• Published 17th May 2016
  • 1,136 Views, 100 Comments

The Ghost Of Me - Bluecatcinema



The untold story of Black Knight Paladin.

  • ...
4
 100
 1,136

Born To Rise

Caboose leaned forward in his recliner.

"So you went behind Ballista's back, and kept on seeing your loved ones?" He asked Black. "Sneaky, sneaky."

"I'm not exactly a fan of insubordination, but I can understand the need to see your brother and Belle." Fletcher declared. "If I were somehow separated from Dove, I'd probably do the same thing..."

"Of course, not every mission brought within easy travel distance of either Prairieville or Dodge Junction." Black admitted. "But whenever a mission brought me close enough, I took a little detour."

"It was a tremendously risky thing to do, though." Elite added. "I might have been willing to overlook it had I known, but Ballista was another story."

"Even with me pretending to go along with his orders, the 'General' could tell I'd lost respect for him." Black growled. "And he was more than willing to return the favor..."

Many years ago...

Months after his talk with Ballista, Black had just returned from his latest mission, which involved grabbing important documents from a businesspony believed to be in league with the Forefathers. As he went to the main room for debriefing, he crossed paths with Ballista.

"Ah, there you are." Ballista said coldly. "Right on time. Glad to see our little talk did some good."

"Don't flatter yourself." Black growled. "I only went along with your 'suggestion' to get you to shut up."

"Watch your mouth, pal." Ballista snarled. "You may not be in the RDL any more and I might not be 'General Turret', but you still have to show me some respect."

"Don't hold your breath." Black snorted.

"I like to think I can take a stallion at his word." Ballista revealed. "But I'm still having you tailed... just in case."

"Your faith in me is overwhelming." Black sneered. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some documents to bring in."

"By all means." Ballista stepped aside.

Black walked away, a venomous scowl on his face.

'Bad enough the guy's trying to keep me from White and Belle.' He thought. 'Does he have to get on my back all the time, too? And to think, I actually used to like him...'

Meanwhile, in an undisclosed location, in the deepest depths of Infinity, shrouded in darkness, Pike stood under a lone hanging light, standing before what seemed to be nothingness.

However, there was heavy breathing all around, as a bunch of menacing looking stallions surrounded him, covered in the blanket of darkness. Some of them were holding magic mirrors and communication crystals, with ponies who couldn't make it but were intent on listening in on the other side.

They all awaited Pike's words with bated breath.

"Alright, my fellow Black Sheep." Pike announced. "You are probably wondering why I have gathered you all here tonight. Well, it's simple really. We have ourselves a problem... not only for us, but for all of the Forefathers: a rather meddlesome stallion by the name of Black Knight Paladin. This stallion came out of nowhere and dismantled many operations in Saddle Arabia, including Project: Infestation, and after months of being..."

Pike held up his hooves and did air quotes.

"...'Dead', Black is now back here in Equestria, and he is cleaning house." Pike frowned. "Normally, I would have taken care of him myself, but Black has proven to be far more formidable and cunning than I imagine." He gave a small smirk. "A worthy opponent if I ever saw one..." But the smile faded. "...But that doesn't change the fact that he's getting to be a thorn in the side of my... associates. I have spoken with them, and they agreed to allow me to issue a bounty: whosoever among you manages to actually nail this son of a draft horse will be rewarded greatly, and will see a hefty promotion far up the ranks of the Forefathers. With that in mind, any of you think you're up for it?"

The shadowed stallions cheered in the positive.

"Fantastic." Pike smirked, clapping his hooves. "So off you go, and remember: First come, first served. Also..." He did a salute. "It rubs the lotion on its skin..."

"...Or else it gets the hose again!" The stallions saluted back, as they slunk back deeper into the shadows.

Suddenly, another emerged from the shadows: Scalphunter.

"Well, what have we here?" Scalphunter sneered. "Tryin' to get us little lambs to do what you can't?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but I am on something of a deadline." Pike growled. "The Forefathers won't tolerate another failure. Black must be taken down, and fast."

"You disappoint me, Pike." Scalphunter sighed. "Being a bounty hunter's supposed to be about the gig, not the bosses. Whatever they're paying you should be a distant second to the sheer enjoyment of finishing off your target."

"The day I take advice from a nutjob like you is the day I get myself measured for a straitjacket." Pike sneered.

"Oh, you wound me." Scalphunter sniggered. "Fine, I know when I'm not wanted. Good luck waiting for those losers to deliver."

Scalphunter walked away, laughing his manic laugh.

"Lunatic..." Pike muttered.

A couple of weeks later, Black was attending to an assignment at the Manehattan docks, bringing down some smugglers who were working for the Forefathers. Seeing White and Belle again had given him back his zeal, and he was happily pounding his foes.

"Are you getting as big a kick out of this as I am?" He smirked, kicking one thug into the water.

"You stinkin'-!" Another thug charged at Black.

"Nice try." Black grabbed and flipped him. "But no dice."

Once all the thugs were down and out, Black piled them up by their smuggled wares, then set off a flare Armory had provided, which would alert the police, who would find the thugs surrounded by their contraband.

'Sorry, Forefathers.' Black thought, as he walked away. 'There's been an unexpected delay with your delivery...'

As Black made his way out of the city, he realised he was relatively close to Priarieville, and decided to check in on Belle and Shade.

'Just one thing first...' He mused. He glanced upwards ever so slightly, spotting a Pegasus flying above, clearly following him. 'Shaking Ballista's flunky.'

During his time in Prairieville, Black had at one point asked Belle for a map of the surrounding area, in case he needed to make a quick escape. Recalling the map's features, Black headed for a nearby cavern, which led into a series of tunnels, one of which came out close to Prairieville.

'Even if that clown comes down to follow me, he won't know where to go.' Black smirked, recalling the tunnel directions shown on the map. 'So long, sucker.'

Once he made his way through the tunnel, Black saw the town nearby.

'Finally, a little privacy...' He smiled.

Black quietly made his way through the streets of Prairieville. As he neared Belle's home, he saw Belle sitting outside it, Shade playing with a rattle nearby, and her friend Clementine with her.

"Ooh, he's getting so big." Clementine smiled. "He's going to be a tall one, mark me words."

"It doesn't matter to me if he'll turn out tall or short." Belle declared. "I'll love him either way."

Just then, Shade started flapping his little wings.

"Look out." Clementine grinned. "I think Shade's getting ready for take-off!"

"Oh, my..." Belle gasped.

Shade slowly started to raise himself off the ground.

"That's it..." Belle smiled. "Up you go..."

Shade rose up higher, then lost control, dropping downwards. Fortunately, Belle caught him.

"Got you!" She grinned. "You went up so high, Shade. Who's mommy's clever little boy? You are!"

Belle blew a raspberry on Shade's tummy.

"Eeee!" Shade giggled with delight.

'You're such a great mother, Belle.' Black smiled. 'I probably wouldn't have been too good of a father. Especially considering the example I'd have to follow...' He shuddered, memories of his own father running through his head.

"Well, isn't he the little prodigy." Clementine smirked. "Was his father a good flyer?"

"Actually, he wasn't a Pegasus at all." Belle revealed.

"What?" Clementine frowned. "But how-?"

"He told me he came from a family of Pegasi, but because of some distant ancestry, he turned out an Earth Pony." Belle declared. "Guess those Pegasus genes popped back up when Shade was conceived..."

"Hmm, I suppose that makes sense." Clementine shrugged. "Here's hoping he doesn't fly away the first chance he gets..."

"Shade would never do that." Belle cooed. "Wouldn't you, my darling boy?"

"Mah!" Shade gurgled.

"You see?" Belle grinned. "My little guy's going nowhere!"

'Well, that's one guy you can count on...' Black frowned, his guilt returning. 'Think I've seen enough for now...'

Once Black returned to the headquarters, he found himself faced by an annoyed Ballista.

"My scout just told me that you gave him the slip earlier." Ballista seethed. "Now why would ya do that, I wonder?"

"Gee, maybe because I don't like being followed everywhere?" Black growled. "Or because I don't enjoy having one of your lackies watching my every move?"

"Maybe you snuck off to see your brother... or that mare." Ballista scowled.

"Hey, I gave you my word I wouldn't, didn't I?" Black asked. "You said yourself, that oughta be good enough."

"Usually, yes." Ballista nodded. "But there are some... extreme cases."

"It'll get more extreme if you don't get off my back." Black snarled.

"There's that bleedin' big mouth again." Ballista growled. "You should watch that. It'll get ya in trouble one of these days..."

"Whatever." Black spat.

After reporting to Elite, Black made his way to his quarters, lying down on his bed.

"Lousy Ballista." He scowled. "Getting all up in my business..." He grabbed the tape player. "Maybe some tunes'll relax me..."

Black put on the headphones, and closed his eyes, letting the music take him.

We were born to rise
We were born to rise

So what'd you know about sacrifice
When the lights go out
The price you pay
When you're digging down

Skin of your teeth
And pain in your back
What'd you know about hope
What'd you know about that

Write it off as criminal
A place to cast a stone
On and on we carry on
When one is not enough

We were the ones who were born to rise
We are the ones with the fire inside

I go to war with the brothers I trust
And there ain't no stopping us
There ain't no stopping us

We are the ones
Who will bring the rain
We are the ones
Who will break the chain

I go to war with the brothers I trust
And there ain't no stopping us
There ain't no stopping us

'Yeah, you won't be stopping me, Ballista.' Black thought. 'Just try it. See what happens...'

A couple of weeks later, Black was summoned to the briefing room for a new mission.

"Your target is a stallion by the name of Talbolt." Elite declared. "An artefacts dealer based in Trottingham. He has had dealings with organised crime, and the Forefathers."

"Sounds like a real Prince." Black snorted. "So, what's the gag?"

"You and Shadow are going to pose as black market artefact salesponies." Elite instructed. "You are to meet with Talbolt and broker a deal to sell him a counterfeit copy of a much sought-after book: The Way of the Crystal Sun. Once the deal has been made, you will start a fight with Talbolt's underlings, and 'lose'. After that, Ballista will lead you right to Talbolt's own hidden library of books, where the real copy resides."

"Real?" Black frowned. "Why's he looking for it when he already has it?"

"Because he doesn't know he already has it." Elite grinned. "It's complicated, but essentially, he inherited the library from its former owner, an old boss of his, and has no idea the book is there... meaning he won't even know it's missing."

"And how do we arrange this meeting?" Black asked.

"That's already been taken care of." Elite smiled. "Ballista has recently working undercover as one of Talbolt's bodyguards. He's already convinced his boss to go."

"And he'll be there too, right?" Black asked.

"Of course." Elite nodded. "You'll have to pretend like you don't know him."

"If only..." Black muttered under his breath.

"Pardon?" Elite asked.

"It's... only... too easy." Black grinned. "Let's get to it!"

"Now that's what I like to hear." Elite smiled. "Shadow is already waiting in Trottingham with the fake book. The meeting will be going down this evening, at the Saddlesore Inn, owned by Talbolt himself. You should be able to get there with time to spare."

"Sounds good." Black nodded. "After all, ya gotta account for any... unforeseen delays."

"Yes, I suppose so." Elite nodded. "Good luck."

"Thanks, boss." Black smiled.

Black donned a business suit, sunglasses, and false beard, and made his way to Trottingham. As he made his way there, he decided to take a quick detour towards Dodge Junction, intending to take a peek at White and Silver, having been quite glad at how his brother's relationship had been growing.

'Still can't believe you've got yourself a marefriend, bro.' Black mused. 'You never were a ladies' stallion...'

As he neared Big Red's homestead, he noticed something unusual; a large gathering of the residents of Dodge Junction, sat in chairs before a silk-lined archway.

'Hello, what's this?' Black frowned. 'If I didn't know better, I'd think somepony were getting married...'

Black pulled out his binoculars to get a better look. As he peered at the arch, he saw White standing the middle, wearing a tuxedo, Big Red at his side.

'White?' He thought. 'Wait, is he...?'

As a violin version of the wedding march played, Silver, resplendent in a fabulous white gown, marched down the aisle.

'They are.' Black gaped. 'Wow. I knew White liked her, but I didn't think he liked her this much...'

As Silver reached White, Black put a the listening device Armory had made for him, intent on hearing the vows. Sheriff Lone Starr, who had agreed to officiate the ceremony, began to speak.

"Fillies and gentlecolts, we are gathered here today to join these two ponies in holy matrimony." He declared. "Now, I believe you've written your own vows."

"Silver, you are easily the most amazing mare I've ever met." White admitted. "I honestly don't know what I'd do without you. You complete me. Becoming my wife is the greatest gift you could ever give me."

"Who knew you could be so corny, bro?" Black half-joked.

"White, when we first meet, I was in a rut, no money, no hope, nothing." Silver smiled. "You changed all that. You gave me a new home, a new purpose, and a new love. I can't ever thank you enough for that. I'll be proud to call you my husband."

"Yeah, that sounds like White, alright." Black sighed. "Always helping ponies..."

"The rings, please." Lone asked.

Big Red handed White the hoof ring. White slipped it on Silver, while she slipped hers on him.

"By the power vested in me by this fine town, I now pronounce you stallion and wife." Lone smiled. "You may kiss the bride."

White and Silver embraced in a deep, loving kiss.

"Congratulations, White." Black smiled. "And congrats to my new sister-in-law. I hope you'll both be very happy together. And I swear, I'll keep all of Equestria safe for you. Consider that my wedding gift." He walked away. "Sorry I can't stay for the reception. I have a job to do."

Black arrived in Trottingham behind schedule, despite his best efforts. As he reached the outside of the bar, Shadow glared at him disapprovingly.

"What kept you?" Shadow frowned. "The meeting's about to start!"

"Sorry, pal." Black apologised. "Took a wrong turn getting here. My bad."

"Well, let's not waste time talking about it." Shadow held up the fake book. "Let's get to work."

"Yeah, let's." Black nodded, as he glanced at the book, "So... you think Talbolt's going to believe that book's the real deal?"

"Definitely." Shadow nodded. "Micro painstakingly researched the book's general appearance, and how age would have affected it over time, while Armory put his all into replicating the look and penstallionship. It took them almost a week, and it should look convincing enough for us to pull off this deal."

"Guess there's only one way to find out." Black frowned. "Here goes nothing..."

Black and Shadow entered the bar. After a few words with the bartender, they were led upstairs, to a second room.

Ballista, playing his role as Talbolt's bodyguard, was there to greet them.

"Hooves up." He ordered.

Black and Shadow obeyed, as Ballista frisked first Shadow, then Black.

"Enjoying yourself, pal?" Black smirked.

"Late again, I see? Not very professional." Ballista growled. He turned to his boss. "They're both clean."

"My apologies." Talbolt, a teal-colored Earth Pony with a black mane and a five o'clock shadow, business suit, and brown eyes, and a Cutie Mark showing a magician's hat with colored ribbons and playing cards emerging from it approached. "You can't be too careful."

"I'm guessing you're Talbolt?" Black asked.

"Mr. Sullivan, and Mr. Drake." Talbolt declared, unknowingly using the fake names Black and Shadow had been given."

"That's right." Black nodded.

"Do you have it?" Talbolt asked.

"Let's see the money first." Shadow demanded.

"Cutter." Talbolt declared.

Ballista, in his role as "Cutter" stepped forward, carrying a briefcase, which he placed on the pool table. Talbolt opened the case, revealing it to be full of Bits. He turned it to face Black and Shadow.

"It's all there." He declared. "Now let's see it."

Black brought out the fake book.

"I'll need to authenticate it." Talbolt mused.

"Of course." Black handed him the book.

Talbolt examined the book. At the same time, Black examined the Bits.

"Paper stock seems sufficiently ancient." He admitted. "The wear-and-tear is in keeping with a book of such advanced age, too... Well, it appears to be genuine."

"Of course it's genuine." Shadow said indignantly.

"If I may ask, how did you two come into this?" Talbolt asked.

"Does it matter?" Shadow asked.

"...I suppose not. My client will be very pleased." Talbolt chuckled.

"Hold on a minute." Black frowned. "Sully, these are fake."

Black threw Shadow one of the coins, and Shadow examined it.

"I assure you, Mr. Drake-" Talbolt started.

"Whoa, whoa, you are right." Shadow nodded. "This is as phony as a seven-Bit piece." He turned to Talbolt. "What the buck are you trying to pull here?"

"Perhaps I should be asking you." Talbolt sneered.

"This is Hydra dung." Black closed the suitcase and grabbed the book. "Deal's off, pal."

"And you?" Shadow glared at Talbolt. "You can tell your 'client' you blew it. C'mon Nate, let's get the buck out of here."

"You're not really in a position to negotiate." Talbolt growled. "Now give me the book, take the case, and walk out of here like gentlestallions... while you still can."

Black made to leave, but Ballista blocked him.

"Do as the stallion says, son." Ballista urged.

"You're a thief." Black spat at Talbolt.

"Well, now." Talbolt smirked. "That's ironic."

Black and Shadow shared a look... then they each grabbed a pool cue and struck Talbolt's flunkies with them.

"Get them!" Talbolt yelled.

Talbolt's other minions charged Black and Shadow. Despite his leanings toward stealth, Shadow was a capable fighting, pounding the thugs as well as Black.

"Here, have a drink!" Shadow smashed a bottle on one thug's head.

One of the thugs grabbed Black from behind. As another charged, Black pulled himself up and kicked him down. He then rammed the back of his head into the other thugs face, freeing himself. He finished up with another punch, knocking him out. One thug charged Shadow, but he flipped him onto a table, smashing it.

"Nice one." Black grinned.

"Come on, let's get outta here." Shadow urged.

"Not so fast." Ballista stood in front of them.

"Yes, kill them!" Talbolt yelled.

Shadow leapt on Ballista's back.

"I got him!" He yelled. "Go on, hit him."

Black grabbed a stool.

"Bad idea, pal." Ballista sneered. He threw Shadow off, dodged Black's swing, then batted the stool away.

"Fine." Black sneered. "Hoof-to-hoof. Let's go."

"Oh, yeah..." Ballista sneered.

Black and Ballista engaged in a brutal exchange of blows. For Black, it was a chance to finally take out his frustrations on his former commanding officer. Each blow a form of a payback for his meddling and insults. Ballista, of course, felt the same way. The pair exchanged thunderous blow, leaving heavy bruises and welts.

"Hah!" Black punched him hard. "Had enough?"

"Have you?" Ballista sneered.

Ballista suddenly grabbed Black's head and slammed it onto the wall shelves. He then slid Black across it, smashing several bottles and glasses, then throwing Black through the window.

"Dammit!" Black yelped, as he dropped to the lower bar, smashing a table.

The patrons of the other bars circled him menacingly.

"We don't like troublemakers around here." One growled. "Get him!"

"You spilled my drink!" Another growled, charging Black.

"Here." Black grabbed and kneed him. "This one's on me!"

As Black continued fighting, Shadow rushed down and helped him.

"This a private party, or can I join in?" Shadow asked.

"Be my guest." Black declared.

Together, they pummelled the bar patrons.

"This got out of hoof in a hurry." Black noted, knocking one down.

"Let's go." Shadow urged, tripping another up. "We can get out the back."

As they headed into the kitchen, they ran into more thugs.

"Stop 'em!" One yelled.

Black and Shadows fought their way through the thugs, though less effectively; The conflict was tiring them out.

"Is this the best you've got?" One of the larger thugs asked, as he slammed Black against the counter.

"How's that for ya?" Black struck him with a nearby frying pan.

Shadow smashed another thug on the head with a metal tray.

"Ready to go, Black?" He asked, breathing heavily.

"I was ready ten minutes ago." Black panted.

As they raced into the alley outside, they were confronted by Ballista and more thugs.

"Oops." Ballista smirked.

"Ah... dammit." Shadow groaned.

Ballista punched Black, then slammed him into a wall. Meanwhile, Shadow tried to fight one of the thugs, but his blow was blocked, and he was punched in the stomach.

"Come here, come here." Ballista grabbed Black, proceeding to headbutt him. "Typical bloody grifter... all talk."

As Shadow fell to the ground, Ballista punched Black down too. Both Black and Shadow were sprawled on bags of garbage, helpless.

"I'll finish this." Ballista told the others, drawing a crossbow.

"Oh, buck..." Black gulped.

Ballista fired at Black, blood-red stains growing in his suit, as the stallion fell limp.

"Drake!" Shadow gaped, as he turned to Ballista, "Now, let's be rational-"

Ballista shot Shadow... but instead of simply dying...

"Ahhhhhhhhh!" Shadow screamed incessantly, one of his hoof going to the bolt wound, squeezing it as blood spurt out.

"What the..." Ballista grimaced as he then shot him again.

"Gahhhhhhhh!" Shadow yelped again in a prolonged manner, rolling back and forth.

'Okay, what the hell?' Ballista deeply frowned as he then shot him again.

"Uggggghhhhhh!" Shadow continued screaming in pain, rolling over, smearing blood everywhere.

'Lauren Faust, Shadow!' Ballista shook his head in disbelief, as he then fired once more.

"Oooooohhhhhh!" Shadow yelled as he rolled back over. "Oh! Ohhh!" He was trying to get back up, but the 'pain' was too much.

"Oh, enough of this bull-crap!" Ballista snarled, as he shot him one more time.

"Ahhhhhhh!" Shadow simply writhed onto his back, his head next to Black, as the screaming stop... "Ah." The Pegasus's tongue darted out.

"Finally." Ballista grunted, as he turned to the other thugs. "Tell the boss they're dealt with. I'll dispose of the corpses."

The rest of the thugs went inside.

"And... they're gone." Ballista declared, turning to Black and Shadow's bodies. "Alright, lads?"

Both Black and Shadow opened their eyes. Their "death" had been an elaborate illusion, involving rubber crossbow bolts and fake blood packs.

"Oh, Faust..." Shadow groaned. "Did you have to hit us that hard?"

"Somepony's got no sense of drama... and lousy acting skills." Ballista smirked, helping Shadow up. "Seriously. You were taking so long to die, that I was about ready to use real bolts."

"Oh, hardy-har." Shadow scoffed, "We'd better get moving. All that racket's going to bring the cops."

"You could have pulled a few of those punches, you know." Black glared at Ballista.

"Please, I barely touched ya!" Ballista sneered.

"You headbutted me!" Black spat.

"Alright, so I got swept up in the moment." Ballista shrugged. "But we had to make it realistic! ...And it's not like you were playing around either."

"Can I help it if your face is so hittable?" Black sneered.

"I'm surprised to managed to get past the others after I threw you." Ballista smirked.

"Please." Black snorted. "I've taken on worse."

"Those thugs were a cut above the usual, though." Shadow mused.

"That's because they were some of my troops." Ballista smirked. "They were working undercover too. Nice skills, eh?"

"I should have recognised that sloppy fighting style..." Black snorted.

"Let's put a pin in that for now." Shadow declared. "While Talbolt's busy bringing that book to his 'client', we can go and snatch the real one."

"And I know just where to go." Ballista smirked. "Follow me..."

Ballista led them to a dead end on the outskirts of the city.

"I hate to break it to ya, but there's nothing here." Black snarked.

"Or is is there?" Ballista sneered back. He depressed one of the bricks in the wall in front of them, then walked several feet over and did the same to another. After that, the whole wall opened, revealing a secret tunnel. "Ta-daaa!"

"Big whoop." Black snorted.

"Let's go." Shadow declared.

They entered the tunnel, while led to a long, stretching cavern.

"These caves have been under Trottingham for years." Ballista declared. "They built the town right on top of them."

"My, what a rich history this town has." Shadow mused.

"Yeah, fascinating..." Black rolled his eyes.

They continued the tunnels for a time, before coming across some sort of chapel in a wide, open cave.

"It's just through here." Ballista declared, as they approached.

They quickly moved to the side as two flunkies walked toward the door.

"Take 'em out quick!" Ballista hissed.

The two flunkies walked past the doorway... and were jumped and knocked out by Black and Shadow.

"There are a few more inside." Ballista declared. "So watch your step."

"Yeah, yeah..." Black snorted.

As they entered the building, they passed through an empty room with broken benches, and through another door, to a far more opulent complex with various books and artefacts lining the walls.

"They've got quite the operation going on here." Shadow mused.

"Yeah." Black nodded. "Now, keep an eye out for that book."

"It should be way in the back." Ballista mused. "The old bat Talbolt inherited this from liked to keep the best stuff as deep in as possible."

The trio moved deeper and deeper into the library, taking out any guards they could find. They reached a dark, dusty room, with several chests inside.

"Guess this is as deep as we can go." Shadow mused. "Time to get checking."

"So much for my nice new suit." Black sighed. "So much dust... I don't envy who has to clean this..."

For several moments, they served through the chests, finding several ancient tomes.

"I think I've found it." Ballista smiled, pulling an old book out of the rear chest. He blew some dust off the cover revealing the words The Way of the Crystal Sun. "Yep, this is the tricky little blighter we've been lookin' for!"

"Well done, Ballista!" Shadow smiled.

"Yeah, nice job..." Black scowled.

"Aw, it was nuffink." Ballista smirked. "Now, let's get out of here, fast."

The trio made their way out as quickly as they could. Once they returned to headquarters, they presented the book to a very happy Micro Manager.

"Marvelous!" Micro smiled. "This shall make for some excellent reading!"

"Good job, guys." Elite smiled.

"Um... Elite?" Shadow asked. "A quick word?"

Shadow whispered into Elite's ear. Elite then rounded on Black and Ballista.

"Is what Shadow saying true?" Elite frowned. "Did you really fight each other that hard?"

"Well..." Black cringed, knowing their injuries were plain to see.

"Maybe?" Ballista frowned.

"You were only supposed to be pretending to fight!" Elite groaned. "You took the act way too far!"

"Sorry, boss." Black sighed. "Won't happen again, I promise."

"Yeah, me too." Ballista nodded, though he took a moment to glare at Black.

"You still did a good job." Elite smirked. "What I wouldn't give to see the look on Talbolt's face when he realises he has a fake."

Meanwhile Talbolt confidently showed off the false book to Pike and the his fellow Black Sheep.

"Here it is." He smirked. "The Way of the Crystal Sun."

"Very impressive." Pike nodded. "If it's real."

"Of course it's real." Talbolt nodded. "I'll even read some of it." He opened the book and started reading. "'You really smell like dog buns'?"

The other Black Sheep sniggered.

"...Care to repeat that?" Pike frowned.

"What...?" Talbolt murmured, "'Loose lips sink ships'? 'El Barto'?'" He stood up. "'Talbot smells'?! What the BUCK?! This is a forgery!"

"Really?" Pike sneered. "You are good."

"I don't understand... I authenticated it and everything!" Talbolt stammered, "I don't make mistakes like this!"

"Well, obviously, you just did." Pike shook his head.

"Motherbucker! Those fools tricked me!" Talbolt roared.

"And who are 'those fools' exactly?" Pike asked.

"Well, one of them was a big, red-coated Earth Pony with an eyepatch." Talbolt mused. "And the other was a green Pegasus."

"And that didn't seem familiar to you?" Pike frowned.

"Why would they-oh." Talbolt realised. "Oh, buck. That was Black, wasn't it?"

"Yes." Pike nodded. "They played you like a fool."

"But they're dead!" Talbolt declared. "My best guy saw to it."

"Funny, I heard from one of the others that a stallion matching Black's description left Trottingham a little while after the deal went down." Pike growled. "You had Black, and you let him slip away. Worse, you let him con you. Anything to say for yourself?"

"...Buck." Talbolt cringed.

The present...

Caboose was laughing uproariously.

"Oh, that was too good!" He chuckled.

"Yeah, we really got 'im good." Black smirked.

"An impressive scam, I must admit." Fletcher declared.

"Why, thank you." Elite smiled. "That was a good day for us, alright."

"But that book caused a lot of trouble afterward." Black frowned.

"How do you mean?" Caboose asked.

"Where do you think I found out about the Crystal Sun?" Black asked. "But that's another story. A lot more happened inbetween. Just wait until you hear what went down in Las Pegasus..."

Author's Note:

"Born to Rise" belongs to Redlight King.