• Published 24th May 2016
  • 2,806 Views, 72 Comments

Rainbow Rocks: Friendship Makes Magic - ImNoPony



Set in an alternate universe, Human Twilight protects her school from the Dazzlings

  • ...
8
 72
 2,806

Chapter 1- Music & Magic

Inside the music room, instruments were being tuned and 5 friends were waiting for another friend to arrive. Rainbow Dash was tuning her guitar while often looking back at the door to see if Twilight has arrived yet. Applejack did something simulare, however she was being a bit more patient than Rainbow Dash. Rarity was more concerned with her appearance then her instrument, considering that it's an electrical keytar and doesn't need as much care. Fluttershy was sitting off by the side and was jotting different things into her notebook. But Pinkie Pie on the hand was so excited that she was jumping up-and-down by her drumset.

With the increasing noise from Pinkie, an irritated Applejack yells to her: "Will You Please Get A Hold Of Your Self Pinkie Pie!"

Seeing how annoyed she made Applejack, Pinkie replies: "I'm sorry Applejack, but I can't wait for when we tell Twilight about the big surprise!"

Trying the defuse the situation, Rainbow Dash steps in and says: "I know what you mean Pinkie, but we need to keep it cool and wait until the right minute."

"I'll try" Pinkie responded as she try to keep a hold of herself.

Seeing the commotion in front of her, Rarity says to Rainbow: "Honestly Rainbow, I can not understand why we need to keep this a secret from Twilight?"

Rainbow Dash replies: "Oh come on! Who doesn't like a good surprise?"

"I Don't!" yelled Pinkie.

But then, before anybody in the room could say anything else, the door slamed open and Twilight and Sunset came rushing inside. While trying to regain her and Sunset's breath, Twilight managed to ask: "We're Here... Rainbow Dash!... What is... The Problem!?"

Once they finally do regain their breath, Rainbow had a huge smirk across her mouth as she can't wait to break the news to them. She says to them: "You see Twilight, we... "

However, before she could finish, Applejack interupted her and says: "Rainbow here is trying to start band and we all were curious if you wanted to join?" Upon stealing her glory, Rainbow looked annoyed at AJ who in return has a cheeky grin on her face. "Scene stealer" whispered Rainbow Dash in frustration.

Upon the hearing the important news, a bewildered and slightly annoyed Twilight says: "Wait!? Is that why you call me here for? To join your band for the show case?"

Realizing what she must be feeling, Rarity steps forward and try to comfort Twilight. "We're sorry if we sent you the wrong impression dearie, but we thought this would be something that we can have fun together."

Once she began looking around the room, Twilight could see how prepared and enthusiastic everyone were for the thing. She could even see how this could be a fun experience for her. When she turn to Sunset Shimmer, she even mention: "This does sound interesting."

As everyone eyes were on Twilight, all hoping for her to say yes. However, despite feeling slight pressure from her friends, Twilight responded: "Thanks for the offer guys, but I have to decline." Simultaneously across the room, all the other girls began to moan and feel disappointed. Looks like they have to convince Twilight the heard way. Upon seeing her friends looking depressed, Twilight ask them: "I didn't know this was even your sort of thing."

Fluttershy explains: "Yeah well... It's more about doing something together after being apart for so long, rather then it is just playing music." At that moment, Sunset began to giggle awkwardly and hide behind Twilight (since she was the reason why they were apart).

Feeling guilty for disappointing her friends, Twilight told them: "I am sorry you guys, but if you all still want to do this, I'll be happy to help in any way that I can!"

However, not long after she said that, Rainbow Dash had a smile on her face and then says something else. "Actually Twilight, there is one more thing that we need to tell you."

Twilight raised an eyebrow. She couldn't described it, but it feels like she was about to receive information and that this is the reason why they called her. Rarity, Applejack and Fluttershy give glances to one another as they know what is going to happen while Pinkie Pie is so exited that she looks like that she might explode.

Rainbow Dash asks Twilight: "Do you remember those forms we had during the Fall Formal? You know, the ones which we used to stop Sunset Shimmer from destroying the school?" However, as soon as she said it, Dash suddenly realized that Sunset was right next to them. "Um... No offence" apologized an embarrassed Rainbow Dash.

However, despite feeling a bit sore, Sunset understands that it was a slip of the tongue. "None taken" she replied. "It was the only way from stopping me from being crazy."

After being surprised by how cooled Sunset took that comment, Twilight turns to Rainbow and says: "Yeah, what about?"

As Rainbow was about to tell Twilight, Pinkie appears beside her and was about to still her line. "WE Still Ha... !" However, not wanting her thunder to be stolen again, Dash quickly cover Pinkie's mouth and cut her off from speaking. Feeling chuffed, Rainbow Dash proudly proclaims: "We still have them!"

When she heard it, Twilight was so shocked and surprised that it caused a short delay before she leans forwards and ask: "... What!?"

Seeing that they got Twilight stuck in disbelief, everyone began to crowd around Rainbow who she explains: "Yeah! We still totally have them! Look!" Everyone then brought out and open their phones. After getting up the right videos, they all then show them to Twilight and Sunset.

At first, the only thing they saw was Rainbow and the rest playing their instruments and they were really good. But as they watch, they both fell into utter-awestruck when they saw the transformation. As the girls in the videos were reaching their respective climaxes, Twilight and Sunset saw their friends begin to emanate a mystic glow where they suddenly burst out into new appearances. Their ears grew pointy, their hair were extended and made pony-tails at the end and both Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy sprouted out wings. They look exactly how they were during the Formal.

Once the videos were finished and their phones were put away, everyone saw Twilight and Sunset looked completely speechless and their mouths were hanging open. Applejack ask them: "Hehe... So what do ya think?"

As they were finding the right words, Sunset muttered: "That was... " before Twilight yell out: "INSANE!"

As her friends were chuckling at Twilight as she was trying to comprehend it, she began asking out: "How... How Is This Even Possible!? How You Guys Still Have Magic!?"

"We're not entirely sure?" Rarity explains. "All we know is that it happens whenever we play some music?"

But then, Sunset suddenly thought of something. "Maybe... when the Element of Magic gave you some of it's power, a bit of its magic got left behind within you somehow?"

"I guess that's it?" agreed Twilight. However, she soon came to a realization of her own. "Wait! If you guys still have magic, would that mean that I... "

Once she see that Twilight was catching on, Applejack tells her: "That's what we like to find out."

"Ok... What do I do?"

Rainbow simply replies: "Well first; find an instrument. Second; you'd just play it."

As Twilight found that advice not too helpful, Pinkie quickly came up to her and start shooting her some random questions. "So what kind of instrument that you want? The violin? The theremin? Or how about a harmonica?" Pinkie was playing those exact instruments as she was suggesting them to demonstrate what they can do. But as she gotten around to the harmonica, she gotten carried away while and continued playing until somebody snapped her out of it.

As Twilight was confused, Sunset ask her: "Have you ever played an instrument Twilight?"

After thinking long and hard, Twilight replies: "Well... no. But while I was at my old school, I did audition for a play that invloved singing." She then has a personal flashback where she was still a Crystal Prep student. Around her freshmen year, a young Twilight Sparkle decided to audition for a school play for extra credit. She even remembers that Dean Cadence and Principal Cinch were also the judges and Cinch was very strict on the candidates. When it was Twilight's turn, she sung one of the play's songs and she was really good... That is until she mucked up one of notes and Principal Cinch quickly calls out for the next student. Twilight decides to never take part in another play at Crystal Prep ever again.

Back in the present, Twilight had finished telling her flashback to her friends and they quickly found out what to do. "Ok, so maybe your thing would be singing" Applejack proclaims. A microphone and stand then shot out from nowhere and landed by Twilight's side.

"Wait! You want me to sing right now?" asked a nervous Twilight. "But... I don't know what to sing?"

However, Fluttershy came up and tells her: "Don't worry Twilight." She then pass Twilight her notebook and explains: "I've already written up a song, just in case you were forced to sing."

Rarity then add: "And don't worry dearie. If this don't work out, we won't hold this against you." They all get to the seats and eagerly wait for Twilight's performance.

Even though she was still nervous with the whole, Twilight was touched by the kind sentiment and could see that her friends has much faith in her. After taking a deep breath and quickly look at the song, she tells them: "Ok... here I go." When Pinkie start the music on her MP3 player, Twilight looked at the lyrics and started singing.

"Back when I was new, loneliness was the thing I only knew. But when I found all of you, I also found something that is true. You helped me see, the me who I want to be.
So come out and give us your deep hidden voice, So I or we help filled in that void. So come up, come on, and get back on your feet, because Friendship helps, makes it all complete!"

As they all listen to Twilight's singing, some of them couldn't help but show how much they love it. While some were able to give their happiest smiles (Rarity, Sunset and Fluttershy), some of them (namely Pinkie and Rainbow Dash) let out a few disruptive cheer. When Twilight was so surprised that she stopped from singing, a few of them cry out: "Keep On Going!" See how much they love it, an overjoyed Twilight decides to do so.

"As Fluttershy put my worries to rest, Rainbow Dash came along and called be the best. While Applejack stopped my world from becoming bleak, Rarity made me something that is chic and unique. And as Pinkie Pie filled my day with fun, Sunset will make me shine like the great red sun!"

And then, as Twilight joy and passion had reached it's peak, her magic slowly began to come out. While she didn't notice it at first, everyone sort of give her the sign that it was happening. She notice her ears grew long and pointy and then found her hair shot out the pony. Twilight did know what to feel at that moment, but decide to continue to the climax so her magical attachment would stay a little longer.

"So come up, come out, now it's the time to rejoice. Come on, let it out, because you just shown us your deep hidden voice. Come on and dance to the beat, because Friendship helps makes it all complete!

It Makes It All Complete!"

When she finished singing, Twilight shot her arms up in the air to show the end of the song. Her friends quickly gave her a round of applause and came up to congratulate her. "That was Amazing" Rainbow Dash complimented and everyone followed up with one of their own.

Flattered, Twilight replies: "Gee, thanks guys." But then, Twilight suddenly felt something strange. When her and her friends look at her back, they saw the pony ears and tail suddenly "popped" away.

"Yeah, they usually went away after we finish playing" Pinkie explain to Twilight, who was surprised, confused and secretly disappointed.

"So, they only appeared when you guys make music?" ask Twilight.

"We guess so?" Fluttershy replied. "They haven't shown up in anything else we do."

Confused, Twilight thought out loud: "But... that doesn't make sense?"

"Who cares that it doesn't make sense!" Rainbow responded. "With this new trick, we'll sure to be the best band at the musical showcase!"

"Dash... For the umpteenth, the Showcase is not a Contest!" says Applejack.

As Rainbow Dash was rolling her eyes, Twilight yell out: "Wait!? You guys gunna show this in the musical showcase!?"

Everyone then looked unease and sort of see how this could be a stupid idea. However, Rainbow Dash tell them all: "Hey don't worry about it. We can totally keep this under control." When Twilight looked undeterred, Rainbow whisperer to her: "Just thinks of this as an experiment."

Despite how much she still want think this as a bad idea, Twilight begrudgingly admits: "I do like experiments." When everyone point their eyes towards her, she quickly felt the pressure and yell out: "Fine! I'll Join!"

Everyone they chipped up and cheer as they finally pulled Twilight into the band. Even though Twilight still has some reservations about this, she like to see her friends happy and the who things does sounds like it could be fun.

As everyone finished congratulating themselves, Applejack exclaims: "I guess Twilight now is our lead singer."

"Wait! What!" yelled Rainbow Dash.

Rarity then adds: "And if you all don't mind, I would like to make us all some band outfits."

"Sure, we don't mind."

"No hang on a minute!" Dash says as she tries to interject.

Twilight then look towards Fluttershy and says: "And I think Fluttershy will be our song writer?"

Both surprised and happy, Fluttershy responded: "What! Really!?"

Pinkie explains: "Yeah, your song was amazing:pinkiehappy:"

But as Fluttershy was being happy, Dash yells out: "HEY!!!" Grabbing everyone's attention, she tells them: "This band was my idea. Don't I have a say in all of this?"

Seeing how upset she was getting, Rarity tells her: "Oh fine Dash, you can name the band." Rainbow was about to say something to that, but as she stopped and think about it, she actually quite liked the idea.

Once everyone got their roles sorted, Sunset says out loud: "Alright! So what do you want me to do?" Everyone then looked towards her, remembering that she was there.

"Oh Sunset!" Rainbow thought out loud. She embarrassingly admits: "Um... We didn't really thought up a place for you." Sunset became shocked and saddened by that fact. She quickly realize that she might have asked for something more then she had thought. Seeing how upset Sunset is, Twilight nudge Rainbow with an elbow and silently tells her to do something for her. Not wanting to be mean, Rainbow ask Sunset: "Alright Sunset, what do you want to do?"

Realized she was given a chance, Sunset quickly looked around the room and try to come up with something. "Well... Um... " She quickly spotted a spare guitar. "Oh! I can play the guitar!" She quickly picks it up and play a "wicked" guitar chord. She played the chord so well, she left everyone speechless.

However, despite how impressed she was, a begrudged Rainbow Dash tells her: "Um Sunset... I'm sort of the lead guitarist."

"Oh!" says Sunset, falling back down to her depression.

Everyone then gave Rainbow a cold stare, unimpressed with how stubborn she was being. After that and seeing how sad Sunset was, Rainbow tells her: "Oh all right! If... one of us is sick or something, then I guess... you can fill in for them?"

Sunset was somewhat happy with that statement, but she knows that it was more in a sense of pity then anything else. However, her friends nevertheless still came around and comfort her, congratulating her for sort-of getting into the band.

Author's Note:

I'm gunna say it right now: I am not a song writter. I don't have any experience with making up songs and the closest thing I can do is come up with some basic rhymes. I could have kept it vague and just say what she was singing about, but I really want to have the image out of my head and into the "paper". For anybody who liked my song, thank you, but I probably won't write as much original lyrics.

Also, I just want to mention the order of events that I had made within this chapter. I had made (this) Twilight join the band much earlier and before the threat of the Dazzlings were known. I also had Sunset show them her guitar skills... only for her to be put in the reserves. The reason I made these changes because I wanted to build up some plot threads that has yet to come. But when they do, this will change some aspects from the movie that will make it it's own thing.

Also, no promises or anything, but next chapter might be a bonus chapter.

I am hoping that you are enjoying the story. Don't forget to point out any errors that I may have made so I can quickly fix them.