• Published 14th May 2016
  • 1,958 Views, 78 Comments

Dreams of the Heart - Dreadnought



An attack on Princess Luna leads to unexpected consequences for Equestria.

  • ...
4
 78
 1,958

Chapter 10: The Daydream

PART I: Shared Dreams
Chapter 10: The Daydream

Celestia’s scorching sun hung high in the pale blue sky over Equestria. All the land lay exposed to its blinding, piercing light. The searing heat from the sun added to the already brutally hot day. A hot, dry, never-ending day. Big Mac pulled the plow through the large field at Sweet Apple Acres. Somehow plowing felt harder today, the tough sod unyielding before the prow. He trudged onwards. With each step his hooves dug deep into the dirt, the earth roasted by the sun. Dust rose into the air, penetrating his nostrils and stinging his lungs, giving him a hacking cough. It truly was a miserable day.

It wasn’t just the hot day. Big Mac felt tired. Very tired. And not just because he had been plowing all morning and still had much of the field ahead of him. No, it was because he hadn’t slept well. Actually, he hadn’t slept well for the past five nights. Ever since his conversation with Princess Luna, he had been uneasy about going to sleep. He would lay awake in bed for hours before drifting off, only to suddenly wake a dozen or so times throughout the night. What sleep he did get was simply awful. And every morning he woke earlier than usual, feeling completely drained. Not even coffee could pull him from his weariness.

Big Mac reached the end of the field and turned the plow around. He wasn’t sure he could make another pass. His exhaustion wore him down. He was simply going through the motions, hardly able to focus at all. He stood there for a while, trying to build up the strength to continue. What he wouldn’t give for a rest. Better yet, some sleep. Wait! That’s it! He could take nap. A catnap. No. A power nap! With Apple Bloom at school and Applejack in town helping Twilight with some project, he was all alone. Nopony would catch him napping on the job – something that would ruin his unquestionable reputation for hard work. But Big Mac wasn't being lazy. Taking a quick nap would reinvigorate him, allowing him to tackle the rest of his chores with renewed energy.

Big Mac looked to the sun, raising a hoof to shield his eyes from the bright sunshine. From its position he concluded it was sometime around eleven. By this time, Princess Luna was sure to be fast asleep. He need not fear her witnessing any embarrassing dreams, if he had any. He smiled as he realized it was the perfect plan.

Big Mac unhitched himself from the plow and lumbered over to the edge of the field. He found a nice, shady spot below some of the tress, their canopy hiding him from any overflying pegasi. Slowly he removed his horse collar and placed it on the ground. He laid next to it, cradling his head between his forelegs. This felt good. The shade cooled him. The –. Big Mac fell fast asleep….

***

Big Mac stood in a large entryway, filled with an abundance of ladies and gentlecolts dressed in their finest formal attire. The ladies wore beautiful gowns of every color and style, accented with jewelry made from rubies, diamonds, emeralds and sapphire. Gentlecolts wore black tuxedos, some sporting black ties and some white. The room itself reflected the social standing of its occupants. The light purple walls, trimmed with expensive and rare woods, sported beautiful tapestries. Red carpet stretched across a marble checkered floor. At the other end lay a grand sweeping staircase, framed by golden balustrades. Upon the landing below two Gothic stained glass windows – one of the sun and one of the night – stood two alicorns. The imposing Princess Celestia stood to the left, her magically flowing mane wafting in an imaginary wind. She wore a beautiful pink gown and her usual royal crown. To the right stood Princess Twilight Sparkle, looking quite fetching in a blue ball gown. A long greeting line stretched down the stairs and across the floor.

Big Mac took a step forward, but stopped. Something wasn't right. He looked about and saw his reliable horse collar missing, instead replaced with a handsome black tuxedo. A black bow tie squeezed tightly around his neck. His red coat, usually sweaty and dirty from working the fields, possessed a fine sheen. He lifted his foreleg to see that somepony expertly filed and polished his dry and cracked hooves. And in the air he could detect the distinct scent of a stallion’s cologne.

Big Mac wasn’t sure what was going on, but decided to move on. Even though he was dreaming, he couldn't bring himself to push his way to the front of the receiving line to seek the wisdom of Twilight or Princess Celestia. He gazed around and saw another large room lying beyond an arched entryway. Somehow, instinctively, he knew he should go there. Slowly he weaved through the thick mass of ponies into the adjoining room.

An immense ballroom lay before Big Mac. Large windows opened up to the inky blackness of the sky, bejeweled by the twinkling light of the stars. Banners hung between Tuscan columns bedecked with colorful bows. Bright balloons adorned tables graced with hoof-carved ice sculptures and colorful confetti laced the floors. Off at one end ponies danced together beneath a small ensemble of musicians.

Everywhere ponies milled about, chatted, or shared a drink. Big Mac looked around, attempting to figure out what he should do when something caught his attention. Near one of the equestrian statues stood a group of four ponies he knew well. His sisters Applejack and Apple Bloom conversed with their close friends Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. Instantly he recognized their outfits – the same they wore to the last Grand Galloping Gala. Big Mac must be dreaming about the Gala. Somehow it all felt so – authentic.

Big Mac was about to go over to them when a voice stopped him in his tracks. “There you are.” Big Mac turned to see Princess Luna approaching him. She looked stunning in a striking black gown and wore an inviting smile on her face.

“I’ve been looking all over for you,” she said. She walked up next to him and slipped her foreleg under his. “Shall we dance?”

Big Mac was speechless as Luna led him to the dance floor. Ponies parted to make way for the large red stallion and the equally large alicorn princess. Reaching the center of the dance floor, she turned to face him. She placed a foreleg on his shoulder and he did the same. As the musical ensemble began the next song, they started to glide across the floor, the epitomy of elegance. Big Mac didn’t really know how to dance, but somehow it felt as natural as bucking apples. Across the floor they moved in perfect harmony. Big Mac glanced around and not a single pony stared at the two of them, as if this was a common occurrence. He turned back to face Luna and will never forget her expression. An understated smile upon her face, her eyes filled with joy, she seemed to have found peace. Their eyes locked, the rest of the Gala slipping into the background. Luna's smile widened, and she laid her head on his shoulder. On they danced, lost in this perfect moment....

Finally the song came to an end and the two of them stopped dancing. The surroundings reemerged from the background. Luna stepped back and looked him in the eyes. “This has been a most wonderful evening.” She gave him a peck on the cheek. Big Mac instantly froze, his eyes going wide. “Is something amatter McIntosh?”

“Well, uh, ah’m awfully sorry ’bout this.”

“About what?”

“Dreamin’ ’bout you again.”

“What?” a level of confusion and concern pervading her voice.

“Ah didn’t mean for this dream to happen –.”

“This dream?” The other ponies, the decorations, the castle itself dimmed into blackness and a distressed Princess Luna dissolved away….

***

Big Mac woke with a start. He looked up, dazed and shaken. Normally he didn’t remember his dreams that well. But he remembered every detail of this dream – the castle decorated for the Grand Galloping Gala, the ponies in their best formal attire, the festive atmosphere, and an unforgettable Princess Luna dressed in a striking black gown. Big Mac shook his head, but no matter how much he tried, he couldn’t lose that odd feeling haunting him. He couldn’t put his hoof on it. Something felt strange. Something felt alien. It was almost as if he was detached from his own dream before being ripped away. And Princess Luna was there. Oh how he wished she wasn’t in his dream. He dreaded seeing her next time, whether visiting Ponyville on formal business or stopping by the farm for a friendly conversation.

Slowly Big Mac stood up. That nap did nothing to make him feel better. If anything it made him feel worse. But there was no way he was going to go back to sleep now, and he still had many chores to do. He looked over and, uncharacteristically, let out a sigh as he donned his horse collar and wearily trudged back to his plow.

Author's Note:

See everyone Friday for the thrilling conclusion of Part I!

Dreadnought