• Published 24th May 2016
  • 8,797 Views, 244 Comments

Shining Chitin - Damaged



Shining Armor finds a hole in his hoof. It goes all the way through and, along with other recent changes, makes him believe he is turning into a changeling!

  • ...
23
 244
 8,797

The rescue

"I have got to be crazy. This doesn't make sense but…" Chrysalis sighed as she thought of the two, her Queens. "They beat me, fair and square, at my own game." She looked out at the tracks flowing away behind the train.

Careful stepped out onto the back step of the caboose with Chrysalis. "They told me." He reached a leg up and over the former queen's shoulders.

"Was I a bad queen?" Chrysalis knew she hadn't been. She had raised the hive too big and they had to invade Canterlot just to try to feed them.

"You were terrible." Careful felt assured enough in his new position that he could afford the truth. "But you loved us, you cared for us. You even faced down Princess Celestia for us." He gave the other changeling a squeeze.

Chrysalis didn't want any more words. She looked at her rule from a new way, that of the fellow drone at her side. She smiled, the expression feeling so much better than the smirk or scowl she used to wear all the time.


"It's gone!" Shining kept turning around in circles, then swapping directions. "Cady, it's gone!"

"Did you try looking under the pillow?" Cadance's droll tone was enough of a sobering blow to Shining's ego that he at least stopped turning in circles. "Okay, you calm again?" The stallion nodded. "Okay, so your cutie mark is gone, no big deal, changelings don't have them."

He was dumbfounded. "It's not that easy!" Without thinking, he lifted the pillow his wife had gestured to earlier and immediately felt stupid for doing it. "Everypony will know I am a monster." A wing curled around his side and without thinking about it Shining leaned into Cadance.

"Shh, you aren't a monster, and if anything your cutie mark is more important now. You have a lot more ponies to protect." Cadance felt the train start to slow. "So, get your disguise on and let's go and save our hive."

The kiss on Shining's cheek did as much to buoy his spirits as the words did. Calling the fire, he felt his form adjust and looking just like his old self again, he couldn't help but feel a little… odd. This wasn't him.


"My Queens." Chrysalis looked around, there were hundreds of drones. She wasn't even aware there were this many changelings in her hive before but the proof was right before her. "Not all of them will be able to disguise."

Shining had changed again, making himself into a pegasus version of himself. Wings were perfect for giving the hugs the changelings needed. "What do you mean?"

"She is right, most of us can do sort-of pony shapes, though." The voice came from under Shining's wing and he lifted it a little to see a drone snuggled under it. He would have to fight not to smile at the adorable changeling, so he didn't.

"I am your-" Chrysalis cut short, her brain catching up to her tongue. But when the drone stuck their tongue out at her she lost her cool. Rushing forward, fury burning in her veins, she almost made contact with the other changeling before she froze and just looked up. Shining Armor's nose was a mere inch from her own and the former queen of changelings blushed.

"You need a hug too?" Shining's words bit more sharply than the drone's had, Chrysalis felt tears start to come. The words were a final reminder that she was no longer queen of the hive. Warmth wrapped her, it clung to her with soft, feathery down. "It's okay, Chrysalis, nopony expects you to fully turn around in just a few days."

A second pressure touched Chrysalis' other side and she saw it was the taunting drone. Under Shining's wing, Chrysalis bawled harder and harder, letting out years of suppressed pain.

"So how are we going to get you all back?" Shining looked to the little drone but got a shrug back. Of course, he shouldn't be asking that kind of question of them.

"The train of course." Cadance spread her wings and gestured with a hoof to the stationary train in the distance. "Everypony-"

"Ling!" a drone shouted, catching the princess off guard.

"Sorry, everyling." Cadance looked around at the faces and noticed a lot of smiles on them already. "Everyling, please make your way to the train with whatever disguise you can manage. It doesn't have to be perfect, we just have to get you back to the Crystal Empire."

"My Queen, we… we don't have much energy, some won't-" One changeling was cut short as Cadance turned to Shining and leaned in to kiss him.

Over five hundred little voices gave a collective sigh as a wave of love rolled out, swamping them.

Chrysalis had lost her spot under Shining's wing, but right then she didn't care so much, she was gazing at her queens with adoring eyes. "Love is the better choice…"


Celestia strode through the streets of the Crystal Empire, on her way to the castle. Luna was at her side and both looked a little out of sorts. In the open, changelings were going about daily lives, beside the citizens of the city.

"It's not right." Luna glanced at one drone, apparently selling some crystal apples. "This is worse than we thought, my sister."

"Bestill your anger, Luna." Celestia tried to keep her eyes forward. It was hard to keep her full focus in the presence of creatures that had defeated her so soundly. The missive had been clear, however, there was to be no fighting the changelings.

"Announcing Princess Celestia and Princess Luna!" A crystal pony guard had announced the two and the royal sisters strode forward into the impressive throne room. The sight that greeted them had both narrow their eyes. Chatting casually with the changelings and courtiers of the Crystal Empire, was Chrysalis.

"Auntie Celestia, Auntie Luna." Cadance smiled and managed to draw their attention from the former changeling queen to herself. "It is a delight to see you in my much-restored empire." There was enough emphasis on 'my' that Celestia got the hint, clear as day.

"We heard a rumor of a train load of changelings charging through Equestria, stopping for nopony." Celestia looked at Cadance and realized at once she had wrought too well.

"You have to understand, Auntie, some of our changelings were starving, we simply couldn't risk them to-" Cadance was playing her game until Luna dropped a solid hoof on the flagstone.

"What is going on, niece?" Luna's eyes glared at the changelings around until they fell on a scraggly one that strode up and sat in the empty throne beside Cadance. "What… what is the meaning of this?"

A flash of green fire took Shining and restored his form, or at least the one Luna knew better. "Auntie." Shining took the seat he had been reluctant to take. "As you can see, we are a little attached to our new citizens."

Author's Note:

Emotions have a way of getting out, particularly when you don't want them to. Lucky Chrysalis has a wing to hide under now. :heart:

Support me on Patreon or fuel my writing on Ko-Fi!

Join me on Discord. Warning, said chat may contain NSFW material and should be considered adult in nature.

Awesome ponies who are already helping to keep me in keyboards and rum:
Canary in the coal mine
Daremo