bucking apple trees," Applejack replied deadpan.

"I gathered that, but why though?"

"It's applebuck season," she said as she went back to applebucking trees, starting with one she had done already.

"Okay, what is applebuck season?"

"Time of year when we harvest all the apples from the trees before autumn. Ah'd usually do it with Big Mac, but he's gone an' hurt himself, so it's jus' me." She looked up at the tree, noting it's lack of apples. "Consarnit," she cursed, moving on to a tree that actually had apples.

"Maybe I could lend a hand?" I asked.

"No!" I recoiled sharply from the stern and aggressive response. "Ah don't need no help, ah can do this all by my own."

"I didn't ask if I could help, I asked if I can lend a hand," I replied rather sternly myself. Applejack mused over my reply for a moment, before snorting.

"Still the same thing," she said, successfully bucking a tree with apples on it.

"Gosh, you're more stubborn than Rainbow Dash, you know that?" I sigh in frustration, throwing my arms up in the air.

"Rainbow Dash? Why does that- oh! Ah almost forgot, Ah'm supposed ta meet her in town!" After this sudden realisation, she ran off, darting through the trees.

"Hey! Wait up!" I shout after her, trying to run after the speedy earth pony.


"We'll it's about time!" Rainbow called out impatiently to Applejack, who was walking towards the Pegasus.

"Wait... *huff* up... *puff* dammit..." I wheeze as I trail behind Applejack a little ways, exhausted from trying to keep up with Applejack across the town.

"Oh hey Declan, here to see me create a sonic rainboom?"

"A... *gasp* sonic boom?" I asked as I caught my breath.

"No, a sonic rainboom. Everypony in Equestria knows what a sonic rainboom is, right Applejack?"

"Zzzzzzz...."

We both looked at Applejack, who was standing stock still and fast asleep.

"Hey Applejack!” Rainbow shouted, startling Applejack back into consciousness.

“Ah’m awake!” She said, looking around sharply before turning to look at us.

“Yeah yeah- hey, you ready for this?” Rainbow asked her sleep deprived friend, who nodded somewhat blearily. “Great! Then get on top of the platform will ya? We’re burning daylight!” Rainbow said, pointing up at the top of a thirty-foot wooden structure with a platform on top.

“... How did I not notice this?” I murmur to myself, gazing up at the wooden structure as it reached for the heavens. “So, uh... why did you want Applejack to go up there?” I ask Rainbow.

“So she can give me a boost,” Rainbow replied, gesturing to a large see-saw that sat in front of the wooden platform. “She jumps from up there, and lands on this end, sending myself, standing on the other end, high into the sky with enough speed to help me create a sonic rainboom!” She explained, trying her best to make it sound totally awesome. I was skeptical.

“Doesn’t this seem a little dangerous...?” I ask, looking up worriedly at the top of the structure.

“Nah, its perfectly safe! Besides, what’s life without some risk?” She said, gently bumping me with a hoof.

“Okay! Ready!” Applejack called down from above.

“Thats my cue.” Rainbow quickly darted over to the see-saw, standing on the end farthest from the platform, which lowered itself to the ground as she stood on it. “Alright! Jump AJ!”

“Oh geez...!” I gasp as Applejack jumps off the platform, and starts falling like a stone. I grab my fedora and cover my face with it, to avoid looking at what was gonna happen.

WHUMP!

I cringe at the sound of Applejack hitting something solid from a thirty-foot drop. Slowly, I pull my hat away from my face, and gasp in shock. Applejack had completely missed the platform, instead landing belly down on the ground. What was shocking however, was that Applejack was standing up and shrugging it off like nothing had happened.

“I- but- ger- ah-” I gibber, trying to process the event.

“Dangit AJ you missed! You’ll have to try again.” I whip my head around to face Rainbow so fast it could’ve snapped from sheer force.

“She could’ve died, and you want her to do it again?!” I yell in a mixture of shock and anger.

“Hey, she volunteered for this! And besides, a fall from that height won’t kill her! I’ve fallen from much higher before, and I survived!” Rainbow retorted, waving her front hooves in the air to prove her point.

“Can’t say the same for your brain cells...” I mutter, scowling at her.

“What’d you say about me?!” Rainbow asked aggressively, her wings popping as she prepared to take a threatening stance. However, our argument was interrupted by another WHUMP! as Applejack proved that gravity existed once more. We both looked at the mare, as she got back up, shook her head a little, then smiled. “Don’t worry none, Ah’ll try again,” she said, before heading round the back of the platform to try again.

“See? Perfectly fine.” Rainbow gave me a smug look, and I sighed in frustration, throwing my arms in the air.

“Okay, fine! Kill yourselves, cos I ain’t calling an ambulance if you break something.” I walk over to a nice patch of grass, and sat down on it, getting a good view of the whole trainwreck that was about to happen.

And it went on for some time, with Applejack going up, then down, about half a dozen times, with each botched attempt criticized by Rainbow as she stood impatiently on her end of the see-saw. I winced at each thud against the ground, and at one point I thought Applejack had really snuffed it when she hit the ground head first, but then she got back up, only slightly dazed.

“Alright, this ain’t working!” Applejack called out, as she picked herself up from her last attempt. “Ah have a better idea!” She said, as she began to walk away from the structure, and over towards me.

Oh.

Oh no.

“Hey, don’t get me involved in this. I don’t plan on dying again anytime soon...” I say cautiously, as Applejack advanced. “Heeeey... don’t come any closer! My friend has a fax machine to your princess!” I say threateningly, now backing away. Applejack then began to trot faster, and I turned round to run away. But I barely got a few paces away when something thin wrapped around my chest and tightened, pinning my arms to my side. It went taught, and I was swept off my feet, hitting the ground hard, my hat falling off in the process.

Then I was dragged across the floor over to where the see-saw and the wooden structure was. Rainbow was still on her end of the see-saw, looking bored and examining a hoof whilst lying on her back. Applejack dragged me to the other end, at which point I was frightened that she was gonna toss me over the edge of the platform. Then, with a grunt she slumped me over her head, then shoved me onto the raised end of the see-saw. I fell on my back onto it, lowering it gently until my end lightly touched the ground.

“Yawn...” Rainbow said from the other end, whilst I came to terms with the fact that I was perfectly safe and not dying.

“Oh... maybe not,” Applejack muttered, backing away. “Okay, one more try. Ah’m sure to get it this time!” She said, mostly to herself, as she quickly went around the tower.

“ACK!” Realising what she was about to do, I rolled off the see-saw, sending my end flying up into the air, and sending dash’s end plummeting to the ground. Dash was unprepared for the sudden drop, and subsequent thud with the ground, catching her off guard and causing her to lose balance, making her smack her head against the wooden board.

“Here Ah go!” Applejack shouted from the top of the tower, mere moments before she jumped. I yelped and rolled as fast as I could, whilst Rainbow groggily stood back up. She regained her senses as split second too early, her eyes widening just as Applejack was about to hit the board.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!”

Poor Rainbow was sent flying high into the air, all that could be seen was an arcing streak that vaguely resembled a rainbow.

“You’re welcome!” Applejack shouted after Rainbow, before trotting away at a brisk pace.

“HEY! I’m still tied up here!” I yell in annoyance, but Applejack didn’t hear, leaving me stuck on the ground.


“I’m back...” I sigh as I push open the library door, taking off my coat and hat and hanging them on the coat stand by the door.

“There you are!” Twilight said as she turned to face me with a not so pleased look on her face. I gulp.

“Whatever I did, I didn’t do it,” I said as non-guiltily as possible, as I closed the door.

“I thought you were going to see if Applejack was okay, not to help her in almost killing Rainbow Dash!” Twilight shouted in annoyance.

“Ah, yes... I can explain,” I begin, but pause. “Wait, how’d you find out?”

“Rainbow Dash crashed through the window.” Ah.

“Well, to be fair, it was all AJ’s fault. I couldn’t do much, since she tied me up, then sent Rainbow flying and walked off without freeing me.” Twilight nodded as she listened to my explanation, before frowning.

“How’d you get free?” She asked.

“I used to watch reruns of MacGyver.”

“Pardon?”

“I’ll explain later. When’s dinner? I’m utterly famished.” I walk past Twilight and across the room to peer into the kitchen, seeing it devoid of any activity.

“We were waiting until you got back...” Twilight sighed.

“Excellent! I’ll make some soup then.” I strode into the kitchen, opening cupboards and drawers, grabbing a pot and spoon and various ingredients.


The next day found me alone in the library, whilst Twilight and Spike went off to deal with Applejack. Twilight had left me with a list of things to do, and I set to deal with today’s work. So far, I had dusted the shelves, made sure all the books in the library were in the correct order, swept the floor, made the bed sheets, cleaned the windows (Twilight had used a spell to repair the one broken by Dash), and waited patiently for someone to visit.

As I sat and watched the door, I realised that in the amount of time that I’ve been here, not one single pony had entered the library with the reason to read a book.

“Hey Declan! I need a book!”

“GAH!” I jump in surprise as the door is thrown open, revealing Vinyl Scratch in the doorway. “Oh, its you Vinyl. Sorry, its been a busy day.” Vinyl glanced around the empty library, the only noise being a cricket chirping somewhere.

“I can see that...” she said slowly, presumably raising an eyebrow under her large purple glasses.

“Music section’s over there,” I say, jerking my thumb at a bookshelf behind me. She nodded and trotted to browse the shelf.

“You heard about the baked bads?” Vinyl asked casually, as she peered at the spines of the books.

“Do I even want to know?” I ask cautiously.

“Pinkie made them. Anypony who’s eaten them is struck by food poisoning. Tavi’s one of the victims, so I’m finding a book for her to read while she get’s better.” I was surprised at Vinyl, she wasn’t talking like her normal self. It was calm and somber, and she spoke using actual words instead of slang.

“I’m sorry to hear about Octavia. Wish her well for me,” I say, as Vinyl picks a book from the shelf with magic and moves over to me.

“Will do. I’d like to take this out, please.”

“Sure.” We stand there in silence for several seconds.

“...”

“...”

“... aren’t you supposed to stamp it or something?” She asked.

“No one’s ever checked out a book whilst I’ve been here, so I don’t actually know what to do. Just go and see Tavi, I’ll brave Twilight’s wrath later,” I say, giving the DJ a pat on the head.

“Thanks Declan, I owe you one.” With that, she walked out.

“If you ever want to talk, I’ll be here!” I call out to her just before she closes the door, leaving me alone.

...

Chirrp chirrp.

“.. fucking cricket.”


BAM!

“I’MMA WAKE!” I shout, floundering in my chair after being rudely awoken from resting my eyes when the door was violently thrown open.

“Sure you are...” Spike muttered as he stepped inside. “The Princess sent you a message,” he said, holding up a scroll. This caught my attention, as I leap out of my chair and grab it from the young dragon.

“Cheers Spike, I’ll read this right away!” I start to fumble with the ribbon keeping it together, my hands jittery.

“Before you do, would you like a snack?” He asked, holding up a muffin. I pause, looking at it. It’s appearance was questionable, since it was a sickly green an- is that a worm?!

“Pinkie made it?” I ask cautiously, eyeing the baked ‘good’ warily.

“Yep! They’re delicious!”

“... I’ll pass.” Spike shrugged, and shoved the offered muffin into his mouth, making me cringe slightly, before I return to the letter. Finally ripping apart the ribbon, I unfurl the scroll and read it’s contents.

Dear Declan,

First off, I must apologise for the lack of progress on helping you get home. My little ponies researching how to make ‘petroleum’, as you put it, are not having much success.

The reason for this letter is because we request your presence in Canterlot, as well as your vehicle. A royal guard escort will arrive in three days to take you and your vehicle to Canterlot Castle, where you shall be staying for as long as your visit is necessary . If you wish to stay for longer, then it can be arranged.

No reply to this letter is necessary , but a letter of acknowledgement wouldn’t be amiss.

Yours sincerely,

Princess Celestia

I reread the letter, its contents throwing me for a loop. The Princess wants me to go to Canterlot? With the DeLorean? Why? And why is it mandatory? Puzzling…

I run around the library foyer, finding a quill, ink pot and parchment, before returning to the table and writing a reply acknowledging the ‘request’. Once finished, I turn to see Spike in the doorway still, chowing down on yet another baked bad.

“Send please,” I say, brandishing the rolled up scroll in my hand. He gulped down his mouthful and takes it from me, holding it up and bathing the paper in emerald green fire.

“I’ll let you know if she replies, I’m gonna get more muffins!” Spike said as she rushed off, closing the door behind him.

I sigh, mulling over the letter in my mind as I sit back down.

Why would the Princess want me to go to Canterlot? Is it about getting me home? Can they actually do that? Maybe... maybe the visit is for them to tell me its impossible, at least in regards to making fuel out of oil. Maybe such a task is impossible for them because they’re not advanced yet. Heck, they don’t even have steam trains yet!

...

Thinking about trains is making me hungry. maybe I should rustle up some lunch, or-

Knock knock.

I look at the door in surprise. Who knocks to enter a public library?

Grumbling, I get up and walk over, opening the door. On the other side is Vinyl, still wearing her glasses. “Hi Vinyl, what’s up?” I ask.

“Hey. You said if I ever needed to talk...” she began, but I hold out a hand to silence her.

“Say no more.” I move aside to let her in, closing the door behind her. “Do you want a drink or some food? I was gonna get something to eat.”

“I’d like a bagel,” she replied somberly. I cringe.

“Uhh, are you sure you want a bagel...?” I ask nervously. Vinyl turns to frown at me.

“Not anymore. Why? Can’t you make them?” She asked, raising her glasses to give me a curious look.

“Uhh, its... complicated. Just don’t ask about bagels.” I head into the kitchen. “Is salad alright? The cupboards are a little bare right now.”

“Whatever, salad’s fine with me.” I frown in confusion at Vinyl’s tone.

“I’ll be just a minute!”

Several minutes later, I walk out of the kitchen with a plate of salad in each hand. Setting one down by Vinal and the other by my seat, I sit back down and start to munch on a leaf of lettuce.

“So, about that talk...” I said after I swallowed my mouthful. Vinyl nodded, levitating a lettuce leaf and absentmindedly nibbling on it. We sit in silence for almost a full minute, before Vinyl finally speaks.

“Octavia’s moving out.” I pause, cucumber slice halfway to my mouth. Slowly, I place it back on the plate and give Vinyl a sympathetic look.

“I’m sorry to hear that. When does she leave?”

“When she’s secured her new apartment.”

“Did she mention why?”

“Ye

We sit in silence again for a brief moment, allowing us to eat more of our salad.

“She got a letter from the Equestrian Royal Orchestra. They want her to join up.”

“Ah. Because she plays the cello?”

“Yeah...”

“Something tells me there’s more to this.” She nods.

She sighed. “You see...”

----FLASHBACK----

Vinyl stared open mouthed at her best friend and roommate. Octavia stared back with a determined look in her eyes.

“Woah wait, you wanna move out?!” Vinyl gasped in shock, having processed Octavia’s statement.

“Yes, Vinyl. I do.” Octavia opened the box of muffins that they had bought from Pinkie Pie just minutes ago, taking one out and placing it upon a small plate. “It’s a decision I’ve thought long and hard about, but it is the right one nonetheless.”

“But I don’t understand! I thought you liked it here, living with me...” Vinyl trailed off, looking away downcast. Blinking, Octavia didn’t expect this reaction from her friend. Realising that the direct approach she had chosen had upset Vinyl, she tried to comfort her.

“Oh Vinyl, I do! I love it here in Ponyville living with you, talking to Declan and our other friends. But coming here from Canterlot was your big break! And now you’re a successful DJ with gigs and parties.” Octavia approached Vinyl, lifting her purple glasses to reveal her watering rose coloured eyes. Raising a hoof, she wiped away a tear as it was about to streak.

“Think of this as my big break. Once I earn enough and cement my position, maybe we can buy a house together- a proper house! Out in the country, just you and me.” She smiled sadly, as Vinyl blinked back tears.

“B-b-but what about me? I can’t go to Canterlot with you, I have my DJ career here! Can’t you stay here...?” Vinyl asked pleadingly, but Octavia slowly shook her head.

“I’m can’t Vinyl, travelling to Canterlot every day would take too long. I’d have to live there, but that doesn’t stop me from visiting you whenever I can! Or you could come and visit me! Maybe you could even bring Declan along too, I’d bet his DeLorean thing could get you to Canterlot faster than any old wagon, once its working again.”

“Y-yeah... sorry Tavi. I just... we’ve been friends for so long and we’ve always been together. I just... I don’t wanna be alone.” They embraced in a hug, Octavia patting Vinyl’s back comfortingly.

“I know.” They held each other for a moment, allowing time to stop for their embrace, before Octavia relaxed her arms and backed away, Vinyl reluctantly doing the same.

“Why don’t you eat a muffin? That would cheer you up. Then maybe we could go out for dinner?” Octavia suggested, picking up her own muffin and taking a bite out of it.

“Y-yeah... that sounds... radical.” Turning away so she could wipe her eyes with a hoof to remove the tears, Vinyl lifted her glasses back onto her face, before turning back to face Octavia. “Tavi?” Vinyl asked, seeing the pale face of the fellow musician, before she vomited across the table, followed by collapsing to the floor.

“Octavia!”

--------

“So that’s how you found out about the baked bads...” I mutter thoughtfully.

“Yeah. I took Tavi to the hospital, and they said she’ll be fine in a few days.” She smirked, the first time she had done so in front of me today. “They actually threw me out, by the way.”

“From the hospital?” She nodded. “Why?”

“I brought in one of my speakers to play some of Octavia's fave tracks. Wanna know the best part?” I nod. “She loved it. laughed her head off when the docs shouted at me to turn it off, but the music was too loud.”



“Same.” She shrugged. “I didn’t care. All I cared about was making her smile.” Her own smile faltered as she glanced down. “I’m gonna miss her...”

“I know. But hey, you can still write and visit each other whenever you can!”

“Yeah, and Tavi always moaned that the snobs at Canterlot could hear my wubs when I cranked it up to eleven.” Vinyl smirked, and I chuckled.

“Well, you’re welcome to hang out with me anytime. Especially if I have another slow day like today,” I said, picking up the empty plates.

“Awesome. I’ll bring my subwoofers next time,” Vinyl replied, standing up and smiling her trademark manic smile.

“It’ll be a blast,” I add, depositing the plates in the sink.

“I’ll see you around,” Vinyl said, as she headed to the door. I follow her, moving ahead and opening the door for her.

“Oh hey Twilight. S’up.” Vinyl grinned as she walked out past Twilight, who was about to open the door herself.

“Vinyl...” Twilight said, confused to see the DJ. Turning to Declan, she asked “had a fun day?”

“The funnest of funs,” I reply, as she trotted in with an exhausted (and bloated) Spike. “Woah, what happened to him?”

“He ate too many of the baked bads,” Twilight explained, using her magic to carefully lift him upstairs to his basket.

“He’s not gonna upchuck chunks, is he?” I ask cautiously.

“No, he’s fine. Dragon stomachs are very strong and are able to dissolve crystals. I think he can handle those muffins, even if everypony else can’t.” Twilight smiled, shaking her head slightly. I shrug at her response, accepting her explanation. “You’ll be pleased to know that Applejack won’t be a concern anymore.”

“I take it you got her to stop working and actually sleep?” I ask.

“Something like that. After she caused a stampede of rabbits through town, I took action.”

“You used a sleep spell on her, didn’t you?” I fold my arms and smile knowingly at Twilight, who smiled bashfully.

“Only for an hour. Applejack was fine about it all too when she woke up, and was really sorry for the trouble she had caused. By the way, we’re all going to Sweet Apple Acres tomorrow to help Applejack before Applebuck season ends,” Twilight said, giving me a sly smile.

“Awesome!”

“She offered to pay us, but I turned that down.”

“Dammit...” Twilight chuckled at my reaction.

“There’s free lunch involved.”

“Done deal.”

Twilight then went on to explain her day, telling me about the origin of the baked bads (dodged a bullet there...), the rabbit stampede, and the cleanup afterwards of both events. Turns out half the town was stricken by the muffins, and one pony was in a critical condition after eating a baker’s dozen, but she’s expected to recover. I then divulged the day’s events for me to her, briefly touching on Celestia’s letter, and deciding not to go into detail about Vinyl’s visit. Then something peculiar happened.

“Here’s the letter,” I said, placing the letter Princess Celestia sent me in front of Twilight. Lifting it up with her magic, she began to read it, her eyes moving rapidly.

“This is perfect!” She said, smiling as she set the letter down. “Well, maybe not that perfect, but still! The Princess wants to see you, that can only mean that she has important news about getting you home!” Standing up, she began to pace. “We’ll have to pack immediately, and find someone to look after Spike. Perhaps Fluttershy...?”

“Uhh, Twilight...?”

“Oh! I can take you to my parents’ house! They’d love to meet you.”

“Twilight...”

“I can’t wait to see Princess Celestia again! And perhaps I might be able to see Cadence! Oh, I have so much to tell Cadence!”

“Twilight.” I stepped in front of her, making her walk into me. Backing away, she looked up quizzically, and I could see the wonder and excitement in her eyes. “I think Princess Celestia want me to go. Alone.” Twilight’s smile falters, and her ears droop.

“Oh...” was all she said in response, and I instantly felt bad about how I worded that statement.

“Sorry twilight, but I think this is a serious thing, and whatever the Princess needs to tell me, it might be super personal. But that doesn’t mean we can’t go together on a future visit! I’d bet that my first visit there’s gonna be super boring and stuff.” I kneel down to give her a hug, but she shies away. “Twilight?”

“I’m feeling a little tired, I think I’ll go to bed now.” I watch her as she walks past me, up the stairs, and closes the bedroom door behind her.

What just happened...?

Author's Note:

New chapter! I also got it out at the time I said I would! *fist pump*

Expect the next one sometime next weekend.

Comments ( 19 )

“You heard about the baked bads?”

This fucking cracked me up! "...Fucking cricket."

Technically humans can eat flowers without any problems, well certain types we can't, but we more so don't eat flowers because we choose not to, and have been doing so for so long most people don't know that flowers are edible. Oh, and they probably don't exactly taste particularly good standalone I'd imagine. :applejackunsure:

‘So he‘s never had a special somepony, or special someone as he put it. So he may be feeling what I’m feeling, but isn’t sure about it.

*cough* Or he doesn't reciprocate the notion. :rainbowkiss:

She regained her senses as split second too early, her eyes widening just as Applejack was about to hit the board.

Do you perhaps mean... "too late"?

With the DeLorean? Why?

Umm... probably to figure out how the engine works to make fuel for it... duh? :scootangel:

Heck, they don’t even have steam trains yet!

Wait... is this one of those slightly-different-than-canon-but-still-pretty-much-the-exact-same 'verses?

(If this was mentioned before I must've forgotten about it in the time since I last read it, I blame you. :rainbowwild:)

Setting one down by Vinal and

...How? The "a" key is on the other side of the keyboard...




Anyways, still a lot of grammar mistakes, a big one is "its" over "it's" in which "it's" is a contraction, not a possessive, so it's backwards than what you'd think. Also this video might help.

:trollestia:


Aside from that, pretty okay so far. If this is the correct fic, I can't quite remember, where his phone's battery is being infinitely charged then wouldn't that have meant that if Declan came in a electric car he'd be fine and dandy? Just sayin'.


Here's to still hoping there's no TaviScratch, I was a little worried for a second there in the library.

5924917

Remind me to have... 'words' with my editor. ¬.¬

but thanks for the errors and such, they probably might never get corrected. An for Vinal... I blame spellchecker for that one. It autocorrected it for me. And if I sent him in an electric car, then he wouldn't be 'stuck'. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the story.

Though, I never actually consider giving him an electric car.

As for trains, since we didn't see any until very late season 1 (and please include the fact that it was pulled by horses), then I'm guessing that they are a recent invention. Otherwise, Twilight would've taken the train down in the season 1 premier rather than having royal guard ponies playing taxi drivers. That's my theory at least.

... and I have a small keyboard... :facehoof:

5925258 I understand why you didn't use a electric car, since this is a plot point and all, like I said:

Just sayin'.

As for the train, hmm, I wouldn't think that'd be the case, the locomotive is of too advanced a design. It, like steam locomotives in most cartoons, is based on the American 4-4-0, which is a mid 19th Century design, steam engines had already had 50 years of progression by that point (Even more when you consider the Newcomen atmospheric engine had first been introduced in 1712!) so it's hard for me to believe they'd just jump from not having steam technology at all to such an advanced design.

However it's still fully reasonable that railroad infrastructure was still in its infancy in early Season 1, and that they hadn't yet reached Ponyville. In fact historically rail guided locomotives were used in mines and factory work for moving heavy loads fairly short distances, and they stayed in such a role for awhile before they began to reach speeds and powers great enough for more long distance transports, leading to railways. Most likely scenario is that by this timeframe railways only connected major cities rather than any small towns.

Besides, I imagine the pegasus chariot is faster than the train route anyways, since it's pretty curvy from what I can recall. (And the simple fact these locomotives, if they're like their real world base, probably only reach average speeds of 20-25mph.)


Edit:
Personally I've always had the headcanon that the locomotive suffered a mechanical failure and that's why it had to be pulled in that episode.

5925360

I see your point about the model of train, but I highly doubt that they have had trains for the past 50 years. Another reason why I think its a recent invention is because they have DJ turntables, refrigerator's, etc.

5925638 I said steam technology, not trains in specific.

Now, while maybe not a full 50 years old, sure, but it's definitely not brand sparkling new. I refuse to accept that they can jump from no steam technology at all to something that advanced. Not unless there was already the idea, or preceding ideas, to something similar in components and other features that go into a locomotive aside from the engine itself. (Which, without a known techline timeline is both impossible to prove, and impossible to disprove. [I.E.: that can be the reason, or maybe not.])

Or possibly even that while steam technology is new to Equestria, they've gotten the idea from another nation. (Like America's first steam locomotives primarily being British, with the first American made one not appearing until 1830 with the Tom Thumb, compared to Trevithick's locomotive of 1804.)

Which allows for plenty of world building. Everyone loves world building. :rainbowkiss:

But yeah, I really can't see it being a completely new: as in having not an ounce of steam, or other base component, technology prior; to then having that in less than a year. My willingness extends to a couple of decades, and that's about it.

Another reason why I think its a recent invention is because they have DJ turntables, refrigerator's, etc.

...And? :unsuresweetie:

Yes, MLP is a Schizo Tech universe, okay, I get that. But we have no idea how long those technologies existed either. Or even if they themselves went through proper preceding technology stage development or not, hell, one could easily argue that MLP's not even Schizo Tech as a universe, only Equestria, in that other nations have a proper preceding and proceeding tech development and Equestria is simply cherry picking which technologies it wants to adopt.

(And I'm still really confused on what that statement is supposed to mean in relation to the argument anyways... :applejackconfused:)


But I mean, it's your story, you can write it that way, sure, I'll just grumble internally throughout it. :moustache:

5925750

Alright alright, this is starting to make my brain hurt. If you want, we can cover this again when I introduce trains into the story, which will be very soon! And I'll probably use some of the stuff quoted here to make an interesting story about the train.

But for now, all I'm gonna say that although people have copied the inventions of others (as you said, the Americans copied the steam locomotive from the British), not all their attempts work out well, which will come into play very soon too. ;D

5925889 Young padawan, if this makes your brain hurt just imagine me doing a step by step technical deconstruction of the predecessor components required for such a steam locomotive. :trollestia:

But yeah, we can talk about this then, or I can go with my internal grumbling mode. :duck:

“I brought in one of my speakers to play some of Octavia's fave tracks. Wanna know the best part?” I nod. “She loved it. laughed her head off when the docs shouted at me to turn it off, but the music was too loud.”

“Same.” She shrugged. “I didn’t care. All I cared about was making her smile.” Her own smile faltered as she glanced down. “I’m gonna miss her...”

There is a missing line here.

5925750

I generally think of MLP as being around the victorian era in terms of its technology, with some anachronistic exceptions.

5925889
Soon has come and gone my dude I began reading this story because it has time machine and HiE shenanigans... Pls don't be ded :fluttercry:...

8610818
Almost was, but am still here. And yes, I am still working on this. Currently rewriting EVERYTHING.

8627637
Hmmmm.... I'm gonna be patient and wait for the next chapter

8628228
That might be a while. Hopefully not too long though.

Really promising, and I hope the God here does get the Elements and more smacked in it's face. Pinkie had it right, tastes of narcissism.

8724021
Are you asking me, the author? Or the main character, Declan?

10027398
Yeah I know that now, maybe doc can get an electric conversion for it

Login or register to comment