• Published 22nd May 2016
  • 5,976 Views, 244 Comments

Spike's Dragon Code for Cuddling - Kevinltk



Spike learns that he has to cuddle with his friends because of his dragon code.

  • ...
8
 244
 5,976

Royal Sisters

“Ack, not so tight, Spike! Let go of my neck! I can hardly breathe!”

“I will when we’re back on solid ground!”

Twilight flashed a frown at Spike, who was riding on her back, before directing her attention forward again. They were flying over the tall spires that dotted the city of Canterlot, aiming for the royal castle where they were invited to. Once Twilight made it to the castle’s outer walls, she began her descent toward one of the inner courtyards.

“Land!” Spike shouted with immense relief as he unbuckled the seatbelt strapping himself to his alicorn ride. Before Twilight even touched the ground, he jumped off of his steed and lowered his head to the earth. A quiet clunk made him pause before he sat up, quickly took off the hoofball helmet he was wearing, and then knelt back down to kiss the ground.

“Is that really necessary, Spike?” Twilight’s chiding voice reached Spike’s ears. “My flying is perfectly fine now. There’s no need to make a scene. Sometimes I wonder if you’re hanging around Rarity a bit too much.”

“Hey, I still have nightmares about when you first got your wings,” Spike replied as he finished worshipping the ground and got up. “I’m just glad that I've got some tough scales.”

Twilight merely rolled her eyes as a pair of royal guards, clad in their golden armor, marched up to her and Spike.

“Greetings, Princess Twilight, Sir Spike!” both guards said with a salute. One of them continued to say, “Princess Celestia is waiting for you in her study. Would you like us to escort you there?”

Twilight shook her head and gave the guards a friendly smile. “That’s alright. I know the way. Thank you both for your help,” she replied after grabbing Spike in her magic and placing him onto her back.

Due to their countless visits to the castle in the past, it did not take long before Twilight and Spike arrived at Celestia’s personal study. After knocking on the door and receiving a “Come in” from an all too familiar voice, Twilight opened the door with her magic and proceeded inside with Spike.

“Twilight, Spike, it’s so good to see you two. Thank you for coming,” Celestia greeted the pair with her gentle, motherly smile. She was standing to the side, busying herself with a tea set on a cart. “I just finished brewing the tea. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting you so soon, but one of my guards told me that they spotted you flying here, giving me some time to prepare.”

“Yeah, Twilight just couldn’t wait for a train when she received your letter,” Spike informed. He hopped off of Twilight’s back and seated himself on one of the comfy cushions that were laid out in the center of the room. “You know how she is when it comes to Star Swirl.”

Twilight blushed slightly as she took a seat next to Spike. “Well, it’s not every day that I get a chance to look at some newly-discovered works from Star Swirl the Bearded, plus I’m glad that I get the chance to visit you, Celestia.”

“Both of you are always welcome here,” Celestia said while she walked over to her visitors with her magic holding a tray carrying their tea. “You don’t need to wait for an invitation or for me to ask a favor like today to visit.”

“I know, I know. I just don’t want to disturb you in case you’re busy.”

Celestia placed the tray in the middle of the cushions and smiled. “I’m never too busy to see you, Twilight.”

Twilight’s blush grew more pronounced, and she smiled before hiding her face behind the offered teacup.

The three of them proceeded to enjoy their tea together. Along with the tea, there were a plate of sugar cookies, another plate containing a selection of cake slices, and even a small bowl of sapphires for Spike. For a while, they passed the time by exchanging news and small talk, happy just to spend time with each other. It was not until they were almost out of refreshments before Celestia set her teacup down, marking a shift in their conversation.

“I suppose it’s time I told you more about why I asked you two here,” Celestia stated. “I would like to ask one more thing before we move on though. I’m curious to know why Starlight Glimmer did not join us. I thought she was also interested in Star Swirl’s works.”

“She… Well…” Twilight paused. “She felt that she has had enough of Star Swirl for a long time, given her last, uh, use of one of his spells.”

“Ah…” Celestia nodded slowly and sighed. “Some things from the past are indeed hard to move on from. I have certainly found myself in the same situation more than a few times. I do hope that Starlight will be able to overcome her worries.”

“Starlight will be fine. I, Spike, and the rest of our friends are all supporting her.”

“That’s good to hear. And I assume she will be fine living in the Castle of Friendship by herself while you’re here?”

“Starlight is a grown mare. She can take care of herself, and I trust her.” Twilight chuckled lightly. “It’s not like she’s going to have some sort of wild party while I’m gone.”

Spike kept silent by stuffing his mouth full of sapphires. He had happened to glance back at the Castle of Friendship as he flew away with Twilight, and he noticed that Starlight was opening the castle doors for Pinkie so that she could roll in her party cannon and a cart full of cakes. He chose to keep that information to himself, partly because he wanted to let the others have their fun, and partly because it was material he could use against them in the future. Nothing like a little blackmail between good friends.

“Anyway, back to what I asked you here for, Twilight,” Celestia began again. “Maretonia recently donated a collection of books to the Royal Library, and among them were several works written by none other than Star Swirl the Bearded. Given your knowledge of him and his magic, I would like you to review Star Swirl’s books and help decide what we should do with them.”

Twilight cocked her head. “What do you mean? Shouldn’t they be archived in the Royal Library so others can view his work?”

“Maybe because they might contain spells that could change other ponies’ destinies, rewrite the past, or other fun stuff like that?” Spike pointed out.

Twilight blinked. “Oh… Right…”

“Spike is correct. Star Swirl experimented with many dangerous spells, so it is important that these new works are examined carefully so that we know how to properly deal with them. That’s where you come in, Twilight,” Celestia explained.

Twilight got up on her hooves with a confident smile and her chin held up high. “Don’t worry, Celestia, I won’t let you down! I’ll get started right away!”

Celestia used her magic to ring a bell that was resting on a nearby desk. A few seconds later, the door opened and a royal guard walked in.

“You called, Princess Celestia?” the guard asked with a salute.

Celestia nodded. “Could you show Twilight where we put the Maretonian shipment?”

“Certainly,” the guard complied with a bow. “Right this way, Princess Twilight.”

“Thank you,” Twilight replied to the guard, trotting over to the door. “Come on, Spike! There’s work to be done and lots of notes to take!”

“Yay…” Spike lifelessly uttered in a tone as though he was heading for his own execution.

“Actually, I would like Spike to stay here. I want to ask him to do something for me as well, if he is willing,” Celestia stated.

Twilight’s eyes bulged. “Oh my goodness, I almost forgot you mentioning that in your letter! I’m so sorry!”

“It’s alright, Twilight. I know that you’re excited to learn something new about Star Swirl. Go on ahead. Spike will be in good hooves, and I’ll be sure to check on you later.”

“R-right…” Twilight breathed a sigh of relief. “I’ll just be on my way then and leave you two be. I’ll see you both later!”

After waving goodbye as Twilight left with the guard, Spike looked back to Celestia, feeling a bit nervous. While he had done more than a few tasks for Celestia before, it had always been with Twilight. As far as he could recall, this was the first time Celestia wanted him to do something by himself. Taking a deep breath, he asked, “So, what’s up, Celestia? What can I do for you?”

“Well, it has to do with your recent discovery,” Celestia explained.

Spike cocked his head. “Recent discovery?”

“Twilight has sent me a few letters telling me about your little dragon code incident and its aftermath.”

“Oh.” Spike paused and blinked. “Oh…” Another pause and his eyes widened. “Oh…”

“I must say that she was very descriptive when she wrote about those events.”

Spike could feel his face heat up, and he was having trouble looking Celestia in the eye. “I-I see…” He cleared his throat to help regain some composure. “S-so, um, wild guess here, does this mean you want to me to cuddle?”

“If it would not be too much trouble.”

“O-of course not.” Spike took another deep breath, stood up straight, and put his hands on his hips. “I would be happy to cuddle with you, Celestia.”

Celestia smirked. “Oh, not with me, Spike.”

Spike visibly deflated and blinked. “Wait, what?”

“I would like you to try and cuddle with my sister instead.”

“You mean Luna? Uh, yeah, I can do that. Just curious though, why are you asking me on her behalf?"

Celestia sighed. “Because Luna has been working hard with all of her royal duties, no doubt as a way to make up for her past. And unlike me, who just goes to sleep during the night, Luna spends many hours patrolling the dreamscape and consoling ponies. While I am proud of her diligence, it also makes me worry for her.

"That’s why I am asking for your help. Given what I heard about your exploits, you spending some time with Luna would help relieve some of her stress.”

“Well, you can count on me, Celestia!” Spike proclaimed. “I’ll do whatever it takes to cuddle with your sister!” He paused and some of the confidence drained out of him. “Wow, that kind of sounds creepy.”

Celestia giggled before leaning forward to nuzzle Spike’s cheek. “Thank you, Spike.”

With his cuddling mission given, Spike was led through the castle’s halls again. It took more than a few minutes, partly due to Celestia stopping to pleasantly greet everypony they passed on the way, but they eventually arrived at an ornate door emblazoned with Luna’s cutie mark of the moon.

“This is Luna’s bedroom,” Celestia explained. “When she’s not in a meeting or doing her rounds, she’s in here, busy with paperwork. Do you need me to go in with you to help explain things?”

“Hmm…” Spike rubbed his chin in thought. “Actually, I think it might be better if I do it alone. We don’t want it to look like you’re telling her to cuddle with me.”

Celestia nodded. “A valid point, and I trust your expertise on this matter. I leave my sister in your hands, Spike. Good luck.” She gave Spike one last nuzzle before turning back the way they came.

Taking a deep breath, Spike knocked on the door. “Uh, Luna? It’s me, Spike.” A second later, he heard the faint sound of magic right as the door opened. Taking that as a welcome, he went right on in.

Luna’s room was like stepping into another world. True to her title of Princess of the Night, Luna had decorated her room with varying shades of dark-blue and hints of black, and with the dim lighting, it felt like it was already nighttime, despite the sun still shining through the curtained windows. The four corners of the room had curious light fixtures that resembled trees except they had lights at the end of their branches instead of leaves. Dominating the center of the room was a large replica of a white crescent moon affixed to a stand designed to look like clouds. The inside of the moon was carved out to fit a bed that was large enough to fit three or four alicorns.

“Spike, it is a pleasure to see you,” Luna greeted from the side, ending Spike’s sightseeing. He turned to see Luna, a soft smile on her face while she sat in front of a work desk. “I should thank you and Twilight for coming to help us. Forgive me for not being able to help welcome you both. I got caught up with my work, but I did plan to see you two after I finished this batch of forms.”

“Uh, no problem. Celestia did say you were busy.” Spike glanced at the stack of papers on the desk that was taller than him.

“So what brings you to my room? Is there something you need to help analyze Star Swirl’s work?”

“Actually, I, uh, came to see you. Twilight’s the one who knows all about Star Swirl, so she doesn’t really need my help. I thought it would be cool if I could see you and maybe hang out.”

Luna’s smile widened. “Spike, I am flattered that you wish to spend time with me.” She sighed and glanced over at the papers on her desk. “Unfortunately, I still have quite a bit of work left to do. My apologies, Spike, but I am afraid I would not make for good company at the moment.”

“Then why not just take a break, Luna? I’m sure those forms don’t need to be taken care of right this instant.”

“While I suppose that is technically correct, I see no reason to put off my work if I can help it. Matters are resolved quicker, and it also means I get to move on to the next task.” Luna paused upon seeing Spike’s shoulders sag and a forlorn frown crossing the dragon’s face. “Well, you did come all the way from Ponyville, and I suppose a short break is not out of the question.”

“Yes!” Spike cheered, his fists raised in the air in triumph.

Luna giggled. “Did you have something in mind for us?”

“I sure do!” Spike took a deep breath and fiddled with his fingers nervously. “Okay, now this might sound a bit weird, but, uh, would you like to… I don’t know… maybe cuddle with me?”

Luna’s eyebrow rose. “You wish to cuddle with me? And may I ask why you are suggesting such an activity?” she queried with an amused tone.

“Well, cuddling is just really awesome. When you’re doing it, it feels like the world melts away and all you can feel is the warmth and closeness of the pony you are with. It feels super good, and I guarantee that you’ll like it. I should know. I’ve been doing it a lot recently, and I mean a lot.”

Luna chuckled. “Ah yes, my sister told me about your recent activities. You seem to have quite the following. Does this mean I am just another pony in your cuddly conquest?”

Spike let out a nervous laugh. “Yeah, I guess it does sort of look like I’m going through a list of ponies to cuddle. But in all seriousness, I cuddle to help my friends feel better, and that includes you. After hearing how much you do for everypony, I figured it was time somepony did something for you.”

Luna got up to walk up to Spike and give him a one-hoofed hug. “Thank you, Spike. I am so happy to have friends like you.” She let Spike go and nodded. “Very well, I would be honored to cuddle with you, Spike. It has been so long since I indulged in the art of cuddling, and I am happy to have a noble dragon like you to do it with.”

“You won’t regret it,” Spike replied, mentally fistpumping that his cuddling persuasion skills were getting better while Luna took off her ornate shoes and led Spike to her moon bed.

When Spike and Luna climbed onto the bed, Spike promptly crawled over to Luna, only to pause when the alicorn raised a hoof.

“There is one thing before we start, Spike,” Luna informed. “While I am glad that we are doing this, I still have a work schedule to maintain. Is it alright if we restrict our cuddling time to about ten minutes?” She waved her hoof at the opposite wall where a small, wooden pendulum clock was hanging.

“Ten minutes? That’s it?” Spike asked incredulously.

“My apologies, Spike, but I do have a lot on my hooves at the moment. I would have cleared my schedule if I knew you wished to spend time with me. Tell you what; I would be glad to have a makeup session some other day when I am more free.”

Spike sighed. “I guess that’s fine… But don’t be afraid to ask for more today if you feel like it.”

“Duly noted.” Luna used her magic to take off her peytral and crown, setting them on a nearby nightstand. Scooping up Spike in her forehooves with a grin, she then lay on her side, resting her head on a pillow and with Spike still in her hooves. “Now, let the cuddling commence.”

Cuddling with Luna was a whole new experience for Spike. The most notable difference was that Luna was larger than his other friends. With his arms hugging Luna’s neck, his legs barely reached the middle of the alicorn’s belly. Despite the size difference, Spike quickly adjusted to his cuddling position and rested his head on close to the crook of Luna’s neck.

As Spike gently rubbed Luna’s neck with one claw, his attention shifted toward the alicorn’s mane. Even when lying on the bed, the mane continued to undulate, as though caught in a constant breeze. Reaching forward with a claw, he stroked the ethereal mane.

While he had felt Luna’s mane before, those were only just brief touches and were nothing compared to how his claw was submerged in the supernatural hair. A cool feeling wrapped around his claw, akin to when one takes a refreshing dip into a pool during a hot day. His claw also felt a constant, pleasant tingle, probably due to the magic that resided within in the mane. As he continued to stroke Luna’s mane, he marveled at how easily his claw glided through it, almost feeling like he was moving through liquid instead of strands of hair.

Judging by how Luna rested her chin on Spike’s head while humming happily after only a minute of his ministrations, she had swiftly taken to Spike’s cuddles and was thoroughly enjoying it. Spike had to admit that even though he could look past the crown to see Luna as a friend, there was a bit of a thrill knowing that his cuddling was being well-received by another princess.

Eventually, Spike’s gaze caught the clock on the wall. With a heavy sigh, he tapped Luna’s foreleg which was still wrapped around him. “Luna, it’s been ten minutes.”

Luna’s head backed away, a frown present on her face. “Is it already? It feels like we had just started.”

“Well, we could stay like this if you want.”

“No, no, I really should be getting back to work…” Despite her words, Luna remained where she was, her grip on Spike not loosening.

“Uh, Luna?”

“But I suppose another five minutes could not hurt, right?”

Spike grinned. “Whatever works for you, Luna.”

Luna responded by nuzzling into the top of Spike’s head, sighing with contentment. However, the extra five minutes disappeared in a flash.

“Luna, it—”

“Five more minutes.”

Like before, five more minutes came and gone.

“Luna.”

“F-five more.”

“…”

“Do not give me that look.”

“…”

“Fine, ten more minutes!”

After another ten minutes passed, Spike knew that he had to speak up.

“Luna…”

“Just give us—”

“Luna, just take the day off or something. You know you want it. Besides, all these interruptions are making it difficult to really enjoy our cuddling.”

Luna was silent for a few seconds before she sighed and tightened her grip on Spike. “I have been acting a tad foolish, haven’t I? This is far more enjoyable than I had anticipated. I had forgotten what it was like. I suppose my work can wait for one more night. Confound you and your cuddling ways, Spike.”

Spike and Luna stayed in their cuddly embrace for a few hours, relishing in the warmth and comfort they offered each other. That all came to a screeching halt when a knock on the door made them pull apart and sit upright in a flash. However, they both let out an audible sigh of relief when the door opened to reveal Celestia.

“Oh, it’s just you,” Luna remarked.

“Yes, just me,” Celestia dryly repeated, smiling softly. “I just wanted to check up on you two. I take it that the both of you are having a pleasant time?”

Luna nodded. “Spike has been showing me the wonders of cuddling. Thank you, sister, for asking him to spend time with me.”

Celestia’s eyes widened slightly while Spike had a more noticeable response when he cried out, “You knew?!”

Luna giggled. “I heard somepony talking outside my door earlier, so I used a listening charm to see who it was. Imagine my surprise when I overheard my sister arranging a playdate for me with a dragon.”

“So you were just playing along?” Spike asked.

Luna nodded. “I only heard that you were going to spend some time with me, and I did not want to turn you away without at least greeting you. I must say that I did not expect a cuddling, but I certainly do not regret what has transpired.”

The faintest tinge of red had graced Celestia’s cheeks. “Forgive me, Luna. I was just hoping Spike could help you relax, even if just for a few moments. You’re always working, so I often worry that you’re pushing yourself too hard.”

“Tia, thank you for the concern, but I am fine. It is not like a little paperwork is going to do me any harm.”

Spike pointed at the tall stack of papers on the work desk. “Uh, a little?”

Luna rolled her eyes. “Regardless, it is not like anypony is complaining.”

“Actually, they are, Luna,” Celestia explained. “Some of the officials are saying that they have nothing to do because you’re taking all of their work.”

Luna blinked. “I… I was not aware of that.”

“Working hard is good and all, but you have to know when you’re taking on too much,” said Spike. “Everypony needs time for themselves to rest and relax. You can’t do everything by yourself. Remember the Tantabus incident?”

Luna’s eyes shifted back and forth between her work desk, Celestia’s stern face, and Spike’s worried gaze. After a few moments, she sighed heavily. “I suppose I have been overdoing things a tad.”

Celestia nodded. “We have plenty of capable ponies working in the castle who would be happy to help you, sister. It would ease my worries if you delegate some of your work to them.”

“I shall, sister. I guess that I am still worried that I might be a burden on others.”

Spike patted Luna’s side and gave her a comforting smile. “You’re totally not a burden, Luna. You do all sorts of awesome stuff for Equestria.”

Celestia trotted over to the bed to nuzzle Luna. “Spike is right. There are so many ponies that are thankful for what you do, and the last thing they want to hear is that you’re exhausting yourself from working too much.”

Luna nuzzled Celestia back while also petting Spike’s head. “Thank you both. I guess I should figure out what I am going to do with my free time now.”

“You could try more cuddling?” Spike offered.

Luna’s eyes widened. “Now, that is a very compelling idea. I demand that we celebrate my new free time with more cuddles, posthaste!”

Spike did not resist when Luna picked him up once again in her forehooves and clutched him tightly to her chest. Even though he felt like he was being treated as a stuffed animal, he was more than okay with his current position.

Celestia giggled. “Very well then. I shall leave you two and check up on Twilight again. She has been making excellent progress.” She headed for the door, but she was startled when it was suddenly slammed shut by a familiar dark-blue aura. “Luna?”

“You know, you are a bit of a hypocrite, sister,” Luna stated with a coy smile. “You say that I work too much, but you are guilty of the same crime.”

Celestia frowned. “What? I do not spend all day in my study doing paperwork.”

“While that may be true, there are many other tasks that you do. Meeting ambassadors, giving lectures at your school for gifted unicorns, making appearances at many events, to name a few. You always did prefer a more hooves-on approach.”

“Your point, Luna?”

“If I am going to be reducing my workload, you should also take some time off. Like you said, there are plenty of ponies that are capable of fulfilling some of your duties.” Luna’s smug tone faded, and she smiled warmly. “I would very much like to enjoy my free time with my sister.”

Celestia’s eyes widened, and after a moment, a wide smile sprouted across her face. “You drive a hard bargain, Luna, but perhaps I can rearrange my schedule to meet your demands.” Her horn glowed, and a quill hastily scribbled something on a blank piece of parchment before disappearing in a flash of light. “Done.”

“Splendid, and for our first activity together, we shall all cuddle together.” Luna glanced down at Spike. “If that is alright with you, Spike.”

“Cuddling with two princesses?” Spike smirked. “Can’t really get better than that.”

Having reached a common cuddling consensus, Celestia trotted back to the moon bed, using her magic to remove her crown, peytral, and shoes on the way. Celestia then hopped onto the bed, joining Luna as they lay on their sides. Facing each other, they placed Spike between them and interlocked their forehooves around him.

“Huzzah, the cuddling has been doubled!” Luna cheered.

Celestia leaned forward so that she could place her chin on top of Luna’s head. In turn, Luna rested her own head on Spike’s once again, the three of them forming a sort of cuddling totem pole with their heads.

Spike noticed that the tip of Celestia’s mane happened to have fallen close to one of his claws. Unable to resist, he reached over and began fondling the mane. Like Luna’s, Celestia’s mane buzzed with magic, and Spike’s claw waded through it as though it was water. Unsurprisingly, Spike felt warmth surrounding his claw, a contrast to the coolness of Luna’s mane.

Celestia’s hairs felt so smooth and silky when she rubbed against Spike. Spike realized that Luna’s hairs were of a similar texture, and he began to wonder if their soft hairs were a result of their alicorn magic or having access to haircare products that would make even Rarity jealous.

Spike nuzzled into Celestia’s chest. He remembered that during his younger years, he would sometimes get the opportunity to be cuddled and cradled by Celestia during some of Twilight’s lessons. In a way, Celestia was kind of like his third mother, behind Twilight’s own mother and Twilight herself. While he weaned himself out of those embraces as he grew, his recent cuddling agenda made him realize how much he missed those times. Judging by how tightly Celestia seemed to hold onto him, she had similar thoughts.

Sandwiched between two alicorns, Spike was in bliss. He loved being surrounded by the cuddly bodies of ponies, and the soft hairs brushing his sides sent warmth and fuzzy feelings throughout his entire body. Both alicorns held onto him tightly, smothering Spike with snuggles. Spike responded by hooking his arms under the alicorns’ forehooves, hugging them closer to his body. To top it all off, both alicorns extended a wing and draped them over each other as well as the dragon between them, forming a feathery blanket for Spike.

A few hours of cuddling bliss later, the trio of cuddlers were interrupted by a soft thump. Spike, Luna, and Celestia raised their heads to find that Twilight was peeking from behind the other end of the bed.

“H-hi,” Twilight greeted with a sheepish smile. When the bed’s inhabitants continued to silently stare at her, she added, “Um, I finished going through Star Swirl’s stuff, and the guards said you all were here. Since I don’t have anything else to do now…” She looked expectantly at the trio with wide eyes.

Spike, Luna, and Celestia glanced at each other, smiled, and then nodded to Twilight.

Twilight let out a delighted squee before she hastily hopped onto the bed. Celestia and Luna raised their wings so that Twilight could rest on top of their joined bodies before draping them over the latecomer.

With another pair of alicorn hooves wrapping around him and seeing that they were all starting to doze off from all the pleasant cuddling, Spike had a feeling that he and Twilight were going to be staying in Canterlot a bit longer than they had estimated.

And that was perfectly alright with him.