• Published 24th May 2016
  • 2,806 Views, 72 Comments

Rainbow Rocks: Friendship Makes Magic - ImNoPony



Set in an alternate universe, Human Twilight protects her school from the Dazzlings

  • ...
8
 72
 2,806

Chapter 2- Past Mistakes

A couple of days later, two girls were studying vigorously in the school library. Sunset, who was doing general school stuff, and Twilight, who trying to memorize a few song lyrics. Sitting side by side, they were trying their best to wrap their heads around their respective works.

However, Sunset just managed to get ahead of Twilight and stopped just so she can have a breather. When she saw Twilight having some slight difficulty memorizing, she says to her: "It must be tough memorizing all those words?"

Twilight jumped when her thoughts went back into the waking world. When she realized Sunset said something to her, Twilight replies: "Yeah, it sort of is." But then, she then grabs a separate sheet and says: "But then again, if we use Rainbow Dash's song; things would be much easier. She would have all the "complex" lines while the rest of use just shouts "Hey". Both girls had such a good chuckle, Cheerlie the librarian had to shoosh them.

Once the girls had their laugh, a sudden sombreness mood came over Sunset Shimmer. "Hey... Do you think the guys really want me?"

Shocked, Twilight asks her: "What! Why would you say that?"

"Well, it just that... everyone seems that they want to invite you to places while they hardly remember me. It's like that they only let me hang with them just so they can be polite." Sunset explains.

"What! That isn't true" Twilight replies. However, despite how much she would like to disagree, she knows that there is some truth to that. She can remember the numerous times where she had to remind her friends to invite Sunset as well when they were reluctant to let her join their group. When she see Sunset isn't convinced, Twilight tells her: "You need to stop worrying about this Sunset. They all are our friends and I know that they won't leave you behind." Sunset was still doubtful, but she is willing to believe.

As the two were having a touching moment, both suddenly heard the bell ring and signaling that it was the end of the period. As they were getting up from their seats, Twilight ask Sunset: "Hey, I heard that all the bands who joined the showcase will be at the gym today working on posters. I'm heading there right now. Would you like to come along?"

However, Sunset reply: "Hmm... Maybe later? Principals told me that some new students are arriving today and I have to show them around."

Becoming happily surprised, Twilight tells her: "Oh Wow! Good luck. I'm sure you would make a great first impression."

"Thanks, Twilight" replied an appreciative Sunset. Once they were out of the library, the two friends depart and head into separate directions. As she walking alone, Sunset slowly became nervous and worried about what might happen. However, she pushes that aside and began hoping for the best.

_ _ _ _ _

As she was making her way to the main hall, Sunset was becoming curious on what the new students are gonna be. The only thing that she knows about them is that it's gonna be three students and that will be "great additions to the school" (as described by Celestia and Luna). She is more concerned about what their hobbies and interests are, and more importantly if they are friendly enough to be her friends. As she was about to reach her destination, Sunset just has to see for herself.

When she arrived at the hall, Sunset quickly looks around to find the new students. She didn't have to look long however as she quickly spots three brightly colored girls standing by the main doors. They appeared to be discussing something amongst themselves and look like they were planning something. There was a girl with bright puffy hair and she tries to act like their leader. The 2nd girl has slightly darker colors with pig-tails (in fact, the colors reminded Sunset of Twilight) and looks very angry and resilient. The last girl, on the other hand, was blue and looks like she is lost within her own little world. Honestly, Sunset didn't know what to expect and when they spotted her she jumped. However, she sucked up her courage and try to be optimistic.

When she walked over towards them, Sunset cheerfully says to them: "Hi! Are you the girls that I'm supposed to show around?"

After a quick glance at each other, the girl with the puffy hair step forward and reply: "Yes, we are."

Trying to keep her cool, Sunset tells them: "Well, it's nice to meet you. My name is Sunset Shimmer." She then extends her arm and sees if she can get a handshake from them.

"Charmed" the girl politely reply as she gave the handshake. "I'm Adagio Dazzle and these two are... kind of like sisters."

"Sisters?" snarked the girl with the pig-tails.

After giving a cold glare at her, Adagio then try to introduce them. "The girl who just spoke is called Aria and the other one is named Sonata."

"HI!" waved Sonata very cheerfully.

"Um... hey?" Sunset replied, caught off guard by Sonata's cheerfulness.

But then, Aria came up and whisper into Sunset's ear: "And by the by; we're not actually sisters."

"Oh Give It A Rest Aria!" Adagio yelled in frustration.

"Um... that's ok?" Sunset responded. "I'm just glad that you picked Canterlot High." Once they were all calmed down, she then says to them: "Here, let me show you around the school." Even though not all of them were too enthusiastic about it, they all nether the less follow Sunset around the school.

As they were walking, Sunset tries to tell the girls a bunch of different things about the school. She said stuff like: "That's the cabinet where the school keeps all of its trophies" or "That way leads to all the different classrooms". However, neither Adagio, Aria or Sonata was excited by all of this. Sunset was slowly losing hope until she shows them the next point of interests.

As they all came through an intersection of the school, Sunset points towards one hallway and says: "And down there; you will find the cafeteria."

Suddenly, Sonata became excited and ask her: "Ooh! What kind of food do you serve her?"

Searching her mind, Sunset responded: "Um... I think they're serving tacos today?" Sonata started squeeing upon hearing it. Even though both Adagio and Aria were annoyed by it, Sunset was glad that she at least made one of them happy.

However, that was short-lived as the tour went back into silence. Sunset tried her best to keep them all captivated, but they all acted like they weren't very interested in the school. Sunset didn't know what else to do and wished that she has something else to talk about.

But then, as they were walking, Aria stopped as she spotted something on the wall. "What's this?" she asks out loud. Everyone then stopped and saw Aria looking at a poster. "Canterlot's High Musical Showcase?"

Seeing this as her chance, Sunset quickly came over and states: "Ah, Yes! That's a school event that is coming up in a few days."

"What is it?" Aria curiously ask.

Sonata interjects and says: "Well obviously it some sort of battle of the bands."

But as Sonata was feeling smart with herself, Sunset explains: "Oh No No No! It just an event where everybody just come together and plays music."

"Really? Now it doesn't sound fun anymore" Aria bluntly retorts.

While Sunset was initially upset by that remark, Adagio quickly added: "However, it does sound like something that would be interesting." As she said it, Adagio was rubbing her hands and look like she was scheming something.

Sunset tries to ignore the evil expression and try to be polite. "Oh! So you all like music?" she asks curiously.

Aria nonchalantly responds: "Well, we have been known to sing from time to time."

However, Sonata then quickly added: "Well Duh! We sing like all the time. That's how we get people to do what we want." Sunset instantly became confused by that remark and Aria and Adagio quickly became angry at Sonata.

Being very quick to fix Sonata's mistake, Adagio came between Sunset and Sonata and tells her: "What they meant to say was that we're singers and people just like listening to us. Isn't that right Sonata?"

Sonata was confused, but after Aria gave her a slight shove, she quickly responds: "YES! Th-That is what I meant to say."

Aria then silently remarks: "And what you would have said if you weren't stupid."

Offended, Sonata yell back: "NO! You're Stupid!"

But then, before Sunset was worried that they were about to have a fight, Adagio try to broke them up. She tells Sunset: "Don't worry about these two. They're both stupid."

"HEY!" yelled both Aria and Sonata.

Sunset was shocked by this and seeing how these girls treat each other. She was half expecting that all of them would get into a loud argument in the hall. However, despite how angry they are with each other, they stayed relatively cooled and weren't fighting. "Maybe it was just a part of their group dynamic," she thought to herself. The only they that Sunset could do was laugh awkwardly.

But then, as she was trying to think of something else, Sunset notice the girls were twiddling something around their necks. She saw bright red jewels and they look pretty exquisite. Curious, Sunset instinctively reaches out her hand and ask them: "Ooh, those look pretty. Can I have a loo... "

However, before she could, Adagio quickly grab Sunset's arm and didn't let it come any closer. When both girls realized what they were doing, they quickly retract and feel quite embarrassed. "Sorry about that" Adagio apologized. "These pendants are very important to use. Kind of like family heirlooms."

"I'm sorry too" Sunset apologize as well.

But then, as they calm down and try to put that into the past, a voice suddenly appeared. "I'd be careful if I was you." When they all look around and see who it was, they quickly spot Trixie nearby as well as two girls who were her entourage/bandmates. While Adagio, Aria, and Sonata were confused by this sudden appearance, Sunset was hoping that something like this wasn't going to happen.

"What do you want Trixie?" Sunset asks dreadfully.

Trixie response was: "I'm just making sure that you won't get your evil little claws into these nice, new transfer students."

Trying to keep her cool, Sunset says to her: "Look Trixie; I'm not trying to be mean or plotting something dastardly. I'm just showing these new students around the school and that's it."

"You would say that, wouldn't you" Trixie retorted. As she smuggling got up to Sunset's face, she says to her: "You try to make everybody think that "you changed" or "you're a better person now". But we all know that you're the same Sunset Shimmer that the school loves to hate."

Sunset tries her best to remain calm and composed, but Trixie's harsh words dug deep within her. She couldn't believe that she said something like that despite how hard she tries to change her image. It really upset her. However, Adagio, Aria, and Sonata was witnessing all of this and didn't like what they were seeing. They didn't know what was going on and they wouldn't even care in a situation like this, but they couldn't stand to watch this for some reason. As they didn't expect it, Aria came up behind Trixie. "Yeah... Back-Off!" she yelled before she pulls Trixie aside.

Trixie's two groupies quickly grab her before she could be slammed into some lockers. Shocked by this, Trixie yells to them: "Hey! I'm Trying To Help You!"

But Adagio quickly replies: "And we very much appreciates it. However, we don't need it and you can be on your way."

Upset by how they treated her, Trixie turns away and says to them: "Fine! This Was None Of Our Business Anyway!"

"If this was none of your business, why did you came over and try to "help" us?" sincerely asked Sonata. And with Sonata's literal question, Trixie became even angrier and Adagio and Aria were even more amused.

Sunset was left speechless. She never expected them to help her out like that. Sure, they were rougher than she would have liked it, but she still appreciated the help. Once Trixie and her groupies were finally gone, Sunset says to all of them: "Wow... thank you guys."

They all then turn back around towards Sunset and they looked like that they just remembered her. After a moment, Aria nonchalantly replies: "Eh... Whatever. It was no skin off our backs."

As she saw Sunset looking like she was still "shaken-up" by the experience, Adagio kindly says to her: "You know what, I think we can find our way around from here. You go do whatever it is you like doing and we search the school for ourselves."

"Really?" Sunset asks confusingly. Once she sees that they were confident with this, she hesitantly replies: "Um... ok?" As she was about to head off, she says to them: "I just hope you have a nice stay at Canterlot High."

"Don't worry, we will" Adagio reply.

They all waited until Sunset was gone. Once she did, Adagio quickly let go of her facade. "Oh-My-Gosh! I can't believe we helped somebody else like that" she said as she thinks out loud.

Aria groaned and responded: "I know, tell me about."

Sonata, think that was literal, says to her: "Ok, first; a girl named Trixie arrived and says..."

However, before she could continue, Aria blocked her mouth and tells her: "I was being sarcastic."

Once her mouth was free, Sonata quickly apologizes. "sorry."

_ _ _ _ _

Meanwhile, in the gymnasium, all the bands that joined are working on their preparations for the showcase. Some bands were working on posters and other promotional materials for their bands, others were just tuning their instruments and making sure that they're up to stuff. One other amazing thing that was happening was that groups were opening sharing things with one another and giving out advice. One group would see another that was having slight difficulty, offer some support and they would return the favor. As Principal Celestia Luna was monitoring and supervising the whole room, they are just proud of their students for acting like this.

And off onto one of the sides, Twilight and her friends were working on their own preparations. Rarity and Pinkie Pie was working and designing some posters, Rainbow Dash was bragging to anybody that walks that her band; "The Rainbooms" are awesome while Fluttershy and Applejack are making supply runs. Meanwhile, Twilight was by herself and still trying to memorize her lyrics. She would have them all pat down by now, but she is a slight perfectionist to this sort of thing and doesn't want to forget a thing.

And then, a voice appeared and tries to talk to her. "Hey, Twilight." The voice made Twilight jumped and make her lose her concentration. When she see who it was, she discovers that it was Flash Sentry. Flash Sentry is a popular boy at school and nearly all of the girls find him attractive. He has a massive crush on Twilight which would make any girl jealous, but Twilight seems like the only girl who isn't swayed by his good looks and currently only sees him as a friend. However, through Flash's persistent efforts, Twilight is slowly growing to like him more but there's no way she is going to admit it.

Trying to be polite, Twilight replies: "Oh hi Flash. What do you want?"

Flash responds: "I heard that you finally joined a band and I'm just wondering if you need any help?"

"Wait!? Where have you heard that I'm in a band?"

"I read about it in Pinkie's blog." Flash then takes out his and shows Twilight of said blog. In it, Twilight read

:pinkiehappy:"AAAAHH! Twilight Has Finally Joined Our Band! Watch Out Showcase! The Rainbooms Are Gunna Rock Your House!":pinkiehappy:

Twilight then give an angry stair at Pinkie who realized that she made Twilight mad. Deciding not to get too upset, Twilight tries to ignore the blog thing and turn back to Flash.

Flash says to her: "And you know; since I'm in a band already, I'll be happy to share any tips or secrets that I learned over the years."

However, Twilight unfortunately reply to him: "*chuckle* Thanks for the offer Flash, but I don't think I need it. I pretty sure I got these lyrics down pat by now."

Flash, upon hearing her response, was disappointed that he couldn't help her (again). However, he tries to stay face and acts like he's proud of her. "Well that's great," he says. "Well if there is anything that you need help with, just let me know." As he walks back off, he says to Twilight: "And I Hope That The Rainbooms Will Be Great At The Showcase!"

"Thanks" Twilight responded. "And I hope... Wait? What's the name of your band again?"

Flash was frozen, shocked that she forgot the name of his band. He calmly tells her: "Flash Drive!"

"Oh... I hope Flash Drive does great too!" Once Flash Sentry was gone, Twilight notice that her friends were giving her cheeky looks at her. Angry, she yells to all of them: "Get Back To Work!"

A few moments later, Pinkie and Rarity finished their poster and stop and have a breather. When she looked up, Pinkie saw Sunset Shimmer walking in through the door. Excited, she quickly tells her friends: "Hey! Sunset Here!" and then yells out to Sunset: "HEY! WE'RE OVER HERE!" It took her mere moments for Sunset to spot where her friends were and cheerfully walk towards (albeit ignoring any cold stairs that she gets along the way.

When Sunset reached them, Applejack asks her: "Hey, Twilight says that you were showing some new students around the school. How did it go?"

"It went... ok" Sunset replied. "Trixie did found me and tried to spill the beans, but the new girls surprisingly ignored her."

"Well, at least they sound like good people" Rainbow Dash commented.

However, Sunset replies: "Yeah, they were nice an' all, but... I don't know? I just had a weird feeling about them?"

Confused, Twilight asks: "Really? like how?"

However, before Sunset could answer, Pinkie interrupts her and says: "Was it the kind of feeling that you met them before and you were just having day-ja-voo? Or was it like a tingling at the back of the neck and you can't explain why?" When she said it, she began to ticking Rarity's back and cause her to laugh.

"OOOH! PINKIE, STOP!" Rarity cried before she softly pushes Pinkie away.

After Pinkie was stopped, Sunset finally replied: "... I guess the second one, but maybe I'm just being paranoid?" Everyone wasn't sure on what to think, but they guess that they agree with Sunset about being paranoid. Once she finally let out her thoughts, Sunset cheerfully asks them: "Anyway, is there any jobs left that I can do?"

The girls look at everything around and quickly saw that they have everything under control. No more posters are needing to be made and there is nothing else that can be done for them. However, as they were trying to thinking of something that Sunset could do, Applejack quickly spotted some of in the distance. She tells her: "I think we got everything down here Sunset. However, I think our sisters might need your help?"

Everyone then looks at the direction that Applejack was facing and saw Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. They call themselves "The Crusaders" and they are the sisters of Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash respectively (although Rainbow Dash is just a big sister figure to Scootaloo since they aren't related). They saw that they are working on one big banner and they don't even look close to finishing. Not mind helping them, Sunset shrugs and decide to head over and some of her friends follow her.

When she reached them, Sunset stood over them and produced a big enough shadow for the girls to notice her. When they look up and saw her, Sunset ask them: "Would you like some help?"

Shocked and surprised upon seeing Sunset, Apple Bloom quickly replies: "Uh... No thanks, we're good."

However, a disappointed Applejack tells her: "Oh come on Apple Bloom. At least give her a chance."

"But... She's Sunset Shimmer!" says Scootaloo as she cries out.

"Now girls, that's not the way to be nice," says Fluttershy as she tries to be a stern mother to them.

The Crusaders were still very reluctant to let Sunset help them. However, as they see their role models being stern with them, Sweetie Belle begrudgingly admits. "Oh Fine! She can help." Sunset was sort of happy that they lettering her join them, however, she instead feels more guilty that it was by force. When she sat down to their level, Sweetie pass her a cup full of paint and a brush.

However, before she has a chance to get to work, Celestia's yelled out across the room. "May I Have Everyone's Attention Please!" she cried out and grabbing her student's attention. Once everyone in the gym was looking at their principal, Celestia says to all of them: "I just would like to state how happy and proud I am seeing you all working together like this. I can not remember the last time we had a Showcase that was this lively before. In fact, I'm sure this will be Canterlot High's Best Musical Showcase Yet!" When she finished speaking for a sec, everyone in the room began cheering and just showing off their excitement. "This will be your chance to show off any hidden talents that you may have!" When she said that, Rainbow Dash gave her friends a cheeky grin that they know that they have a "hidden talent" that they would like to show off.

Celestia then adds: "This will be Canterlot High's most exciting event since the Fall... " However, before she could finish, Celestia suddenly began hearing somebody shooshing her. When she looked around in confusion, she saw Twilight and her friends, signaling her not to finish her sentence. Celestia was confused at first, but then she notices that everybody else was slowly giving Sunset cold and angry stairs and making her feel ashamed and embarrassed. Realizing how mentioning the Fall Formal would make everybody feel, Celestia try to think up another example. "... The most exciting event since... uh..."

When she sees that her sister was having trouble thinking up a replacement event to say, Vice Principal Luna then whispers something into Celestia's ear. Realizing on what to say, Celestia then proudly claims: "Since that time where Rainbow Dash score that winning goal against Crystal Prep during freshmen year!"

At first, all the student was confused that Celestia mentioned an old event that happens a few years ago. However, they soon remember that it was one of few times that Canterlot High had won a match (any match) against Crystal Prep. Twilight was amazed that she mentioned something relating to her old school while Rainbow Dash's ego grew steadily as she remembers her past glory. At least they were glad that she didn't mention something that would remind them all of some hard turmoil. Even Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom realized that the Fall Formal was a hard event for Sunset to think about.

But meanwhile, as all the bands went back and began working on their projects again, Adagio, Aria, and Sonata were spying into the gym and imagining some big things that they have in store for the school.

Author's Note:

Well this was a long chapter to write. That was mainly because I couldn't decide how much stuff that I want to squize into this chapter.

The main reason is that I want to have this story to have roughly the same number of chapter as my last big fanfic (I.E: Around 12 chapters if you don't include the bonue chapters). That would mean I have to balance out how much stuff that I want to have in one perticular chapter. Although, I could might as well ignore this challange and only put in enough events to make the chapter fulfilling but not too cramped.

Anyway, onto some other author's notes:

The title "Past Mistake" was just meant to high light that this chapter was when Sunset Shimmer remebers some of the events that she don't like to remember.

I also wanted to change certain aspects up while Sunset Shimmer was giving the Dazzlings a tour of the school. Namely; letting the dazzlings introduce themselves and squizing in that "Taco's Tuesday" joke. The first one was because, during the movie; The Dazzling never had a chance to introduce their names to everyone (which lead to nobody mentioning Aria's name). As for the second, I just want to give a unique spin on a joke which I never found interesting or funny to begin with.

Also, my favorite part in this chapter was the stuff that happned in the gym. From Flash mentioning Pinkie's blog (a joke that carried over from my last story(which was a joke that originally came from the Rainbow Rocks movie)) to Celestia trying her best not to mentioning the Fall Formal. Not only was this my chance to make my story be different from the movie, but it also help demostrate why I wan this story to be part comedy.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Feel free to leave a coment or point out any mistakes I may have made. Remember, if I don't realize that I made a mistake, I won't have a chance to fix it or improve my writing skills.