• Published 26th May 2016
  • 2,654 Views, 263 Comments

Sometimes They Call Me Super - KorenCZ11



My name is Jaquline Apple, but most ponies call me Applejack. However, that isn't my only name. Every now and again, ponies know me as Marevelous Red. Sometimes they call me Super, other times they call me a Hero.

  • ...
17
 263
 2,654

PreviousChapters Next
Persona XVII: Thicker than Water

Applejack


Soft breathin’ was ticklin’ my ear. Still groggy and not ready ta get outta bed, Ah flicked my ear back in hopes that might stop it. The lump didn’t so much as stir, and thus the breathin’ continued. If Ah move back, maybe he won’t notice. Ah shifted down as slowly as Ah could, but the scrape of coat against coat stirred the lump. Instead of lettin’ me move, he tightened his grip around me and rolled. Rolled until he met the edge of the bed and brought me down with him. He hit his head on the end table, and in a tumble of blankets and pony, we fell ta the floor.

“Oww…” he groaned. So much fer sleepin’ in. Today is Thursday, October third, 2030 my phone screen told me, and it was about six thirty in the mornin’. Ah got up off my lump and decided if Ah was gonna be awake anyways, Ah might as well feed us. The lump groaned again when Ah shifted my weight on and off him, and Ah made my way ta the kitchen.

Ah don’t feel like makin’ anythin’ especially difficult. Oh, ya know what? There are some of those instant oatmeal packets in the pantry. Does he like that? Eh, he’ll eat anythin’ Ah feed him. The debate over breakfast done, Ah went on ta pourin’ packages inta a sauce pot. Fill it with milk and butter till it reaches the middle, turn the heat on low and stir. A few minutes after the milk started ta bubble, Ah felt a pair of familiar scratchy forelegs around my neck and a kiss on my temple. And somethin’ else.

“Good morning.” he whispered. A tingle ran up my spine, but Ah wasn’t concerned enough ta push him off.

“Same ta ya, Lump. Go do somethin’ else, yer pokin’ me and Ah’m tryin’ ta make breakfast.” Ah recently learned that Goose is a creature of endurance, if nothin’ else. He got off and found his way inta the fridge and started to take out the eggs.

“Well, let me help you out then. I’m almost shocked you didn’t go straight for these. I bought bell peppers and jalapenos, did you see them?” he noted. Ah checked over my shoulder as Ah stirred the slowly thickenin’ porridge, and sure enough he had. Seein’ the bright red veggies made my mouth water, and suddenly Ah didn’t think instant oatmeal was gonna be enough fer breakfast.

“Ah didn’t. Thanks, Ah guess.” Thoughtful bastard. Even the field before Ah can get a chance ta get ahead.

“For my love, I would do anything♥” he bowed with a smile and that old flirty tone of his. Ah rolled my eyes and started ta pour the hot cereal inta bowls.

“Well, maybe his love would like to eat sometime today. My part’s already done, what are y’all doin’ mister knight?” Ah set the two bowls on the stove warmer ta keep it hot and took the dirty sauce pot ta the sink. Goose took a pan from the pantry, placed it on the hot burner, and threw another slice of butter in it. Ah ran the sink and scraped all the extra bits outta the pot, and he took out a knife and a cuttin’ board ta chop up my bell peppers. Bright red caught my eye when he moved on ta jalapenos. That one’s gonna be hot.

Without a word passin’ between us, Ah cracked and mixed up six eggs in a bowl, and Goose started ta fry the veggies. The pan was sizzlin’ as the stallion shifted peppers around, and Ah decided ta break his focus. Ah brushed up beside him and started ta pour eggs in the pan while Ah whispered,

“For my love, Ah would do anythin’♥” in his ear. He shivered and paused for a moment, then sighed.

“Damn it, you win,” he said as he turned ta kiss me. It was a little game we played. Ever since Monday, we woke up next ta each other in this dusty old house. Ah think Ah probably started it, but the idea was ta see who could get the other to lose focus first. Sweet nothin’s, light touches, surprise movements, anythin’ went. Ah won every other time it seemed, but he still had one on me. He’s better at it, but Ah learn quick enough. Ah pulled away and wiped my mouth.

“Eww, that’s awful. Remind me ta brush my teeth before we start doin’ shit like this in the mornin’,” Ah spat. Ah don’t know who’s mouth tasted worse, mine or his. He shrugged.

“Eh, dangers that come with playing the game. Don’t forget, you started this,” he said as he started ta chop up the yellow, green, and red mix in the pan. He was careful to make sure all the jalapenos were on one side and not the other, then scraped the fried egg onto a pair of plates.

“Ya know, ya could at least try one,” Ah offered. He rolled his eyes.

“I don’t do heat. Why does everything in the south have to be so spicy? I damn near died at the Flare’s place. You know what doesn’t need heat? Chocolate. How do you get that? Where do you get chile infused chocolate? Why? What torturous fiend created such an evil?” he asked as he started ta bring plates and bowls ta the table. Ah giggled.

“Ah, but of course milord. We’ll have all the king’s stallions and all the king’s mares gathered to find this vile fiend, author of the substance, and we shall rout him on sight, should it please you.” Ah said with a bow. His lips tightened and he just stared at me.

“Oh, you’re the worst,” he said as he went back for glasses. I hopped ta the kitchen and grabbed the silverware he’d forgotten, and once we had water, we sat fer breakfast. The curtains were drawn on the big window beside us on the eastern wall, but there was just a big enough crack for the bright mornin’ sunlight ta bleed in. The dust stirred and danced in the light, and it fell on him in just a way… Ah wonder if mom ever felt like this…


Plates cleaned, dishes done, teeth brushed, we sat on the couch together in that dark violet room and waited. Not even seven yet, we still had almost two hours before we needed to be at the castle, and honestly, Ah just wanted ta sit there and savor the mornin’. The Shark house was almost like home ta me now. Nothin’ was unfamiliar anymore. Ah knew all the names of the ponies on the wall, his family history, what his dad did ta get so far, the truth of him bein’ the last Carcharodon.

His father was always busy and never had much time for his family. In his early childhood, they all lived together, Carcharias, Swan, and Lamni, a happy little family of three. It couldn’t last forever though. The fortune Carcharias assembled was built off crime and dealin’ in illicit substance, but he tried his damnedest ta make himself legitimate. From gangs ta stocks, from drugs ta clothes, and finally, he was almost out. But when a deal went sour and another force that controlled a different side of the city got involved, it was all out war in the shadows. Carcharias left Swan and Lamni in a safe neighborhood in the north side of town ta hide them away from his rivals so he could deal with them.

In an odd twist of fate, my father ended up savin’ him by arrestin’ him that fateful day. The cops that had worked their way into his organization had ties to his rivals, and after he had them killed, his rivals had finally learned his location. In prison however, it was much more difficult ta get ta him, so that ended up sparing his life. My dad savin’ his didn’t save his mother though, and his father could never bring himself to have another wife and foal runnin’ from a gun the rest of their lives, so he never remarried.

Dad would never know that the little colt we played with at the park was the son of a stallion he apprehended the year before, and he would never know… that Ah fell fer him. A mob bosses’ son and a hero’s daughter. What a pair we turned out ta be? Some twisted game that the goddess plays, Ah suppose. Ah shifted in my seat and wrapped my hoof around the one on my waist.

“Do ya ever wonder… if there really is a goddess out there?” Ah asked as Ah looked at him. Goose took his free hoof ta his chin and furrowed his brow.

“Me, personally? Not so much. The world is full of weird, unexplainable things, and honestly, I can’t deny that there might be one out there, but I can’t prove it either, so I don’t bother. Why do you ask?” he mused. Ah shrugged.

“Ah don’t know. Just a passin’ thought Ah guess. Pinkie certainly believes if nothin’ else. Based on everythin’ she said, she thinks the goddess saved her life more than once. A week ago Ah might not’ve given that any credence, but after last Sunday… Ah don’t know what ta believe.” No other word than Miracle could have described what happened with Ramiel. An act of god, whatever ya call it, we weren’t in control of that. Goose untangled his hoof from mine and brought his hooves together.

“Well… both my parents believed, I think. Or at least mom did. Dad would go to church whenever he could while I was with him, but I think part of that was because he owned that church. I never found proof, but I almost guarantee he laundered some of his money though it. Mom on the other hoof… she was definitely a keeper of faith. There’s no doubt that my dad would have never tried to legitimize his business if he hadn’t met her. Maybe when I was younger I believed, but when she died… I probably said some things that my dad would’ve called a heresy,” Goose said. Ah put one hoof under my elbow and another under my chin.

“Well, Ah can’t say Ah don’t have a similar story. Back when we lived at the farm, goin’ ta church was a family event. Before she got sick, my mom would always sing with the choir and teach me verses and the like. First book Ah ever read was a chapter of the goddess tome. Mac probably knew the whole thin’ by heart by the time Ah learned ta read at such a young age. But… well, it just kinda faded fer me. First mom, then granny, and finally dad. He was the last devotee in the family, and he took the goddess with him Ah guess. Applebloom never knew her Ah don’t think.

When Ah got back from the farm after dad died, Ah remember Mac arguin’ with uncle Blood about it. ‘What kinda good goddess kills my family and leaves me here with you?’ He never had much of a temper, but that day was somethin’ else. We never went back, and it never came up again.” Goose wrapped his foreleg around me and brought me in to him, then Ah responded in kind. Goose let out a small chuckle.

“Judgment, who lives and who dies. Justice, love, virtue, sin. I think it’s kind of ironic now that we talk about it. Our society is built on the values in her tome, yet here we are, living out those virtues proclaiming that we are the ones who can bring justice while sitting and talking about how we fell out of faith,” he remarked. Ah leaned my head against his neck.

“Well, what do ya think about it now? Ah’ve got half a mind ta reread the book these days.” Ah snorted. “Course, that makes what we’re doin’ a little wrong don’t it?” Goose made a noise of irritation.

“Bah. Our society is garbage, especially in this city. What do I think? I think faith probably needs to come back in force.” Ah blinked.

“What?” He let me go and turned ta face me.

“Okay, hear me out. Heroes, right? Your dad came around sixteen years ago, put on a spandex suit and decided that he could make a living and make this place safer for his kids in one fell swoop using his powers. I… I heard a story once that said that wasn’t why he initially started all this. Not for either of those reasons, but because he came across this kid who needed help to rescue his sister from… well, my dad. Not his proudest moment, but the stallion had killed this kid’s parents because the other faction owned them, and he wanted to send them a message. He didn’t realize they had kids, and because the son became a problem, he decided to keep the kids close. He ran into your dad trying to pay mine back for his sister, and what happens? Shark Tooth is arrested by some masked stallion.

The world changes over night because this one guy acted out of the kindness of his heart and does something nopony else could even dream of doing. If I’m any metric to measure by, my dad was not some pushover in terms of strength, so this new guy had to be somepony special. He becomes justice itself, and has the city in the frog of his hoof while he preaches the values of heroism: Loyalty, Honesty, Kindness, Generosity, and Hope. The media tried their damnedest to avoid making the connection, but those values are listed in a certain book that everypony likes to cast aside in their teens.

How much better would the world be, if everypony could live up to his example? He was a beacon, a symbol of peace, and if he weren’t wearing a suit and punching the shit out of ponies, you might even call him a preacher. Is the goddess real? Is the goddess good? Honestly, I don’t care about that. I think that the book teaches values, and when ponies hold those values as best they can, just like Red Hoof, like Citrus Root did, then I think we would live in a better world.

Logically, there has to be a force that allows us to move, right? It doesn’t make sense that there’s no bottom to the world, there has to be a ground force that doesn’t move but can make change happen. An all powerful thing that makes it possible for change to occur, but cannot be changed itself. Philosophers before Celestia rose to power believed that, and even though it’s an old belief, there hasn’t been an idea put forth that makes any more sense than that does. It’s always been the book that bothers me. If the book is tied to her, then it becomes difficult to follow the logic that leads to a goddess because there’s a ton of weight to it if the book comes too. I think that there must be something that allows us to move, and I think the values the book holds are important to a thriving society. That, is what I think.”

Ah blinked a few times and took a moment ta process all that. Somehow, Ah get the feelin this isn’t the first time he’s contemplated this. Even more concernin’ is the lecture that kinda question might get me from uncle Blood or Celestia if Goose has this much ta say about it. Ah reached over and patted him on the back.

“Ya think about this a lot Sugar Cube?” Ah asked. He sighed.

“It plagues me every night. But, lately I’ve had somepony else in mind when I sleep,” he said as he leaned in. We kissed again, and Ah felt a buzzin’ at the edge of the couch where my phone was restin’.

“Well, it’s almost eight. We outta get clean and head out there, don’t ya think?” Ah asked. He nodded.

“Having the piss beaten out of us will surely be a healthy distraction from the greater questions of the cosmos,” he joked. Ah nodded, but then another thought came ta mind.

“Ya know, Ah think Ah feel better about all this. Whether or not the goddess is good or real, Ah guess it don’t matter all that much as long as it makes ponies good in their hearts. If there wasn’t a standard fer good set by somethin’, then ponies would just act on impulse and pleasure and that… just can’t be right.” Ah got up from my seat, and when Ah notice he didn’t follow, Ah flicked the end of my tail at Goose’s snout and headed ta the bathroom.

“Excuse me, what the fuck?” Goose complained. Ah rolled my eyes. Of all the ponies…

“Ah said, we should get clean. Take the hint, ya damn lump.” Sure enough, that got him ta his hooves.


“Ya know… somethin’ about this just feels wrong,” Ah noted after reality found me layin’ at the bottom of the trainin’ room. The rest of the gang started ta get up and Celestia, who was towerin’ over head, tilted her head.

“Why is that?” she asked. Ah rubbed at my sore neck.

“Ah’m not sure. Ah just get the feelin that it’s almost… too easy. How many times did we fail ta kill that thin’, once?” Ah asked. Rarity cracked her neck.

“I believe so, but that was before we started taking advantage of those ‘nuke bullets’ in Fluttershy’s arsenal,” she noted. Today, we just ran drills on Matarael, and thin’s just seem… off ta me. With the nuclear bullets and the insane range on Fluttershy’s rifle, the monster just got vaporized before it could even reach us. This is simulated reality of course, we don’t know that it’s gonna go that way, but fer some reason… It just don’t feel right. If that bastard is savin’ this thin’ for third ta last, it’s gotta be more destructive than Ramiel was, don’t it? Ah mean, ya only get so much stronger than Caballo Crater levels of fire power, and Luna said that Twilight’s blast was just about primed ta blow a hole in the moon, but… is it really gonna be this easy?

“I-I think she has a point. I-if I were to make a game out of this, I-I wouldn’t make it easier on us. U-unless he wants to lull us into a f-false sense of security. B-but, that doesn’t s-seem like a game he plays. T-this guy wants to w-watch us surmount a challenge o-or die.” Fluttershy said. The loud sound of cold steel clanking on crystal brought our attention ta the stairwell, and from there Princess Luna trotted in.

“You would be correct, I believe. This Persona character is a twisted individual and thinks the lives of our ponies are trivial things for him to play with like a colt and a new toy. Sister, I have things I need to discuss with you,” she said in that icy tone of hers. No warmth, not even ta her sister. Celestia glanced us over and sighed.

“Very well. We were just finishing up anyways. I suppose I’ll shift up your fight tomorrow. I still have a few nightmares I haven’t thrown at you yet, so we’ll see how you do then,” she said with a hint of that cruel smile of hers at the corner of her mouth. Celestia stood and bowed ta us, then she and her sister disappeared in a flash of cold blue light. Twilight galloped out of the staircase and slid ta a stop breathin’ hard. Once she noticed the lack of alicorns though, she sighed.

“Ah damn it, I missed her.” The seven of us trotted over ta her.

“Sup Purple,” Scootaloo said. Purple? Everypony has shortened Twilight ta some variation of it, and ya finally decide her nickname is gonna be ‘Purple’ of all thin’s? Twilight gave the orange filly a confused stare, but decided ta ignore it. When it comes ta Scoot, that’s just the best option sometimes.

“Oh, I just needed to speak with my aunt, that’s all. How was your session?” she asked. We all gave a shrug in some form or other. A collective ‘meh’ as it were.

“Things just don’t feel right. It isn’t hard, we don’t even have to ‘do’ much. Maybe you were a little crazy at the time, but those nuke bullets you swiped take care of this thing before it can even get close,” Rainbow said. Even after seein’ her parents again and resolvin’ all that drama, she decided ta keep the name she took after losin’ her first one. ‘It’s better that Firefly Flare stays dead. She won’t be remembered as a monster.’ Twilight frowned.

“And you all feel this way?” the collective nodded.

“As much as I hate to say it. You missed it, but I had a whole story about ‘easy being wrong’ yesterday, and this just reeks of that,” Pinkie added. Ah guess seein’ yerself grow up is pretty hard ta get out of yer own story. Not the best moral, but at least she’s on the right track. Twilight rolled her eyes.

“Again? Damn it, I hate this so much! I missed out on everything! Second hoof stories, being stuck on the bench until further notice… I wish my stupid horn hadn’t broken.” Goose warped and patted her on the back.

“Eh, who says your mom would’ve let you come with us anyways? We went half way across the country in two different directions,” Goose explained. Twilight only pouted more, and my phone started ta buzz in my bandanna. Yep, Ah figured as much.

“Hey, we need ta get outta here,” Ah said, specifically ta him. He reached in his jacket pocket ta pull out his own phone and frowned at the screen.

“Well, we’d love to stick around and chat with you ladies, but my warden has scheduled dinner with the fam tonight, so this will have to be goodbye.” Goose sad in that irritatin’ voice of his. Everypony’s ears perked up.

“Oh really? Is that what you call it? Dinner? You guys were totally f-” Scoots started, but as if there were a part missin’, she suddenly had a reddened cheek and a teary eye. “… at some house the other day,” she stammered out. That was Rarity’s doin’. She looks like she never moved, but Ah can tell she’s not quite in the same spot she was a second ago. Who said that?

“Oh, that’s my house. You were there, you should know that,” Goose said, willfully ignorant of the secret act that just happened.

“No, the jackass means dinner with my family. My uncle thought it would be a good idea ta have him over again, so we made plans.” And Ah’m not about ta ignore the stallion. Ah might be livin’ with Goose now, but Ah haven’t completely moved out just yet. Ah haven’t seen them in a few days as it is…

“Ah, that’s simply wonderful! You’ve been radiant as of late and it does my heart good to see you so happy. It’s almost as if the mare I met a year ago doesn’t exist anymore.” Rarity said clamorin’ over me. Ah rolled my eyes, but appreciated the words. Hard ta see yerself grow up, huh? Ah quickly hugged her back and checked my phone again.

“Thanks Rare. But, we really do need ta get outta here. My uncle… ain’t somepony ya keep waitin’,” Ah said. Even as Ah am now, the stallion’s ire still scares me. She and the rest of the gang started ta make their way ta the staircase as they said their goodbyes, Scoots tellin’ me ta say hi ta Applebloom fer her, but when they were all gone, only Goose, Fluttershy, and Ah remained. She looked at me with sad eyes then said,

“N-nopony knows how ripe soil is until it’s p-planted in.” With that, she turned away and headed up the stairs before Ah could say anythin’ about it.

“What the hell was that?” Ah asked. Goose shrugged.

“Beats me. She’s almost as cryptic as your uncle. Speaking of whom, I don’t know about you, but that guy puts fear in my heart like my own father used to. I’d prefer not to piss him off if we can avoid it.” Ah nodded in agreement, and with that we blinked away.


When we arrived at the door, smells of stewin’ veggies filled the air. Ah don’t know who’s makin’ what, but it sure smells good. Ah grabbed the key out of my bandanna pocket and unlocked the door. Of all ponies, Mac was in the kitchen.

“Hey, y’all are early. Ah ain’t done yet,” he complained as we walked in. He was in the middle of stirrin’ a spice inta a big sauce pot, and somethin’ was lettin’ off steam in the oven. Geez, when was the last time he cooked? Guess he had ta feed himself more often than not lately.

“Early? Ah still live here as far as Ah know. What are you doin’ in the kitchen, klutz?” Ah shot. He turned and looked at me with dead eyes. He was wearin’ an apron and had his medium length orange mane tied back in a little tail.

“What’s it look like? You look happy. Ya got an air about ya. Did y’all ‘release the tension’ from the other day?” My cheeks didn’t even get a chance ta redden before he looked back ta his work.

“Now you listen here, mister erotic dancer, what Ah-”

“What you are is home for the first time in almost a week, and the moment you walk in the door, you get in an argument with your brother? Applejack, please,” Uncle Blood said as he seemed ta materialize out of thin air next ta me. None of us noticed him before the yellow stallion had crept up next to me, and the three of us stared stiff at him. Blood red irises, a leafy green mane, a red fleshed orange on his flank. It was the same uncle Blood Ah always knew, but somethin’ about him seemed… anxious, almost. He moved ta give me a hug and Ah relaxed enough ta respond in kind.

“Howdy uncle,” Ah said as Ah let the hug squeeze the tension out of me.

“Hello Applejack. It is nice to have you home again. And hello to you, Mister Goose,” Uncle Blood said as he held a hoof out for Goose ta shake. The green stallion smiled awkwardly with a mouth full of razors and took the hoof.

“Oh, geez, please don’t call me mister. I’m not that old yet. How are you? It’s been a few weeks hasn’t it?” he asked. They shook hooves and Goose adjusted his fedora nervously shortly afterward.

“It has. I see that a lot has changed since then though. Please, have a seat,” he offered. We took our seats at the table, Goose sat next ta me in the mismatched foldin’ chair set out fer him, and Uncle Blood took his usual spot at the head of the table. Havin’ a whole house ta myself lately really made the apartment feel small. Wasn’t much space between the table and the wall, just as much space between my back and the kitchen counter, and the couch wasn’t more than a meter away from the back of Uncle Blood’s chair. How did we ever all live in this little place?Speakin’ of we…

“Where’s Applebloom?” Ah asked, noticin’ the lack of sarcasm in the previous conversation. Mac made a comment about ‘the tension’ and there wasn’t another from a third party, no doubt she ain’t here. She woulda jumped on that one. Uncle Blood reclined in his chair.

“At work still, I think. She was hired by the Carcha just north of here within the week. She would have been off a little while ago, so she should be here any minute now…” Huh. Ah didn’t know she got a job. At a Carcha no less. Ah wonder if Goose had anythin’ ta do with that? Uncle Blood turned his wrist ta check the watch he was wearin’, then his ear flicked toward the door. Mine did the same, and sure enough, Ah heard the door click. Well, that explains why Mac is cookin’. The pale yellow filly burst through the door out of breath and red faced, dressed up in most of a three piece with a white vinyl bag on her back. She gasped in place holdin’ the door handle, her big orange eyes wild and tryin’ ta focus on the ground.

“Ya popped up… outta nowhere… You’re not… supposed ta… be here yet…” she said between breaths. She was wearin’ black slacks, a white blouse, and a silky violet vest over that, almost like she found her clothes at home. Home? Home…

“Popped up? What do ya mean, ‘popped up’?” Macintosh asked as he brought whatever was in the oven ta the table. He had it covered in foil, but Ah could smell what it was now. Corn bread.

“It don’t matter what Ah mean! Put this in the fridge, Ah need ta get outta this crap,” she complained. Ah know what she means. We just ‘appeared’ on her radar. She probably wasn’t but a few minutes out when there were suddenly two new bodies in the middle of her radius. A minute or two later, she came out of her room with nothin’ but that pink bow in her mane, then took her seat next ta me. She tilted her head when she looked at me.

“Did y’all… do somethin’ with yer mane?” she asked. Ah frowned and shook my head.

“No, why do ya ask?” She tilted her head a little further, then came back ta sittin’ up straight.

“Somethin’s… different,” she muttered. At the same time, Macintosh had arrived at the table with his pot of soup.

“That’s ‘cause yer big sister’s gone and ‘released the tension’ from the other day. Ya see how relaxed she is now? That’s cause she’s been explorin’. Ah know it all too well. Happens every time.” Macintosh said with a smug smile on his face. He took his seat at the wall and Ah stared at him dead eyed.

“Macintosh, the food is on the table, please leave your innuendo at the door. I believe we had enough of that for a few dinners last time we were all together,” Uncle Blood said. He did it without a smile on his face ta be sure, but he was just keepin’ it down. Goose, Mac, and Applebloom all giggled.

“Ain’t that the truth. Let’s eat!” Applebloom exclaimed.

“Y’all suck.”


Klutz or not, Mac sure knows how ta cook. A dark veggie broth with carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, and basil over bow tie pasta with cornbread on the side. Somethin’ dad used ta make, if Ah remember right, or maybe that was mom. It’s been so long since Ah’ve had it, Ah guess it just reminds me of them. Full and happy, Goose leaned back in his chair and let out a breath of satisfaction.

“Not bad my man, not bad at all. Where did you learn how to make that?” he asked.

“Old family recipe, or so Ah’m told. You’re supposed ta use apples instead of corn, but Ah forgot ta buy any while Ah was out. It’s been a while, so Ah just kinda winged it fer the most part,” Mac said. He’d leaned over his empty bowl and was mullin’ somethin’ over in his head.

“Citrus used to make it, and he learned how to cook from Rosie, so that’s probably right. When we were young, back in the ancient times of course, we didn’t do so much as touch a kitchen. Our mother made everything and anything we would ask for, and we never really had to learn. Poor Citrus had to fend for himself when he made his way down south, so this was likely the first thing he learned. Almost twenty years old and neither of us knew how to cook. Can you imagine? Simpler times for simpler days I suppose.” The old stallion had reclined in his own chair and stared absently at the light fixture above the table. He probably knew mom better than any of us did, now that Ah think about it. He sat back up straight in his chair, then his red eyes found themselves on us.

“Speaking of simpler times, did you know that your parents married younger than you are now? She and I were born the same year. Eighteen and sixteen on their wedding day. She wasn’t even twenty when Macintosh was born. These days ponies tend to not get married at all, and have their foals even younger. It’s a damn shame, really. A wedding has this strange power to turn a colt into a stallion and a filly into a mare, the difference is almost night and day really. Thinking back on it, I’d say my own wedding was like that. Seeing Dew in her gown that day was like a bolt of lightning being struck through my heart. The truth of ‘until death do us part’ really hits you hard. You know the words, you know what they mean, but only after the ceremony do you understand them. Until the end of our days, it is you, my one and only.

Of course, life is cruel, and just like it gives, it takes without mercy. When it happened to Citrus, I grieved with him, but I never thought… it would happen to me too. When you say the words, you never think that you’re going to have to live by them. ‘It’s just a phrase for a ceremony, something like that won’t happen for decades upon decades,’ you think to yourself. Ten years later, you find yourself alone one morning and you realize that the magic is over. The words have come and gone, and just like the oath you swore, as promised, at death you’ve parted.” Mac didn’t sneak alcohol into this did he? He never talks about aunt Dew. Why is he bringin’ this up?

“Wow. I never knew…” Goose trailed off.

“No, but I pray you never will know the truth of those words, any of you. My brother at least had the luck to pass along the memory of our lineage in three strong foals before his life was taken. It does worry me when I see the two of you together though. You remind me so much of my brother, and you’re your mother’s spitting image these days. Hot blooded and willful, strong headed with an unyielding sense of honor. My question is… what’s the plan here? Any blind stallion could see that there’s something between the two of you. Applejack isn’t one to take to ponies like her brother, so you must be something special. Is there a plan?”

A plan? Special? Is it that obvious? Ah know Ah… Ah know Ah’m in somethin’ deep here but… but… what is the plan? A memory started ta play through my head. ‘Well… white everywhere and… m-maybe a… a fa…’ The realization struck me harder than a punch ta the gut and Ah felt my whole face heat up. Suddenly, Ah felt very small, and Ah wanted ta be anywhere else but under my uncle’s gaze. Why wouldn’t he be concerned, ya dumb ass!? Ya… ya touched him! In front of everypony! And since then ya’ve rounded home fuckin’ plate! You, yer decisions! He waited with ya alright, but ya know damn well how that ended, and Mac figured it out as soon as he saw ya! Hell, even yer friends picked up on it when you were caught on Tuesday! Ya think yer uncle is as oblivious as Pinkie and Twilight? The stallion who likely knew Marevelous Red lived under his roof the whole time without sayin’ a word? Dumb ass!

“P-plan? Oh uh… I-I don’t um… we hadn’t really… t-talked about anything… just yet,” Goose stammered as he clicked his hoof tips together. Even he’s embarrassed. Goddess help us.

“Nah, see, they’re in that passionate stage. Sometimes you’ll get with a mare and ya just don’t ever wanna be away from her. Or her bed. Ya get stuck like that fer a little while, then things start ta settle down, then ya realize ya might not actually like the mare ya’ve been sleepin’ with fer the past few weeks, and ya just fall out of it. Catchy’s gotta be some kinda crazy ta go after Applejack though, so Ah don’t think they’ll end up like a few of my experiences.

If ya really mean ta keep at it in a year’s time or so, y’all should just get hitched. Ah’ve looked inta it a few times and marriage statistics say that gettin’ married quicker usually leads ta longer marriages. Even better if ya do that before ya start livin’ together and takin’ ‘go forth and fill the earth’ ta heart. As long as yer beliefs are similar enough, y’all should last.” Goose and Ah gave each other a quick nervous glance, then turned away just as fast. Ah don’t know that it would be possible ta pull my hat over my face any further.

“Huh. You lookin’ inta marriage?” Applebloom asked dubiously. Mac sighed.

“Strange as it may sound fer somepony like me, Ah’ve thought about it a few times. Ah’m a piece of shit though, Mares deserve better than me. Ah just hope there ain’t a little Mac out there in the world. Ah could never be dad or Uncle, but Ah’ll be damned if Ah let my own grow up without a father. Ah’ve seen enough broken families in my life and Ah’m not about ta perpetuate the cycle.” Mac leaned back against the wall and puffed out his snout. He stared at me until Ah finally had the unfortunate luck to catch his eyes.

“You ain’t no slut, and if we’re bein’ honest here, Ah wasn’t sure ya were even interested in stallions fer a while. But, a word of warnin’ from yer older brother; the heat of the moment can blind side ya like nothin’ you’ve ever felt before. Don’t start a broken family, alright?” he said with an, honest, genuine concern unlike anythin’ Ah’ve ever heard from him. Sweet goddess, he’s completely serious about this. Ah couldn’t find my voice so Ah just nodded. He relaxed a little in his seat and then sighed.

“’Course, it’s not like this city is safe enough fer anypony ta be startin’ a family right now. Evacuations every Sunday. Never knowin’ whether yer workplace or home is gonna still be there next week is killer on the psyche.” At that, Ah couldn’t help but let out a snort, and even further Ah laughed a bit.

“Yeah. It sure would be sad ta see… pfft, snake in the wall gone one day,” Ah half laughed. Goose and Applebloom cracked up and even uncle Blood let out a little chuckle. Mac got a little redder and huffed.

“That’s what Ah get fer tryin’ ta be thoughtful. Screw it, y’all should just go back where ya came from. Ah’m gettin’ that cake.” Mac got up from his seat angrily enough and darted over ta the fridge.

“Oh, come on Mac, ya can’t!” Applebloom complained. Everypony looked at her thinkin’ somethin’ was wrong until she continued, “What’ll happen ta yer job if ya lose yer figure?” This time, everypony busted out and Mac nearly dropped the cake as he brought it over. He pulled the tabs out and removed the top from the box ta reveal a layer cake of browns and tans that let off a smell of coffee and sweet cream.

“Oh, hey, that’s the tiramisu,” Goose noted.

“Yeah, Ah had it at the one over by the harbor it when Taps took me out a while back.” Ah couldn’t help but roll my eyes. Yeah, we were there. “As it turns out, some ponies have been evacuatin’ permanently, so a lotta places are lookin’ fer employees. Ah figured now that Ah’ve got my own source of income, it’d be nice ta get a cake since you’re home safe and all. Er, Ah mean…” Ya damn loud mouth! Goose and Ah froze in our seats and Mac got a confused look on his face.

“Home safe? What do ya mean, home safe?” he interrogated. The large stallion leaned in ta Applebloom’s personal space and she tried her best ta get away.

“Well, ya know what Ah mean, uh… ya know, the… traffic and all after it’s over and- and how there’ve been a lotta wrecks gettin’ back inta the city and all…” She stammered. Oh goddess, she’s a worse liar than Ah am. Mac frowned.

“Well that’s bullshit if Ah’ve ever heard it. What is she talkin’ about? What are y’all doin’ durin’ the evacuations anyways? You’re never with us. Hell, we didn’t even see ya last Sunday, ya just called. If you’re part of construction or whatever, why is it that you’re usually here on Mondays? Look, Ah’m not as dumb as ya think Ah am, but Ah always figured ya’d just tell me. Now Ah think Ah’m the only one here outta the loop. What are ya hidin’ from me, Applejack?” Okay, no need ta panic. Just think of an excuse like ya always do. It’s easy. Why tell him somethin’ he doesn’t need ta know? He’ll just worry about me and complain about it. He don’t need ta know. He’s my big brother. He don’t need ta know.

“Well, Ah uh…” Ah started, but the words just wouldn’t come.

“Well, ya what? Don’t ya give me some bullshit excuse like ya usually do,” He said as he stared me down. Ah looked ta Goose fer help, but as soon as Ah did he got up.

“Wow, this looks like a family issue, so I’m just gonna-” and then he blinked out of existence. Coward! You’ll face down a goddess damned kaiju, but not my brother!?

“Huh. Where did he go? Could he always do that? Ya know what? That’s not important, he’s not my sister. You are my sister, and you need ta tell me what’s goin’ on. Right now,” he demanded.

“Ah…” Damn it, why does he have ta bring this up now? Ah was on business the other day, it’s not like… he doesn’t need ta know, damn it! He’s my big clumsy brother, Ah was the one who took care of him, he… he was supposed ta stay outta this. “Gah, damn it Mac! It ain’t none of yer business!” Ah stood up and met him eye ta eye. He raised his snout.

“Oh, it sure as hell is. Fine, Ah ain’t gonna play no damn games anymore.” He stormed off inta his room and came out a minute later holdin’ some kinda red cloth in his hoof. He cleared a space and then threw it on the table, starin’ me down all the while. “What’s that?” Shit. “Ah was cleanin’ the apartment the other day and Ah found this under yer bed.” Why did he clean under my bed? Ah sleep on a mattress on the floor! Or well… Ah usually do. How long has he had this? Damn it Star, why in the world did ya ever make me a new suit? “Come on Applejack. There ain’t a damn pony in this city who don’t know what this, who it belongs ta.” Mac was pleadin’ with me now. Caught. Again.

“What do ya want from me Mac? Ya know damn well what Ah’ve been doin’ on Sunday. When did ya find it?” He let out a tired sigh and sat back down with a hoof on his forehead.

“Yesterday. And here Ah thought ya were committed ta lyin’ ta me. So what is yer plan here? Are ya just gonna up and die under rubble like he did?” He asked, anger flarin’ back up in his voice. Of course he knows that too. Why wouldn’t he?

“Maybe! Who knows where Ah’m gonna die! Ah thought Ah was gonna die a few days ago! Ah thought Ah was gonna die two weeks ago! Ah thought Ah was gonna die last year, and the year before! Hasn’t happened yet. Where are you gonna die Mac?” Ah shot back, angrier than Ah thought Ah was. He rose ta full height in a hurry.

“Probably when Ah’m at home in my nineties with a family around me because Ah’m not runnin’ around tryin ta play the hero! Ah expect ta live and leave a legacy behind, because that’s what my parents wanted me ta do! Do ya think that he’d be proud of ya if he survived that day? Proud that you’re out there riskin’ yer life fer some city that don’t give a damn if ya end up a smear on the concrete?” He was yellin’ back at me.

“He might! Ah made somethin’ of myself outta nothin’ but grit and determination, just like he did! What are you doin’, huh? Twenty five, livin’ at home with the rest of us, strugglin’ ta make a livin’ after failin’ ta fuck yer way up the ladder. Ah have everythin’ we never had growin’ up now that Ah’ve made it here. With the job Ah work now, Ah’m never gonna want fer anythin’! Ah’m never gonna have ta struggle ta pay my rent, Ah’m never gonna have ta live off of canned soup and instant ramen, and Ah’ll never have ta pick up extra work so that my siblin’s can eat!”

“Sure, and when we never find yer body, then ya can take all yer damn money ta hell with ya! Ah remember a certain line somepony said ta me not too long ago, what was it again? ‘What’s the point if ya die just tryin’ ta live?’ What is the point Applejack, ‘cause it seems ta me that ya figured it out.” He lowered his voice and then sat back down. Now Ah was the only one standin’ at the table.

“The point is-”

“The point is that you’re a damn hypocrite. Ya’d rather watch me struggle ta live like a normal pony and bear the burden yerself.”

“Ah didn’t want ya gettin’ inta the same shit that Ah was! Ah can protect myself, Ah know what the dark side of this city looks like, Ah know the kinda horrible shit that happens here every day, you-”

“Ah what? Ah’m just some big klutz that you have ta protect? Last Ah checked, Ah was yer older brother, not the other way around. Ah never asked fer yer help, Ah never asked ya ta do anythin’ fer me. It was my job ta be the one who fixes the problem, it was my responsibility ta pick up the slack because Ah was the stallion in the house, and Ah was the oldest. Ah can protect myself. Ah was supposed ta protect y’all too, but you decided ta go on and do it for me. You’re my little sister Applejack, you ain’t my damn mother.” He must’ve pressed one of my buttons because now Ah wanted ta punch his stupid face in.

“And yer a damn asshole!” Before Ah knew it, Ah was throwin’ a punch at him, but then the strangest thin’ happened. He caught it. She sheer force of the punch itself tossed napkins all over the place, ponies manes flew back and forth and he just stared at me like his hoof steamin’ from the friction of catchin’ mine was an everyday occurrence. Goose blinked back in and just about slapped his hooves ta his face.

“Oh my goddess, what did you- Ahh! Why? Again!? I thought we were over this!” Mac didn’t bother lookin’ at him though.

“Some hero you are. What are ya tryin’ ta do with somethin’ like that, kill me? Here’s somethin’ ya probably didn’t know; ya ain’t the only one.” Ah was shocked. Ah was horrified that Ah tried ta hit him, and even more so that he just… caught it. It was like Ah was dealin’ with Goose, only… he might be stronger.

“Mac, Ah’m so sorry, Ah didn’t mean-”

“Ya didn’t mean what? Ta get mad, lose yer temper and try ta crush my skull? Is this how ya save ponies? By killin’ yer enemies? Ah coulda been doin’ exactly what you are. Ah could learned and been every bit a hero as you are, but Ah decided that it was not only foolish, but an even better way ta get killed. Ah thought Ah had sisters at home that needed me, so Ah wasn’t about ta go out and do somethin’ dangerous that might get me hurt and put y’all in danger. Ah was thirteen Applejack, Ah knew who was who and who died twelve years ago. Ah knew better. Ah knew y’all were lyin’ ta me all this time about yer job, but Ah never thought ya were doin’ this…” He brought his hooves ta his head and let out an exasperated breath. The table fell silent and after a moment, Ah eventually made Goose sit back down beside me. Almost like the sound attracted him, Mac brought his eyes up.

“Who are ya, really? Are ya actually Catchy? Or are ya somepony else? And… did he say again? Applejack, who else got under yer skin? Did ya try ta kill them too?” he paused and took another breath, his eyes focused on me and… those dark greens were startin’ ta redden and fill. “Ah want ta know what you’ve been up ta. Ah’m tired of the lies, Ah’m tired of wonderin’ if Ah’m ever gonna see ya again, and Ah’m tired of you runnin’ off ta do whatever damn thin’ ya do. Ah want the truth, and Ah want all of it. You’re my little sister damn it. You three are all Ah’ve got, Ah can’t… Ah can’t lose any more family in the dark.” His lower lip was firmly between his grindin’ teeth, and he… couldn’t keep lookin’ at me. Goddess damn it Mac. Ya coulda done this whenever ya wanted ta, why did ya have ta spring this on me now? Is it because yer worried about him? Or us? Damn it.

“Do ya… really wanna know? It’s not a pretty story, and the ponies Ah’m friends with… well, we ain’t saints, that’s fer sure. Even my stupid boyfriend over here, we’re… we’re bad company.” Ah finally asked. He shook his head and shrugged.

“No. Ah wish Ah’d never even found that damn thin’, but now we’re here, and it’s out in the open fer everypony. Ah don’t know what either of y’all knew, but Ah’m sorry Ah dragged ya inta it if ya didn’t know anythin’ before. But… Ah need ta know, ‘cause Ah can’t stand bein’ in the dark.”

“Fine. Ah’ve been doin’ research fer my boss this week about power and genetics, Ah don’t know why Ah never thought ya might have the same powers that Ah do. Ah just figured that since Applebloom’s powers are different that maybe… Ah guess it don’t make any difference now. Oh well. If one thin’s cleared up about all this, it’s that mom probably died because of the virus. Ah met the family of a friend of mine yesterday, and as it turns out Ah’ve got a few stories that suggest that the virus is an STD as well. One more thin’ ta add ta my report Ah suppose.” Ah leaned back in my chair and sighed.

“So it was just me. Unless ya didn’t know anything either Uncle,” Mac asked. Silent as ever, the yellow stallion simply leaned back in his chair.

“Ponies… who have their eyes opened for them have a difficult time closing them. I know quite a bit. As a matter of fact, I’ve known quite a bit for a long time. I… am not Citrus though, I’ve always been indecisive, so I decided to stay out of it. It maybe that I helped push Applejack in this direction, and I might have known all of your powers for a time in no little part due to my own. But… here’s what I will say; no matter what I do, you three are going to live your lives however you choose to do so, and nothing I say or do is going to stop you from doing it. You chose not to use your powers, and she chose to use hers. You both made decisions, and you’re both walking a path you decided to take. The only thing that doesn’t change here is that you are siblings, and blood, is thicker than water.” Thanks Celestia, ya always know how ta make me feel bad. Ah swear, those two are peas in a damn pod. Goddess help us if they ever met, Ah might end up blood related ta Twilight. Mac sighed and laid his head on my old suit.

“Perfect. Ya helped her do it. What about y’all, when did ya figure it out?” he asked Applebloom.

“Uh… it was on Caballo day. She’d done some stuff and got inta a fight with… is she a coworker now?” Applebloom asked.

“Yeah. Scootaloo says ‘hi’ by the way,” ah replied rememberin’ my promise from earlier. Applebloom squinted at me.

“Oh-kay… so uh, we were at the fair and she straight up destroyed a punch meter while she was in that competitive mode of hers. Ah just put two and two together and pressured her inta talkin’ about it. Ah doubt she woulda said anythin’ if Ah didn’t get mad and say some stuff Ah shouldn’t have earlier though.” Applebloom dipped her head and put her hooves together in her lap. Huh. She still feels bad about that. Ah’m not sure if Ah should be happy or not.

“Mmhmm. Ah heard about that, it figures that y’all were the one who did it. Seems like old news now, so much has happened since then.” He rose from the table, took a deep breath and sat back up straight. “Alright. Let’s hear it. Where does Applejack become Marevelous Red? Why are ya out there fightin’ those monsters that show up every week? Who’s payin’ ya? Why didn’t ya tell us? Why didn’t ya tell me? Let’s go, Ah wanna hear all of it.” Ah scratched at my face. Well, Ah can’t even answer one of those questions already.

“Okay, but, and Ah know you’re not gonna like this, Ah can’t exactly tell ya everythin’. My job required me ta sign somethin’ a little bit more… bindin’ than a contract, and there are certain thin’s Ah can’t talk about. ‘Cause if Ah do, Ah won’t be doin’ much talkin’ ever again.” Mac rolled his eyes.

“Oh, yeah? What’d ya do, go off and join the military?” he poked. Ah don’t know why Ah even carry this damn thin’ around. Rather than look at him, because Ah couldn’t, Ah just took my badge out of dad’s old jacket and threw it on the table. Mac just blinked and stared at the little golden leaf.

“Well, that’s a little bit more than just joinin’ the military, ain’t it? How long ya been at this? Five years? Ten? Sweet Goddess, who has the power ta just give a twenty year old a rank like this? Next thin’ you’re gonna tell me is that Princess Celestia gave it ta ya personally.” Ah just… bit my tongue and turned my head away a little further. Ah could feel the dull pain of searin’ flames at the back of my throat slowly growin’ and was almost more afraid of sayin’ anythin’ ta make my brother dismay more than the fire on my tongue.

“Careful Macintosh, if you leave your jaw open like that, flies are bound to fly in,” uncle Blood broke the silence. Mac closed his mouth, but couldn’t find anymore words ta add.

“Well, shit. Ah shoulda kept my damn mouth shut in the first place,” Mac muttered. Did Applebloom know about that part? Nah, Ah bet she didn’t. Of course, those eyes were about the opposite kinda shocked that Mac’s were. He was mortified, and she was starry eyed.

“Okay so, there’s kinda a lot ta unpack here uh… Sugarcube, ya wanna help me out here?” Ah asked, hopin’ once again he might bail me out here. Goose shook his head.

“No way, you already dug half our graves, you finish it. You know what? Here, I’ll give them the short version of my story while you figure out what you want to say. Hi, I am Lamnidae Carcharodon, Catchy as you two so lovingly called me back in our childhoods, and Goose Fang, former leader of the Boneheads, the gang that had control of south east Manehattan up until about a month ago. My father was Carcharias Carcharodon, owner of Carcha, our namesake, and known as Shark Tooth to the underworld. I lived with my mother in north Manehattan around the same time you did because your dad arrested mine.

Similarly, Marevelous over here, arrested me while on a job for her new outfit. I was later then recruited because her team was about as well experienced as you are in the martial arts among other extraneous circumstances, and now… we… live together? There was this unfulfilled crush/love thing that happened over the past fifteen years that was fulfilled in the past week and figuring out what comes next is a little off my mind since we should definitely be dead after last Sunday but aren’t thanks to a Deus ex machina. I’ll get back to you once I figure out what the next step in our relationship is. Promise, you’ll hear from me soon. You’re up honey♥”

Mother fucker had this practiced already! Yer gonna pay fer this. Just y’all wait. Ah didn’t know what ta do, so Ah just tried ta smile. Thanks Goose. Ya found a way ta make this look worse. ‘Geez Applejack, do ya fuck all yer captives?’ Ah can hear it, it’ll be on the tip of their tongues any second now. Nope, Ah can’t. Ah can’t let ‘em say it. Just go. Say whatever and tell the truth. Ain’t nothin’ ya say is gonna be any worse than the shit yer ‘boyfriend’ just spewed all over the table.

“So uh… five years ago…”


“Now we’re just wonderin’ whether or not thin’s are gonna be that easy come Sunday. That’s everythin’ Ah’m allowed ta say, so… be satisfied. Or don’t, Ah don’t care. Ah’ve got enough on my plate without worryin’ whether or not y’all are happy. Whatever.” Ah let my head fall inta my hooves and sighed. Ah feel awful about all this. Now that Ah tell my family, Ah can see why everypony else was so afraid ta tell theirs. It’s not like Ah’ve got a long reputation of slaughter ta own up ta, but even the fact that Ah kept it a secret from him all this time feels like Ah did somethin’ wrong. Worse than any of the other shit Ah did, like killin’ those thugs ta protect Uncle Blood back when this all started. Ah can’t tell if my life is a mess or finally startin’ ta straighten out. Ah’m head first infatuated with somepony if not truly in love fer the first time, Ah’m livin’ every day expectin’ ta not see next week, Ah have more money now than Ah’ve ever had in my whole life, and Ah can only wonder if this all ain’t some malicious trick the goddess is playin’ on me. Mac laughed.

“Heh. And here Ah thought Ah was the one ta rush head first inta dumb decisions. Ah guess with me, it’s usually with the one between my legs, but all the same, what in the goddess’ name did ya get yerself inta Applejack?” Now it was my turn ta lay my head on the table.

“Ah don’t know. Ah was desperate, Ah thought we were desperate. Ah thought money would be an easy answer ta problems, but as it turns out, nothin’ is easy, and havin’ money just brings about different problems.” Goose rubbed my back, and as Ah felt a tingle run up my spine, Ah decided that Ah now felt worse. It wasn’t that it wasn’t a comfortin’ gesture, but Ah felt somethin’ Ah wasn’t in the mood fer, and feelin’ that in front of my family made me think back ta the last time we had dinner together and all the shame it brought with it. Shame. That’s what this awful feelin’ burnin in my stomach is.

“In all fairness to you, we were poor at the time. I wouldn’t say we were in danger of starving, but I don’t make enough to support the four of us and put the three of you through school while living comfortably. Even now that’s the case, but you all have jobs and make your own money, though some more… adventurously than others. It’s not as if either of your jobs are poor ways to make a living, but it’s not something… everypony can do. You both saw an opportunity, and you both took it. You just ended up taking an opportunity that lead down a rabbit hole like no other.” Uncle Blood was probably tryin’ ta offer some support with that, but it didn’t really make me feel any better. Mac rolled his eyes.

“Well, at least you didn’t think ta use yer body. Ah’m still surprised Ah got away with it in the first place. Ah’m still shocked that ya make twenty gold a month fer this shit. Course, ya marry him and suddenly money might as well not be an object anymore. How much are ya worth exactly?” Out of my whole story, Mac was mostly focused on the monetary aspect of it all now that he’d gotten over my probable imminent death. His wage is a little above average, about two and a half gold a month or twenty five hundred bits, not includin’ the tips he gets when the mares and sometimes stallions, enjoyed his company more than their liquor. Ah make about ten times that, and whatever Goose has is an unknowable fortune ta most ponies in the world. It’s not like Ah realized that when Ah started fallin’ fer the idiot, but now Mac and the rest of my family probably think Ah’m a gold digger ta boot. It made Goose uncomfortable.

“Is this… really something we need to discuss? Like, isn’t your sister’s life, and by association mine, a bit more important than the cash we’ve got floating around?” he asked, tryin’ ta dodge the question. Mac shrugged.

“Ah guess, but what am Ah supposed ta do about now that Ah know she takes her orders from the top of the chain? Ya think the Princess is gonna give a damn if Ah come around complainin’ about my sister signin’ her life away fer money? Maybe that wasn’t yer initial motivation ta take over this special group or whatever, but it sure does help, don’t it? Like, how does somepony just get invited ta do somethin’ like that? Ah know ya can’t tell me much, but damn. Now Ah really gotta know what yer plan is. Are ya gonna try and rank up? Are ya just gonna stick around? Are ya gonna try ta see the world now that ya’ve got the chance?

The way Ah see it, maybe ya did make the right choice here. Ah can be worried about ya no matter what ya do, and Ah’ll be worried watchin’ the fight on Sunday too, especially now that Ah know who’s fightin’ who. But… even if Ah’m worried, if ya live through this, you’ll have a lotta options later down the line ta do thin’s we never woulda dreamed of doin’ back when we were kids. Hell, if y’all keep together after all this is over, ya might even get ta do that kinda stuff with yer own foals. Whether or not Ah like it, you’re more of dad’s kid than Ah am, but maybe that ain’t a bad thin’. Ah’m sure Ah’ll change my tune if somethin’ goes wrong, but… Ah might as well be helpless in this position. Ah’d rather ya know that Ah support what yer doin’ than have ya worryin’ about my disapproval while you’re tryin’ ta fight. Provided ya live long enough ta see it, ya really set yerself up fer a bright future here.”

Mac had his back legs crossed and was leanin’ against the wall with his front hooves crossed behind his head. Ah can only wonder if he’s makin’ plans fer me up there. Sigh. Ah felt bad earlier, but now that Ah know what he thinks, Ah wish this had just never come out. Ah’ve never known him ta be greedy, but Ah hope he’s not blinded by gold here. A thought came ta mind and Ah felt a dark smile creep across my lips.

“Well then Mac, if ya really like the idea of twenty gold a month, Ah’m sure Ah could pull some strings and get ya in a place where ya could make it. Ya might just have ta sign yer life away and put on a colorful suit, but that ain’t too much different than what ya do now, right?” Ah asked. Mac let the chair fall back ta all fours and stared me dead eyed.

“How about no. Ah have done lots of po- er, thin’s Ah regret fer money, but Ah’m not about ta go fight fer it. Ah’m sure ya know this, but gettin’ shot and stabbed don’t feel too good, and Ah’m not about ta go make a habit of it. Maybe Ah’m fixated on that ‘cause Ah’m tryin’ ta find some kinda good in all this. Ah don’t think it’s ever gonna sit right with me that this is the life ya chose, but Ah get the feelin’ that my other sister has similar aspirations, so why sulk about it? If Ah won’t let ya be my mother, then Ah’m not about ta try and be yer father.” Ah put an elbow on the table and leaned my head against my hoof.

“Sure Mac. Ah’m bet ya do regret doin’ some of the ponies ya did fer money, especially cause it cost ya a few jobs,” Ah chuckled and let out another breath. The fightin’ hadn’t been exhaustin’, but this certainly was. Ah pulled out my phone ta check the time, and it was a lot later than Ah wanted it ta be. Geez, it’s already three quarters ta midnight. Ah stood up from my chair and stretched myself. “Well, if that’s all cleared up, Ah think it’s about time we let y’all get ta bed. We’ve still got work in the mornin’, and whatever shows up Sunday ain’t gonna go down without a fight.” Or so Ah think anyways. On queue, everypony got up from the table.

“Keep us posted. Even though you seem to have found another, remember that this is still your home,” Uncle Blood said as he moved ta hug me. He shook Goose’s hoof next and Ah could swear Ah heard the faintest whisper pass between them, but nopony’s mouth ever moved. “And good luck to you sir. I hope for nothing but the best for you both.” Next was Mac’s turn. He pulled me in close and squeezed me tight. Probably tighter than most ponies were capable of.

“Ah swear Applejack, Ah better see ya next Monday, alright? Ah’ll come find ya wherever ya are and kill ya myself if Ah don’t, alright?” he said. His greens met mine, and Ah could swear that his were misty. He let me go and then rubbed at them. “As fer y’all, Ah’m still not sure you’re who ya say ya are, but Ah intend ta figure it out right here and now. There’s only one pony in the world who knows the motion, and he never woulda forgot it.” They stood across from each other, Mac stared Goose down, and Goose did the same. Mac raised a left front hoof and waited. Goose mirrored him, and then it started.

The hooves pulled back and punched each other, wind whooshin’ and light objects whirlin’ away from the force of blows. The hooves swapped ta right hooves, then they both took a step forward with their back left and met right elbows, then left elbows. The force the hooves let off was almost like they were fightin’, but this was some kinda dance or somethin’. Left hoof ta left hoof, right hoof ta right hoof, release and front hooves oncorrespondin’ shoulders. They both reared their heads back and then slammed their foreheads ta each other. They both took woozy steps backward and each clutched at their now bloody foreheads.

“Son of a bitch, that was always the worst part,” Goose grumbled as he rubbed at the new wound. Mac wiped away the blood off his head and nodded in approval.

“Well, you’re definitely Catchy, that’s fer sure.” Goose also nodded.

“Of course I am. The name “Boneheads” didn’t come from nowhere after all,” he said like it was a point of pride. Mac smiled.

“That’s what Ms. Swan used ta call us, wasn’t it?” Goose smiled in return.

“Every time she found us with bloody foreheads. ‘You boys would kill each other doing that if you were unicorns.’” Goose and Mac laughed and Ah just stood there wonderin’ what in the hell just happened.

“Uh… are y’all outta yer damn minds?” Ah asked. They both turned ta me in unison and said,

“It’s a guy thing, you wouldn’t understand,” and then returned ta laughin’. Whatever. Ah felt Applebloom come up on my side and wrap her hooves around me.

“You’re gonna come back safe, right?” she asked. She might believe she’s a mare, but this right here is the little filly Ah helped raise. Ah smiled as sweetly as Ah could and pulled her head in.

“Ah’m gonna do whatever Ah can. Ah’m not diein’ any time soon, so don’t y’all worry none. In a few weeks, this’ll all be over and thin’s will be… different, but normal again.” No. That’s a lie. Nothin’ will ever be normal again.

PreviousChapters Next