• Published 26th May 2016
  • 2,649 Views, 263 Comments

Sometimes They Call Me Super - KorenCZ11



My name is Jaquline Apple, but most ponies call me Applejack. However, that isn't my only name. Every now and again, ponies know me as Marevelous Red. Sometimes they call me Super, other times they call me a Hero.

  • ...
17
 263
 2,649

PreviousChapters Next
Kaiju II - Israfel - The Gemini (part 2)

“Thank you, our lord, Persona, but first, we believe introductions are in order!” Out from the Empire’s rooftop door walked a pegasus mare who was just about split down the middle fer her red and blue coat colors. Even had heterochromia ta boot, however each eye was the other side’s color. “As you all, and the audience watching know, we are Israfel, the second Kaiju. However, we and the audience only know a hoofful of your names. For the benefit of the city you protect, please, tell us who defends it!” she said with a tone almost as grandiose as the mask itself.

“What are we waiting for!? We should attack while we have the chance!” Centurio just about screamed in everypony’s mind.

“Don’t be an idiot. Do you even realize how that would make us look? We’re supposed to be the honorable heroes here. If we just go now, the whole city would call us cowards. That’s over a million and a half ponies alone. That aside, the whole country is probably watching us,” Goose replied before Ah had the chance.

“But…! The destruction!” Centurio tried ta argue back.

“I-I think he has a p-point here. L-legally, if they don’t make the first move, I-it’s an unprovoked attack on a c-citizen by military p-personnel. We would b-be in the wrong here.” Target added. Ah had ta know.

“Why do ya know that?” Ah asked fer everypony.

“I-I wanted to know how l-long I would be in for i-if I ever confessed a w-while back. L-let’s just say I w-wont be doing that.” Ah knew that the beast killed a lot, but what all else did she do? Ya know what that’s not important right now.

“Well, Ah guess ya can live out that fantasy of yers Goose. Pick a name and do it quick. Ya have until everypony else finishes before Ah go. Ah don’t care who goes first, but Ah’m goin’ last.” Of course, the first to introduce herself was Blur.

“I am Blur, the Speed hero!” she shouted proudly as she stood on the far edge of the rooftop.

“We have seen! Not a pony is quicker than she who moves faster than the eye,” Israfel noted. she speaks with such a strange enthusiasm.

“I am Diamond,” Rarity stated from her corner of the roof. Quietly, but not soft spoken. Confident, if nothin’ else. Israfel bowed.

“Ah yes, you’re one of the two known heroes in your little troupe. Yet somehow, your powers are unknown to everypony. A wild card to keep in mind. We welcome the challenge.”

“I am Target Lock.” Fluttershy… or the other Fluttershy said. No stutter like normal either. If ya didn’t know what Ah do, ya’d think she was usin’ a voice modulator.

“Ooh, scary. For the colorful bunch you are, there’s certainly a lot of dark colors here. We suppose some ponies try to stand out more than others,” Israfel said, almost in a condescendin’ tone. Is she… referrin’ ta herself with ‘we?’

“I-I am… Centurio Reginae!” Twilight stuttered from beside Target.

“Oh, for the love of- Of all the times you had to stutter...” Celestia’s voice echoed through our minds.

“Oh goddess, why are you listening in! Did you do this last week too!?” Twilight called back in the apparently ‘public’ private conversation.

“Of course I was. How could I not? You know what, forget it. I won’t say anything else.” Then the link felt very weak. If she didn’t say anythin’, Ah doubt any of us would’ve noticed it ta begin with. Huh. Ah guess that explains a few thin’s.

“Well, now what do we have here? If a Queen you call yourself, you certainly look the part! What an interesting mutation… We can only wonder if you were born with both wings and a horn. It all looks so… natural,” Israfel said.

“I swear to the Goddess, Sister, if anypony presses on the right connection!” Luna echoed from far away.

“Oh, you worry too much. Now be quiet, they might hear you,” Celestia replied, also as if she were very far away.

“Not might, can. We can hear you, thanks,” Centurio stated in a tone that sounded sarcastic, but bordered defeated. If the link ta the other two royals was still there, nopony could tell anymore.

“Ya figure anythin’ out?” Ah asked Goose.

“You know, I think I’ll go with the name Soapy came up with.” Goose stepped forward and announced ta everypony who he was in the suit. “They call me the Black Knight!” he shouted, just as proud as Blur did.

“If that is what you call yourself then so be it. He who appears in one place, and then suddenly another, yet at the same time, carries strength to rival the heroine herself. The warping Black Knight, possibly a fellow success? Wonderful.” The dichromatic pony smiled a wicked smile at Goose and Ah shuddered. She sure knows a hell of a lot. and if she doesn't, she's been makin' awful good guesses.

“I-I don’t like w-where this is going…” Fluttershy whimpered.

“You and me both. Ah’ve got a suspicion Ah’m gonna test out.” Ah stepped forward and flexed a little. Doesn’t hurt ta try and intimidate.

“Ah am Marevelous Red, the leader of Harmony. Ya haven’t said much, but somethin’s been botherin’ me. Ya’ve been usin’ ‘we’ ta refer ta yerself. How many ponies am Ah lookin’ at?” Ah asked. Israfel started ta raise her snout ta me as a smile Ah’ve seen too many times formed on her face.

“Ah yes, she is no less clever than we have heard! The ever impressive Marevelous Red truly stands above her peers now doesn’t she? The bell has tolled and our opponents introduced! Let us begin! Ha ha ha ha!” Israfel charged me, laughin’ like a mad mare and Ah prepared fer whatever she was gonna do. Except, Ah wasn’t prepared fer her ta run straight past me. Ignored me and everypony else completely, she jumped off the buildin’.

“Follow her, but whatever ya do, get away from here!” Ah jumped after her and she turned ta face me as we fell.

“So valiant, so wonderful, so marvelous! A hero like you is likely the only one within a generation! For your noble soul, we will show you everything we are!” Israfel said, like fallin’ was the least of her worries. She raised a foreleg in front of her mouth and then chomped down on it, drawin’ blood. Much like before, an orange colored lightnin’ lit the sky and shot down ta Israfel. Her form began ta expand instantly, growin’ out as a dark red and blue ooze. Suddenly the Empire buildin’ wasn’t the widest thin’ around. Cracklin’ and poppin’, the sound of screamin’ and shreikin’ air reverberated through the city. The transformation finished and Israfel reached the ground much faster than anypony anticipated.

“Surround her! She’s not as big as the last one! If ya spot the mirror let everypony know, otherwise look fer weak points! Don’t get hit, and don’t need Diamond if ya can avoid it! Move!” Ah shot at the empire buildin’ behind me and stopped myself just at the forty story mark. About ten below that was the top of Israfel. She stood above most of the buildin’s around, but not as tall as Sachiel did. Her frame was strangely round at the top, almost like a perfect dome, but over all she was shaped similarly to Sachiel, bein’ a biped with two claws. Her face was much like the last one’s mask, save this one was in her colors of red and blue in two solid blocks. She had bony lookin’ parts on her chest, and each arm and both legs looked ta be armored with it. As Ah looked her over, Ah noticed a bright silver spot in about the center of her chest.

“Ah think Ah see the mirror! Right on her chest, dead center! Ah’m goin’ after it!” The monster looked up at me and its mask twisted around so that the colors switched sides. It straightened both arms and splayed its blade like claws.

“YeS, tHaT iS rIgHt! ThIs Is WhAt YoU sEeK!” The monster said as Ah was just about ta jump. My hooves left the wall and then Goose called out.

“No, wait! She’s doing this on purpose!” When my hoof collided with the mirror, it didn’t break, but let out a sickenin’ tone. Like the sound of six different bells all a half step from each other, it rang out and reverberated through the city even louder than the transformation. The volume seemed ta only increase with every half second that passed. Ah flattened my ears against my head and made a jump fer the empire buildin’. Ah felt a liquid start ta run down my left ear and then a thought crossed my mind too late. The windows all along the Empire buildin’ shattered, and a hail of glass fell straight on my head. Or, it would have, if the Black Knight didn’t shield me with his back.

“I could’ve swore we had an argument about this like, yesterday,” he said after the glass finished fallin’ and the tone died down.

“And Ah thought Ah could’ve ended this already if that was all it took.” A sharp pain started ta throb inside my ear. “Damn it! Goddess, Ah think that busted one of my ear drums!” A new tone, one that was much clearer and more pleasant started ta ring from the monster, takin’ our attention back ta it. The chord rang out, slowly gettin’ louder and shakin’ everythin’ in the area like an earthquake. Israfel’s two tone mask began ta shift and spin in place until finally, each mask had separated. The monster started ta split down the middle, the chord slowly losin’ notes as the monster cut itself in half. When all that remained were two perfect tones an octave apart from each other, and the creature’s two halves split perfectly down the middle, the halves of each monster shrank and began ta refill what was lost. The violet monster from before had become two smaller copies of itself, one red, one blue.

“I don’t even think I really even need to say that that was a huuuge fuck up on your part.” Ah scowled at him.

“And ya said it anyways. Ah don’t know how ya can hear anythin’ after that.” He shrugged.

“Some of us wear more than a skin tight suit for protection. Oh shit.” We noticed quick enough ta avoid the two incomin’ fists of either Israfel as she shot from her spots on the ground. The empire buildin’ was gouged out a side wall on a few floors, but thankfully still standin’ after they fell back ta earth.

“Target, Centurio, grab their attention, we need some cover over here!” BK and Ah looked at each other and jumped separate ways when the twin kaiju came after us. This time, they took out a whole corner of an apartment complex each. Then, the two Israfels seemed to stare past each other and leap after us. They jumped inta the air, shatterin’ the road underneath ‘em, aimed right fer us. Ah saw BK look my direction and knew exactly what he was about ta do. That bastard is gonna pull this shit again!

“FIRE!” Ah commanded, and just as quick, a big incendiary shot the blue one and a magic explosion of violet lightnin’ sparked in front of the red one, knockin’ both Israfels off course. BK and Ah landed without gettin’ hit, and the two Israfels slumped over a buildin’ each almost like a limp piece of paper. Now that Ah could see em from the side, they were real thin, wedge shaped thin’s. There was silence fer a moment, and it looked like we had a chance ta think.

“We need a new plan fast. Anypony see the mirror?” Ah asked.

“I-I’m pretty sure I shot it,” Target said.

“Same here. I’m fairly sure it didn’t move based on its original location. Ugh, this is just like one of the ones that gave us the most trouble when we trained with mother,” Centurio added.

“Ah’ll say, but at least we’ve got some kind of experience with multiple targets like this. Blur, Diamond, we need ya on the front line again. We’re gonna need ta be in sync if we hope ta get anywhere with this.” The creature groaned, takin’ back our attention. We turned ta see the Israfels become almost liquid clear on the inside and watched as the masks and mirrors moved through her internals to face us. As if a shockwave ran through them, the two creatures moved like wavin’ paper ta stand up straight. The rest of the body faded through the center and moved until the whole of each monster was facin’ us again’ as if she’d turned around. Ah noticed both of the mirrors now, just as shiny and reflective in an odd ‘more-than-it-should’ way as they were before, but with cracks all along the edges. Well, at least fer a second. The two masks spun, the single eye in each circlin’ around in a violet hue. As they did, the cracks in the mirror slowly faded away until the masks stopped, lookin’ like nothin’ ever happened.

“Oh goddess damn it, they’re regenerators too,” BK said.

“Y’all remember what we did last time this happened! Execute the same plan, and it should work! Chances are high it’s all or nothin’ with these two, so we’ll need everythin’ we got fer this!” The sound of crashin’ heavy foot falls interrupted my orders as the monster was quick ta charge again.

“Scatter!” Her intent was clear, and she was after the two ranged units. An unfortunate part of the job of the tank is that sometimes ya gotta take hits fer the squishies. This is one of those times.

“Y’all ain’t movin’ fast enough, damn it!” BK and Ah jumped from our respective spots with likely the same force, considerin’ the new depressions in those rooftops, and we raised our shoulders ready ta take a punch from the clawed fist of each Israfel. The impact felt just as heavy as it looked and every muscle in my body was a tense as it could get before the forces at play caught up ta me and Ah shot through the air. Like a cannon ball, BK and Ah hit the ground, tearin’ craters in blacktop and concrete enough ta rival a sink hole in the outskirts of Manehattan. We were quick ta get back up, just as Israfel was ta stop her movement and reorient herself ta go after Target and Centurio.

“Centurio, make a wall! She’s not as strong as Ah am, use one of my heavy punches as a reference and do it fast! Time ta think is limited here! BK, prepare ta grab Target and back the hell off! Blur, try ta grab one of their attention! It looks like her mirror is the same as the last one, so use the acid! Diamond, get ready. If Ah call, freeze everypony but Centurio! Nopony else needs ta be in range ta get hit! Move!” Ah barely managed ta finish the thought before the twin Israfels got goin’ again, each after the same targets relentlessly. Ah followed the red one and shot a cable in its side ta pull myself toward it. Just as Ah started ta reel in, the creature spun itself around like a battle top in mid air, dislodgin’ my cable and sendin’ me the opposite direction. The blue one had just about made it ta Target, and the red one wasn’t slowed much by my attempt ta do just that. Son of a bitch! A lined up another shot and called time.

“TOKI WO TOMARE!”

“ZA WARUDO!”

Ah blinked and my shot connected ta the red monster as it crashed inta a big, opaque, mirror-like violet crystal wall that Diamond and Centurio were huddled behind. The barrier held and Ah reeled in with Trump Card ready ta blow. Just as Ah came close, the Monster’s face started ta travel through her innards. Ah let loose my punch and ripped out my hook, sendin’ a shockwave through the creature and splatterin’ red ooze all over Centurio’s barrier. Her body had protected the mirror enough that it was untouched when Ah arrived, but Ah wasn’t done yet. As soon as the first punch landed, Ah shot that hoof’s cable at the mirror itself and pulled in further fer a second full power blast ta the mirror. The punch landed and a sharp pain shot though my left foreleg.

It was almost like everythin’ had slowed down. Cracks started ta shoot out in waves from the mirror’s center until finally, shards of mirror shot back inta Twilight’s barrier. A couple pieces made it inta the thick violet dome and got stuck there, while one made it through and shot just inches of slicin’ Diamond’s neck open. The creature’s mask spun rapidly as a tri-tone blasted through Manehattan. Ah bounced off Centurio’s barrier and covered my ears as hard as Ah could while the entire world seemed ta be bathed in the loudest horrible sound Ah’ve ever heard in my life. From where it lay, red Israfel melted like wax on the rooftop and down the buildin’ they were standin’ on. The sound died down, and everythin’ was still.

Blue Israfel stopped dead in her tracks ta turn and stare our direction, stoppin’ it’s pursuit of BK and Target, completely ignorin’ the two gashes it had in its own mirror from Blur’s attacks. All sound was lost ta me as the warm liquid and throbbin’ pain in my ear became more intense. Ah watched on deaf as the blue Israfel seemed ta ignore the fact that its red twin just melted and continued after its pursuit of Target. Ah flapped the ear Ah assumed was still good until sound started ta return ta me, and as it did, the voices of my team filled my head.

“What the hell was that!?”

“Oh goddess, what a horrid sound! Is everypony alright?”

“She’s completely ignoring her dead half and still going after us, what the hell is this!?”

“S-She keeps shifting her m-mirror as she moves, I-I can’t get a good shot off!”

“It seems as if I need to reconstruct my barrier so it can handle high velocity projectiles as well...”

“Will ya’ll shut up fer a second and let me think!? Goddess damn it! Centurio, Ah need ya ta come fix my ear!” The voices stopped comin’ in all at once, and just as they left, all the pains and aches flooded my brain. Ah pulled my throbbin left hoof away from my ear and noticed that my suit was the wrong color there now. Goddess damn it, it probably is broken! Ah pulled some of the pain killer syrum that Ah’d packed fer today and applied it ta my left foreleg while Ah waited fer Centurio and watched the fight with blue Israfel continue. Blur had improved significantly in the last couple of days and she was almost artfully dodgin’ Israfel's swattin’ at her, but she wasn’t hardly doin’ any damage and was mostly bein’ ignored. BK and Target on the other hoof were constantly warpin’ together as she would take pot shots at Israfel’s mirror with each landin’. Israfel was relentless, barely givin’ BK a chance ta breathe with each warp he made, leavin’ claw marks in every thin’ he landed on, roofs and walls destroyed seconds after he disappeared from those very spots.

“Oh my goddess, what happened to your ear?” Ah heard Centurio say from far away. Ah turned toward the sound and saw that she was maybe an inch away from my left ear, makin’ me realize how bad off Ah really was.

“Busted, probably. Ah was too close every time she let out one of those crazy tones and this is what Ah paid fer it. Can ya fix it?” Her horn lit up and she looked like she was concentratin’ real hard. That didn’t bode well. My ear felt warm again, but the pain started ta ease away, lettin’ my body relax a bit.

“Ah, thanks Cent.” She shook her head with a frown on her face.

“I didn’t fix anything. All I can do is stop the bleeding for now. I numbed the nerves too, but there’s some serious damage there. You’ll definitely have to go to the hospital to get this repaired, and even then, I doubt you’ll ever be able to hear as well as you used to ever again.” Ah grimaced. Oh, well isn’t that just fantastic. Another fuckin’ problem fer me ta deal with. A half a tail, and now Ah’m gonna end up down an ear fer the rest of my life. Prefect.

“Whatever, that’s not important right now. Ah need ya ta try and fix whatever amount of my left foreleg ya can as fast as ya can. They need me over there.” Centurio’s magic went ta work, but her face didn’t look any better this time. And then she just stopped all together, which was an even worse tell.

“I… I don’t… What did you do!? Your bones are in pieces, I couldn’t fix all this if I wanted to! Oh goddess, your right leg is hardly any better, it’s covered in fractures! Marevelous… you can’t fight anymore with injuries like this.”

“W-what? Ya gotta be kiddin’ me! There’s no way Ah-” A voice in my head interrupted me.

“Twilight, send her to the castle and I will do what I can. I’m sorry Applejack, but she’s right. Based on those scans, you’ll be lucky to walk on that left leg again, much less continue fighting with it. I warned you of the dangers of Trump Card. This is what happens. Sure, you’re harder to break, but not unbreakable. Luna, keep watch over them. If they lose another fighter, you’ll have to step in." Celestia sighed over the link. "I suppose losing a column of structures is worth keeping our front line alive. Ugh, just thinking of the billions we’ll have to spend on repairs makes me nauseous.” Before Ah could do anythin’, before Ah could even object, Ah was covered in bright violet light, and the world around me was replaced with blue-violet crystal walls.

“No, no, no! They need me, Ah can’t be outta the fight!” Ah yelled ta nopony. The castle echoed my words until everythin’ fell silent. A bright golden light that felt warm like the sun’s rays flickered behind me, and then Celestia stood in its place. “Princess, ya have ta send me back! They still need my help!” Ah begged.

“Absolutely not,” she stared firmly. A large golden screen appeared behind us and showed a picture of a leg. Or, most of one really. It looked like there were little white bits sprinkled everywhere, like maybe they used ta be a recognizable shape at one point, but now, it could probably pass fer wood pulp or finely broken glass. “This is your left foreleg right now, and I don’t think I can fix it. We’re going to have to find a specialist before you can use it again, and there’s little chance it’ll be repaired enough for you to walk with before next Sunday, let alone in the next few minutes. I’m going to do what I can and repair the fractures on your right, but you cannot break yourself like this again. Hence forth, I forbid the use of Trump Card during a fight, and you are to remain off duty until your leg is repaired. Understood?”

“But…! Ya can’t… Ah…” The sudden realization that Ah hadn’t felt anythin’ from my right leg at all hit me. If Ah’d kept goin'… both my legs would look like that…

“It’s a good thing you had those bracers reinforced, otherwise, you likely wouldn’t have made it as far as you did. Your right is least damaged where it was tight on you. I doubt your left would have even retained your wrist were you not wearing it. I don’t have to say this very often, but you’re going to have to leave this one to your underlings.” Celestia paused and stood straight up, a look of confusion took hold of her face. “What!?”

The screen changed from my mashed up bones ta the fight that was goin’ on. Diamond screamed as red liquid pooled around her and began ta form back inta Israfel. The mask formed itself again and the body reformed as it had been, the pieces of shattered mirror comin' from all around in a liquid form until finally the kaiju had returned ta life.

“No… this can’t be happenin’…” Dread settled in as Ah realized what the monster was about ta do. It was gonna kill Rarity. Crush her ta death, like a toy. Ah saw the gray glow try ta form around her, but it stopped just short as her face started ta turn blue under the mask.

“She’s gonna die! Somepony has ta save her! Why did ya send me away!? They needed me! She needs me!” No response. Celestia looked just as shocked as Ah did. A warm liquid of a different kind started ta fill my eyes. How could Ah let this happen? Ah’m their leader, Ah’m supposed ta keep them safe! And then, when it looked like all was lost, there was a flash of a rainbow that ran through the monster’s arm. The claw and Diamond fell ta the ground, the place where it had been was clean cut off.

“You know what they say! The real heroes show up just in the nick of time!” Sunlight shined blue off the black feathers of her cloak, her silver armor glistening in the noon day sky. The crimson liquid that covered her sword and flapped behind her back nearly glowin’ in the daylight, her single cyan wing bright and alive, almost blendin’ in with the sky. A hero had shown up ta save the day.

PreviousChapters Next