• Published 14th May 2016
  • 1,958 Views, 78 Comments

Dreams of the Heart - Dreadnought



An attack on Princess Luna leads to unexpected consequences for Equestria.

  • ...
4
 78
 1,958

Chapter 4: About Town

Author's Note:

Good Morning,

Here's another chapter for your enjoyment. Of all the chapters in Part I, this required the most extensive rewrite. On TheMajorTechie's recommendation, I added a lot of material to flesh the story out and make it less choppy. In the end, I think this chapter turned out far better for the effort.

I would remiss if I didn't plug two stories. I am working on a collaboration with TheMajorTechie and Forestshadows on a story called The Wielder of the Orb. Chapter 2 will be published shortly.

I was feeling pretty down the other day after a frustrating day at work. I destressed by writing a comedic one-shot called Harmony Death Match. It's currently in the review stage and will hopefully make it on the site today.

Let me know what y'all think. Have a good Memorial Day weekend! See everyone next Friday!

Keep Writing,

Dreadnought

PART I: Shared Dreams
Chapter 4: About Town

Ever since expanding her business beyond Ponyville, Rarity found herself spending more and more time sitting at her desk. On the upside, she ran a successful business consisting of several popular boutiques catering to an ever-growing clientele from across Equestria. This enhanced her reputation as one of the leading up-and-coming trendsetting fashionistas. On the downside, such success entailed more and more dull administrative work to keep her business going. Orders kept streaming in. Some were from her store managers, requesting items that could be hung on the racks ready to be sold to eager customers. Others contained measurements and specifications of clients, wishing for a tailored one-of-a-kind outfit they’ll just adore. All these orders meant that she must place orders for the raw materials of her trade – fabrics of every color and texture and pattern, dyes to create new exotic shades, and gemstones to accent the finished clothing. Furthermore, she found it necessary to constantly update her schedule. Not only did she have to ensure that she found the time to complete the orders, time to arrange fitting sessions, and time to visit her boutiques, she also had to balance her own social calendar with friends, family and, someday, the stallion of her dreams. And then of course she paid bills, coordinated publicity, and kept a meticulous record of all her customers’ individual tastes and preferences. Finally, after all the other work had been accomplished, Rarity needed to research new trends and the latest fashion styles. She was a hard worker, but even she was beginning to feel overwhelmed by her own success….

Ding-a-ling.

The bell above her boutique’s entrance rang, snapping Rarity’s concentration and boredom. A prospective customer awaited! With a sense of relief, Rarity backed her chair away from the desk and stood up. She took a moment to stretch her tight muscles before trotting to her storefront. She stepped across the threshold from her private home into her public business and found herself caught by surprise.

“Princess Luna!” welcomed Rarity.

“Good morning fair Rarity,” greeted Princess Luna.

“What brings you to my boutique this morning?” queried a curious Rarity.

“I came to once again thank you for the generosity you displayed during my stay at Ponyville Hospital.”

“Oh, think nothing of it darling.”

“Your efforts made my recuperation much more comfortable.”

“Well, those drab hospital rooms practically scream for a personal touch.”

“Nevertheless, I appreciate your efforts.”

“Well, you’re very welcome.” Rarity paused to consider for a moment. “It is not quite finished, but since you are here, I would like to fit your new dress. Unless of course you are in a hurry. I can arrange for a fitting session at my boutique in Canterlot.”

“No, that is not necessary. I have time now.”

“Very good. I will go get it.”

Rarity disappeared into a back room, leaving Princess Luna alone in the boutique. She glanced around the interior, beautifully appointed to indicate the upscale nature of the business. Lovely purplish-pink buntings graced the walls. Finished gowns of every color and style hung on racks, calling out to prospective customers. A platform stood in front of three full-length mirrors, allowing patrons to admire themselves in their new outfits.

Princess Luna heard hoofsteps and turned to see Rarity standing behind her. Inside a blue aura hung a long gown of a deep handsome green. She was no expert, but Luna observed that it was made of a most exquisite fabric. For a moment, she just stood there admiring the beautiful dress.

“The dressing room is over there,” Rarity said, pointing her hoof to the left. Princess Luna snapped back to the moment and enveloped the dress in her own aura. She walked into the dressing room, closing the curtain behind her. Still entranced with her gorgeous gown, she admired it for a long time.

“Is everything alright dear?” called Rarity.

“Yes I am fine,” replied Luna. Carefully she slipped the dress on. Rarity possessed a keen eye for sizes. There were a few tight areas, but otherwise the dress fit flawlessly.

Princess Luna stepped from the dressing room, to hear a gasp from Rarity. “You look absolutely stunning.”

Princess Luna stepped onto the platform and saw her reflection in the three mirrors. She admired how beautiful she looked in the gown. The dress hugged her body and accentuated her curves perfectly.

“How does it fit?” queried Rarity.

“Wonderful, though it is a little tight here,” she said, pointing the area of concern.

Rarity measured the area and took note of the change. “That will not be a problem. Just a little adjustment. Oh, I almost forgot,” said Rarity before disappearing into the back. Luna turned once again to the three mirrors.

“You will be the belle of the ball with this,” called Rarity. Luna turned to see her holding up a necklace bearing the large emerald Spike originally gave to Luna. Rarity carefully strung it around Luna’s neck. Princess Luna gazed at the beautiful mare in the mirror…

***

The two friends found themselves sitting at a small table in Sugarcube Corner after Rarity insisted on taking Princess Luna to lunch. Though noted for its sweet treats, the Cakes had started serving lunch as a way to expand their business. Ponies filled every table in the restaurant. Luna and Rarity’s table sat in the corner, as private as one could get in the dining room. Much to Luna’s relief, her time at Ponyville Hospital had made the residents used to her presence. She still drew occasional glances from the patrons, but she drew much less attention than her appearance on Nightmare Night.

Rarity elegantly dined on her meal, an apple and carrot heavy salad. She delicately cut the food into small pieces. Careful not to drop any, she took small bites and never talked with food in her mouth. Before speaking, Rarity always dabbed her mouth with her napkin.

Luna ate her lunch, a wonderful vegetable sandwich. It reminded her of the plain meals served at the hospital. She much preferred this simple fare, and did not look forward to the rich, lavish meals served at the Canterlot events she often had to attend. She looked at her side of apple chips, wondering whether they had come from Sweet Apple Acres….

“Rarity?” Luna began.

“Yes?” responded the unicorn.

“Could you recommend a restaurant for dinner?”

“Oh yes dear, but won’t you be returning to Canterlot after lunch?”

“Oh no, I have made plans for the evening” responded Luna skittishly.

“With anypony in particular?” asked Rarity, an obvious interest in her voice.

“I will be dining with Big McIntosh.”

“Big Mac!?” The intensity of Rarity’s response drew the attention of numerous ponies eating lunch.

“Yes,” timidly replied Luna. She became painfully aware of the stares from the fellow patrons, her newfound pseudo-anonymity gone. She continued in a soft, nervous voice. “We are eternally grateful to him for saving our life. We offered him a handsome reward, but he declined all offers. We finally convinced him to accept a dinner with us as a sign of our appreciation.”

“I understand completely” replied Rarity with a smile. Her demeanor had a certain suspicious undertone running through it. Rarity continued, “Well let me think. There are a number of fine dining selections here in Ponyville. The Chef’s Special is an excellent choice. Their new chef, Emerald, is getting rave reviews. But in my opinion the best restaurant in town is The Upper Crust. All the chefs were trained in Canterlot. And their restaurant has a very in-err-elegant atmosphere. Yes dear, The Upper Crust is the restaurant where you would want to take Big Mac to dinner.”

Luna thought for a moment. Yes, The Upper Crust. Though he had turned down her offer of ten thousand bits, she could still take him to a fancy dinner. The best restaurant in town would certainly show her appreciation. “That sounds like a most wonderful place.”

“Ooo. I should finish your dress this afternoon so you can where it tonight. You do want to look your best.”

“Yes, but I fear I would be overdressed. I told Big Mac that this would be very informal dinner.”

“Oh, I don’t believe he owns any formal attire. None of the shops in town carry his size, but we could try to have something tailored for him by this evening.”

Luna shook her head. “He should not purchase a suit just for this evening. I would gladly purchase it on his behalf, but I doubt he would consent to another gift. It was difficult enough to have him accept a dinner offer.”

Rarity’s heart sank. “Yes, I suppose you are right dear.”

“He is most humble.”

“Oh yes. He hardly speaks a word. The only way we could get him to sing was as part of our ensemble.”

“Your ensemble?”

“The Ponytones. We have a quartet, well, a quintet. Fluttershy sometimes sings with us –”

“Fluttershy?” Though Fluttershy possessed an angelic voice, Luna could not believe that she would sing in front of a large audience.

“Yes Fluttershy, when we can convince her. She adds a most –”

“Who wants dessert!?” Pinkie Pie had bounced over to their table with a platter of pastries, pies, and cakes. Etiquette demanded that Luna partake, though she had eaten enough of the shop’s treats during her hospital stay to last for years to come. When she attempted to share some with her guards, they insisted they could not eat while on duty. Funny, she set the standards for the Night Guard, and yet she didn’t recall every imposing such a regulation.

***

Though she would not be wearing the new dress, Rarity insisted that Princess Luna look her best for dinner with Big Mac. She convinced the princess to go with her to the spa for a “regular” treatment. The two enjoyed a private steam bath, cleansing the pores and relaxing the muscles. Princess Luna and Rarity next received facials, exfoliating and refreshing the skin. This was followed by soothing massages, removing any tension and leaving Luna in a most blissful state. Next the mares spent time getting a mud bath before having their horns filed. The last part of the treatment involved a hooficure, the spa ponies trimming and filing their hoofs before polishing them to a reflective sheen. The two spent several hours at the spa, and Princess Luna had to admit that Rarity knew how to have a relaxing afternoon….

***

Princess Luna and Rarity exited the spa in the late afternoon. Celestia’s sun hung in the sky, in no hurry to meet the westerly horizon. The bright sunshine highlighted the vivid colors of the town’s buildings. Scents of flowers and the town market filled the air. Dozens of ponies moved about, conducting their business or carrying on a friendly conversation.

Princess Luna turned to Rarity. “I had a most wonderful afternoon. You have been most generous.”

“Think nothing of it dear.” Rarity’s mind returned to their meeting in the morning. “I will make the final adjustments to your dress and send it to the castle in Canterlot.”

“Thank you very much. I love the dress.”

“I am glad to hear it.”

“I must be off and take care of something before dinner tonight.”

“Have a wonderful evening.”

“Thank you, I will. Goodbye Rarity.”

“Goodbye Princess Luna.”

Luna turned and launched into the air, quickly followed by three of her Night Guards. She soared into the sky, her wings effortlessly powering higher and higher. Rarity stood there, watching the princess disappear into the blue. She silently wished Luna well on her dinner, wondering where things would end up….

***

The spa had been a wonderful idea. Not since before her battle had Luna felt this relaxed, this carefree. Now, soaring in the sky, Luna was filled with vigor and vitality. Her powerful muscles flexed with each flap of the wing. Air flowed over and around her new feathers. Fresh air filled her lungs. The rays of the sun warmed her coat and wings. It truly was a great afternoon. Somehow, Luna knew that night would be equally magnificent.

Luna saw her destination ahead rising on the outskirts of Ponyville. Sprouting out of the ground stood a towering crystal tree, the sunlight sparkling off its facets. The branches reached towards the heavens, while the trunk spread out into the ground, hinting that its foundations lay firmly rooted deep beneath. The tree shouldered an enchanting purple castle. Gold leaf sheathed the pitched roof and turrets, reflecting the glorious afternoon sun. Rising above all, a twilight star crowned the chateau.

Princess Luna landed in front of the Castle of Friendship, the home to Princess Twilight Sparkle. She could have landed on the balcony and gone immediately inside, but Luna felt that she should show courtesy to her friend. She walked up the golden staircase that led to the front door, followed by her guards. Reaching the door, she knocked several times. After a few moments the door opened, revealing Princess Twilight.

“Oh, good afternoon Princess Luna, I wasn’t expecting you.” Twilight was pleasantly surprised by this unexpected visit.

“Good Afternoon Twilight. I hope this is a good time.”

“Of course, come in.” Twilight opened the door wide, allowing Luna and her three guards to enter.

Luna looked around. “I have come to see young Spike. Is he around?”

“Yes, he is in the kitchen. Is everything alright?” asked a concerned Twilight.

“Yes, I must send a letter to Celestia.”

Twilight, suddenly realizing the purpose of the visit said “He’s starting to prepare dinner. Follow me to the kitchen.” Luna and her guards fell in behind the young alicorn as she led them to the kitchen. “Spike?”

“Here Twilight.” The young dragon came trotting to Twilight. “Oh, hello Princess Luna.”

“Good afternoon Spike. I am in need of thy services.”

“My services?”

“Yes, I must send a letter to Celestia.”

“Wait, let me get some parchment.” Spike hurried over to the drawer, pulling forth a quill and parchment. Living with Twilight, Spike had learned to keep parchment all over the castle, in case she wanted to send an immediate letter or make one of her numerous to-do lists. “Ready” said Spike, eager to put words to paper.

“Dear Celestia” Luna began. “I had unexpected business in Ponyville today, delaying my return to Canterlot. I do not anticipate arriving at the castle until late this evening. Please do not wait up for me. Your sister, Luna.”

Spike finished writing. With a small nod from Luna, he rolled up and tied the scroll, then set it alight with his green fire breath. The scroll turned to green smoke, which soon disappeared on its way to Canterlot.

“Thank you Spike.”

Spike beamed at the recognition. “No problem at all.”

“You said you weren’t returning until late this evening. Would you like to join us for dinner? We were going to have dinner with Starlight, but she will be over at Fluttershy’s tonight.”

“No thank you, I have plans for dinner this evening.”

“Oh, well, would you at least like some tea?” eagerness permeating her question.

Luna paused for a moment. “I do not wish to impose upon your hospitality.”

“Not at all. Spike, could you prepare us some tea?”

“Coming right up.”

Twilight led Luna to the Library, where a small table and chairs could provide an informal setting. Luna briefly glanced back over her shoulder to her guards and couldn’t help but crack a small smile. All three stood there, their jaws hanging open. They certainly had visited libraries before, but not a private library rivaling the largest public libraries of Equestria. Inside bookcases lined every wall. They reached from the floor to the ceiling several stories above. Every shelf was packed with books, with not a bookend to be found. Even with a shelf filled, more books bridged the upright books. Brightly colored brand new books sat next to rare old books, their dustcovers faded and torn. Small paperbacks competed for space with thick hardbacks. But there certainly was a method to the madness. The books were arranged neatly by subject and covered every topic possible. Luna realized why Celestia remarked that Twilight had been her best student.

After a few minutes of small talk, Spike came in pushing a cart. He sat the cups and saucers in front of the two princesses and carefully poured the boiling water. When he completed his task, he excused himself to prepare dinner.

The alicorns chatted for quite a while, their conversation swaying back and forth between the two. Twilight, still grappling with her role as a princess of Equestria, sought the counsel of the older princess on many different matters. Luna, though still somewhat fresh to modern times, did her best to answer her questions on subjects ranging from sensitive negotiations, international diplomacy, to royal etiquette and protocol. For her part, Luna related many stories of Celestia to an eager Twilight. Luna, seeking revenge for the pranks, shared some embarrassing episodes from their youth, making Twilight promise to allude to them in her forthcoming conversations with Celestia.

Finally Spike arrived at the library’s door. “Dinner will be ready in five minutes” he announced, then left to return to the kitchen.

Luna looked at Twilight, “Please do not let me keep you.”

Twilight stood up. “You said you have dinner plans for this evening?”

Luna glanced at the clock on the wall, reading six-thirty. “I will be dining with Big McIntosh.”

“Big Mac?” asked an astonished Twilight.

“Yes. He saved my life after the battle with the riesen. Earlier today I called upon him and attempted to give him a reward but he steadfastly refused any offer.”

Twilight shrugged. “I know Big Mac a little. He’s the most humble pony I’ve ever met.”

“Indeed. I finally convinced him to accept a dinner as a sign of my appreciation.”

“That sounds nice. Where are you going?”

“Rarity suggested The Upper Crust.”

“That’s the fanciest restaurant in town.”

“I wanted him to know how truly grateful I am. Is there anything else you can tell me about Big McIntosh?”

“Well, first off, he prefers Big Mac.”

“Oh, I had no idea. What else can you tell me of Big Mac?”

Twilight thought for a moment. “He and Applejack run Sweet Apple Acres. He does a lot of the hard work, plowing the fields, bucking the apples, pulling the wagons. That’s probably why he is the strongest pony in town.”

“Yes, I observed him at work today. He must be strong to pull that that old plow all day long.”

Twilight continued. “He really is devoted to his family. He always tries to keep Applejack grounded, which can be a challenge, given how stubborn she can be. And since their parents died, Big Mac has been like a father to Applebloom. He’s always looking out for her safety and wellbeing. He would do anything for her.”

The pieces began falling into place. Though never directly addressed, Luna realized that a hole existed in the Apple family. Perhaps they found it easier to not discuss such a painful subject. With their parents missing, Big McIntosh and Applejack would need to fill the vacuum to keep the farm running and provide a stable home life for Applebloom.

“He also takes good care of Granny Smith. He makes sure she doesn’t overexert herself and ensures she gets her rest.”

“Anything else?”

“He is a really good singer.”

“Rarity did say he sang in her group.”

“Yes, the Ponytones. He is the bass. They perform at many events here in town.”

“Perhaps I can attend one of their concerts.”

“Well, they will be singing as part of the Ponyville Concert Series.”

“I will have to put that on my calendar.”

“Other than that, Spike has told me that he likes hoofball.”

“Does he follow a particular team?”

“Honestly, I don’t know.”

“Well, he sounds like a most interesting pony.”

“Yes, you can get to know him better over your dinner.”

Suddenly realizing the time, Luna said “Isn’t your dinner ready?”

“Yes, Spike is waiting for me. Please feel free to stay here in the library until you need to leave.”

“I will. Thank you very much for the tea and the information about Big McIn- Big Mac.”

Twilight smiled at Luna’s correction. “It was so nice to see you. Please come by more often.”

“I will. Goodbye Twilight.”

“Goodbye Princess Luna.”

Twilight trotted out the door. Luna looked at the clock. She would be meeting Big Mac in only a few minutes. But first, celestial duties beckoned….