• Published 26th May 2016
  • 2,649 Views, 263 Comments

Sometimes They Call Me Super - KorenCZ11



My name is Jaquline Apple, but most ponies call me Applejack. However, that isn't my only name. Every now and again, ponies know me as Marevelous Red. Sometimes they call me Super, other times they call me a Hero.

  • ...
17
 263
 2,649

PreviousChapters Next
Kaiju III - Ramiel - Between Night and Day (part 3)

I’d just taken a seat in my chair when Mother walked into the living room. Well. There she is. What do I even say to her? Hey, I spent the last however many hours hearing dad’s side of the story? I can use my powers and my magic together now? No, she’d kill Luna over that. Should I say anything? I mean… they loved each other didn’t they? Shouldn’t she know that he’s still around? Or… would that defeat the purpose? She came to me, and then took a seat without saying a word. Luna followed suit, and the rest were eagerly waiting the mare of the hour to arrive. Sure enough, out of the shadows she walked, and not a second passed before she was surrounded by everypony.

‘Welcome back! We missed you. Glad to have you home. It’s just not harmony without you.’ It’s not my role. That’s not the part I play. But all the same, I just… if it were me, would they say the same things? Hell, even I missed her but… that jealous sting that keeps stabbing at my heart just won’t go away.

‘Swallow your pride and say what you mean, not what you wish you had.’ Sombra echoed in my head. He’s right, you know he’s right. Just… accept where you stand. You won’t stand here forever.

“It’s good to see you home. I knew that you really helped pull the team together when you first showed up, but after trying to fight together without you… it certainly makes a world of difference.” I said between mother and Luna, day and night. Why would you say that? Don’t you miss her? aren’t you glad that she’s back more than you’re happy to have her ability at your disposal? Despicable. It’s fine. We have to get through today first. Just… let it go and move on. I went to ask her where she was, but the Goose beat me to it.

“So, first on the agenda, whether or not this is really it, what happened? Where were you?” He asked. Piece of shit. But why would he respect you when you haven’t done anything to earn it? Leader only in name, remember? Playing right into what they expect does you no favors.

“Oh, well… Ah had some… personal issues that were… hinderin’ my ability ta lead. But, Ah think that Ah managed ta get through the biggest ones, so Ah should be in better shape now.” Applejackreplied. Yeah, but certainly not alone.

“So, mom had you right?” I asked, knowing the answer.

“That… pretty much sums it up.” Applejack said. Of course. Luna probably knew the whole time. Why wouldn’t she tell me?

“Whatever. You could’ve said something, you know!” I yelled at her. She leaned back and brought a hoof to her chest.

“Wha- me!? You act as if I know everything she does! One thousand, two thousand, even after three thousand years, I may never figure out how that head of hers works. Never forget, I did not even know about you until you were at my doorstep!” Luna shot back. Damn it. You know what? No, this was her fault. Why didn’t she tell me what was going on? I stared mother down, and she just gave me her trademark ‘you will get nothing from me’ smile.

“The matter was private and settled now, and that is all anypony needs to know. So, on to the real agenda, today I bring you these. Applejack and I made them over the course of the last few days.” From a sash around her neck, mother took and laid out five spears made of some silvery metal that had a strange allure to it. As she passed them around, oddly enough with her hooves, I went to touch one, but she quickly shoved it out of my reach. A single spear had a lime-green aura to it, the one she passed to Applejack, while everyone but Rarity and I got a spear that I could only describe as… dormant. The glowing one felt… almost alive. “Applejack, if you will.” Mother motioned.

“Of course.” She said as she stood from her chair, then picked up the glowing spear. “Based on what we know, the princess has decided that Ramiel will likely be out next fight. That said, we needed a lot more protection and a better way ta fight against somethin’ like him. These are called…” She paused, turned the spear around till some strange runes on the shaft were facing her, then said something I didn’t quite understand. It was as if I heard that she said some combination of sounds, but it was like my mind couldn’t process what those sounds were. Applejack looked up, and everypony was staring at her, Mother and Luna with wide eyes, and the rest confused. Before I could even ask what just happened, Mother grabbed Applejack, dropped the spear, then teleported away.

“What just happened?” Pinkie was the first to ask. Luna looked a little panicked, but answered quickly.

“Well… I think I will just go figure that out exactly! One moment.” she said, then teleported away herself. Well that doesn’t bode well.

“Something tells me something unexpected just happened. I have no idea what Applejack said. Anypony else?” Rarity asked. We all shook our heads, which makes me wonder if mother and Luna did know. If that’s the case, then that must also be the issue. We sat in silence for a while, and then Luna returned, but with a… strange smile on her face and she couldn’t keep from giggling.

“Are… are you okay?” I asked. She attempted to keep a straight face, but failed.

“I- pfft I am f-fine. Hehe…” She managed. I felt myself start leaning away from where she sat and eagerly awaited mother and Applejack’s return. It was a few minutes before they finally did, and Luna only started giggling more once they showed up.

“She’s been like this ever since she came back. It’s creepy, and I don’t know how to make her stop. What’s going on?” I asked. Mother rolled her eyes and had Applejack take her seat.

“Something unexpected happened, so we’re just going to deal. There’s only two hours left until whatever is coming arrives, so explanations can wait. Anyways, the spears. These are called God Slayers, and they absorb magic. Twilight, Rarity, do not touch them, and do not use magic if you do. You might survive, but if Rarity were to try and use magic on one or while touching one, she would die without question. When the spear gains a green glow like the one Applejack has, that means it is primed to use it’s second function. When tossed while charged, the spear will release all of its stored magic at whatever it hits, much like a grenade. If the inscription is read while charged, then the spear will fire a blast of all the concentrated magic it has absorbed.” Mother’s horn lit up with her golden aura, then near the back wall of the living room formed a solid looking bowl made of magic. “Applejack, if you will.” She finished. Applejack picked up the glowing spear and said… something, then, the spear did exactly as she said it would.

The magic being expelled from the thing was more than anything I had experienced in the last few days, and that is saying something. My own powers have the potential to make 27 percent of Luna’s power more like 50 percent. This… this was well beyond that. The explosion of light, the purity of the color, the intense heat of just being near it was all overwhelming. Good goddess… just what the hell is this thing?

When the beam had finished firing, Mother’s barrier was cracked. How many ponies in the world have the power to do that? How many bombs would it take to accomplish what one of these spears just did? Why does she know how to make these? What were they used for before mother had them? Where did they even come from? I didn’t even have a chance to ask these questions before she moved the topic away.

“As you can see, it is very destructive, and this is why only Applejack knows the firing incantation. I doubt anypony other than Goose could handle the recoil anyways, so better to not risk you killing yourselves with it. Now then, we’re going to go down to the training room to run three simulations over the next hour and a half before you need to head out.” She said. She was about to lead the way when Pinkie, as if she were a grade school filly, raised her hoof. “Yes?” Mother asked.

“Uh, what did Applejack even say? She started speaking gibberish, and then you two just freaked out and warped away.” Ah, she sure does know how to speak for the crowd. Mother frowned.

“Ever observant, always a good trait. Questions are for later, now is the time for preparation. Let us be off, the clock is ticking!” But of course she avoids the question. Why would she answer? Mother and Applejack started making their way to the training room, while the rest of us looked to Luna for answers.

“What? Do not cast your gaze at me. She said questions are for later. Take up your queries after you return alive from your mission.” Luna said. And that makes two. If I know anything, it’s that we will never get an answer on this.


I am extremely anxious. It would be one thing if it was just another monster like the last two. Neither of them had any kind of energy attacks. But this… this won’t go well for anypony. The simulations we ran never ended in success, we always lost two, three or the entire group, and when it came down to it, I couldn’t handle the projected level of magic energy thins thing is capable of and was vaporized without so much as a thought.

“Don’t panic. You’re not dead yet, and you don’t know if things will go the same way. Breathe, Twilight.” Father said.

Don’t panic? Don’t panic!? I’m already panicking! Nopony is going to live through this! We got lucky both times we won, and I wasn’t even there for one of those! The other two monsters were nothing compared to this! What happens if this thing is even more powerful than Mother projected? What if even she can’t stop the attacks this thing puts out? Lose the city, who cares if that happens, this thing could kill the oldest living creature on the planet!

“You don’t know that. Nothing has happened yet. Count with me. One. Two. Three.”

Four. Five. Six. Seven… He’d managed to talk me down, but it didn’t last long. I opened my eyes to see everypony else bringing their shields up and waiting in silence. I managed to catch a glimpse of the clock and finally I heard the bells tolling. What count is that!? Is it already-

A little ways away in the distance, not but blocks away, that terrifying bright orange lightning struck the ground. It’s coming. From that spot rose a pillar of cyan colored clear liquid. The liquid continued to rise, floating in place when a bright red light shone through it as it swirled into a sphere. From the center it formed a cube shape, then it tilted on its axis, sitting loftily like a diamond in the sky. For size, it could rival Sachiel. As far as volume goes, this thing could probably fill every pool in Manehattan and then some.

Are you seeing this? Please tell me you’re seeing this. I asked.

“I am just a specter, Twilight. I haven’t truly ‘seen’ in twenty years based on your age. Be strong. Whether or not you believe it, your friends need you. If not for yourself, then for the ponies whose lives will be ruined by this monster and the future you wish to see come true, be strong.” Father said. The screens all around lit up with that two faced comedy and tragedy mask, and there he was. Persona.

“Ah, there you all are. I looked in many places I’d expected you to show up, but in a random part of the city north of central park? There’s nothing significant about this area, so I can only wonder what makes you gather here. And what... interesting weaponry you have here. Shields and spears? My, have we devolved so far that you must rely on something so base to defeat my Kaiju? Surely you realize that if something like a bullet does so little to my kaiju, that your spears won’t likely do so as much as scratch the surface? But alas, that is neither here nor there. The clock strikes noon and your next challenge awaits, Harmony and the traitor! I’m done simply sending my Kaiju to search for my missing object! Those that follow Israfel will be out to destroy as much as possible and kill those who stand in my way! Heroes and the traitor, the time to rise above is here yet again! Go beyond and show me what a true hero looks like! Begin, Ramiel!”

He always says that. Why? I never really thought about it, but he always encourages us to win. That doesn’t make sense. If he wants to find the Original, then why…? I heard a strange sound, something like that of flowing water, and finally did I look up and see the monster turn into the lotus shape I’d already come to fear.

Blur, Crow, Target, phalanx formation! BK, with me!” Applejack echoed in my head. ‘Oh yeah, and you two just sit there and be protected Ah guess.’ I’m not desperate enough to try and take a laser head on, but it would be nice to get at least some direction when she gives out orders. I moved into position with Diamond and we waited.

BK, aim just under the bottom petal about ten meters out from the body at the heat blur! If that’s where the shield is, Ah’ll move in and javelin his mirror!”Heat blur? What is she talking about?

“Heat blur? What in the world are you talking about?” The Black Knight parroted my own thoughts.

“What do ya mean, ‘what am Ah talkin’ about?’ it’s right in front of yer face, throw the damn spear!” Applejack yelled. They don’t have time to be arguing! Ramiel is about to fire!

“Shit, we don’t have time! Get out of the way!” The Black Knight dodged left and Applejack dodged right, then the sound of a camera flash boomed through the air as a very bright light formed at the center of the crystalline lotus. Like watching the sun fall to earth, the light came toward us and I shielded my eyes. It was just like being next to the spear when it fired, but so much more. Being at the end, the destination of the laser was so hot, I thought my armor was going to singe off my coat. It was so bright that I could still see daylight even though my eyes were closed and hidden behind my wings. The fire and light finally subsided, and once that was all done, I couldn’t believe my eyes.

Our energy shields looked like grease fried eggs, all bubbled up and thin around the edges, one of the three spears was fully charged from absorbing all that energy, and everything in front of us was either melted, white hot, or vaporized anywhere the laser touched. I nearly fell on my butt as the despair washed over me. How… how are we supposed to beat this? There’s… there’s no way we can do this. We should just run while we have the chance.

“How dare you give up! Who do you think you are!? You’re the daughter of a king and a princess, one of the most powerful beings on your planet, and you are so scared that you’ve already decided to turn tail and run? Stand up and face your enemy! Your friends haven’t given up and you still yet breathe! You may not be a fighter, but you certainly will not be a coward as long as my soul is bound to you! Stand and fight!” Sombra yelled in my ears.

Yes sir! I responded immediately, even though I was about ready to pee myself. Even in the face of this, nothing is more terrifying mother’s angry voice, and now that I’d heard it, his wasn’t far off the mark either.

Fuck! It burned my coat under suit!” The Crow yelled.

M-my spear is charged! W-what do I do now?” Target worried. Does she know about the shields? Has anypony else noticed yet? I should say something…

Marevelous, that blast fried the edges of their shields! This kind of energy isn’t something these shields were designed to handle, if we run out of spears, this is all over! The shields can take another hit, but after that they’re done, and we had three spears absorbing magic from that blast, we can’t last like this!”I added. My breath is shaking, my legs are quivering, and if I move I’m not sure I can hold it in… but I’m still here. Remember the promise we made before we left. I will see you tomorrow.

Ah get it, this isn’t great, we knew somethin’ like this would happen, just be thankful ya have the spears at all! Everypony, Ah need ya ta tell me what ya see when ya look at this thin’!”Marevelous asked. What is she seeing that we aren’t?

“I see a big baby blue diamond in the sky at the moment. Am I supposed to see more than that?” Blur responded.

“Same here!” I and everypony else said. Is there more to this that we don’t know about? Why does she know about it?

Crow, what did that field feel like when ya hit it?” Marevelous asked. As she did, Ramiel moved toward us and seemed to turn its ‘face’ toward Marevelous, but its point was aimed straight at the Empire building. Wait… what is it doing now?

I don’t know, like wet ice I guess? It was slippery, but hard, as if it were made of some kind of really strong rock. It felt like it was moving. Why? What are you seeing that we aren’t?” The Crow asked for me. Clearly I’m not the only one coming to these conclusions, but if I’m the first one to do so, then why am I not asking the questions? Get a grip Twilight!

Ah’m not sure, but it don’t seem ta care about y’all right now. Prepare ta intercept another beam and Fluttershy, trade spears with me!”Marevelous called, but just as we started to move, the monster formed into a lotus again, and unless we stopped time, there was no way we could move to block it’s attack. If the empire building falls… then there goes a quarter of the city with it. “Shit, move quicker y’all! BK, after Ah get the charged spear, throw yours at the closest side ta me, and away from any tall structures!” The light started to build and that familiar whine like a camera flash started to sound off. Oh goddess, we’re not going to make it! What are we going to do if the empire building falls? It’ll be all our fault! We couldn’t do our jobs, and we’ll take all the blame… mother is going to have to pay for the reconstruction of the entire area, and the treasury doesn’t have the kind of money to restore half of Manehattan! Equestria will go into debt, and we’re in such a bad place with Zvyr as it is, they might just take advantage of us and start a war! What if-

Never mind, BK get ta me and gimme yer spear! Diamond, target us when Ah call fer it!” Marevelous ordered. Wait a minute, what is she doing now? The light was growing with every passing second, but Marevelous stood tall and kept going. I watched as a bright orange glow formed around her hoof and she just about shot her spear at the empire building. One spear stabbed into the wall, quickly followed by another. The Black Knight had her in his hooves now, then she called time.

“TOKI WO TOMARE!”

“ZA WARUDO!”

I blinked, and suddenly Ramiel fired his laser, but now Marevelous and her Knight were blocking the way. Him holding both shields in hoof, her with both spears, they took the massive beam of cyan light head on and weathered the blow. Even as the shields fried, even as I could see her suit start to burn at the edges, they never wavered for a second. She’s… just so amazing.I was ready to run away just a few moments ago, but she… she push forward and went so far as to protect the city with what could’ve been her life. How could I… How could I ever amount to somepony like that?

“Everypony, follow that thin’s aim. Ah’m gonna use the spears. Let’s see how it likes a taste of its own firepower!” She called to the rest of us. Ramiel returned to its diamond shape, but floated in place. I wonder if it has to recharge all that energy after it fires? Surely it doesn’t just have an infinite store, but… if that’s the case, where is it getting all of this power from? Marevelous leaped from her position with a single active spear in hoof, and just as she did, Ramiel started to move. The rest of us started to follow its ‘face’ side, then out of nowhere, Marevelous yelled something unintelligible and the spear fired.

Just like earlier, this laser was bright and hard to look at, but not nearly as big as the beams Ramiel has been firing. It hit what looked like an invisible sphere surrounding the monster for a fraction of a second, then punctured through to the crystalline body of the monster. With the odd hole made of what I could only describe as a heat blur ‘popped’ the monster’s body deformed with it, but only for a moment. The laser pierced through Ramiel’s body, but only until it started to spin. The cyan vortex turned lime green until the laser finished, then it reverted back to it’s original shape as pale green lightning shot off in branches away from the main body.

What just happened? Did it work? Did we get it? No… it’s… it’s almost as if Ramiel just dispersed all that energy. But why? If it can take the energy and push it away, can’t it just absorb it? Maybe it’s like a battery, and can only take so much energy in at once? Or… is it the wrong kind of energy? Ramiel turned it’s face directly at Marevelous, then opened up into that dreadful flower.

“What are you doing!? Get out of the way!” The Black Knight yelled. He was still holding a spear, so he kind of wavered in and out of existence for a second, then leaped his way over to Marevelous. He was about to drop the spear after putting a hoof on her, but then she knocked him away.

“Stop we need this! Diamond, Harmony!

TOKI WO TOMARE!”

“ZA WARUDO!”

“Phalanx formation, center around me! Active spears ta me, shields up and get ready ta feel the heat!” I nearly hesitated, almost stunned by whatever she just came up with, but she knows this is all we’ll get if it doesn’t work, so I can only hope it does. Moved quickly with everypony else to gather around Marevelous with all our shields centered around her, then she took both active spears in each hoof and stomped her hooves into the ground. Oh goddess, does she really plan on-

“Release!” I flinched as the bright light suddenly started to move closer to us when Marevelous triggered both spears. The heat coming from them was so intense that I thought I was going to faint, but Marevelous has those things touching her forelegs. I could see burn marks starting to form on her suit, then the spears started to eat away the material like a page in a flame. How!? How does she do it? How does she endure through all of this? I lost concentration when blinding light and the force of an explosion washed over us. I managed to keep standing through it all, but once it was done, I looked up and Ramiel was nowhere to be found. What happened? Where did it go? There’s no way that an explosion like that was enough to kill it, right?

“Holy shit, what did you do to yourself!?” The Black Knight said as he appeared at Marevelous’ side. It looked like Marevelous had suffered burns all over her hooves and forelegs, save for where her bracers were on, but even those looked to be singed all around, and hardly any of her coat was still intact. The leg is still attached thankfully, so at least we know Scootaloo can fix it… provided we make it out of this that is.

“Too much. Where is Ramiel? Is it dead? He’s not in the sky anymore.” Marevelous asked.

“I don’t know, but we should probably search for it. You need to get back to Scootaloo to have your hooves fixed again. Good goddess, at least they’re still attached. Can you feel anything? The skin is so badly burned here that it’s starting to bubble up in blisters...” BK said. Marevelous shook her head.

“That’s not important right now. If that thin’ isn’t dead then we still have work ta do.” And she still keeps on. Everything about her seems so foreign and far off to me. What drives her? Is her devotion to the city so strong that nothing can break her? Does she fight for her family? Does she fight for us? Does she fight for him? How can she be so… incredible?

“Somepony get up and scout around ta see if ya find Ramiel or mirror shards. Persona hasn’t shown up yet, so Ah’ve got a bad feelin’ about this.” Marevelous spoke to all of us through the link. Diamond had just about started laying on me, so I helped her off her hooves and to the ground. She looked like she was in so much pain too, yet she doesn’t say a word. Even you work so hard for this. You all work and keep trying when I just…

“I’m comin’ up blank over here.” The Crow said.

“M-me too.” Target added. I don’t like this. We’re missing something… where would Ramiel have gone? he’s huge, it’s not like he could have hidden somewhere, right? And on top of that, its bright blue! Even if it did retreat into the city to recoup, our pegasi should be able to spot him immediately, so where…

Well, shit. Keep yer eyes peeled, all of ya, and stay within a few seconds of the group. We don’t know if it has specific motives yet, or what kind of intelligence it has, and if it shows up again, we need ta be ready ta intercept fire.” Marevelous ordered. Diamond started to struggle to stand, so I helped prop her up with my wing and get her to the center of our formation.

“Do ya think ya can tough it out if we need another second, or are ya done?” Marevelous asked. Diamond started rubbing at her temples, and her horn flickered off small gray sparks as she nodded.

“I... in the event of an emergency, I could likely freeze time for five seconds with one pony at the most. I certainly couldn’t do everypony again but... what about you? Your hooves look awful, are you sure you can do anything like this?” She replied. Marevelous huffed.

“Ah’ll use my teeth if Ah have ta, we’re not done yet, and there’s no way in hell Ah’m havin’ Scootaloo come out if this thin’ is still around.” She said. But is that a good decision? If you’re not okay, then how do we win this fight? Of course we’ll have to protect Scootaloo, but isn’t that worth having you in your best shape? Just then, that familiar whine echoed through the city from above. We all looked up, and sure enough, there was a small, but growing white light forming at the center of a very small piece of reflective material. Oh no.

“Form up now!” Marevelous shouted, and just like that, everypony raced back to us. How did it do that? We didn’t know it could fly that high! That’s what I was missing, it’s clear and cyan, of course a blue sky is going to be it’s best cover, how did I not think of that!? Damn it! Everypony had formed a tight dome with shields in various states of fried and spears poking out all around the center, but the monster still hadn’t fired at us. What’s taking so long? I looked up and was confused. Why are there two suns in the sky? Both of them were so bright that I couldn’t look directly at either, then I noticed one of them grow. Oh goddess. It wasn’t even using it’s maximum fire power before. The thunder like camera flash sounded off through the air and once again, I had to look away from the light. As soon as I turned my head, we felt the pressure of the massive laser, bigger than our formation in diameter, but not hitting around us thanks to the spears drawing in the magic. It was like trying to lift a block of solid steel that was being beaten with a hammer on top of your back. I thought my legs were going to give out, but thankfully, the pressure ended and the laser was done.

“Damn it!” Marevelous shouted as she spat the spear she was holding out of her mouth. Oh goddess, her tongue is steaming! She actually held the spear in her teeth, just what in the world? Another camera whine started to sound off above us, and once I looked up, my worst fear had been realized. All the shields were done for. The only thing left to protect us are the active spears. What do we do now?

“BK, plant the spears in the buildin’, and everypony who isn’t a unicorn line up by a spear! If we don’t fire before this thin’ does, we ain’t got a shot at killin’ it!” Marevelous called Diamond and I gathered by Marevelous, and everypony else took a position by a spear as the Black Knight planted them as directed. Once he was finished, we’d assembled an array of God Slayers, all primed to shoot back at Ramiel. If this doesn’t work, then there really is no hope after all…

“Twilight, listen to me! You haven’t lost until you give up! You will not lose as long as you remain standing and keep working toward your goal. It isn’t over until it’s over, understand me? Under no circumstances are you allowed to give up! I didn’t die for you just so I could be here to watch you die, damn it!” Sombra screamed in my ears.

Damn it, I’m not you, I’m not her, and I’m not Mother! I don’t get where you all find this will power within yourselves, I don’t understand how you can keep pushing when you can’t take anymore, it just doesn’t make sense to me! What is worth dying for? How do you find the reason to live just to die in somepony else’s place? I just don’t get it! How do you not get scared? Why don’t you run away? Where does the courage that seems endless within you all well up from? I just don’t understand! I closed my eyes and covered my head as Marevelous spoke the incantation. Within the dark void of my own head, my father stood there before me, back on the sun where we first met.

“What happened? Am I dead? Did we fail?” I asked him. He shook his head.

“No. But if you don’t get up, you will. Twilight, you’re the only one who can save them and defeat this monster.” He said. It nearly knocked my off my hooves, and I staggered back.

“Wha- me? B-but I… I don’t have the power! I can’t deal with that kind of magic, mother’s crazy spears couldn’t even handle that! How am I supposed to-” He appeared in front of me in a cloud of black smoke and brought a dark gray hoof to my lips.

“Shhh. Look at me.” He said as he put his hooves on my shoulders. He stared me down with those big green eyes of his, and I was lost in that gaze. “You have more power than you know. You are capable of more than you could ever imagine. But to access that power, to grow into that potential, you must trust in yourself, and you must understand something very simple that all your friends have seemed to learn ahead of you. Twilight, why is it that your friend was willing to go so far? After being burned to the point of barely being able to use her hooves, after burning her tongue in an effort to protect you all, after jumping in the line of fire and taking the brunt of this monster’s attack again and again, how does she do it?” He asked.

“I… I don’t know! I never understood how or why, she… she has something that I don’t! Something I just don’t understand, something that makes her catch Mother’s eye that… I just don’t have.” I exclaimed. He shook his head.

“Allow me to give you a hint. Watch this very closely. In the real world, you were quick enough to put a barrier around yourself before the God Slayers and Ramiel’s lasers collided, and you are the only one left standing after the backlash of the blast.” In a sort of hazy view of my own vision, I turned to Marevelous and I just watched what played out. There she was, beaten and bloodied, burned and bruised, lying on the ground just barely breathing. It didn’t look like she had much strength left at all, but all the same, she crawled over to the Black Knight, over to Goose, and did something I didn’t think she was capable of.

“Ah love you.” She whispered. The vision fell away to the black void above the sun and my father turned back to me.

“Now then, do you understand?” He asked. I let my back legs collapse into the bouncy sun’s surface and took a moment to process what just happened.

“She loves him? Since when… how long…? She… she’s been fighting for him this whole time?” I asked. Sombra shook his head.

“She has been fighting for him, for you, for your mother, for her family, for the rest of your friends, for the ponies in this city, for the ponies in her life. But there is one pony she hasn’t been fighting for, and do you know who that is?” He asked. And then, like a sledgehammer to the horn, it dawned on me.

“Herself.” I said. Father’s lips pulled back to reveal a toothy grin.

“Exactly! This mare, this friend of yours, this protégé of your mother’s, has never once fought for herself! She has been fighting all this time for those in her life in hopes of making their lives better, not hers. He fights for her. The pegasi fight for each other, the unicorn fights for you, the earth pony fights for all of you! But you! My very own daughter, never took the time to think of why you fight. And because of this, you lose your grit, you can’t work up the will to keep going, and when confronted by somepony who has a clear goal, a clear reason, you become confused and frustrated, even jealous, because you don’t have one. Now then. Twilight Sparkle, daughter of Celestia, Princess of Equestria, and Sombra, King of Lystacr, why is it that you fight?” He asked. I took a deep breath and started to stand.

“Why…? I fight… I fight because I want to change this place. I fight because I want to make a better world. I fight so my mother doesn’t have to. I fight… because I want to keep my friends safe!”

“Yes! This is what you needed! This is what I wanted to hear! Open your eyes, and be prepared to protect the things you love with your very being!” Sombra shouted excitedly. As I did, it felt like everything had slowed down, and I was moving faster than I ever had before. Above me was a growing, violently bright light surrounded by rings in a reverse tower of hanoi pointed directly at my position. My friends were all on the ground in terrible shape, but Marevelous was smiling, like she’d already come to terms with it all. No… I won’t let you die like this! You’ve had so much taken away from you, I will not let your story end in tragedy!

“That’s exactly right! Now repeat these words after me, and engrave this circle into your mind! Your father, your grandfather, his father before him and all his fathers before him used this spell to protect that which needed it most and now it is your turn to do the same as the last heir to the Lystacr line!”

“By the heart of my soul, you I will defend! Should the moon fall from the heavens and the sun forever leave the sky, this day shall not be your twilight!

AEGIS!”

Once the final word was spoken, I felt a click go off deep within me. My whole body seemed to disappear and I’d lost all feeling. My vision started to blur, and once it came back, I was standing outside myself like an astral projection. My eyes had lit up with a bright white light and my whole body was glowing in the colors of my coat mane and tail. My wings had extended to their full length and my horn was emitting more magic than I had ever seen in one place before. All around us was a shield of ethereal light with my cutiemark emblazoned over it’s center. It stood firm as Ramiel’s laser made contact with it, but even so, the beam did nothing to damage it. Magic shot off in every which direction from the epicenter of where the blast came in contact with Aegis, and all the while, I couldn’t help but think that this scene looked just like the sun I’d met father on. It was truly beautiful, the cyan and white lights streaming off like flares and glittering into the daylight sky, the energy of magic just bright enough to be visible, but soft enough to be pleasing to look at.

Once the laser had finished, I was quickly pulled back into my body and the shield dissipated all in one fell swoop. I suddenly felt so much pain all at once that I thought I was going to vomit. Every nerve, every fiber of my being was alight with magic and it was like being set on fire and stabbed with needles in every pore of my skin. AHHH! IT HURTS, IT HURTS!

“Then let it all go. Take this feeling, this immeasurable pain and release it into the sky.” He said.

“Just… let… GO!” I managed to repeat before it all came bursting forth from my horn. It was like a torrent that started to pour out of me, the very air shook and all of that magic was released into the sky above me, directly at Ramiel. At this point, I think my ears had gone numb, but I was sure that I was screaming. The intense heat and pressure on my skull felt like knives were being jammed into my brain, but I couldn’t do anything to stop it. The magic seemed endless, and it all just kept pouring out. I couldn’t move, I could barely feel, and everything was pain. It felt like time had slowed down, until finally it felt like my head was about to explode.

And then, it did. In a bright white burst of magic, my horn which had already been cracked from using aegis, shattered into shards that shot off my head in a smoke. I wasn’t sure if I was screaming before, but now I was, and I could hear it. It hurt. Everything hurt. I started to vomit, and I could feel myself crying, but I knew that it wasn’t tears that were streaming out of my eyes. The pain had finally become too much to stand, and then everything went dark.


Applejack


“Wha…?” Ah looked around, but somethin’ was off. The spears were all twisted or melted, but still in the roof. Everythin’ was kinda singed or melted, but… still there. Ah tried ta get up, but then Ah felt all the bruises and burns all over my forelegs and regretted that. Now wait just a damn minute. Ah’m not dead. What the hell happened? Ah rolled onta my back and then kicked up with my hind legs to a standin’ position ta survey just what in the hell was goin’ on.

Everypony was down. Most of our costumes had burn damage, we singed, or straight up melted off in places, and everypony was burned somewhere. Of all of us though, Twilight was in the worst shape. Ah don’t know when or how it happened, but her whole damn horn was in pieces, and it looked like she’d burned off some of her own mane. Holy goddess, what in the world happened ta you? Thankfully she was still breathin’, but there was blood runnin’ down her cheeks from her eyes, and that helmet she wears was melted straight off her head.

“Amazing. Absolutely astounding. For the longest time, I thought your winged unicorn was merely a slot to be filled on your team, but from that display, she surely has a purpose. Has the Centurion always been your fail safe? I’m simply dying to know.” A familiar voice said. Ah turned ta my left where the only undamaged screen and or window in a mile radius still stood and Persona’s mask occupied. If he’s here, than that must mean… Ah took a deep breath and made a decision.

“Nopony on my team has no purpose. Yer monster is dead, Persona!” Ah said back ta him. The mask smiled and frowned a little bit more and shrugged on invisible shoulders.

“A shame, truly. But when faced with a power that could rival that of the Radiant Sun, I doubt any creature on this planet could survive. Congratulations, heroes! Or should I say heroine? Since you seem the be the only one standing. Either way, you outlasted Ramiel, and I simply couldn’t believe my eyes when you did. Allow me to let you in on something interesting… did you know, that when you, Marevelous Red, fired that spear into Ramiel the first time, that you had already won?” Persona asked. Ah narrowed my eyes at him.

“What?” Ah responded.

“Yes! Ramiel’s mirror was damaged when you shot him! It had already begun to crack at that moment, and he had merely minutes to remain alive! And so, with every fiber of his being he tried his hardest to destroy you. Even I, his master, his maker, did not know he could take to the sky to amass so much power. He tried with everything he had to kill you in his final moments, and you still yet succeeded. If I were to say what is most dangerous about you, it would not be your speed or strength, but that amazing judgment and quick thinking is what makes you simply Marevelous. Truly a perfect recreation of the first hero. But alas, it seems as if I’m running out of time to talk, so your question. Quickly, if you will.” Persona said. It was already done for? We… we woulda won if we’d just retreated and played keep away? Damn it! No… Ah can think about that later, my friends look like most of ‘em are about half way dead and they need ta get ta Scootaloo quick. Why… Why did this all have ta happen?

“Alright, fine. Why? Why do ya do it? Why parade around as a villain lookin’ fer this Original of yers without a care in the world? How is this thin’ worth so much more than the lives y’all ruin in the process?” Ah asked.

“Ha… ha ha ha! That was more than one question, but sure, why not!? When you step on an ant, do you stop to think or care about it? Of course you don’t, it’s simply a bug in your path! Nopony in the world is worth more to me than the Original is, and if you think I wouldn’t slaughter a city full of ponies to find it, then you would be wrong! As a matter of fact, I had hoped nopony would take my initial warning seriously just to see what she would do in the face of all that death! It would have been hilarious, just to think about how she would grieve, knowing that everything up until now was her fault! However, playing this game with you has been much, much more fun than that. You surprise me at every turn, you accomplish what I perceive to be impossible, and you surpass every single expectation I have for you! You are the hero I have long awaited to see. You are the hero I wished she was back then, and you… have never failed me. Why do I do it? She is watching, and she can answer you that, my dear Marevelous Red.

This game is beginning to make me weary, and my time it seems… is running out. My strongest hope has been defeated, so now… I only wish to see you all prevail over the last impossible walls I can set before you. Take the spot of my new hero and never fail me like the one before you did! Until we meet again, heroes!” Persona finished. The screen went dark, and with persona gone, Ah was left in silence. So… who is… she?”

PreviousChapters Next