• Published 30th Jul 2016
  • 215 Views, 1 Comments

My Sister - The Story of Optix - Fateful Pony



Optix sets out on a quest with her friends to find a lost sibling.

  • ...
 1
 215

Real Estate

The vehicle grumbled to a stop right in the driveway of a home that seemed to be larger than every other home surrounding it. In fact, the only buildings that were any larger were the occasional skyscrapers piercing the still bright blue sky. Even though the sun still hung high, there was an almost eerie sense of emptiness surrounding the once occupied home-- the feeling was pronounced more than normal in the most unusual sense.

The home itself has been deserted-- lacking maintenance for years. The wooden finish of the home was beginning to rot, and just from the outside one could tell (And smell) that the property was vacant, and likely experiencing a bit more than just rotting floorboards. But, concerning how Optix and her sister, including what one may be able to assume about their family, perhaps this was normal for them?

“Is it?” Derpibra asked. He stepped out of the pickup with his wings flared, giving them a stretch.

“Kind of,” Optix responded as she exited the vehicle. “but even my parents had a bit of respect for their garbage house. It never got this bad before.”

“So, they had clean garbage? What…?”

Optix signed. “If that’s what you wanna call it.”

“So, this is the establishment?” Asked Gaffold. “Looks charming.”

“It isn’t the prettiest, but it’s one helluva house from the inside.” The military mare walked slowly up to the door, being quite observative of the exterior of the building. The home brought with its surprisingly bearable stench a strong intertwined scent of nostalgia to her as well. “Ah shit, it’s been two years, probably more since I been here. Feels good to be back home.” Once the door was before her, she crouched down and searched through the welcome mat. She found nothing. “There it is.”

“Where what is?” Asked Derpibra. “There’s nothing there.”

“Or so you think.” She pushed down on a concrete rectangle that was part of the pattern for the walkway up to the door, making it invisible. The front door slid open, revealing a mechanical door with rusted gears on its face. The cogs struggled to move, merely locking back into place with each attempted movement, but after some seconds they began to spin, and the metal safe-door grinded open.

“Talk about home security.” Twilight peered into the mechanical workings of the block of metal serving as a door. “I never seen such an… extreme safety measure before, if it wasn’t for a bank.”

“Gotta be prepared for anything Twi.” She motioned for everypony to follow inside. The doors closed behind them, and the nostalgic musk for Optix and Sniper Bullet and the not-so-nostalgic plain stench became ever stronger for everyone inside. “You know, this place actually used to be a townhouse, but my parents became known for building and fixing things, so after a while, I’d say, one year, that they completely purchased this place.”

“You mean, they didn’t build it themselves?” Gaffold cackled. “Doesn’t seem like your parents to purchase property. I wagered you all were the do-it-yourself types.”

“They are, but me and Bullet took it to heart. Sometimes we buy parts to things to build it ourselves, but most of the time we just find the parts instead.”

“Interesting. By the way, out of interest… what was the first thing you’ve ever built?”

“I’d be happy to show you. I built this one before Bullet was even born.” Optix trotted up to a nearby door that appeared to lead to a bedroom. She opened the door and took in her old room smell. Compared to the rest of the home, this room seemed to be the most well-kept of the spaces introduced so far. The walls were painted a faded gray color with a single window parallel to the door. There was a single dresser, a single bed with gold-plaid covers flanked by a lamp. There was also one closet door, presumably where she may have hidden her gadgets.

“I didn’t have the chance to grab all my stuff from here before I was practically kicked out of Trottingham. Bullet, did you keep all my junk here?”

“Yeah. I knew you cared about all your things, so I lived here on my own just so I can watch over everything.”

“Damn, you’re the best sister a mare could have. But what’s with the garage across town though? Isn’t it a bit far?”

“Yeah, but it never hurts to have multiple bases in one area, does it?”

Optix smiled brightly. “And you took my tactical training seriously too? Well I be. I never thought you would actually hold down multiple bases at once.”

“It isn’t that hard when no one can track you. You can move anywhere you want if that’s the case.”

Optix swung the creaky closet door open to be gifted the sight of her closest possessions. It almost brought a tear to her eye. “I forgot I even had half of these things.” She pulled out a hatchet that had batteries and wires, duct tape and such strapped to it. “When the hell did I ever make this thing? Is it some kind of electric axe?” She flipped the switch on the end of the haft and the modified weapon sparked to life. “You know, now it’s starting to come back to me… this is my Tactical Combat Axe.”

“What’s tactical about having an axe that shocks the mess out of you?” Derpibra asked.

“It neutralizes the target, and doesn’t leave much of a mess behind.”

He gulped.

She replaced the axe in her saddlebag. “Not what I was looking for though. It was… this!” She retrieved a pistol that seemed very primitive in design, bearing about the same modifications as the axe. “It’s a laser pistol. Well, sort of. A few mods to the receiver using battery packs, wires, and some magnets and oh boy does this thing pack a punch. It super charges the bullets instead of making actual lasers, more or less.”

“That was the first weapon you made?” Gaffold inquired.

“Yeah, but it’s really old. Prolly won’t work too well without some heavy maintenance.”

“Sis?” Sniper called. “We aren’t here to show off your fancy gadgets. What about the stuff Mom and Dad left behind?”

“Oh, right. What the?”

“Huh?”

“Look at this thing!” She pulled out a flashlight. “I’m sorry, but this is too good to pass up.”

“What are you talking about?”

“It’s a lightsaber!” With a flip of the switch, a green beam erected from the flashlight, and made a familiar whirring noise as she swung it around.

“How did you make that?” Gaffold asked.

“Easy. Just need a flashlight and a hoof-ful of diamonds.”

“How would that even work?”

“Honestly, I forgot how I made this thing function. Crazy shit though right?”

“Optix…” Sniper growled.

“Okay, okay. Just trying to lighten up the bad mood you got there. Alright, ‘nuff foaling around. To the basement!”

The group exited the bedroom, Optix shutting the door behind them. They ventured down the hallway, observing the walls as they spotted holes and tears in the faded tan wallpaper.

A roach was visible crawling up the wall next to a window at the end of the path. Derpibra shrieked.

“Ah! Ugh! Kill it!”

“No…” Fluttershy spoke timidly. “Leave it alone.”

“Don’t you see how big that thing is!?”

“Quite the ugly creature that thing is.” Gaffold said.

The roach disappeared within a hole in the ceiling.

Derpibra dashed and hid behind Fluttershy. He fearfully poked his head above her back with wide eyes. “Flutters, if you see more of those big things, please do that thing where you talk to them and tell them to go away…?”

Applejack cackled. “Ah, quit ya worrying’ Derpi. It won’t harm ya.”

“Hey, I know I’m kinda strong, but I can’t handle stuff like that. They have too many legs for my taste. No. Thank. You.”

“Dragons, but not roaches? Am I the only one that thinks that’s a ‘lil weird?”

“Hey, dragons are cool okay? They actually look nice, and friendly sorta.”

“Can we move on?” Sniper said.

“Yes. Let us not stray for too long.” Gaffold advised.

Just outside the window appeared a pigeon with orange tail feathers and a rough hair style. It roosted on the windowsill and appeared to be staring right at Derpibra.

“Hey, it’s Pidgy!” He opened window and the animal landed on his back. Closing the window, he then gave the bird a light pat. “When did you get here?”

She stared at him blankly.

“No answer? Okay. Uhm, let’s move on, shall we?”

Taking a right, the group stopped at a cracked wooden door. Optix twisted the knob and the gateway creaked open, seemingly loose on its hinges, revealing an egress cloaked in darkness. What could be made out was that there was a staircase leading down, but more than half of it disappeared under the dark.

Twilight casted Illumination, pushing back the dark. At the bottom of the flight of steps was yet another door, this one being made of metal, and chained.

They trotted down the narrow staircase in single file, with Optix being the first to reach the entryway.

“That’s quite the edgy door.” Derpibra said.

“You gotta make sure everything is safe. And besides, our parents wouldn’t leave anything behind for us without locking it up tight.” She placed her hoof onto a screen pad, made to recognize and register hoofprints. The aged gateway responded with a swift snap of a tumbler, and it opened with minimal difficulty. This door revealed a dark room that had a faint smell of mold, and brought with it an unnatural chill.

“Why must every part of this townhouse be so dank?” Gaffold questioned. “I’ve seen a number of things in my time, but this seems… odd.”

“Chillax Goldie.” Optix said. “Our basement was always like this from what I can remember. Just watch your step, dunno what could be down here. Rats, roaches…”

Derpibra hid behind Applejack.

The farmer pony chuckled. “Don’t get so jumpy Derpi. Alright, let’s see what down here.”