• Published 30th Jul 2011
  • 4,281 Views, 28 Comments

A Renowned Reputation - JordanJwoww



Rarity is confronted with a business deal of a lifetime. However, it requires her to be in Manehattan, which brings back memories from long

  • ...
6
 28
 4,281

Ch. 4 A Very Busy Night

The carriage was working its way through downtown Manehattan. Rarity and Fluttershy both stuck their head out of the windows to capture the full vibrancy of the city. In the distance, they could see the Mare of Liberty, overlooking the entire city. Fluttershy was entranced with the beauty of the city. Everything seems so different from what she was used to. The concrete, the skyscrapers, the buzz of the city. Fluttershy liked it. Rarity was more focused on Mane Street. Down there she could see the best designs of the season. Everything from American Pony to Prancing Prada. She had reached her dream, and she was going to make the best of it. But then, something caught her eye. She darted her eyes up to see a billboard that had a unicorn stallion with a red mane posing. Rarity closed her eyes and shook her head to make sure that she wasn’t seeing things. When she looked up though, they had turned the corner and were out of sight of the billboard. Rarity pondered for a few seconds, but then pulled herself together, it was very unlikely that the unicorn was Prestige.

“I swear, honey. If you keep leering out that window you’re gonna give yourself a hernia!” Sapphire said with zest.

“Pardon me, Sapphire. I’m just...” Rarity was looking for her words, “admiring the beauty of such a chic city! I do not understand why I had not moved here sooner!”

“Well be prepared for a blast!” Sapphire said with equal energy. “Tonight we are tearing apart Manehattan. Us three mares will show the Big Apple what we’re capable of!” Sapphire was grinning beyond belief. Rarity looked over at Fluttershy, who threw her a nervous, yet enthusiastic smile. It began to dawn on Rarity that Fluttershy had never been to the city before. Everything was a lot more different than her quiet, suburban upbringing. She gave Fluttershy a comforting look, something that helped ease her anxiety of the night.

The carriage pulled up to a downtown loft around seven or eight, it was difficult to tell the time due to the city lights casting an orange glow across the sky. The mares hopped out of the carriage and proceeded to enter the complex. A doorhoof stood by and helped usher them in. Rarity and Fluttershy walked into a vast and intricate loft. The skyline was beautiful, and as the sun was setting off in the distance, the orange glow of the city, and the ruby shine of the sun made a palette of colors cascade across the heavens.

“Girls! We have a big night planned ahead of us! I need you up and ready in 15 minutes!” Sapphire bellowed. “People to meet, things to do, SO MUCH AT OUR DISPOSAL!” She ended with a harmonious jingle in her voice.

Fluttershy and Rarity looked around again at the amazing room, then flopped onto the couches near the penthouse window. Rarity looked over at Fluttershy, a small bead of sweat had begun to form at the top of Fluttershy’s forehead. She was about to face a new world.

“My dear,” Rarity began to comfort her, “the big city may seem daunting, but it’s nothing to fear. The greatest of possibilities can come from here!”
Fluttershy hovered in response, still very anxious, but she had to conform. They we’re in Manehattan. She shouldn’t let her fear get the best of her. From upstairs, the two mares could hear Sapphire calling them.

“Hurry up, girls! We’re heading out to Le Chez for dinner. Then afterwards... who knows!” Sapphire said with energy.

***

After a slow dinner, Sapphire seemed rather unenthusiastic… for once. She kept checking her watch and making fairly irritated noises. After a while, she simply blurted out,

“Ladies… I think we should call it a night. I am very tired, and I need you two rested for tomorrow.” Sapphire gave Rarity and Fluttershy a stern look. As Sapphire walked away from the two of them, Fluttershy threw Rarity a rather pleased look.

“We sure tore up Manehattan,” she said softly. “I didn’t know partying could be so easy!”

Rarity smirked at Fluttershy for her cute ignorance. She then looked up to see Sapphire walking far ahead of them, having a rather impatient look on her. She didn’t want to keep her client waiting. The three of them ventured quietly back to the penthouse. As they got closer and closer, a low bass thud could be heard throughout the street. Finally when they reached the penthouse building, it was obvious there was a party commencing at someone’s flat. Hopefully it wouldn’t bother Rarity, as she had to start working on Sapphire’s advertising cocktail dress. She had a few ideas running through her mind, but she needed to sleep on them.

The three mares entered the penthouse elevator. They squeezed their way in between several other ponies attempting to get to this party. The elevator had risen several floors, and the bass kept getting louder. As the elevator stopped at Sapphire’s loft, music was seeping out from underneath the doors. Sapphire could be heard giggling from the back of the elevator… then Rarity had caught on. They had been lured out so that Sapphire could get the loft ready.

“You really know how to be devious,” Rarity said in a rather cheeky tone.

“Well, Miss Rarity, where would all the fun be?” Sapphire said in her usual bouncy attitude.

“Wait…” Fluttershy said anxiously, “There’s more?”

Both Rarity and Sapphire chuckled at Fluttershy’s confusion. She had a lot to learn about living the Manehattanite life. The party was packed with socialites, big shots and some of Sapphire’s old friends. Rarity meandered around the party, talking to ponies she admired, and those that she crushed on. The stallions in Manehattan had certain appeal to them that she was very intrigued by. The party was filled with live music, courtesy of Sapphire’s partner the all-famous DJ-Pon3.

“Sapphire,” Rarity exclaimed, “I didn’t know that you were working with DJ-Pon3! Is she going to be needed costume changes? Because I would be more than happy to help with th-“ She got interrupted.

“My dear, I’ve know the DJ for a long time. Back when she was known as Vinyl Scratch. But I wouldn’t worry about her. She doesn’t tend to worry about dressing up and making an appearance.” She then leaned forward and whispered, “which is a little weird for my tastes.” Sapphire winked at her and then gave a deep bellied laugh.

“But don’t you worry about it! Tonight she and her guest will be the entertainment tonight.” Sapphire stated.

“Who’s supposed to be the elusive guest?” Rarity asked.

“His name’s One Trick Pony. You heard of him?” Sapphire returned.

“No... I’m afraid not…” she said with a hint of remorse.

“He’s fairly new to the market, but let me say, the kid’s got talent. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a big shot. We’ll see him later tonight.” Sapphire replied.

The party was well furbished, and Fluttershy was finally coming into her own. She had originally hid out by the punchbowl, trying to avoid contact, but after having a couple of cups of punch, she relaxed and began letting loose. Maybe even a little too loose. An Abercombie and Filly model came up to Rarity and warned her that Fluttershy might feel a little sick tomorrow if she keeps up drinking that much punch. Rarity could only remember the first time she cut back, and it made her laugh. A rather mellow, male voice filled the air of the party. It had a great soothing effect, raising the hair on the back of Rarity’s neck. It was comforting, and almost familiar. It took her back to Ponyville, in springtime…

“We’ve been seeing each other for over a month,” Rarity began, “and you still haven’t told me what your cutie mark means.” Rarity said playfully. Prestige and Rarity lay underneath a tree as the sun loomed just above the horizon.

“I’d hope that you’d have some common courtesy to tell me what it means,” she teased him. Prestige smiled at her, then looked down at his flank. He stared at the eighth note and began to collect his words.

“I haven’t really told anypony about my cutie mark, or what it means…” Prestige said. “I’ve never felt comfortable enough to tell anyone.”

They both sat underneath the tree for a while. A heavy pause held in the air as Rarity and Prestige watched the sunset. After about three minutes, Prestige started humming a tune. It started off soft, then began to pick up with bravado. He then began to sing.

“I’ve been searching long,
All across the world a-wide,
And I know that it’d be wrong
That once all was well I would hide.

It seems that love has a way
To pull us through it all
In a way that I won’t stray
To avoid the fall

I am full
I am complete
With you…”

Rarity sat up and looked into Prestige’s eyes. The melody rang through the meadows of Ponyville. The sun had just set, and the air began to cool. But that was okay, because Prestige had opened up to her, opened up to anybody for the first time, about his special talent. He was almost embraced by it.
“That was.... heavenly,” Rarity whispered into the colt’s ear. A big grin shot across his face. She pressed her muzzle against his chin, and listened to him sing for the rest of the night.

“Miss Rarity!” Sapphire shouted from across the room. “Come here and watch this. This stallion’s got lungs on him!”

Rarity came to. Her head was in a spin, she probably had had too much of Sapphire’s punch. She walked over to the kitchen and filled up a glass of water for herself. The DJ put on a soothing trance track, and a male voice came back onto the mic. One Trick Pony definitely had a great voice. She decided to check out this upcoming prodigy. Rarity pushed her way through the crowd, looking for the small stage in which DJ and One Trick were. She was pushing her way up to the front, and that’s when she saw something all too familiar. The ruby-red mane, the build body, the defining unicorn horn, a single eighth note cutie mark. It was Prestige. Rarity stared intensely at the colt. No, he wasn’t a colt anymore, he was a stallion. It was too overwhelming for her. The mix of the punch and the shock became to much, the last thing she remembered were shocked screams and Prestige looking directly at her. Her world went black.