• Published 14th May 2016
  • 1,954 Views, 78 Comments

Dreams of the Heart - Dreadnought



An attack on Princess Luna leads to unexpected consequences for Equestria.

  • ...
4
 78
 1,954

Chapter 8: Sweet Dreams

PART I: Shared Dreams
Chapter 8: Sweet Dreams

A mass under the covers began to stir. Luna woke up. Opening her eyes, she could see the red curtains backlit by the late afternoon sun. Oh, how she wanted to pull the covers over her head, to return to her interrupted slumber! But there was work to be done. It was her royal duty to raise the moon, to guard pony’s dreams, to reign over Equestria. Time waited for no princess. Slowly Luna removed the warm, comforting blankets and stepped onto the floor. She felt tired, very tired. It had been two days since her departure from Ponyville, and she still had yet to return to her old sleep schedule. Her time at the hospital made her a pony of the day, like Celestia and most of Equestria. It would take time to become nocturnal again. She loved the night, but the night stood in the way of her return to that soft, warm bed.

For a while Princess Luna stood aimlessly, too tired to move. She breathed slowly, deliberately. She remained unfocused, indifferent to her surroundings. The beautifully decorated and appointed bedroom slipped into the background and became imperceptible to her. The overwhelming fatigue weighed upon her like a heavy suit of armor. Her mind numb from weariness, Luna just passed through the moment.

Finally she realized that she needed something to get her through her nightly duties. Sluggishly she walked across her bedroom and over to the chamber door. She stood there for a moment, trying to concentrate. Unable to focus her magic, she used her hoof to turn the knob and open the door. She stepped through the doorway and trudged down the long dark hallway, then another, knowing all too well the pain that awaited her. Reaching a closed door, she paused for a moment to build up her strength, bracing for what was about to come. Finally she flung open the door.

Princess Luna stood there bathed in golden sunshine, the bright light blinding her. This part of the castle was not kept dark, but possessed numerous windows streaming the late afternoon sun. The light drained her tired body of what little energy remained. Princess Luna wanted to turn around, to retreat to the soothing twilight of her chamber. No! Such torment must be endured if she was to get that prize most coveted. She pressed onward.

Princess Luna only vaguely perceived her surroundings through her dim sight. Instead she followed what her hazy memory could recall. On she walked in a daze, toward that distant prize. She went up and down sweeping staircases. She walked across long elaborate halls and traversed opulent corridors. She passed through many of the castle’s richly decorated rooms. Onward she trekked, not to be denied her prize!

At last Princess Luna arrived at the dinette, where she and her sister shared informal meals together. Shortly they would enjoy breakfast, or as Celestia insisted dinner – the two long had a friendly banter over the proper term. Princess Luna sat down at the small table and quickly one of the staff approached. She recognized him, or so she thought. She was too tired to think straight. “Good afternoon your highness. Will you be dining alone?”

“No, we came for the coffee” – yawn – “to wake us up. We will still be dining with my sister.”

“One cup of coffee right away your highness.” The staff member departed into the kitchen. Princess Luna sat there, waging a losing battle against her fatigue. She knew a little caffeine boost would give her the edge to win the day, or night in her case. Again she yawned, her eyes growing heavy. The pony returned with a steaming cup of coffee. “Hot coffee, your highness. May I get you anything else?”

“No. Thank you.” With that he departed for the kitchen.

Princess Luna gazed down into the steaming black liquid. Normally she would add sugar and cream, but she needed coffee now! Lifting the cup to her lips, she drank that life-giving liquid, feeling it flow down her throat and warm her insides. Within moments the cup was empty. She sat there, staring at her cup and yet feeling strangely unsatisfied. “Um–, um–” she said, trying to recall his name. He attentively walked into the room. “Sir, another cup.”

A smile cracked his face. Perhaps he wasn’t used to a princess calling him Sir? She wasn’t sure. “Yes your highness,” he said before disappearing into the kitchen once more. Briskly he returned with a another cup.

Princess Luna looked down her second cup, and again it quickly vanished. But for a second time, she felt dissatisfied. Something was amiss. “Sir?” she called out.

“Yes your highness?”

“There is something wrong with the coffee.”

“Something wrong?”

“Yes, it” – yawn – “is not giving us the energy we desire.”

“I can bring out the executive chef if you would like.”

“Yes, please send him out.”

“Right away your highness.”

After a few moments the castle’s executive chef appeared with a concerned look on his face. “Is something wrong your highness?”

Yawn – “Yes, this coffee does not provide – how do they say it? – the buzz.”

The worried expression quickly faded as a look of understanding filled his face. “Yes your highness, you are drinking decaffeinated coffee.”

Decaffeinated coffee?” said Princess Luna incredulously.

“Yes your highness.”

“Please get us some” – yawn – “caffeinated coffee.”

“I’m afraid we do not have any.”

Confusion and alarm swept over the princess. “You do not have any?”

“None your highness.”

None?”

“Yes your highness. By order of Princess Celestia we now only serve decaffeinated coffee. We no longer have any regular coffee.”

She was at the receiving end of another of Celestia’s pranks! Celestia would pay for this! Princess Luna stood up from the table. “We shall see about that!” boomed Princess Luna as she stormed out of the dinette.

***

A dark gray pony galloped down the long corridor Past pictures painted by old masters and ancient tapestries and marble busts of yore he ran. Fire shone in his eyes. He was a pony on a mission. He would not be denied.

The pony was in search of Princess Luna. He had traversed most of the castle looking for her – the darkened Night Wing, the governmental offices, the Royal Library, the Grand Hall, the Royal Theater, the Drawing Room, the Royal Archives, the Conservatory, the Armory, the laundry rooms, the Dinette, the supply and store rooms. It seemed everywhere he went ponies reported seeing the princess, yet none knew her destination or present location. Her path crisscrossed and double backed numerous times. He knew of her penchant for pranks, Princess Celestia sometimes complaining of Princess Luna’s unprovoked antics. Perhaps Princess Luna knew he was looking for him and was playing a game of cat and mouse? Whatever the reason, he hoped his latest tip would prove true.

The pony slowed as he reached his destination. Quickly gathering his composure, he stepped through the doorway. And then he saw her. Princess Luna sat in the staff room drinking from an old dirty mug, a half empty pot of coffee on the table in front of her. When she spotted him, she placed the coffee cup down, revealing a strange, satisfied smile across her face. “Good afternoon your highness,” he began.

“Good afternoon Dinst. Is somepony looking for me?”

“Yes your highness, I have been searching the castle for you.”

“Have you?” She gave a small chuckle. “I have been searching the castle for coffee.”

“Princess?”

“It seems my sister has replaced the coffee served by the kitchens with the decaffeinated dreck. But I knew there had to be some pleasing coffee somewhere in the castle.”

“Ah – yes princess.”

“Did you know about this?” she said, with a slight hint of an anger.

“No princess, though I know Princess Celestia talks about the pranks you instigate.” Instantly he knew he had stepped in it and would feel her wrath.

“That I instigate? Is that what she is saying? No, she always initiates the strife.”

“Yes your highness,” said Dinst, relieved that his careless remark had not set off Princess Luna’s well known temper.

“You said that you were looking for me?”

“Yes Princess. We have received a special delivery for you.”

“For me?”

“Yes princess, it came in late this afternoon.”

“Very well,” she said, getting up from the table. “Lead on.”

***

Princess Luna and Dinst walked into the mailroom. She gave a startled reaction when she observed the special delivery awaiting her. On the table rested a enormous wicker basket brimming with large, red apples. The look of surprise on her face transitioned to one of pleasant confusion. Using her magic she pulled out the card and levitated it in front of her face. It read:

Dear Luna,

Thank you for dinner. I had a real nice time.

Big Mac

Now Princess Luna’s mood swung to one of exasperation. Luna had taken Big Mac to dinner to thank him for saving her life. Now he was thanking her for thanking him? He did not need to do that. Even if he felt he must, a simple card would have sufficed. He need not have sent a huge basket of apples. Not that she didn’t appreciate the gesture. But he missed the point entirely.

She decided she needed to speak with him. However, it would be late in the evening before she arrived at Ponyville, and she knew the Apples tended to turn in early. And she faced piles of back paperwork from her time in the hospital. But a visit that night to his dreams would work perfectly. She need not worry about keeping him up, and slipping in and out of a dream would only take a few minutes.

DONG! Princess Luna looked up to the wall clock and saw the time. She turned to Dinst, “I am late for breakfast with my sister. Thank you very much for letting me know of this delivery.”

“Yes Princess Luna.”

Princess Luna left the room and headed for the dinette. She would address Big Mac later, but first she must speak with Celestia about the wretched coffee being served!

***

Princess Luna sat in her meditation room. Located in her office suite, the purpose-built sanctuary provided her the perfect place to conduct her overwatch of ponies’ dreams. Large windows afforded uninterrupted views of the moon as it arced high into the sky and then dipped to the horizon. Bright moonlight flooded the room, creating a very relaxing atmosphere. Large luxurious cushions and pillows covered the floor, furnishing comfortable seating, and heavy soundproofing ensured unbroken concentration. Princess Luna began to focus, not noticing the white light radiating from the tip of her horn that quickly engulfed the room….

Princess Luna stood in the dreamscape, that amorphous imaginary domain that only she could access. The realm did not contain the dreams; rather the dreams themselves made up the surreal expanse. The very size and texture of the dreamscape depended on the number and types of dreams ponies experienced. The fabric of space stretched and twisted as ponies passed in and out of sleep. Sweet dreams and nightmares sent waves throughout the dreamscape – waves that reflected, refracted, amplified, and canceled each other while simultaneously passing through and reacting with the dreams. The dreamscape remained forever in flux, forever changing, forever echoing the dreamers themselves.

Princess Luna concentrated and instantly two lines of doors appeared, running to infinity in either direction. She focused and the doors began to fly by her. So many ponies, so many dreams, so many doors. The doors came to a sudden stop. In front of her stood a large, red door with a green apple in the center. Instinctively Princess Luna knew that this door would lead to Big Mac’s dream. With just a thought the door opened and she stepped through….

Luna stood in the Town Square of Ponyville. She admired the beautiful dream that lay before her. The town was celebrating some sort of festival. Ponies of all types and ages and classes milled about. Games of chance lined the square, their prizes conspicuously displayed for all to see. Food stands filled the air with smells of funnel cakes, popcorn, and cotton candy. Hanging from trees and buildings and overhead cables, dozens of lanterns lit the whole square. Above a full moon shone brightly, but still one could easily make out all the constellations of the night sky.

Luna looked around, but could not find Big Mac. She saw many ponies, some she knew instantly and some possessed only the faintest familiarity; Luna had much work ahead of her before she could recognize every pony in Equestria. Off in a corner Luna spied an apple stand. Perhaps he could be found selling the family's fares at the festival? Luna trotted over, but the only employee was an eager Applejack, a large pile of bits on a table behind her.

Luna turned around. At the other end of the square stood a large stage. Spreading out before it lay a rainbow sea of ponies. Maybe he wanted to see the show? Luna walked over to the crowd and keenly scanned the mass. There must have been hundreds of ponies, most sitting on blankets laid out upon the ground. In back stood a number of ponies, including a yellow pegasus trying to blend in with the crowd. Even in Big Mac’s dreams Fluttershy tried not to draw attention to herself. Again Luna examined the mass of ponies. Way up front sat a familiar group – Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Spike, Sweetie Bell, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom. Obviously they arrived extra early to ensure good seating. Moving along Luna noticed a cheerful Matilda and an unhappy Cranky. No surprise there. Back to searching. Stallions, mares, colts, fillies. There! In the center sat Big Mac, apparently by himself.

Carefully Luna maneuvered through the crowd. She could easily fly over to him, but she did not want to create a scene that would distract from the dream. She only needed to speak with him for a few minutes. Cautiously she stepped around and through groups of ponies, once or twice accidentally stepping on some tails. Finally she edged her way to Big Mac. He sat on an old blanket, with plenty of room for another pony. Luna sat down next to him. “Hello, Big Mac,” she began.

“Hello Luna,” he responded. “Glad ya could make it.”

“That I could make it?”

“Ya said ya wanted to see the show.”

“Yes,” replied Luna, somewhat puzzled. “I wanted to talk with you about –.”

“Mares and gentlecolts. It is now time for our headlining act. You all know them and their music, so without further ado, I give you – The Ponytones!” The announcer pointed his hoof to the right.

Cheers burst from the crowd. Luna looked up to the stage. Out walked Toe-Tapper, Torch Song, Rarity and Big McIntosh! Luna looked to her left and saw Big Mac still sitting next to her. She looked back up on stage and saw the four Ponytones. Again she glanced back and saw Big Mac sitting next to her.

Slowly Luna came to a realization. Big Mac was experiencing one of those dreams where a pony witnesses themselves from a distance. Luna had seen this before, but only on a rare occasion. In most dreams, ponies experienced the events first hand. But which one was the real, or dreaming, Big Mac? Luna studied the situation for a moment. It must be the one sitting next to her. Big Mac knew Luna wanted to see the quartet perform. How, then, could he enjoy her company if he performed onstage?

Rarity levitated a small harmonica and played a note. Big McIntosh (the one onstage) began to sing, and then the other three chimed in:

Bum, bum, bum-ba-da, ba-da

Bum, bum, bum-ba-da ah

Bum, bum, bum-ba-da, ba-da

Bum, bum, bum-ba-da ah...

Luna never before heard this song, but somehow it playing in Big Mac’s dream made it feel familiar. Luna’s tail swished in sync with the song, its beautiful melody and delightful lyrics complementing each other perfectly. Finally the song ended and cheers and applause erupted from the crowd.

Rarity stepped forward. “Thank you Ponyville for coming and making this a night to remember.” Again cheers surged from the audience. “We have received a very special request meant for a member of tonight’s audience –.” The spotlight swung around and fell upon Luna. “–Princess Luna.”

Shock, confusion, anxiety, apprehension – all swirled within Luna. What was going on? She had slipped into Big Mac’s dream, but made every attempt to be discreet. Now she found herself the center of attention. How? Why? What was going on?

Big McIntosh stepped in front of the three other Ponytones. The crowd quieted. Slowly he began to sing. Luna shook herself from the momentary shock and tried to listen to the song. But this song contrasted from the last. Whereas the previous song was bubbly and lighthearted, this one, though still positive, had a different tone:

I once saw nothing, but the dark

Now I see your face.

I once was lost, but now am found,

In your warm embrace....

The song was – a love song! It was a love song to her! Luna felt weight on her shoulder a looked to see Big Mac’s foreleg gently embracing her. He was holding her!? He had dedicated the song to her!

Big McIntosh held the final note, and then momentary silence. Cheers erupted from the crowd. Luna turned to Big Mac to ask him about the song when she found his face against hers, their lips intertwined. They were kissing! Big Mac was kissing her!

Author's Note:

Good Morning,

Nobody got the movie quote. :fluttershysad: Maybe sometime if somebody rereads Chapter 7, they'll find the line. Oh well. on to my thoughts for this chapter....

Another fun chapter to write. Lots of fan fiction involves a Celestial/Luna prank war, so I thought I'd include my own little twist here. Also, writing of the dreamscape was a little challenging, as it has few appearances in the franchise thus far. And song lyrics. I'm not a poet, so writing what limited lyrics I have was a real pain.

Actually this chapter was inspired by a personal experience. I don't know if any of you have had a dream like that, but I once watched myself do something in a dream. For the life of me I can't recall what I was doing.

So, I know what you're asking: What's the fallout from this? Well, you'll just have to find out next week. Same pony channel, same pony time!

Dreadnought