• Published 26th May 2016
  • 2,654 Views, 263 Comments

Sometimes They Call Me Super - KorenCZ11



My name is Jaquline Apple, but most ponies call me Applejack. However, that isn't my only name. Every now and again, ponies know me as Marevelous Red. Sometimes they call me Super, other times they call me a Hero.

  • ...
17
 263
 2,654

PreviousChapters Next
Persona III: Midsummer knight's dream (part 1)

Applejack


“Alright, so, I think I speak for everypony here when I ask, what is this new ‘trick’ of yours, huh?” Goose asked impatiently as Ah made it inta the trainin’ room. The four of ‘em were waitin’ on me, surprisin'ly, and Ah wasn’t even ready ta start yet.

“Look, it was hard enough ta learn this circle thin’ as it is, and Ah’m not sure Ah remember it exactly as it should be, so if y’all could just shut up fer a bit, that’d be great.” Ah took a piece of chalk from my bags and started on the spell circle. Ah haven’t taken any advanced magic chemistry classes yet, and this is an old outdated unicorn magic that was meant ta teach other races how magic works. In theory, provided the magic can be applied ta the matrix, this should allow anypony ta cast anythin’ they so desire. If the magic can be applied, that is. If Rarity can’t turn it on, then we have ta go down an even more experimental route, and Ah’d rather not try and use anythin’ that’s part of Luna’s hoof work. In about half an hour, Ah’d just about recreated the half remembered memory on the floor. And unicorns just have ta think about this image and push. Foals know magic like this and do it all without even tryin’. Now wouldn’t that be nice?

“Okay y’all, Ah’m just about done. Everypony needs ta stand at each of the pentagon points.” Finally lookin’ away from my work, Ah noticed a rather large amount of confusion from just about everypony.

“Uh… you mind explaining what this is? We’re not about to summon a demon or something… right?” Pinkie asked. Ah scratched at my head.

“As long as Ah didn’t get the circle wrong. Probably. So, this is what’s called a spell matrix. It’s more or less what unicorns use ta cast magic when they do, but some of ‘em are just born with all these patterns, while others have ta learn ‘em.” Rarity stepped forward, lookin’ over the circle. When even the unicorn looks confused, then there may be a problem.

“Well, yes, I can see that, but this isn’t some ordinary spell one would use on a daily basis. I wouldn’t know what this does just by looking at it, and I was trained to do that. And what's this inscription that runs along the edge? I’ve seen some of these characters before, but never used them. Do you expect me to cast this or something? Because I doubt I could, especially as complex as this is.” It was definitely some kinda mess of lines, that’s fer sure. When Celestia showed me this, she said it was more ancient than she was, which was sayin’ somethin’ since nopony knows how long she’s really been around. The language that runs along it was hers as a child, and even she hardly remembers how it sounds anymore.

“Uh… well, not exactly. Look, Ah can’t really explain it as well as she did, and since Twilight is out, we either do this, or Ah try and show y’all how Ah did what Ah did by doin’ it, and Ah don’t think that would be real fun fer anypony but me. Ah mean, Ah can beat y’all up if ya want, but...”

“N-no! I-I mean, um… n-no thank you. I-I think it was bad enough the first time, a-and we had Twilight with us then,” Fluttershy blurted out. Ah nodded.

“Well then, Ah think we have a consensus, so y’all quit pussyfootin’ around and let’s do this. Stand on the edge and once we’re all in place, Rarity feed yer magic along the lines of the circle. As long as ya can get the whole thin’ ta light up, then it should work.” With a look from everypony ta everypony else, they eventually joined me at points on the circle and Rarity began. Her horn lit up with her light blue aura and a beam of magic shot at the center of the circle. The glow began ta spread from line ta line, fillin’ the floor with pale blue sparks and trails of lightnin’. She looked tired, and just as it seemed she was gonna give out, the last character lit and the whole circle grew in intensity. Now that we were all connected, it was my turn ta fulfill the next part.

The venue needed ta be somewhere Ah could remember with the utmost clarity. Somewhere Ah was fond of, somewhere Ah was emotionally tied ta. Ah took hold of the memory Ah knew would work, and it all started ta flow out. The expandin’ darkness on the ethereal circle started ta sprout green on its edges, dotted with reds and yellows, and followed by lines of brown. The sound of rustlin’ leaves in the wind, a wind that carried the scent of home, the scent of mom in the air. The soft ground beneath my hooves, the springy grass that circled them. When my eyes opened, we were in the place of my childhood memories, Sweet apple acres in Palomino, Equestria. Before Ah could catch myself, Ah let out a sigh. Ah was told this might happen, but Ah truly wished it wouldn’t have. With all the focus Ah could manage, Ah took my attention away from her, and focused on the ponies in front of me.

“Did… did I do all that?” Rarity asked with wonder as she took in the scene. The other three were equally focused on the orchard that sprawled around them, and after Ah let my attention drift again, Ah pulled everyone back ta the original purpose of this exercise.

“Sort of. Like ya said, this isn’t magic that many ponies can accomplish on their own. But because there’s five of us, it's kinda like an electrical circuit, where the magic accesses everypony's innate magic and uses that ta produce the power needed ta keep the spell active. Even though you supplied the initial burst of energy, Ah'm the one who's in control of the spell because Ah have an idea on how it works. So, Ah’m essentially runnin’ a memory through everypony ta give us a space where Ah can teach y’all how this power works without bein’ limited by anythin’. In reality, we’re all just sittin’ on that circle asleep, but once we leave, yer body is gonna retain all the information Ah pass it.

The princess calls this the Sharin’ Spell, however, it’s tedious and heavily strains the caster in small group settin’s like ours, and quickly fell out of practice long ago. Supposedly it’s still used fer military trainin’ though, so this is perfect fer us. As long as we don’t spend too much time in here, Ah shouldn’t be quite dead tired by the time we’re done. That said, we outta get a move on.” My body began ta wander toward a clearin’ Ah knew was in the trees off ta the left and the rest followed me.

“So, not to pry or anything, but who was that other mare?” Goose asked. Ah shook my head.

“Don’t worry about her. She’s just part of the memory. As much as Ah’d like ta, my brain can’t filter out everythin’ about the place of this memory, so anypony who’s tied ta it has a chance ta show up every now and again. Try not ta interact with her if she shows up. The more my brain has ta simulate, the less time we’ll have ta work.” Now let’s just hope she doesn’t come interact with us...

“So, like… this place is your home right?” Pinkie asked. Ah nodded, but didn’t go any further. The more Ah think about it, the less inclined Ah am ta do what Ah’m here fer. Part of me just wants ta wander around and take it all in, and another part just wants ta see them together again…

“If y’all would, we really need ta get on with this. Princess Celestia could hold this for days at a time, but the five of us together won’t get more than a couple hours, okay? This shit ain’t easy ta learn either, so we need all the time we can get.” The four looked ta one another again, then nodded and turned their attention ta me. “So, ta begin, what Ah’m about ta have y’all do is somethin’ that most of ya have never tried before, and that is castin' magic.” As expected, Ah was immediately met with another look of confusion.

“What? I think you’re about the opposite of stupid, but you know that only one of us is a unicorn right? We aren't really 'equipped' to do that,” Goose said, Ah rolled my eyes and nodded.

“Look, Ah know this is gonna be weird, but in a sense, yer actually capable of it, and ya have been all yer life. The thin’ is, ponies as a species are inherently tied ta magic. Earth ponies are called that because our hooves can do thin’s that no other creature can. With every step we take, magic pours inta the ground and helps life grow. Earth ponies are doctors and nurses because our hooves have a healin' touch in a literal sense. Earth ponies are demolition workers and fighters because our magic can be used fer destruction as well. Sometimes it takes a special talent ta boost these abilities. However, a talent is just a way to say you’re naturally skilled at somethin’, and skills can be taught.

As fer y’all two, yer a unicorn and ya know how ta ‘use’ magic, but not how ta reinforce it. There’s a trick ta it, but with the right trainin’, ya can absorb the energy around ya ta cast. What Ah was taught is real similar ta what ya need ta learn, so it shouldn’t be too hard ta help ya figure it out. Once Ah get them started, Ah’ll get ta ya next.

You on the other hoof are gonna be tricky. As a pegasus, yer magic is mostly tied ta yer wings, and since Ah literally don’t have the appendage, it’s gonna be difficult ta show ya a feelin’ that should be in a place that doesn’t exist. Ah can share what it feels like fer me and maybe ya can figure it out from there, but we’ll have ta experiment with it either way. Fer now, Ah just want y’all ta spar while Ah get them goin’, okay?” The pegasus and the unicorn shrugged and nodded respectively, then trotted off ta the corner of the clearin’. Within’ minutes, they were on their hind legs throwin’ kicks and punches at each other, maybe a bit too similar ta the way Ah’ve always done it. Ah turned away from them them and then focused on my own race.

“Okay, I’m just a little lost here. Why can you do all this? Or, how, really?” Goose asked. Ah took a deep breath.

“Celestia used this same thin’ ta teach me everythin’ Ah’m tryin’ ta teach y’all. She taught me how ta recreate it, and how ta pass it on. That circle out there is somethin’ she learned as a child, and only so many ponies even know it exists. Like Ah said, it's a lot like an electrical circuit, or an engine. Rarity is the spark plug that ignites the Gas, and we're the fuel that keeps the engine runnin'. As fer the spell itself, much like yer brain has electricity runnin' through it ta process and store thoughts and actions, yer body also has magic in it ta keep ya connected ta the world and everythin’ in it. There was more ta all this than Ah can explain, and still don’t understand it completely, but it lets me share feelin’s with y’all, and that’s all Ah could ask fer right now.”

“Ooh! I have a question!” Pinkie said as she raised her hoof in the air. A moment passed as Ah let what she just did sink in, and then Ah answered the school filly.

“Yes?”

“Why is it that my powers aren’t working? I feel… so… different,” She asked. She picked a hoof up and flexed and stretched it all around, makin' what small muscles she had bulge and swell like she was much stronger than she really is.

“That Ah can answer. What y’all are feelin’ right now is my body. Before ya say anythin’, don’t make this weird. It’s more subtle fer the other two since we’re not physically the same, but if ya look, they’re both fightin’ like me right now.” Ah checked over my shoulder, but subtly was about the opposite word fer this. Ah saw Fluttershy shoot a cable from her wrist goin’ after Rarity, my bracers just suddenlt showin' up like she had 'em on beforehoof and knew how ta use 'em. The white mare doubled above her and did the same and the fight raged on. Wow, she really did fix a lot of my form issues. Ah wouldn't even know where ta begin if Ah had ta fight them... er, me? Goddess, this is weird. “Uh, maybe not so subtle. In a kinda ‘monkey see, monkey do’ way, you're gonna learn how ta get some of that destructive power out of yer hooves after ya lose the feelin' of my body and get yer own back. Ah imagine ya don’t feel too different, right Goose?” He shook his head.

“Not really. My skin is kinda soft, which it’s never been before, and I think my teeth are like, I don’t know, not sharp, but the whole strength thing is about the same, if not a little stronger than usual. Is this how it feels to have normal teeth? How do you ponies even eat with these things?” He said as he clicked his oddly straight teeth together. Ah simply shrugged.

“No idea shark boy. Anyways, Ah just want ya ta copy what Ah’m about ta do. You’ll feel it since we’re connected right now, but pay specific attention ta yer hooves. It’s kinda like… if ya ever watched a wave crash up against the docks and spray out. It’ll be a big ol’ burst power that just kinda flows through everythin’.” Ah went up ta the nearest tree and tried ta remember exactly what it looked like when Celestia showed me how ta do it.

The first thin’ ta come was the color. She made sure ta highlight the ‘magic vessels’ as she called them that flowed ta the hooves. Ah sat and focused my power there and then opened my eyes once it felt right. The orange glow that looked like bulgin’ veins along my legs appeared ta be right, so next came the action. With every collision, Ah was supposed ta imagine that color explodin’ like a wave splashin’ white spray along the harbor shore. Ah got up in my stance and loaded my right hoof. Once Ah was focused on the tree, an instinctual thought came inta mind and Ah threw the punch. The color splashed in a circular wave along the tree bark, shootin’ sparks like lightnin’ behind me and all across the sky. Torn from the ground, the tree shot back across the empty space behind it inta the next tree, knockin' all the apples off and uprootin' it. The momentum passed from tree ta tree until around six very large and very thick apple trees had been torn from the ground and removed of their apples.

“Okay… One, holy shit. Two, holy shit. Uh, just to be clear, this world is kinda real right? Like, physics and stuff works here so those trees weren’t made out of cardboard or anything, right?” Goose asked. Ah nodded.

“This memory is from back when Ah was about three or so. While my parents could easily buck apples off these trees that’ve been growin’ fer centuries, my little body could barely shake ‘em. If Celestia was tellin’ the truth, this world should feel about the same as Ah remember it, so I imagine they’re pretty hard at the moment. If Ah were ta equate it ta somethin’, the trees should be about as hard as a six foot thick concrete pillar.” The two reared back.

“You for real? Like, really?” Pinkie asked.

“See fer yourself.” In truth, my hoof still stung from the force Ah put inta the punch. Ah shook the pain away and watched Pinkie and Goose struggle ta shake a tree. The leaves barely so much as trembled under their meager efforts.

“So, my statement still stands. Holy shit. And you think I can do that?” Goose asked, a little excited even. Ah nodded.

“Ah know that both of ya can. At least in here. You should be able ta do it outside too, but that’s practice fer another time. Ya felt it, right?” The two tilted their heads and thought fer a moment.

“Well...” Pinkie began.

“It was there for sure,” Goose continued.

“But it was also like it wasn’t,” Pinkie added.

“Almost like there was this phantom feeling,” Goose furthered.

“Like I was feeling it as if I was doing it, but at the same time, I wasn’t,” they finished in unison. Ah nodded again.

“That sounds about right. It was similar when the princess showed me, but Ah think she had a better grasp on what she could make me feel. So, Ah’m gonna do it again, but real slow this time, one step at a time.” Ah made my way ta the next tree over and got in my stance.

“The first step is ta let the magic build. Ah’ve only really used this twice, and it was more of an instant thin’ both times. It’s a little strange ta do it before hoof, but Ah bet ya could charge it longer if ya needed ta. It’s almost like tensin’ up yer hooves, but there’s a liquid feelin ta it, like somethin’s movin’ inside.” Ah held my hoof at the back of my swing and watched as the bright orange light started ta fill my hoof from the inside. As Ah held it, Ah could feel an almost burnin’ comin’ from inside. The magic was writhin’ and violent, just waitin’ ta burst out like a waterfall bein' held back by a dam.

“As y’all can tell, this don’t feel too nice, so after ya get here, ya want ta let it go.” After bitin’ my lip ta take some of the pain off, Ah turned my attention ta the tree and let the magic go. The squirmin’ fire inside was relieved with the mediocre punch that landed on the tree. From the epicenter of the blow, the magic exploded in all directions, findin the little cracks in the tree that my hoof made and expandin’ them in an instant. Bark turned ta shrapnel and shot outward and inta the trees around it, yet leavin’ the apples on the ground in a neat pile. Fer a split second, Ah swore one of the trees turned inta a green tentacle, but it went away as soon as it appeared.

“I think the magic wants to let itself go, geez,” Pinkie said, shakin’ her hoof in the air.

“Yeah, I’m with Ponko on this one, that hurt. Like, a lot. Is this safe?” Goose asked, as Pinkie gave him an off color look. Ah scratched at my head. Well, Ah didn’t really ask about that…

“Ah don’t know. Celestia gave me a vague warnin’ about over usin’ it, but that’s about it. Now that Ah think about it though, it’d probably everywhere if it was, so try not ta go over board. That said, nothin’ is ‘really’ happenin’ here as far as our bodies are concerned, so give it a try.” Ah motioned toward another couple trees and Pinkie shrugged and went ahead, but Goose didn’t move. “Somethin’ wrong?”

“I’m still not sure about this. I know we might have no choice but to use it at some point, but shouldn’t we get more information about it first? Like, what if this does damage that can’t be repaired in the long run?” Ah furrowed my brows.

“Long run?”

“Yeah, like, later on in life.” Ah shook my head.

“What does it matter if we die in a fight because we’re afraid of usin’ the power we have available? As a matter of fact, Ah bet she didn’t tell me anythin’ because of that. Look, Ah know this is more than likely dangerous and all, but what’s the point if we’re dead? A little sayin’ Ah learned in my first couple years of hero work; ‘Dead mares tell no tales.’ Learn ta live it, or die without it. Make it ta tomorrow before ya think about the next day.” Usin’ this much force and messin’ with internal magic probably is gonna fuck us up later on in life, but only if we make it that far. Ah’d rather live with a problem than die early. Goose frowned.

“I suppose. But maybe… let me go first, huh? I know I haven’t known you girls all that long, but it’d be a real shame if this world lost you. And I mean that.” He took those sincere orange eyes off me and moved toward his own tree. Huh. Didn’t expect that. He sounded completely serious too. Pinkie’s hoof started ta flicker a bright pink, and with a quick jab at the tree, it gained a new big dent in the center. However, Pinkie reared her hoof back shakin’ it off like it was on fire.

“Holy hell, that hurt! Goddess, why does it burn so much!? On top of literally punching a wall, it burns me, geez!”

“But ya did it, didn’t ya? Try it again and put more inta it. Ah want three trees down by the time we get done here.” Pinkie sighed.

“Sure, whatever,” she said in a disheartened tone. Ah was about ta go reprimand that, but the Ah thought better of it. Ah should probably figure out what’s goin’ on with her before Ah go off on her… At the other tree, Goose was makin’ dents in it, but there wasn’t much of a glow at all. A pale yellow green would gather near the tip of his hoof, but falter just as he tried ta throw the punch.

“I just can’t get it to work. I can feel it, but it’s nowhere near as intense as what you did.”

“Hmm… Just keep at it, try chargin’ it longer if ya have ta, or try gettin’ the magic up as yer throwin’ the punch if it just fails too quick. We really have next ta no information on how this works at all, so we can’t rule anythin’ out until we do.” Goose frowned again, but went back at tryin’ ta get magic ta pool in his hoof. Well, he can do it at least, so that’s somethin’… but Ah wonder if there’s maybe more ta this than we know? Damn… Ah’ll have ta try and get in contact with her again. Ah really should know more before we try this out in the real world… The next thin’ Ah did was attempt ta get Rarity and Fluttershy’s attention, but that wasn’t workin’ at all. It was almost like the two were in some kinda trance. They were nearly missin’ each other or blockin’ one attack after the other relentlessly. Geez, why couldn’t they be that vicious the other day? After another minute of watchin’ the spectacle that they were, Ah decided it was time ta end their little ghost match.

The two shot at a tree on opposite ends and were about ta collide with each other as Ah grabbed one of the cables, ripped it out of the tree and sent a wave down it. Rarity at the other end seemed ta come out of the trance after bein’ literally shaken from it.

“Wha- what in the world!?” Ah let go of the cable and it shot back inta the bracer on her wrist as she came back down ta earth. This must've pulled Fluttershy outta whatever she was in because she face planted inta the tree her cable was hooked ta.

“Oww...” Ah caught Rarity and set her back down, then pulled Fluttershy off the tree. After she could stand and focus her eyes again, Ah figured Ah’d ask about what they were doin’.

“So uh… were y’all havin’ fun?”

“To be quite honest with you, I’m not sure what I was doing. One moment, We begin to spar, and the next we’re zipping around this field trying to kill each other,” Rarity said.

“I-I don’t entirely know what was going on either. S-shortly after the fight s-started, everything began to look different. I-I think I was in the city? And Rarity didn’t look like herself, s-she was some… b-black figure… I-I don’t know, I thought I was going to d-die if I didn’t fight back.” Maybe my other memories are startin’ ta blend inta this one? Hmm… If that’s the case, we need ta get done and get outta here before somethin' happens…

“Okay, well, let’s not do that anymore. Seein’ as y’all were fightin’ ghosts, ya probably didn’t see my demonstration. So, watch this and pay attention ta how it feels.” Ah used the power once more, this time dialin’ it back a bit ta keep from breakin’ too many trees in the process. When the second tree didn’t uproot the third, the show was over and Ah checked the shocked faces of my friends.

“A-and you think we can do that?” Fluttershy asked.

“Uh… maybe? The important thin’ is that feelin’ right before Ah hit the tree. The liquid tension, and the burnin’ sensation, did ya get it?” Ah asked. The two of them tilted their heads like the other two did.

“Well, kind of. It was certainly what you described, but it didn’t line up with what I saw,” Rarity said.

“How so?”

“Well, that feeling is associated with the light, yes?”

“Yeah, that’s the gist of it.”

“Well, it was more like I felt as if I were taking in the aqueous fire instead gathering it from inside. Almost like it was coming from somewhere else and not… me?” Ah nodded.

“Yeah, that sounds about right. Celestia said that’s what it should feel like fer a unicorn. What’s happenin’ here is that Ah’m poolin’ magic up in my hooves and then lettin' it go as raw power. Ah’m not real sure how ya would start the process, but once ya gather the magic Ah figure ya can push it inta a spell or somethin’. Ah know that there are combat spells out there that reinforce the body, so maybe we can look inta that once we get back ta reality. Fer now, just attempt ta put dents in the trees with yer hooves. If ya can do that, then we can look inta gettin’ it ta work in the real world.” Rarity nodded in agreement.

“That works for me. Who knows, this might give me the ability to be a ‘normal unicorn’ for once,” she said with air quotes. Huh. Ta become normal by becomin’ more than normal.

“Maybe. But we don’t know what this will do ta yer body, so then again, maybe not.” Ah waved her away and she shrugged and made her way ta the nearest tree. My attention then turned ta Fluttershy.

“So, what did you feel?”

“Um… I-I think it was the whole build up thing, b-but in a place that’s usually kinda numb for me. Like, y-you know how pegasi have nerves near the tips of their wings?” Ah nodded. For what little Ah knew about each tribe’s anatomy outside the basics, unicorns have a specific part at the base of the horn that connects it ta the brain, and pegasi have wings that come in all manner of shapes and sizes that resemble birds in the wild. Earth ponies don’t have anythin’ that’s specifically unique ta themselves, but all our cells are tougher in comparison ta the others, makin’ bones, skin and organs harder ta break. “W-well, it was like I could suddenly feel everything around my feather tips. L-like they were super sensitive. I’m not s-sure what that means though…”

“Huh. Well, Ah figured it’d be different fer ya. Why don’t ya try poolin’ the magic and then flyin’ on it?”

“O-okay.” She closed her eyes and Ah took a step back as the tips of her feathers started ta glow with a yellow light. Without warnin’, the light quickly climbed up her feathers and over her wings. She made a motion ta flap them once, and like a rocket, she shot in the sky. Screamin’ all the while, the pale yellow rocket started ta come down as the light faded away in a trail. When she didn’t fix herself and she kept fallin’ though, Ah knew somethin’ was wrong.

“Remember to use caution when using this spell. The world may not be real, but the mind perceives this world as a place in reality. If the consciousness is discontinued in here, the consciousness has a very low chance of returning to its owner’s body.” Celestia’s warnin’ echoed through my mind. My brain went on high alert and suddenly everythin’ Ah ever knew about physics came ta the forefront. In an instant of panic and clarity, Ah figured out how ta save her.

“Goose, Pinkie, Rarity, here, now!” Ah ordered. The three showed up in an instant. “Rarity, Pinkie, get ready ta play catch! Goose, throw me!” Ah yelled as Ah pointed at the rapidly fallin’ figure. Without a word the other two got in position from where Fluttershy had taken off, and Goose picked me up.

“Man, I hope you know what you’re doing!” He said. Ah pooled magic in my rear hooves and Goose did the same with his front. As soon as Ah felt Goose begin ta throw me, Ah released my own magic. The two opposin’ forces shot me like a bullet and directly in line with Fluttershy’s flailin’ body. Just as Ah reached the crest of my arc, Ah caught Fluttershy out of the air and began ta fall myself with ever increasin’ speed. Ah tossed the limp body up and away toward the others just as Ah was about ta reach the treeline. Bark came up ta my face quicker than Ah was prepared fer, then everythin’ went dark.

PreviousChapters Next