• Published 18th Jun 2012
  • 1,704 Views, 58 Comments

The Taffy Tale - yotoeman



Bon Bon's candy shop has been failing until one day she hears the music of a certain Lyre player

  • ...
5
 58
 1,704

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Bon Bon woke up the next day to the sound of somepony ringing her shop’s door bell. It was 8 A.M., an hour before Bon Bon opened her shop. As Bon Bon looked up at her calendar, she realized exactly who was at the door. It was the 15th day of the month which meant one thing: debt collectors.

“I know you’re in there Miss. Taffy!”
Bon Bon groaned recognizing the voice and slowly trotted to open the door.

“Hi there Golden Tate, what brings you here today?” Bon Bon asked sarcastically

“Don’t you play funny games with me Miss Taffy; you know exactly why I’m here. Now fork over the bits.”

Bon Bon sighed and handed Golden Tate the bag that had all her earnings in it.

“That’s only 500 bits.” Golden Tate said angrily, “You owe 1000 bits for this month alone and 5000 bits compounded in total.”

“Yeah yeah I know I know. It’s just business has been...”

“Business has been slow ever since that dentist moved in blah blah blah,” interrupted Golden Tate mockingly, “Look, you can make all the dumb excuses you want but I’ll just cut the chase. You have one more week to get me at least 2000 of the 5000 bits you owe the Tate bank or I’m taking away your whole shop. Now then, good day to you, I have more important business to attend to.”

“But...”

“I said good day!” yelled Golden Tate shutting the door in Bon Bon’s face.

“Sheesh,” Bon Bon thought to herself, “Nice stallion he is.” Still though, Bon Bon knew she had no other choice; she had to think of some way to come up with 2000 bits within a week’s time or else she might already be considered homeless.

It was 6:50 in the evening; 10 minutes before Bon Bon would be closing her shop for the day. As much as she wanted to keep the shop open as long as possible hoping for some customers, new Ponyville law required all local shops to close at 7 O’clock in order for the Ponyville government to obtain maximum profits from the new Central Ponyville Mall which opens each day at 7 O’clock. Bon Bon hadn’t seen any pony in her shop all-day aside from a lost Pegasus looking for directions, a pink earth pony who really needed to use the bathroom, and a little colt who was quickly pulled away by his mother after just entering the shop. Bon Bon went over to the door sign and changed it from open to closed. At the thoughts of how desperate her situation was, she let out a small tear of sadness which she quickly sucked back in her eye.

“No, I’m not giving up that easy,” Bon Bon thought to herself. She started to trot to her kitchen where she began making herself a cup of ramen noodles when she heard something come from outside her store. It sounded like...a Harp? Bon Bon was sure of it now; it sounded exactly like the same instrument that had been playing the day before. There was something different about it today though; the chords sounded major, optimistic even. Bon Bon wasn’t quite sure why, but she walked outside her shop and towards where the music was. It sounded as if it was calling her.

As Bon Bon started to walk towards to source of the music, she noticed she was starting to enter the Celestia park area. She continued walking as the music grew louder and louder until she eventually reached a small crowd of ponies gathered around something. As she came closer to the ponies, she realized the source of the music was from a green unicorn pony with a mint colored mane playing on a park bench. As Bon Bon watched the unicorn strum each chord, she noticed the elegancy that the unicorn was playing at. Each chord was played with care, each one unique in its volume and length. She glared at the unicorn playing her instrument for a good 5 minutes before the unicorn played her last chord and received a warm applaud from the small crowd.

“Thank you, Thank you!” said the green unicorn mare, “Name’s Lyra Heartstrings. No need for bits. I do this because it’s fun and not for the money.” The crowd slowly started to disseminate leaving only Lyra on the bench and Bon Bon still staring at the unicorn with eyes wide open.

“Do I have dust on my horn or something?” asked Lyra puzzled at Bon Bon’s intense gaze.

“Huh? Oh sorry.” Said Bon Bon snapping out of her dazzled state, “That music you were playing, it was incredible!”

“uhh... thanks,” said Lyra as she started to pack her instrument into her lyre case. Bon Bon continued to stand in her place as Lyra.

“You gonna stand there all day or something?” asked Lyra. Bon Bon was starting to get a few crazy ideas in her head.

“So you play here often? Or did you just move in? Are you rich and that’s why you don’t need any bits? What was that song you were playing? I’ve never seen you before and I was thinking that maybe if you don’t mind, if you could...”

“Hold on a moment please,” interrupted Lyra, “You’re beginning to sound like the pony I met at Sugar Cube corner yesterday. I’ll answer one question at a time thank you very much. I’m a traveler from Canterlot going from town to town. Yes, I am rich because I use to be a high class musician in Canterlot.”

“Use to?” asked Bon Bon, “What happened?”

“I’d rather not discuss it...” said Lyra looking at the ground. Bon Bon felt kind of guilty for bringing up the subject.

“Well that’s alright, we won’t discuss it then.” Bon Bon said trying her best to change the subject.

“So then,” said Lyra suddenly shooting her head back up, “what was that last question you were going to ask me?”
Bon Bon retraced her thoughts to remember what she had previously said.

“Well now that I think about it, maybe it’s not such a great idea.”

“No No please, you can say it. I won’t be offended I promise.” Lyra gave Bon Bon a reassuring smile that made Bon Bon feel comfortable enough to ask her question.

“Well I was wondering, if you aren’t busy, if you could play at my candy shop to drive in some customers. I really need a way to get some bits to appease my debt collectors. But now that I think about it, there’s no way that I would be able to pay you so I don’t know, I guess we can just forget...”

“Say no more.” said Lyra placing her hoof on Bon Bon’s mouth before she continued further. “Like I said before, I play for the fun, not for the bits. Of course I’ll help you out in your time of trouble.”

“Really! You will!?” Bon Bon squeaked as she gave the green unicorn a hug. “Oh my god, I don’t know how to thank you.”

“Yeah... sure thing” said Lyra weakly. “Now can you let go? You’re beginning to choke me to death.”

“Heehee, sorry about that,” said Bon Bon red from embarrassment, “Guess I got kind of carried away there.”

“It’s alright; I get carried away a lot too. There is a favor I would like to ask you for though Miss...”

“Taffy” replied Bon Bon finishing the unicorn’s sentence for her, “You can just call me Bon Bon though. And yes, I’ll do any favor for you.”

“Are you sure? It’s a pretty big favor” said Lyra. Bon Bon was beginning to get worried at what Lyra might ask but she nodded her head anyway.

“Alright then,” continued Lyra, “It’s this. Like I said before, I am a traveling pony. So far every town I’ve visited I either had a friend there, or there were hotels where I could stay in. When I arrived at Ponyville I had expected the same but to my surprise, and I’m sure you already know this, there are no hotels here. Yesterday I slept on this bench here inside this park. It’s not that it’s not comfortable here; I’ve slept in beds far lumpier. The problem is this.” Lyra pointed to the instrument case next to her.

“Your harp?” asked Bon Bon causing Lyra rolled her eyes.

“My Lyre. I’m always afraid that somepony's going to steal it when I’m fast asleep out here. I was wondering therefore, if you have room, if I could perhaps live with you for a while?”

Bon Bon considered the prospect. She did have an extra bedroom in her shop that roomed her sister before she moved out. It might be a little trouble helping Lyra adjust to being in Ponyville, but considering the desperation of her situation, it would be the last thing on her mind she thought.

“You’re a very lucky mare then.” Bon Bon replied, “I just so happen to have an extra room available at my shop.

“Great,” Lyra said picking up her lyre case. “Let’s getting going then.”