• Published 24th May 2016
  • 2,806 Views, 72 Comments

Rainbow Rocks: Friendship Makes Magic - ImNoPony



Set in an alternate universe, Human Twilight protects her school from the Dazzlings

  • ...
8
 72
 2,806

Bonus Chapter 1- Finding The Rainbooms

Rainbow Rocks Short: Guitar Centered

Cloudsdale Mall, one of the most popular shopping centers in the city. A fair number of students often hang around the weekend to either shop, work or hang out with friends. Even Rarity's very own store: "Carousel Boutique" is just a few blocks away from here. With a store that suits for most shoppers, Cloudsmall Mall is a popular hotspot for teens or young adults to hang.

And on one of the escalators, Rainbow Dash and a few of her friends is climbing up to the music store. "Ok, so let me get this straight... " says Rarity to Rainbow Dash. "You are looking for a new guitar, so you form a band so you can take part in the musical showcase?"

Rainbow Dash proudly admits: "Yep!"

Rarity remarks: "You do know that the show case is not a contest, right?"

"What! I totally know that!" Rainbow Dash lied. To avoid any similar questions, Rainbow then asks back: "Do you have a problem with that?"

"Of course not" she replied. "I'm just curious, that's all."

"Yeah well, I already have AJ agreed to be my base. Isn't that right, Applejack!?"

"Yep" AJ replies.

"Yeah, so once I can find somebody who can play the drums, I'll be all set."

"You forgot one thing darling" Rarity retorted.

Confused, Rainbow asks: "Really! What?"

After giving off a quick smirk, Rarity loudly exclaims: "An Outfit Designer!" After getting pass the loud yell, everyone just rolled their eyes.

Once they got to the top, they quickly round the music store. Inside, Vinyl Scratch was pleasantly waiting behind the counter for customers as she is listening to her music through her headphones. As the girls enter the store, Rainbow tells Rarity: "Well the first thing first, I need to replace my old guitar."

"Whatever for, darling?"

Once she place the guitar case that she brought along on the counter, Rainbow opened it and shows everyone it's content. Inside was a broken guitar that was completely wrecked. All the strings were broke, a few tuning pegs were missing and the huge, noticeable injury of a broken neck. Everyone was shocked upon seeing it.

"Oh Dear!... " yelled Rarity and sounding frightened.

"Holy-Moly!" yelled Pinkie Pie in surprise. Even Vinyl when saw the guitar even give off a surprising whistle.

Shocked, Rarity asks: "Dash! What Did You Do To This Guitar!?"

Rainbow Dash embarrassingly admits: "Well... I was practicing and I slowly imagined myself at a live performance." Everyone quickly put 2 and 2 together. Seeing her friend’s disappointment, she tells them: "Well I know that I won't make that mistake again."

"You'd better" says Applejack.

Once she gave her old guitar to Vinyl, Rainbow then went off into the store and look for her new instrument. "Ok, so what to choose from?"

Pinkie then rushes around the store and begin looking for different guitars for Rainbow Dash. When she went back, she brought with her a guitar that was meant for children. "How about this one?" she asks.

"Nah, Too short."

Pinkie then went back and brought another guitar. "How about this one?" she asked again.

"Nah. That looks too heavy." And with that, Pinkie fell over due to the weight of the guitar. When she was somewhat unhappy, Rainbow tells everyone: "I want a guitar that is right for me. A guitar that screams "Rainbow Dash!" A guitar that is... “But then, she saw one that she likes. "... One That Is Awesome!"

Off on a wall, Rainbow Dash has just spotted cool red double-neck guitar sitting proudly on the wall. Rainbow didn't know what the technical name for it or even sure if she can play it. However, she believes that she can be the coolest girl at the showcase if she has it and has made up her mind on getting it. But when she rushes over and grabs one of the necks, she saw somebody else grabbing the other neck. When she saw who else that grabbed it, Rainbow became surprise on who it is.

"Trixie!"

"Rainbow Dash!"

Every girl in the store became surprised, confused and a little bit amazed by this turn of events. Trixie is another girl from Canterlot High. and they believe that she is in the same year as them. She is well known as a stage magician and doing amazing feats of "magic", as well as having a rather large ego to boot. A confused Rainbow asks her: "What are you doing here Trixie?"

Trixie replies: "I am getting instruments for the band that I am forming: "Trixie and the Illusions." What are you doing here Rainbow Dash?"

"I'm getting instruments for my band; Rainbow Dash and the... Um... " Rainbow Dash stuttered. She hadn't really come up with a name for her band yet and didn't thought about it until now. In a rush to come up with a clever name, she says: "The Rainbooms!"

"Rain-Brooms?" Trixie jokingly remarks.

"No! Rain-Boom! As in explosions" Rainbow angrily reiterate. She then tugs on the guitar and says to Trixie: "And if you excuse me, I'm going to get this guitar for the musical showcase."

"No, I Am Getting It For The Showcase!" she remarks as she tug the guitar back to her. "I already came up, like, 5 different tricks I can do with this guitar!"

"Like What!? Sawing It In Half!?"

As both girls began to look coldly into each other's eyes and almost have a go at tug-of-war with the guitar, Rarity appears and tries to break-up the tension. "Girls, Please! There must be a civilized way to solve this dispute." Even though they are still tense to each other, Rainbow and Trixie did calm down to find another solution.

"Ok... like what?"

As the girls try to come up with a good idea, Pinkie thought out loud to everyone: "Well... We are in a music store." After Rainbow and Trixie look around them and saw scattered guitars that were around, both of them came up with the same idea. Since they both want to be rock-stars, they think that they should settle it like rock-stars.

Rainbow Dash asks: "Shred-off?"

"Shred On!" Trixie replied.

Aside from Pinkie and Vinyl who excited for the shred-off, AJ and Rarity groaned, rolled their eyes and couldn't believe that this is the direction that they were heading. After the double-neck guitar was passed to Vinyl, Trixie grabbed a guitar that was nearby and Pinkie handed Rainbow a nice blue one. Once the guitars become connected to some nearby amps, the two girls began to "rock."

Rainbow Dash and Trixie then do increasingly good chords and try to out play the other. Everyone else was happily listen to the musical contest that were underway. Even the few who didn't totally approve were even enjoying themselves. Both Rainbow and Trixie were giving it all they got, but Trixie eventually went into the lead. But then, when Rainbow Dash decided that she wouldn't give up, a magic spark was light and magic began to emanate. To the amazement of everyone, Rainbow began to float into the air, wings sprout out of her and grew pony ears and a pony-tail. Once her transformation, Rainbow then slam down to the ground and ripped a wicked guitar shred that blew everyone away (more figuratively then literally).

"Yeah!" yelled a proud Rainbow Dash. However, she soon notices that everyone was completely speechless. "What?"

Managed to find the right words to speak, Rarity tells her: "Rainbow Dash... Your wings are back!"

"What!" Rainbow then quickly look behind her and see that her wings are indeed back. She remembers back at the Fall Formal, she had the greatest time flying around with them. She was high in the sky and didn't want to get back down to the ground. However, as Rainbow was excited to see her wings again, they quickly disappeared again.

After having her hopes dashed, Rainbow's friends quickly got around her and sort of congratulate her. Applejack asks her: "How did you do that?"

"I don't know?" she replied back.

"Can you do it again?" asked Pinkie Pie.

"I don't know?"

"Just What The Heck Was That!?" asked an infuriated Trixie.

Rainbow paused for a sec before she jokingly replies to Trixie: "... Magic." Everyone, aside from Trixie, burst out laughing.

Once she was sort of done, AJ remarks: "And to think: this was all about some little guitar."

At that moment, Rainbow suddenly remembered the shred-off. She then look down at the guitar that she was using and saw how it also had changed. She notice cooling looking lightning bolts going down along the frame and the guitar had a bit more shine. It was like it also transformed with her. Feeling attached to the guitar now, Rainbow tells everyone: "You know what; Trixie can have that guitar. I want this one." Everyone looked at Rainbow with an odd-proudness, almost like she did something mature.

_ _ _ _ _

A few days later, Rainbow was eating her lunch at school and was sitting in the cafeteria with Applejack and Pinkie Pie. They already gotten word that Twilight and Sunset had to skip lunch because they had to do a very important school project, but Rarity and Fluttershy should be coming soon. Pinkie for some reason was being hyper active, using her silverware as drum sticks and tapping on anything that she can find. However, Applejack notice that Rainbow Dash wasn't eating her lunch and was sort of lost in her own little world. Worried, she asks her: "Are you Alrigh' Dash?"

Realizing that AJ had asked her something, Rainbow tells: "Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine AJ. It just that... I'm still amazing with myself about what I did the other day at Cloudsdale."

"I still can't believe that it happened" AJ remarks. "I thought that sort of thing was done with once Twilight took the crown back to that Equestria place?"

"Well maybe it just that one thing and it won't happen again" Rainbow says as she think out loud. "I sure hope not because they are awesome, but if it is... oh well."

This is indeed a confusing question and neither of them are sure if they can answer it. But then, once they decided to forget about it (for now) and try to dig into their lunch, Rarity and Fluttershy suddenly appears. Rainbow Dash and Applejack was about to great, but they looked like they have urgent news to tell.

"You guys will not believe what happened?" says Rarity as she takes a seat.

"What!?" ask Rainbow with intrigue and worry.

"Do you still remember what Rainbow did the other day!?"

"Of course" Applejack replied.

Rarity did one worried look at Fluttershy before tell everyone: "The same thing happened to Fluttershy!"

"What!" yelled a surprised Rainbow Dash and Applejack.

Rainbow Rocks Short: Hamstocalypse Now

Fluttershy then tell everyone what happened. "Yesterday, me and Rarity helped out at the animal rescue shelter. I was lucky enough to be chosen to clean the hamster habitat while Rarity was meant to look after the hamsters while I clean." Everyone was confused for a sec since they can't understand why that would be considered lucky? "Once I was done cleaning, I went and check on Rarity to see how she was doing. But when I did, I saw all the hamsters were rioting!"

Rainbow Dash asks: "Wow Rarity! How did you managed that?"

She crossed her arms and replied: "You just won't understand the complex relations of hamsters."

They were skeptical with that answer, but Fluttershy soon tells them: "She dressed them up in tiny little outfits and named them." They quickly realize why now and they even chuck to Rarity's annoyance. However, Fluttershy then went back and finish her story.

"We try to calm them down and get them back into their habitat, but that was proven to be quite difficult. However, once they heard the sounds of my tambourine, they were willing to listen. I started using it and that when the magic happened."

Once they heard the whole story, both of them were left somewhat speechless. "Wow! Maybe it isn't a one-time thing after all?" AJ remarks.

Worried, Rarity asked everyone: "What do you think this all means?"

However, while everyone was frightened by this, Rainbow Dash more was more interested then worried. "Hey guys, this isn't something to get too worked up about."

"Seriously RD" says Applejack, sounding disappointed.

Rainbow Dash thinks hard before talking. "Ok, so... I transformed when I played my guitar and Fluttershy transformed when she played her tambourine. It looks like these powers returns every time we play some sort of music."

AJ, Rarity and Fluttershy were both amazed and confused by that statement. Saying out loud, it does make some sort of sense. But that still doesn't explain everything else and to them it sounds a bit contrived.

But then, Rainbow came upon a realization. "Hold on! If me and Fluttershy can do this, can't all of you do this as well?"

Not sure what on to do or say, Fluttershy turn towards Pinkie and ask her: "What do you think about all of this Pink... iee!?"

Everyone turn towards Pinkie and see what was going on. And before their eyes, they see Pinkie ears grew longer as she was tapping away on the table. When she felt all of her friends looking at her, she looked back at them and asks: "I'm sorry, what are we all talking about?"

_ _ _ _ _

Rainbow Rocks Short: A Case For The Base

Rainbow Rocks Short: Player Piano

The next day, everyone was at the music room while no one else was around. They already found out that Rainbow, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie is able to transform and just wanting to see if Applejack and Rarity can do the same thing. AJ had gotten her base guitar from home and was giving a small performance to her friends. With just the base music alone, the sounds that she was making has a funky/jazzy style of music to it which was fun to listen to. While they were all enjoying Applejack's performance, they all was still amazed when they saw her transform. When Applejack finished playing and her pony ears and tail her went away, her friends still give her a round of applause.

Feeling somewhat chuffed with their applause, Applejack says to all of them: "You all should be glad that I managed to get my guitar away from Granny Smith before she had a chance to sell it."

After giving odd a few chuckles, Rainbow Dash says out loud: "Ok, the only person we have left is Rarity."

Rarity, who was more then willing to do this, got up from her seat and says to them: "Don't worry ladies, I know just the type of instrument that will work for me; The Grand Piano!" That statement alone raised a few red flag from amongst her friends.

Applejack says to Rarity: "A grand piano? I don't ever remember seeing a grand piano at CHS?"

However Rarity replies: "And you don't have to worry about that issue either, darling. I have one waiting for me back home."

"Really Rarity!? A Piano!?" commented Rainbow Dash. "Can't you choose something that's a little bit... "light"?"

Feeling somewhat offended: Rarity replies: "Oh heavens, no! The grand piano is the most refined and elegant of instruments. With it, I'm sure I will get those cute little pony ears."

Everyone was still reluctant to go with her choice. But then, Pinkie innocently suggests: "Why not use a keyboard for now? It's like a piano, but it's electric."

Seeing her friend's continued persistence, Rarity humbly submits: "Oh very well. If it makes you all happy." Even she personally admit to herself that it would be a bit of a hassle taking it to school.

They all then search around the music room to find a keyboard which they can use. But surprisingly (and very weirdly), they can't find one. However, Pinkie found and yell out: "Hey! How about a guitar-key!?" Everyone then look at Pinkie Pie with confused expressions and saw that the thing she was holding was a keytar.

"Um Pinkie... I think that thing is called a keytar" stated a sheepish Fluttershy.

Pinkie just shrugs and responds: "To-mey-to! Pa-ta-to!"

When the keytar was handed to Rarity, she was somewhat taken back by it's basic idea and design. Combining a piano and guitar seem like a brilliant and yet simple idea to her. When she put the strap around herself and starting to play, Rarity started to feel like it was resonating with her. "Oh My!" she said out loud. As she was playing, she became surprisingly good at it. She even began making a groovy techno beat that got everybody listening and shaking to the beat. Eventually, it unlocked Rarity's stored away magic and gave her the pony ears and tail that she wanted. It even produced a magical aura around her, that, once her tune ended, burst out and everyone/thing around began to sparkle like everything was coated in diamonds.

Once she was finished and the magical effects went away, Rarity told everyone while looking at the keytar: "Oh my! I think I'm gunna buy one of these "fine beauties" on my way home today."

"I think you should. You was really good with it" complemented Fluttershy.

"You think so?" Rarity joyfully asks.

"Oh heck yeah!" Applejack exclaims.

As everyone else was everyone was discussing what just happened as well as what is happening, Rainbow Dash had a happy and excited smile on her face. To her, it was like the universe had given her signs to do something awesome. "Ok! I Want All Of You To Be In My Band!" she shouted.

Everyone looked at Rainbow Dash with confusion. "Are you serious Rainbow?" AJ asks.

Rainbow Dash explains: "Don't you see? I think all of these are signs. Our powers are returning, they only appear when we play music and the showcase is just a few days away. I think this all means something."

That statment caused everyone paused in silence for a sec before Applejack replies: "I think you gone nuttier then Pinkie Pie." While one would expect Pinkie Pie to be offended by that remark, she just founds it funny and chuckles.

"Oh come on guys. I really want to you all in my band" says Rainbow as she sounds slightly heartbroken. She ask them: "Aside from helping Twilight with the Fall Formal, we haven't done anything as a group since we reunited?" When she said that, everyone suddenly became quiet as they slowly realize that she was sort of right. Even though they started to hang out with each other again, but like what Dash had said, they hadn't really did anything special as a group yet. She tell them: "I know this seems weird and confusing, but lets think of this as an excuse to do something fun together. Pinkie as our drummer, AJ as our base, Rarity can use the keytar and Fluttershy with her tambourine. If all we do this together, I'm sure we can do awesome music together!"

After hearing Rainbow's speech, they all feel inspired to do it. They found out that they are really good with their instruments and they are sure that they will be great together. They still worried about their powers returning, but at the some time, they don't feel like they would be a danger to anyone. They had one quick glance to one another and saw that all of them are leaning towards saying "yes". After one more moment to think about, they all gave Rainbow their answers.

"Ok Rainbow, you pulled me in again" replied Applejack.

"I'M IN!" yelled Pinkie Pie in excitement.

"You will have my full support" stated Rarity.

Fluttershy sheepishly replies: "Well... if we are doing this together, I think I'll be ok with it?"

See her friends agreeing to join, Rainbow Dash couldn't helped but to be overjoyed. With her friends beside her, she punched the air and shouts: "YEAH! And With All Of Us Together, We Will ROCK The Showcase!"

However, after Rainbow Dash made that proud proclamation, Pinkie curiously asks her: "What about Twilight?"

The room was filled with silence as they realize that Twilight should be as involved in this as they are. After feeling embarrased for a sec, Rainbow (with arm still in the air) points towards Pinkie and says out loud: "Thanks for mentioning that Pinkie."

Author's Note:

Ok, there's the 1st bonus chapter done. I feel like since I just done one bonus chapter for this story, I feel like I should write one or two more but I haven't figured out what yet.

Anyway, onto the auther notes.

Lets get the obvious one out of the way first: I scattered links to the different Rainbow Rocks shorts through out of the chapter. While one would think that would be my excuss to be lazy, it is not. Although, I will admit that it did feel like I had to do far less details descriptions.

The main reason I had in my head at the time was that... I thought it would bring some sort of mood in the chapter. Like, I want the mood in certain parts of the chapter to be like the one in the shorts and I thought the only way I can do that was to put links into my story. However, I hope that you all knew that watching them was optional and just something that might add a little bit enjoyment.

One other reason was that I want to show the differencies that I made. Adding and altering cetain dialogues, skipping over certain things and still try to make the story to feel natural. One of my big issues have have with the shorts (which can also transfer it to the movie as well) was that when the character realizing that they have their powers back, they don't seem to ask why or how it's happening. That issue always bugged me and I thought I could do that here.

Also, felt that I made Rainbow Dash creepy through out this chapter. With her being excited about everyone's powers being back and her thinking it's a sign to form a band, I just feel like I was unnerved while writing it. However, I still like Rainbow's speach at the end and I'm quite proud of it.

Anyway, I hoped you enjoyed this little extra chapter. If you have, don't be afraid to leave a comment. Also, feel free to point out any spelling/grammer errors so I can fix them and improve my writting.