• Published 18th Jul 2016
  • 6,877 Views, 993 Comments

Friendly Fire - Starscribe



Jacob was just an ordinary student the year the whole world changed. It started with the powers, powers that seemed to be spreading. Can he get to the bottom of this mystery and take back his life before there's nothing left to save?

  • ...
48
 993
 6,877

Chapter 5

“What did you say they were gonna do to us?” Eric asked from the backseat.

Harley swerved down a nearby side-street, then pulled an immediate left. “Depends: how weird is this girl?”

Very.” Jacob answered before Eric could, since he knew full well he would defend his best friend. Eric’s judgement of “weird” wasn’t to be trusted. “She’s sweet, but—”

“If they think there’s any chance she’s been ‘contaminated,’ she’ll be locked up. We haven’t been able to find where they take them. It’s hard to know without seeing her whether it’s a human weird or a pony weird, but… that’s just the problem. The bad guys can’t tell even when they’re a few feet away.”

“Um, excuse me…” Eric’s voice was nervous. “Did you just call the police ‘bad guys?’”

“Not quite.” Harley slowed as they made their way past backyards. There was no way to know from the houses which was the one they were looking for, except that it was the one on the end. They stopped well out of clear sight of the fence, and Jacob could see several more sets of flashing lights on that side. What the hell had Danielle done to warrant a response like this?

“They’re taking orders from someone. Or maybe those guys are? Look, it’s complicated.” She reached across Jacob’s lap, fishing something out of the glove box. An expensive, industrial-looking radio. She twisted it on, and immediately static started to buzz.

“Control, this is Harley. Is somepony there?”

A few seconds and Jacob heard a familiar voice on the other end, albeit fuzzed a little by the radio. “Go Harley.”

“Need some serious help here, Control. At least a dozen police, maybe more. Who can you give me?”

There were a few painful seconds of static, then. “Harley, how many refugees are they guarding? I’ve got a bugbear tearing up a government housing section and some kind of raid happening in the dorms. If I disengage anyone, people die.”

“Clear, control. Harley out.”

“Wait!” For all he had seemed timid before, Eric’s calm was suddenly gone from his face. “We can’t leave Danielle!”

Harley glanced between him and Jacob, her frown deepening. “I… alright.” In a flash of motion, she flicked the car door open. Despite her speed, she barely made a sound as she landed, hurrying along to the trunk and opening it. Only seconds passed before she returned, looking so different Jacob hardly recognized her.

Harley was dressed in a fairly convincing police uniform. She even had the duty belt, gun and all. She looked older too, and much more solidly built. It was the best, fastest disguise Jacob had seen in his life. Even her voice was different; slower, more confident. “Shrimp in back is our getaway driver. Jacob, you and that wand be ready to cover me.”

“What’s the plan, exactly?” Jacob drew out the wand again, turning it over in his hands. “I’m not going to hurt a policeman.”

“Then don’t!” she hissed, straightening again. “There are thousands of spells that don’t do damage. Pick one of those.”

“I don’t know any—” The new “policewoman” vanished, with a flash of light and an implosion of air, before he could finish the question. He sighed. “Better get up here Eric. So far everything that girl has done has been way too fast. If she thought we need an escape driver, she meant it.” The wand’s tip started glowing again, that same pale yellow it had the night before. With such bright sunlight all around, he could only see it when he stuck the end under the shade of the dashboard.

Eric complied, hurrying into the driver’s seat. He looked a little nervous as he felt the controls: Jacob hadn’t even known he could drive. “As long as we’re saving Danni. We… are saving her, right? Not just becoming accomplices in some kind of…”

“Eric, did you notice the way Harley teleported right in front of you?”

He shivered, looking away. “I thought I saw… but I couldn’t have. She’s got to be a… hypnotist or something.”

“She took me along last time she did it. Any—“

There was another loud bang, accompanied by a flash so bright Jacob was momentarily blinded. “Drive!” Harley’s voice came weakly from the back of the car. “Quick!” She sounded extremely weak, even more than she had the last time. Jacob realized with growing dread that meant Harley wasn’t going to be helping them. Last time she had teleported, it had taken several minutes for her to recover. He had been too busy vomiting to count how many, but…

Shouting echoed from the direction of the house, and a policeman finished climbing out into the alley, landing in the street. He aimed a handgun towards them, but didn’t shoot.

“Reverse,” Jacob instructed, his voice firm but not shouting. He knew from a hundred hours of Left 4 Dead that yelling at Eric would only make him freeze. “There was another alley just behind us, probably connects to Main.”

Eric had gone white, shivering all over. Yet he glanced behind them, and saw their car now had four occupants instead of three. Something changed in his face, and his hands stopped shaking. They zoomed backward, tires screeching as they scraped up against the curb a little. He went further than the alley, then shifted back into drive and floored it. They scraped the side of a brick building in his haste to turn, and came out violently onto the main road.

It was a small miracle they had come out during a red light and not into oncoming traffic. “Where do I go next?”

Harley didn’t answer, and might not for some time yet. Jacob’s mind spun, considering the implications of what they had just done. They had been witnessed speeding away from what was probably now a “crime scene”. There were half a dozen cars parked out front. Some of those would be ready to drive soon. He didn’t hear a helicopter, but if they got into a car-chase that wasn’t far away. Eric’s clarity would not last long. Jacob himself wouldn’t have done much better in his position. “North! Go right at the light!”

He did. Jacob forced himself to tune out a dozen distant sirens, not all of which were coming from the direction of Danielle’s house. He kept the wand ready across his lap, quite sure he wouldn’t know how to do a damn thing with it if called upon, but focusing on escape instead. “Uh… uh… there! That parking garage right there!” There were no police on the street with them. Dozens of witnesses, but if they only needed long enough for Harley to recover…

“The theater one?”

“Yeah!” There was no attendant, only an automatic ticket machine. They slowed painfully as they took their ticket and waited for the bar to rise. Jacob watched out both back windows, and only just saw the flashing lights as they made their way inside. “Not take us to the top, but not all the way up. I figure we’ve got enough stars for a helicopter by now.”

Eric obeyed, his arms rigid on the steering wheel as he did so. Sirens got louder, then quieter again, though there were so many…

Another voice spoke from the back, feminine and apparently amused. “Did you take us in here because of how you escape the police in a video game?” Danielle sat up in the back-seat, pushing Eric’s suitcase down to where her feet were supposed to go as she did. “I don’t think it works in real life.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be puking or something?” Jacob only barely restrained his annoyance, though part of that was from not having a good retort. Danielle was a delicate girl, not quite five feet despite being almost thirty. Strangers often mistook her for fifteen, though that wasn’t what annoyed Jacob just now. She did look a little green, and she held onto the side of the car for support, but that was all.

“Eric’s not that bad.” She leaned on the side of the car, and was still breathing hard enough it took her a little longer to continue. “Maybe if Michelle was driving. Your sister missed her calling as a street racer.”

Sirens continued to sound from outside. Most rose and fell quickly as they slowly rounded their way up through the five-level lot, which was already deserted even on level two. The theater hadn’t opened yet, and wouldn’t until ten. “It looks like it worked, so I don’t know what you’re talking about. Could you nudge Harley? The, uh… girl in the oversize police uniform?”

Indeed, it seemed whatever makeup or prosthetic she had been wearing hadn’t survived her teleporting, because she looked about the same size as before. Same black hair, same college-age features. The uniform hadn’t gotten any smaller though, and so it now looked baggy and absurd, particularly where it bunched over her shoes. “She’s the one who knows what we’re supposed to do.”

Harley’s eyes looked a little glazed, not seeming to completely see the world around her. “Did I hear right that you drove us into a dead end?” She didn’t have the strength for anger, just mild annoyance.

“Yeah. Into a parking structure out of sight. I know the police didn’t see us.”

“Did anyone see us? Just because it bought us a minute or two for them to ask around…”

“Oh.” Harley was right about one thing: the sirens hadn’t ever gone away. They would’ve been able to hear from the echo if any had driven into the structure behind them… but it was only a matter of time. There had been a half-dozen pedestrians on the street when they turned. “What do we do then, Harley? If we can’t wait for it to blow over?”

“See my radio?” At his nod, she continued. “Get us close to open air… so the cement doesn’t block it, then… flip the switch labeled ‘EMERGENCY’.”

They began hearing noise from the bottom of the parking garage right as they made it near the top—there still weren’t helicopter sounds, but they played it safe and stayed under-cover. Of course, not being found from above wouldn’t matter at all if they had been located from below. Jacob flipped the switch, holding the antenna near the window. The chatter returned, though he couldn’t make much sense of it. It was in another language, or maybe in code. Why had Harley used plain English before?

“Thanks for getting me out of there.” Danielle was looking down at her lap, frowning. Apparently she hadn’t finished getting ready, because she was still wearing Pinkie Pie pajamas. Now that they weren’t running, Jacob could make out the beginnings of some bruises on her face, and some tears down one of her sleeves.

“Thank us when we’re safe,” Harley muttered, though she did look a little happier for the gratitude. “Everybody out. We’re going to wait on top where they can see us. No extra weight—I’m talking to you, Eric. They won’t be sending a carriage, so that means no cargo.” She opened the side door, and fell over onto her hands-and-knees. She slipped out of the uniform as she rose, revealing all her old clothes underneath. As the rest of them got out, she took only the wand and the radio, making her slow way up the ramp and into the light. There were no cars up here, no people. Only a few other buildings, and their windows.

Jacob followed, feeling more nervous by the second. He ignored Eric, where he was helping Danielle follow as well. He kept pace with Harley as she made her way to the edge of the parking structure, and peeked down on the streetward side. There was a police blockade waiting for them on the only exit—four cars all parked so that even a muscle-car would have no chance of forcing through them all. Officers milled about, not apparently going in. Unless they plan on sneaking up on us. Of course, they could’ve tried to get out themselves, into the theater. But somehow he knew there would be officers guarding that exit too. “Guess it was a pretty rotten escape plan. I just… didn’t think we could outrun them in that little car of yours.”

“It wasn’t the worst,” Harley said after a minute, slumping down against the side of the structure. “They probably won’t come in here until backup gets here. SWAT, if we’re lucky. ECU otherwise.”

“ECU?” He slid down beside her, mostly so he wouldn’t be visible to the police below.

“Pretty sure it’s ‘Extranormal Containment… something.’” She shrugged. “About the worst thing that could happen right now, short of something magical. ECU doesn’t take prisoners—once they show up, ponies die. To be fair, it’s pretty much the only defense against magic. They used it back in Equestria too, when Griffons or whoever went to war. Kill a wizard quickly and she can’t enchant you.”

Eric and Danielle sat down in front of them—Danielle still seeming a little sick, Eric just terrified out of his wits. “I think someone’s coming up. Don’t know who, but it sounded like a big engine running real slow.”

“ECU then.” She sighed, covering her face in her hands and moaning quietly. “They’ve got trucks with lead plates everywhere to block out magic. It sorta works. It’ll work for any spells we could manage.”

“We could go up another level.” Jacob gestured to the ramp, which rose only a half-level above the place where cars would emerge from inside, where their own car blocked part of the ramp. “At least they won’t be able to see us right when they come out.”

“Sure.” Harley got up, brushing herself off as she did. “If it can buy us a little more time, that’s all we can hope for.” They hurried up the last section, all of them trying to stay close enough to the center of the building they wouldn’t be visible from the bottom. It worked, though of course it wouldn’t do a damn thing if there were snipers setting up on taller buildings around them.

Even Jacob could hear the dull throb of an engine from below them now, along with concrete crunching on tires spinning nice and slow. He flicked his wand through the air a few times, to almost no effect. Nothing but the tip glowing a little brighter.

Harley just sighed. “Kid, you can be better with that then I could dream of—if you had a few years, good teachers, and better discipline. Maybe a minute with me, though? We don’t stand a Parasprite’s chance even if you somehow whip out some cutie mark level shit.”

There was another long silence there, broken only by the sound of a large vehicle tuning the last corner just below them.

“You have weird expressions.” Danielle got suddenly to her feet, not swaying anymore. “Let’s not make it easy for them.” She made her way to the overhang, where a concrete wall solid enough to stop a car protected anyone from accidentally driving off the top and onto the lower section. She braced herself there against the wall, posture square in the way of someone who has spent many hours in a gym. Then she pushed.

What came next was almost more remarkable than watching Harley teleport. Danielle—petite, thin, weak Danielle—shoved against the cement with the force of a hydraulic press. She grunted and her thin muscles strained with what Jacob expected to be no effect at all. The strongest man on Earth shouldn’t have been able to push over that wall, never mind a scrawny woman. Despite everything he thought he knew about the strength of reinforced concrete, despite everything Jacob thought he knew about Danielle, the wall started to crack. There was a terrible groaning sound, and then a crash as half the wall came loose. Quarter-inch steel rebar screamed and snapped as the several-ton mass came crashing down—right onto a slowly-emerging truck that looked like it was built for chasing storms.

Even so, the several-ton stress smashed it down with more screaming metallic protest, though it looked like much of the stone had been swept aside by its angles and the interior hadn’t completely caved in. Damn thing must be built like a tank.

Eric stared ahead like he couldn’t really see what had just happened, looking past Danielle to something invisible beyond her. Jacob felt similarly.

Harley started cheering. “Guess we know why the police were giving you so much trouble.”

Danielle brushed herself off as she made her way back, looking a little shy. “It’s… actually been that way for months now. Since… about the time the movie came out.”

Another voice spoke from behind them, which Jacob didn’t take for possible since it was only open air back there. “Excuse me.” Something touched down on empty parking lot beside them, and he turned just in time to see… something he didn’t think was possible. Four people, wearing blue uniforms like flight suits, goggles, and helmets. Of course, they also had wings emerging from behind them, which changed the look from “air-force pilot” to “Wonderbolt Cosplay.” At least they hadn’t done the “horse ear” thing out of their helmets. Only the figure in front had his visor up enough to see his face, and the bright blue and white hair that grew there. “Harley, Control only had an evacuation tea—”

“That’s perfect!” She gestured emphatically towards the three of them. “ECU is down there.” She gestured right as a bright orange flame burst through the ruined side of the vehicle. Cutting their way out?

“Alright then.” Each of the people behind him produced a sturdy-looking cloth harness, which appeared to be attached to them by tether. “Humans, we’re going to fly you out of here. I suggest you don’t look down—even if you’ve got the sky in your blood you’re probably not used to it yet. If you cause trouble for my ponies, they’ll fly you by your harness.”

They all held still as their rescuers clipped harnesses to them with straps around each limb. “Arms around my waist,” instructed the one in front of him, which Jacob could then identify as female from her harsh voice. “Don’t obstruct my wings or we’ll both die.” He obeyed, and found she returned the grip with one just as fierce. Despite her being a little shorter than he was, he found the ground suddenly jerked out from under him. Jacob tried not to see it, but couldn’t help the reflection in the helmet.

Just like a lot of things that day, their flight was impossible. He could not explain how organic wings so small could lift one person, let alone two. He couldn’t explain how they rose fast enough to escape the accurate range of guns shooting at them, or how the clouds seemed to be rushing up to meet them. Jacob wasn’t afraid of heights, but even he started to shiver at their utterly-unsupported rise: away from danger at last, and into the unknown.