• Published 30th Jul 2011
  • 4,282 Views, 28 Comments

A Renowned Reputation - JordanJwoww



Rarity is confronted with a business deal of a lifetime. However, it requires her to be in Manehattan, which brings back memories from long

  • ...
6
 28
 4,282

Ch.1 The Deal

Today was something different... at least, some what. The day began bright and early following the typical routine Rarity enjoyed so much. At 8:00 she’d get up, and by 8:15 she would have already uncurled her hair from the night before. Everything was about presentation. Everyone knew that. By 8:30 she had already finished all of her morning chores and was out to Sugar Cube Corner to get her morning breakfast, a bagel with a fresh tomato on top followed by a healthy serving of wheat-grass tea. After her slow and relaxing breakfast, she made her way back to the boutique. Plenty of time, she thought, I don’t need to rush just yet, I still have enough time to keep lady-like.

During her walk back to the boutique, something triggered her mind, she kept having memories of that night. That one night where everything changed. She could remember running through Ponyville, desperately hoping to set things right. But she couldn’t, she wasn’t ready then, and she thought to herself that she still wasn’t ready now. She stopped for a moment at the town bridge. She stood there and thought to herself, what if she had been better? Would things have turned out different? She walked up to the banister of the bridge and looked down at the water. She could see through the water, but when Rainbow Dash cleared the skies, the sun showed Rarity’s reflection. She looked down on it and saw that something was missing. Something was missing from her, and she knew it. Rainbow Dash quickly dived down to see a melancholic Rarity staring into the water.

“Feelin’ glum, chum?” Rainbow asked from the sky.

“What?” Rarity replied with a shock. “Oh, I was just... looking to see if my hair was alright.” Rarity gave Rainbow a smile, but Rainbow could that tell that it was easily fake.

“Riiight...” Rainbow said. “Well, usually when I’m feeling down I like to do something that cheers me up... like stunts!” Rainbow shot up into the air and started to perform her loops and dives. Rainbow then began to do an epic dive, but she missed her upturn and flew right into the river.
Rarity gasped and ran to the edge to see if she survived her crash.

“My dear, are you alrigh-” Rarity choked on her words as she peered into the water.

“Geez, chill out, Rarity, its not like it the first time I’ve bailed out before.” Dash snorted. “But, you know, you don’t need to worry so much, it’ll give you wrinkles, or whatever you worry about.”

“I’m sorry, I’m just having... one of those days,” Rarity said quietly.

“Okay, Rarity,” Dash said, “I’ll just leave you alone for a while.” Rainbow pulled herself out of the water and dashed off into the air.

Rarity waited for Rainbow to disappear in the distance. She knew if she explained to Dash why she gasped, it would have been highly awkward. It had nothing to do with Rainbow’s bailout, it was what was in the water. Rarity was staring at a ruby amulet that was somewhat buried in the silt. Using her magic, Rarity was able to pull it out of the water. She stared at it deeply, remembering when she threw the amulet into the river. It was on that dark night, where she lost faith in everything. Maybe, just maybe, it was time to move on. She picked up the ruby amulet and carried it back to the boutique. She hadn’t thought about that night in years, and it was time to forget. She stared deeply into the amulet, getting lost in the iridescence of the ruby, reminding her of that beautiful ruby mane. She meandered her way back to her boutique, forgetting about her schedule... it wasn’t that important... was it? It was 9:00, she would have to pick up her pace.

Rarity had a large shipment that had to be sent out to Sapphire Shores and she did not want to disappoint her faithful customer. After all, it was Sapphire Shores who said that Rarity was to be one of the biggest hits to happen to Equestria this year. But, if only Rarity had had enough time to work on the dresses. It was simply too much for her to handle in one day, but being Rarity, she stubbornly put her head to work. 9:15, a knock came from her door. A slightly startled look came across her face, but only because it broke her concentration. It was obviously Fluttershy returning Opalescence from her weekly grooming.

“Come on in, Fluttershy. I am a little busy, but the front door is unlocked,” Rarity announced across the room. Fluttershy flew her way in with Opalescence in her secure basket. She placed the basket down and went over to meet her friend. Opal, following directly after Rarity’s personality, elegantly hopped out of the basket and made her way over to her pillow in the leisure section of the boutique. There, she fell asleep and began to purr softly.

“Rarity,” Fluttershy started, “I was going to ask you if we’re still going to the spa today...” she began to trail off. “But... you know... if you’re too busy for that...”

“I am sorry, dear,” Rarity interrupted, “but I have to get these dresses done for Ms. Shores as soon as ponyly possible.”

Fluttershy looked around the room, almost as if she was embarrassed to ask such a foolish question. “Well... okay then, I’ll just be on my wa-”

“Nonsense, my dear.” Rarity interrupted again. “Just because I cannot leave the boutique does not mean we cannot spend time with each other. Here,” she handed Fluttershy a dress, “You are about the size of Ms. Shores, I would love it if you would slip into this and help me.” From the look of things, it seems that Rarity had won Fluttershy over again.

It had been a few hours, and the girls where enjoying themselves too much. With Fluttershy’s help, Rarity had managed to finish the dresses up quicker than expected, but because she was afraid Fluttershy might leave, she pretended that she had a few more to make. Both of them were having a great time, and even after a while, the dressmaking became slowly forgotten that day.

“Oh dear!” Rarity burst, “what’s the time?”
Fluttershy looked at her with a sense of shock, and peered out the window to see the clock tower. “It’s about 9:30,” she said softly.

“OH MY! OH NO! THIS IS NOT GOOD!” Rarity started to panic. “Ms. Shores wanted her dresses delivered to her in Manehattan by 8! I don’t know what to do. Oh this is my worst nightmare.”

Fluttershy dug her head into her shoulder, “I’m so sorry, Rarity” she began to whisper, “If it wasn’t for me staying, you wouldn’t have missed your deadline.”
“Don’t talk like that, Fluttershy, it was not your fault. It’s all mine. Quickly help me get these dresses packed. Hopefully we can drop them off without Ms. Shores noticing they’re la-”

A loud knocking came from the front door of the boutique. Before Rarity could rush over and open the door, it popped itself open with Sapphire Shores poking her head in. A quick squeak came from Fluttershy, and Rarity was trying to find her words.

“Sapphire... I mean, Ms Shores... how nice of yo- I mean, I’m sorry tha-, no what I mean to say...” Rarity was tripping up her excuses.

“Calm yourself, dear,” Sapphire said, “When you didn’t show up, I got worried that my little superstar got hurt. I came to see if everything was alright.”

Rarity looked up at Sapphire. To her surprise, Sapphire was grinning at the little mare. She was not upset at all. Sweet relief fell over Rarity.

“Now, let me see your new masterpieces,” Sapphire bellowed out.

“Of course,” Rarity replied in a capricious manner, “Fluttershy, could you be a dear and model these dresses for Ms. Shores?”

Fluttershy quietly accepted Rarity’s request and began to outfit herself in one of Rarity’s more appealing dresses. In the meantime, Rarity and Sapphire moved over to the leisure section of the boutique and began to talk about her plans on her upcoming album.

After an hour of Fluttershy modelling Rarity’s creations, Sapphire requested that the ponies sit down so that she could talk to them. Deep inside Rarity could feel butterflies, for she thought Sapphire had not been interested in her dresses. She was trying to keep her cool, but she began to break a slight sweat.

“Mares, I want to ask you something,” Sapphire began, “I absolutely adore these dresses. But...”
Rarity’s heart dropped, Fluttershy dropped her head between her front legs.

“But...” Sapphire continued “My album is about to be advertised, and well... with all the publicity, I want my number one fashionista there!”
“...WHAT?” Rarity looked up with surprise.

“You heard me correct, sugar. I’m asking you to come with me to Manehattan for some time to help promote my album,” Sapphire stated. “And I’m sure if you help me out, there will be great publicity on your work. So tell me, what do you think?”

Rarity looked dumbfounded over at Fluttershy. “Wait, this is too good to be true!” Rarity squealed.

“I’m so happy for you, Rarity” Fluttershy replied.

“Why are you happy just for her?” Sapphire said. Fluttershy looked up confused. “You’re coming too, I’d hope.”

“Oh my, well, I don’t know. I don’t know if I could leave Angel and the others alone for so long,” Fluttershy replied.

“Nonsense, arrangements will be made, they will be fine,” Sapphire reassured Fluttershy.

“Well fillies, I must be going for now, I hope you’ll consider my proposal.” Sapphire smiled at them and paraded her way out the boutique humming a little tune to herself.

Fluttershy looked over at Rarity, who was frozen with the news.

“Oh my gosh, Manehattan. That is so incredible! Oh, I can’t wait to go to Manehattan. This is so exciting,” Fluttershy stated excitedly. “What do you think, Rarity?”

No reply.

“Rarity?”

Rarity stood there, thinking. Her mouth ajar frozen with a shocked look. Her mind was off elsewhere, back many years ago...

Today was a very special day for Rarity. She was finally where she had wanted to be. Everything was fitting into place. She had just opened up her boutique, and was ready to face the world... even if it was right out of Ponyville. Today was going swell. It was in the early evening when Rarity unveiled her boutique, along with her grand celebration. Pinkie Pie had brought her famous rainbow punch and everyone was having a great time. Especially him, the white colt. Rarity made a quick glance over at him, and he gave her a sweet smile. Her heart fluttered. She began to move her way over to the colt, but she was interrupted by a very inquisitive Bon-Bon about the beautiful amulet that Rarity had around her neck. Rarity looked back up, but to see that he had moved on to somewhere else in the boutique.
“Oh my, he really is a gentlecolt to give you such a precious stone.” Bon-Bon began. “I would try to keep him close, he seems to be the most elusive of ponies.”

Rarity gave her a quick smirk, and proceeded to look for that colt. She saw him heading towards the stairs on his way up.

“You really are a lucky filly you know,” Bon-Bon said.

“Excuse me, Bon-Bon, but I must check on Opalescence, she is not one for loud noises,” Rarity stammered to Bon-Bon. Phew, Rarity thought to herself, and went off to look for that white colt. She went upstairs and into the workshop to see that the balcony doors had been opened. Peering around the corner she noticed that the colt was looming over the edge with a solemn look.

“You alright, darling?” Rarity asked.

“Huh, what?” the colt replied. “Oh, yeah. I’m perfectly fine. Just... lost in my own little world.”

“You’re missing out on the festivities, and you know it’s not very gentlecolt-like to keep a lady waiting...” Rarity began.

“I know, its just, these are all your friends, I just feel lost,” he continued.

“Don’t say that, dear,” Rarity stated, “they all love you. Fluttershy says you’re the best thing to happen since bunnies or whatever they where. And you know how attached she is to them.”

“No, Rarity, I don’t. Could you just leave me alone for some time,” the colt broke out. Rarity was shocked. He had never spoken so rashly to her before. It was probably the best idea to leave him alone for the time being. Flustered, she walked back into the workshop. She stopped, turned around and looked back at the colt. He was now resting his head on the banister of the balcony. From what she could best tell, it sounded like he was crying. She shook herself out of that trance and returned to the party.

It was the middle of the night when Rarity heard a crash. She jumped out of bed and quickly rushed down from her bedroom down to the boutique. She scrambled to turn the lights on, and just before she flicked them on, she heard the sound of the front door closing. She turned the lights on to notice that the white colt’s flank-pack was gone, along with his personal items. She looked around the room to search for clues. And there, resting on the coffee table in the leisure room, was a note. Rarity stood there dumbfounded, slowly making her way over to the table. She lifted the note with her horn magic, and read what it said.

Rare... I’m sorry. I can’t stay anymore. Things are too different for us. I feel like I’m in exile here. I don’t know anypony here, and to me, it seems nopony wants to know me. I miss the adrenaline of the big city. I miss how the city is changing, and always vibrant. I thought I could settle down. But I can’t. Not yet. I love you, Rarity... but it’s not the right time... for both of us.

Rarity, in dread, dropped the note and ran outside to look for the colt. He couldn’t have gotten far, she just heard him leave. She ran around Ponyville for hours, looking, hoping, wishing that the colt hadn’t gone. But the worst of her fears had happened. He had left. He’d gone home. It tore Rarity apart. She kept looking for him. But she couldn’t find him anywhere. She went back to the first place they met, the Ponyville bridge. Hoping that everything could be worked out, she ran to the bridge and could saw the silhouette of the white colt.

“HEY!” she shouted.

The colt turned around to look at Rarity. He simply looked at her and said in the somber tone.

“Its... for the... best,” the colt said.

“YOU CANNOT DO THIS TO ME! I NEED YOU!” she screamed.

“No... you don’t. Trust me,” the colt said. He then turned away and started to disappear into the twilight fog. First his ruby-red mane began to fade, then his beige flank-pack. But finally, after a painful desertion, the white of his coat began to fade in the distance. Rarity collapsed on the bridge, lacking breath and beginning to panic. She looked down and saw the ruby amulet he gave her. She ripped it off her neck and flung it as far as she could into the river. The quiet plop of the amulet striking the surface echoed in her mind. She broke down in the middle of the bridge and collapsed completely. She stayed there for hours, forbidding herself to move. The morning dew began to form around her as it slowly started to mess up her hair. He was gone. He was truly gone...
but she was free.

“You’re just as excited as I am. Oh how wonderful,” Fluttershy said.

Fluttershy managed to snap Rarity back into reality. But she couldn’t manage to stay in that state for long, because Rarity couldn’t about the deal. She wasn’t thinking about everything that Sapphire Shores had promised. No, she was thinking about him.
He lived in Manehattan.
Prestige.