• Published 18th Jun 2012
  • 1,705 Views, 58 Comments

The Taffy Tale - yotoeman



Bon Bon's candy shop has been failing until one day she hears the music of a certain Lyre player

  • ...
5
 58
 1,705

Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Bon Bon got off the train at the southern train station in Manehatten and the first thing that she saw was a brown, hourglass stallion running with a grey mare with a bubbles cutie mark.

“Hurry, Derpy! We need to get to the TARDIS now!” the stallion said to the mare as they ran past the train stop. Bon Bon was very confused by what she just saw. She knew Derpy as the local mailmare from Ponyville but couldn’t imagine what she was doing in Manehatten. Plus, she noticed a couple of pegasus statues on the ledges of nearby buildings. She was pretty sure that they weren’t there before…

“Lyra, did you just see that?”

“Huh, what?” said Lyra not paying attention. The green unicorn somehow got her lyre case stuck in the doors of the train when it was closing and was now using all her strength to yank the case free. After several seconds of pulling, Lyra finally managed to extricate her case from the doors, but stumbled and fell over onto the ground while doing so.

“Ehhh… nevermind,” said Bon Bon helping her friend up, “We’re here!”
Lyra looked to see where exactly “here” referred to and soon realized that right in front of her were blocks and blocks of skyscrapers. Each one stood mightily above the ground blocking the light of Celestia’s sun from the ground around it. Beneath the skyscrapers were the streets of Manehatten that were crowded with ponies. Most of them had on fancy clothes and had somewhere to be.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Here we are,” a concierge pony said to Bon Bon and Lyra welcoming the guests to their new room. The hotel the two were staying in was called the Swirly Tail Inn and featured a water park on floor one, casinos on floor two, restaurants on floor three, and guest rooms on the floors above that. The two unpacked their bags and began to settle down in their new rooms.

“Ahhh, finally some rest,” Lyra said jumping onto one of the beds in the room and levitating a remote to turn on the T.V., “The chairs on the train are waaaay too lumpy to sleep on. I’ve found rose bushes more comfortable than those menaces.”

“Well I’m glad you’re comfy Lyra, We’ll be staying here for six days,” Bon Bon said as she began unpacking her bags. The room had a kitchen and a refrigerator in it and Bon Bon made sure to bring necessary cooking utensils and spices.

“Six days? That’s like…longer than five days!”

“Reeeeeaally?!?” Bon Bon said, her voice positively dripping with sarcasm, “I had no idea… Anyways, I created a schedule for what we’ll be doing during our stay.”

The earth pony took out a small sheet of paper from her luggage bag and tossed it to Lyra.

Day 1: Visit Pony Art museum
Day 2: Go see the Statue of Marity
Day 3: Ocean boat tour
Day 4: Ice skating, (symphony performance at night)
Day 5: Visit Science museum (Dance party at night!)
Day 6: Go into city for last time and catch 2:00 train home.

“Any extra time we have in between we can visit the city and do some shopping,” said Bon Bon as she finished unpacking her bags. “Now get up little filly. Let’s go to floor three and grab some dinner.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Octavia, along with the rest of her orchestra, was practicing on the stage of the Central Hoof stage. The orchestra had just finished the third movement when suddenly the stage door opened and an utterly disoriented white unicorn burst in. The bright stage lights blinded Vinyl’s already blurred vision, and she managed to knock a startled pony’s double bass out of his hooves. The poor fellow’s instrument was deftly caught by his fellow musician right before it hit the floor. By now, the entire orchestra had stopped playing, and some were glaring at the bemused DJ.

“Wooaaahh, why’d y’all stop playing? That was some pretty *hic* sweet music, Tavi. What’s that song *hic* called?”

“Oh for Celestia’s sake Vinyl, how many times do I have to tell you not to interrupt the rehearsal?”

Octavia set down her cello and briskly walked up to Vinyl. As she approached her, Octavia, as well as everypony on that half of the stage, caught a whiff of alcohol in Vinyl’s breath. Octavia sighed and brought a hoof to her face.

“You’re drunk again, aren’t you Vinyl…”

“Looooooooks like it sweetheart *hic*,” said Vinyl, swaying on two hooves.

“I’m very sorry, everypony,” Octavia said to everypony in the room. “It appears that I have to escort my marefriend out before she breaks something—or somepony.”

“Who’s the old dude, Tavi?” Vinyl asked pointing (with a very shaky hoof) to the grey-maned brown stallion on the podium in front of the orchestra.

“I’m very sorry, Mr. Marehler,” Octavia said looking apologetically at the stallion. “Vinyl really doesn’t know what she’s talking about.”

Octavia turned her attention back to Vinyl.

“He, Vinyl, is our symphony guest conductor, the distinguished Mr. Gustav Marehler. Now, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t insult his age.”

“It’s quite alright,” Marehler said to the pair, “I am getting up there in age after all. I remember when I was still a young colt and love was still young in my life. You two seem real cute together you know that?”

“You hear that Tavi?” Vinyl practically shouted. Octavia, standing right next to her, winced. “I think he’s saying we should go have se…”

“That’s enough, Vinyl!” Octavia said a little too quickly, stuffing a hoof in the unicorn's mouth. “We’re getting you out of here before you do something that we’ll all regret. Again, sorry everypony, I’ll be back soon.”

With that, Octavia dragged the drunken unicorn out the door as the rest of the orchestra continued playing without her.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I’ll have the legumes dish, s’il vous plaît,” Lyra decided looking up from her menu.

“Ah, a fine choice,” the waiter said writing down her order, “Et tu, mademoiselle?”

“Huh?” Bon Bon asked puzzled

“That means ‘and for you miss’,” Lyra whispered to Bon Bon.

“Oh,” Bon Bon said blushing from her lack of fluency in Fancy, “I’ll take the chowder and hay soup please.”

“Excellent choice as well, your order will be ready in 20 minutes.” The waiter left and Bon Bon turned her attention back at Lyra.

“Lyra…? Since when did you learn to speak Fancy?”

“Well you didn’t expect me to be from Canterlot without learning some Fancy, did you Bon Bon?”

“Hmm… I suppose that’s true.”

“And plus, before I came to Ponyville I just so happened to pass by a region north of Equestria that spoke Fancy.”

“Really? And where might that be? “

“Canada.”

“Canada?”

“Yep, Canada.”

“I’ve never heard of Canada.”

“Figures, nobody’s heard of Canada. Oh, and did I tell you that when I was in Baltimare a couple years ago and…”

The two ponies chatted for 20 minutes until their food arrived. Much to Bon Bon’s surprise, Lyra didn’t act in her usual eccentric way from the last time the two had gone out to eat. In fact, Bon Bon seemed to feel out of place not knowing how to act properly in a high class restaurant.

“Uhh Bon Bon…”

“Yes, Lyra?”

“Elbows off the tables, please.”

“Oh, uhh… sorry.”
The two finished eating and got on the elevator back to their room.

“Wow Lyra, since when did you grasp the idea of manners?”

“There are many things you still don’t know about me, Bon Bon,” Lyra replied slyly. “I can be prime and proper when I need to be.”

To that, Bon Bon had no response, and so she just frowned a bit in confusion. Her expression quickly changed when the two reached their floor. “Well, I’m going to go to the balcony. From our floor, we should have one of the best views of the cityscape. You gonna come with me?”

“Uhh…,sure…yeah, why not?” the green unicorn said slowly. She had planned to check out some of the water parks but decided that the slides could wait.

The two ponies trotted over to the balcony and true to Bon Bon’s words, the view from the balcony was spectacular. Instead of normal street lights, the architect had opted for colored lightbulbs to line the streets. It took much more planning and effort but was well worth it. Apart from helping lost children find their way home, the view from high above was simply breathtaking. Above the city, Luna’s full moon was out for all of Equestria to see.

“Wow, this is even better than I originally thought it would be. Isn’t it beautiful Lyra?” said a dazzled Bon Bon, still staring down at the city in front of her. The green unicorn watched the city for a while and then shifted her focus to the yellow earth pony right next to her. The moonlight seemed to shine brightly on her mane and coat. Lyra stared at the earth pony in awe for several moments. She watched the wind blowing through Bon Bon’s mane gently. She saw Bon Bon’s gentle smile as she enjoyed her aesthetic moment. Most of all, Lyra admired the earth pony’s gleaming blue eyes. Despite the intensity of the city lights below, none seemed to come close to the radiance of Bon Bon’s turquoise eyes.

“Lyra?” Bon Bon asked, still staring at the city, “Are you going to answer my question?”
Lyra broke her gaze and looked down at the ground blushing red. A small smile appeared on the unicorn’s face.

“Yeah,” Lyra said finally, “It is beautiful.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vinyl awoke when she felt her face, along with the rest of her body, smack against a hard wooden floor.

“You’ve napped straight through dinner Vinyl; it’s time to get up.”

“Oww, Tavi, was tipping over my mattress really necessary?”

“Yes, it was. I already wasted five minutes slapping and shouting at you, and there was no alternative.”

“Blehh…” Vinyl groggily got on her hooves, “What the hay happened? And what time is it?”

“I’ll tell you after you grab some takeout food from the restaurant. Go quickly though, it’s on the second floor and closes in about fifteen minutes. Run along now unless you want to starve, because I already ate. And grab me a banana from the fruit bar while you’re there. I like bananas. They’re great for potassium.”

Vinyl groaned, donned her trademark shades, and began to slowly walk down to the Fancy restaurant.

On the way back, Vinyl noticed that at her floor had a balcony at the end of the hall. The white unicorn had heard some ponies in the lobby earlier that day talking about some cool Manehatten lights that shown at night.

“Well, couldn’t hurt to see, could it?” she thought to herself and walked onto the balcony. Apparently there were two ponies already there. One of them looked shockingly familiar to Vinyl.

That’s not Lyra is it?, Vinyl thought to herself. Nah, it couldn’t be, she’s still in Ponyville in some candy shop.
As the white unicorn approached closer however, the mane of the unicorn appeared to be a mint color. It can’t be, can it?
Vinyl took a few more steps closer and saw that the cutie mark was a lyre. Vinyl’s jaw fell, dropping the bag containing the food she was holding with her mouth. Her shades fell off her face and fell neatly into the bag. She then quickly sprinted back to her room to tell Octavia who she found. In her haste, she forgot both her belongings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lyra turned around when she heard the sound of somepony running down the hotel halls.

“Bon Bon? Did you hear that?”

“What’s that, little filly?” Bon Bon replied not paying attention. Lyra noticed a small bag at the door to the balcony.

“Hey, who left this here?”

Bon Bon turned around and looked at the bag with confusion. “Lyra, did you notice anypony step into the balcony?”

“Well, I heard somepony running through the halls. Maybe they left this in a hurry?” Lyra started rummaging through the bag.

“Lyra, you can’t just look through somepony’s stuff!”

“Relax, Bon Bon, its somepony’s takeout food, probably from the restaurant we ate at. Hang on, what’s this?” She pulled out Vinyl’s shades. The food inside was wrapped in more packaging, keeping the glasses clean.

“Hmmm, these shades seem really familiar…” Lyra flipped them around in her magic. “Actually, these look a lot like the shades Vin–” Lyra paused, her eyes widening. “Oh no.”


Hey all, again sorry for taking so long this time around. I don't really have an excuse except that my editor and I were playing league of lege...I mean uhhh going to summer school ^ ^. My editor did a real nice job this time around though so I hope you all enjoy :). Comment, like and tell your friends! Have a nice day!