• Published 9th May 2016
  • 4,510 Views, 503 Comments

Quantum Gallop - Goldfur



The youth of House Path are abruptly whisked away to a Ponyville where a tyrant queen rules absolutely, and the alliances with Griffonia and the Changeling Hives have never been forged. Who has changed history and how do they fix it?

  • ...
17
 503
 4,510

Chapter 6 - Different Lives

As usual, the time-travelers were dumped unceremoniously out of the vortex and into reality. Most ended up in a pile on the floor, but Blue Streak sprawled on Twilight’s nearby bed instead. He pushed himself up, looked around, and grinned.

“Score!” he proclaimed happily before he sank back onto the sheets, drained as usual from the time journey. “Wake me up when you need me,” he said drowsily.

As the rest picked themselves up from the floor, Destined said, “I’m going to check on something. I’ll be back in a minute or so.”

The young alicorn stallion teleported out of the room before anyone else could comment.

Pif headed for the balcony. “While Des is doing that, I’m going to see what Canterlot looks like now.”

There were murmurs of agreement and they all went along except Blue. Pif cautiously peered through the glass doors before proceeding outside. She moved to the rail and looked out over the city, adjusting her eyes for keener distance viewing. She was chilled to see Blue Changelings walking amidst the ponies still, but then she realized that there was a significant difference this time. Instead of being in charge of the ponies, they seemed to be either just accompanying them or even doing the work.

Just then, Destined teleported back into the room. He noticed that the rest of the group was out on the balcony, and headed that way. “Good news! Mom’s castle is there in Ponyville. That means that she became an alicorn as she was due to. However, there’s no hive there, although I’m sure I saw some changelings among the ponies. I was looking from a great height to try not to be spotted, so I can’t say what was going on precisely.”

“Probably the same thing that’s happening here,” Cinder replied, pointing down to the streets.

Destined took a look and nodded. He turned to Pif and asked, “Have you been able to connect to the hive-mind and figure out what’s going on yet?”

“I didn’t want to rush into that, but I’m doing so now. Just being cautious,” she replied even as she sought out the comforting link to the hive. She then sent tentative queries before her eyes widened in surprise. “Dad’s in control! He’s the Queen of the Blues! How did that happen if Chrysalis was killed before she even knew Gossamer was alive and well?”

Destined replied, “That’s great news, as long as he’s still the good person we know him to be.”

“Take a look again, Des – don’t they look peaceful to you?” Pif pointed out.

“Let’s go down and have a closer look,” Citrine suggested.

Destined looked at Cinder who rolled her eyes. “Yeah, yeah, I know: hide the conspicuous dragon. Go on! I’ll stay here with Blue.”

Destined nodded and lit up his horn. His wings disappeared under an illusion, and then moments later, he, Pif, and Citrine reappeared in a quiet alleyway. He looked around, satisfied to see that their arrival had been unobserved. “Okay, let’s go, but don’t make any assumptions just because things look normal except for the Blues.”

They walked nonchalantly out into the main street and went with the flow. They were almost disappointed that everything seemed mostly normal. After about a quarter of an hour, they stopped in a public park and settled down on the grass to discuss what they had observed.

Pif started first. “Between what we’ve seen and what I have gleaned from my cautious queries, the Blue Changelings seem to be in a symbiotic relationship with the ponies. They’re providing help and companionship in return for sustenance in the form of love and other positive emotion energy. It’s actually a pretty good set-up, although though not as ideal as the equality that the Council of Queens, the Princesses, and House Path have worked toward. I’m very curious how that came about.”

“Well, while you were focused on the changelings,” Destined said, “I’ve been looking for other differences. There’s a much stronger military presence here in Canterlot, although nopony seems to be too concerned about it at this time.”

“Did neither of you notice that the Blue Changelings are the only ones that you can see?” Citrine asked.

Pif blushed a little in embarrassment. “A-heh. I was too focused on my hive. But you’re right, there’s… urgh!

“What’s wrong?” Citrine’s brow wrinkled in concern.

“N-nothing! Nothing except Queen Gossamer just detected me and pinged me hard. I blocked her, but I’m shut out from more info gathering for the moment.”

Destined got up to his hooves. “Time to go back to the castle, I reckon.”

“Let’s grab something for Blue to eat first until we can all have a meal somewhere,” Pif recommended.

One quick stop at a food stall later, and they were soon back at the castle. After passing the food to Cinder who tended to her mate, the three settled down on the luxurious rug. Destined and Pif faced Citrine who knew that she was going to be lectured, but she stared defiantly back.

“This is not our time,” Destined started. “It is not our future. The critical point in history occurred after several other significant events, thus why Mom is still an alicorn princess. However, without Chrysalis, the invasion of the Crystal City never occurred, and so many deaths never happened, including those of Citrine’s friends. This is a very good thing.”

Citrine was surprised by this candid admission, but held her tongue as she felt there would be more. She was not disappointed.

Destined continued. “However, without the fight with Chrysalis in Canterlot, and the subsequent repulsion of all the Blues from the city, significant changes have been made. I’m postulating that the lack of visible changelings from other hives means that they were never exposed, and that would also mean that Papa Free was never revealed as being a changeling. Seeing as this was a major factor that eventually led to the formation of House Path, it stands to reason that Mom, Dad, and Papa Free never became part of a herd, and never had any children. In this future, Pif and I would never have been conceived.”

Citrine wilted at that revelation, but still kept sullenly quiet; a far cry from her normal boisterous and opinionated self.

Pif took up the lecture. “Worse yet, House Path had contributed enormously to the furthering of peaceful relationships between other nations, especially Griffonia. The House was also responsible for freeing the pony slaves there, as well as ameliorating the influence of the warlike nobles. King Glimfeather often talked about the narrow line that he flew to balance out the aggressive faction, and the peacemaking efforts that he had been engaged in for a couple of decades before House Path existed. Who knows how that has been affected now?”

Citrine finally spoke up defiantly. “You can’t know that it’s gone bad. You do know that my posse should still be alive. What gives you the right to choose the future?”

Destined frowned. “Citrine, we’re not choosing the future – we’re restoring it as best we can. Your very existence shows that we’re not perfect at that because you should have died too. But in the end, we achieved an optimum result, with the greatest benefits overall, not to mention our very existence.”

“I’m not arguing about that! I’m saying that you don’t know that this future is bad – you’re only speculating.”

Destined looked at Pif who nodded. “She’s right – we are speculating, even if the evidence is strong. We need to confirm our suspicions before we make our conclusions. However…” Pif turned to frown at Citrine, “we will do what is best for the world, no matter the pain it might cause you… or me.”

Once again, Citrine looked uncertain. “Pif… I… I don’t want to see you hurt, and I know you’re only trying to do the right thing, but I had to do this, don’t you see? Even if it made you angry with me. Frankly I don’t know why you’re not shouting at me and telling me how wrong I am.”

Destined snorted. “Trust me – she’s angry, and I’m furious, but it’s because we do understand that we won’t be putting you somewhere that you can’t interfere with us while we go back and try again. But I’m a Prince of Equestria, even if I don’t really want to be, and that means that I have a responsibility to all citizens of Equestria and its allies. That means that we will be investigating this timeline before we act, and if things are better off this way, then we’ll consider changing our plans. That’s the best that I can do for you, Citrine, so don’t get your hopes up too high.”

Citrine nodded. “Thanks anyway.”

Destined turned to Pif. “I suggest we seek out Dad and Papa Free. We might get a good idea of what happened after history diverged.”

“What if Free recognizes me?” Pif asked.

“He, or maybe she now, has already sensed you, so perhaps it won’t matter. If we need to reset history, the point will be moot, and if we don’t – well, I reckon you might need some family.”

“I have you and Blue – I’m not lacking for family.”

Destined smiled. “Thanks, sis. I think I’d want to have Papa Free though also.”

“So how do we go about finding them?”

“We can try looking at the apartment where they were living during Chrysalis’ invasion?”

“That’s a good idea. Then there are the places where they worked.”

“How about I go take a quick look at the apartment first?” Destined suggested. “I can do that in a minute.”

“Makes sense. I wish I could teleport as readily as you can.”

Destined smirked. “Hey, only one of us can be the Alicorn of Time and Space!” he said with a wink.

Pif’s magic flared, and she changed into a duplicate of Destined. “Only one of us can be the Alicorn of Smart Flank,” Pif said in Destined’s smug voice.

Destined poked out his tongue at Pif and disappeared in a flash.

Pif resumed her normal ponyling form and sighed. “Yeah, so envious,” she admitted.

Sooner than expected, Destined reappeared.

“Well, that’s a bust. Somepony else is living there now.”

“So, should we try the gymnasium where Papa Free used to work, or try to track down Dad next?”

Blue suddenly spoke up. “I want to be there when you meet Dad.”

Destined looked at Blue with concern. “You’re still too exhausted from the time trip.”

“Then put it off until tomorrow. I’ll have recovered enough by then. It’s not as if we have to know right now. Time is on our side at the moment.”

“You have a point. Okay, I’ll see if I can find Papa Free at his old gymnasium, but we can try to find Dad tomorrow.” Destined’s horn lit up and once again he teleported away.

“Show-off,” Pif grumbled before she headed over to a sofa and sprawled upon it.

Citrine walked up to the sofa and hesitantly asked, “May I join you?”

Pif’s eyebrow lifted in curious surprise. “You’ve never bother asking before.”

“I’m not certain I’d be welcome this time.”

Pif sighed. “Citrine, I might be mad at you, but I don’t hate you for what you did.”

“So, is that a yes?”

“Oh, for buck’s sake! Get up here! I could do with a cuddle.”

Citrine wasted no time in getting up next to Pif and cuddling up to her. Pif immediately tasted the sweet affection that Citrine was oozing.

Pif eyed the crystal pony uncertainly. “What that changeling guard said when we entered the castle – he could taste your love for me; is that what you truly feel for me?”

“I… I like you, Pif. I liked you from the day we met. But I don’t even know what it is to love somepony.”

“But you don’t like me enough to correct history so that I will be conceived?”

“You don’t know that! Path and Free could have become mates in this timeline too!”

Pif nodded. “That’s a possibility, but would I be the same Pif? Would I be the changeling princess that you found attractive? If this hypothetical Pif was raised by Queen Gossamer differently, would that Pif find you desirable?”

“You find me desirable?” Citrine asked hopefully.

“There must be something that I like about you that I find attractive, or else I wouldn’t let you keep dragging me away from my work so often.”

Citrine’s long-absent grin returned at last. “Making ponies get a life is my specialty.”

Pif chuckled briefly. “Yeah, that’s true. And perhaps it’s something that I really needed in spite of what I used to think.”

“I think you do,” Citrine said, leaning in to nuzzle Pif, only to have the changeling’s hoof push her head away.

“But right now, I’m still mad at you.”

Citrine sighed and settled for cozying up to Pif.

Cinder chuckled darkly. “I can’t say I blame her. However, while there’s a small chance that Path and Free mated in this timeline, there’s virtually none that Blue and I met.” Her expression turned deadly serious. “I won’t let you take him away from me that easily, Citrine!”

The crystal pony hardly knew the meaning of fear, but even she was a little cowed by Cinder’s draconic intensity. She gulped and said, “Understood, Cinder.”

Cinder nodded before cuddling up to her mate once more. Blue had succumbed to fatigue by this time, but even in his sleep, he smiled slightly at the warm contact.

They waited in silence for Destined’s return, and eventually the stallion reappeared in the middle of the room.

“Well, did you have any success?” Pif asked.

“It took me a while to find the place; after all Papa Free might have mentioned it to us, but he never bothered showing it to us. Anyway, I managed to track down the manager and asked him if he knew Free Agent. I was informed that, and I quote, ‘the miserable ingrate quit and started his own gymnasium’. When I asked where, I was told in no uncertain terms that he was not in the business of steering potential customers towards his competitors. That’s when he slammed the door in my face.”

“Ouch. It makes me wonder if there was something that caused them to have a falling out,” Pif speculated.

Destined shrugged. “Maybe. Anyway, while I don’t know exactly where yet, at least we know what to look for.”

Pif said, “We can do that tomorrow while we go looking for Dad. I think we should rest up for now though. We can go out for dinner in a few hours. Blue should have recovered enough to accompany us then.”

“Sounds like a plan. I need to destress for a while anyway. I think I’ll take a shower.”

“Just don’t sing like you usually do. You don’t want to attract the castle staff with your caterwauling.”

“Oh, ha-ha. Silk Touch reckoned that I sung very well at that charity karaoke event last week.”

“So you went out on a date with him?” Pif asked with a smirk.

“I keep telling you – he’s just a friend, not a coltfriend!” Destined exclaimed before stalking off to Twilight’s personal en suite bathroom.

Citrine grinned and said, “You just love getting a rise out of him, don’t you?”

“Pfft! He’s too easy,” Pif replied.

“So, does he really like Silk Touch?”

“More than he will even admit to himself.”

“Want me to give them a nudge?”

“What? And spoil my fun? I’m really enjoying the way he keeps dancing around the idea and thinks he’s keeping something hidden from me. I’m his sister and know him too well. I don’t even need my changeling abilities to tell that.”

“Then how come it took until now before you realized how I feel about you?”

Pif’s grin faded. “Maybe I don’t know myself as well as I should either. I don’t know how to feel about that, Citrine. I’m not a pony, even if we share much in common. Loving a changeling is a very different thing.”

“Is it? You might be right, and I know next to nothing about the subject.”

“Oh for buck’s sake, you two!” Cinder grumbled. “Go get some counselling from Princess Cadance when we get back home. You’re both hopeless!”

Citrine and Pif both chuckled self-consciously before Citrine leaned over to lay her head on Pif’s back. The young changeling sighed but tolerated it, even as she said, “I’m still mad at you though.”

# # #

All five set out the next day, although Cinder was careful to stay in the midst of her four pony companions. While she still drew the eyes of many citizens and not a few soldiers, her calm demeanor and the fact that she was in the presence of four unconcerned ponies seemed to reassure the watchers, and she was not detained at all.

Locating Path had been much easier than the group had estimated. It had seemed probable that they would find him still doing research at Canterlot University, and that was their first target. A careful inquiry or two soon pointed them to the faculty wing and the office of Professor Long Path. A sign saying ‘Hippology Department’ had them confident of a quick meeting, until they met the roadblock that was Path’s office assistant. The nameplate on her desk proclaimed her to be Ancient Text, and the old unicorn mare looked the part with her mane tied back in a bun, and spectacles balanced on her snout. She gave the group a tight smile as she asked them their business, giving Cinder a wary glance.

Destined said, “We are doing research, studying unusual interactions between ponies and other cultures. We were hoping to consult with Professor Path in the hopes of exchanging information.”

“The Professor is always happy to acquire new information. I suspect he would be quite interested in what your companion has to say,” Ancient Text replied while looking pointedly at Cinder.

“Oh, I believe we can tell him a lot about several other species,” Pif added.

“That does sound promising, Miss….”

Ancient Text and Pif’s eyes locked, and both widened in recognition. The secretary’s demeanor immediately changed.

“… but I’m afraid that the Professor is currently unavailable.”

Pif sensed a pulse in the hive-mind, and she knew that the disguised changeling in front of her had probably just sent off a message. “That’s not quite true, is it, ma’am?”

Ancient Text frowned. “Regardless of what you think, you will not be seeing Professor Path today. Please vacate the office.”

“Can we make an appointment to see him soon?” Destined asked, unaware of what had just happened.

“The Professor is a very busy stallion, and has many projects in his hooves already. I doubt that he would have the time to fit you into his schedule.”

“Just five minutes would do!” Destined protested.

“I have asked you to leave. Please do so before I call for Security.”

“But….”

“Forget it, Des. This drone has no intention of letting us see Path,” Pif announced, glaring at Ancient Text.

“She’s a changeling?” Destined asked with only a little surprise.

“So you know your companion is a changeling too?” The secretary’s body language suddenly looked a lot less clerical and a whole lot more dangerous. “I cannot place your allegiance, but I assure you that you will not be causing Long Path any trouble.”

“That was never our intention!” Destined protested.

“Then why is the blue one looking like he’s about to start a fight?” Ancient Text snarled.

A glance at Blue Streak showed that he had taken a ready stance in reaction to the changeling’s hostility.

“I am a warrior and their protector. I am merely responding to your belligerent attitude,” Blue replied calmly but firmly.

“I am Long Path’s guardian, and I suspect your motives. Last warning – leave this office now.”

“Wait a minute, please! Give us a chance to explain!” Destined protested.

The mare’s horn lit up. “I warned you…”

“Stand down, Text!” came a familiar voice behind the group.

Path’s guardian looked at the newcomer, and she immediately powered down her horn and backed off.

Having recognized the voice, not one of the five was surprised to see Free Agent standing in the doorway. His appearance startled them a bit though. The griffon was larger than he normally preferred, at least according to their memories, and he was a great deal more buff. His powerful muscles rippled beneath his fur and feathers as he strode into the office, and it was obvious that he made good use of the gymnasium that he owned. He did not possess a cutie mark like in their timeline, but that was hardly unexpected. The only thing out of place was the obvious signs of tiredness about his eyes. His voice showed none of that though when he addressed the group.

“What’s this commotion all about, then?”

Pif stepped forward. “We need to talk with you, Free Agent.”

“Then why are you here at Long Path’s office?” he replied before looking harder at Pif. Then he pinged her hard over the hive mind. “YOU! Who are you?!”

Pif winced under the mental onslaught but quickly rallied. “My name is Epiphany, and I am like you. I will only say more in private. As I said, we need to talk.”

Free frowned in thought for a long moment before he suddenly smirked. “Sure! Bring your friends and let’s chat about what you are and what your business here really is.”

Ancient Text spoke up. “Sir, I must protest!”

Free winked at her. “Don’t worry so much, Text. After all, there are several guards outside now, and more on their way,” he reassured her.

That had obviously been said for the benefit of the group as well, but as none of them were actually a threat to Free, it did not concern them unduly.”

“Do you have an empty office that we can use?” Free asked Ancient Text.

“Second on the left. The occupant has left for the day, so you should be able to use it as much as you wish, sir.”

“Good. Okay, everypony follow me.” Free paused as he regarded Cinder. “I suppose dragonesses too.”

They made their way to the indicated office and Free firmly closed the door. “Now, I asked this once already, but I’m not satisfied with your answer, so tell me, Miss Epiphany, who and what are you, and what is your business with Long Path?”

Pif stepped forward. “My full name is Epiphany Path, and Long Path is my father, and you…” Pif’s form flared with green magic flames. “You are my mother.”

Free stared with beak agape at the chrome-carapaced young Queen that so strongly resembled his natural form. It took a long time to find his voice. “That… that’s not possible.”

“No, it’s paradoxical,” Pif replied.

“You can’t be my daughter; I’ve only ever sired drones with the breeders!” Free protested.

“In this timeline, perhaps. Not in mine.”

“What in Equestria are you talking about? What timeline?”

“Someone has been tampering with critical events in the past which is affecting how events proceed from those points. What you know as history is a lot different from what we know it should be. In ours, your life with Path went in a different and more amazing direction, which resulted in me being born. But in this version, we stopped one change from happening, but…” Pif paused and glanced at Citrine before continuing. “But a mistake was made. That affected a different critical event, and here we are.”

Free stared at Pif for a long moment with various emotions crossing his face before finally saying, “You have to be kidding me? Do you know how fantastic your story sounds?”

“And yet you’re still listening because you see the evidence of me before your eyes,” Pif retorted.

“You could still be deceiving me in some way!”

Pif nodded. “Yes, I could. You can’t read me like you can a pony, so I’ll let my brother tell you more.”

“Brother? But none of these others are changelings,” Free said with a frown.

“To be pedantic, she means half-brother,” Destined said as he stepped forward. “I am Destined Path, son of Long Path and Princess Twilight Sparkle.” He let the illusion hiding his wings drop.

Free’s eyes bulged. “A male alicorn? Wait – Path also mated with a princess?!”

“Yes, and you married her.”

Free abruptly sat down hard on his rump. “This… is getting confusing.”

Destined nodded in sympathetic agreement. “It is to us also, and we have the benefit of some experience. Papa Free, I know that you can taste deception from a pony, so please pay close attention to what I have to tell you and you will know that I’m not lying. Long Path, Twilight Sparkle, and you should have embarked upon a quest that would have led you to learn more about yourself, brought you closer to Twilight, and caused Path to meet and mate with a griffoness named Roseclaw. You four created a noble House in Griffonia which became a powerful force for peace and understanding in much of Equus. You became a herd which gave your children two beloved fathers and mothers. But none of this happened now because Queen Chrysalis did not live to trigger a critical event.”

Free looked at Destined sharply. “How do you know about Chrysalis? The Princesses covered up those events in order to not cause panic in the population.”

“How could they not know of Chrysalis? The streets are filled with Blue Changelings!”

“I asked first.”

“In our history, Chrysalis almost succeeded in conquering Canterlot, but was expelled along with all her drones by the combined magics of Shining Armor and Princess Cadance. That same event revealed your true nature to Path, which was the catalyst for further events.”

“Path knows what I am in your history? You mean he never was revolted by the thought of having a changeling so… intimate with him?”

Pif’s was stunned. “Are you telling us that you have never told Dad what you are?”

Free slowly shook his head. “I… I was too afraid that he would reject me. He’s my life, my soulmate. It would kill me if he left me.”

Blue spoke up for the first time. “That would explain the guardian you have placed with him as his assistant.”

Free nodded in agreement. “He is too precious to me to let anything happen to him if I can prevent it.” He then examined Blue Streak more intently. “You’re an earth pony – are you his son too?”

“He is my foster father,” Blue answered proudly.

Free looked at Citrine. “And you?”

Citrine grinned. “I’m the daughter he deserved but never had.”

“Huh?”

Pif glared at Citrine. “Ignore her. She’s a crystal pony and my aggravating companion.”

Cinder added drolly, “And in case you couldn’t guess, I’m only related by being mated to Blue.”

Free chuckled. “Now I’ve seen everything – a pony and a dragon mated. I wonder what your babies would be like?”

“Working on it,” Cinder replied with a satisfied pat of her belly.

There was a long moment of silence while Free seemed lost in thought. Then he drew a deep breath and seemed to come to a decision. “Okay, I believe you. What I don’t understand though is why you’re telling me all this?”

Pif replied, “Because we have to understand the consequences and ramifications of the critical change. Can we work with it to bring about a satisfactory conclusion? Or will we have to go back and fix things again? Above all, we need to be convinced that we are doing the right thing because lives depend on it – some of them very important to us.”

“I see, I think. So what do you need to know?”

“Tell us what happened from the royal wedding and Chrysalis’ death.”

Free thought for a moment. “Hmm… Some of this I only learned later from the changeling drones, but when Twilight rescued Cadance from the caves below the city, they checked the Princess’ room and found Chrysalis’ corpse. They had no idea who killed her, but they soon found out what she had planned. All the drones that had amassed to invade were rendered nearly helpless by their sudden traumatic disconnection from the hive-mind. Aside from the Harvesters who promptly fled, most just dropped where they were, dazed and disoriented. Of course that gave the citizens of Canterlot a great deal of concern, which is why Celestia and Luna decided not to tell them about Chrysalis. It would have caused a huge panic if they had known they had nearly been invaded, and the invaders were still there. However, without Chrysalis to guide them, they were nearly helpless. Worse yet, without the Harvesters and their Queen, they started starving.”

“Is that when you got involved?” Pif asked.

“No. It was Princess Cadance who took pity on them and found a way to put them to use in a manner in which they could glean some love energy for themselves.”

“Then how did you end up being their Queen?”

“While that plan worked for some, it didn’t for all. And even for the ones getting fed, they still did not deal well without being connected to a Queen. Some were literally dying because of it. Then one day, one of those wretched drones bumped into me, and I felt sorry for it. I instinctively fed it some of my love energy. That not only livened it up, but also caused it to nearly explode with joy.”

“Why was that?” Cinder asked.

It was Pif who answered. “It was because it recognized what Free is. Only Queen changelings can feed their drones that way. Despite being a mutant, it knew that you could be its new Queen.”

“Got it in one, only back then even I didn’t know I was a Queen. That drone started bugging me persistently, and then it was two, then four, then twelve, then fifty. It got so bad that I was afraid that they would betray my nature to Path, let alone other ponies. I consented out of desperation, and suddenly I found dozens of minds pressing into mine. Knocked me for a loop, I tell you!”

“So what did you do now that you were their Queen?” Destined asked.

Free snorted. “Learned what it was to be a Queen first! Then I started organizing them to integrate them into Equestrian society. That was a huge headache. I was forced to quit my job at the gymnasium because the owner objected to all the drones that kept turning up there. I started my own gym because of that, but also because it gave me the opportunity to establish a new hive for all those drones. It sits on top of an old mine shaft that leads to the caverns underneath the city.” Free chuckled. “I wonder what all those stuffy nobles would think if they knew that a changeling hive was right under their hooves?”

Pif grinned then asked, “How do you feed them all? What happened to all the Harvesters?”

“Many of them came back when they learned about the new Queen and hive. Some never returned, but I believe many established new lives for themselves. Only Harvesters have enough independence of spirit to be able to shake off the need for being part of the hive-mind.”

“We know a couple like that,” Pif confirmed.

Destined said, “So what happened after that?”

“What didn’t?” Free said with a roll of his eyes. “It’s been nearly two decades now, and I’m still learning. Let me tell you, it ain’t easy being a Queen and running a gymnasium too.”

“I thought you looked tired,” Pif said with concern.

Free waved it away. “That’s life. I envy the other me though. He apparently didn’t have to become the Queen of a hive.”

“Actually, he did, but in an entirely different way. However, he had a lot of help to cope.”

“Crap. Looks like I’m stuck either way.”

“Okay, we’ve basically covered what happened to you and the changelings, so now we know why they’re so prevalent in the streets. Can you hit the high points since then?”

“Okay, let’s see…” Free pondered. “Stop me if anything sounds unfamiliar. Shining Armor and Princess Cadance got married, of course. The Crystal Kingdom appeared, and Cadance was sent to govern it. Twilight Sparkle became an alicorn and made a Princess. Tirek attacked everypony and killed many changelings who couldn’t live without their innate magic. Cadance gave birth to an alicorn filly. Ambassador Roseclaw caused an international incident when she refused to return to Griffonia. King Ravenwing declared war on Equestria....”

“Wait! What was that?!” Destined demanded.

“We’re at war with Griffonia. Surely you’ve seen all the soldiers in the streets? They’re the ones on R&R from the battle front.”

“Yeah, we’ve seen them and wondered why, but what’s this about King Ravenwing?”

“Ravenwing was the successor to King Glimfeather when he died unexpectedly. After that, the relationship between Griffonia and Equestria quickly soured. It’s been speculated that the new king was the reason why Roseclaw refused to return home, and why Ravenwing suddenly started up hostilities with us.” Free’s eyes widened as he suddenly realized something. “Hey! Didn’t you say that Path was supposed to have mated with Roseclaw?”

“Yeah, and she definitely wanted nothing to do with Ravenwing. He didn’t live to be king either.”

“Wow. So in your history, this war never started?”

Destined shook his head. “No, and our House worked with King Glimfeather to promote peaceful relationships. Considering that he is a hale and hearty griffon still, I find his death in this timeline to be very suspicious.”

“Believe me, you aren’t the first to think that Glimfeather was assassinated.”

“So what happened after Ravenwing declared war?” Pif asked.

“Actually, it was more a case of what Ravenwing did that was the declaration of war. He sent his navy to invade Equestria, and Baltimare was his first target. Because the city was not expecting a military conflict, the local Guards were quickly overwhelmed. Thousands of ponies died in just the first day.”

“What?!” exclaimed several of the group.

“Why so many? Surely they would have surrendered in the face of overwhelming odds?” Blue queried.

“Of course they did, but Ravenwing wasn’t interested in captives who could cause his troops problems. He ordered them to kill all ponies on sight on the first day. Sheer terror kept most of the remaining ponies out of the conflict. On the second day, they started rounding up the ones who hadn’t been killed yet, and kept them as hostages. We lost the city to the griffons, and it’s been their foothold on Equestria ever since.”

“And you say that the war is still progressing?”

“Yes. They’ve made many incursions against our forces, but fortunately the next nearest city, Fillydelphia, got sufficient warning and enough local military forces to save it from the same fate. Every time we make any progress against them though, they retreat to Baltimare where the hostages prevent us from breaking out the heavy artillery. Basically we’ve been at a stalemate for years.”

“And ponies keep dying in the meantime,” Blue said somberly.

“Yes. Yes, they do,” Free affirmed.

Pif turned to Citrine with a grim look on her face. “Hundreds died in the battle of the Crystal City, including your friends, but in this timeline, thousands have died, and continue to die because of one important change to history. Citrine, we can’t make this timeline work. Too many innocent ponies have suffered and died already. Too many griffons who could have led honorable lives allied with Equestria are now its enemies, and many of those have also died. Too many are paying the price for the sake of your posse. I can’t justify our not going back and fixing this.”

Citrine’s eyes had been downcast, but she raised them to show that they were full of tears. It shocked Pif to see the tough street pony reduced to this.

“I just wanted to see them again! Is that so wrong?”

Pif shook her head sadly. “No, it isn’t, but making a lot of innocents pay the price for it is. I need you to understand that, and come to terms with it.”

Citrine’s eyes welled over and she leaned up against Pif and started bawling. Pif hesitantly put her right foreleg over the mare’s shoulder and pulled her into a hug. There was an awkward silence while Citrine let out all the anguish that she had bottled up since the death of her friends. Consigning them to that fate once again was just too much for her to keep in any longer. For several minutes, she wept until she was reduced to sniffles.

Eventually Pif drew back to gaze at the crystal pony sympathetically. “Citrine?”

With a deep shuddering sigh, Citrine looked up and nodded. “Do it,” she whispered.

“Thank you, Citrine.” Pif gave her a big hug and turned to Free to say something, only to notice that he appeared to be distracted.

“Free?” she queried.

Free looked at her and said, “I’ve just been Texted. Path has just left his office and has informed her that he intends to take an early lunch as soon as he deals with one last matter. She wants to know if she should tell him that I’m here.”

Pif looked at Destined questioningly, and he nodded in understanding. He turned to Free and said, “Tell her yes. It no longer matters if this timeline’s Path knows about us.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Go back in time and fix things properly this time.”

“So what happens to Path and me?”

“You’ll still be you, but with a different history. You’ll still be soulmates, but also a part of something bigger. There’s nothing for you to worry about.”

Free gave him a lopsided grin. “Makes me feel as if I’ve wasted all these years.”

“Wasted? I could point out that there are alternate versions of you that have had it worse, or you two never met, or this war went badly and you were killed in the invasion. However, I’m just going to say that you have had many wonderful years with your soulmate. In your own words – he is your life.”

“I suppose that’s true. I think that I would have liked to have put aside that one lie between us before now.”

“Then do it, Papa,” Blue said fervently. “I need to gather energy for a couple of days to power our time travel, so why not make the most of it?”

Free smiled proudly at Blue. “Now I know why you’re Path’s adopted son. Your words are wise. I think I’ll do just that. Pif, would you mind resuming your unicorn guise? I would prefer not having your natural form distracting Path.”

Pif smiled and complied, and Destined hid his wings as an additional measure.

It was not long before the office door opened and a familiar stallion stepped in. It was quite obvious that it was Path, but rather than the well-toned warrior and proud leader of a noble House that they were familiar with, this version was slightly overweight, had an unkempt mane, and wore spectacles. This version still had his cutie mark though. His eyes sparkled with intelligence as he glanced at the group before walking up to Free. With a complete lack of concern for his audience, Path nuzzled the ruff of feathers on Free’s chest, and the griffon responded by stroking the stallion’s head with his beak. The sheer amount of love that Path was emitting made Pif shudder in delight as she took it in, but the bulk of it was absorbed by its intended target. Free’s weariness dropped away as he was energized by his soulmate’s true love for him.

Path stepped back and said, “Ancient Text told me that you came to see me, and got side-tracked by this interesting little group.”

“Yes, and they have revealed some astounding things to me, some of which has led me to make a decision. There’s something that I should have told you long ago, but I was too scared of the consequences to go ahead and do it.”

Path smiled softly. “You should have had more faith in me. You should know that I would listen and understand.”

Free gulped and steeled himself. “I know I should have long ago, but I’m doing it now. Long Path, my beloved soulmate, I am and always have been a changeling.” With a flare of green fire, Free assumed his natural form of a changeling Queen, and he braced for the reaction.

I know,” Path said in the changeling language, his smile never fading.

Free’s eyes widened in shock. “You know?! When did you find out? How did you find out?”

Path’s eyes had been wandering curiously over Free’s form, but he returned his gaze to meet the changeling’s. “Oh, come on, Free. I didn’t get to be head of the Hippology Department by being stupid. I saw what was happening to you after the changeling invasion, and I observed and investigated when you wouldn’t confide in me what was troubling you. When I discovered the truth, I was impressed by what you had taken on, and I’ve tried to support you discreetly. I figured that you’d tell me one day when you were ready.”

Free started shaking his head and chuckling. He resumed his griffon form and embraced his soulmate. “Path, you’re a bloody wonder. What did I do to ever deserve you? I’m sorry for not telling you sooner.”

“You’re forgiven, but I’m curious to know what brought about this decision.” Path looked at their audience. “You said that these youngsters had something to do with it.”

“They had everything to do with it. Epiphany, if you will?”

Pif resumed her changeling form and smiled at her sire’s alternate self, and Destined revealed his wings too.

“Path, meet our kids!” Free said with a grin.

One of Path’s eyebrows rose considerably as his curiosity was aroused. “I sense an interesting story coming up.”

“Make yourself comfortable, Dad,” Pif said with a grin. “We’re going to blow your mind.”

# # #

After proving who they were once again, they conversed for a long time until Path had to go back to work. Before he did though, he and Free invited them around to their home for dinner. Free gave them instructions on where to find his gymnasium, which was also where the pair had made their new home. That made a lot of sense to the others as it was convenient to both his public job and his hidden hive. As Free also had work to do, the group elected to spend the afternoon relaxing in the relative familiarity of Canterlot before proceeding to Free and Path’s home.

Dinner was an interesting affair. Free had prepared meat for their dragon guest, and she had been impressed by his culinary skills.

Cinder cut a piece off her steak and held it up on her fork in front of Blue. “You have to try this! It’s mouth-wateringly good!” she urged.

Free started to laugh at the thought of any pony besides Path eating meat, but his eyes bulged in surprise as Blue casually leaned forward and took the piece and chewed it thoughtfully.

Blue nodded and said, “You’re right – that is really nice. How come my Papa Free never cooked this before?”

Free shook his head and gave him a lopsided smile. “If there were any doubts that you’re our kids, that just put them to rest.”

He was still a little surprised when Destined admitted to eating meat also, although the alicorn had no particular preference for it. A curious question from Path to Cinder about the sharing of the meat soon morphed into an impromptu lesson in draconic.

“You pick up the language remarkably quickly,” Cinder said with admiration.

Path smiled self-deprecatingly and shrugged. “It’s my special talent – that’s how I got my cutie mark.”

“Ah! That could be why you’re better than the Path I am familiar with. He lost his cutie mark, and has no magical amplification of his talent.”

“I feel a bit sorry for my other self for that.”

“He never let it hold him back. In fact, I could suggest that it pushed him to take a more affirmative course that did not rely on magical help, and that’s why he became such a respected noble and House leader.”

“While I’m just a rather unfit scholar,” Path said with a sigh.

“You aren’t just anything,” Free said. “You’re a respected academic, and moreover, my rock. I would never have been able to cope with the hive if it wasn’t for you.”

Path’s appreciation for Free’s compliment added a bit of spice to Pif’s meal. She considered an idea briefly before she said to Free, “How would you like it if I help you out with the hive for the next couple of days until we’re ready to go? After all, I have the benefit of knowing how mine is run.”

“That… is a great idea, but is it worth bothering? After all, you told us that history as we know it will change when you fix past events, and none of this will matter anymore.”

“Are you going to stop work with your hive or your gym for that reason?” Pif asked.

“Of course not.”

“Then it’s not a waste of time. Besides, I can’t just sit around and do nothing when I can be helping.”

“I’d be happy to give a few more lessons in Draconic,” Cinder offered.

“Could I use your gym tomorrow?” Blue asked. “I want to get back into optimum shape again before we go. I hate all this laying around doing nothing.”

“That seems a fair exchange to me,” Free agreed.

Conversation devolved again into a discussion of the differences between their histories, and all involved later said that it was just like they had always been family. The time-travelers were quite reluctant to leave when the evening got late. Pif was the last out the door, but before she left, she turned to Free and Path with a sly smile.

“You know I’m the child of your alternate history selves; so, might I suggest that you find out for yourselves what it was like to conceive me?” She winked and joined up with the others, calling out, “Bye, Dads!”

The very startled griffon-changeling met the gaze of a furiously blushing earth pony and gulped.

# # #

Two days later, Blue declared that he was back to peak fitness and powered up. The group bid a reluctant farewell to Free and Path, before returning to their base of operations in Twilight’s castle suite. They went over their plan of action one last time before Blue powered up the time vortex, and they journeyed into the past once more.

Destined again foiled Chrysalis’ attempt to kill Twilight, and Cinder was in position to goad Twilight into blasting the walls using the joke charm to imitate the changeling Queen’s voice. They had agreed that Chrysalis was not going to do anything significant before the wedding ceremony, so instead of staking out her room, Pif and Citrine backed up Blue in his Royal Guard armor for when Twilight returned with Cadance. They had to ensure that the Queen did not try a second time to kill Twilight. However, Chrysalis was sufficiently distracted by Celestia to pass up the opportunity, but when Twilight left with the other Element Bearers, she had called out, “You can run, but you can’t hide! Bring the Element Bearers back, but kill Twilight Sparkle!”

Twilight and her friends fought remarkably well for non-warriors, but it was the discreet intervention by the House Path warriors that foiled several attempts to assassinate Twilight. However, the mares were eventually overwhelmed by sheer numbers, and five of them were led away while Twilight’s lifeless body was carried on the back of one of the changeling soldiers.

A very confused mare tried to reorient herself after being snatched abruptly from the mêlée. “What’s going on here?” Twilight whispered fiercely as she watched herself being taken away.

Destined had cast a spell of invisibility over them both while Pif had assumed Twilight’s appearance. Because she was a changeling, Pif didn’t leak any emotions to betray the fact that she was very much alive. This had been by far the trickiest part of their operation, trying to make the very fewest changes to the sequence of events that they could manage under the circumstances.

“No time to explain, Twilight. I’ve got to get you back to the throne room where you can free Princess Cadance. Without the Elements of Harmony, it’s up to her and Shining Armor to save the day.”

“But Shiny’s under Chrysalis’ control!” Twilight protested.

“Have a little faith in your brother and future sister-in-law. They have a power that can overcome Chrysalis.”

“Who are you?” Twilight demanded of her invisible rescuer.

Destined smiled even though Twilight could not see it. “I’ll tell you later. We have a city to save right now. Hang on!”

Destined teleported them both to the throne room to an inconspicuous spot that he had predetermined to be safe.

“Wait until your friends arrive. When Chrysalis is distracted, you can go to Cadance and free her.”

“You won’t get away with this!” Cadance vehemently told Chrysalis. “Twilight and her friends will….”

The throne room doors burst open and the Element Bearers were brought inside, to Cadance’s shock. She gasped when she noticed Twilight’s still form.

“You were saying? You do realize the reception has been cancelled, don’t you?” Chrysalis gloated. “Go! Feed!” she exhorted her drones.

Chrysalis walked up to where ‘Twilight’ had been dumped on the floor. She placed her hoof on the pony’s head and said, “It’s funny, really. Twilight here was suspicious of my behavior all along. Too bad the rest of you were too caught up in your wedding plans to realize that her suspicions were correct. I fooled you all!” she said with a chuckle.

Applejack bowed her head over Twilight’s body. “Sorry, Twi, we should have listened to you.”

Chrysalis then walked over to the window to observe her drones taking control of the city and feeding on their captives. She started to sing:

This day has been just perfect,
The kind of day that will never ever pall.

‘She’s singing again?!’ Pif thought to herself as she lay on the floor. ‘I never knew how much of a nutcase grandma was!’

Every pony I shall soon control,
Every stallion, mare, and foal.
Who says a girl can’t really have it all?

As Chrysalis laughed maniacally, Destined pushed Twilight out of the invisibility spell, saying, “Go free Cadance. Tell her to go to Shining.”

Twilight crept forward, trying not to attract attention. Cadance noticed though, and her eyes widened and jaw dropped in surprise.

“Quick! Go to him while you still have the chance!” Twilight said before using her horn to free Cadance from the changeling resin that trapped her hooves.

Cadance nodded and went over to Twilight’s bewitched brother. From that point, everything resumed taking its proper course. Cadance freed Shining’s mind, and Twilight urged Shining to perform his shield spell. He was too weak though until Cadance fed him the power of her love. Pif teleported as far as she could out of range well before the lovers unleashed the love blast that expelled Chrysalis and all her minions far from Canterlot.

Twilight rushed over to Celestia’s side, forgetting for the moment her curious invisible rescuer.

Destined heaved a sigh of relief that everything had gone as planned, and then teleported back to Twilight’s room where the team was to rendezvous after the mission. They had to wait a while for Pif to fly back from her teleport though.

“Damn – I have to get the hang of teleporting more than once,” Pif grumbled as she flew in the window.

“Are you okay?” Citrine asked with some concern.

“I’m fine, but now I know why Papa Free was knocked out. At least I was out in the open and wasn’t slammed into a wall like he was. So, I take it that everything went well after I left?”

“According to what Mom told us about the invasion, history is exactly on track again,” Destined confirmed.

“Then it’s time we went home, don’t you think?” Blue asked.

“It is… if you haven’t used up too much energy while fighting?” Destined queried.

“I’m good to go, so let’s do this!”

Blue put actions into words, and activated the vortex manipulator. The five adventurers disappeared into the depths of time once again.

# # #

“Would you all get off me right now!

Twilight’s command of the Royal Canterlot Voice had improved over the years, and the five youths scrambled to get off the irate alicorn. Quite apparently, Twilight’s castle suite was not unoccupied this time.

“Sorry, Mom!” Destined said as he helped her to her hooves.

Twilight straightened her ruffled feathers, brushed her mane back into place, and then regarded them sternly. “So, back from your time trip, I take it? Just because you sent a message to say that you went on another mission, doesn’t mean that I haven’t been worrying about you for the past few weeks!”

Destined looked at her curiously. “Y’know, that’s the second time that you said we sent a message, but we didn’t. We couldn’t.”

“Maybe the Doctor sent it?” Pif suggested.

“All I know is that our mailmare, Derpy, said that she had a message from you,” Twilight explained.

The five looked at each other and nodded. “That makes sense,” Destined agreed. She would have known to tell you after history was corrected. Wait! You said weeks – how long have we been gone?”

“Nineteen days, to be precise,” Twilight answered.

Destined glared at Blue. “I knew you were too tired! The energy imbalance threw off my navigation.”

“Sorry, Des. I just really wanted to go home,” Blue said contritely.

Destined sighed. “No, don’t be. I wanted to go too; otherwise I would have stopped you. Besides, I’m supposed to be the time-space expert, and I need to improve my control to compensate for things like that.”

“Well, you’re back now, and apparently none the worse for it,” Twilight said happily. “Can you tell me what event you had to fix this time?”

Pif grimaced before saying, “You were assassinated at Cadance and Shining Armor’s wedding.”

Twilight’s eyes widened. “Oh.”

Citrine grinned. “Yep. Chrysalis won the invasion without you to foil her plans. I got to clobber her in return.”

“But… Chrysalis was still alive after the wedding,” Twilight pointed out.

Pif gave her companion a stern look. “We had to make a do-over. We’ll explain the details when everyone else is gathered. We have quite a story to tell.”

Destined said, “Mom – do you remember the part that you told us about the wedding just before you freed Cadance from the resin in the throne room?”

“You mean the bit where I was hiding under an invisibility cloak with the mysterious ally?”

“Yes. You never worked out who he was though.”

“He said he would tell me later, but he never returned.”

“Sorry that it has taken me nearly twenty years to do so.”

Twilight blinked in surprise. “You were him?”

“Yep. I saved you while Pif took your place. Actually, that was the second time I saved you. Chrysalis intended to kill you rather than send you to the caves as she did before the time meddling.”

Twilight sat down abruptly on her rump. “Sweet Celestia! What a revelation!”

“Just wait until Dad and Papa Free hear about their alternate selves,” Blue said with a grin.

“You can tell us all about it at dinner tonight,” Twilight said. “We’re all here in Canterlot for a meeting with Queen Gilda. Griffinstone’s increased prosperity has meant great changes in trade and… well… that can wait, can’t it? I was just freshening up a bit before the next round of talks. I have to get back to that. I’ll let Lucida know that you’re back; she’s been fretting since you left her behind.” Twilight headed for the door. “You can all rest up here in the meantime if you wish. Don’t touch my oat snacks!” she shouted as she disappeared down the hallway.

Blue chuckled. “I wondered if she’d miss those. I’m going to have to get Mama some more later,” he said as he fished the packet out from where Twilight stashed them and headed for the bed. “Call me for dinner,” he told the others as he laid down for a long nap to recover his energy.

“At least we can get room service now,” Cinder pointed out.

“Buck that! I’m heading for the kitchen!” Citrine exclaimed. “Coming, Pif?”

Pif returned the crystal pony’s smile. “I doubt that you’d accept a ‘no’, right?”

Citrine put a foreleg around Pif’s shoulder and began pulling her in the direction of the door. “At last you’re getting it,” she said happily.

Destined and Cinder looked at each other, laughed, and followed the others.

# # #

Lucida had been involved in the talks, of course, and had to wait until they were done for the day before she could see her siblings. They told her all about what she had missed, but when they got to the part where Destined had assigned Citrine and Pif to watch Chrysalis, she interrupted them.

“Don’t tell me you seriously left Citrine practically alone with Chrysalis! Surely you realize that Citrine is emotionally compromised and could well have attacked her in revenge for her friends?”

Destined and Pif looked chagrined and gave her a guilty smile.

“Yeah, we found that out the hard way,” Pif said.

“We really missed your analytical leadership,” Destined added.

“What’s done is done. Hopefully if there’s a next time, and I’m fairly certain there will be a next time, I’ll be there with you.”

The others fervently agreed.

They completed the description of what they did to correct history, but left their encounter with alternate Path and Free for a later conversation.

“It’s almost dinnertime,” Lucida pointed out. It’s a formal one that the Princesses are holding for Queen Gilda and her entourage, so I suggest you spruce yourselves up a bit before coming down. I’ll introduce you to Gilda’s son, Glenn. She brought him along to learn something about trade negotiations, but I have a feeling he’s not the slightest bit interested in any of it.”

They made their way down to the banquet hall, arriving after the griffon delegation. They recognized Queen Gilda immediately as they had met her on several occasions, but this time a young male was by her side. He had light brown fur, purple and brown feathers, plus a yellow crest and patches around his eyes. His eyes lit up when he saw them arrive, and he needed no urging to come over and greet them.

“Hi, Lucida! These are the siblings that you told me about, right?”

“That’s right. These are Epiphany, Destined, and Blue Streak. Cinder is Blue’s mate, and Citrine is Pif’s companion. Guys, this is Prince Glenn of Griffinstone.”

“Pleased to meet you,” the young cock replied with a genuine smile.

Pleasantries were exchanged before Glenn invited Lucida to sit with him at the banquet table. Pif hung back, giggling softly.

“What’s so funny?” Destined asked while the others followed after Lucida.

“Glenn has the hots for Lucida, and our super smart leader is totally clueless!” Pif replied.

Destined looked over to where Glenn was pulling back a chair for Lucida to sit upon, and he grinned. “After all the teasing that I’ve been getting about Silk, it’s about time I got a little revenge. Care to help me, sis?”

Pif gave him an evil grin. “Count me in!”

# # # # # # # # #

Author's Note:

I changed one line of Chrysalis' song – ("The kind of day of which I’ve dreamed since I was small") – because this alternate world version of her has slightly different motivations. Otherwise I tried to keep everything exactly the same as the words and events on the show.

The illustrations are both by Kat Miller a.k.a. Foxenawolf.