• Published 17th May 2016
  • 1,136 Views, 100 Comments

The Ghost Of Me - Bluecatcinema



The untold story of Black Knight Paladin.

  • ...
4
 100
 1,136

Heathens

"I hate to be pushy, but how long exactly do we have to wait before we get to the big change-up?" Caboose asked. "You know, the part where you go full-on bad guy? Not that I'm getting impatient, but it seems to be taking quite a while. I mean, this is the twenty-first chapter for crying out loud!"

"Caboose..." Fletcher frowned.

"Oh, don't worry." Black sighed. "We're finally at the tipping point... the point that would lead me to become a feared stallion who was a threat to all of Equestria."

"I'm almost afraid to hear this." Fletcher mused. "I can't imagine what darkness is going to follow..."

"But hear it you must." Black declared. "Besides, I think I've kept this in for way too long. It'll feel good to finally let it all out."

"I wouldn't mind hearing it more in-depth myself." Pike chipped in. "I've only ever gotten the gist of it."

"You wanna listen too, be my guest." Black shrugged. "But prepare yourselves for some real depressng storytelling..."

Many years ago...

For the next couple of years, Black continued on his missions. There were several other occasions following the mission to Moscolt where Black lost his temper and killed his targets.

He still lied about it, and received increasingly skeptic looks from the others. But he was becoming less and less concerned about it, to the point where he barely even cared whether they knew the truth anymore. After all, he was only doing what they'd recruited him to do.

But almost as if in response to his new way of thinking, Black's missions starting getting fewer and farther between, and in his now unbalanced state of mind, he was thinking Elite may have had something to do with it.

'He's deliberately keeping me out of the action.' Black thought, as he lounged in his quarters, paranoia stewing inside his brain. 'Lousy ingrate. I'm just doing exactly what he wanted, being what he wanted, and this is how he repays me? By giving me nothing? I oughta have some words with him. Stinkin' rotten...'

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

"What?!" Black snarled, outraged that his thinking had been interrupted.

The door opened to reveal Armory.

"It's... me, Black." Armory said nervously, unnerved by Black's outburst.

"Oh." Black frowned, feeling a touch guilty. "What's up?"

"Nothing much." Armory shrugged, holding up a newspaper. "Just thought you might want to see today's Canterlot Gazette."

"Why would I want to-" Black stopped as he saw the picture on the front page. It displayed Shine, standing side by side with Celestia. "Wait. Shine?"

Black had still managed to drop in on Shine and Mist every so often, in spite of his declining mentality, so he of course recognized his nephew, even if he was full-grown. He glanced at the headline.

Wedding of the Century!

"What the...?" Black gaped, reading the article out loud. "'Today, all of Canterlot rejoices, as our Princess of the Sun has finally gained a Prince. After a long romance, Shine Paladin of Dodge Junction has wed Celestia'. Wait, Shine... he married... I..."

"I know it's something of a surprise." Armory declared. "I couldn't believe it myself at first. But there it is, in black and white."

"Wow." Black murmured. "Just... wow. My nephew married a Princess. I knew we Paladins were ladies' stallions, but geez..."

"Technically, this would make Celestia your niece." Armory pointed out.

"Yeah, it would." Black nodded. "But I don't think she'd enjoy seeing me at a family reunion."

"No, she wouldn't." Armory chuckled.

"And now Shine is royalty." Black smiled, a genuine smile on his face for the first time in a long while. "How about that? I always knew the kid was destined for greatness, but still..."

"White would surely be proud, wouldn't he?" Armory asked.

"Yeah." Black sighed. "He would..."

"Sorry." Armory said quickly. "I didn't think-"

"It's okay." Black assured him. "I'm just sorry White couldn't be here to see his boy become a Prince. Guess I'll just have to be proud enough for both of us."

"I know you will." Armory smiled.

"Thanks for showing me this." Black smiled. "I really appreciate it, pal."

"Hey, I had to." Armory grinned. "I know you've been a little... preoccupied lately. I figured you needed a pick-me-up."

"That I did, that I did." Black nodded. "I've been going nuts, cooped up in here."

"That's what I'm afraid of..." Armory said under his breath.

"Huh?" Black frowned. "You say something?"

"Oh, nothing." Armory smiled. "I'm just glad I could cheer you up."

"Me too." Black smiled.

"Wanna come to the mess hall with me?" Armory asked. "They're serving matzahloaf."

"Sure, why not?" Black grinned. "I could eat."

Black and Armory made their way to the dining area. Master Mind and Incognito were there, but Black did an excellent job of pretending they didn't exist. Armory, having no wish to ruin Black's good mood, chose not to call him out on it. They got their food, sat at a table of Black's choosing (as far from the others as possible), and started eating.

"One good thing about staying at this dump: great food." Black said between mouthfuls.

"No kidding." Armory smiled. "Back in Braezil, I had to survive on coconuts and guava. It was okay for a while, but it got old real fast."

"Poor you." Black snorted.

They finished their food soon after.

"Well, after a filling meal like that, I think I'll head down to the gym and pound the ol' punching bag for a while." Black declared. "See how long it takes me to ruin this one. Might even break my current record."

"Yeah, good luck with that." Armory smiled weakly.

"Luck isn't part of the equation." Black grinned, as he departed the mess hall.

Armory watched his friend leave, and couldn't help but feel a terrible sense of foreboding.

"Hang in there, Black." He whispered. "Hang in there..."

Black did indeed managed to bust the punching bag even quicker than the last one. Ballista was in the gym at the same time, taking note of Black's accomplishment.

"Nice one, mate." He applauded him.

"Thanks." Black smirked. "But it's no big deal. I just picture one of our enemies, and it becomes so much easier."

"That's the kind of attitude I like." Ballista grinned. "You're a real credit to this outfit, Black."

"Hey, I'm just doing what comes naturally." Black declared, thinking 'Which is exactly why you recruited me in the first place...'

"Of course you are." Ballista clapped Black on the back. "Keep up the good work."

"You can count on that." Black chuckled.

Black's mood remained lightened for the next few days. To his delight, he was soon summoned to Elite's office, no doubt for a mission.

"Hey, boss." He smirked as he entered. "I was beginning to think you'd forgotten about me."

"Of course not, Black." Elite smiled.

"So, what can I do you for?" Black asked.

"First off, I must inform you that Princess Celestia and Prince Shine recently signed a peace treaty with Queen Chrysalis and her Changelings." Elite announced.

"Seriously?" Black gaped. "My nephew and Celestia made a deal with those pests?"

"That's what they say." Elite nodded.

"Didn't think the bug Queen would go for something like that." Black mused.

"Well, she did." Elite nodded. "I heard it was a close call, but things turned out alright... unfortunately, we have a new problem."

"Oh, do tell me more." Black smiled darkly.

Elite grimaced, perturbed by Black's enthusiasm.

"You see, upon the signing of the treaty, most of Chrysalis' subjects have gone along with her new outlook... unfortunately, those who didn't have reacted quite violently." Elite declared.

"How violently is 'quite violently'?" Black asked.

"Here." Elite held up a file. "See for yourself."

Elite opened the file, revealing photos of demolished buildings and smoking craters. Black gazed in horror.

"There have been a recent spat of underground bombings, which have caused entire buildings to collapse from below." Elite announced. "And they are striking directly at Equestria's capital."

"Wait, these attacks have been happening in Canterlot?" Black gaped, his thoughts turning to Shine for a moment.

"Indeed." Elite said grimly. "For the past couple of weeks, there have been numerous cases of sinkholes coming into being, bringing down entire buildings and whatever ponies happen to be inside. Going by the frequency of these sinkholes, we deduced that it was not natural. This was made concrete when we found these notes."

Elite passed Black a note on some weathered paper. Words were scrawled upon it. Black could only just make them out.

"'Attention, ponies. The destruction you have just experienced was brought about by us, the representatives of the true Changeling race'." He read aloud. "'The so-called peace treaty you manipulated our kind into accepting is nothing but spineless pony rhetoric. You ponies may have hoodwinked our Queen into accepting you somehow, but we refuse to allow this. That is why we have attacked your precious capital. This is a warning. All ponies are to stay away from our kind, or suffer the consequences'."

"As you can see, they're not exactly trying to hide themselves, or their motives." Elite declared.

"How are they doing it, though?" Black growled.

"We sent Master Mind to examine the crime scenes, and discovered that the sinkholes were caused by extreme vibrations in the caves below." Elite explained. "We believe that they have been planting charges within the caves, right under certain buildings, and when they are set off, the ensuing cave-ins cause the sinkholes. We assume it's their M.O.."

"Of course, those vermin have been hiding in caves their whole lives." Black frowned. "But why would they do this? Isn't this treaty supposed to make things better for them?"

"I believe not all Changelings are so willing to accept peaceful co-operation." Elite sighed. "After years of preying on and fighting ponies, they may not be ready to bury the hatchet."

"So... not that this isn't bad or anything... but how do the Forefathers figure into this?" Black asked.

"They don't." Elite frowned. "At least, not that we are aware of yet."

"Then why are we even having this conversation?" Black grimaced. "I thought I was here to fight the Forefathers, not solve all the world's problems."

"Well, that's where you're wrong." Elite glared. "In case you've forgotten, the Taskforce is affiliated with the RDL, and we are bound by our code to keep the peace, especially between the races of Equestria. These bombings threaten the peace that we have only just obtained with the Changelings. If we don't stop them now, Changelings may never find their place with ponies ever again. Believe it or not, the Forefathers aren't the only problem Equestria has."

"...Okay, you made your point." Black sighed, as he then adopted a smirk, and bumped his hooves together. "So... my mission is to dish out justice upon these lousy burrowing bomber bugs?"

"Actually, no." Elite shook his head.

"What?!" Black spluttered. "You're gonna leave me out of that action?!"

"Yes." Elite nodded. "But only because you are needed elsewhere."

"Huh?" Black frowned. "Where else would I be needed?"

"It's complicated." Elite revealed. "You see, while we know that the bombers are Changelings, the problem is that we have no way of finding them. There are hundreds of Changelings in that territory, let alone in Equestria. And they don't have anything resembling a background check."

"So?" Black asked. "Why not just go in there and ask around?"

"Out of the question." Elite frowned. "The peace treaty is still new. The bombings have already put the other Changelings on edge. If the military were to come in, asking questions, the Queen herself would assume that Celestia and the ponies don't trust them, and the treaty would dissolve."

"Then how else do we find these bombers?" Black growled. "Because finding them sounds like finding a needle in a stack of needles."

"Don't you worry, we have devised a plan." Elite declared. "You see, on the edge of the territory, there is this gang of Changeling-hating ponies. They have been taking advantage of the bombings in an attempt to stir up new hate for the Changelings. They pose a major threat to all Changelings, regardless of personal viewpoints. Your mission will be to to infiltrate the group, and gather information on all their activities."

"Infiltrate, huh?" Black mused. "That's new..."

"I know." Elite nodded. "But those thugs respect strength, and you have more strength than anypony I know. If anypony can infiltrate their ranks, it's you. Simply offer them your services in their twisted crusade, by pretending to hate Changelings as much as they do."

"I think I can fake 'hate' pretty well." Black smirked.

"And since it's been so long since your 'death', I highly doubt they'll recognise you." Elite added.

"Guess it has been a while." Black nodded. "But still, how will joining up with these guys help any?"

"It's simple really. The bombers are causing these attacks to protest the treaty." Elite explained. "A form of retaliation for many years of abuse. We believe that if you join the gang, you can 'subtly' urge them to harass the Changelings more frequently. Not enough to spark a war, but just enough to force the bombers' hooves into doing something drastic. That should cause them to come out of hiding, and when they do, Ballista will lead the others in taking them out."

"Smart thinking." Black nodded. "But where do I find these guys?"

"We have reliable intel that they're hiding out close to the swamplands." Elite noted. "They usually prowl around in the forest, looking for Changelings to torment."

"Then that's where I'll start looking." Black nodded.

"I must warn you to be careful out there, Black." Elite declared.

"Why?" Black scowled. "Don't think I can do it?"

"Not at all." Elite shook his head. "But undercover work is tricky business. If you say or do the wrong thing, the targets will realise you aren't one of them, and react with hostility."

"Relax, boss." Black smiled. "I'm a pretty good actor." He mentally added 'Fooled you, didn't I?'

"I suppose so." Elite nodded. "And once you've successfully flushed out the bombers, they will get what's coming to them."

"And what about the gang?" Black asked.

"Once your mission is complete, you can discretely inform the local authorities of their whereabouts." Elite declared. "In that respect, we'll be killing two birds with one stone."

"And who says stallions can't multi-task?" Black joked. "Of course, that'll be after all the hard work is done..."

"Speaking of which." Elite held up a mirror. "We'll need you to check in with us every few days. Just in case."

"Yeah, sure." Black nodded. "It's not like you can't trust me to get the job done."

"I do trust you, Black." Elite said earnestly. "You are one of the strongest, most noble stallions I've ever met. But it never hurts to take precautions."

"I guess so..." Black shrugged, shaken by the sincere look in Elite's eyes. "I'll do my best, you can count on that..."

"I'm sure you'll do great, Black." Elite smiled. "...Just like always."

"Thanks, boss." Black grinned.

As Black left the room, Elite hung his head.

'I hope I'm making the right choice here.' He thought. 'Throwing you into a group of violent, psychotic thugs... I can only hope it doesn't affect your already shaky mental state... Then again, a mission with no real target means no killing. And how lucky can a bunch of thugs be? There's very little evidence to suggest they do more than simply brutalize their victims. And it's not like they'll have Changelings to harass every five minutes, so Black won't be able to join in that much... right?'

Elite's doubts were answered with silence.

It didn't long for Black to get prepared for his mission. Since he was going undercover, he needed no gadgets, just a change of clothes (a dark sweater and a tattered leather jacket) and his tapeplayer, which he thought he could use during the lonely nights.

"Good luck out there, Black." Armory told him as he prepared to depart.

"You too, pal." Black smiled. "When you do find those bomber bugs, give 'em one from me."

"I sure will." Armory chuckled.

"Go for it, mate." Ballista grinned. "Once you've done yer job, give those thugs what for."

"That's the plan." Black nodded.

"Rrrf!" Titan licked Black.

"Yeah, I'll miss you too, ya big mutt." Black wiped his face.

"Be safe, Black." Elite nodded. "We all have faith in you."

Armory frowned, but said nothing.

"I won't let you down." Black nodded. "And off I go..."

Black exited the headquarters on hoof, taking a train to his desitination.

As he made his way to the swamplands, it was with a sense of discomfort. Without his armor, he actually felt a trifle naked.

'Who'd have thought I'd actually get used to that bucket?' He thought to himself.

As Black neared the forest, he heard a commotion up ahead.

"Get him!"

"He went this way!"

As Black tried to discern where the noise was coming from, a Changeling suddenly burst forth from the bushes, running for his life. Black saw a flash in his mind's eye of the attack on Reinadh, all the Changelings there which he had killed. While he still felt guilty over their deaths, a part of him had grown to resent them, irrationally believing that since everything that had gone in his life had occurred after that day, it had to have been the Changelings' fault; That their blind, deluded agreement to be in that town as unwitting suicide bombers had directly resulted of Rookie's death, and Black's estrangement from White. That resentment suddenly boiled over, and Black tackled the Changeling.

"No, please!" The Changeling begged. "Don't hurt me!"

"You should have thought of that before, bug." Black said coldly.

"I'm begging you, let me go." The Changeling quivered. "There are others chasing me. They've been after me for hours. I-I think they want to kill me."

"Really?" Black sneered, the fog of rage enveloping him again. "Well, guess what? So do I."

Black punched the Changeling in the face. He made to repeat the move, but the Changeling bit his hoof.

"Ahhh!" Black cried out.

The Changeling took the opportunity to pull himself away from Black. But as he did, the bushes parted again, and a group of brutish stallions emerged. At the forefront was a lanky light blue Earth Pony stallion with a blonde mane, and a stopwatch Cutie Mark. Alongside him was a white stallion with a black mane, and a black stallion with a white mane. Their Cutie Marks were both spears, but they faced in opposite directions.

"Th-there you are." The leader smirked. "D-didn't think you could run for us forever, huh?"

"No..." The Changeling gulped, his avenues of escape being blocked by the circling thugs. The black stallion grabbed him, and held him down.

"Yes." The white stallion nodded. "You're gonna get it now..."

"Get it bad..." The black stallion added.

'These must be the thugs Elite was talking about.' Black thought. 'Time to get into character.'

"Hey, I saw that bug first!" Black yelled, stepping forward.

"Wr-wrong." The head stallion countered. "We've been chasing that vermin for miles."

"And we're not about to let it get away." The white stallion added.

"Please." Black snorted. "If I hadn't given it some lumps, it would have gotten away anyhow."

"Is that so?" The black stallion asked.

"Yeah." Black nodded. "So when you think it, you kinda owe me."

"...Hmm, in that case, maybe we should let you join in on squashing this bug." The head stallion suggested.

"No, please..." The Changeling begged.

"With pleasure." Black held up his wounded hoof. "The little pest bit me. For that, I'm gonna punch its teeth out."

"N-not my teeth!" The Changeling held his hooves to his mouth.

"Well, well." The blue stallion smirked. "That is s-surely an excellent move. It'd be a crime not to see it in action... O-okay, go for it."

"Oh, yeah..." Black smirked, the dark fog clouding his mind once more.

"This is gonna be good..." The black stallion sneered, shifting the Changeling so Black could get a clear shot.

"Don't, I'm begging you..." The Changeling quivered.

"Maybe if you begged me instead of bit me, I'd consider it." Black snarled. "Instead, I'm gonna make sure you never bite anypony else with those filthy fangs ever again."

Black punched the Changeling hard in the mouth, shattering a fang.

"Urrrh!" The Changeling groaned, his hooves pinned by the black stallion.

"One down." Black sneered. "Now for the other..."

Black punched the other fang, cracking it.

"Tougher than the other one, huh?" He smirked. "Maybe this'll help..."

Black grabbed the fang with both hooves, and pulled.

"Ahhh!" The Changeling cringed, as the crack widened.

With one last tug, Black ripped everything under the crack out of the Changeling's mouth.

"There we go." Black sneered, holding up the fang. "Knew it'd come out eventually."

"Uh-huh-huh-huh..." The Changeling groaned in agony.

"P-poor baby." The blue stallion sniggered. "I think it needs to be put out of its misery."

"Aw, yeah." The white stallion nodded. "Kill it!"

Black was about to agree when the dark fog around his head began to dissipate. He remembered his mission...

"Better idea." He smiled. "Let it go."

"Huh?" The blue stallion frowned.

"Why would we let this vermin go?" The black stallion asked.

"So it can go back to the rest of its pestilent kind, and let them know who to fear." Black declared.

"Hmm..." The blue stallion mused. "Th-that's not such a bad idea. We can put a little bit of fear into those scumbugs. Let 'em know they don't belong here, that ponies don't want peace with their filthy kind."

"Exactly." Black nodded. "Once they know who you are, they'll be a whole lot more scared."

"I do like seein' them quiver..." The white stallion grinned.

"S-so, it's decided." The blue stallion nodded. "Dice, let the bug up."

"You got it, boss." The black stallion complied.

The Changeling struggled to his hooves, too terrified and traumatised to move.

"Alright bug, l-listen up." Twist hissed. "You go tell as m-many of your wretched kind as possible that they're not welcome in Equestria, no matter what some bleeding-heart royals say. T-tell 'em if they so much as stick their heads out of your filthy hive, the likes of us will come down on 'em like a ton of bricks. N-now... go."

The Changeling remained rooted to the spot.

"He said 'go'!" Black snarled. "Rarrrgh!"

The Changeling fled in utter terror.

"Not bad, not bad at all." The blue stallion admitted.

"Yeah, you really crushed that bug!" The white stallion added.

"It was my pleasure." Black smirked. "I hate those overgrown roaches."

"S-so do we all." The blue stallion nodded.

"Who are you guys, anyway?" Black feigned ignorance. "Some kinda Changeling hunting club?"

"Y-you could say that." The blue stallion smirked. "We hunt down those vermin to keep E-Equestria pure. I'm Twitch Cardinal. And these are Slice and Dice." He indicated first the white then black stallions. "And you are?"

"Red Eclipse." Black declared. He had chosen his alias after some thought, taking inspiration from his Cutie Mark. "Hey, think you got room for one more in your little gang?"

"It's not so little, buddy-boy." Slice smirked. "We got plenty more."

"B-but we're always on the lookout for new recruits." Twitch smiled. "If you want in, we'll gladly have you."

"We could really use a guy like you." Slice nodded. "You way you knocked out that Changeling's teeth... inspiring."

"Yeah, the others are gonna love you." Dice nodded.

"And I'm sure I'll love them." Black smirked. "If they hate Changelings as much as you guys, it's pretty much a given."

"C-come this way." Twitch offered.

Black was led to a small shack on the edge of the swamplands.

"Nice place." Black mused.

"I-it's not much, but it's home." Twitch admitted. "Now, meet everypony else..."

Twitch opened the front door, and they were greeted by another dozen stallions.

"Twitch!" One of the stallions smiled. "Back so soon?"

"Th-there were slim pickings today." Twitch declared.

"Who's the new guy?" Another stallion asked.

"This is Red Eclipse." Slice smiled. "Our latest recruit."

"Is he any good?" A third stallion asked.

"Good?" Dice grinned. "He ripped the fangs right off one of those bugs!"

"Whoa, really?" The first stallion asked.

"Take a look." Black held up the fang.

"That is... awesome!" The second stallion cheered.

The others all cheered.

"Q-quite a first impression, my friend." Twitch smiled.

"Thanks." Black grinned. "I think I'm gonna like it here..."

"Let's welcome our new brother with some drinks!" Slice declared.

"Yeah!" The crowd cheered.

"I could use a cold one." Black smirked, as he was handed a bottle.

"Th-this is cause for celebration." Twitch declared. "One more for our crusade. A-another nail in the Changelings' coffin."

"Yeah, sure." Black nodded.

After a couple of hours of drinking, most of the stallions took to sleeping on sleeping bags, hammocks, etc. But Black slipped outside. He held up the mirror. Elite appeared in the glass.

"How's it going, Black?" Elite asked.

"Better than I thought." Black smiled. "I've already made contact with those thugs, and won their confidence. I even made some headway with getting them to draw out the bombers."

"Excellent." Elite smiled. "Keep up the good work."

"Oh, I will." Black smirked.

Putting away the mirror, Black returned to the inside of the shack. He climbed into the sleeping bag he had been provided, put on his headphones, and turned on his tapeplayer.

All my friends are heathens
Take it slow
Wait for them to ask
Who you know

'Again, so oddly appropriate.' Black noted. 'I'm starting to think Rookie could see the future...'

Please don't make any sudden moves
You don't know the half of the abuse

The morning after, Black and Twitch's group were chasing down some Changelings. The Changelings definitely had some speed; Even the Pegasi in Twitch's group were having trouble keeping up.

"Slippery little runts, aren't they?" One stallion asked.

"Split up!" Black declared. "Give 'em nowhere to run!"

"Good thinking!" Twitch nodded.

The group separated and pinned down the Changelings, beating them severely.

"How did we ever get anything done without you, Black?" Slice smirked.

"Lucky for you we crossed paths." Black grinned.

"L-luck? More like destiny." Twitch remarked. "I like to think we were meant to meet."

"You have no idea..." Black muttered.

All my friends are heathens
Take it slow
Wait for them to ask
Who you know

Please don't make any sudden moves
You don't know the half of the abuse

A few days later, Black led the group to a small gathering of Changelings, who were hiding inside a mine shaft. It was a veritable massacre. Crossbow bolts flew everywhere, and Changeling blood splattered on the ground. Black knew he wouldn't be able to talk the group out of full-scale slaughter unless he wanted to lose all the notoriety he had gained, but a part of him actually enjoyed it. He employed crippling shots so the others could finish the target, but he still relished the Changelings' pain.

"Nice shots, Red." Dice grinned. "You really know how to hurt those things, don't you?"

"Seems only fair." Black found himself saying. "Those bugs have caused a fair amount of pain. About time I returned the favor."

"N-now that's the kind of zeal I like!" Twitch declared, as he brutally stomped on a Changeling's head. "H-hey, how'd you like to be our chief scout? You s-seem to have a knack for rooting off this vermin."

"It's not that impressive." Black shrugged. "I can practically smell 'em."

In truth, Black had used his training from the Taskforce and the Royal Defense Forces to discern probable hiding places. But Twitch didn't need to know that.

Welcome to the room of people
Who have rooms of people
That they loved one day
Docked away

Just because we check the guns at the door
Doesn't mean our brains will change
From hand grenades

One evening, Black contacted Elite.

"It's been a while since your last communication." Elite noted. "Any problems?"

"No." Black shrugged. "I've just been... busy."

"Busy how?" Elite frowned.

"Busy maintaining my cover." Black scowled. "It's not easy keeping up an act like this, especially for a bunch of bloodthirsty racists."

"I meant nothing by it." Elite declared. "Honestly, I'm just glad you're still okay. We all are."

"...Thanks, boss." Black sighed. "And tell the others not to worry. With all the trouble we've been causing for the Changelings, it won't be long until those bombers stick their necks out again."

"Of course." Elite nodded. "And make no mistake, we're standing by."

"Would I expect anything else?" Black shrugged.

"R-Red? Red!" Twitch's voice called out.

"Gotta go." Black told Elite. "I'll call you when I can."

Black put away the mirror mere seconds before Twitch found him.

"Ah, th-there you are." He mused. "What are you doing out here?"

"Just enjoying some Changeling-free air." Black declared. "It's nice, isn't it?"

"Y-yeah, I guess." Twitch shrugged.

"You guess?" Black frowned. "I thought you were out to wipe out those bugs?"

"W-well, I am, but..." Twitch muttered.

"What are you, having second thoughts?" Black asked.

"N-no." Twitch shook his head. "It's just..."

"Just what?" Black glared at him. "Come on. If we're going to be working together, I have to trust you."

"B-but I-" Twitch quivered.

"If you don't tell me right now, I'm outta here." Black said firmly. "Now spill."

Twitch looked around warily.

"The t-truth is, I don't actually hate Changelings." Twitch sighed.

"You don't?" Black gaped.

"I do think they're g-gross, but it doesn't really go beyond that." Twitch admitted. "I've just been faking for the boys."

"...Wait, if you don't hate Changelings, then why are you hanging out with these guys?" Black frowned.

"It's a very long story." Twitch frowned, his memories going back to a certain mob family he'd betrayed. "Let's just say I made some ponies very mad and they want me dead."

"Heh, know that feeling..." Black scoffed.

"Well, for a while I have been hiding. It wasn't till I met the gang that I learned that there was safety in numbers." Twitch shrugged. "So here I stay..." He then frowned. "You're not going to tell anypony, are you-"

"Naw, your secret is safe with me." Black shook his head. "Just... surprised, is all."

"I imagine y-you are." Twitch sighed. "What must you think of m-me?"

"Hey, we all gotta lie sometime." Black declared. "Especially to fit in someplace. Trust me, I've done plenty of that, and there is no shame in it."

"I s-suppose you're right." Twitch smiled. "Thanks, R-Red. You really are something."

"So I've heard." Black smirked.

"J-just don't stay out too late." Twitch declared. "The boys wouldn't want you tired for tomorrow's hunt."

"I'll be along in just a second." Black declared.

"O-okay." Twitch nodded. "Oh, and Red? Thanks."

"Anytime." Black smiled, as Twitch went back inside. "Good to know I'm not the only pony here with secrets..."

You'll never know the psychopath sitting next to you
You'll never know the murderer sitting next to you
You'll think, how'd I get here sitting next to you
But after all I've said, please don't forget

During his new duties as scout, Black found an abandoned inn not far from the swamplands. Acknowledging that it would be far roomier than the shack, he informed Twitch of its location.

"N-nice find, Red." Twitch smiled, as he and the others appraised the location. "K-kind of dusty, but nice."

"Yeah, this is much roomier than that dingy shack." Dice noted.

"Well, I figured Changelings shouldn't be the only thing I should be scouting." Black declared. "Some new digs would be high on the list."

"There's even a bar!" Slice whooped. "Got a couple of decent aged wines in there!"

"Way to go, Red!" Another stallion cheered.

"You're the tops!" A second added.

"You rule!" A third grinned.

"Th-they're right, you know." Twitch smiled. "Thanks to you, we're doing better than ever. We owe you so much."

"Thanks..." Black frowned, unnerved by the sincere looks of gratitude on their faces.

All my friends are heathens
Take it slow
Wait for them to ask
Who you know

Please don't make any sudden moves
You don't know the half of the abuse

That evening, the group celebrated by drinking both the wine at the bar and the alcohol they'd brought along. There was much revelry, but Black was sitting in a corner, conflicted.

'These guys are really starting to like me.' He thought. 'And I... I like them. But I shouldn't. They're a bunch of racist thugs. But still... they're basically normal stallions. They're not military commanders, spies, or assassins. They're not using me, judging me, or telling me how to live my life. They accept me for me. It's been a while since I had company like this. ...Come on, Black, remember the mission. When the bombers have been dealt with, you need to rat these guys out to the cops. Even if they do like having you around...'

"Hey, Red!" Slice called. "Come and join us!"

"I'm good." Black retorted. "Don't wanna get too plastered. Still got work to do tomorrow..."

"Aw, come on!" Dice snorted. "Live a little, dude!"

"Red! Red! Red!" The others chanted.

"...Okay, maybe one more drink wouldn't hurt." Black shrugged.

Several drinks later, Black was completely drunk.

"Yeah, that's the stuff!" Black slurred. "Don't get this where I'm from."

"Too bad for you." Slice declared, accidentally bumping another stallion.

"Hey, watch it!" The stallion shoved him.

Slice was knocked into Dice, who spilled his drink on a further stallion.

"Why you..." The stallion tackled Dice.

In mere seconds, a full-fledged bar brawl began.

"Oh, yeah!" Black punched a stallion out. "Can't remember the last time I was in a good old-fashioned slobberknocker!"

They fought for the next five minutes, before inexplicably forgiving each other and going back to drinking.

"I love you guys... so freakin' much." Black slurred, only suffering a bruised cheek.

"I love you too." Slice smirked goofily, nursing a bleeding head wound.

"I love you like a brother... " Dice added. "Not him, though." He pointed to Slice. "He's lame compared to you."

"Thanks a lot." Slice pouted.

The other stallions drunkenly gabbled words of agreement.

"Thanks, guys." Black smiled. "You're all my brothers too." He raised his glass. "To brotherhood!"

"Brotherhood!" The others cheered.

They chugged more drinks, then passed out, one by one.

We don't deal with outsiders very well
They say newcomers have a certain smell
You have trust issues, not to mention
They say they can smell your intentions

You'll never know the freak show sitting next to you
You'll have some weird people sitting next to you
You'll think, how'd I get here sitting next to you
But after all I've said, please don't forget
(Watch it, watch it)

A few days later, Twitch approached Black.

"What's up, boss?" Black asked.

"O-our kill quota is up." Twitch smiled. "All thanks to y-you, Red."

"Hey, just doing my job." Black shrugged.

"A-and you do it so well." Twitch nodded. "S-so well, in fact, that I'm making you my second in command."

"You are?" Black gaped.

"Y-yep." Twitch nodded. "I-in fact, I can think of nopony better."

"Oh... thanks." Black mused, surprised.

"And as my second in command, y-you get the second best room in this joint." Twitch pointed out one of the luxury suites. "W-with my compliments."

"Thanks." Black declared.

Black actually found himself appreciating Twitch's generosity, as he settled into his new room.

'Twitch is a real nice guy, for a thug and a coward...' He thought. 'Maybe a little too nice...'

All my friends are heathens
Take it slow
Wait for them to ask
Who you know

Please don't make any sudden moves
You don't know the half of the abuse

Why'd you come, you knew you should have stayed
I tried to warn you just to stay away
And now they're outside, ready to bust
It looks like you might be one of us

The days passed. Black came to enjoy his work with the thugs, to the point where he was neglecting his commitments to the Taskforce. He was checking in with Elite less and less. The mirror was one way, so as to prevent a call at the wrong time blowing Black's cover. And Black was finding it less and less necessary to use it. In fact, with all the post-hunt fun he was having with the gang, sometimes it simply slipped his mind. And other times, he choose to ignore it...

After another successful hunt, Black sat in his room in the inn.

'I never thought this job could be so much fun.' Black thought. 'These guys really seem to get me. No more strategies, no more boring lectures... just getting the job done.'

Black lifted up the mirror.

'I guess Elite will want me to come back like a good little soldier when this is over...' Black stopped for a moment, considering what he had just thought. 'But maybe I don't want to. Maybe I like where I am now. Maybe I'm so good at playing the monster that I should make a full-time go of it.'

Black's grin turned wicked.

'In fact, why should I go along with this stupid Project: Argo? Why be a rabid attack dog when I could be a free wolf? No more orders, no more hiding, no more being held back... I'll be free to make my own choices... to be my own master. As far as everypony aside from the Taskforce knows, Black Knight Paladin is already dead, forever remembered as the traitor who murdered an entire village. Betrayed his own brother... betrayed by the ones he once called comrades...'

His grin faltered a bit, his mind going back to his friends.

'But then again, what about Armory?' Black thought. 'And Elite. Titan. Even that lousy Ballista. They're my friends. They need me. The Taskforce couldn't get by without me. I'm their best operative...'

Black's brief moment of doubt gave way to more unbalanced thinking.

'But that changes today.' Black declared. 'No more will I be used. I am going to be free to make my own choices. Start a whole new life... away from them, away from Shine and Mist, away from... Belle and Shade...' Black shook his head solemnly. 'Away from them all. Black Knight is no more... in his stead, I will be Red Eclipse!'

He then glanced downwards, giving a sneer.

'As the first order of business... I think the gang should be lead by somepony a bit more competent. After all, Black may take orders... but Red doesn't.' Black sneered.

Black walked downstairs, where Twitch and the other thugs were waiting.

"Ah, there you are, R-Red." Twitch declared. "It's about t-time. We have a lot of work to do."

"Yeah, we do." Black nodded. "But that's not your call anymore."

"...I-It's not?" Twitch frowned. "Says who?"

"Says me." Black scowled. "Your time as boss is done. I'm taking over. Got a problem with that?"

"...Say what now?" Twitch raised a brow. "What are you talking about?"

"This gang has been doing so much better since I came along." Black declared. "You said it yourself. I know what it means to possess true strategy, true cunning, and true leadership."

"He's got a point." Slice admitted. "I've never seen a pony as tough as him."

"Or as skilled." Dice added.

The others mumbled in agreement.

"Red, y-you can't be serious." Twitch frowned. "I mean, you're tough and all, but I doubt you have the smarts it takes to lead a-"

"Oh, not only do I have the smarts, but I am in every way a better leader than you." Black sneered, as he inched closer. "I'm bigger than you. I'm stronger than you. And I am not a coward who fakes hating stuff."

"Well... s-still..." Twitch stuttered, not liking how the stallion was looking at him, before scowling in defiance. "But that changes nothing! I have been running this group for months, and you can't just take that from me!"

"Can't I?" Black sneered. "You're probably only in charge because you're just smart enough to do an adequate job of leading these guys."

"H-how dare you..." Twitch seethed.

"And call me old-fashioned, but I think a real leader shouldn't have a stutter." Black sniggered.

"D-don't insult my st-stutter!" Twitch yelled. "It's a medical condition!"

"Yeah, and whoever heard of a Changeling hunter with a medical condition?" Black shrugged.

"Why, y-you..." Twitch spat.

"And it's not just that." Black added. "You're too soft to get the job done. We should be going after entire hives of Changelings, not a few hiding in caves!"

"H-hives?" Twitch gulped, shocked by the idea. "B-but that's-"

"Too much for your wimpy little mind to comprehend?" Black spat. "I thought so."

"Y-you..." Twitch snarled, his rage coming back.

"I'm taking over. And that's that." Black declared as he turned away.

"Oh no, you don't, motherbucker!" Twitch roared, as he pulled out his trusty butterfly knife. "Y-you won't take this from ME!"

He screamed as he held his knife high and charged Black... only for Black to quickly turn around and slap the knife out of Twitch's hoof effortlessly, grabbed him by the neck, and slammed him against the wall.

Every thug in the room went silent, horrified by what they were seeing. Twitch quivered in fear as he looked at Black, whimpering silently.

"I said, that's that." Black scowled, as he tightened his grip. "Is that going to be a problem, pal?"

"N-no." Twitch trembled. "No p-problem at all... boss."

"Anypony else?" Black snarled at the others.

"Nope." Slice gulped.

"No argument here." Dice quivered.

"Good." Black grinned, as he let Twitch go, dropping him to the ground. "Now, I say we're done going easy on those bugs. From now on, we won't stop until they're all exterminated... How does that sound, boys?"

"Sounds great!" Slice whooped.

"Let's do it!" Dice agreed.

The others followed suit.

"KIll 'em all!"

"Wipe 'em out!"

"You da stallion, Red!"

Twitch walked away from the scene.

"T-take my place, will you?" He snarled. "A-after all I've done for you? Go ahead. I-I'd leave, but it's not like I have anywhere else to go. I'll have to stay, but don't expect me to have your back anymore. One day, you'll meet your match, and I won't be sticking around then..."

Meanwhile, back at the Taskforce headquarters, the others was mulling over the recent lack of communication.

"I don't get it." Ballista frowned. "Black should have checked in by now."

"You don't think something happened to him, do you?" Armory fretted. "Maybe his cover was blown somehow, and they killed him."

"I highly doubt a bunch of thugs could cause Black any trouble, even if he was found out." Elite frowned. "I fear we may have a far greater problem at hoof..."

The present...

"So there you have it." Black said remorsefully. "The day I left my comrades behind, and gave in to my hate... and also, a need to talk to myself."

"Oh, geez." Caboose sighed. "And not only that, you started hanging around with Twitch, of all ponies!"

"Oh, right, I think I recall Twitch having a history with you and your brothers." Black cringed. "...What did he do to your family that was so bad?"

"He killed my eldest brother before I was born." Caboose deadpanned.

"...Oh." Black frowned. "Sorry."

"Forget about it. I only found out just before the Crystal Sun thing happened." Caboose shrugged. "Besides, now he's down in Tartarus, doing butt stuff with his bunkmate."

Down in Tartarus...

Both Tirek and Twitch were in their cells, and had somehow heard Caboose's remark.

"Th-that is not true!" Twitch yelled.

"As if I'd even come near this spineless fool..." Tirek sneered.

"H-hey!" Twitch spat.

Back on the surface...

"It's a real tragedy." Fletcher declared. "Everything you went through. All the loss and pain that twisted you into becoming Red Eclipse. It was a terrible thing. I see that now."

"So true." Pike sighed. "I didn't hear about it until later, but boy, was it a terrible thing to hear."

"No kidding." Black sighed. "But at the time, I thought it was the best thing I could've done. I felt like I was free. That I could do anything. I no longer had to answer to anypony. I was free to play by my own rules. But those rules would soon come to bite me in the ass..."

Author's Note:

Heathens belongs to Twenty One Pilots.