• Published 15th May 2016
  • 2,338 Views, 72 Comments

Sunset Shimmer and the Holograms - ratedoni



When Sunset Shimmer recorded a pop song due to a dare, she never realized what this would mean and the way people would react, now she and her friends will bring Jem to life in this musical adventure.

  • ...
8
 72
 2,338

Truly Outrageous 04: Two Friends

Truly Outrageous 04

It was a Saturday morning and everything was silent, which for a few seconds made Rarity Belle freak out since she have become used to hectic mornings in which her father didn’t work, her mother cooked them breakfast (with varied results) and her sister was already up and either watching her morning shows and cartoons or singing with the radio.

So you could imagine how weird it felt for her to not only wake up with a pleasant quietness and calm that allowed her to relax for a few extra second, and then a couple seconds of quiet freak out due to not recognizing the room she had been sleeping in. Thankfully she quickly calmed down remembering how tired all of them were yesterday after getting together in Sunset’s apartment block (none of them were quite comfortable calling the building home yet) and decided to use their own apartments.

Mind you, the apartments were clean and spacious but only had the basics like beds with clean linens, some furniture and bathroom with daily necessities like shampoo; sadly the kitchens were completely bare and they would need to go and buy stuff if any of them decided to stay more than a morning.

Rarity knew that if she ever decided to go all the way with her dreams of becoming a designer she needed a space of her own and a store of her own, not just working half-time in a boutique as she did already. With that going through her mind Rarity quickly took her shower and descended the building to the lobby.

Leaving the elevator she found another resident already at the main table and Rarity simply smiled at what she was looking at. Sunset Shimmer, her head using her arms as pillows, her laptop and a multitude of papers were around her, an empty mug sitting precariously at the end of the table and a small girl with purple hair was using Sunset’s shoulder as a pillow too.

Walking on their direction Sunset seemed to wake up and blinked several times while she stretched.

“My dear, don’t tell me you spend the whole night down here working,” the fashionista said taking a seat in front of Sunset while this one put the papers in order.

“Yeah, well, Synergy and I continued to filter through the applications we got yesterday and I just… felt asleep,” she said shrugging while the mentioned Synergy continued to slumber, this time with her head on Sunset’s lap, it looked incredibly adorable in Rarity’s opinion "not to mention that since we put the video online there has been a lot of other things that I had to think about and the mountain of emails we got reminded me of them,” she said before opening her laptop checking the battery on it; once she was sure there was still enough battery for a couple of hours she began the arduous job of checking the mail.

“So, what’s the total number?” Rarity asked now curious about the amount of job they all will have for the next couple of days.

“Check out for yourself,” Sunset said before rotating the laptop so Rarity could see the screen, then the fashionista’s eyes widened up at the sheer number of emails Jem had got.

“700 emails?!”

“Yeah, among them, more applications, fan letters, interview petitions, label contracts, questions of apparently Jem fans. I think there is even an email among them asking if they could make an official Jem fan club,” Sunset said not quite believing what was going on now.

“All of this because of a song?”

“Your guess is as good as mine. I feel like this got out of control before we even started,” Sunset said feeling quite lost with the situation.

“Well, if we fought and defeated power hungry demons, sirens and even the destruction of both universes I’m sure we will be able to get through this.”

“I’m not sure, this gets bigger and bigger and we haven’t even started yet… I don’t even understand why I decided to bring Jem to life,” Sunset said massaging the side of her head as if to battle a headache.

“Then why do it at all?” Rarity said in a calm tone of voice, one that Sunset knew well. In the last year, Sunset and Rarity had spent time together talking and getting to know each other better, after all, being in a group didn’t always let you know everything about someone and they had found out they more similarities between them, like their need to have control of a situation but not to the point of micromanaging their whole day; they also loved to work with their hands, one with fabric and the other with circuits but most importantly, they had someone that they could talk about who won’t make fun of the other or simply agree to everything they said.

“I… I guess because Jem made people happy, it brought them joy, but mostly for myself I guess,” Sunset said not quite sure of herself about that subject.

“Does this have to do with Twilight leaving for MIT?”

No, yes, maybe? Is just that… everyone here already has their path, Applejack taking control of the Sweet Apple Acres brand and her plans of expansion, Pinkie getting into pastries and confectionary and probably one day even opening her own shop that makes parties of all kind,” both friends could imagine the kind of chaos the store would bring to the world.

“Now that would be a quite the place to visit, just not to stay for a long period of time,” they both giggled at the idea “I suppose you also see Fluttershy going fully ahead with her dreams of being a veterinarian.”

“And you probably getting a scholarship to an European fashion school.”

“Well, wouldn’t that be the dream, but what about Rainbow? I mean, neither of you talked about Rainbow being on the Holograms.”

“Do you wanna know something? Rainbow and I spend three hours talking about that at her house two days ago.”

“When were you going to tell us?”

“Probably never? I mean, it was a private talk between us; basically Rainbow didn’t want to play second fiddle to Jem, not that she wouldn’t help mind you, but, you know how Rainbow is,” she said while Rarity had to agree with her friend.

“That girl definitely needs some help with her self-esteem, mantaining all that bravado is not healthy for her."

“Well, I think she has some ideas to make The Rainbooms way more awesome, her words, not mine,” she said before placing a hand on top of Synergy’s head. For some reason, Sunset Shimmer always found the action of moving her fingers through the small child-like avatar of Synergy incredibly calming "but I think it is for the best, Rainbow is amazing and I want to see where she will go with her own ideas."

“What’s with her?” Rarity said having a deep frown on her face; it was obvious how confused about Sunset’s actions she was.

“Oh, well, Synergy's avatar is a hard light hologram like I said back then, Twilight and I hypothesized that the energy readings belonging to the Crystal Heart infused both feelings and a deep level sentience to it. Probably due to the crystal ponies always infusing the Crystal Heart with positive feelings,” Sunset explained while Synergy softly snored; for her part, Rarity was glad that Fluttershy was still asleep, the sight of the hologram would have broken her restraints and would have hugged Synergy to the point of breaking her.

“Well… that was… informative, but I was referring to Synergy being asleep at all, I mean, I thought she was a computer program,” Rarity answered back while Sunset blushed a bit realizing her faux-pas.

“Oh… well… she went into sleeping mode,” both Rarity and Sunset stood looking at each other but little by little they lost control and started to laugh at something that maybe it wasn’t that funny but it was good enough to break any kind of serious mood they had.

“My goodness, I wasn’t expecting that kind of answer.”

“I don’t care, I think I needed that.”

“Anyway, do you need some help? I might not be as fast or talented in this as Synergy but I’m sure I can help out.”

“Is okay, I got things under control for now, we finally decided on the people that will do a live audition and Fluttershy and I finally finished the new song so with some luck everything will go fine, but do you know what I want right now?”

“What?”

“I want breakfast! I need a breakfast biscuit right now, and knowing AJ and Rainbow, those two will be ready to eat the table if we don’t get them something to eat.”

“Too true there, oh, I almost forgot; I thought about this for some time and I finally reached a decision, here,” Rarity said reaching for the pocket of her jeans and extracting a folded page before giving it to Sunset.

“Wait, this is… a formal application to the Holograms? Rarity, what…”

“You aren’t the only one that got called by the whole Jem thing… sure, it was basically my fault that all this started but… I also want to see how far this could get, if you are alright with it of course.”

“Rarity… I would be honored to have you in the Holograms.”