• Published 26th May 2016
  • 1,980 Views, 43 Comments

Shadows and Sunlight - King Sombra Returns



King Sombra has returned unknown to any pony but when Twilight starts hearing voices in her head will she listen to them or deny the shadows and go to the sunlight.

  • ...
7
 43
 1,980

Talking to Royalty, Understanding

Twilight was walking through the sparkling crystals as she walked through the corader in the Crystal Castle in the Empire. She was heading for Cadence and Shining Armor, She wanted- no Needed to talk to them. Her anger was fueling, even without Midnight and The 'Dark One' The Darkness already plated was seeping into her mind. A part of her knew something was wrong, but Twilight was sure it was just a little worry. Twilight stopped and sighed,

" Perhaps I should just stop while I am ahead, I don't want Cadence and Shining to get involved"
' Have you gone Stupid!?!'
" Hello again Midnight"
' Cadence and Shining Armor need to know, what if they get there first. They could convince them that You're the one who is a danger, it would be five against one.'
" You know, you're right. I don't know why I was thinking that, perhaps I am just nervous....That's it! Nerves."
' Twilight, you know you can trust me and The ' Dark One' always, right?'

Twilight smiled slightly, She knew somehow she could trust him and Midnight. He had changed her, shown her the truth. But no matter how much she tried to think this was good, a small piece of doubt in her mind still lingered.

" Yes Midnight, I know....I know"


The Girls:




" Cadence you have to listen! Twilight has gone nuts!" Applejack pleaded with the Princess of Love, hoping-Knowing she could help
" There is no way Twi would reject you all, How do we know you aren't drones!" Shining Armor said, anger filling him up
" You have to listen!" Spike yelled across the room, making every mouth snap shut.
" Twilight has been acting off..She has been muttering to herself, and she has abandoned her friends. She says you betrayed her somehow." He said, looking down to the Crystallized floor as he spoke
" Told you!" Rainbow Dash said flying over the Royal couple.
" If Spike says it's so...We have to believe him" Cadence said her light airy voice filling the room.




Suddenly Flash Sentry burst into the room
" Your Highness! Something is wrong with Twi- Princess Twilight!" He said sweat covering his brow from the panic stress he had been in.
" Are you sure Flash?" Cadence asked, concern filling her voice.
" Yes your Highness...I am sure" He said tilting his head down.
" There has to be a reason to explain her behavior!" Shining said, not wanting to believe what he has been told.




Suddenly a voice spoke through the crowd and everyone turned to look at voice, shock filling everyone.


The ' Dark One' was waiting for Midnight to shut up so he could speak, He couldn't say anything for everything he said here, Twilight would hear. And he did not want Twilight to hear his plans, or hear him yelling at Midnight. So he stood there silently, waiting for his turn to speak.
' Twilight, You have to change your mind as far as-' Midnight turned and saw her Master,
'Eep!'
" Is everything ok!?" Twilight stopped worried
' Everything is just fine dear, she was just surprised to see me pop up so quickly' The 'Dark One' said his lie slipping off his tongue like easily.




" O-okay just got a little nervous is all...I didn't know if she was hurt."
' No my dear, Midnight is fine.' He said, a smirk rolling onto his face as his blood red eyes glowed.




Twilight blushed slightly from him calling her dear, but quickly got over it as she heard voices coming from the throne room. It was her so-called 'friends'. She then heard her Brother's voice as well as her sister in-law's voice. She heard what Shining had to say. And it angered her greatly, all the happy thoughts she just faced were wiped away. She opened the door silently, seeing everyone being silent for a moment. She broke the silence with her cold, commanding voice.


" So...this is how it all ends, everyone choosing the traitors for me" She threw a icy glare at Flash, his eyes filled with tears.
" Twilight..You have to-" Shining was cut off by Rainbow Dash, who was eager to know what was wrong with Twilight.
" You have to stop this load of Crap Twilight!, We are your friends. Not your enemy! Please..just listen" Rainbow said concern filling her voice.
" Twilight, you are the most intelligent mare I have ever-" This time it was Flash that was cut off, but not b Rainbow. By Twilight as she looked at him with cold unfeeling eyes.
" Oh, save it for someone who gives a Flying feather! Flash, if a guard like you thinks you have a chance." She looked down at the crystalline floor, shaking her head and laughing.
" You are poorly mistaken." She finished her statement with a smirk plastered on her face.
" Twilight!" Cadence spoke up, her soft tone harsher than what Twilight was used to
" Twilight, you need to stop this. You need to look into your heart and see that these are ponies who care for you...Flash, his heart swells for you he truely car-" Cadence never got to finish her sentence before Twilight lit her horn, blasting Cadence into her throne. But not with any magic, no. This was Dark Magic. 'The Dark One' Smiled proudly, knowing his plan was going off without a hitch.




Twilight looked at her ex-friends and family with nothing but an emotionless expression. Cadence looked up tears filling her eyes as Shining Armor ran to help his wife. Twilight's eyes still had the effects of using Dark Magic, when it finally hit her. She had just attacked her sister in-law, and her brother was furious. Her eyes returned to normal, as tears filled the magic's effects

" I-I'm S-sorry...I d-didn't m-mean to..." Twilight managed to sputter out, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Everypony in the room looked at her with concern and tear filled expressions. Twilight looked at Cadence and her brother one last time before running out of the Castle.

" Twilight! Wait!" Cadence tried to get up, but the blast had weakened her, and no one else was going to run after her now, not after that.


Twilight collapsed on the ground, still weeping. She didn't mean to....She didn't want to hurt Cadence. She looked up realizing where she was. She was just outside the Crystal Empire's barrer. She looked back upon the Crystalline kingdom. She turned away, shame filling her very core. she was freezing, she had to find shelter, And fast.


Twilight had been walking for 1 hour 43 minutes and 28 seconds, Twilight calculated in her head. She was freezing and the tips of her hooves were turning purple. She didn't know what to do, she was lost,cold,and terrified. That was the worst thing. She was terrified...Of herself. She wanted to go back, to beg for forgiveness. But they would not understand, no one would. Twilight began to feel dizzy. Hypothermia. She concluded, she tried to go forward. But to no avail. She was doomed. She had faced many foes, from Nightmare Moon to Lord Tirek. And now she was going to be defeated by snow and Ice, how pitiful. Twilight could not hold on any longer, she felt the sides of her vision start to fade and blur. She was going down. The last part of her vision ended and Twilight collapsed, her body going limp in the snow.



Twilight awoke with a start, she was alive, and in a cave. How she got there...No one will ever know. There was a body curled next to her, giving her warmth. The change in breathing must have alerted this Pony of her being awake, for the pony next to her stirred. It did not cross her path of vision, but it-he did speak.




" I'm afraid without me Miss. Sparkle, You would have perished in the cold."




Twilight knew this voice. It was 'The Dark One'. She almost jumped in joy, but soon realized she was still to weak. Her eyes however were filled with light and joy, she smiled. She knew she was safe, she could trust him. She knew she could.




'The Dark one' spoke up, filling the silence, " I must know...Twilight. Do you trust me fully and completely?" Twilight knew the answer instantly...
" Yes Dark One..I do. " She said fully, and truly.
" What if I were someone that no-one could trust, someone others feared. Would you still?"
"Yes, even if you were a monster from the depths of Tartarus. You have done so much to help me."
"Good."




With that he stepped in her line of vision, and Twilight gasped with shock at knowing the truth...There was no way, after all this...It was HIM!!!!


She stood before the most evil, cruel, and vindictive Stallion in all of Equestria. King Sombra, the King of Shadows. The king of Monsters. Twilight backed up, terrified of what this evil would do to her.


" Don't worry my dear.... I will not harm you."

When he spoke it was in the same tone and commanding voice, that The Dark- He used to use. It suddenly clicked. He saved her, He helped her, It was clear. He was not as evil as she thought. She looked at him, a fluttering feeling in her stomach as she realized how, Handsome he was. This was not the Monster history claimed him to be. This was a Stallion who had rescued her, this was a stallion she....cared for. She took a step forward, knowing she did not have to fear him.


" So You are 'The Dark One'?"
" Yes my dear, I have been the one helping you" He gave his best supporting smile, taking a small step forward. " Why, are you scared of me dear?"
" No, not anymore. I realized something. You could have destroyed me at any time you wished, but you chose to help me.." She looked in his eyes,even the intimidating green eyes with the purple smoke didn't bother her. " I-I..I understand, at least I think I do...You are trying to help me, to help me grow."
" Indeed" Sombra looked her in the eyes, care filling them.


Unknown to Twilight however is the longer she looked into his eyes, the more hers took to replicating them. A bright lime green filled the whites of her eyes, as a light purple smoke flowed from the corners. The only thing that was left the same were her Purple irises.
She felt dizzy once more, as sleep took over her. She fell, But Sombra was quick and caught her. He laid her down on a pillow, brushing her mane. Knowing his plan was going off without a hitch. He hadn't even scratched the surface of his plan. This was only the beginning. A dark grin crossed his face, as a low eerie chuckle rolled out.

"Soon....Soon...."