• Published 24th May 2016
  • 588 Views, 14 Comments

The Black Parade - Quillian Inkheart



The Black Parade; a band created by a Changeling named Alessio, to honor his adopted father. His unusual band has one goal; to defeat the demons that live in the heart of every thinking creature - negative emotions such as doubt, fear, and anxiety.

  • ...
5
 14
 588

Chapter 3: I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

"What does the Parade mean to me? Well, that's a strange question, little pony. It means tons of things; from the uniting of many races under the banner of music, to getting you ponies to accept us dragons, to celebrating those who came before us in a grand fashion. I don't see how that's so complicated.
"My brother and I met Defender out of nowhere, and he told us we could change the world. He and Galiana just showed up in Dragon Territory, ignoring every dragon, except us. We had just lost our mother, the last kin we had, and we'd no more reason to stay. So, we left; simple as that. We went with him and Galiana to see if what he said had any merit. For weeks, we just traveled together and got to know one another. Eventually, he bridged the topic of this band -- The Black Parade -- to honor the deceased.
"Me and Blaise have no idea how he learned about our mother. It was almost like he could smell our loneliness. We all agreed that this band sounded awesome, but we needed at least one more member. Me and Blaise picked up guitars to help him out and practiced non-stop from then on out. Turns out, we're pretty good at it. Who would've known, huh? Dragons can make music too.

- Brimstone, Lead Guitarist for the Black Parade


Brimstone flew through the streets of Manehattan, clutching a newspaper in her claw. Galiana flapped her wings beside her, the odd pair drawing stares from all over. A Griffon was rare on the streets of Manehattan; a Dragon unheard of. The two darted around the corner towards the Bluecoat Hotel, where the band was staying.

"Maybe he didn't see it. Look, we just need to make sure he doesn't read that paper." Galiana huffed, tired. "Easy!"

"Why is this such a big deal, Galiana?" Brim asked, gritting her teeth. The Griffon was being particularly enigmatic this morning and it was bothering Brimstone. The two had gone out for a girl's day on the town, only to go darting back when Galiana read some stupid article in the newspaper.

"Just trust me, he'll care. He'll care a lot." Galiana landed outside the hotel, holding the door open for Brimstone. "You go on ahead. Just make sure he doesn't read that article."

Brimstone rolled her eyes, but jogged in, heading to the elevator and starting up to the higher floors of the hotel. The Parade had purchased a nice space, using some of their Trottingham funds; a five start hotel, with a pair of near-suite quality rooms. Brimstone and Galiana shared one, while the guys took the other. Brim charged right for that room, knocking on the door.

There was a long pause, before Defender's voice rang out. "Come on in."

Brim sighed and slid inside, shutting the door. When she turned to look at her band's vocalist, however, he was already levitating his own copy of the newspaper in front of him. Brimstone chuckled, hiding her own paper behind a plant near the door. "Is that today's paper? How'd we do in the review coulomb?" She walked over, hiding any anxiety from her face.

Defender lowered the paper, blinking at her. "What's got you so riled up?"

Brim cursed inwardly. None of them could ever hide how they really felt from Defender. It was like trying to fly in a blizzard; you'd just get dragged down with the snow. She could, however, still lie to him. "I'm just nervous about the review, is all." She walked over, holding out her claw for the paper. "Lemme see..."

Galiana burst into the room, just as Brim was about to take the paper. "You gave him it? Are you dense, Brim?"

Brimstone felt her eye twitch. She supposed how, without context, it could look like she was just handing the paper to Defender. However, this sparked a new level of curiosity in the Unicorn.

"Is there something the matter with this paper, Galiana?" Defender levitated it back in front of him, tilting his head. "We did rather well in the reviews. I don't see what has you so scared... It's just a-... What's this?" Defender turned the page, reading in silence. Then, he read aloud, his voice blank and emotionless.

"Changelings among us; Can we trust anypony...?" He flipped ahead to the article itself, reading with a fevered, blind determination. "Changelings hiding among the populace? Reported sightings of 'black shelled monsters'...? Missing ponies believed to be stolen by Changelings...?"

Brimstone watched as Defender's body tensed, his eyes going wide.

"Three Changelings found hiding among populace and were... exterminated... by an angry mob..." He whispered the last word, shaking. He flicked his head, reading faster. "Believed to be spies... lived in Canterlot for years... no one can be trusted... exterminated..." He stood silent for a moment, shaking his head. "They killed them... But they weren't even... They were just living like a normal family!" He shouted, his magic shredding the edges of the paper. "It even admits it! They were 'masquerading' as a family? Are you ponies all stupid!? Some of us just want to be free!" He was screaming at the paper, snarling.

Brimstone raised an eyebrow and looked to Galiana, who was opening the door. "I think you should go, Brim."

"After that? With him like this? No way."

"I wasn't asking. Out." Galiana gave the Dragon a level look. "I don't want to ask twice. Now is a really bad time."

"Ugh!" Defender snarled, the paper burning to ash in a second. "Unbelievable!" Brimstone looked back to her long-time friend to say something, but narrowed her eyes. Something was wrong with his eyes. They weren't red anymore. They were a solid cyan, and filled with anger.

"Wait a second...? You're joking..." Brim looked back to Galiana. "And you knew? He's one of them?" Brim demanded, pointing at Defender.

The vocalist snapped his head to her, his eyes returning to their normal color. "And? So what if I am? What does that change, huh? Didn't you ever even once stop to think why a Unicorn would be making a band about equality? Stupid. Shut that door." Galiana did, looking slightly disheartened.

In a flash of green fire, Defender showed his true colors; black and cyan, incidentally.

"So, you get it now? I'm a Changeling. Are you going to attack me now, Brim? Strike me down, because I'm some love-devouring freak?" He stood in front of the dragon, staring at her defiantly. Brimstone was stunned and silent. When she didn't respond or move, even to lower her claw, he continued. "I was raised by a pony. I'm not evil, like all the close minded bigots might wish me to be." Brimstone felt her arm drop to her side, her eyes wide. Shame crawled through her and she felt her ears fold back. She had to look away from Defender; she just couldn't meet his stare after what she'd said. "I can feel your shame. You think that makes it okay?" Defender trotted closer, shaking his head. "I can taste your fear too. You're afraid of me." He narrowed his eyes. "And you're confused. Very confused."

"Well, at least this explains how you always know what I'm feeling..." Brim cleared her throat and calmed herself down. "I'm just... Kinda shocked, that's all. I never would've guessed you were..."

"A monster?"

"Not a pony." Brim corrected. "You act a lot like them; not like some 'love-devouring freak' as you so indelicately put it." Brimstone smiled a little. "It says a lot about your kind. At least, you. And I'm not afraid of you, Defender. I'm afraid that I just screwed up and lost one of the only creatures I consider family, by acting like some big-headed moron."

Defender stared at her in silence, likely gauging her emotions. He glimpsed over to Galiana, who was looking ashamed of herself. "You assumed I knew them, didn't you?"

Galiana gave a small nod. "How many Changelings could be hiding out here? I just assumed you all stuck together."

"And how would I have known what they were?" Defender asked, snapping back into the shape of a Unicorn. "We keep our identities hidden from everypony. I didn't know them... But it's upsetting none the less." He looked to the pile of ash. "... Do you think they'd kill me, if they found out?"

Brimstone suddenly felt sick. She hadn't even considered that, when she'd accused him like she had. No matter what he was, Defender was her friend. She walked across the room, putting a claw on him comfortingly. "They could try. But they'd have a whole band to get through before they could touch you." Galiana, from her place by the door, shouted an affirmative, brandishing her claw like a weapon.

Defender looked up to them both and smiled, then looked back to the floor. "My real name is Alessio. I figure there's no reason to keep anymore secrets, is there?"

"Guess not..." Brimstone took a seat, running her claw over her face. "You know, so much stuff makes way more sense now." Brimstone looked over to Alessio, raising an eyebrow. "You didn't feed on any of us, right?"

Alessio chuckled, giving her a rueful smirk. "Maybe once or twice, when I was starving. But I never take enough to do any harm. All of you, you all love this band and that's what I feed off of. Not your love for somepony or anything like that."

Brimstone shuddered. "Ew. Me and a pony? No, sorry, I ain't into that whole cross-species dating thing." Alessio laughed and Galiana was forced to join, not being able to contain it. "So... When are you planning on telling the others?" Alessio froze, like a rabbit spotted by a predator. "They deserve to know, Alessio. I promise, none of them will hold it against you."

Alessio sighed and looked down, eyes peering over to the burnt paper again. "How can I be sure, Brimstone? You didn't exactly react positively at first."

"At first, maybe not. I was surprised and hurt and maybe a little confused. Dragons don't do well with one emotion, Defender, and you had me feeling like... eight." The Changeling gave a laugh.

"Oh, don't I know. It smelt like a smorgasbord of flavors." Alessio chuckled out. Brimstone crossed her arms, staring at him pointedly. "Hey, I never said I partook of the meal." Alessio sat down, sighing. "They do deserve to know, I know that, but it's not easy."

"So, test the waters. See how they react to Changelings and pick who you tell. I mean, you really only have Sigurd, Blasie and Flick left to tell. I get the impression my brother won't care, since I don't, so that leaves two."

Alessio considered that and smiled. "Yeah. I suppose you're right."

"Good." Brimstone stretched her arms and wings, several bones giving off pleasant pops and cracks. "So, we've got a concert in a few hours. Shouldn't we be setting up?"

"Yeah, we really should." Alessio sighed, looking over to Galiana. "How're the sales looking?"

Galiana gave a wink and thumbs up. "We're gold, Alessio."

Brimstone looked over to Defender, who was back to staring at the burnt paper on the floor. "You alright, boss?"

Alessio was silent for a time, then nodded. "Yeah. I'm okay now." With a flicker of magic, he blew the ash and dust away, off into the trash.

-♪-♪-♪-

"We're not even close to ready!" Flickering Shadows darted here and there, showing off the jumpy speed that made Alessio like him in the first place. He seemed to just be there suddenly, before being over there and then over there. He was erratic and jumpy, just the way Alessio liked it.

"Calm down, Flick. It'll work out." Alessio gave an amused chuckle. "Did you prepare the pyrotechnics? That's all we really need for this set. You can put up the rest during the intermission." Alessio asked, straightening his uniform.

"Of course, Def. I don't ever skip out on the fire." Flick landed, his golden eyes darting. "Are all of you ready? That'd be a huge help."

"Almost, little Flick." Sigurd boomed from where he was setting up his drums. "You should be relaxing, yes? This will be good time. Manehattan is big city, less stuffy than Trottingham. Should be great party." The Yak grinned ear to ear, laughing to himself as he went about his work.

"That's the problem," Flick said, darting around like a fly. "So much pressure! This is way bigger; did you know we sold out in two days? Two! That's a huge jump from last time. We're packed to the brink here."

"Quit it, Flick. We don't need any more stress ourselves." Brimstone sighed out, bringing her guitar to bear. "You guys already ran the sound check, right?"

"Do I look like a foal? Of course we did." Flick landed, flapping his wings for a few seconds after. "You're all set, if Sigurd would stop fussing over his drums."

"You did not set them right. But is okay; am not blaming you, Flick. You are not Yak, so you do not know how Yak like things." The Yak inched the drums over to one side, lining his hooves up to check the symmetry. "You are only mostly Yak. Is perfect now!" He clapped his hooves once, turning to the others. "So, are we ready to be making some music, friends?"

Galiana shared a look with Brimstone, who smirked, while her brother tuned his guitar, sitting in unusual silence.

"I think we're all set." Alessio smirked and looked towards the curtain, hearing the cheering of the crowd beyond.

The band surrounded him, all loaning their silent support as the curtain raised. Alessio knew he had a family; even if that family didn't know all there was to know about him.

-♪-♪-♪-

The punch knocked Alessio off his hooves, sending him to the ground with a thud. Alessio worked his jaw for half a second, then looked up to Blaise, who was snarling, his claws closed into a fist.

"How long till you were gonna tell us?" Blaise asked, frowning. "Hm? I would've been way less inclined to follow you if I'd known what you were."

Alessio pulled himself up, staring at Blaise with a reproachful look. He peered over to Brimstone, who stood silently off to the side. Seeing his stare, she mouthed 'I'm sorry' to him, looking back down.

"And what do you think now? You gonna leave the band?" Alessio responded, staring down his backup guitarist and friend. Blaise crossed his arms, sighing.

"Nah. You've done good by us, all this time. You were there when no one else was. Now? You make me wonder about all those shape-shifters." Blaise shook his head. "I just don't like being lied to and I don't like surprises. I'd give you another punch, if I thought it'd make me feel any better, but it won't." The draconic guitarist looked over Alessio with a clinical stare. "Tell Sigurd and Flick, or I will. They deserve to know."

"Flick might be a little much." Brimstone spoke up from nearby, scratching the back of her head. "He's new and is a little... jumpy."

"All the more reason he should know now." Blaise sighed, rubbing his claw over his face. "By Empress Ember's horns, you could've been killed, Def. Why are we going deeper into Equestria? They hate Changelings."

"Which is exactly why we need to go all the way to Canterlot. Maybe beyond. I want to show this kingdom that being a Changeling doesn't make somepony evil. It's how you're raised, what your morals are, that determine things like that." Alessio stood tall when he spoke, making Blaise reconsider him.

"Alright. Fine." Blaise turned, rolling his shoulder. "But if they find out and don't like it... We'll need to make a break for it. I don't much like the idea of fighting off an army to keep your safe, Def."

Alessio felt himself smile, nodding. "Yeah, I agree... Thanks Blaise."

Blaise looked back, rolling his eyes. "Stop acting like such a prissy pony, Def. Me and Brim swore a long time ago, you and any of the members of this band would be like family to us. But family doesn't keep secrets from other family, Def. Tell Sigurd and Flick, pronto. Okay?"

Alessio could smell Blaise's determination, taste his pride. He was happy to call him family, even if he'd never say it. Alessio nodded a little, looking off to the side, towards a window. "At our next show, I'll tell them. You have my word, Blaise."

Comments ( 3 )

"This story is for all the dads out there who love their children and who's children love them. You will live on in memory, even after your passing day. Know that, no matter what, you will never be forgotten. You will never be alone."

:raritystarry: Aww

7358033
:twilightsmile:
My father isn't deceased, but he's very far from me; a continent away, in fact. He's never been that large of a presence in my life, and I still love him as if he were here, raising me himself. I hear him tell me over and over that he loves me and he's sorry he wasn't there, and my heart wrenches. He's a good man who became a father way too soon and had no idea what to do, so he kicked on the 'Fight or Flight' and ran.
He tries, all the time, to make up for it. And I love him dearly. The world needs more good fathers, in my opinion. There's no such thing as too many of them. And mothers? Well, mothers are just inherently awesome, so there's no such thing as too many of them. :rainbowwild:

-Inkheart

I love this story, just for its inspiration. Keep writing, you've got talent.

Login or register to comment