• Published 14th May 2016
  • 1,958 Views, 78 Comments

Dreams of the Heart - Dreadnought



An attack on Princess Luna leads to unexpected consequences for Equestria.

  • ...
4
 78
 1,958

Chapter 6: The Dinner

PART I: Shared Dreams
Chapter 6: The Dinner

Big Mac trotted towards Ponyville. The evening gave him an increased sense of vigor. Cool air filled his lungs. A light breeze blew softly through the orchards, wisping gently around him. The sounds of wildlife died down and a quiet descended upon the land, broken only by the subtle rustle of the wind through the trees. In the west Celestia’s sun, the blazing sphere of light, dipped below the horizon. The bright yellows and oranges of day slowly yielded to the calming blues and grays of night. Off in the east a waxing moon ascended into the sky. Big Mac suddenly realized why Luna selected seven for their dinner. She needed to set the night into motion, to begin the graceful choreography that saw the moon and the stars dance across the sky. But perhaps, Big Mac thought deep inside, perhaps she wanted to show him the beautiful night she created, a night that would not be without him.

Big Mac entered town. It stood in stark contrast to earlier that day. Darkness enveloped the town, punctuated only by the occasional streetlamp or lit window of the homes along the streets. The brightly colored buildings lost their luster and became mere shapes set against the dark background. The shops sat closed, the stalls of the market empty. The soft moonlight made plain the empty streets.

Big Mac reached the Town Square shortly before seven. A few ponies wandered about, heading home after a long day of work, or going out to eat with a special somepony. Big Mac looked around but could not find Princess Luna. Well, it wasn’t quite seven yet. He stood there, waiting. He looked up at the night sky and admired its beauty….

***

Princess Luna flew towards Ponyville, her guards following close behind. She saw the town clock in the distance and observed that it was just before seven. She gazed down at the town and noticed how different it looked. Though colorful and bright during the day, now the town became a magical night scene. Subtle grays and blacks blended together, removing hard edges and creating a gently blurring scene. Moonlight and shadows seemed to dance together. Areas of town lacked this delicate beauty, with streetlamps and illuminated windows piercing the dark. She remembered it was such insensitivity to the night that had infuriated her once before, but perhaps there were some who took comfort in the night, who admired the night for its beauty.

Luna descended as she approached her destination. A few ponies moved about here and there, some hurrying to their destination, others not, but none lingering in the night. As Luna neared the Town Square, she saw a single pony standing, staring up into the night sky. Luna could not see the face but presumed it was Big Mac. To be sure, Luna circled around in front of the large pony. Luna looked down and Big Mac gazed back.

Luna swooped down and came to a graceful stop mere yards from Big Mac. Her three Night Guards circled above, scanning the surroundings for any potential threats. As Luna approached Big Mac, he bowed. “Good evening Princess Luna.”

“Please, let us dispense with formalities. Call me Luna, Big Mac” she insisted, emphasizing his name to make her point.

He smiled a little, especially after she called him Big Mac. “Luna.” The name came so easily, in spite of the fact that such casualness almost seemed scandalous.

“Well, should we proceed to dinner?”

“Eeyup. There’s a ‘right many places in town with good food. The Hay Burger has burgers an’ fries and the café has good dinners.”

Luna paused for a moment. As this dinner was meant to thank him, perhaps she should let him decide where they ate? No, Luna thought. It was hard enough to convince him to accept a dinner; she didn’t want him to feel like he had to choose the cheapest place in town. She could afford to take him somewhere nice, so why not take him to the best place in town? Did he deserve any less?

“Rarity suggested we dine at The Upper Crust.”

Big Mac hesitated. He heard they had really good, really fancy meals…with prices to match. He didn’t need anything fancy or expensive. After all, she didn’t owe him anything. “Ah don’t need anythin’ like that. That place is mighty expensive.”

Had Big Mac said anything else, Luna might have let him off the hook. But money was no object. He had saved her life. She was bound and determined that he would get the best, and the best he would have.

“We will dine at The Upper Crust this evening, Big Mac,” Luna said, striving to make her pronouncement sound less like a bombastic royal decree and more like a confident assertion among friends.

Big Mac knew that Princess Luna could be stubborn, a somewhat endearing quality that she shared with Applejack. He had relented to dinner, perhaps it was only right to let her choose the venue. “Eeyup,” he replied.

The two ponies trotted off, Big Mac leading the way. It wasn’t hard to find, located a block away on the main street of town. Some ponies wondered why the owners chose a location other than the Town Square, considered the best real estate in town. Rumor had it the owners were concerned the numerous loud events held in the square would disturb the elegant ambiance of their establishment.

Big Mac and Luna arrived at the main entrance of the restaurant. The two story building stood there, bright lamps fronting the door to welcome patrons. The building itself lacked the decorative features and colorful paint schemes of most buildings in town, its elegance derived from its understated exterior.

Big Mac reached for the door. Luna asked, “Would you go in and reserve us a table? I must confer with my guards about their postings.”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac opened the door and stepped in, hearing Luna call for her security detail as the door closed behind him.

Though plain looking on the outside, the interior felt like a world away. Big Mac stood in the foyer. Panels of expensive and rare woods lined the walls. Two richly carved columns flanked the entrance to the dinning room. Fine carpets with intricate patterns covered the floors. Drifting through the air came the soft graceful melody of a violin.

“Can I help you?” asked the maitre d’ of the restaurant, snapping Big Mac out of his trance. The pony, a white stallion with a slicked back black mane, wore a black tuxedo jacket, white shirt, with a black bowe tie. Big Mac could detect a slight condescending tone to his voice and the pony seemed to be eyeing over the big red stallion in front of him.

“Ah would like a table for two” stated Big Mac.

“Yes, do you have a reservation?” the condescending undertone growing more pronounced.

“Ah, nnope.” Big Mac hadn’t made a reservation. In fact, he didn’t know he was coming here until a few minutes ago.

“Well, we are full this evening.” The door opened behind Big Mac. “You could make a reservation for-”

The pony stopped as Princess Luna walked up next to Big Mac. Turning to Big Mac, she asked “Did you get us a table?”

Big Mac was about to answer when the maitre d’ stated “Oh yes your highness. Right this way.” He walked between the two columns into the dining room.

“Ah thought you said you were full?” asked Big Mac.

The maitre d’ ignored Big Mac's concerns. "Of course we have a table, if you will follow me your highness.”

It must be good to be royalty thought Big Mac, chuckling to himself.

Luna and Big Mac followed the host to the table. A fine white linen table cloth draped the small, circular table. Each place was precisely set, with polished silverware surrounding the plate, which sported a decoratively folded napkin. A lit candle lay at the center of the table, a small wreath surrounding the base of the candlestick. Curiously, the table was set for three.

The staff pulled back the chairs and the two sat down. In an instant the staff removed the third place setting and the extra chair. Big Mac marveled at the restaurant, its reputation for sophistication well deserved.

For the first time, Big Mac managed to take a good look at Prin, -er, Luna. She appeared much as she did this morning, though somehow better. Her dark coat possessed a pleasant sheen, giving Luna an alluring glow. Her mane and tail, glittering with tiny stars, gently waved in an imaginary breeze. Even her demeanor had changed. She seemed more relaxed, and yet more confident.

Luna also took this opportunity to look over her dining partner. His appearance was a far cry from earlier in the day. He no longer wore his usual horse collar, instead replaced by a white collar and simple green tie. Gone were the stains of dirt and sweat from plowing the fields. His orange mane and tail were carefully combed.

Hardly a moment passed before a server came by and filled each of their glasses with ice water. Another waiter came and handed each their menus. Big Mac opened the menu and looked at the selections. It was not nearly as expensive as he feared. Tomato bruschetta…20 bits. Ricotta spinach salad…28 bits. Fresh garden salad…22 bits. Cup of wild mushroom soup…15 bits. Wait. Big Mac suddenly realized he was looking at the appetizers. Apprehensively Big Mac turned the page and sat stunned as he saw the entrees.

Luna perused the menu. She could clearly see the influence of Canterlot. Many of the dishes were served in the capital or featured a local twist to the classic recipe. The nobles of Canterlot would feel at home in The Upper Crust, though they would never dare venture to Ponyville. All of the rich dishes were far different than the simple fare she had grown accustomed to in Ponyville Hospital.

A waiter arrived at their table. “May I get your highness something to drink?”

“Water is fine for me” Luna responded.

“And for you sir?”

Sir? Big Mac had never been called Sir before. “Ah’m fine with water as well.”

The waiter, obviously miffed by their refusal, asked “May I get you two an appetizer?”

“No thank you” responded Big Mac. The entrees were expensive enough, he didn’t need anything else.

Luna studied Big Mac for a moment. He was a large pony, larger than most, just about her size. He had been plowing when they met, and, based on the number of fields at Sweet Apple Acres, she hazarded that he worked the fields most of the day. Unless he ate before they met in the Town Square, he had to be extremely hungry. Yet he refused to order anything thus far. He must be refraining, falling back to the simple modesty that led to this dinner. Big Mac was far different than the Canterlot elite, his humility an endearing quality she wished they would learn. But this was no place for that virtue. She wanted to show him a good time, for this to be a special meal.

Luna browsed through the menu. “Yes, two orders of tomato bruschetta.”

“Yes your highness, right away.” The waiter rushed off to the kitchen.

Two orders? Big Mac looked at Luna. She was about his size, a trait uncommon among most ponies in town and one that eased the trepidation of having a meal with the sovereign of Equestria. Just the two of them.

Luna returned to her menu. But something out of the corner of her eye caught her attention. Discreetly Luna gauged her fellow patrons. They seemed preoccupied with something. Luna noticed that most were staring at her table. Her ears automatically tuned to the hushed exchanges, and she realized that she and her companion were the only topic of conversation. Suddenly she felt the weight of dozens of eyes upon her. Back to the menu. What to order? But she continued to hear bits of the conversations around her, still she sensed the stares, the unending judging. What was she hungry for? Did pasta sound good? Still the patrons continued to gawk, to jeer. Would this turn into another Nightmare Night? Luna began to breathe a little faster.

The waiter returned to the table. “Your highness, have you selected something for dinner?”

Luna looked up at him, waiting to take her order. Actually, she hadn’t focused on the menu, she was too distracted. She was on public display for all to see. But she must make up her mind, and quick. Luna scanned the menu. “I’ll have –” oh she didn’t know what to get. “I’ll have the faux gras.”

“Excellent choice your highness. And for your salad dressing?”

“Ah – blue cheese.”

“Yes your highness. And for you sir?”

“I’ll have the wild mushroom pasta.”

“Yes, and for your salad?”

“Ranch.”

“Yes, right away.” He took Big Mac’s menu, and turned to the princess. She sat there, distracted. “Your highness, are you done with your menu?”

Luna snapped back to the moment. “Oh yes” she said as she handed him the menu.

Still the voices continued. Luna shifted uneasily in her seat. She tried to distract herself by making conversation with Big Mac. Unfortunately he answered most of her questions with a simple “eeyup” or “nnope.” Her insides twisted and turned. She sat there, under a blinding spotlight. Oh what she wouldn’t give to be out in the night, to slip into the obscurity of the dark! Still she struggled to carry on a conversation. Why wouldn’t he speak? Why did she have to do all the talking? More whispers, more stares. Her breathing became faster, her heart raced. With each passing moment the roomed felt warmer and warmer. She thought she might loose it. Luna remembered Celestia telling her of Twilight’s panic attack, how it caused a riot in town. Only Spike’s letter and a visit from Celestia saved Ponyville from total anarchy.

“Luna?” She could hear a few quiet gasps from the other tables. “Is something wrong?”

Big Mac had interrupted her. But honestly, she couldn’t tell what she was carrying on about. She shook her head no, that everything was alright.

“Somethin’s eatin’ at you.”

At first, she thought of lying that nothing was a matter. But Luna could tell her inner turmoil had risen to the surface and her denial would only make things worse. Luna’s confidence, so infinite earlier, was gone. “I – uh, I – uh.” Luna took a deep breath, and leaned over the table. Big Mac leaned forward as well. Luna whispered into his ear “All the other patrons are staring at us.”

Without thinking, Big Mac immediately turned to look at the other tables. The customers fell silent and looked away. She was right, they were the center of attention. Big Mac turned back and gazed across the table. Big Mac couldn’t believe what he saw. He had never seen Luna so unnerved before. Could this truly be bothering her? Wasn’t she used to the attention as a princess?

“Your bruschetta, your highness.” Two plates with tomato bruschetta were laid in front of the princess. Luna couldn’t say anything.

Big Mac turned to the waiter. “The princess would like a table that’s a bit more private.” Granted she hadn’t said that, but he couldn’t endure seeing her in pain like that. And besides, the Princess Luna’s wishes carried far more weight than Big Mac’s.

The waiter glanced over to Luna, who didn’t say anything. “Oh yes, let me see what I can do your highness” he said before quickly departing for the back.

Big Mac leaned towards Luna, his voice a whisper. “Ah think a private table would be best.” Luna nodded in agreement.

Slowly the whispers and hushed voices returned. Luna prayed that they would get a private table, if this restaurant had them. Until then, she needed something to distract her. She desperately searched for a topic of conversation – something – anything. Luna, almost without thinking, asked “What do you think of the night sky?”

Big Mac sat there for a minute. “The night sky is real beautiful.” Big Mac stared at Luna. “I can see it in your mane.”

Suddenly the voices stopped, or at least her perception of the voices stopped. Luna sat in utter disbelief. Nopony, except Celestia, knew that the stars of her mane and the stars of the night sky were intertwined. And Luna had to tell her – Celestia never noticed it on her own. Was there something at play here that she didn’t know about? Or was he that observant? Or was it really obvious but nopony ever took the time to study the night sky to make the connection?

“Luna?” Big Mac queried. Had he said something to upset her?

“I – uh, I am pleased that you noticed.”

Big Mac felt his cheeks warm. One of the benefits of being a red stallion is that when he blushed, as uncommon as it was, most could not see it under his coat.

They sat there, in mutual silence. Finally, Big Mac asked, “Luna, are you going to eat your – uh, how do ya say that?”

Luna snapped back to the moment. She had been lost in thought since Big Mac revealed his opinion on the night sky. “Oh – um – it is called bruschetta.”

“Boo-sket-cha?”

“Broo-sket-uh.”

“Broo-sket-uh.”

“That is it. I, yes, I am going to eat the bruschetta.” Luna picked up a piece. “But please, do have some.”

“Nnope. Ah wouldn’t want to eat your food.”

“Please, we have more than enough.”

Big Mac realized what Luna was up to. He had not ordered an appetizer because the meal would be expensive enough. But Luna ordered it anyways. She was stubborn. Well, he might as well have some. She wouldn’t give up until he did. He picked up a piece from the plate nearest him. Big Mac had never eaten bruschetta before, but its aroma made his mouth water. The bruschetta crunched as Big Mac took a bite. He chewed the bread, its warm, salty, buttery goodness mixing with the bitter tomato and the strong garlic. It was good – very good. He would suggest Applejack make some for dinner, but she would probably say that was fancy food the Apples didn’t need to eat.

Within short order both plates lay bare, decorated only with a few crumbs. Luna felt a little more relaxed. Still the voices filled the background. But Big Mac had eaten several pieces of bruschetta, the last two without her prodding. He sat satisfied and looking more relaxed as well.

The waiter came up to the table. “Your highness, we have arranged for a private table. If you will follow me.” Big Mac and Luna stood up and walked behind the waiter. Luna heard the voices, though hushed, grow louder as the two walked out of the dinning room.

Luna and Big Mac stepped out the door and found themselves astonished at the sight. The back patio, adjoined by the garden, had been transformed into a magical setting. Four dozen candles, some sitting on tables, some on the ground, illuminated the site. The candles gave plenty of light, but the scene was not bright. The soft light faded into the cool night, the two in perfect harmony with one another. The small flickering flames of the candles emulated the twinkling stars in the sky and Luna’s mane. In the center sat a round table with two chairs. A white linen table cloth hung over the table. The two place settings were precisely set. It truly was a beautiful scene. She imagined couples all over Equestria would envy such an intimate setting.

Two members of the staff pulled back the chairs and Luna and Big Mac sat down. The two ponies departed and the waiter addressed the couple. “Your highness, I hope this meets to your satisfaction?”

“Yes, thank you.”

The waiter turned and headed back inside.

Luna and Big Mac sat in silence. Each admired the beautiful ambiance that had been set just for the two of them. Scents of the garden flowers drifted in the cool air of night. Big Mac could see Luna relax, the secluded table far removed from the chatter and stares of inside. It was as if a great burden had been removed. She carried herself once more with poise and grace. Luna looked across the table at Big Mac. The subdued lighting created subtle shadows upon his face. No more was the bright red stallion – he appeared much darker and more gentle. This was indeed the stallion who had saved her – strong and compassionate.

“This really is wonderful.”

“Eeyup.”

“Thank you for requesting it. I was most – uncomfortable – inside.”

“Well ah saw how much pain ya were in, and it hurt me to see ya like that. What kind of gentlecolt would ah be if ah just sat there and let ya suffer?”

“I may have battle monsters from Tartarus, but I still have difficulty with the common ponies. Ever since I…” Luna trailed off and hung her head. “Ever since my salvation, I have done everything within my power to redeem myself, to endear myself with the subjects. But bitter memories die hard.”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac paused trying to find the right words. “Ah can see yer in pain. Ah know it’s hard. But ya have to keep on workin’. Like my pa used to say, ‘Anythin worth doin’ is gonna be hard.’”

Luna raised her head. “Is that what keeps you going?” A dark expression fell upon Big Mac’s face. “I’m – I’m sorry, I did not mean to upset you.”

Big Mac sat quiet for a moment. “Ma and pa’s death is somethin’ we don’t really talk about. Ah’ve tried to forget about it. It –. It –.”

Big Mac glanced down as a hoof touched his. He looked up into Princess Luna’s eyes, filled with compassion. “I did not mean bring up so painful of memories.”

“Well – uh.”

“On the day you are ready to talk, I will be here to listen.”

Big Mac gave a weak smile. He wasn’t quite ready to talk about the past. None of the Apples really wanted to relive the tragic events that led to their parents’ deaths. But knowing that there would be somepony he could talk to reassured him. Wait. This dinner wasn’t a one time thing?

The waiter came out the door. Before Luna he laid small salad, dusted with blue cheese crumbs. Before Big Mac he placed a salad with ranch on the side. Also he placed a basket of bread between the two of them. “Your entrees will be ready momentarily” he said before departing.

Luna and Mac began to eat their salads. They were good, but standard as to be expected. Big Mac broke off a piece of the baguette, and slathered creamy butter upon the bread. He ate the piece, the warm bread and melting butter mixed together, bringing good memories of the bruschetta. Shortly both salads were gone.

Three ponies came out onto the patio. The waiter came to the table. “Your highness, your faux gras.” The salad plate was removed and replaced with a plate containing a nice piece of seared faux gras with a side of truffles. “Sir, your pasta.” The other waiter took away the salad plate and laid a large, shallow bowl containing the entree. Mixed with the pasta were tomatoes, mushrooms, and various greens. “Is there anything else I can get you, your highness?”

Luna looked over at Big Mac. “No thank you, these look delicious.” The staff departed.

Hesitantly both began to eat, unsure as to the protocol. Big Mac enjoyed his meal. The simple steamy pasta blended nicely with the vegetables and mushrooms, and he could detect several interesting flavors, but as to the spices used he could not tell. Luna ate her meal, the delicate faux gras with the sauce gave her a small smile. It was rich, as were most of the meals in Canterlot, but very good.

When they finished their meals, the staff came and removed the plates. “Can I interest your highness in dessert?”

“What are your selections for this evening?” asked Luna.

“We have five desserts this evening: a Manehattan cheese cake served with strawberries, a carrot cake, a dark chocolate soufflé, baked yakyakistan, and finally zapp apple pie.”

“Zapp apple pie?”

Big Mac began. “My family harvests zapp apples from our orchards. We typically make it into jams and preserves, but have begun selling zapp apples for ponies to make pies ’n such.”

“Oh, I had no idea. I will have a piece of zapp apple pie.”

“And for you sir?”

Big Mac hadn’t planned on getting dessert. This meal was going to be awfully expensive without it. However, he knew Luna would press him, so rather than rankle over it, he would go ahead and order. He knew Applejack would disown him if he ordered anything else. “Make that two.”

“Yes, right away.” The waiter departed once more. Luna looked at Big Mac once more, studying him. The waiter returned with two large pieces of pie a la mode, the colorful chunks of apple poking out from underneath the crusts, the vanilla ice cream melting and mixing with the hot apple pie.

Luna, levitating the fork, cut a small piece of the pie and brought it to her mouth. She bit down, and received quite a surprise. It was unlike anything she had ever had. The flavors were as varied as the colors. The more she chewed, the more wonderful the flavors came out.

Big Mac too was surprised by the pie. He knew the taste zapp apple jam, of course. The family turned most of the harvest into that product, brining in a nice sum to keep the farm going. But Twilight enchanted special barrels that kept the zapp apples fresh, allowing the family to stretch out the crop beyond the traditional season. It was from this stockpile that the family had recently sold some zapp apples to a broker.

Quickly the pies disappeared, and the two sat happily. Finally Luna, who had been studying him for some time, leaned forward and said “Big Mac, you are an enigma.”

“Oh?” asked Big Mac, his focus coming gradually, slowed by his overstuffed stomach.

“I spoke today with Rarity and Twilight. I have heard that you are humble, industrious, and extremely conscientious of your duty to your family.”

“Oh.” Big Mac would have favored his standard “eeyup,” but somehow that contrasted with his aforementioned humble nature.

“I have also heard you are wonderful singer.”

“Well, ah don’t know ’bout that, ah sing in a quartet for a reason.” Even if he sang as good as ponies said, he still preferred an ensemble.

“The only other thing I heard was that you enjoy hoofball.”

“Eeyup.”

“Do you play?”

“Not since ah was a colt. Ah follow the pro games.”

“Any particular team?”

“Well, the closest team is the Canterlot Wondercolts.”

“Ah yes, I have heard of them.”

“You haven’t been to a game?” asked a surprised Big Mac.

“I have not. I rule the night, so most days I am asleep. And before that, I was – unavailable.”

Big Mac reflected for a moment. Though he had never really thought about it, it made sense she would be asleep during the day. Everypony had to sleep sometime, even royalty. Right?

Luna continued. “But Celestia has been to many games. She often presides over them from the royal box.”

“She enjoys hoofball?”

“I –” Luna paused for a moment. “I cannot say. She doesn’t really talk about the matches. At least not to me.”

Luna aimed the conversation back to her original target. “But what else is there?”

“Not much.”

“Surely there is so much more. You sing, but do you play an instrument?”

“Nnope. Applejack plays the fiddle from time to time. And Apple Bloom, she’s tried just ’bout every one there is, hoping to get her cutie mark.”

“Yes, Celestia and I were quite pleased when we received the letter. I knew how much those three fillies wanted their cutie marks.”

“You did?” asked a surprised Big Mac.

“Yes, as part of my duties I keep order in the dreams. You were there when the tantabus attacked Ponyville?”

“Eeyup.”

Luna suddenly became sullen. “Not my finest moment. A setback after working so hard to earn the trust of my subjects.”

“Ya didn’t mean no harm.”

“Yes, well, during my duty of monitoring the dreams, I worked with the three fillies. They were all having nightmares about their cutie marks. I calmed them in their dreams so that they may rest more peacefully.”

Big Mac had heard something about a nightmare, but he didn’t know Luna was personally involved. “Well, thank ya for that.”

“Not at all, it is my duty. Did you see Apple Bloom get her cutie mark?”

“Nnope. She was at school. Would’ve like to seen it, though.”

“But what else is there? Besides singing and following hoofball, how else do you spend your time?”

“Ah don’t have much time beyond that. The farm keeps me pretty busy – buckin’ apples, fixin’ thins, and ya know ’bout the plowin’. Other than that, I spend a lot of time lookin’ after Granny Smith, Applejack, and Apple Bloom.”

“Surely there is a special somepony in your life?”

Big Mac was a little surprised at the directness of the question. “Nnope.”

“No?” asked a surprised Luna. “I would have thought that you would have several courting you. You appear to have the traits mares are looking for – you are strong, a family pony, quite handsome.” Luna broke eye contact, a little embarrassed at the last observation.

“Nnope. There was Miss Cherilee, though that wasn’t my fault.”

“Not your fault?”

“On Hearts and Hooves Day, Apple Bloom and her friends decided to play matchmakers. They tried to set me up with Miss Cherilee. When we didn’t fall in love, those three gave us a love potion.”

“Really? It must not have worked?”

“Oh, it worked. ’Cept it turned out to be a love poison.”

“Oh no!” squealed Luna. She let out a few laughs before she restraining herself. “Pray continue.”

“We were under the most embarrassing spell. Acted like real fools. The only way to break the spell was to keep us apart.”

“And?” said Luna, trying to strangle the large smile across her face.

“And Miss Cherilee and ma’self tore up half the town tryin’ to get to one ’nother. But we broke the spell.”

“And are you still friends with Miss Cherilee?”

“Just friends.”

“I can only imagine how awkward it must be between the two of you.”

“Eeyup.”

“Well, I am sure they only had your best interests in mind.”

“Eeyup.”

“Nothing else to the mysterious Big Mac?”

“Nnope.”

“Nothing at all?”

“Nnope.”

A little disappointed, Luna sat upright.

Now it was Big Mac’s chance to turn the tables. “How ’bout you?”

“Me?”

“What do ya do in yer spare time?”

Luna thought for a moment. “Well, I do not have a great deal of time either. I raise the moon and set the stars in motion, I guard dreams of those in Equestria, and spend much time handling royal duties.” Luna saw a big smile across his face. “What?”

Big Mac hadn’t realized he was smiling. “Oh – it’s just ya make it sound so simple. Raising the moon, lighting the stars, goin’ to dreams, runnin’ the country.”

“I do not light the stars, just ensure they move across the sky. But yes, I suppose after a length of time the most amazing tasks can become mundane. But I do enjoy creating the night. I am a little biased, but I think the night is more beautiful than the day.”

“Eeyup.”

“You agree?”

“Eeyup.”

“I have met very few ponies who prefer the night to the day. Pray tell what you like about the night.”

“It’s cooler. More quiet. And the stars aren’t out in the day.”

“Yes…”

Big Mac wasn’t going to let her get away that easily. “Nothin’ else?”

“Well…” Luna decided she could tell Big Mac. “I do like to play pranks on Celestia from time to time – only after she has played one on me of course.”

“Oh?”

“Well, a few weeks ago, when Celestia was having breakfast and I dinner, she had the chef make my meal with coffee beans. I was awake most of the day. After that inconsiderate deed, I replaced her normal writing ink with invisible ink. She must have sent a dozen blank letters to Twilight. And Twilight was going mad thinking it was some kind of test she could not solve!” Both laughed at the story. “But beyond that, I have nothing to occupy my time.”

“What ’bout a special somepony?”

“No, Celestia has advised against it.”

“‘Advised against it?’”

“Celestia does not believe we are strong enough to endure the pain.” A puzzled look fell on Big Mac’s face. Luna explained, “We alicorns are immortal, free from the inevitability of a natural death. But any stallion we take would not. He would age, grow old, and pass on to that place we cannot follow. We would live eternally tormented with unending sorrow. Celestia does not want us to endure that pain. She believes it is better to never love than to have loved and lost.”

“And Princess Cadence?”

“She is young. She does not yet understand immortality. Celestia counseled her against marriage, but Cadence would not listen. But someday, she will know the pain of Shining Armor’s death.”

“And what if y’all were to fall in love?”

“We would not allow ourselves to fall in love. We would listen to our heads, not our hearts.” A long silence fell over the table as both pondered what was said. “Such a heavy topic for our dinner.”

“Eeyup.”

“I did not wish to weigh you down with our plight.”

“Nah, ah asked the question.”

“Still, it is nice to be able to talk with somepony beyond Celestia.”

“Ya don’t have anypony else?”

“Well, there is the royal staff, and my guards.”

“Ya must be lonely.”

“I must admit it can be lonely at times.”

“Well, if ya ever need somepony to talk to.”

Luna gave a small smile. “Thank you.”

The waiter came out to the two. “Is there anything else I can get you, your highness?”

Luna looked over at Big Mac, who shook his head. “No we are good.”

“Very well, may I get you the bill sir?” A expression of shock and apprehension came over Big Mac’s face.

“I will be taking the bill for this evening’s meal” interjected Luna.

“Oh, yes your highness” said a somewhat confused waiter.

“And would you send the bill to the Canterlot Castle?”

“Your highness?”

“All the restaurants in Canterlot send the bills to the castle.”

“Oh, uh, yes, I will make the arrangements your highness.”

“Thank you.” The waiter went back inside. “Shall we depart?”

“Eeyup.” The two ponies got up, and left their magical dinner.

***

Big Mac and Luna stolled down the dark path that led to Sweet Apple Acres. After leaving the restaurant, Luna insisted on walking Big Mac home. Though he protested that he knew the way, she maintained that as the ruler of the night it was her duty to ensure ponies’ safety. Luna also noted her three guards, ready and willing to fight in their defense. And so it was that the two found themselves walking together to the farm.

Along the way, Luna pointed out the different constellations and stars in the sky. Big Mac had looked up at the night sky all his life, but he never knew that much about it. Pegasus, Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, Polaris, Rigel, all were explained by Luna. But as much as Big Mac enjoyed learning about the sky, he really enjoyed listening to Luna. This was her domain, her element, and her enthusiasm was contagious.

They approached the farmhouse. Dark and quiet it stood. Everypony had turned in for the night, the early morning chores coming soon enough. Big Mac turned to Luna. “Well, thank ya for dinner. Ah had a real nice time.”

“Yes, I enjoyed this evening as well.”

“Well, ah have to turn in. Got a lot of work to do tomorrow.”

“I do not wish to keep you.”

“Ah’m sure ya got to get back to Canterlot.”

“Yes, I will be returning to Canterlot this evening….Big Mac?”

“Eeyup?”

“I – I enjoyed your company this evening. I hope we can continue to be friends.”

“Eeyup.”

“Perhaps the next time I am in Ponyville, we could have dinner, or breakfast?”

“Eeyup.”

Luna gave a small smile. “Until then?”

“Eeyup. Good evening Princess.” He started to bow, but Luna stopped him.

“Luna.”

Big Mac had thought the situation called for formality. “Good evening Luna.”

“Good evening Big Mac.”

Big Mac turned and climbed the stairs. Luna, with a flap of her wings, took off. Big Mac looked over his shoulder and saw Luna climb into the night, three circling guards converged and the party turned towards Ponyville. It was a wonderful dinner. It was a beautiful night. Big Mac smiled to himself.

Author's Note:

Good Afternoon,

As promised, another new chapter!

This chapter took a lot of effort. Not only for it is the longest chapter thus far, but it required a fair amount of dialogue, something I have at times found difficult. But I think it turned out quite well.

Again, check back next Friday for a brand new chapter!

Keep Writing,

Dreadnought