• Published 18th Jun 2012
  • 751 Views, 5 Comments

Faithless - Darkkon13



This is the story of an uncertain Hero in deceptively peaceful times.

  • ...
 5
 751

Episode 6, the forgemaster


"GONE!? What do you mean GONE!?" Black Star's rage was practically malleable. "He was a damned corpse laying in the street! surely he didn't just FLY away?!?" swooshed his hoof into the air before slamming it back into the wood beneath him. The splinters sprayed the cowering minion before him.

The caramel buck peered up from under his glasses which had nearly fallen off his snout in the rage of the great conqueror. "w-w-well I jus-" He was immediately cut off as the remaining windows of the Ponyville main hall shuttered under magic enhanced voice of it's occupant.

"NO EXCUSES! Find that corpse or I'LL HAVE YOU BRANDED!" Black Star's horn shined and then burst into an overglow as he effortlessly flung the buck down the hall and out the door with a wood splintering slam. "ARAGH! completely unacceptable!" Black Star rose from his makeshift throne, made from the podium and several artfully broken benches, and made his way into what was once a closet and more recently a make-up room. Now the multi converted room was setup to be Black Star's personal prison. "Wake up my dear. I have some questions."

The spellbound Princess Celestia wobbled to her hooves, eying the magical wards placed around her which created the barrier that held her in place and sapped her strength. "You'll get nothing out of me Black Star, you can't me with your tricks this time." She glared, with death in her eyes, only to be met by a sly glance and cackle from her captor.

Black Star brought his muzzle to the barrier and caressed the princess's face with one wandering hoof. "Tricks? I don't need petty tricks anymore. you're just going to spill it all out for me... one way or another." The princess spat at the would be king's words. "ugh" He wiped his face before stepping toward the broken vanity mirror. "Now, my first question. Why were you protecting those ponies, and where did they go?"

*****

Hero's face was slapped by the branch of a rather rude tree that appeared to be making lude gestures. "Pleh, why would he choose to live all the way out here?" he questioned as he expelled musty leaves from his mouth. "Who does he even sell his wares to?" Though the question sounded thoughtful his gaze was obviously lost into his admiration of the gently swaying plot in front of him.

Glancing back to make sure her companions had stayed in step, Nightwing carefully chose her words. "Hammerforge is very uh.... selective of the company he keeps. And at one point, The royal family. But that was a long time ago."

"OOHH THE GODDESS! everything is 'a long time ago, of great power, legendablahblahblah' is there anything like... Recent you two have to talk about... like I dunno, The Wonderbolts newest initiate or something?" Spiral tossed her mane about, shouting up from behind Sky. "I mean seriously guys. If you're gunna talk, at least include us. I'm Bored." She pouted, stomping quickly before hastening her canter to keep up.

Nightwing rolled her eyes. "Okay then, what would you suggest we discuss?"

Spiral bounced up and hovered over Sky. "Okay, what's this guy like?! is he nice? does he like candy? I like candy. OH! is he a pegasus? do you think he's 'handsome'!?" Sky blushed as she looked up to her loveably over imaginative and hyper friend, ducking to the side as she watched Spiral live up to her name and hit the ground.

She couldn't help but giggle at Spiral's antics. The ever so graceful Nightwing stepped onto a stone walkway before answering. "Well he's a Unicorn. As for the rest, you can see for yourself." She lifted her head towards an overgrown ruin, a decrepit archway leading into long hallway that had clearly been designed for elegance and to strike we in those who trotted through. The effect had been lost to the overgrowth and collapsed ceiling tiles. "Welcome to The Castle of the Alicorn Sisters." A quick glance to hero told him there as more she wanted to say before they continued but she held her tongue tight.

The four pegasi walked through the once magnificent halls of the old palace, the broken stained glass story-windows letting lecks of colored light dance across Hero's face. He was in struck wonder, the beauty lost to the decay of time was quickly reversed in his mind as he viewed the castle in it's glory days. How wonderful it must have been to walk through this place and call it your home. Hero was so lost in his daydream he barely noticed Nightwing stop before a door mid way between a nearly intact window depicting two alicorns pulling the moon and sun and another almost completely shattered window whose remaining pieces seemed to depict a scene of blissful night and raging fire. He drove into her hindquarters face first before falling onto his haunches in embarrassment.

A multitude of embarrassing, suggestive, glances and giggles from the mares later landed Hero scowling at a stone door with no discernible method of opening it. Hero knew he wouldn't live this incident down any time soon. Nightwing had led them out of the castle into a small patio with raised walls arcing from the castle exit to the large stone door. Without a word, Nightwing traced an image that Hero wasn't paying attention to onto the door with her hoof. With one great clop against the stone door, all three pegasi following the Nightwing Mare back back onto their haunches in astonishment. The Stone door lit up, glorious hues of blue and green splitting the grand door and pulling it away and into the darkness of the space beyond.

"H-how did-?" Hero began before having his muzzle shut with a raised hoof.

"Hammerforge is the greatest smith in equestria. That's how." Nightwing smirked, Taking wy too much pleasure in the cluelessness of her present company. Another teasing glance was given to Spiral Winds. "You know, of great power, Legendablah blah blah." A giggle and a swish of her luscious tail sent her striding down the path through the small outcropping of trees behind the door.

At the end of the path stood a small cobblestone smithy, smoke from a burning forge wafting from a crooked chimney that climbed out from the back. A soft yellow mare peeked out of the door, a burlap sack laden with unseen goods dangling from her mouth. At first sight of the travelers, she bolted out from the door and took flight, her flowing pink mane trailing behind her. The door opened all the way to reveal a rusty orange Buck, with an extremely displeased glare. He brushed his Dirty brown mane back and turned back into his shop, motioning for the others to enter.

---
Spiral stayed outside with a more than frightened Sky, Something about his eyes. The buck, who looked surprisingly young for his supposed renown, was infact Hammerforge and was not in the least bit humble. He had gracefully offered two wooden stools for Hero and Nightwing to sit on while they told him why he should waste his valuable time with whatever ridiculous request they had. "And I'll be damned if you ask this as a favor. The last time I did that for a pony, he never came back. So bring bits or get packing." He lifted a hammer in an emerald telekinetic sheathe and began pounding on an amorphous blob of heated material that he must have recently pulled from the blazing forge next to him.

Hammerforge busily slammed the heated metal as Nightwing explained. "Of course, I brought appropriate compensation for your services." Nightwing lifted a bulging sack of bits from her side in her telekinetic grip.

"Oh! well that’s different, What was it you wanted miss....?" Hammerforge Suddenly perked up, magically lifting his project and dropping it into an overused traugh with a whining hiss.

with a smile the mare answered. "Oh yes, I am First hoof to the princess of the night, High Agent Nightwing Silverstar. And this is Hero Bo-.... This is Hero, my current mission." She danced around Hero's new name like a magic snowpony during winter wrap up. This struck Hero as strange since she had so openly used it during their trip here. She even seemed to enjoy saying it at times, using his name excessively when it even began to sound repetitive. Perhaps the name was important to both these ponies? He was certain of this fact but held his questions as the bartering continued. As it would turn out his lovely companion was not paying for his service so much as information.

Hammerforge lifted his newly crafted piece from the trough as he mulled ov- WOOD? Hero's eyes took in with great surprise that the smith had just lifted freshly cooled wood out of the traugh. That wasn't even possible! Hero blinked heavily believing he had been seeing things. Regardless of his efforts the newly forged wooden helmet remained wooden. "So, you.... The big special forces pegasus of Princess luna doesn't want me to make any new special armor..... you want me to direct you to an older set? One that failed to protect it's previous owner when it really counted might I add? I could easily make a brand new set of higher quality and MUCH better fit for your little soldier over there." Hammerforge looked perplexed, not quite understanding Nightwing's request.

"We want the old set, and it's not for him" Nightwing glanced to hero. "It's for a MUCH older friend."

Hero could have sworn Hammerforge's eye tripled in size as he lept over his anvil, "He's
BACK!!? After a thousand years he'd better do good on that drink!"

Nightwing giggled, patting the Smith's head. "He's not here quite yet. But he should be here soon enough. That why we need his armor." Nightwing offered him the bulging sack of bits once again.

With a quick thoughtful glance Hammerforge took up the money and trotte back behind his forge and pulled out a tome like ledger. "Well I'll tell you what you need to know, But I can't guarantee you'll get your prizes so easily. " He flipped the book to some place in the center, dust flying everywhere. "I sold them, I couldn't bare to see them gather dust." Clearly he didn't mind watching his books gather dust, hero coughed as he tried to speak.

"ha-ckehem- a!,, ehem.. You mean you don't even have them? And if they're not for me why am I here? Black Star is wreaking havoc in ponyville and godesses know where else. We don't have time to sit here and watch this somehow incredibly old pony go through his books." Hero grumbled, folding his hooves and fluttering his wings in one fierce flap. His attempts to sway Nightwing into letting him go fight Blackstar was answered with a light giggle and a hoof pointing to the smith who's heated brown eyes were catapulting daggers into Hero's very soul.

"I..... Am not....... old." Hero shut his mouth tightly as Hammerforge returned to a calm demeanor and went back to his book. "Well now if Black Star is back than all manner of bad things are happening. I'll give you a discount since it's a state of emergency.... one bit back. Right then. The first to go was the helmet, now being held in the canterlot royal treasury. The Chestplate went to a soldier by the name Starshield Shatter horn, he was rather stubborn. The wing clasps were purchased by the royal family for Sky Captain Thunderhoof, with the horseshoes to match for his outstanding service when negotiations with the griffons went bad. Last but not least the Cape went to an upstart collector and historian named Sky Dreams in Neighvarro." He tore out the pages detailing the final sales and handed them to Nightwing along with a single bit. "You may have a hard time getting the pieces off of Thunderhoof and the historian, but the other two shouldn't pose much of a challenge. I hear Shatterhorn died protecting Fillydelphia and you are already working for the princess."

Before Nightwing could work the voice to thank the 'young' smith she was cut off by the yelp of Sky Chaser and the shouting of a mare from outside. "We know you're in there. Come out and surrender in the name of King Black Star!!"

Hero Kicked into action before any of the others could react, rushing outside in a burst of flight and taking a guardian position in front of Sky and Spiral. "How dare you act on that wretch's behalf! what are you thinking!" Hero was standing against three ponies two pegasi and a battle harnessed unicorn. None of them had their cutie marks scorched, they were acting on their own volition! Hero was furious. How could these ponies betray equestria!?

The leader, the unicorn who had been speaking before answered with strength in her voice. "We act on his behalf to cease the torture you've forced on our princess. Some hero you turned out to be, You're the one putting her in more danger." The mare's horn began to glow fiercely. "So surrender and let us take you back. Don't let Celestia suffer anymore, nothing can stop Black Star anyway. Not even the Elements of Harmony were able to stop him!"
"So, that's it then." Hero was completely caught off guard, and dropped his defenses. "I am sorry, I don't blame you for acting to save the princess." He placed a hoof over his chest and bowed. "I will go with you, I am only one pony after all. it's not li-"

"NO!" Nighting pushed her way in front of Her. "do you really think he'll stop his wicked torture? No, he will continue no matter what promises he's made." She then turned on Hero string him down with outstretched wings. "And you! I've waited far too long to have you throw yourself away at the first chance you get you... you. you stubborn pony." She sighed as hero began to protest, but she clearly had heard this before and knew what he'd say. "Forgive me for this." With two swift hoof placements Hero felt a surge of pleasure run through his body followed immediately by nothingness.

"Hi, cand be.... fightintg...." Hero wobbled, fell on his haunches and blacked out. The High agent was clearly very talented.

-----

Now in the safety of his Canterlot shop, the fine brewer Hopscotch let his wagon slam against the ground. "OOOOoohhh my back. You're a heavy bunch." He said demeaning his barrels of merchandise. "Good thing I got you out of there before Black Star burned my poor bar to the ground." a single tear dripped from his eye.

"oh ssshhhut your yapper. I lost more than yer shtupid sssshhhop."Dazer popped the top to the barrel he was hiding in. "d-I lost a friedn! A good one!" he waved a bottle at Hopscotch who rightfully swiped it away from him.

A swift hoof to the noggin set Dazer back into his barrel. "You drank the whole lot didn't you! You drunkard! I'm never letting you taste my beverages again until you work off this merchandise!" Hopscotch scolded. Dazer wasn't listening, he curled up in the barrel, hugging his empty bottles of various alcoholics as he sobbed over Hero's death.

Grapple's multi colored mane was next to pop up, followed but the nervous wreck that was Blue Flame. "Look Dazer. I liked the buck too, a little more than I care to admit. But he's gone! Now we're the only hope equestria has, right Blue?" Grapple looked over to her chemist companion, who still had the lid resting on his head.

"i-I, yeah sure.... we ARE safe here right?"Blue flame asked, ducking back in slightly. Hopscotch reassured Blue flame about the security of his Canterlot wine cellar and ushered the group into their new base of operations. Dazer was dragged and given a pile of hay to sob on.