• Published 18th Jun 2012
  • 29,487 Views, 2,040 Comments

My Little Minecraft: At the End - Journeyman



I hold the power of creation in the palm of my hand, yet these creatures still frighten me.

  • ...
69
 2,040
 29,487

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6: The Lion's Den

Chapter 6: The Lion’s Den

The sun had been over the horizon for two hours, but it was not visible behind a thick layer of clouds covering the sky over Ponyville. The clouds coming down from the mountains had let loose a twenty minute deluge shortly after the Night Guard returned from scouring the forest. The Royal Guard of Canterlot and Council of Magic had mobilized and began setting up camp on the outskirts of town, but the unpleasant weather had delayed Celestia’s chariot until morning.

As it landed, her two dozen guards spread out in a circle to protect the Princess. A single pegasus clad in the golden armor of the Royal Guard was there waiting to meet her. “Corporal Willow Winds, your Highness. I’ll be your escort until you are up to date on current events.”

“Very well, Corporal.” Celestia started walking down the street. Her guards gave the pair a respectable distance to speak alone. “Where is my sister?”

“After setting some of her entourage to guard Ponyville until reinforcements arrived, she set up base in the abandoned castle in the Everfree Forest. She’s started patrols to search for a suspect involved with recent events. Searches have been reduced to a crawl with all the monsters in there, though. However, something seems to have spooked most of them. There are scattered reports of several creatures running blindly and not stopping, even if they injure themselves in the process. It’s unconfirmed if it is the creature’s doing. Speaking of which, due to all the noise I’ve been hearing, I swear, Princess Luna’s probably wrestling every basilisk and dragon in there in an effort to find the one responsible for last night’s trouble.” Corporal Winds’ words registered with him a little too late. “Er, no offense, your highness.”

Celestia chuckled merrily. “None taken, Corporal. Now, is there a description of this subject?”

“First Lieutenant Chaser, one of Princess Luna’s entourage, engaged the creature, but it escaped capture. Captain Hawk has tasked her with all the details surrounding the suspect and ordered her to prepare as full a report as possible. She is ready to debrief you at your convenience. She suffered injuries, but I’ve been told she will be alright.”

Celestia gave a sigh of relief. “That is good news. Any other casualties?” The pair turned a corner, running right into a lavender unicorn with a saddlebag strapped to her back.

“Oof!” Twilight stumbled and looked up, preparing to give a stern talking to whomever wasn’t watching where they were going. Upon seeing whose company she was in, Twilight gave a respectful bow. ”Princess Celestia!”

Celestia, knowing full well that Twilight was capable of blowing even minor infractions far out of proportion, put a hoof to her student’s cheek and lifted her head so their eyes met. “No need for apologies Twilight, it was merely an accident.” Celestia’s Honor Guard, upon seeing Twilight, immediately relaxed and assumed their search for any signs of danger.

“I had heard you were coming to Ponyville earlier,” Twilight commented.

“I’m afraid the storms Ponyville’s weather ponies organized delayed my arrival.” Twilight nodded, accepting the response. It was then that Celestia saw how haggard Twilight looked. Her mane was in disarray and she had deep shadows under her eyes from lack of sleep. “Dear Twilight, have you been waiting for me all this time?”

Twilight shook her head. “No... well, yes. I’ve been up all night helping to organize the effort to repair Ponyville.”

“Yes, I received a missive from Luna describing damages to the town. I’ve already organized the Masons Guild to send a representative to examine the damages and issue a workforce to help.”

“Thank you, Princess,” Twilight expressed gratefully.

Celestia bent down and nuzzled Twilight affectionately, “It is my duty as a ruler of Equestria to help its citizens in its time of need. Now is the time for rest Twilight; go get some sleep.”

Twilight shook her head emphatically. “This is my home. I can’t rest until I make sure it’s okay.”

Celestia couldn’t help but smile and her heart burned with pride at her student’s words. She remembered many years ago when Twilight wouldn’t even remove a book from under her nose to watch where she stepped, let alone to socialize. Now here she was, doing everything in her power to selflessly help others with everything at her disposal. “I will make you a deal Twilight. You can accompany me in my tour of Ponyville under the condition that, once it is done, you head straight to bed.”

Twilight was going to protest at the timeline, but the look in her teacher’s eyes said that there wouldn’t be any wiggle room in the deal. Twilight nodded in agreement.

“Then it is settled.” She turned her head to Corporal Winds. “As you were, Corporal.”

Corporal Winds turned around to face the pair; he had turned to the side to give them a moment alone with each other. “First Lieutenant Chaser was the only one to suffer wounds among the Night Guard. For what we have gathered from Ponyville Residential Hospital records, most of Ponyville, those that have wounds anyway, only suffered minor contusions and lacerations with a few broken bones sprinkled in the mix. No fatalities. But there was one special instance where the Hospital had been ordered to take special care. A unicorn mare was attacked by the suspect with a form of alchemy and has been treated in the hospital ever since.”

“Lyra Heartstrings! I almost forgot!” Twilight exclaimed. She rooted around her saddlebags for a second before pulling out a single, golden lyre. “I was supposed to give this to her!”

“Well, we better deliver it now, shouldn’t we?” Celestia whispered conspiratorially.

Corporal Winds protested. “Beg your pardon Princess, but there are other pressing matters to attend to.”

“This is one of those matters, Corporal. As much as I protect the nation, I am equally responsible for the individual. I wish to meet this unicorn and acquire her recount of events.”

Her mind had been made up and Corporal Winds made no further protest. “This way, Princess.”

After a brief chariot ride, the trio arrived at Ponyville Residential Hospital with enough Royal Guards to take down an Ursa Minor. A pair of Guards opened the doors for the Princess and Twilight, Corporal Winds, and Princess Celestia stepped into the sterile environment flush with the scent of clean linen and disinfectant. It was lucky they landed when they did; after a flash of lightning, the ground soon became drenched with a torrential downpour.

“Lyra is on the third floor with a Night Guard. He was ordered to stay there after the rest of the Royal Guard arrived.” Twilight said and led the way to the elevator. Nurses and doctors alike dropped their jaws and bowed at their royal guest, their passing garnering best wishes and praises.

Lyra’s room was rather spartan, but that was to be expected. The Ponyville hospital had been quite busy since events from last night and hadn’t approved of bringing items from home for the bedridden. Lyra herself was more chipper since Twilight had last seen her, sitting upright in a rather odd way and speaking to her marefriend Bon Bon. They were speaking animatedly together and laughed in unison after Lyra had finished a lengthy story about somepony stealing slippers from the hospital.

A pair of guards posted themselves at the door as Celestia, Twilight and the Corporal entered. Their arrival brought the eyes of the pair, Nurse Coldheart, and a lone Night Guard lying lazily on one of room’s couches. The moment his eyes set on Celestia, he immediately stood at attention.

“At ease, soldier.” The soldier reluctantly relaxed. Bon Bon and Lyra slid off the bed and bowed to the Princess along with the nurse.

“Good morning, Princess.” The marefriend’s said in synchronous.

“Good morning, you two. I’ve heard that you had quite the trying night.”

“Yes, she has,” Nurse Coldheart commented dryly.

“How is she, nurse?” Twilight asked.

The nurse picked up the clipboard at the foot of Lyra’s bed. She scanned it for a second and opened her mouth, but Lyra spoke up first. “Oh, I’m fine!” She gave a little skip and cantered in a few circles to prove her claim.

Nurse Coldheart, in her perpetually deadpan expression, responded in kind. “Yes, Ms. Heartstrings does appear to be in perfect health. However, I’m keeping her here for another day for observation purposes.”

Bon Bon nodded in understanding, but Lyra’s outcry was immediate. “Aw, come on!”

“I’m sorry, Ms. Heartstrings; those are Captain Hawk’s orders until we verify your recovery.” Nurse Coldheart only stared back blankly and sighed.

“What can you tell me about her condition, Nurse?” Celestia asked.

“Not much, Princess. Whatever Ms. Heartstrings got splashed with didn’t leave much of a trace; all I can tell you about its composition is it was water-based. It could have been infused with magic to increase the effects or it could be purely chemical. There’s just no way to tell without a better sample.” She flipped another page.

“As for its effects, they slowed down Ms. Heartstrings vitals to near-coma level. They were still strong, but incredibly slow. It decreased heart rate, respiration, brain activity, everything. We’d be more concerned, but her vitals started to stabilize within an hour. By two, she was back on her hooves and rowdy as ever.”

“Hey!”

“Professionally and personally, I believe she will be fine.” Nurse Coldheart put the clipboard back on its stand, wrote down Lyra’s current vitals, and left to give Celestia some privacy.

It was at this moment Twilight removed the lyre from her saddlebags and placed it on the counter next to the unicorn. Lyra’s face lit up.

“Thanks, Twilight! It’s about time they let me get some of my stuff in here.”

“Oh, come off it, Lyra; give it a break,” Bon Bon sighed in exasperation, but the smile on her face told everyone she wasn’t serious. Lyra smiled back and, after lifting her instrument with her magic, began to play.

It was a short piece, with a brisk tempo filled with staccato notes. It started off smooth and gentle, but the tempo and the volume increased halfway through. The section was suited for a percussion section with low bass drums for emphasis before she entered the song’s final movement with a quartet of legato triplets. The song’s final section was very upbeat and fast tempo, punctuated nicely by multiple thunderclaps from the storm clouds hovering in the sky. It made Twilight’s knees itch with the urge to start running and go on a journey.

But the song ended quickly; Lyra was in the company of royalty after all and knew that Celestia had questions about her past experience. Celestia, however, had been nodding her head to the tune in enjoyment. Even the Night Guard in the corner had lifted his head to enjoy the music.

“That was quite an interesting piece, Ms. Heartstrings. I do so miss hearing them after you left the School for Gifted Unicorns.” Lyra beamed in appreciation. “Now Ms. Heartstrings, what can you tell me about your encounter?”

“It was kind of cool. It didn’t have hooves like us, but five digits instead. I wonder what it feels like.” She flexed her limbs experimentally. She had a goofy smile on her face, eyes bright in wonder as she contemplated the possibilities.

Bon Bon grinned and elbowed her marefriend. “Focus, Lyra.”

Lyra shook her head to clear her thoughts. “Oh! Sorry, my mind wandered there for a second. Anyway, I’m not worried about it. It was kinda my fault.”

As soon as everyone’s brains stopped grinding gears, Celestia asked the obvious question, “What do you mean, Ms. Heartstrings.”

“Oh, I kinda popped out of the door and it was just surprised to see me.”

“And running away after hitting you in the face was just its way of saying sorry,” was the retort of a disgruntled Bon Bon.

“Come on, Bon Bon! Love and tolerate!” Lyra pulled Bon Bon close and nuzzled her cheek; that stopped her complaints right in their tracks. Bon Bon blushed and muttered something about propriety in the presence of royalty, but Celestia just gave a light chuckle and excused the group.

“I hope you remain well, Ms. Heartstrings. Good day.” After thank-yous and goodbyes, Twilight followed Celestia out the door.

It wasn’t until they were outside, in the - thankfully - now not raining street, that Cpl. Winds spoke, “As a matter of fact, Princess, your sister Princess Luna said something similar to Ms. Heartstring. During their first encounter, the creature attempted some form of communication with the Princess before it was frightened off by the Night Guard.”

“I pray that be the case, for many details of this creature gravely worry me. I do not wish for my subjects to confront this creature on hostile terms.” It was the first sign of uncertainty Celestia expressed so far. It was quickly replaced by her signature poker face. “Come, I wish to see Ponyville. It has been such a long time since my last visit.”

It did not look like the town would need the help of the Masons Guild when they arrived. Most of the larger debris around town had been cleared by the early risers and those who woke up in the dead of night. While there was still much work to be done, it was nothing compared to the effort it took to repair the parasprite infestation. Not that Twilight would ever tell Celestia that.

As the trio strolled down town with Celestia’s Honor Guard watching close, several ponies stopped what they were doing and bowed to the Princess. Each offered their own praise, be to Celestia or the crown itself at each stop in the road. Several others spoke in hushed voices and expressed fears about the large gateway that loomed directly overheard like some great oppressor. Celestia did her best to give reassurances about Ponyville’s safety and proclamations that the source of the gateway would be uncovered. Since she had further business to attend to, her talks were short, but still beneficial for the peace of mind of Ponyville’s residents.

When she was done, Celestia asked to be taken to the Council of Magic and seek out their findings on the gateway. Before Corporal Winds could set a course, a member of the Royal Guard landed next to the trio and spoke with him. When done, he saluted Princess Celestia and took off once more.

“That was a report from the search parties. They had not yet found the creature responsible, but they know it’s nearby. They’ve detected several signs where it’s been cutting wood.

“Also, I was updated on the search for a missing resident. While First Lieutenant Chaser did battle the creature, the fight was interrupted by a zebra named Zecora. After the fight, she left and Captain Hawk issued some Night Guards to escort her home. However, she disappeared before that could happen. Her home has been searched several times and there is no sign of her in the search for the creature; there is just no trace of her and no signs as to where she went.”

Twilight’s ears drooped at the news. “I do hope she’s alright.”

The Corporal did his best to reassure her, “Do not fear, Ms. Twilight; the very best of the Royal Guard are searching the Everfree Forest as we speak. If she’s in danger, she will be found.” However, he deliberately did not mention what condition she would likely be found in, or if she even wanted to be found. Some things were best left unsaid to ease those with a troubled mind.


A field to the south of Ponyville became the temporary home for a full military garrison. None save for the young and ambitious wanted to be there, but there was a job to do. With both Princesses in the immediate vicinity, no one wanted to disappoint, even if it meant risking getting struck by lightning.

The Everfree Forest was quickly divided into a ten by twenty grid with each and every square needing a search for a bipedal creature responsible for several recent events, including an attack on one of their own. That fact was fresh in Sergeant Jetstream’s mind as he scanned his own grid square, with four Senior Privates. They were skimming the canopy but, so far, there was little of interest other than a few scattered woodland creatures, a roaming cockatrice, an occasional thunderclap, and lots and lots of trees. So many trees...

He and his group banked left on a warm thermal and gained some height; maybe a little distance would help establishing some points of reference. Sergeant Jetstream didn’t see much in terms of landmarks either; most of the forest terrain was filled with treacherous terrain, but his assigned square was mostly low hills and shallow streams. A perfectly normal forest, save for one more monster than usual. It was like finding a needle in a haystack... in another haystack.

One of the Senior Privates gave a sigh of boredom, but kept his comments to himself. Sergeant Jetstream didn’t care what the soldier did, just as long as he did his job right. After completing the high pass, he decreased his altitude and started another sweep of the forest. He could always go below the canopy, but that would only bring unwanted trouble. Five stallions could handle one creature with confidence, but the thick canopy leaves cast long and deep shadows, perfect hiding places for an ambush by the forest’s dark denizens. Sergeant Jetstream would not dip below the canopy unless he had something to work with.

So the Sergeant's search continued. It continued in the same manner as before, high pass, low pass, high pass, low pass. This continued for a total of three hours before someone interrupted the monotony.

The Senior Private to Sergeant Jetstream’s left darted his head to the forest below. The Sergeant followed his gaze and, upon seeing nothing, asked, “Something wrong, Senior Private?”

“I’m... I’m not sure Sergeant. I thought I saw something flash, but... I don’t see anything now.” The Senior Private returned his gaze to an opening in the canopy where they could all see the entrance to a cave.

“Well, make up your mind Senior Private. Did you see something or didn’t you?”

“I... well...” The Senior Private looked to the Sergeant before looking back to the cave, before looking right back at the Sergeant. He was biting his lip uncertainly, but after a brief moment of contemplation, he steeled his nerves. “Yes, Sergeant.”

Jetstream nodded. “Well, let’s take a look then.”

The quintet altered course and landed in the grass just short of the cavern, their wings scattering dust as they flapped them to cushion their landing. Sergeant Jetstream, after a quick check to make sure his team was alright, started examining his surrounding. It was what he expected: great tree trunks, plenty of darkness, tall grasses, an imposing cave entrance...

And an absolute, dead silence.

There were no signs or sounds of the critters he spotted earlier, and no sign of light. Well, there weren’t any reflective sources or shiny rocks, all he saw was the same dull brown and black stones, so Jetstream’s immediate conclusion was it was a trick of the light---

“Guuuuguggguah.....”

A low gurgle echoed from the cavern below them, no doubt the warning cry of a creature that called the cave home.

As soon as he thought that, a pair of manticores roared from the dank depths and charged out in force, teeth glinting and paws swinging. Sergeant Jetstream issued a quick command, “Rise!”

The quintet rocketed into the air, narrowly avoiding clawed paws that would have torn them to ribbons if given the chance. But as the group gained altitude, the Sergeant saw something unusual: burned across the flanks of both creatures was a long, single scar. It was if some other creature slid a hot poker across their hides in a fit of madness, deliberately frightening or harming the no doubt mates for some depraved purpose. Dangerous as they were, such creatures did not deserve such deplorable treatment, even by another creature from the forest.

But something was stranger still. The manticores kept on running, simply charging blindly into the forest and vanishing into the darkness. They did not pursue them or even glance in their direction after their first mutual meeting, so they did not attack out of some defensive instinct for their den. What could have possibly caused them to go berserk in the first place? Was that how they got their matching scars? What could be so intimidating that it would frighten a pair of manticores from their den?

“Remember to mark this sector as incomplete; we may need to go down there.”


Minecraft/MLP:FIM crossover.
Chapter commentary: LINK
For chapter progress and my ramblings, visit my page on Fimfiction HERE.
Edited by: Maverick Frond, Material Defender


PreviousChapters Next