• Published 18th Jun 2012
  • 1,706 Views, 58 Comments

The Taffy Tale - yotoeman



Bon Bon's candy shop has been failing until one day she hears the music of a certain Lyre player

  • ...
5
 58
 1,706

Chapter 9

Chapter 9

“Tavi! Tavi!”

Octavia was watching T.V. when a very flustered and exhausted DJ burst into their hotel room.

“Vinyl, where are your shades and food? And did you get me that banana I asked for?”

Vinyl didn’t bother to answer. She had just sprinted pass about 200 doors and turned at 4 corners to get to their room at a speed that Rainbow Dash would be proud of.

“Balco-…ponies…Lyr…”

Deciding that the defibrillator down the hall wasn’t necessary, Octavia patiently waited for Vinyl to regain her ability to speak coherently. After a minute or two, Vinyl was finally able to form intelligible sentences.

“She’s here Octavia, I saw her in the balcony. Lyra Heartstrings is staying in this hotel.”

“Lyra Heartstrings? As in Thee Lyra Heartstrings? The one that I want to strangle to death? Are you sure it was her and not somepony else?”

“No Tavi… the other mint-green unicorn with a lyre cutie mark…”

“Ugh, I can’t believe she had to come here. Right before my concert too! I’m gonna give her a piece of my mind…” And with that ominous note, she walked out the door with a scowl on her face.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Lyra, are…are you alright?” Bon Bon asked, concerned that Lyra’s face had suddenly turned pale, staring into the distance…

Calm down Lyra, it’s just a coincidence. It is a coincidence, right?

“Hello, Lyra? You still in there?” Bon Bon waved a hoof in front of the unicorn’s face, still no reply.

These shades are probably from some die-hard DJ Pon-3 fan. What would Vinyl be doing here anyway? Unless Octavia…

“Bon Bon,” Lyra asked, suddenly snapping her head up at the earth pony, “what orchestra are we going to see next evening?” Bon Bon looked confused at the seemingly irrelevant question.

“Uhhh…, I have the concert tickets for it right here.” Bon Bon responded, pulling out two tickets from her saddlebags. “This concert will be featuring the Canterlot Symphony Orchestra. Huh, now that I think about it, didn’t you say something about playing in Can-…”

Bon Bon was interrupted however when Lyra abruptly snatched the tickets from her hooves, threw them in her mouth, and swallowed them. She shuddered a bit and then was still. The tickets ceased to exist.

“Hey what was that for?”

“Bon Bon, we have to get back to our room right now.”

“Not until I get an explanation for what you just, hey…!”

“No time!” The mint-green unicorn grabbed the earth pony and anxiously tried to drag her back to their room. She had only exited the balcony however, when she came face-to-face with an intimidating-looking cellist and her marefriend, both waiting outside the balcony for them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Going somewhere, Lyra?” Octavia said with a smirk on her face. Others may have found Octavia’s expression playful, but Lyra, backing up nervously, found it absolutely terrifying.

“Oh uhh… hi Octavia,” Lyra said. She noticed a certain DJ unicorn step out from behind Octavia with a frightened, somewhat guilty expression.

“Oh, uhh, Vinyl, fancy seeing you here. You know, it’s strange really, how you’re not wearing your shades right now because just a few seconds ago I…”

Lyra was interrupted mid-sentence however when the back of Octavia’s hoof connected with her face. Lyra was sent sprawling on the ground.

“Ow…I guess I deserved that.”

“Oh you definitely deserved that one!” Octavia yelled furiously. “I told you last time that if I ever saw your face again, I would do much worse than just kick you out my orchestra! In fact, you do deserve a lot worse. And you want to know why…? I said do you want to why, Lyra Heartstrings!?”

Lyra was too scared to say anything.

“It’s because Lyra heartstrings… You’re a PATHETIC, GOOD-FOR-NOTHING, FAILURE!” All traces of Octavia’s well-mannered self were gone, leaving behind a rage-filled soul eager to vent its anger on the cowering mint-green unicorn.

“HEY!” the cream-colored earth pony shouted from behind Lyra, suddenly reaching out and blocking Octavia’s hoof before she could strike her again.

“Look, I don’t care what the hay your problem is or what kind of grudge you have against Lyra, but at least act with some civility.” Bon Bon’s voice seemed calm enough, but the look in her eyes said otherwise. “Now please calm down and back off.”

“Yeah, seriously Tavi, I’ve never seen you this angry before. It’s so unlike you.”

“You stay the hell out of this, Vinyl!” Octavia said, still fuming with rage. “You don’t know what happened that night. You both don’t know what happened that night! If you did, then both of you would never talk to this worthless slob again!”
Octavia turned around, walking back to her room. Without turning around, she said, “I’m gonna make you regret coming here. If I catch even a glimpse of your shadow again Lyra Heartstrings, especially at my concert, I’m gonna give your face a pasting so hard that the sound will echo back to Canterlot! Vinyl, let’s go.”

And with that, Octavia walked back to her room with a humph.

“Err…sorry ’bout that,” Vinyl said awkwardly. “I’m not sure what got into her. She’s usually not that…agitated.”

“Agitated? Apoplectic is a better way to describe what I saw,” Bon Bon replied.

Lyra was looking down at the ground, tears filling her eyes. With all her strength, she wiped away the tears in her eyes to mutter out a few words.

“No…I’m…I’m sorry. She’s right, I’m a horrible pony and deserved all of that. It’s good to see you again Vinyl, but you should be getting back to your room now. Octavia will be wondering what took you so long. And Bon Bon, I’ve been enough of a burden at your house. I…I don’t deserve anypony as kind as you. Once we get back, I’ll pack my stuff and—”

“Stop,” Bon Bon said gently. She put a hoof on the lyrist’s shoulder. “Look, whatever happened between you and Octavia isn’t my concern. It doesn’t matter what you once did, but what you’ve done now.”

Bon Bon wrapped her arms around Lyra’s neck.

“Before you moved in with me, Lyra, I had no one. I hadn’t had a friend since high school. I was a hopeless candy shop owner about to go bankrupt. Hope in fact, seemed only a distant memory. But then you…you came into my life, Lyra. You and your lyre brought hope back into my life, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. The earth pony let go of the unicorn and stared into her golden eyes.

“You know why I started a candy shop in the first place?”
Lyra shook her head.

“When I was a filly, my parents didn’t have much, but they always valued my well-being over themselves. Every Saturday, they would buy me a bonbon as a reward for doing my chores and doing well in school. It wasn’t much, but I was grateful. They wanted me to go into engineering, but when I got a candy cutie mark instead, they didn’t complain. They loved me all the same. When I finished high school, my parents sold their house and used the money to pay my college tuition. They had to leave town in order to try to find work elsewhere. I…still don’t know where they are. They left me a note the day before they left telling me to follow my dreams. Life has been rough at times, but ever since I met you, I’ve felt a sense of accomplishment with my work. I feel as if everything my parents and I have done has finally paid off.”

Vinyl’s eyes were slightly teary. Her expression was both awestruck and happy. Lyra was crying out of gratitude for Bon Bon’s acceptance of her.

Lyra composed herself and then said, “Vinyl, Bon Bon, I think you both deserve to know what happened between Octavia and me that night.”

Well, if you haven't noticed already, this fanfic hasn't been updated in quite a while. Don't you worry though, I have at least 5000 words planned for the next chapter with a whole flashback of Octavia and Lyra's past. Once I finish up all my college apps, chapters will be updated with much more consistency. Until then, hold tight everyone.