• Published 10th Aug 2017
  • 4,415 Views, 81 Comments

The Narrator Finds Twilight - Stratocaster



Twilight goes missing and it's up to the omnipotent Narrator and her friends to save her!

  • ...
4
 81
 4,415

The Search for Purple Smart

Chapter 2: The Search for Purple Smart

Six of Spades. Jack of Hearts. Three of Clubs. Eight of Diamonds.

"Wow! Right every time!" exclaimed Pinkie as she held up playing cards faced down in the castle living room. "Are you sure you don't have ESP?!"

Pinkie I really don't feel like explaining this to you for the umpteenth time.

"Jeez who soured your grapes?" replied Pinkie. "You're not still worried about Twilight are you?"

Of course I'm still worried! She hasn't shown up all day and I can't feel her presence anywhere.

"So maybe she was called to Canterlot suddenly." Pinkie shrugged as she began building a house of cards. "You know how Princess Celestia likes to keep her on her hooftips."

But something just occurred to me. No matter where Twilight ends up, I always seem to be able to follow her and see what she's doing. Even if she went as far as Neighjing I would still catch up. It doesn't happen automatically, but I just always know her whereabouts. Now...I got nothing. The only explanation is that she somehow disappeared to somewhere out of Equestria. Somewhere like another dimension!

"Ooh! That's it!" Pinkie sprang up, having built a card skyscraper. "Twilight must have gone to the human dimension! That place is crazy fun! Maybe you can find her there?"

Oh yeah, that place. I don't she's told you this, but Twilight quarantined off the portal to the human world.

"Aw! How come?!" Pinkie looked dejected.

Well ever since she started learning about diseases in the human dimension, she suddenly ran out and decided to never go back in because she wasn't vaccinated. A bit of an overreaction I'll admit, but I can't blame her. I don't even want to know what cholera is. Besides, I would have sensed if Twilight went anywhere near that portal. It's as if she...de-manifested. Is that a word?

"I dunno, you're the narrator!" Pinkie said, then clenched her stomach. "Oh! That ginger cake did not live up to its tummy healing properties! Maybe I shouldn't have put in so much condensing flour! Gotta go!" She quickly bolted for the bathroom, collapsing the card monolith on the table in the process.

I guess I gotta be the one to clean that up. Come here, cards...Wait a minute...Am I seeing this right?...There's...No...It can't be.

After a few minutes, Pinkie emerged from the bathroom feeling refreshed. "Phew! That recipe's gonna need some work!"

Pinkie, take a look at this!

She glanced over at the table as two of her cards slid up to her face up. Sure enough, they both featured the same caricature of Princess Luna with the same suite. "What the?!"

That's right, duplicate cards! Do you know what this means?!

"You're accusing me of using a fixed deck?!" glared Pinkie. "How dare you, Narrator! I would never cheat at a game of Old Mare! I didn't come here just to be grilled like this!"

Pinkie, I know you didn't cheat. This is a new deck that I saw you open just hours ago, so there's no way there could be duplicate cards. You may not understand it, but to me this can mean only one thing. What if I told you that a small anomaly like this is a sign of a rift in reality? A glitch if you will. And I think it has something to do with Twilight's appearance!

"...Pfff! Really, Narrator, and I thought you were smart!" scoffed Pinkie. "Some silly filly in the card factory probably just goofed. That doesn't mean reality has been rifted or whatever."

...Well I guess so. Maybe this is just a weird coincidence and- NO! I'm sure I'm on to something! There's been a rift, Twilight's been plucked out of reality, and this is a clue! And I'm going to find more! I won't rest until I...Pinkie...how many balloons are on your cutie mark?

"Huh? Why three, of course!" she said. "Toppy, Middly, and Bottomy! Why do you ask?"

...Because I only see two.

"What?! You kidder, I think I would know my...AAAAAHH!" Pinkie screeched upon craning back to see her flank, only to find two balloons on both sides. "Bottomy! Where are you?! Come to mama!" she shouted as she darted her head around. "Who took my balloon?! You monster! Come out so I can kick your sorry rump!"

Pinkie, this is exactly what I'm talking about! Tiny impossible changes in reality are appearing which can only lead to some kind of existential glitch.

"But what could have caused this glitchy thing?!" asked Pinkie.

I think I have an idea of who caused it. This looks like something Princess Celestia might be able to help with. Pinkie, I need you to come to Canterlot so you can talk to her for me. I don't think she is aware of my existence yet.

"You got it!" she replied. "Anything to get my poor Bottomy back!" She ran towards the door only to immediately trip and fall. "Oh my gosh!" she gasped. "This bucket wasn't always here! It's another glitch!"

No Pinkie, you just left that there.

"How do you know?!" she exclaimed. "How do I know that you know?! I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE!!!" Pinkie then proceeded, in a deranged state, to dunk her head in said bucket which was still filled with mop water.

...Maybe I'll just go ask Fluttershy.

......

Meanwhile at her cottage just outside Everfree Forest, Fluttershy was busying herself in the front garden feeding sunflower seeds to a local gathering of finches. The little birds swarmed and perched all around the druid-like pegasus, even sitting in her long blue mane as they chirped and- wait a minute what the hell?!

"Eeep!" shrieked Fluttershy. "Oh, Narrator! I didn't hear you appear. Is something wrong?"

Uh, Fluttershy? Has your mane always been that shade of blue?

"...You don't like it?" she asked, meekly.

No no no, it's not that, I'm just saying it changed color all of a sudden.

"No you're right, it did." She said, twirling her locks. "It changed from pink to blue early today and I didn't know what to make of it. Do you think I should dye it back to pink? It's okay if you think so."

No it's fine, I just wasn't expecting it.

"Oh...okay...if you say so."

So did anything else unusual happen around here?

"Um, not that I know of." Fluttershy shrugged. "The yellow-bellied marmoset has been eating more wingnuts than usual today. Why do you ask?"

Okay, Fluttershy, listen carefully because-

"Yoohoo! Narrator! Is that your voice I hear?!"

Oh...hey, Rarity.

"My word, Fluttershy!" beamed the fashionista as she trotted up to the cottage. "You didn't say you were going to dye your mane. It looks truly radiant!"

"Oh, why thank you, Rarity." Fluttershy blushed. "I'm glad somepony likes how it looks."

Wait what's that supposed to mean?

"Anyway, dear," said Rarity, reaching into her saddlebag. "I finished restitching your jacket. My hooves feel quite raw from all the needlework, but it's what I love do of course!"

"I really appreciate it, Rarity!" said Fluttershy, taking her fixed jacket.

Your hooves? Why couldn't you just sew with your magic like you always do?

"Magic?" Rarity scoffed. "Honestly, Narrator, I may be an experienced tailor but I'm no wizard."

What are you...AAAH! Your horn!

"My what?"

It's gone! What happened to your horn?!

"Narrator, you're being strange." Rarity said. "I'm an earth pony, you know that."

No you weren't! You're supposed to be a unicorn! You've always been!

"What? I've never been a unicorn, I've always been an earth pony!...Haven't I?" Rarity shook her head slightly. "Wait, this doesn't feel right. Now that you mention it, I do remember having a horn. And using it too! Oh goodness! This isn't how it's always been! Why am I an earth pony?! Not that that's a bad thing. Has my whole life been a lie?! What happened to my beautiful horn?!" She then crumpled to the ground and began sobbing in typical dramatic fashion. "I don't know who I am anymore!"

"It's okay, Rarity," said Fluttershy, lending her a hoof to her shoulder. "I'm starting to think my life's been a lie too."

"Ah quit yer bellyachin', ya drama queen!"

Applejack! Do you feel any different at all?

"Oh, howdy Narrator." The humble farmer said, a cart full of celery strapped to her back. "Um, not really. I feel fit as a fiddle actually."

Well that's good because- buh- buh- buh- buh- buh- What is that?!

"What's what? Mah tail? Somethin' wrong about mah tail?"

"Her tail's been there, Narrator." Fluttershy said.

The celery! What is up with the celery?!

"Whaddya mean?" Applejack cocked her head. "I've been growin' celery since I can remember. It's mah livelihood n' such."

No it's not! You grow apples! Your name is Applejack! You're part of the Apple Family! It's on your cutie mark!

"Hey mister, I don't tell you how ta live yer life!" glowered Applejack. "I'm a celery girl and that's that! Ya think Rainbow should be a rainbow farmer 'cause of her name?"

...I can't really poke any holes in that logic. But it's still not right!

"Well shoot!" She turned her head away, insulted. "Then don't come cryin' ta me when yer next bloody Mary goes un-garnished!"

Ugh, looks like you don't even realize there's a problem. Wait a minute, Rainbow! I wonder what drastic change has affected her.

"AAAAAHH!!! It's horrible!" Rainbow's voice suddenly cried out as she came hurdling through the air from above. "I can't believe this is happening to me!"

Rainbow, it's me! Just calm down and tell me what's happened.

"Narrator, girls, you won't believe this," she stammered. "My...my...my hooves went up a size! I was trying on my Wonderbolt boots when I realized they were suddenly too tight! Now how am I supposed to bear air drag if my hooves are getting bigger?! This is terrible!!!"

...Really? That's what's different about you?

"And you call ME the drama queen!" retorted Rarity, still sobbing.

"Alright, just what in the good name o' celery is goin' on with y'all?"

"I'll tell you what." Pinkie said, appearing out of the blue. For some reason she wore a black leather duster and a pair of rimless shades. She spoke to everypony in a foreboding tone. "The world that you know is just a fabrication meant to occupy your minds while your bodies are being controlled by a greater force."

Um, excuse me?

"Yeah, Pinkie, what the heck are you saying?" asked Rainbow.

"That you are living in a dreamworld, Rainbow." Pinkie continued and held out two treats. "And I can offer a way out. You eat the blue frosted cookie, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You eat the red frosted cookie, you stay in wonderland and see just how far the doughnut hole goes."

You've been watching way too many movies, Pinkie.

"Oh yeah? Well I know Kung Fu!" said Pinkie, pulling a crane stance.

"Do either of your ways out have vanilla?" asked Fluttershy.

"Or processed flour?" added Rarity.

"Are you saying you drugged these cookies, Pinkie?" sneered Rainbow.

"Can I eat the red one without fallin' into a hole?" quipped Applejack.

Alright listen, all of you! There's a reason for all of these weird changes. Twilight's gone missing, and her disappearance has caused glitches in reality. I believe this is the work of an otherworldly force not unlike me. But we must find out what it is.

"Preposterous, Narrator!" Rarity rolled her eyes. "Twilight is always bustling between here and Canterlot. It's not unlike her to leave on business without telling us."

Then how is it that even I can't find her presence?

"Well...that is a bit of a mystery." She said blankly.

"Hey yeah, Narry's always been able to follow Twilight wherever she goes." Rainbow added. "If he can't even do that, it's like she's been...uh...she's been..."

"Unplugged?" suggested Pinkie.

"Whatever that means." Rainbow shrugged.

"This sounds scary." Fluttershy trembled. "If Narrator can't find Twilight, what chance do any of have? What if she never comes back?"

"Now c'mon, sugarcube," said Applejack. "She's one of us, the Elements o' Harmony. We always have a way of returnin' to each other eventually."

That's right. But even with all of you together, it'll still take some big help to uncover what happened. That's why I think you should all see Princess Celestia.

"Of course! She'll know what to do!" chimed in Rarity.

"Well then let's get our flanks to Canterlot on the double!" said Rainbow, ready to take off.

"But wait," pondered Fluttershy. "How will we know nothing has changed about Princess Celestia as well?"

Look, Fluttershy, my head hurts too much already. Let's just get to Canterlot before we find something that's changed out of control.

"You can just say you don't like my mane, Narrator." Fluttershy frowned.

"Really, Narrator, you know how sensitive Fluttershy is about her looks." Rarity scolded.

"Yeah don't be such a jerk!" glared Rainbow.

Are you kidding me?

......

"No no no this can't be happening! This just can't be happening!"

Oh but it is. Twilight scurried around the black onyx floor of her gloomy castle. She rummaged through her shelved collection of dark magic and occult books, wearing a perplexed and anxious expression.

"This isn't mine! None of this is mine! Spike! Spike, where are you?!"

She then cantered over to the nearest window and peered out, only to be struck baffled by the view of Ponyburgh. Life carried on as normal for the ponies strolling around the driftwood buildings over the stilted boardwalks. The usual scent of rot permeated the greenish mist that emanated from the stagnant waterway below the cramped streets.

"Where am I?" shuddered Twilight as she gazed at the poorly maintained infrastructure. "I can see everything quite fine, thank you, whoever you are!" she barked at the ceiling.

Like what I've done with the place, Princess Twilight?

"If you're saying this is Equestria, then you are surely lying!"

You're right, it's not Equestria. It's my own little version of it. Sort of a second edition if you will.

"Second edition? Just who are you anyway?"

Why...I'm the Editor!

"The Editor? Wait, are you some kind of narrator?!"

You could say that. Only I'm much better at the job.

"So you must know the narrator who follows me! Where is he?! What have you done?!"

Simple, Twilight. I rejected your reality and substituted my own.

"Ugh! Could you be any more vague and cryptic?!"

Try not to think about it too much. You wouldn't want to damage that precious brain of yours.

"Listen you creep! You better tell me what's happened or-"

"Gah! Will you shut up already, you chatty egghead?!"

"...Who was that?"

Oh yes, you were wondering where Spike is?

"Spike? He's here?!"

"Who the hell is Spike?!" grumbled Crag as he entered the bedroom holding a cigar to his mouth. "Can't ya go five minutes without talkin' your mouth off to yourself? I'm tryin' to sleep off this hangover!"

"What in the...You're not Spike!"

Of course not. He's your new lovable assistant, Crag the fire salamander!

"What have you done with Spike?!"

"Call me Spike one more time, brainiac," rasped Crag. "And I'll charbroil your precious necromancy books!"

"Necromancy? I would never...What am I saying? This really is a different world! But...wait, who am I? Am I a part of this dimension? You, salamander, what's my name?"

"What are ya crazy? It's Twilight friggin' Sparkle! After all ya keep lettin' the whole town know that." Crag replied and puffed on his cigar.

"What do you mean?" Twilight said then coughed. "Would you please put out that cigar?"

"Ey, I'm a fire salamander, lady!" replied Crag with another puff. "Ya can't blame a fish for breathin' water. By the way we're out of Vanhoover whiskey."

"Ugh, how did the alternate me ever get mixed up with a wretch like you?"

Do you really think you're the same you in this world, Twilight? In Equestria, you are viewed as a savior to the ponyfolk. You've brought peace, friendship and enlightenment to everywhere on your travels. But in this edition, well, you're the bane of this town's existence.

"Oh, I get it. So there's an anti-Twilight running around in my place? I can see right through your charade, Mr. Editor. If you knew enough about me, you should know that I have experience with crossing into other dimensions. I've been to an Equestria entirely run by humans. Heck, I've even met myself through time travel! So you know what? None of this scares me! Either I'm going to find my way out of this world or my friends will find me! And there's nothing you can do to stop that!"

I see. But do you know why I am called the Editor?

"Um, I don't know, because you're a jerk?"

It means I change things Twilight. I don't create stories. I simply take one that already exists and rearrange it into a way I see fit. Do you really think you're in a different Equestria in a physical sense?

"Wh...what are you talking about?"

My dear, this is without a doubt the very same Equestria that you've lived in all your life. You haven't been transported anywhere, like with your human wold and all your various timelines. You haven't moved an inch! I told you it's simple, Twilight. The world around you has completely changed in an instant!

"You mean...it's been..."

That's right! Edited! By yours truly!

"Then where's the Narrator?! If this is the same Equestria then he's got to be still around!...Isn't he?"

Hm hm hm...I'm afraid that loser wasn't part of the package.

"No...no I don't believe it! He has to be here!" Twilight sped down the stairs in a frantic state. She made her way through the haunting front chamber of her jagged black castle. "Oh my castle is ruined...You can't beat me, you snake! My friends will have noticed that everything's changed too. If the Narrator can't help me then they will!"

"Whoa hey!" Crag called after her. "I wouldn't go out there if I was you!"

Ignoring the salamander, Twilight threw open the double doors only to be met with a cacophony of shouting. She gawked in fright as half of the town of Ponyburgh formed an angry mob out front. The citizens rabbled and protested all at once, shaking their hooves at the confused purple pony. Even some of the foals joined in on the public ostracizing.

"Wh-wh-what's going on?!" Twilight darted around. "People, settle down!"

"Consarn you, Twilight Sparkle!" shouted Applejack from the front of the mob. "You come out here and take what's comin' to ya!"

"Applejack!" beamed Twilight. "What's happening?! Did you notice anything different?!"

"Oh I'll say we noticed something, you vile witch!" jeered Rarity. "You'd better have a good explanation for what you've done!"

"I don't understand! What did I do?!"

"You know dang well what you did!" shouted Rainbow Dash. "You set fire to the whole carrot farm just to practice your stupid destruction spells!"

"Only you would do something like this, you...big...dumb...meanie!" added Fluttershy. "We want you to stop these reckless antics and get out of our town!"

"Lemme at her! LEMME AT HER!" blurted Pinkie Pie, ready to put up her dukes.

The crowd continued their chaotic protesting as Twilight quickly slammed the doors shut, closing the lock. She leaned against the wall trying to control her breath, after having so many ponies chastise her.

"Boy, this anti-me must be a real monster. And none of my friends seem to have any idea of all the changes. If I can just find the other Twilight maybe I can calm them all down."

Oh ho Twilight, haven't you learned by now? I told you, this is the same Equestria. And there is still only one Twilight Sparkle who lives here. There is no anti-you.

"Then why am I suddenly a social pariah?! I never burned down any farm!"

You may not have. Hm hm hm, but all those angry ponies seem to think so. It's as if their memories were somehow...edited?

"...No way. You...you can't do that!"

Ha ha, I just did you silly girl! I'm the Editor! I can change anything! Even your mind!

"Not a chance! You may have my friends under your spell, but you'll never convince me that I'm a part of your twisted version of my home!"

Not for now, anyway. But you'll see, Miss Sparkle. Soon you will adapt to this new life of yours. You will accept that you are in fact the magical menace that the town of Ponyburgh know you as. And soon, you will learn to appreciate me.

"Never! Get out of my head! You're not my Narrator!" Twilight yelled and cantered upstairs, locking the door and shutting all the blinds. She curled up in a corner, struggling to contain her fear and anguish. But then, she gasped as she noticed her front right hoof. The lavender fur was faintly turning dark and matted, as if some cosmic force was catching up to her physical state. Twilight's confusion only grew to near hysteria. "This...this isn't the same Equestria. It can't be. It has to be different. And I'm still me! Right?"

"Eh man, she's gonna pop." Crag said with a drag of his cigar.

......

"Ya know, a lotta ponies don't realize how many soups require celery as an ingredient." Applejack droned on as the remaining Elements of Harmony approached Canterlot Castle. "Veggie n' barley, wild mushroom, clam chowder, minestrone, ya can even use it in a broth with cheddar and tofu and-"

"We get it, Applejack!" groaned Rainbow. "We're still not eating your gross celery!"

"Yer loss, airhead!" huffed Applejack, taking an earsplitting chomp out of a celery stalk.

"Um, Narrator?" spoke Fluttershy. "I've been wondering. How are we going to explain you to Princess Celestia? I don't think she can hear you like we can, can she?"

I would have known if she could. Don't worry, I'm sure she'll believe you if you just tell her the truth. Besides, I guarantee Twilight has written to Celestia about my existence...At least, I hope she has.

"Of course Twilight would write to Celestia about you, Narrator." Rarity said.

"No she hasn't!" came a voice from beneath Applejack's cart full of celery.

"What in tarnation?!" exclaimed Applejack as she began rummaging through her precious crop. At the bottom of the cart was a little dragon smiling up at her sheepishly. "Spike what the whole horse do ya think yer doin' in mah celery?!"

"Well I certainly wasn't eating it." Spike murmured. "But I heard you girls were going to see Celestia to try to find Twilight, so I decided to tag along."

"I doubt you're going to be much help, Spike," said Rainbow. "Seeing as how you can't hear the Narrator either."

"Oh please, I'm glad I don't have to hear that invisible goon." The little pansy replied. "But if Twilight has gone missing and he can't do anything about it, then it becomes my business!"

"Well I guess that's fair enough." Applejack shrugged. "Just don't go gettin' mah fragile celery all dirty!"

"Heh, don't have to worry about that." Spike mocked before Applejack mule kicked the cart, knocking him dizzy.

Upon entering the towering front doors of the alabaster castle, the ponies and one dragon wandered down the hallowed halls towards the main throne chamber, hoping Princess Celestia would be found there as usual. The royal guards saluted the Elements of Harmony as they passed, having them as frequent guests after all. But before the group could reach the throne room, they were halted by a thundering female voice from behind.

"WAIT, MY PONY COMRADES!" called Princess Luna, startling the regular sized mares as she came bounding up the hall.

"Princess Luna! What good timing!" greeted Rarity. "We were just coming to ask for help."

"We need to see the Oracle." Pinkie said, still in her mysterious black garb.

"Ignore her." Rainbow added. "We need you and Princess Celestia to help us find Twilight. She up and vanished out of thin air and we think it's because of some kind of time-space rifty thingy. We figured you two would be powerful enough to find her."

"Oh bother, I fear thou will not find much assistance from my dear sister." Luna said with a heavy sigh. "For something has happened to her recently that even myself can nary explain."

"What do ya mean, Princess?" asked Fluttershy. "Is she alright?"

Uh oh, it must be another anomaly.

"I know not what to make of the situation." Luna replied. "Thou will just have to follow me and see for thine selves."

With a slight sense of dread, the moon goddess silently led the ponies and Spike down a different corridor away from the throne room. Ascending a flight of stairs, they came upon a door surrounded by ornate glass walling. After stepping inside, the visiting ponies realized they were entering the recently built royal aviary, home to hundreds of exotic birds of numerous species. Fluttershy delighted in the biodiversity and flew up to admire the tweeting and squawking critters flying by.

"Ooh I love this place! I'm so glad you finally have a place for all the birdies around the garden, Princess Luna." She said, holding a singing cockatiel on her hoof and whistling to it. "But, um...why are we in here again?"

"Because I wanted to show you what has happened to Celestia today." Luna then called into the shrubbery of the aviary. "Tia! Tia, it is I! Come here, sister of mine!"

"QUACK! QUACK!"

The other ponies and Spike looked in confusion as a large white duck waddled out from behind a bush. That is, they were confused until they noticed the flowing, technicolor mane on the duck's head?!

"PRINCESS CELESTIA?!" they all blurted at once.

" QUACK QUACK QUACK!!!"

Fluttershy literally fainted from midair, landing in an acacia tree and having more cockatiels nesting in her blue mane. Spike burst out laughing and began rolling on the floor for the next several minutes.

"Okay very funny, Princess Luna!" chuckled Rainbow. "I gotta hand it to ya, this was a solid prank. Putting a wig on a duck? I admire the dedication but seriously, where's Princess Celestia?"

"THIS IS NO PRANK, RAINBOW DASH!" bellowed Luna in the royal voice. "This waterfowl is indeed my beloved sister!"

The duck with beautiful hair proceeded to preen her wing feathers, making low, soft quacks as she did.

"B-b-b-but how could this happen?!" came Applejack.

"As I have said, I have no explanation." Luna sighed. "I had awoken from my morning slumber as I began hearing a loud quacking sound echoing from my sister's chambers. I entered hoping to silence the noise, but I became astounded to find this bird in Tia's bed! I then put out a search party around Canterlot to make certain that she had not gone astray." She became sorrowed as she spoke. "But now I am adamant that my own poor sister...has...has..."

"Has finally quacked?!" guffawed Spike as he continued laughing. Applejack chucked a celery stalk at his head.

"Don't fret, Princess Luna." Rarity comforted her. "At least no apparent harm has come to your sister. Besides, we've been experiencing mysterious changes like this in Ponyville. And we suspect it has something to do with Twilight's disappearance! You see-"

"Wait...you had mentioned that Princess Twilight has gone missing earlier, haven't you?" spoke Luna with a bit of confusion.

"Yeah! And you we need your help to find her!" reiterated Rainbow.

"What are thou talking about?" queried Luna. "Fair Twilight is right here, within this castle."

...Wait what? How can that be? I would have sensed her here.

"Um, you don't say?" asked Rarity. "Would you mind taking us to her then, Princess?"

"Verily." Luna answered. "But I must warn thou, she hath been in a rather disgruntled state, ever since she arrived here unexpectedly this morning. Come to think of it, this was around the same time as when mine sister morphed into a duck."

"Quack?"

Luna then led her pony subjects out of the aviary, leaving Fluttershy to rest with her feathery friends. This time, they descended three flights of stairs until the decor grew duller and more hidden from the light. It appeared they were entering the...dungeon block of the castle's sublevel? Wait a minute...

"Princess Luna, why would Twilight be down here?" asked Spike. "Isn't this a dungeon?"

"As much as it pains me so to say," explained Luna as they entered the dim corridor. "When Twilight first arrived today she was in such foul behavior that we were compelled to restrain her from causing havoc in the castle. She had begun destroying some of our furniture for instance."

"That doesn't sound like Twi." Rainbow scoffed. "What could have gotten into her?"

"Turn off the light, you hag, I'm trying to read in here!"

Oh no...it couldn't be. She's...she's...Twilight sat in once of the dungeon cells behind bars. Her fur and mane were darkened and matted and she wore an expression of begrudging spite. She sat on the floor reading from some morbid and forbidding tome. Her horn was aflame with menacing magic. In a way...she had become totally unlike herself.

"Oh great, what the hell do you bunch of losers want?" growled Twilight.

"Twilight?!" gawked Spike. "Wha...what's happened to you?!"

"And who the hell is that pipsqueak dragon?!" Twilight's dark magic flared from her horn in anger.