• Published 18th Jun 2012
  • 1,704 Views, 58 Comments

The Taffy Tale - yotoeman



Bon Bon's candy shop has been failing until one day she hears the music of a certain Lyre player

  • ...
5
 58
 1,704

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Octavia put down her cello and stomped her fore hoof at the ground in frustration.

“Come on Octavia,” the grey earth pony said to herself, “you can do this. Just remember Octavia, what you need right now is focus. Clear your mind and…whaaaaaaa!”
Octavia’s concentration was broken when a white unicorn pony with two eighth notes as a cutie mark tackled the cellist to the floor landing right on top of her.

“Hey there hot stuff,” the unicorn said with a grin, “this is certainly a nice position we…”

“Vinyl, get off me please…”

“But sweetie, I thought maybe....”

“I said get off dammit!”
The white unicorn groaned and got off of the earth pony. Octavia began to brush off the dust that had gotten on her while she was on the ground.

“Seriously Vinyl, how many times do I have to tell you not to disturb me while I’m practicing? The way you’ve been acting lately, you’re beginning to remind me of what Lyra Heartstrings use to be like.”
Vinyl stopped her grin and put on a much more serious expression.

“It’s funny that you mention Lyra actually. Just three days ago, I was wandering around Ponyville after finishing the fashion gig I told you about when I heard the familiar music of a lyre playing. Sure enough, as I followed the music to its source, I saw the green unicorn sitting on a stool inside of a candy shop. I turned and left before she noticed me but it seems to me that Lyra found herself a new job.”

“Candy shop huh?” responded the earth pony, “Well whatever… it’s not like I care anymore anyways. As long as that numskull never shows her face here in Canterlot again, she can do whatever the hay she wants.”

“Oh come on now Tavi; was it really that bad?”

“It was Vinyl… I’ve never been more humiliated in my life. After the incident, I personally kicked Lyra out of my orchestra making sure that she would never be allowed to reenter again. I can never forgive that mare Vinyl. Not after what she did.”
Vinyl shrugged at the earth pony’s anguish remarks.

“I don’t know Tavi, she seemed like a cool pony to hang out with”

“That’s because you don’t know the real Lyra. When you really get to know her, the real her, you’d be crazy to want to have anything to do with that mare.”
Octavia grabbed her cello and bow.

“Now then Vinyl, if you’ll excuse me I have some very important practicing to do for next week’s concert. I’ll be available after eight O’clock if you want some ‘fun’”

“Oh don’t you worry Tavi, I’ll be sure to be back later for some ‘fun’.” Vinyl responded once again expressing a wide grin on his face causing Octavia to blush. The white unicorn turned and left the room as Octavia resumed her practice session.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lyra awoke, much to her surprise, by her own power and not from the earth pony she had been living with. She looked up at the wall clock that had been hanging in her room.

“Oh look at that,” Lyra whispered to herself, “Bon Bon must have not woken me yet because it’s only 11. Yep, now then, time to go back to…wait a sec… Oh son of a…!”
The unicorn immediately jumped out of her bed and sprinted to the counter of the candy shop where she saw Bon Bon cleaning the counter with a towel.

“Bon Bon! I’m sorry! Why didn’t you wake me…”

“Well actually Lyra…”

“I mean, I know you’ve been telling that I need to go to sleep earlier…”

“Lyra…”

“It’s just that I just loooooove watching My Little Human and it only goes on at twelve O’clock each…

“LYRA!”
The green unicorn stopped her babbling and looked at the shouting earth pony.

“Alright then, now that I have your attention, I can continue where I left off. It’s actually quite alright that you were up late today because I’ve decided to give both of us the day off.”
Lyra looked at the earth pony with a puzzled expression. Ever since Lyra gave away all her bits to pay off Bon Bon’s debts, Bon Bon had been splitting one third of the profits to Lyra, one third of the profits to herself, and one third of the profits to pay for the monthly rent and store supplies. Lyra had been working at the shop for one month and Bon Bon has yet to give either of them a break.

“Why? What’s the occasion?” the unicorn asked

“Well two reasons actually. First off, this morning I had some stallions come in and put up a couple new shelves over there.”
Bon Bon pointed to the two brand new shelves on the right side of the store that Lyra had apparently not noticed.

“And second, we’ve already earned enough for this month’s rent cost so I decided that we should do something non-work related today for a change.”

“Where are you planning to take us?” the unicorn asked with a smile.

“Well first we’ll go to outback hayhouse to grab some lunch, my treat. Next...well actually I’m not sure. You want to decide after we get something to eat?”
Lyra's stomach growled at the comment.

“I’m going to take that as a yes,” the earth pony said giggling.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lyra hit the pavement of the road face first. As she began to dust herself off, she saw that a projectile Bon Bon landed right next to her also hitting the pavement face first.

“And stay out!” a voice from behind them called. Bon Bon got up and looked at Lyra with a more than annoyed expression.

“Well Lyra, I hope you're proud of yourself. This is the second establishment you’ve managed to get me kicked out of, which is two more than I ever hoped for.”
Lyra looked up at Bon Bon and gave a weak smile trying to look as innocent as possible.

“Yeah… sorry about that. It’s just… It’s just I got bored while waiting for you to get back from the bathroom so I started to stack the glass cups and plates on top of each other, which is surprisingly amusing.”
Bon Bon gave out a sigh and shook her head, “I know Lyra…I heard the sound of glass breaking while I was walking back from the bathroom and the next thing I knew the restaurant manager was grabbing my back.”

“Haha yeah…” the green unicorn said still trying to sound innocent. The earth pony finished brushing dust off her coat.

“Well anyways, it doesn’t really matter since we already ate the food. Now then, let’s discuss where we’re planning to go to this afternoon, any suggestions?”

“Hmm…” the unicorn said, “I remember overhearing a few fillies at the Celestia park area the other day saying that there was a hidden zip lining spot just north of Sweet Apple Acres. Apparently there are a few zip lines set up there due to some old amusement park that was too lazy to get rid of their zip lines after they shut down years ago.
Bon Bon raised an eyebrow at Lyra’s odd suggestion, “Are you sure it’s safe? If the ropes have just been hanging there for all these years, don’t you think that they are easier to break?”
“Don't worry about that” replied the unicorn, “trust me on this one. When I was a filly, I became an expert zip liner after zip lining every Sunday with my grandpa.”
Bon Bon gave Lyra a look only half believing the statement. She decided to save her breath though and cautiously followed Lyra to their destination.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Are you ready Bon Bon?”

“No Lyra, I’ve been telling you that for the past…”

“Well too bad! YOLO!”

“Wait! Lyraaaaaa…!”
It was too late though as the green unicorn pushed the yellow earth pony with all her strength down the zip line. Lyra then shouted a loud “Woo Hoo!” and jumped off the platform herself following the yellow earth pony down the zip line.
A few seconds after Bon Bon was pushed off the platform, she opened her eyes to see if she had died yet. Instead, she was greeted by the wind flowing straight through her body. It was an exhilarating feeling for Bon Bon as she had never done anything this extreme. She closed her eyes and embraced the feeling for a full minute.
“You know,” the earth pony said to herself, “This is actually really nice!”
“I know right!”
Bon Bon turned around and to her horror, noticed that Lyra was only a few yards behind her.
“Lyra! Are you blind or something? The sign on the platform clearly stated that there should only be one rider at a time!”
“Did it? Oh, I must have been too excited to noti…”
Lyra was cut off however as suddenly both ponies heard a “crack” sound as the line they were hanging from suddenly snapped into two. The two ponies gave out loud screams as they started to fall and hit the tree branches that were directly under the zip line. After several seconds of tumbling and rolling, the two ponies finally hit the bottom surface.

Lyra opened her eyes and began to dust herself off. She was very surprised that she did not sustain any injuries from the fall aside from parts of her being covered in cuts, bruises, and tree sap.

“Hmm… well that was really quite fortunate,” the unicorn thought to herself, “Hopefully Bon Bon…wait a sec.” The green unicorn looked around to see any sign of the earth pony and found that she was lying twenty feet to her right. The green unicorn ran to the Bon Bon and began panicking when she noticed that the earth pony was unconscious.

“Bon Bon wake up! Wake up!” Lyra cried shaking Bon Bon trying to get her to regain consciousness.

“Oh, this is all my fault. Stay here Bon Bon while I go get some help.”
The unicorn had only taken one step however when the earth pony suddenly shot up to a sitting position.

“Bon Bon? Are you alright?”

“That…that was…the best thing ever!”
The earth pony suddenly jumped back onto all four hooves.

“The wind hitting my body, my mane flowing through the air, being so...so free, it was all so amazing. Oh my Celestia, Lyra, thank you so much for taking me here. That was without a doubt the most fun I’ve ever had in my life.” The earth pony ran to the unicorn and placed her lips onto the unicorns for a few seconds before letting go. The unicorn looked at the ground face flushing red due to the unexpected embrace of the earth pony. After several seconds, the adrenaline wore off of Bon Bon and she suddenly realized what she had just done. The earth pony too suddenly turned red in the cheeks and looked down at the ground in embarrassment. The two ponies stayed in this position for several minutes; neither one making a sound. It was Lyra who finally broke the silence.

“Well then… I suppose… we should get back to the shop then. It’s getting rather late isn’t it?”

“Yeah…” Bon Bon responded awkwardly, “That’s probably a good idea…”
The two ponies trotted back to Bon Bon’s shop neither one speaking a word to each other about the incident or anything else.