• Published 14th May 2016
  • 1,958 Views, 78 Comments

Dreams of the Heart - Dreadnought



An attack on Princess Luna leads to unexpected consequences for Equestria.

  • ...
4
 78
 1,958

Chapter 9: The Discussion

Author's Note:

Good Afternoon,

It's chapters like this that made me add the "Drama" tag. Hope you enjoy the chapter.

As I mentioned earlier, I will be without Internet access in July. I don't want to leave you hanging, so I will be publishing Chapter 10 a little earlier than planned. See you Monday!

Keep Writing,

Dreadnought

PART I: Shared Dreams
Chapter 9: The Discussion

A rooster crowed, rousing Big Mac up from his deep sleep. Poking his head out from beneath the covers, he opened his eyes. The subtle light enabled him to see the simple bedroom, yet smoothed the hard edges and softened the bright colors. Big Mac rolled over and gazed out his window. A warm reddish hazy hue hung at the horizon and the clouds reflected a beautiful mix of pinks grays. Slowly the eastern sky became brighter until finally the first rays of yellow sunlight broke over the hills, announcing an end to night. An end to a beautiful night.

Big Mac climbed out of bed. For the second time in a week he had slept in. Well, compared to the rest of Ponyville, he was still an early riser. But for an Apple, he had slept in. He stood there, motionless, reflecting on the situation. He felt good, very good. He felt full of energy and vigor. Well, he did just get an extra good night’s sleep after all. But that wasn’t quite it. Life seemed different. It seemed brighter, happier. He felt as light as a feather. He couldn’t put a hoof on it. It was more than feeling well rested, for he often slept well. Perhaps, it was something he dreamed? He thought for a moment. All he could remember was something about The Ponytones performing, but not much else. Whatever it was, Big Mac felt as though he was seeing the life in a whole new light with the world spread out before him.

Big Mac effortlessly walked down the hall and descended the stairs. Even they groaned less under his weight. Turning left, Big Mac entered the kitchen. Again Applejack had beaten him there and was finishing preparing breakfast. Normally he would have been bothered by not contributing, but his emotional high would not let him.

“Mornin’ Big Mac,” said Applejack.

“Good mornin’ Applejack,” responded Big Mac.

His three word reply caught Applejack completely off guard. “Well, ya seem in a good mood this mornin’.”

“Ah am.” Big Mac sat down at the table, without his usual cup of coffee. He didn’t need it. No, he didn’t want it. Coffee made him feel happy, but he didn’t want anything to affect his current feeling of elation.

“Breakfast is ready!” called Applejack. She turned to see Big Mac sitting without a cup of coffee. First his talkative nature, now this? Something was definitely up.

“Mornin’ y’all,” said Granny Smith as she came slowly into the kitchen.

“Good mornin’ granny,” replied Big Mac.

Applejack felt a little taken aback. Normally she always spoke first, yet Big Mac beat her to the punch.

“Mornin’ everypony,” announced Apple Bloom as she trotted in.

First Big Mac, now Apple Bloom? This day was shaping up to be very strange indeed. “Mornin’ Apple Bloom, mornin’ granny.”

The three ponies sat at the table and Applejack came over. She divied up the scrambled eggs amongst the four of them. Apple Bloom passed the toast as Big Mac poured the apple juice. Shortly all began to eat. Finally Applejack turned to Big Mac. “So Big Mac, why ya in such a good mood this mornin’?”

“Don’t know. Just am.”

“Sleep well?”

“Eeyup.”

“Ya should have, second time in a week ya slept in.”

“Eeyup.”

“Any good dreams?”

“Don’t know. Don’t really remember ma dreams too much.”

“What are ya two goin’ on ’bout?” asked Granny Smith.

“Big Mac’s in a really good mood this mornin’” answered Applejack.

“Eeyup.”

“So what?” retorted Granny Smith.

“Ah was just wonderin’ why,” responded Applejack.

“Well, sometimes folks are just in a good mood. No rhyme or reason for it,” said Granny Smith, dispensing with the wisdom as she often did. The family returned to their breakfast.

“Applejack?” began Apple Bloom.

“Yes sugarcube?”

“Remember, me and the Crusaders are goin’ over to Twilight’s after school.”

“Ah, I almost forgot.”

“Twilight will be showin’ Sweetie Bell some new spells and helpin' Scootaloo repair a bike and ah’m workin’ on some new potions.”

“Well, y’all be careful. Don’t want to hear ’bout no accidents.”

“Yeah sis.” After a pause, Apple Bloom turned to Big Mac. “So, did you hear if Luna got your basket of apples?”

“Princess Luna to you,” corrected Applejack.

“Nnope.”

“Well, should you write her an’ ask?”

“She’s pretty busy. Raisin’ the moon, visitin’ dreams, runnin’ the country. Don’t want to bother her.”

“Yes Apple Bloom, she is a princess. Can’t expect her to write back for every gift she gets,” added Applejack.

“Ah guess so,” said a sullen Apple Bloom. Applejack could tell what was running through that filly’s head. She still thought Big Mac and Luna should get together. Well, eventually that would wear off. Applejack was just thankful she only heard small talk about the dinner, nothing major beyond that. She wanted to avoid gossip engulfing the town. Last time things got quite out of hoof.

“Don’t y’all have a test today?” asked Applejack, hoping to take Apple Bloom's mind off the nonexistent relationship.

“Yeah, a history test. It’s on early Equestrian history….”

Big Mac continued to listen to his family converse, interjecting on several occasions. He was in a good mood, and he was spreading it around.

***

Big Mac pulled the plow through the fields. Even the tiring work of pulling that old rusty plow seemed easier, almost effortless. Applejack went to town to sell the family’s apples, leaving Big Mac alone to work at Sweet Apple Acres. But he didn’t mind. He paused at the end of the row and looked up. Celestia’s brilliant sun shone brightly overhead, yet he didn’t feel hot. A light breeze blew, slowly caressing him, the smell of apples in the air. What a beautiful day! He turned to start the next row, not noticing five tiny black specks in the sky.

Big Mac plowed onwards. He could feel the ground briefly compacting before the prow, then breaking and crumbling before parting to either side. His hoofs pressed down into the black earth. He was a farmer, like the Apples before him. He knew his place in the world. He felt at peace.

He reached the end of another row. At this pace, he would be done in record time. Applejack wouldn’t believe it! He pulled the plow around and prepared for another pass. Four pegasi took positions around the perimeter of the field. But something else fixed Big Mac’s attention. Coming in for an effortless landing was Princess Luna, stirring up only the tiniest amount of dust as she gently touched down. What was she doing here? Perhaps she got his basket of apples?

“Good morning Luna,” he began.

“Yes, good morning Big McIntosh,” said Luna, obviously a little distracted.

“What brings ya to Sweet Apple Acres? Shouldn’t ya be in bed sleepin’?”

“Yes, well, I came to talk with you.” She seemed uneasy, hesitant.

“Ya can talk to me ’bout anythin’,” encouraged Big Mac.

“It –, it is about last night.”

“’Bout last night?” A confused look fell upon Big Mac’s face.

“About your dream,” clarified Luna.

“Ma dream?” asked Big Mac. Surely the Princess of the Night hadn't come all the way to Ponyville to talk to him about a dream?

“You don't remember?”

Big Mac paused. He really couldn’t remember his dream too well. It lay in his mind shrouded in haze. He recalled the four Ponytones performing on stage. A large crowd in front of them greeted them with cheers and exaltation. This occurred during some sort of town festival. Could there be more? He stared at Princess Luna, standing nervously in front of him. Was she here only for that? No, there had to be another reason. He gazed at Princess Luna. She stood before him, her mane flowing gently to her side. He peered deeply into her blue eyes. Slowly, a crack developed, letting in rays of light. The haze began to part, the shadowy thoughts illuminated, and the dream came into focus. The Ponytones performed on stage. And yet he was sitting in the crowd watching them, Princess Luna by his side. She enjoyed the songs sung by the Ponytones. He wrapped his foreleg around her, and then he pulled her close to him and they –.

A burst of shock passed through Big Mac, quickly followed by a wave of guilt and shame breaking upon rocks of fear. “That – that was you?!” the words stumbling out of his mouth.

“Yes,” Luna said in a low, soft voice.

Big Mac couldn’t restrain himself. “Ah’m so sorry ’bout that Princess. Ah didn’t know what ah was doin’. I didn’t mean to kiss –.”

A gentle hoof pressed on his mouth preventing him from talking. Never before in his life had a pony stopped him from speaking, not that he had given them much chance. Luna gave him a reassuring smile and lowered her hoof. “You need not apologize. It was I who intruded upon your dream.”

Big Mac stammered. “Well, ah don’t know what happened. Ah don’t have feelin's fer ya like that.”

Luna took a deep breath. “During the day, we are guided by logic, reason. We build mental walls for protection and hide our true selves behind them. But when we go to sleep, those defenses disappear. Dreams are a window to the heart, Big Mac. It is an open range, free from all constraints. Our dreams express our true feelings...joy, fear, sorrow...love.”

Love? He in love with Luna? No, the thought had never crossed his mind. She couldn’t be right. “But ah don’t love ya.”

“Dreams do not lie Big Mac. Whether you admit it or even know it, you do have feelings for me.”

The two stared at each other for a long time, letting the weight of the revelation sink in. Luna felt she should let Big Mac speak, after giving him time to process the information. Finally, with great trouble, he asked “Where does that leave us?”

Luna looked into his eyes. She saw a mix of sadness and pain, but mostly resignation. She chose her words carefully. “Big Mac, I do not share your love, but I do share your friendship.” Big Mac gave a weak smile. “Possibly I can take you up on your offer of a conversation between friends?”

“Ee-yup” he murmured, the pain in his eyes receding just a bit.

She looked at him, still hitched to the plow, standing in the fields. “Perhaps we could take a walk?” she suggested.

“Eeyup.” Big Mac unhitched himself, and led Luna to one of the paths that wandered through the apple orchards. Four pegasus guards rose into the sky and circled above the two friends.