• Published 14th May 2016
  • 2,149 Views, 147 Comments

Pony Tails - Bluecatcinema



There are many stories to be found in Equestria...

  • ...
4
 147
 2,149

Mistletoe Mayhem

Once again, it was Hearth's Warming Eve in Ponyville, and a celebration party was being held in Twilight's castle. Practically every pony in Ponyville was in attendance, along with some others from out of town, all enjoying the celebration, which centred around the foyer.

Fluttershy had invited her parents over from Cloudsale. Mr. and Mrs. Shy were currently in awe of the castle's grandeur.

"This is one amazing venue." Mr. Shy smiled.

"Not many ponies back home can say they've been inside a castle." Mrs. Shy agreed.

"It is a very nice place. "Fluttershy admitted. "But you get used to it after a while..."

As Fluttershy and her parents moved through the crowd, they crossed paths with Rainbow Dash.

"Hey, Mr. and Mrs. Shy." Rainbow smiled. "Glad you could make it."

"Well, we couldn't pass up a party at a Princess's castle." Mr. Shy declared.

"Or a chance for our whole family to be together for Hearth's Warming Eve." Mrs. Shy added.

"'Whole family'?" Rainbow frowned. "Does that mean-"

"Hey, Rainbows." Zephyr Breeze suddenly appeared at Rainbow's side, wrapping a hoof around her neck. "Did ya miss me? Of course you did."

"Hey, Zeph." Rainbow rolled her eyes. "Happy Hearth's Warming."

"It is now that I'm with you, Rainbows." Zephyr cooed.

"Oh, don't you two look so adorable together?" Mrs. Shy smiled, still firmly holding on to the (very misguided) belief that Rainbow had been "pining" after Zephyr for years.

"Yeah, sure." Rainbow pulled away from Zephyr. "Too bad I gotta have a private chat with Fluttershy real quick."

"Don't be gone too long, Rainbows." Zephyr winked.

Rainbow groaned as she lightly directed Fluttershy around a corner.

"Did you have to invite Zephyr?" She sighed.

"Of course." Fluttershy nodded. "We're family, remember?"

"You sure about that?" Rainbow joked.

"Come on, Rainbow." Fluttershy rolled her eyes. "It won't be that bad. Besides, I think you can tolerate Zephyr for one night. Right?"

"Yeah, sure." Rainbow shrugged. "One night should be okay."

"Great." Fluttershy smiled. "I should get back to mom and dad. Do you want to come with me?"

"I would, but there's some Hearth's Warming cider with my name all over it." Rainbow grinned. "Maybe later, 'kay?"

"Okay." Fluttershy nodded.

Rainbow made her way to one of several tables that had been set up for refreshments, and helped herself to a cup of hot cider.

'Nothing like hot cider on Hearth's Warming Eve.' She thought, hungrily downing the amber liquid in one go.

"Hey, Rainbows." Zephyr crooned as he appeared out of nowhere, and sidled next to her. "Wondered where you wandered off to..."

"Hey, Zeph." Rainbow said through gritted teeth. "What's up?"

"What's up is I'm about to make your Hearth's Warming dreams come true." Zephyr smirked.

"And how are you gonna pull that off?" Rainbow snorted.

"With this." Zephyr held up a piece of mistletoe.

"...What?" Rainbow froze in revulsion.

"Come on, Rainbows." Zephyr smirked, holding the mistletoe above their heads. "You know the rules. Pucker up."

"Now you're the one who's dreamin'." Rainbow pushed him away.

"One little peck?" Zephyr leaned forward, puckering his lips.

"Nuh-uh." Rainbow put her hoof against the lips. "Not this Hearth's Warming."

Rainbow quickly flew away from Zephyr. Rather than being disappointed by her rejection, Zephyr was emboldened.

"I love it when she plays hard to get..." He smirked.

A short while later, Rainbow was helping herself to some Hearth's Warming cake (courtesy of Pinkie Pie).

"Mm-mmm." Rainbow mumbled, her mouth full. "Good stuff..."

"You like the sweet stuff, don't you?"

"Oh, no..." Rainbow rolled her eyes as Zephyr descended from above, landing next to her.

"I got somethin' real sweet for you right here, Rainbows." He grinned, holding up the mistletoe.

"Sorry, but I think I've had enough sweets for one night." Rainbow walked away.

Moments later, Rainbow had just finished chatting with Flitter when she saw Zephyr leaning in her direction, mistletoe up, and cheek thrust forward.

"Nice try." Rainbow moved to one side, causing Zephyr to tip over and land on his cheek.

Zephyr tried again and again to plant a kiss on Rainbow (or have her kiss him). It wasn't long before Rainbow decided to slip into one of the castle's corridors to avoid another round.

"Finally." She sighed, glancing into the foyer, where Zephyr was nowhere to be seen. "Lost 'im."

As Rainbow turned in the opposite direction, she saw Zephyr standing right in front of her.

"Whoa!" She yelped. "How did you-?"

"What can I say?" Zephyr smirked. "Must be our magnetic personalities attracting us together."

"In your dreams." Rainbow snorted.

"You know, I've always loved this 'playing hard to get' thing of yours." Zephyr grinned.

"Playing hard to what?!" Rainbow spluttered.

"Yeah." Zephyr nodded. "It's kinda cute how you keep pretending like you're not interested when you're obviously crazy about me."

"Crazy? About you?!" Rainbow's eye twitched.

"But seriously Rainbows, why fight it any more?" Zephyr asked. "I know full well you've always wanted to have the Breeze as your main squeeze, so why don't we just knock off all these silly games and seal the deal... with a kiss?"

Zephyr waved the mistletoe over Rainbow's head, flashing the smuggest smirk ever. Rainbow grit her teeth angrily, the last strand holding back her temper finally breaking.

"Okay, that's it!!" She batted away the mistletoe. "No more, you hear me?!"

"Rainbows-" Zephyr started.

"Don't you 'Rainbows' me!" Rainbow jabbed a hoof at him. "Let's get a few things clear, once and for all. I don't like you that way, and I never have! In fact, I barely even regular like you! The only reason I've put up with you for all these years is because you're Fluttershy's brother!"

"I, er..." Zephyr spluttered.

"All those years of putting up with all your cheesy come-ons!" Rainbow yelled. "And the way you always act like I'm the one with a crush on you! Do you have any idea how annoying that is?"

"B-but I-" Zephyr tried to get a word in edgewise.

"And you know what? All this mistletoe nonsense has been the last straw!" Rainbow growled. "Fact is, I'd rather pluck off all my feathers than kiss you! I'd rather kiss the back end of a hydra- A hydra who hasn't bathed in a month! So go away, and leave me alone! Am I making myself clear?!"

Zephyr nodded weakly, his lower lip quivering.

"Always gettin' right to the point, huh, Rainbow?" He said quietly, his barely audible voice cracking. "I've always liked that about you. Y-you want me to go away? Fine. I... I'll go. H-happy Hearth's Warming..."

Zephyr trotted away, utterly devastated.

"It will be now." Rainbow smirked triumphantly. As she turned around, she saw Fluttershy standing before her, an angered expression on her face. "...What?"

"Rainbow Dash, how could you say those things to Zephyr?" Fluttershy glared at her.

"Wait, how'd you know I was here?" Rainbow asked.

"I heard you yelling, and I was worried something was wrong." Fluttershy admitted. "So I came over here to see what was happening, and I heard you saying all those awful things to Zephyr! How could you do that to him?"

"Seriously?" Rainbow growled. "I should've said those things years ago!"

"But don't you see how much you've hurt Zephyr?" Fluttershy asked.

"It's his own fault." Rainbow scoffed. "He should've learned to take 'no' for an answer a long time ago."

"I wasn't exactly a fan of the way he was always trying to woo you either." Fluttershy admitted. "But he never meant any harm by it."

"Well, he sure nearly annoyed me to death." Rainbow pouted.

"But that doesn't mean you had to break his heart like that." Fluttershy declared. "He's always liked you, Rainbow. And hearing all that from the mare he's been crushing on for years wouldn't have made him feel good at all..."

"So what if I hurt his feelings?" Rainbow looked away, mostly to hide the guilty on her face. "He's still an annoying creep!"

"And he's still my brother." Fluttershy declared. "And the last thing I want is for him to be miserable on Hearth's Warming Eve. And I don't think that's what you really want, either."

"Think again." Rainbow scowled.

"Nopony should be sad on Hearth's Warming Eve." Fluttershy told her. "Maybe you can talk to Zephyr? Make him feel a little better?"

"Not a chance." Rainbow crossed her forelegs.

"Please, Rainbow?" Fluttershy urged, moving around to look Rainbow in the eye. "If you won't do it for Zephyr, then can't you do it for me, your friend?"

Fluttershy threw her best puppy dog look at her old friend.

"Urgh... fine!" Rainbow groaned, unable to refuse. "I'll apologize. But you owe me big for this!"

"Thanks, Rainbow." Fluttershy smiled. "You're a really good friend."

"Yeah, I'm great..." Rainbow sighed.

Rainbow searched around the castle, eventually finding Zephyr moping in a corner. The piece of mistletoe was still in his hoof, and he was sadly staring at it.

"Hey, Zeph..." Rainbow said flatly.

"Oh." Zephyr turned around to look at her. "Do you want me to go away again?"

"...No." Rainbow cringed. "Look, I... want to apologize for blowing up at you earlier."

"You do?" Zephyr smiled hopefully. "Like... you didn't mean any of it?"

"More like I only meant some of it." Rainbow told him. "The part about not liking you that way was true. And not to pour salt into the wound, but I don't think I'll ever like you that way."

"Oh." Zephyr frowned. "To the point as always, Rainbow. Nice..."

"Look, Fluttershy is one of my best friends." Rainbow explained. "We've known each other since we were kids. She's almost like family to me. And you're her little brother, which kinda makes you my little brother too. You see how that would make me feel kinda weird, having you hittin' on me all the time?"

"I guess..." Zephyr said sheepishly. "But you've always been the most awesome gal I've ever known, Rainbow. The fastest, the coolest... what stallion wouldn't want to hit on you?"

"I am pretty awesome, aren't I?" Rainbow smirked.

"The awesomest." Zephyr nodded. "It always seemed like you could do anything. You're the most incredible pony around. You can't really blame me for crushing on you. Even if I never had a chance..."

"Sorry." Rainbow sighed. "It's just the way it is."

"No kidding. I'm such a lame-o, thinking I could ever get so much as a kiss from you." Zephyr groaned. "Even on Hearth's Warming Eve..."

Rainbow saw the piece of mistletoe still in Zephyr's hoof, and how glum he was. Gritting her teeth, she made a decision. A decision she feared she might regret...

"Okay, let's do this." She sighed.

"Do... what?" Zephyr asked.

"The whole mistletoe thing." Rainbow said flatly. "Like you said, it's Hearth's Warming Eve."

"Really?" Zephyr stood up. "You mean it?"

"But I have a few conditions." Rainbow declared. "You get to give me one kiss. On the cheek. And don't let it linger longer than a second, you got me?"

"Yes, ma'am." Zephyr grinned. Holding the mistletoe aloft, her pressed his lips against Rainbow's cheek, then pulled it away exactly a second later. "Now that's a great Hearth's Warming gift."

"Yeah, yeah." Rainbow just rolled her eyes. "Just don't try coming back for a second helping."

"Anything you say Rainbows." Zephyr smiled, hugging her. "You are the absolute best, you know that?" He nuzzled his cheek against hers.

"Yeah." Rainbow grimaced. "Hooray for me..."

"Catch ya later, Rainbows!" Zephyr smiled, as he trotted away, happy as could be. "Happy Hearth's Warming!"

"...Sometimes, doing the right thing really bites." Rainbow sighed.

As Rainbow turned around, she saw Fluttershy standing before her, smiling.

"Seriously?" Rainbow frowned. "What is with your family tonight?"

"That was a really nice thing you did for Zephyr." Fluttershy grinned. "You couldn't have gotten him a better Hearth's Warming gift."

"At least I didn't have to shell out any Bits for it." Rainbow shrugged. She rubbed her cheek. "Ugh, that stubble of his felt like sandpaper. Somepony should get him a razor for his birthday..."

"Come on." Fluttershy smiled. "Let's get back to the party."

"With pleasure." Rainbow nodded.

A short while later, Rainbow and Fluttershy were with the rest of their friends, still enjoying the festivities. They had already shared the details of Rainbow's moment under the mistletoe with Zephyr, and were moving on to other topics (at Rainbow's insistence).

"Another great party, Twilight." Rainbow grinned.

"Yes, it's been a marvelous get-together, darling." Rarity agreed.

"Even better than last year's." Starlight added.

"It helps when one of your best friends is Ponyville's top party planner." Twilight grinned.

"Aw, shucks!" Pinkie chuckled. "Just doin' my job!"

"Hey Fluttershy, ain't those yer folks over there?" Applejack pointed. "With Zephyr?"

"Oh, that's right." Fluttershy smiled, as she saw Zephyr talking to their parents from across the room, a wide grin on his face. "Look how happy Zephyr is."

"Yeah, wonder why?" Rainbow smirked proudly.

Rainbow's smirk lessened as she saw Zephyr pointing right at her. To her horror, Mr. Shy patted his son on the back, while Mrs. Shy swooned, a hoof on her chest.

"Oh, no..." Rainbow groaned, as Zephyr winked and blew a kiss at her. "He's probably told them we're going steady, or something gross like that."

"So, when's the weddin'?" Applejack joked.

"Real funny, AJ." Rainbow growled.

"You two would make rather an adorable couple, though." Rarity joined in.

"Ugh, I'm never gonna live this down..." Rainbow groaned.

"I can relate to that feeling." Starlight raised her cup of cider.

"Sorry, Rainbow." Fluttershy suppressed a chuckle. "But on the bright side, you gave Zephyr a happy Hearth's Warming. Isn't that what matters?"

"Yeah, I guess." Rainbow admitted. "But if he ever comes near me with mistletoe again, I'm gonna shove it straight up his nose..."

Rainbow's friends chuckled at her joke. Rainbow, seeing the funny side, laughed too.

"If you can't laugh during Hearth's Warming, when can you?" She smiled.

"My thoughts exactly." Pinkie nodded.

"Happy Hearth's Warming Eve, everypony." twilight smiled.

"Happy Hearth's Warming Eve." The group chorused.

It was indeed a happy Hearth's Warming Eve. Even for Rainbow, who resolved to let Zepyr have his fun for the evening, but fully intended to keep her own promise regarding the mistletoe.

'Sorry, Zeph.' She thought. 'Only one per customer.'