• Published 28th May 2016
  • 4,568 Views, 663 Comments

Pony Postscripts - MythrilMoth



Short postscript scenes intended to address loose plot threads, discuss endings, and so forth from various episodes of the show.

  • ...
31
 663
 4,568

PreviousChapters Next
Time Won't Let You [S2: "It's About Time"]

Luna peered curiously into the Starswirl the Bearded Wing of the Canterlot Archives. "Sister? What are you doing here?"

A scroll was floating in Celestia's magic, and she had a wistful expression on her face. "Just...thinking," she said.

Luna trotted up to her and examined the scroll. Her brow furrowed. "Time travel, Celestia?"

Celestia shook her head. "Twilight Sparkle had a recent misadventure here involving this spell. I didn't get all the details—mostly just a warning to put stronger security on this wing—but apparently, she used this spell and inadvertently created a minor stable time loop."

"Oh dear," Luna said, brushing a hoof across her muzzle. "Now, what possible reason could she have to do something so foolish?"

"I don't know," Celestia said as her eyes searched the spell longingly. "But...if she was trying to warn her past self about some mistake..."

Luna caught the wistfulness in Celestia's eyes and felt alarm bells go off in her head. "Celestia? What are you thinking?"

Celestia's eyes swam over the spell. "I was thinking, if a unicorn could go back a short distance in time for long enough to pass along a warning...perhaps an alicorn could go back farther, make the spell last long enough to deliver a truly clear message..."

"Sister," Luna said warningly.

"Think of it, Luna," Celestia said softly. "I could stop myself from...from driving Sunset Shimmer away..."

"Sister, no," Luna said imploringly. "This is a dangerous line of thought—"

"Isn't there something you regret?" Celestia asked. "Something you'd change?"

Luna paused, frowning. Bowing her head, she admitted, "I...suppose if I had it to do over again, perhaps I could avoid becoming Nightm—"

Both sisters were blown off their hooves by a powerful burst of silver-violet magic which crackled with electricity and buffeted the entire room with strong gusts of wind. As the magical light faded, they saw a robed, wrinkled unicorn stallion with a stiff scrub of bristly brown beard shot through with silver and white.

Celestia blinked. "Starswirl...?"

Starswirl regarded both of them calmly, then seized the spell scroll Celestia still held in his magic, rolled it up, and filed it away in its proper place on the shelf. "Knowledge is a dangerous thing," he said gravely. "Surely you have not forgotten the many times I imparted this wisdom upon you, Celestia."

Celestia scuffed the floor with a hoof. "But—"

Starswirl closed his eyes and shook his head. "Whatever foolishness the two of you were considering...giving in to your desires would irrevocably harm the future of Equestria." He looked the two of them over and gave them a soft, kind, sad smile. "You can never erase your mistakes, my old students. I'm sorry, but you must live with your pain and learn from it."

And in a crackle of electrically-charged magic, he was gone.

Celestia and Luna looked at one another. Celestia sighed. "He has a point," she admitted.

Luna bowed her head. "Perhaps...we should seal this wing together."

The alicorn sisters left the Starswirl the Bearded Wing several minutes later, hearts heavy with the missed opportunity to unburden themselves of old, painful regrets.

PreviousChapters Next