• Published 18th Jun 2012
  • 1,705 Views, 58 Comments

The Taffy Tale - yotoeman



Bon Bon's candy shop has been failing until one day she hears the music of a certain Lyre player

  • ...
5
 58
 1,705

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A yellow earth pony with blue and pink curls looked down at the order she just received; five boxes of Horshey bars that were to be delivered to the address of 2152 Neighway lane. Bon Bon recognized the address as Berry Punch's house.

“She must be hosting another one of her drinking parties” Bon Bon thought to herself as she started to package the treats. Whatever the reason though, Bon Bon was happy that she had received the order. Business had been really slow for Bon Bon lately ever since the local dentist Colgate moved into town. Ponies were becoming much more aware of the harmful effects that candies had on their teeth and as a result, less and less ponies visited Bon Bon’s shop. Bon Bon gave out a sigh as she picked up the package and walked out the door. In the old days, Bon Bon could afford to hire delivery ponies and keep a few ponies at the shop as well to help customers choose from a variety of different candies. Nowadays, Bon Bon was lucky to have one pony come through her shop doors. Having employees was useless as Bon Bon now did everything in her shop herself. She didn’t even need somepony to watch the shop while she delivered Berry her order as there probably wouldn’t be any customers anyway.

Bon Bon knocked on the door of Berry Punch’s house. As the door started to open, Bon Bon heard loud distorted sounds that seemed to her like Disco music. She looked up and noticed that the party had apparently already started at Berry Punch’s house.

“What up Bons?” said Berry in a tone clearly indicating that she was no longer sober. “Glad you could make the Paaaaaarty!”

“Uhhh... actually Berry, I’m only here to deliver you the treats you ordered.”

“Ohhhhhh yeeaaahhhh. Now I remember. How much do I owe ya again?”

“20 bits Berry.” Bon Bon replied smelling the apple cider in Berry’s speech.

“Welp alrighty then, here ya go Bons”

“Uhh Berry, that’s 30 bits.” said Bon Bon handing 10 bits back, “There, that’s 10 bits back.”

“Why thaaaaaank you.” said Berry looking as if she was about to pass out. She closed the door as Bon Bon turned around to go back to her shop. Bon Bon took only one step however before she heard a loud thump coming from inside Berry’s house. As Bon Bon continued to walk back home, she started to think about what she had just done. The extra 10 bits would have helped pay her debts tremendously if she had decided to take advantage of Berry’s mistake. Bon Bon had always been a pony of integrity since she was a little filly. Still though, Bon Bon wondered how far integrity could actually take her in life; it definitely didn’t help her pay the bills. At this point in fact, Bon Bon had often thought about changing professions and giving up becoming a successful candy seller to pursue a career that was more stable.

Bon Bon had to consider this for another time though as her thoughts were broken up by the notes of what sounded like a harp. Throughout her whole lifetime, Bon Bon didn't hear many musical instruments as small towns like Ponyville didn’t have many musicians. There simply wasn’t a need for them as citizens weren’t as upper crust so to speak like the ponies of Canterlot. The music sounded rather nice to her, although it was played in a minor key.

“Must be a touring musician,” thought Bon Bon not giving it another thought. She finally made it back to her shop where she went back to sitting at her counter. Aside from the financial stress she was in, the other unfortunately thing that a lack of customers brought for Bon Bon is that it made her incredibly lonely. Often she would sit there for hours by herself doing nothing else aside from watching the front door hoping that somepony would enter. The music that had been playing before was loud enough that Bon Bon could hear it from within her shop. It made Bon Bon feel slightly better in a way to know that even in the most desperate of times, there were small comforts in the world for somepony such as herself to enjoy.