• Published 19th May 2016
  • 5,776 Views, 108 Comments

Paladin Anon - The7thElement



Sit back and relax as I tell you of the journey of a knight of Equestria who goes by the name of Anon.

  • ...
36
 108
 5,776

Reliving the past. Stopping an assassination.


985 years later

“Blast it.” Anon said to himself as he shielded his eyes from the natural alarm clock that was the sun. ‘Guess it’s time to go to work.’ He thought to himself as he got out of bed. He then used his magic to open the blinds fully so that the sunlight flooded his room.

As he began to rub the sleep out of his eyes he heard a quick knock at his door. “Give me a sec I’m on my way!” He yelled out to whoever was on the other side of the door. As he slipped into his light armor he found himself contemplating whether to wear his helmet or not. In the end he decided against it as his helmet was mainly used for fear tactics. Part of the reason he made it look like a small dragon’s head.

As he crossed his room he grabbed his sword wincing slightly as the sword temporarily cut off his magic before it was restored. ‘Maybe I shouldn’t have made this thing out of Anti-magic.’ He thought to himself as his magic managed to work around his blade.

“Hello Miss Raven.” He said as he opened his door to find Raven on the other side.

“Good morning Anon. Unfortunately, I’m here on business so no socializing.”

‘Geez nearly 1000 years and she hasn’t changed a bit. Still so serious.’ Anon thought. “So what business are you here on?”

“Princess Celestia wishes to see you.” She said before turning on the spot and making her way down the hall. As Anon caught up with her she spoke once more. “I would have thought as the Captain of the Princess’ personal guard you would be with her at all times. Instead your sleeping in.”

“To be fair her sun wakes me up at the time I need to fulfill my duties.”

“Alright that still doesn’t explain why you aren’t with her.”

“Don’t need to be. As long as Alpha is with her I can keep an eye on her.” He said before his right eye began to glow a light cyan. “Right now Princess Celestia is in her study with a filly and a baby dragon by the looks of it.”

“Correct as usual. You have to explain to me that link you have with Alpha one day.”

“I’m quite certain that I already have. You just need to pay more attention.” He said jokingly. “Anyway why does Her Majesty wish to see me.”

“Well the filly that you saw is her new student. She wishes for you to meet her.” That got Anon to stop in his tracks for a split second before catching up to Raven. This little pause didn’t go un-noticed by Raven. “Something wrong Paladin?”

“She’s already gotten a new student?”

“Yes she has. Believe me I’m surprised as well. It’s seems like yesterday that her last student was still here.”

“How years has it been exactly since Sunset?”

“About two maybe three.” Raven said as the memories of the young filly ran through her mind. “Anyway her new student is responsible for the dragon that appeared in Canterlot a few days ago.”

“Really? Well I’ll have to be careful.” Anon said as they arrived outside Celestia’s study. “Are you coming in Miss Raven?”

“No. I have work to do. So I’ll have to say goodbye.” Raven said before leaning towards Anon. “Good luck.” She whispered into his ear before heading off to deal with her work.

“Good luck to you too!” He called out after her. He then turned back to face the double doors as he raised his hand and began to knock on them.

“Come in.” Celestia’s voice chimed from the other side of the door. Before Anon could open the doors they were surrounded in Celestia’s magical yellow aura causing them to swing open inward. As he entered the room he heard the doors close behind him.

“Ah Anon, good to see that you’re here. I do hope Raven didn’t wake you.” Celestia said as Anon approached her place at the center of the room where she sat surrounded by a small pile of pillows. She then craned her neck so that she could look behind her. “You can come out Twilight. He’s friendly.”

At this a small lavender unicorn filly walked out from behind Celestia. ‘So this is Celestia’s new student.’ Anon thought to himself as Twilight slowly approached him. Once she reached his feet she than began to circle around him taking in his appearance.

Once she finished her inspection she then made her way back over to Celestia. She than whispered something in her ear. Something that Anon couldn’t hear.

After a few seconds of silence Celestia looked down to Twilight. “Of course you can dear. But how about you introduce yourself to him properly.”

Once Twilight received her answer she gave a nod to Celestia before turning back to Anon. “H-h-hi. I’m Twilight Sparkle.”

At hearing her nervousness Anon bent down to one knee so that he seemed less intimidating to the little filly. “Nice to meet you Twilight. My name’s Anon.”

“I know that, Princess Celestia told me that you know my parents.”

“Your parents?” Anon questioned. He then raised his head and gave Celestia a look that said: ‘Who are her parents?’

“Her parents are Night Light and Twilight Velvet.” She responded to his unanswered question.

“Ah yes. How is your parents these days Twilight?”

“They’re doing well. Mom’s actually gotten into writing a novel series. They’re selling quite a bit at a measly 10 bits it’s affordable for most ponies.” Twilight said a grin adorning her muzzle. “I actually helped her with finding out what genre she should pursue. I performed a simple survey and found that the most popular genre was drama.”

“Whoa.” Anon said amazed at what she had just said. “Twilight how old are you?”

“Um ten why?”

“Ten. Didn’t think I’d meet a ten-year-old as smart as you.”

“Thanks Mr.” Twilight said as she gave Anon another grin.

“Anyway the reason why I called you here Anon is because Twilight here wishes to know more about the Minotaur Conflict.” Celestia said getting Anon’s attention.

“The Minotaur Conflict? Are you sure we should be telling Twilight about that?” Anon asked wondering whether a ten-year-old filly should hear about it.

“Well she insisted on learning about it. But how about you introduce Twilight to our friend.”

“Friend? Oh you mean Alpha. Sure thing.”

“Who’s Alpha?” Twilight asked looking between Celestia and Anon.

At this Anon’s eye began to glow the cyan blue from before. “Twilight I want you to remain calm okay.”

“Okay.” Twilight said slightly nervous at who this Alpha would be.

Anon then gave a small nod as a bright light filled the room. Once the light faded Twilight saw that a weird object was floating next to Anon. “Twilight, I would like for you to meet Alpha.”

At this the object floated itself over to Twilight. Once Alpha was closer to Twilight she saw that it had the same structure as some dragon skulls that she had found images of in her research books on dragons.

After a few seconds Alpha let out a deep growl. At this he gave what Twilight guessed was a smile to her.

“If you’re wondering what he said he said hello.” Anon said as he took his place at Alpha’s side.

“He can talk?” Twilight asked as she slowly walked around Alpha inspecting him.

“Well not like you and me. He can only talk in what seems like growls. But I can understand him through a telepathic link that we share.” Anon explained as Twilight finished her inspection.

“So is he meant to be a floating skull?”

“Well he used to be a Timberwolf. But when his wooden body began to decay I transferred his conscious into this new form.”

“So what kind of skull is it?”

“Yes Anon, you never did explain what sort of skull it was.” Celestia said stepping into the conversation.

“He’s a skull from a piece of fiction from Earth. It’s called a Gaster Blaster.” Anon explained.

“Okay then. Well Mr. Anon can you please tell me about the Minotaur Conflict now?” Twilight asked wondering whether she was going to learn about it or not.

“Fine. But I’ll be leaving out the more violent bits.” Anon said before he began remembering the Minotaur Conflict. “It all began 200 years ago…”
(Anon’s POV)
Location: Outlying fields of Ponyville
Year: 785 years since Nightmare Moon

“So what do you think their talking about?” A voice said to my right.

When I turned my head to the right I saw the Captain of the Day Guard. Sharp Point. “No clue Captain. Could be anything, but hopefully Celestia’s managed to talk the Minotaur King into a peace treaty.”

“And if something goes awry? What are we to do we wouldn’t be able to reach her in time.”

‘He makes a good point.’ I thought to myself as I changed my view back to Celestia and the Minotaur King talking in between the two armies of ponies and minotaurs. ‘Even if something went awry I could get Alpha to fire of an energy blast and take out the King.’

As I ended my thought I saw that Celestia made her way back to us whilst I was lost in thought.

“We have a slight problem.” She said to me and Sharp Point, in a grave tone.

“What’s up?” I asked noticing that Sharp had left to go get the army of guards that we had assembled ready for a fight.

“I managed to get King Romulus to agree to a treaty. But on one condition.”

“What’s the condition?”

“He wants our best warrior to face his. If our best warrior wins then he’ll sign the treaty.”

“But if our warrior loses?”

“Then we have to submit to Romulus.” At that I let out a scoff of disbelief.

“So no pressure on me then.” I said leaving Celestia’s side as I made my way towards the minotaurs. “Wish me luck!” I called back to her as she gave me a small wave.

As I made my way towards the opposing army I saw that they had sent out their own warrior to fight me. As I saw him I took notice that Alpha was floating next to me. “Sorry bud, but your going to have to sit this one out.” I then looked back to Celestia. “If I lose this get Celestia back to Canterlot got it?” He gave me a nod in response before teleporting himself to Celestia’s side.

As I finally reached the halfway point between the two armies. It was standing here that I could size up my opponent. The warrior that I was about to fight stood twice as tall as me. He wore what seemed to be a mixture of light and heavy iron armor. His weapons were two one handed axes each of them attached to his belt for quick and easy access.

“So you’re the pony’s best warrior?” He said in a gruff voice as he looked down at me. “Hahahaha you look like a shaved monkey!” He guffawed.

“Not the first time I’ve heard that.” I said remembering a few nobles in Canterlot who had called me the same thing. “Would the best warrior of the minotaurs have a name or not?”

“My name is Leonheart the Manticore Breaker. And you would be?”

“Well if we’re going with titles my name is Paladin Anon. Although most ponies refer to me as Anon.”

“Well then Anon I must ask how did a creature like you come to be?” Leonheart asked. This took me as surprise as from what I had heard about minotaurs they would usually rush into a battle without a second thought.

But this Leonheart took me by surprise. ‘Actually wanting to know about me. Probably trying to throw me off my game. All the more reason to be careful.’ I thought to myself before giving Leonheart an answer. “Well I was pulled into Equestria from another world by some sort of mystical portal.” I then decided maybe I should throw him off of his game as well. “What about you. How did you come to be the minotaur race’s best warrior?”

“Well back in the slums of Minos I was abandoned by my parents as I was born to be weaker then other minotaur children. But one day I was found by the most powerful and strongest family in Minos. The Battleblade family. They found me and took me into their home and trained me.”

“As I grew up I found that they were using me to win a bet that they had made with a rival family about how they were so great that they could make even an abandoned child into an expert warrior. Did I care no I didn’t! I used this as inspiration to become better than they expected. So whenever I wasn’t training or sleeping I would be studying literature and battles of previous minotaur kings. Through my research I learnt new ways to outsmart my opponent.”

“And that is what I did. I challenged King Romulus’ best warrior to a duel and I won. And that my dear friend Anon is how I came to be. Does that satisfy you?”

That story took me by surprise as it was something I wasn’t expecting of the minotaur, but it explained to me why he didn’t want to go charging into a fight with me immediately. “Well I must say Leonheart that was quite the impressive story.” I then readied myself for battle. “Now how about we get this duel started?”

My answer came in the form of the back of Leonheart’s right hand as it sent me flying through the air. “Ow.” I said pulling my face out of the ground as I recovered from the back handed hit that sent me flying.

“Hahahaha are sure that you are the pony’s best warrior!?” He exclaimed barely holding himself back from falling into a fit of laughter. Fortunately for him his comrades in the minotaur army decided to fall into a fit of laughter for him.

As I got back onto my feet I saw that he had unsheathed his axes and was making his way towards me. Luckily for me the scene of a minotaur wielding two axes walking towards me with a look of murder in his eyes, managed to get enough adrenaline pumping through my veins to rush behind him.

As he was turning around to face me I noticed that there were straps on his shoulders and back that kept his armor in place. As I took note of the leather straps Leonheart had managed to turn around and face me. In a split second I managed to draw my sword and block his axes as he brought them down to smash them into my head.

“Huh your pretty quick.” He said as he applied more pressure against my sword. Forcing it and his axes to inch closer to my face.

“Thanks for that.” I replied barely keeping his axes at bay. “I must say your pretty confident in yourself. Even when you have a giant weakness.” As I said this I dropped my sword and rolled to my right. At this sudden drop of my blade Leonheart’s axes continued with their momentum and dug into the ground where I was standing.

As I sprung up from my roll I jumped up onto his right arm. I then pulled out a dagger from my belt and sliced the leather straps that kept his armor attached to his body. After jumping off of him, he spun around and hit me square in the face with the back of one of his axes.

“What weakness there is no weakness to me!” He roared at me but as he took a step towards me his armor fell of of him.

I then took this to my advantage and blasted him onto his back with a blast of magical energy. As he fell onto his back I then picked up my sword and jumped up onto his chest. I then placed the edge of my blade against his neck as he looked up at me with a glint of surprise in his eye.

“How did you?”

“Knock you flat on your back? It’s called magic.”

“If you had magic this whole time why didn’t you lead with that?”

“A couple of reasons. The first being that if what you said before was true about your studies then if I used my magic I’d basically be giving away my secret weapon. Secondly the particular spell I used wouldn’t have done much if your armor was still on so I had to get off of you first.” I explained before applying more pressure to the blade at his throat. “Now do you surrender or not?”

“Hahahaha. I must say that your skill is quite impressive Paladin Anon. So I will submit to your terms of surrender.” He said.

“Okay then.” I said as I got off of his chest and removed the sword from his neck.

“I must say you are quite daft for being the pony’s best warrior.” Leonheart said before I felt a pain in my back. When I looked back I saw that one of Leonheart’s axes had a small coat of blood on it. “You really think I would give up that easily. I can tell you’ve been around ponies for too long, you all think that we would surrender to you. We wouldn’t this fight is meant to be to the death!”

At that little speech and the sudden revelation of this fight not ending until one of us was dead, one thing came to my mind. I had to kill Leonheart so that the minotaurs wouldn’t invade Equestria. “So this a fight to the death?” I said as I righted myself and calmed myself down.

As I looked behind me I saw that Celestia had made her way towards us probably thinking that the fight had ended when I knocked Leonheart on his butt. Upon closer inspection I could tell that she wore a look of worry for me.

I then held up a hand to her silently telling her not to come closer. At seeing this she gave me a nod. I was pulled from my duties of making sure Celestia didn’t get involved when Leonheart spoke up once more. “Yes this is a fight to the death. And you will die!”

At that he decided to charge at me with his horns like a bull. It was then I decided to show how agile I really was. As soon as he was close enough I jumped onto his head. Using the power of gravity, I slammed my foot into his head. This had the affect of sending his head crashing into the ground.

After a less than perfect landing no thanks to the giant cut in my back. I turned to see Leonheart trying to pull his head out of the small crater that he had made for himself. “Y’know if it wasn’t for the giant gash you gave me I would have probably cut your head off.” I said as I made my way over to the struggling minotaur.

As I got closer I realized that if I continued on my current path I’d be within bucking distance of his hooves. I then corrected my course by walking around his left side. “Now then last time are you going to surrender without incident or not?”

As I began to lift my sword to rest over the back of his neck, Leonheart let out a few intelligible grumbles. “Am I to take that as a yes or no?” Again another round of grumbles.

Before I could ask again I looked up to see that King Romulus had made his way over to us. “Well I’ll leave him with you.” I said making my way away from the minotaur duo.

“Where do you think you’re going? You still have to kill him!” Romulus said this got me to pause and look back at him.

“You want me to kill your best warrior? Why?”

“Because if you don’t I won’t agree to a treaty with your Princess.”

“Sorry King but I ain’t killing him. He’s a good fighter, probably one of the best you’re going to get. Don’t go throwing him away.” I said continuing to walk away from the king.

“We’re not done here Anon!” I heard the familiar voice of Leonheart call out from behind me.

As I turned I saw that Leonheart had managed to pull himself out of the ground, and he did not look happy. “What the hell! Why can’t you take a damn hint!” I yelled at him as I began to slowly lose my balance thanks to the blood loss.

“Because I ain’t quitting till either I’m dead or your dead.” He said gesturing between us with one of his axes. “Let me show you my special little trick!”

That was all I heard before I realized he had thrown one of his axes at me. ‘Aw buck.’ Was all I managed to think before I felt my body be overtaken by my last reserves of adrenaline fueled magic. Once the axe was close enough to me I reached out my magic and grasped it. But instead of stopping it in it’s tracks I decided to let its momentum keep going. Using its momentum, I spun it around my body so that it flew back at Leonheart.

After hearing a slick crack, I looked up to see that the axe had hit Leonheart in his right shoulder. “That all you got?” That were his last words before I decided to bring Alpha into play.

“Kill.” Was all I had to say to the floating skull as he let lose a magical blast that sent Leonheart flying. “He better be either dead or unconscious.” I said as I found myself wrapped in a golden aura.

“Anon are you alright?” Celestia asked as she got her healing spell to work its way into the wound in my back.

“Peachy.” I said before turning to look at Alpha. “If Leonheart isn’t dead and decides to make his way over here and harass Celestia, blast him into orbit.” After getting a nod from Alpha I turned back to look at Celestia. “Wake me up when it’s breakfast time okay.”

“Okay Anon.” As soon as I heard that I let my body succumb to the weariness that the fight had brought with it.
(Back to our regularly scheduled POV view of third-person.)
Location: Celestia’s study
Year: 985 years since Nightmare Moon

“And that’s basically what happened in the Minotaur Conflict.” Anon said to Twilight as she wrote down what he had said in a notebook she had pulled out halfway through the story.

“What about the treaty? Did King Romulus sign it?” Twilight asked as she finished writing down her notes.

“Don’t know wasn’t there. I was in the castle’s infirmary for about a week while my wounds healed themselves.”

“But yes he did sign the treaty Twilight.” Celestia said.

“Okay. Well thanks for the help Mr. Anon.” Twilight said before letting out a yawn.

“Twilight dear you wouldn’t mind staying here for the night would you?” Celestia asked as she only now noticed that she had set the sun.

“No not really. But if you don’t mind do you think you could send my parents a message?”

“Of course not.” Celestia said before summoning a scroll and ink pot and quill and wrote her parents a message before sending it off in a flash of light. A few seconds later a note arrived in her magical grip. After looking over the letter she turned back to Twilight. “They’re perfectly fine with you staying over.”

“Thanks Princess Celestia.” Twilight said as she beamed a large grin at Celestia. She then let out a loud yawn before collapsing in front of Celestia from tiredness.

“Heh.” Anon said letting out a slight chuckle. “If you don’t need me Celestia do I have permission to head back to my quarters for the night.”

“You may Anon.” Celestia said as he made his way out of the room.

A few hours later

‘Hmm that’s weird.’ Anon thought to himself as his slumber was disturbed by Alpha.

As Anon’s eye lit up a cyan blue he felt time freeze around him as he saw through Alpha’s vision five griffon’s in Celestia personal study.

Before Alpha could even ask Anon what to do Anon had teleported into the room.

“There she is boss.” One of the griffons said as he gestured to Celestia.

“Keep your voice down idiot. We don’t want to wake her up now do we.” A griffon with what seemed to be a patch of some sort on his assassin outfit.

“Sir she’s got a filly and what seems to be a baby dragon with her, what do we do about them?” The griffon from before asked.

“Well our contractor said no witnesses. So no witnesses.” The lead griffon said as he drew closer to the slumbering Celestia as he pulled out a knife.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” Anon said causing the griffons to pause and look around the room.

“Who’s there? Show yourself.” The lead griffon said to the shadows.

At this Anon decided to step out from his place in the shadows. “Who the hell are you?” One of the griffons asked as Anon slowly drew his sword.

“I’m the Captain of Princess Celestia’s personal guard. Who the hell are you?”

“We’re the one’s here to kill that bitch.” The lead griffon said as he took another step towards Celestia.

“Alpha you know where to take them.” Anon said as Alpha appeared above Celestia, Twilight and the sleeping dragon that Anon had found out to be named Spike. After a few seconds of collecting enough magical energy the three of them including Alpha were gone in a flash of cyan blue light.

“Where’d the hell you send them!?” The lead griffon yelled furious at losing his kill.

“Simple someplace safe.” Anon said as he made sure that Alpha had teleported the three into his room. “Now then before we do this little song and dance I’m going to give you the opportunity to surrender now. Any takers?” After a few seconds of waiting Anon decided he had waited long enough. “Fine then. Let’s begin!” He shouted before sprinting at them sword drawn and a fireball ready to sling.

A few minutes later

There was a knocking at the door to Celestia’s study. After a few seconds the doors to the room were opened an in walked five heavily armored guards along with Princess Celestia.

“Anon are you in here?” Celestia called out into the darkness of the room. She then decided to cast the shadows away with a simple light spell. When the room was illuminated she found Anon interrogating one of the griffons.

“Who the hell sent you?!” Anon yelled at the griffon as what seemed like tendrils of darkness slid up the griffon’s body.

“I don’t know none of us do!” The griffon cried out in fear before being dropped to the ground by Anon.

“Oh hello Princess Celestia, I do hope this little incident didn’t disturb your slumber.” Anon said as the five guards began to clean up the beaten, bloodied and bruised griffon assassins.

“No it didn’t but the surprising teleport sure did.” Celestia said before making sure that the guards had escorted the griffons out of the room and towards the dungeons. “Anon what was with that dark magic I just witnessed?”

“What the shadow tendrils?” Anon asked as Celestia gave him a nod. “Shadowmancy isn’t dark magic Tia, no magic is inherently dark or light and that applies to Shadowmancy.”

“Well then please explain what happened?”

After a few minutes of going over the incident Celestia held up a hoof to tell Anon to stop explaining it to her. “Alright. Well I must say I’m grateful for you saving me, Twilight and Spike’s lives.”

“All part of the job Tia.”

“Well then please go get some sleep Anon.” Celestia said as she made her way out of the room.

“Sorry Princess no can do. I got to figure out how those five got in here and who the hell hired them.”

“Alright but please do try to get some sleep Anon.” Celestia said before making her way down the hall. “Goodnight Paladin!” She called out back to him.

“Good night to you too Princess!” Anon called out as she rounded a corner. “Keep an eye on her okay Alpha.” With that said Alpha began to float down the hall after Celestia.

Author's Note:

Here you go a new chapter.

Now I must tell you all something. The next chapter will bring the story 15 years in the future a.k.a when Nightmare Moon returns.

Now for those of you wondering what about the griffons that tried to kill Celestia, Twilight and Spike. Well nothing happens that deserves it's own chapter. It will be brought up later down the line as to what happened after the failed assassination.

Anyway hope you all like this chapter.

Sincerely The7thElement