• Published 30th Jul 2011
  • 4,279 Views, 28 Comments

A Renowned Reputation - JordanJwoww



Rarity is confronted with a business deal of a lifetime. However, it requires her to be in Manehattan, which brings back memories from long

  • ...
6
 28
 4,279

Ch. 8 Confrontation

**Author’s Note: This story, nay, I should say this piece that I’ve been writing… There has always been something about it. Something special. I have had quite the amount of writing experience in my life; however, this stands out the most for me. I love this work, but at the same time, I hate it. My idea of telling a slice-of-life story has been one of utter failure. But I guess that can be said for every slice-of-life. This piece has taken a toll on me. I have been through situations in my life that have led me to share similar experiences to that of Rarity. In no sense am I admitting to using Prestige as a self-insert. We share no connection, except for him being a creation of my imagination. This parallel with Rarity, however, is what affects me. Everything she feels, I feel. This has turned into a self-criticism of myself, and I need to stop. This will be the final chapter. This chapter will wrap up what I’ve been building up, and conclude this chapter in my life. Closure. I want to thank everyone who has followed along with this story as its been written, I understand it’s been a long and irregular writing process, and if it wasn’t for you’re support, even if it was only one of you, it helped support me finish this. This horrid, ugly, beautiful extension of my life.


It had been a month since the accidental reunion. Prestige and Rarity had managed to keep distance throughout Sapphire’s album production, but with such close proximity, they were bound to meet again. Rarity would not admit to seeing him though, locking herself in her workshop. She needed to complete her task. She needed to complete her dream, and Prestige wasn’t going to get in the way of that. Her isolation took her designs to a complete alternate level. Rarity was experimenting with anything, and everything she could. She had made dresses for all occasions; parties, award ceremonies, casual wear, comfort. Each elicited an emotional response, each different to whoever saw them, their unique shape, the color, and the folds. These dresses were beautiful. They were Rarity. It had not dawned on her, but she wasn’t making dresses for Sapphire anymore, she was making these dresses for herself. Rarity could not stop thinking about Prestige and what he meant. She was stuck between who she was, and who she wanted to be, and this pained her deeply. Her face and attitude was stone-cold, but her soul wreaked of agony.

Fluttershy grew weary of Rarity’s behavior. She had stopped regularly eating and sleeping. Countless nights, Fluttershy would wake up to Rarity not in her bed. Some nights, when she was brave enough, would venture out of their room and look for her. Rarity would be sunk deep within the couch in Sapphire’s living room staring deep into the distance of the Manehattan skyline. On other nights, Fluttershy would encourage Rarity to sleep in the room, but her aims were soon smashed when she found out that Rarity was experiencing night terrors. Rarity would wake up screaming, covered in a clammy sweat, unable to breathe. It couldn’t keep going on, both of them knew this. But Rarity, against her strong will, would not admit that her problems were from Prestige. Fluttershy couldn’t ignore her friend’s anguish anymore. It was time to intervene.

***

Late one evening, Fluttershy, Rarity and Sapphire were planning on concluding the night. It had been a lazy evening, filled with nothing more than light dinner conversation and idle relaxing in the living room. Fluttershy was in the kitchen preparing chamomile tea for all of them, taking as much time as she needed to perfect the beverage.

“Oh no!” Fluttershy muttered.

“What is it?” Rarity returned.

“Oh,” Fluttershy replied, “its nothing really. Its just…”

“Just what?” Rarity interrupted.

“We’re out of sugar for the tea,” she squeaked in a defensive scare.

“Oh…” Rarity trailed off, “…that’s unfortunate…”

“Actually, Rarity,” Fluttershy started to reply, “I was wondering if you could run down to the market and pick some up… I mean, if that’s okay with you?”

Rarity gave Fluttershy a bitter expression, but eventually conceded to her request. She pulled herself up from the couch and slouched around the room until she was ready to leave. Sapphire was watching her the entire time with a cautious eye. She, too, had been picking up on Rarity’s irrational behavior. After a painful five minutes of dragged feet, Rarity finally left the loft to get the sugar. Fluttershy’s plan was starting to unfold. She bound over the marble island table and made her way to Sapphire.

“We need to talk,” she said straightforward.

“If it’s about Rarity, I know what you’re going to ask,” Sapphire replied.

‘Then you know I won’t give up until you can get Prestige over here. They need to talk,” Fluttershy stated.

“You do realize you are playing with fire here, right?” Sapphire questioned.

“Sometimes, it takes a bigger fire to put the other out,” she replied with a smirk on her face.

***

The room was covered by a heavy shade. The only light that was visible crept around the curtains onto a minimalist bedroom. The wallpaper was peeling, and the room was a mess. Leftover orange chicken from the night before was left in a doggie bag on the clothes drawer. Prestige was lying against the frame of his bed, blasting music into his giant headphones. A minor vibration could be felt through the floor as Prestige’s cellphone broke the darkness. The blue aura of the phone caught his eye. He leaned in to answer it and saw it was Sapphire. Hesitating, Prestige answered the phone.

“I think its about time you come over…” the voice over the phone said. Prestige held the phone against his temple and sighed. He knew this day would come; he had been preparing it ever since the day he left.

“I’ll be over soon…” he replied. There was a click, then dial tone.

“It’s time to be the stallion you are, and face the colt that you were,” he muttered to himself.

***

The night had progressed; Fluttershy and Sapphire had made their way to bed, and had full intention on staying there. Their plan had to work. It was the only way to save Rarity. Rarity, meanwhile, was still in the living room, but this time flipping through her sketchpad. Updating and remodeling her dresses, the only thing she cared about.

A sharp knock at the front door caught her attention. Who could be calling at such an hour, she thought to herself. The white unicorn slowly made her way to the door. She looked through the peephole and saw the same familiar ruby – it was Prestige. Rarity cursed under her breath, but then slowly opened the door.

“What is it that you want, Prestige?” She threw at him.

“To talk,” he replied softly. “That is, if you’ll let me.”

She stared at him, all of her past anger filling her body, but she couldn’t let this opportunity slip. Maybe he would open up and make a complete fool of himself, a sweet revenge for all of her suffering. She shuffled to the side of the door and quietly invited him in. He meandered into the loft, and slowly made his way over to the kitchen island table. He pulled up a chair and sat down. Rarity hovered over him in the kitchen.

“Thanks for lettin-,” Prestige was interrupted.

“Let’s get past the niceties and get to the matter at hand, Prestige,” she snapped back at him.

Prestige bore a blank stare. It was all unfolding unlike he had expected. He expected crying, he expected a tantrum, and he expected anything but her being content with the situation.

“Rarity, I…” Prestige hesitated. “When I left… I was in a rough spot. Everything in my life had changed, not once but twice. I left Manehattan because I was afraid of what I was turning into. I was losing everything. And when I got to Ponyville, I didn’t expect I would be just as afraid as I was in Manehattan.”

He caught Rarity’s attention. She had stopped ignoring eye contact and was staring straight into his eyes. The mare could feel his warm sight in her again. It was a familiar comfort that she adored.

“Rarity, I was scared of what we were becoming,” he blurted out.

“What?” She replied confused. “But I thought we had something. We we’re something special!”

“It was more than something. It was amazing…” he said over a slight smile. “I didn’t know what to do. I grew up where no one ever cared about me. My parents didn’t bother, my friends destroyed my life. But you… you saved my life…”

Rarity began to tear up; she had no idea that she meant just as much to him as he had to her. Prestige stood up and began to pace the room in panic. It was too surreal for him. Rarity rushed over to him and caressed him. Prestige started weeping into her shoulder.

“I… never had someone… who cared about me for… me,” he said muffled.

Her heart broke at that. They both collapsed to the kitchen floor in agony and relief. They were lying on the floor, face to face with each other.

“I never meant to hurt you… you saved me…” Prestige whispered.

She smirked at him. A slight giggle erupted, making them more comfortable with each other.

“I missed you so much,” she tenderly said. She leaned in to rub her muzzle against his. They made contact, but Prestige pulled back shortly after.

“I owe you my life… and because of that, I am saving you…” Prestige said as he stood up.

Rarity pulled herself up from the floor. The white mare whipped her tears aside and looked at Prestige.

“You’re tormented soul is no longer yours. It’s a part of mine, too,” she said. “But just like yours, you have mine.”

Prestige cocked his head in her direction. He was lost. The stallion anticipated flames from the young unicorn.

“Let it serve as a beacon, Prestige.” She finished. Rarity was done with talking to Prestige. Something had changed, Rarity was no longer in angst. She turned around and began to head up the stairs to her room. Fluttershy stood in the archway acting oblivious to the situation. Rarity passed the pegasi and grabbed her suitcase.

“Come on, dear,” Rarity said. “I think I about ready to return back home. Back to Ponyville.”

Rarity gave Fluttershy a satisfied smile and continued packing. Fluttershy and Rarity emptied out the room, and moved out to the street. While waiting for a taxi, Rarity noticed she had grabbed the sketchpad. She pulled it out and began to flip through her dresses. They didn’t belong back in Ponyville, they belonged in Manehattan. Rarity turned around to the apartment building and pranced over to the mailboxes. Grabbing a pen, she flipped open the first page of the sketchpad.

I cannot stay in Manehattan any longer.
These dresses are more than just dresses
They can be the embodiment of your soul
Rectifying or frightening.
Take care,
Rarity

She slid the sketchpad into Sapphire’s mailbox without a second thought. Liberating, she thought. Fluttershy called for Rarity, the taxi must have arrived. Upon waltzing outside, the air seemed cleaner.

“Ready, Rarity?” Fluttershy said.

“My dear,” Rarity said, “I have never wanted to be home more than I do now.”

She peered out the window, and took one last look at Sapphire’s apartment. The silhouette of Prestige could be seen. His head was leaning against the window. Things were different now, he watched Rarity leave his life, for the last time. The white mare cocked her head up into the sunlight, and saw a brighter new world.

Prestige had aimed to make an effort to change. Rarity had been expecting some elaborate explanation, which is exactly what she had gotten. However, it wasn’t his justification she was wanting. It was hers to him. She had carried Prestige with her ever since he left Ponyville. But so had Prestige. As feeble and immature his decision was, she had faced closure. Prestige’s grasp on her was broken. She was free. Finally free. Hopefully he would be, too. His imprisonment in his own heart kept him from being happy. But, if he were to unlock that part of his soul again, he would save himself. Their relationship was to act as a beacon of hope for Prestige, a blinking light in a vast sea of darkness. And just beyond the light, you can see the coastline.

Comments ( 1 )

I hope they don't crash and burn

Login or register to comment