• Published 18th Jul 2016
  • 6,874 Views, 993 Comments

Friendly Fire - Starscribe



Jacob was just an ordinary student the year the whole world changed. It started with the powers, powers that seemed to be spreading. Can he get to the bottom of this mystery and take back his life before there's nothing left to save?

  • ...
48
 993
 6,874

Chapter 45

Metal ground on stone above them, an ominous, sustained rattle. None of them spoke: there were no plans to formulate, nothing to do but hide and wait. Eventually something whined and scraped on stone, and something rattled down the shaft. A steel cage of sorts, apparently winched down by cable. There were two soldiers inside, both in something like riot gear, massive weapons over each shoulder. Jacob had never actually seen the ECU in action, but he recognized the patches on their shoulders.

They hopped out of the cage, advanced into the cave a few steps, then raised their weapons to an alert, but not overtly hostile stance. They didn’t aim, but they were clearly ready to do so at a moment’s notice.

“What kind of gun is that?” Jacob whispered into Katie’s ear, pointing with one hand. The massive weapons were four feet long, connected with thick tubes to the backpacks of the soldiers holding them. A thin layer of condensation trickled out of the barrels, sinking down towards their feet.

“ATR,” Katie whispered back. “It’s basically a lightning gun. Earth ponies can stop bullets, but they aren’t as good with electrocution. The electricity screws up your brain, so unicorn spells are fried too. They don’t work too well on flying ponies, but ponies who can fly can also be shot with regular bullets, so…”

Someone reeled up the cage again, scraping and bumping along the wall as it went. It took another ten minutes for it to finally reach the ground again. It did so with a third armored soldier and an apparently ordinary woman.

The third soldier disembarked first, before assisting the woman through the now-melted snow pile and into the chamber. She wasn’t wearing a military uniform, though she did dress in sturdy, rugged clothing. She was surprisingly fit-looking for a politician, though there were clear lines of age on her face. Her hair was black, her face imperious, and her expression disdainful. She carried no flashlight, but one of her soldiers set a powerful propane lantern on the ground in front of her, illuminating the chamber far more clearly than their weak electric lantern could. No light came from above, though moonlight did faintly glow in the shaft behind her.

“Who am I negotiating with? I see you all hiding: someone come out and speak with me.”

Nopony moved. Jacob could feel a little of why—something about this woman wasn’t quite right. She wasn’t just unarmed in the presence of very dangerous ponies, and she hadn’t just come out to a field mission when she wasn’t even supposed to be in the military. She was more than she seemed, and he had to figure out how.

Jacob rose. He straightened, then stepped out from behind the pillar. Harley probably would have done their negotiating, but she was still hiding near the ceiling and apparently didn’t want to give her position away. As he crossed the room, he kept his hands out where they would be clearly visible, well aware of the weapons tracking him.

He passed Elise, and she joined him, walking beside him as they neared the senator on the far side of the room.

“Stop.” The command came out distorted from a soldier’s helmet, but still understandable. They were still about twenty feet away, but the command was absolute. He stopped.

This close to Senator Hunter, Jacob would’ve sworn that the light wasn’t acting properly. It was much darker behind her than it was on his side of the spacious chamber, even if the lantern was only a few steps in front of her. It wasn’t just darkness behind her, but power too. Power, and confidence, and danger as he had only felt near Sunset during her rage.

“Good, good.” The woman surveyed them, eyes widening a little as she apparently recognized Elise. “Special Agent Avery? You’re alive?”

“Yes, Ma’am.” Elise met her eyes without flinching, just as she had done to Sunset before. “When the command center was evacuated, I was saved along with many other refugees.”

The woman’s eyes darkened. “What happened in Containment was your work? The perfect counters to each and every one of our security measures.”

She nodded again. “Containment was a violation of the Geneva Convention’s standards for the treatment of prisoners of war. It was a shame to our organization and our country, Ma’am.

Her expression straightened into a hard line, and she met Jacob’s eyes instead. “And who are you? The leader of these rebels? The one who subverted one of my agents.”

“Yes.” He barely even remembered that spell, cast so many months ago now. Elise had held the knowledge, but he had to save her twice to get it. First from her fall, and then from her own insanity. “I am. And you’re Senator Maria Hunter. I voted for you in the last election. I thought you were one of Colorado’s best senators in a long time.”

Her expression softened a fraction. “Being politically active won’t save you, pony. Besides, that’s only who I was. That isn’t who I am.”

Jacob shivered, unable to meet her eyes any longer. They were already dark brown, but the gloom seemed to thicken and congeal around her, casting distorted shadows on the rock behind. “You thought to find the Temple’s ancient gate and flee to Equestria? I’m afraid you wouldn’t have found it so welcoming even if you made it.”

The Temple? That sounded like a fitting name, he supposed. “How do you know about it? The Light Tenders are supposed to destroy everything from Equestria. You see us as carriers of an intelligent disease, don’t you? None of this is supposed to exist.”

She laughed. One of the soldiers even chuckled, though the sound was muffled from within the thick riot gear. Jacob stared, but he couldn’t see a single patch of exposed skin. All three soldiers were massive, hulking creatures, but their armor fit them perfectly. There were no weak points for him to exploit.

“If you actually believed anything Agent Avery told you, then you’ve filled your mind with the same obfuscation we created for those we had working in the field. Of course Equestria exists. Despite the best efforts of its enemies, despite the weakness in its throne and the absence of its most powerful protector, it survives still.”

“Why did you come down here?” He folded his arms, trying to sound confident. “You said it yourself, we’re trying to evacuate. The world is too dangerous for us, so we’re leaving. You won’t have to worry about us again.”

Her laugh was much less friendly this time. “Oh no. I won’t be sending the pretenders such good stock. My kingdom requires the competent, the brave, and the strong. Some of you cower, but that is not a strike against you. Ponies are wise to cower. You might too Lifeline, if you knew who I was.”

He froze, unable to breathe for a few seconds. How the hell did she know that stupid pony name? Could Elise have been a traitor all along, and led them all the way here to give all that she had learned to their enemies?

No, he decided. Her body was still rigid with hostility, and none of it for him.

And just like that, he knew. “You’re…” He retreated, staring up into the woman’s dark eyes. “You’re Nightmare Moon.” He knew it instantly then, without a shadow of doubt. The Alicorn power he had sensed from her was no mistake of his perception. “The reason humans knew how to fight ponies.” He looked to the soldiers. “You found the Light Tenders and mobilized them against Equestria.”

“You see now what I would be giving up. You see why I had watchers at this Temple. The old glory will be mine, Lifeline, and you will help me take it.”

He wanted to spit in her face. Elise didn’t move either, only glared. He could barely move his mouth to speak. “Why would I do that? It doesn’t matter how powerful you are, or how important you are. You’ve been hunting ponies down, killing them. You’re the reason there isn’t peace with Equestria right now, I bet. I would still be in school if it weren’t for you.”

“I’m sure you all have similar stories.” She didn’t sound angry, or like her confidence had faltered even a little. “It’s true you’ve all suffered a great deal, but you assign responsibility incorrectly. I didn’t invade this world. I am as much a refugee as you are.” She gestured at the soldiers just behind her. “I did not come to trample your laws and subjugate you. I was fairly elected after a life of public service, as you already observed. You should critically consider who you’ve really been serving since you joined this war. Unless you think bioterrorism qualifies your princess for nobility.”

He opened his mouth to object, or maybe to defend himself. They had come because of that exact reason, after all. To find better leadership for Earth’s ponies after what Sunset had done. But he didn’t say that. It didn’t really matter what this person, or pony, or whatever she was, thought of their motivations. The only thing that mattered was whether or not he could convince her to let them go.

But Maria, or Nightmare Moon, or whatever she was didn’t let him speak. She went on advancing slowly towards them. The soldiers didn’t react, just watching as she walked towards them. “I don’t ask for charity from my subjects, Lifeline. Swearing your hooves to me would bring power.”

He could see it now, feel it. Magic that wouldn’t just save the dying, but restore them to health. His touch would take the wreckage of broken people and make them well again. It wouldn’t matter if they had “died” before he arrived or not. He would never be too late ever again. No other families would have to give up their parents as he had. There wouldn’t be any more orphans.

The vision faded. “The world I’m building will need skilled ponies. Thanks to your friends there are now many ponies to choose from, but they’re still ignorant and weak. Your strength could ease the transition, and protect the people you love from short-sighted rulers. Equestria’s millennia of peace will come to Earth in time.”

Someone set a hand on his shoulder. He jumped, but it was only Katie. “But you’re Nightmare Moon,” she said, her voice flat. “We don’t know very much about you… and maybe ponies lied about who you were… but it didn’t seem like you were trying to bring peace. You were just trying to take over. It seemed like you just wanted power for yourself.”

All trace of Senator Hunter’s smile vanished then, her glare far more intense than any she’d had for Elise. “Be careful, mare. Your civilization was a dream when I was betrayed. Don’t speak ignorance to me about events I lived.”

Jacob stepped protectively between Katie and the towering woman. All humans seemed giant to him now, but her especially so. Maria Hunter had to be at least six feet, if not taller. The darkness around her thickened and gathered with her anger. “I have not appointed myself queen by right of immortality. Imperium derives from strength. Celestia stood no chance without the Elements as her crutch.”

“Imperium derives from the consent of the governed,” Elise spoke flatly. “That’s the human way. Or… our way. And we won’t serve you. We won’t sacrifice centuries of democracy for an autocrat, no matter how peaceful she says she can make the world.”

“Do you all feel that way?” she asked, her voice icy cold. “Do you all refuse my gifts?”

“Yes.” Jacob hadn’t known it until that moment, but he knew it now. It didn’t matter what this being said. Her actions were what mattered. She had left ponies to starve and die in their own filth. Not only that, but she openly admitted to wanting to rule the world. Claimed it was hers by right. “We do. Let us leave in peace, we don’t have to fight.”

She turned away, dismissive. “Not for me.” She waved one hand in the air as she made it back to the cage. “Kill them.”