• Published 26th May 2016
  • 4,196 Views, 44 Comments

Bad Dreams - Synthetic Soul



The two sisters told me they were my friends, but the nightmares showed me that they were liars. They had horrible plans for me. The nightmares showed me the truth. They are my friends. They're all I need.

  • ...
9
 44
 4,196

We will save them

Celestia’s eyes fluttered open, releasing her from the world of sleep, returning her to the waking world. Taking in a breath, she rose from her bed, and put her hooves to the floor. Her natural alarm clock never failed to wake her when it was time to raise the sun. Stepping over to her nightstand, she opened the drawer, and used her magic to dress herself in her royal regalia.

Once she had done this, she made her way towards her balcony. She opened the doors, and stepped outside, to see the night sky, illuminated by its moon and stars. Celestia had a deep appreciation for Luna’s night, it was always beautiful, and elegant. She wished ponies could gaze upon her sun, the way they looked at the moon, but for obvious reasons, that could not be.

Shutting her eyes, she concentrated the magic in her horn, and focused on raising the sun. She felt a warm sensation on her horn, as it did its work, raising the sun into the sky. Once she finished, Celestia opened her eyes, and was greeted by the suns light. Only, Celestia noticed that the moon was still in the sky.

‘Hm…Luna should be up by now. She should have lowered the moon…’ Celestia waited a minute or two, but when she did not see her sister on her balcony, Celestia decided she would have to do it herself. She ignited her horn once again, and used her magic to lower the moon.

Once she finished, she took a step back, to look at her work. Seeing that it was to her satisfaction she turned, and made her way back into her room, closing the balcony doors behind her.

“What could have kept Luna from her duties?” she asked herself. Deciding to go ask her sister herself, Celestia made her way towards the door to her room. She opened it, and stepped outside, closing the door behind her. The two guards stationed in front of her room saluted her, while simultaneously greeting her.

“Good morning Princess,” they said.

“And a good morning to you as well,” replied the solar princess. She then turned, and made her way down the hall. Normally, she would be heading to the dining hall for breakfast, but decided to head to Luna’s room instead, to find out why she hadn’t raised the moon.

Celestia made her way down the halls of the castle, and took in the sights as she did so. The castle was always kept in such fine shape, neatly polished floors, not a speck of dust anywhere. Whatever she paid her maids, it probably wasn’t enough.

Celestia turned a corner, and proceeded to head down the hall towards Luna’s tower. After making it down the hall, she found the door leading to her sister’s tower, where two of her lunar guards were stationed. They saluted her, to which she nodded in reply.

“At ease gentlemen. Tell me, is my sister still in her tower?”

“We believe so, your highness. We haven’t seen her leave so far.”

“Thank you, I believe I’ll go check on her.”

The two guards nodded, and opened the door for her. Celestia gave her thanks, and then proceeded to enter the tower. She walked up the spiral staircase, leading to the top of the tower. Once she made it, she came to a large purple double door, with a crescent moon engraved onto it. Raising her hoof, she proceeded to gently, yet firmly knock on the door.

“Luna? Luna are you in there?”

She waited, but there was no response.

“Luna?” When she failed to receive a response again, Celestia opened the door, and stuck her head inside, looking for her sister.

“Lulu? Where are you?” Celestia opened the door fully, and stepped inside when she saw the state of her sister’s bed. The covers were thrown haphazardly off the side, as if Luna had been in a hurry to get out of bed. Worried that something might have happened, Celestia quickly searched the room, top to bottom, but found that nothing else was out of place.

There was no sign of any violence, or forced entry. The balcony doors were shut, so she didn’t fly off. It seemed Luna had been in a hurry to get out of bed, but that was all Celestia could figure out. Confused, Celestia made her way out of her sister’s room, down the tower, returning to the main part of the castle.

‘Where did Luna go? She seemed to have been in a hurry? Did she teleport?’ Celestia made it down to the bottom of the tower, and exited through the doors. Once she stepped into the hall, she turned to face the guards.

“If my sister returns, tell her I was looking for her.”

“Yes your highness,” replied the guard on the left. Celestia thanked them, and made her way back down the hall. She was starting to worry. Her sister never forgot to lower the moon, not since her return. Was something wrong? Celestia didn’t know, and she didn’t like it one bit.

Celestia was about to search again for her sister, when she felt an ache in her stomach, along with hearing a growl. Embarrassed, Celestia turned and looked around her to see if anyone had heard her. When she saw that no one was around, she sighed in relief. A stomach growl wasn’t exactly a very princessly thing to do. Perhaps before she did anything, she needed to eat breakfast.

Celestia did as her body asked her, and made her way to the dining hall. She entered the door, and made her way to the table. She sat down, and soon after the waiter came to take her order. She gave it, and he left to get her food. Celestia sat at the table, thinking, and after a few minutes, the waiter returned. He set the plate down on the table in front of her, and Celestia began eating. She ate in piece for a few minutes, undisturbed.

Then, without warning, the doors to the dining room were flung open. Startled, Celestia dropped her fork, and turned to face the intruder. To her surprise, it was the mare she had spent her morning trying to find. Luna turned to face her, and gasped in surprise.

“Tia, there you are! I have been looking all over for you!”

“And I, you,” replied Celestia, who got up from her seat. “Where have you been Luna? I searched for you after you didn’t lower the moon, and I feared something was wrong.”

“I teleported to your room when I woke up, but you weren’t there,” said Luna, slightly panicked.

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“Tia, It’s Noah…he’s back.”

Celestia swore, her heart just skipped a beat.


The Nightmare Realm does not exist in the physical world. It is an intangible place that cannot normally be entered, or exited outside of the dream world. Though, no one would ever enter such a place willingly. Well, almost no one.

The Nightmare Realm was built out of what looked to be a deep and dark cavern. In the cave, existed a labyrinth like dungeon, like what you’d find in an abandoned castle. Barred cells ran through the dungeon. Some were empty. Some weren’t. The cells that were occupied, housed sentient beings, not just ponies, but beings from all over the world. Ponies, Minatours, Griffins, and the like. They lived in constant fear, crying out for freedom, to return to their homes.

The beings in the cages wouldn’t be released, at least, not until they were deemed “Ready”. And by then, they were never the same. Those that weren’t confined to cages, shuffled along the floor, moaning and groaning. Warped creatures, some created from nothing, others created from prisoners. In the Nightmare Realm, you lived in fear, until you became a source of it.

And past the dungeons, through the labyrinths twists and turns, sat the master of this world. Up upon a very high and wide set of stairs, he sat upon his throne of skulls and stone. He had long since abandoned his true name, taking on the simple title of; Nightmare.

His skin was ash gray, with darker and lighter splotches spread about his flesh. His fingernails were long, and sharpened, creating claws. His eyes were pure glowing yellow orbs that never blinked. His mouth was devoid of lips; instead all that could be seen were rotted, sharp teeth. His cheeks were unhinged, allowing him to open his mouth impossibly wide. His black hair flowed with ethereal power, much like the royal sisters. As clothing, he wore a black tunic, with dark grey pants.

Nightmare sat upon his throne, not moving a muscle. His glowing eyes just stared ahead of him, not moving, at least that is how it would appear. His pupil less eyes actually moved all about, scanning his domain.

Suddenly, the former human felt something wrap around his leg, something firm, and fleshy. He didn’t even flinch, as the ebony serpent slithered up his body, curling itself around his neck.

“Hello Nhilese,” said Nightmare, as his eyes glanced at the snake.

“Hello, my massster,” replied the snake. The creature itself was the size of a large boa constrictor, with black ebony scales that seemed to shift and move, even when the creature was still. Its yellow eyes matched the former humans. There was a time when the idea of a snake wrapping itself around him would make the man terrified, but that has long since passed. Now he welcomed the serpent as a friend, his only friend.

“I saw her today,” said Nightmare.

“Ah, yesssss. The lunar princess,” replied Nhilese.

“I tried to save a little colt, but she interfered and stopped me. Now she’s free to do who knows what with him,” said Nightmare, with a sad, dejected tone of voice.

“Fear not my massster, this was to be expected. As our power grows, ssshe will they will find it increasingly hard to ssstand in our way. Sssoon enough, we shall sssave the citizens of Equestria, just as we’ve sssaved countless othersss from their fear. Give it time.”

“She seemed so…she seemed genuinely concerned for the colt. As if I was the bad guy…”

“An act, I assure you. Trying to pretend to be a kind and benevolent ruler, only to lull you in, and then sstrike. Trussst me, her malice is woven deep.”

“Your right. I still remember what she and her sister were planning on doing to me. If it wasn’t for you, I’d have suffered a fate worse than death, from my so called ‘friends’.

“Do not worry…I am the only friend you need. And sssoon, we shall bring those two to justice.”

“You’re right. Soon, no one will ever feel afraid of those two, ever again.”

“Of course. With my guidance, all our dreamsss will come true.”

A smile came to Nightmares face, as he looked to his companion.

“Well then…Let’s get started.”

Author's Note:

Alright, chapter 2. I hope I'm able to keep up with the standard that I've set with the first chapter. Also, I'd like to thank you guys for the support you've given me in regards to this story, and I hope I continue to do a good job for you guys.

Well, that's all, see you next time!