• Published 9th May 2016
  • 4,473 Views, 503 Comments

Quantum Gallop - Goldfur



The youth of House Path are abruptly whisked away to a Ponyville where a tyrant queen rules absolutely, and the alliances with Griffonia and the Changeling Hives have never been forged. Who has changed history and how do they fix it?

  • ...
17
 503
 4,473

Chapter 21 - Consequences

The pristine halls and rooms of Canterlot Palace seemed far removed from the bloody plains of the Zebrican battlefield, but it was there that the time war and Nightmare Chrysalis’ horrendous campaign to destroy all life was finally brought to a close. Every person in authority who had been involved was fully updated, the time-team debriefed, and plans put in place to start rebuilding the relationship with the people of Zebrica. Although the zebras were the dominant race there, many others shared the continent, and the giraffe tribes were among the first to seek the aid from the coalition. There was even a representative of the zebras in the form of Zazu, the chief of a small tribe that had rejected the call of the Nightmare. The fighting had ended now, and it was time to deal with the consequences and begin making a better future for all.

Long Path formally announced the transfer of leadership of House Path to Lucida at the summit. He was respectfully applauded for his service, and Lucida was given many assurances that House Path would play a strong role in the futures of all the interested parties, and would be given as much cooperation as needed.

As the summit finally adjourned, Destined sought out Luna and Celestia. “Mama Luna, Auntie Celestia, may I have a private word with you?”

Celestia nodded. “Come join us in the tea room. You can talk with us there while we have refreshments.”

The ever-alert palace staff had a steaming pot of tea waiting for the princesses, as well as some scones with whipped cream and strawberry jam. Celestia dismissed the servant and closed the door firmly while Luna poured the tea. When they had made themselves comfortable, Luna turned her attention fully to Destined.

“I gather that this must be something that thy mother cannot help you with?”

Destined nodded. “While I’ll want Mom’s support, I need the help of people with a lot longer viewpoint and experience. Only two come to mind.”

Celestia looked concerned. “What could trouble you so much that you need to turn to a couple of ancient alicorns for aid?”

“The fact that I’m going to be an ancient alicorn too one day, and one with extraordinary power. Auntie, my future self hurled us all back in time two and a half millennia with what seemed to be total ease. Can you imagine what I will be able to do with that power someday? I will be able to manipulate probabilities at will to achieve my goals. If I have an enemy, I could make them cease to exist, and no pony would ever know. I’m frightened that I will be seduced by all that power and become as big a threat as the Nightmare ever was!”

Luna moved to lie against Destined’s side and put a wing around him in a reassuring hug. “Dost thou truly think so little of thyself that thou dost think that thou wouldst become such a tyrant? Nay, Des – thou hast ne’er been anything but the most kindly of colts and thou hast grown into a fine young stallion.”

Celestia looked a little more grave. “Destined has a point though, sister. It’s not as if there hasn’t been precedent.”

Luna blushed but replied, “Our circumstances are vastly different, sister. Destined has the benefit of family and friendships that I never had.”

“I think that might be why he has come to us today, Luna. Isn’t that true, Destined?”

The alicorn stallion nodded. “I realized that I’m going to have to take my role as Prince of Equestria a lot more seriously. I want you to teach me how to rule responsibly, and give me the benefit of your centuries of experience. I want to participate in the courts on a more regular basis, but I can’t ask Lucida to be my advisor now because she’ll be too busy with House Path business.”

Celestia smiled. “So – an apprenticeship of sorts? I believe that I can fit that into my schedule.”

“I would love to have thee join me for the Night Court upon occasion,” Luna agreed. She gave her sister a little smirk. “And give thee a little balance to 'Tia’s teachings.”

Celestia gave Luna the royal razz and then winked at Destined. His mood lightened considerably then. The two of them would never do such in front of their subjects, but here they were his mama and auntie – his family. He felt a lot more reassured about his future.

Celestia said, “We will draw up a schedule for you soon. Meanwhile, we have something of equal importance to ask of you.” She exchanged a meaningful glance with her sibling.

Destined gave them a puzzled look. “What’s that?”

Luna gave him a huge grin. “When’s the wedding?!” she asked gleefully.

Destined’s nerves came crashing back. “A-heh! Umm….”

# # #

“Hurry up, you two!” Lucida yelled up the stairs. “Des will murder us if we’re late for the ceremony!”

“Stop panicking, Lucy,” Pif’s voice came back. “We’ve got plenty of time yet. Besides, we’re ready.”

Pif appeared at the top of the stairway, with Citrine riding on her back. The changeling had reverted to her old favorite form – a hybrid earth ponyling. She had grown a lot since she had last taken that form, and she had matured into a beautiful mare. Of course she could alter her looks as she saw fit, but if she just let herself go the way she ‘felt’ was right, she always ended up like this. Her body was strong and toned, but her lustrous coat and long mane gave her a sexy look rather than that of a workhorse, and her slit eyes and small fangs added an exotic touch. It suited her to be seen as the daughter of an earth pony, but at the moment her powerful form had a more practical use. Because Citrine was still missing her front hooves, Pif liked to carry her fiancée around. The crystal pony did not like to be seen as helpless, but neither did she knock back the chance to snuggle Pif a lot.

Both mares were adorned in their finest dresses designed by Rarity as bridesmaids for Destined and Silk’s wedding. The fact that neither of the stallions was a bride hadn’t stopped Citrine from insisting on her and Pif taking that role. “It’s the biggest, gayest marriage of the century – they gotta have bridesmaids!” she had declared, and eventually got her way.

Lucida had to admit that they had spent their time well getting ready for the ceremony. “You’re both going to look magnificent when you eventually get married. Have you decided on a date yet?”

Citrine replied, “I told you - not until I can stand on all four hooves again when I say my vows.”

“How are the legs coming along?”

Citrine held up one foreleg. It was considerably longer than it had been, and had grown a fetlock joint plus a few more centimeters. She flexed the new joint as she said, “It’s not as easy regenerating living crystal legs as it is to make armor or weapons, but give me three or four more weeks and I think I’ll be back to normal.”

Pif grinned. “Meanwhile I have an excuse to carry her around with me.”

Citrine leaned down to nuzzle Pif. “Nah, you don’t need an excuse. Now onward, my faithful steed. To the wedding!”

Pif winked at Lucida and trotted out the door.

Hype chuckled as she joined Lucida in the hallway. “I’m glad that Citrine will be joining the family. She’s always good at making me smile.”

Lucida nodded. “I agree, but even more importantly, she’s what Pif needs to keep her from getting reclusive and too absorbed in her work. They’re wildly different, but balance each other out so well.”

“All your siblings have mates or future spouses now. How about you, Lucy? Now that all the crises are out of the way, do you think you’ll find time to find a special someone too?”

Lucida grimaced. “With the transition of power from Dad to me, I think I’m going to be a little too busy to go dating anytime soon. Besides, not too many males are interested in a hippogriff anyway. I’m not a pony, nor am I a full griffon. I’m a little too exotic for most.”

“Not too exotic for me,” Hype replied.

“Maybe, but you’re my sister,” Lucida pointed out.

“From two totally different sets of parents and from different timelines,” Hype rebutted emphatically.

Lucida looked at the changeling curiously. “Are you saying what I think you’re saying?”

Hype started to look nervous. “Umm… yeah. I’ve kind of got a crush on you.”

The hippogriff blinked in surprise. “Really? Ahh… I hate to break it to you, but I like guys.”

“You’ve mostly seen me in my natural form, and occasionally in some disguise whose gender was irrelevant. Back in my old timeline though, I spent most of my days in Ponyville in male pegasus form.” Hype’s body was engulfed in green magic flames before they cleared to reveal a hippogriff with a maroon pelt and light red tail and crested mane. A male hippogriff. “You see, I like girls.”

Lucida stared at Hype, wondering how she had managed to miss what was pretty obvious now. Hype had been spending a lot of time with her, even when it hadn’t been particularly necessary. True, they had gotten along quite well, but she had put that down to Hype’s obsessiveness with order which meshed nicely with her own organisational skills. Lucida had not considered the possibility that the changeling princess just wanted to hang out with her.

Hype nervously waited for Lucida to say something. He was quite handsome, and Lucida was reminded of Steady Gaze and the relationship that she’d had with him. She also remembered the promise that she had made to him to not ignore someone who might find her desirable. Then she gasped as she remembered something that had been said to her more recently – ‘It’s the changeling genes in me.’ Wisebeak Path’s words rocked her. He was her descendant, and he was at least a small part changeling! Could he have been giving her a hint? She saw Hype’s earnest hopeful looks and realized that here was someone whom she already knew was compatible with her, and she liked a lot. She made up her mind. What the hell – why not?!

Lucida gave Hype a reassuring smile and said, “Will you be my date for the wedding, Hype?”

Hype burst into happiness at both Lucida’s words and the taste of her feelings as she made her decision. “I would love to, Lucy.”

“Excellent. I’ll expect a stallion like you should know how to show a mare a good time. Especially after the reception….” Lucida let that just hang there as she turned towards the doorway. “Come on – we can’t be late for the wedding!”

Hype hastened to follow, unable to stop grinning happily.

# # #

Silk sought out Twilight Sparkle even as the reception continued to celebrate his union with Destined. He intended that his absence would be brief enough to go virtually unnoticed.

Twilight had only just started to relax after making sure that the wedding had gone off without a hitch. Checklists had been quadruple-checked, and back-ups had been in place for all eventualities. Now that the ceremonies had all been completed without a problem, she thought that she was home free. Now she started fretting again. “Oh no! What’s gone wrong? Was the wine sour? Did someone get the wrong meal?” She gasped. “Did you and Destined have a disagreement?!”

“Princess! Calm down! I just wanted to ask a favor of you.”

Twilight stared at him for a moment, then brought her right hoof to her chest as she breathed in deeply. Then she exhaled as she pushed the hoof away from her body. “Sorry about that. I haven’t been so nervous since my own wedding. Speaking of which, you’re my son-in-law now, so none of this ‘Princess’ business. Just Twilight, or even Mama Twilight will do.”

Silk smiled. “Mama Twilight, I need help to send a message to someone very dear to me, and I believe that you are one of the few who can do that for me.”

Twilight raised a curious eyebrow. “You have me intrigued.”

# # #

A much older Prince Destined sat down on the large pad behind the desk in his office at House Path in Griffonia. He sighed in deep satisfaction. Sending Matriarch Cinder back with Blue Streak as she had all but demanded had been a necessary risk that he had known beforehand would need to be taken. He had been able to converge the timelines so that History had remained virtually unchanged despite the fact that it now showed that Blue had lived to raise his children with Cinder. There were some interesting time ripples to investigate later, but for now he could relax for the first time in ages.

His attention was suddenly caught by something happening above him near the ceiling. A spell was unraveling! He readied his power to deal with whatever it was, but there was only a tiny pop, and a letter fluttered down to land on his desk. Sensing no further magic active upon it, he picked it up telekinetically and looked at the writing upon it. ‘DESTINED PATH’ was all it said. Apparently a letter for him, but from whom? Destined opened the envelope and removed the letter from inside. He gasped as he recognized the hoofwriting, and he started reading it eagerly.

My beloved Destined Path,

Your mother helped me ‘post’ this to you. At the time that I seal the envelope, we have just been married and are celebrating at the reception. Do you know what it was like for me to make that vow to be your husband, and know with utter certainty that our union will be strong and last a lifetime? You met your younger self too, but I could see and feel that even thousands of years had not dimmed your love for me. I found that absolutely overwhelming – to be loved so completely and unconditionally that an immortal alicorn would love a mortal pony like me that much and for so long. I vowed that I would always be worthy of that love, and I hope I was.

However, I am gone now. I may live in your heart still, but you cannot go through your life pining for me. I learned that you have not taken a lover since, and that saddens me. Your vows to me have been fulfilled, and it is time for you to move on. Please, my beloved, find yourself another person to love as much as you did me, be they a pony, griffon, changeling, or one of those strange beings that we saw there. Find a stallion, or maybe even a mare this time, and show them how much love you have to give. That is my final request of you, my beloved Des – live every moment of your immortal life in the joy of loving and being loved by someone who will share that life with you.

Yours for eternity,

Silk Touch Path

A tear dripped onto the paper, followed quickly by a couple more. A concerned male voice from the doorway of the office was not enough to take his eyes away from the beautiful words though.

“Are you alright, Son?”

Destined smiled happily through his tears. “It’s okay, Dad – everything is perfect.”

# # #

There was almost some unplanned excitement at the wedding reception. Luna quietly excused herself midway during the evening, along with Path, Roseclaw, and Free. She would have included Twilight, but she seemed to be elsewhere at that moment, and she could not wait. Path had a carriage brought to the entrance of the reception rooms, and they all climbed in and headed for the hospital. The first of the contractions had begun.

Destined and Silk delayed departing on their honeymoon long enough to visit Luna the next morning and see the new foal. They joined several other family members as Luna and Path proudly displayed the filly – an alicorn as predicted – who had a sky-blue coat with darker blue on her legs above the hooves. She had a two-tone blue mane and tail, and some adorable freckles.

“As a foal, I also had freckles,” Luna informed them. “I did not grow out of them until my later teenage years.”

“My sister has got Dad’s green eyes though,” Destined pointed out.

Luna smiled. “I am most pleased about that. Aside from the strength of his earth pony heritage, not much else would betray his paternity.”

Path smirked. “After the effort put into conceiving her, I would hope that there was something of me in my foal!”

There was a round of laughter, and even the foal burbled happily.

“Have you given her a name as yet?” Hype asked.

“Indeed we have. Her name is Starry,” Luna replied.

Path grinned. “We have the sun and the moon, so I suggested that we stay on theme. Luna first suggested Stellar, but I felt that was too old-fashioned, and we compromised on Starry Path.”

Silk said, “I like the mental image that name gives me.”

Destined nodded in agreement. “Well, our carriage awaits, and I have a new husband to spend some happy times with, so I think we’ll head off now.”

“Before you go, Twilight and I have some news,” Free said. “We would have saved it for later so as not to eclipse Luna and Path’s big day, but with you two going to be away for a fortnight, we thought you ought to know.”

“What’s up, Papa?” Destined asked curiously.

It was Twilight who answered though. “I’m pregnant. Free and I finally managed to conceive. We had been starting to wonder if it was even achievable until Hype joined us and showed that it was definitely possible.”

Hype’s face lit up with joy. “Maybe I’m finally getting my baby brother back!”

“That’s right – the alternate timeline Free and Twilight had a son,” Lucida recalled.

“Yes, an alicorn-changeling colt. His name was Wandering Free.” Hype turned to Twilight and said, “If you have a red-coated male foal, can you name him that? It would mean a lot to me.”

Twilight looked at Free who shrugged. “I’m cool with that,” he replied. “Although he would be named Wandering Path instead.”

“Of course. That would be perfectly fine with me. Thank you! Thank you!” Hype gushed.

Twilight giggled. “Don’t thank us yet; it’s entirely possible that the foal will be totally different.”

Destined said, “Don’t be too sure about that, Mom. From what I understand of convergent timelines, I think that there’s a far greater chance of that happening than you might think.”

“Whatever comes, we’ll be happy.” Twilight then moved over to kiss him on the cheek, and then doing the same to Silk. “You two go have a wonderful honeymoon.”

“Thanks, Mom. We’ll see you all in two weeks. Spoil my new sister extra for me, Mama Luna!”

Luna giggled. “I shall do that for thee, my Son. Many snuggles will abound!”

# # #

A month passed in no time as everyone was busy with the aftermath of the war, complicated by the transition of power in House Path. Twilight, Free, and Path finally found the time to investigate a puzzle, leaving Roseclaw to help Lucida with the running of the House during their absence. They were accompanied by Destined, Silk, and Forest Breeze. Forest’s father, Whirring Cogs, had also joined them as they headed into the Everfree Forest.

Cogs had been more than a little unhappy at hearing how his son had been so intimately involved in a war at his age, but also proud that he was now one of the Avatars of Harmony. That was what brought them to this location this day – to investigate how the six new Avatars were also Element Bearers. The necklaces and crown that had manifested in their victory over the Nightmare had remained in their possession, but while they were proud to wear them, Twilight was concerned about how this had affected the Tree of Harmony.

The Everfree was as wild as ever, but an enchanted path now led through it to the Castle of the Two Sisters which had now been fully restored for historical purposes. Visitors could now safely explore the site without being worried about being ambushed by any of the dangerous creatures that still called the forest home. The castle was not their destination though. The group turned off down steps cut into the cliff face of the chasm just before the castle. When they reached the bottom, it was a short walk to the cavern in which grew the Tree of Harmony.

To Twilight’s relief, the Tree seemed perfectly healthy. In fact, it seemed stronger than ever.

“Has the Tree… fruited?” Path asked.

The Tree of Harmony had six more nodes in addition to the original six with the Elements still contained within. The empty pods were shaped akin to the cutie marks of the new Avatars – Destined’s pocketwatch, Forest’s leaf, Silk’s curled feather, and Citrine’s laughing mask. Two of the Avatars did not have cutie marks though, but the heart-shaped one was presumed to represent Glenn, while Watchful’s loyalty had to be the square knot.

“What do you think this means, Sparkles?” Free asked.

“I think this is further evidence of how our world is growing and coming together. More alicorns to keep the balance, and more Elements to help them do it.”

Free nodded. “Makes as much sense or more as anything else that has been suggested. I’m just happy that we won’t be facing another crisis due to the failing health of the Tree of Harmony.”

“I’m certainly with you on that, Free,” Twilight said with satisfaction.

Path said, “It also means that we can go ahead with our plans to revive our original goal of exploring new cultures and promoting friendship through understanding. We kind of got side-tracked for a couple of decades or so.”

Destined chuckled. “We’re rather glad that you did, Dad.”

“Want to join us on our next expedition, Des?”

“That depends on what Auntie Celestia and Mama Luna have in store for me. I’m quite serious about those lessons. But I’d like to.”

Silk said, “I’ll second that. I got the taste for adventure while we were involved in the time war. If we can find the opportunity, we’ll be sure to come along.”

“Could I go with them, Dad?” Forest asked Cogs.

The pegasus changeling looked uncertain. “That sounds a bit risky, Son. You’re still just a teenager, after all.”

“I’m a veteran of a war and an Avatar of Harmony – I think I can manage,” Forest said defiantly but respectfully.

Cogs sighed. “We’ll talk about it with your mother, okay?”

Forest nodded. “Okay, Dad.”

Path grinned. “It seems like we won’t have a shortage of enthusiastic team members. House Path is back in the exploration business!” he declared happily.

# # #

The damage to the Griffonian compound caused by the surprise attack by the zebras had been repaired, and an extra building and combat arena had been added to the outskirts. The statues of Flix and his companions were moved to a safer location that overlooked the entire new compound, and if they were able to perceive anything in their stone state, they would not lack for a good view. The new building housed the quarters and training gymnasium of the Warmaster, Blue Streak, and his mate. Or mates – they could never decide which. After all, young Cinder and Matriarch Cinder were the same person. Several of the rooms had been built specifically with the Matriarch in mind, catering to her huge form.

Blue had been worried at first that the two Cinders would not get along. After all – there was an enormous difference in age and experience besides physical needs. To his surprise, the exact opposite occurred. Sometimes it seemed to him that they were one person in two bodies, hence the confusion of using the singular or plural of the term. They thought and behaved so alike that there had to be some sort of telepathy between them, although they never admitted to such. In the end, Blue had just decided to go with the flow and treat them equally in all things. Physical intimacy was a little… kinky though.

In addition to the housing were new facilities for training pupils in fighting and defensive skills. Only the most talented made it to the advanced class, and the students called it the Proving Grounds. Blue had begun the search for a personal student who one day might succeed him, just as he had succeeded Lord General Warfist. In life, the old griffon had refused the title of Lord, although he had fairly won it in his honor duel with Lord Razorbeak. Blue made sure that his students knew exactly what heights he expected them to aim for, and what standards he would compare them to. Only the best of the best got his personal attention.

Today, seven such students stood attentively, waiting to hear what was in store for them. They were a mixture of various ponies, griffons, and one zebra warrior from Zazu’s tribe. Blue gave them his trademark glare, stolen directly from Warfist’s superior version. Nopony could match a griffon for fierce expressions! “You will be doing special high-intensity training today of a sort that you have not experienced so far. My mate, Cinder, has agreed to test your ability to deal with a dragon opponent.” Blue looked to his side where young Cinder waited for him, and he nodded to pass on the lead to her.

She said, “Everyone go out to the training arena. I will meet you there and we will begin combat immediately. Move it!”

The students hastily jogged outside, with Cinder following behind. They abruptly came to a halt as they encountered Matriarch Cinder seated in the middle of the arena. She grinned toothily at them.

“Well, we did say high-intensity training,” she rumbled. Last one to take me on gets special encouragement from my mate.”

The students gaped in disbelief before a yell from Blue got them motivated.

Encouragement for all if you aren’t fighting in two seconds!

They hastily sprang into action. They would rather fight a huge dragon than deal with the Warmaster’s ‘encouragement’.

It was a spectacularly one-sided fight. Seven-to-one odds were irrelevant to the enormous dragon whose hide was impervious to most weapons – physical or magical – and whose strength could lift buildings. There was never any doubt who would win the battle, but that was not the point of the fight. Blue watched his students keenly to see what tactics they would employ, techniques that they would use, how they cooperated with each other, and how fast that they could think on their hooves. He assessed their strengths and weaknesses, and the spirit with which they fought. He was molding the warriors of tomorrow, and he was damned if he was going to produce anything less than the finest that House Path had ever seen. He and his mate together. Mates. Whatever!

# # #

At the very edge of the Crystal Kingdom where the Crystal Heart’s influence finally waned and the snow covered the ground, a winged form quietly drifted down from the sky and alighted on the new grass. As the kingdom grew in power and its population increased to feed the Heart, the border had constantly expanded further out, and seed had taken root in the recently unfrozen ground. The silver-shod hooves did little harm to the new growth as their owner stared pensively into the eternal storm that surrounded the kingdom.

Princess Crystal Path was still there half an hour later when a white alicorn stallion alighted next to her.

“Are you alright, Cryssy?” Prince Shining Armor asked.

Without turning her slit green eyes from the storm, she replied, “I am fine, Father.”

The former changeling queen had grown up again, but the influence of her adopted parents had resulted in a much different person than of two decades previously. Her royal barding and crown might have lent her some regal looks, but it was her bearing that was radically different. She still had the holey limbs and crooked horn that was the mark of a queen changeling, but it was her personality that shaped the rest of her that made the biggest difference. Her chitin was shaped by an elegant build, and her face was much softer. To put it bluntly, she was quite beautiful, both in body and spirit. Shining Armor and Cadance had done their job as foster parents very well. A change in name was one of the things that they had done immediately upon taking on their responsibility, partly because this was a new person growing up under their care, but also because they wanted to disassociate the child from the former insane adult.

“May I ask why you have been just standing here and staring at the snow then?”

Crystal smiled softly. “I’m not looking at the snow – I’m looking for the future.”

“Future? You are a Princess of the Crystal Kingdom – might not your future lie here?”

Crystal turned to Shining and shook her head. “I love it here, and you have been the best parents that I could have wished for. However, I don’t believe that I can stay.”

“Why not? The people love you. I know one or two stallions have wanted to court you. Your mother and I certainly don’t wish to see you leave.”

Crystal sighed and nuzzled Shining. “Thank you, Father. I know that I am loved. As a changeling, I cannot help but know that as I thrive on it. But that’s not enough now. You and mother are the immortal rulers of this kingdom, and even if something happened to you, my older sister, Flurry Heart would ascend to your place. While you have given me the responsibility to watch over the kingdom at times when you have traveled, that is merely a token of what I am capable of doing. Father – I need to go out and do something that really matters.”

“What would you do? Build a hive? You could do that here.”

She shook her head. “For starters, if I were to build a hive, I would have to contend with the Heart’s influence which is constantly growing. While Queen Gossamer has promised me the drones in cold storage if I choose to start a new Blue Hive, they would not be able to cope with too much love energy pouring out of the Heart. The point is a bit moot at the moment though. I have no desire to start the hive as yet. One day I will inevitably get the urge to breed as all changeling queens do, and then I will build a hive somewhere suitable. Until then, however, I want to explore the world and find my place in it.”

Shining chuckled. “In other words, you are a typical member of House Path. The urge to travel, discover, and learn seems ingrained in every one of our children.”

Crystal smirked a little. “Well, it is in my name, after all.”

“It is indeed. Considering that this is what the House does best, I think that perhaps you might have the right goals in mind. However, unless you plan to walk out into the snow right now, I suggest that you come home with me. Dinner will be ready soon. We can talk about this more over the meal if you wish?”

Crystal nodded. “I’d like that.”

Shining turned and spread his wings to take flight, but Crystal stopped him.

“Father, can we just walk together for a while?”

Shining nodded and folded his wings back up. “Okay.”

They started walking back to the castle, and Crystal moved up against Shining’s side, laying a wing across his back. Shining looked at her and then lifted his wing across her back and pulled her closer.

“I love you, Father,” Crystal said softly.

“I love you too, Daughter. Whatever you choose to do with your life, never forget that.”

“I promise, for what would I be without my family?”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Author's Note:

Phew! It's done! End of story and the end of the Chrysalis Resurgent trilogy. Over half a million words between the three stories, and that isn't counting some side stories. However, this does not mean the end of the House Path stories. Two more series are in the planning stage —

1. Love, Life, and Death in the House of Path.
This will be an episodic story featuring special moments in the lives of the Path family. This will also occasionally include adult situations which I did not want in the previous stories.

2. Cosmic Lotus.
Ponies leave Equus for the first time, and discover that they are not alone in the universe. This will be a crossover story with my Chakat Universe, something that I hinted at in Quantum Gallop.

Art by Kat Miller a.k.a. Foxenawolf. The Princess Crystal picture was done quite a while ago, and I've been dying to write that scene!

If you have enjoyed this story and haven't done so already, please hit the thumbs-up. If you especially liked the story and would like something more substantial, it is available as a paperback novel on Amazon.

You can also show your appreciation by supporting me on Ko-fi.

Comments ( 50 )

something that I hinted at in Quantum Gallop.

Hinted? Even the basic physical description is distinctive enough that it might as well have been an announcement.

A beautiful finale to a beautiful story. All the scenes of love and family made me squee - doubly so due to it all being new life in the aftermath of great tragedy and strife. Looking forward to what you have in store for the future.

Edit: 8033199 Only for those familiar with Chakats. A Sphinxian Treecat would also fit the description of six-limbed and cat-like, though that's pretty much where the similarities end.

Any idea when we'll find out when Flix and his companions will be released?

8033240 Yes. Eventually. :pinkiehappy: :facehoof:

“My niece has got Dad’s green eyes though,” Destined pointed out.

Should that not be 'sister'?

Other than that always sad to see a good story end but hopeful for a revising later.
Plus the idea of Chakats and ponies meeting does get my imagination going. does this make it spacial or cross-dimensional? :twilightblush:

A totally glorious ride! And looking forward to the new continuations you're penning as well as continued side stories with your guest-writers to this arc.:rainbowdetermined2:

And please don't forget your other story: Safe Landings! :heart:

Plus, I truly love the artwork Foxenawolf has been doing. I only wish she had been the artist hired to create MLP:FIM back in the day! :pinkiehappy:

8033331 Oops! Yes, that should be 'sister'.

Going to be interesting to see where you go from here.

From the looks of it, a certain earth pony eventually gets the alicorn treatment or some other sort of extreme longevity.

OVerall good story, jsut two things i disliked. Nightamre and Citrines injury not healing.

This was a very beautiful story. :ajsmug:
I'm looking forward for the next ones.

Okay, just one question... when older Prince Destined read the letter from Silk, he was talking to someone. His dad. But 2,400+ years ahead? You, sir, is up ta somethin...

I'm buying that book once it's published, and maybe the others as well.

Yay another for the shelf, then all three proudly placed next to my copies of LOTR.

8033347 Imagine the hours to draw the animation to such a high quality? Although the new movie as a one off would have been great.:pinkiehappy: Again kudos to Kat.:scootangel:
8033779 Not sure of the issue you have about Nightmare but Citrine is healing as I read it, crystals grow.

“It’s not as easy regenerating living crystal legs as it is to make armor or weapons, but give me three or four more weeks and I think I’ll be back to normal.”

Well. now that this is over, I can go back to reading my 2003 copy of the Missouri Yellow Pages. Either way, I must thank you for writing such an excellent story, and for promising to write more.

A wonderful ending to a wonderful story.

Oh, how I look forward to the crossover with the chakaverse!!!! I'd hoped it would happen, and seeing them in a cameo in this story gave me more hope. I hope that one will be the next project, even if the other one also sounds good. I'm sure the chakats would LOVE the whole harmony and friendship is magic thing.

8034037 missed that part about citrine. and for me Nightmare is best as Luna's persionality not a parasite. the parasite route weakens the characters for me

8034974 Well I'm still happy how Chryssi turned out. (Don't tell Goldfur I said this but I hope she finds Fluffle Puff now!):rainbowlaugh:

8034974 You are entitled to your opinion, but I have to point out that Luna would never have been susceptible to the influence of the Nightmare if she had not had already been far down the path of envy, bitterness, and hatred. The failure was still Luna's in either case. I just feel that she could not suddenly be so much more powerful than Celestia, thus requiring the use of the Elements, merely because she went mad.

Ooo! Sounds like that while Long Path did not become an alicorn because of the loss of his magic, he DID get the longevity! Excellent chapter!

Destined’s stopwatch

Should be pocketwatch! :eeyup:

I'm looking forward to seeing how Long Path ascends in the future.

8034037 True. But for animations, you usually have a few lead character designers who makes a number of drawings from different angles of each character, but added to them are a large team of skilled technical artists that take the designers' work and create the motions of the figures from all of that. It's generally how animations are kept consistent throughout the seasons as artists come and go from shows. Of course, characters' images do evolve--look at the Simpsons' nearly 30 years! Yes, there's been quite a bit of drift with them, but they're still very nearly the same as they looked from Season One!
MLP's G4 has only been going for 7 years now--and they're still identical to their first season (except for Luna & Twilight & the CMC, of course).:trollestia:
Of course, things are getting much easier now that more and more stuff is going CGI. Eventually, cell animations will go away completely and you won't ever see drift in the animations in the future.
But a well designed character is a well designed character--and Foxenawolf's created some fantastic work that could easily be converted to 3D and remain fantastic--f-o-r-e-v-e-r! :pinkiecrazy:

Oh, Goldie, two questions when you have time:

1. Will the cross-over be cannon to Forest Tales?
2. Now that this is done, will we see more stuff in the Chakat Universe?

8035306
8035374
Long Path's fate will feature in an episode of "Love, Life and Death in the House of Path".

8035738

1. Will the cross-over be cannon to Forest Tales?

No artillery, but it will be canon.

2. Now that this is done, will we see more stuff in the Chakat Universe?

It all depends on where the Muse takes me. I only took up writing MLP because my inspiration had run out after writing "Flight of the Star Phoenix". MLP gave me new characters and scenarios to work with.

Phew indeed! What a wild ride this has been. And a wonderful epilogue to an amazing story :twilightsmile:

And there's still more to come, however short/long it will be. You spoil us so!

Also, that letter to future Destined... how sweet.
His dad's still alive though? Probably one of the history changes. Interesting.

Wow, what a story. This is the first thing I've read by you despite being aware of your writings for a long time. Took me a few days to read it all, but I'm very impressed.

That said, where can I buy merchandise? :rainbowlaugh:
I'm joking some what, but I would love a poster of the new or would that be alternate Element Bearers, perhaps a mug with the House of Path family crest or perhaps a set of pins with the logos of each hive. Really, I want these, can you make it happen?

“You will be doing special high-intensity training today...

I see what you did there...

:moustache:

8037985 Yep, they soon found out that they were in Deep S.H.I.T. :scootangel:

I do so enjoy your stories. Both here and on Chakat's Den. Been talking with other Chakats and Stellars on Gateway about them. I wonder if you remember me telling you about that Muck years ago. Well it is still there. If your wanting some OC chars I am sure several there would love to be included. Some of use also have MlP chars as well as ones from the Chakat universe.

If you ever want the MU Addy. Just message me and I will be happy to give it to you or anyone else interested.

I have also made a Chakat Telegram group. It is NSFW so people do not have to worry too much about what is said there.

Welp...

That was fun. I really enjoyed it a lot. So many plot threads were tied up and yet so many more were left hanging for future stories. I'm a bit surprised Future Cinder didn't return home. I don't know why I expected anyone to be able to tell a matron dragoness where she should or should not be though.

Also, maybe in the next story, we'll get yaks and/or Diamond Dogs. A Diamond Dog member of House Path would be.... odd. Although a Yak... yeah, that might be even more odd. Eh, either way.... I think Path and Mr. Death Pony are bound to meet at least one more time.

Also, yay, future Chryssi wants to see the world. I wonder what she'll end up doing. Part of me thinks she'll find her old hive in the Badlands and/or discover what her old self did. But I doubt she'd go off the wall like she did in Round 1.

Oh well, now I have to wait on pins & needles for what comes next. Excitement! :pinkiehappy:

8037611

That said, where can I buy merchandise?

I'm not adverse to producing merchandise, but frankly I would want some firm orders before considering it. Even the paperback novels that I produce are print-on-demand so that there's little risk.

8058557
I would definitely recommend a print on demand/small press thing for merchandise until you know if there's a market, say Cafe Press, Red Bubble or one of those (I think I got at least some of those names right). Posters you can get fairly cheap by having them published in China, so small batches and small (singular?) selection shouldn't cost much. Copyright and trademark issues are a bigger thing of course, though I suspect you have those largely in hand.

8058650 Trying something for the first time. If you want a large print of the New Avatars, check out my Deviant Art posting of the image. It's a print-on-demand service too. And yes, I have Kat Miller's permission to do this.

8058706
Cool, I'd forgotten 'bout them.

Yeah, she was one of the two, the other being Hasbro, but I think they've proven to be fairly light handed about it, and you're dealing with mostly original works, I think a family crest for Twilight's herd could run afoul of them, but its not likely.

8058720 Just got a rejection notice from DA. They talk about fan art and also getting permission sent do them by the original copyright holder. Considering that these are all original characters and not in show style, I think that's pushing things a bit. I don't think I'll bother pursuing this further.

8058734
Yeah, I was wondering why they cancelled it. I'd run it through an outside service like Cafe Press since I have heard grumblings (general purpose mostly sour grapes) about DeviantArt before.

8078021 Despite what you may believe on the subject, you are wrong; every person, no matter how strong of fortitude, has a mental and physical breaking point. And once a person reaches that breaking point, you can own them physically, mentally, or both. They will do anything you want, tell you anything you want. If you need proof of this, you need only look throughout history, one specific instance being the Spanish Inquisition; thousands of people surrendered to torture, many admitting to crimes they didn't commit that they knew would spell instant death for them just so that the torture would end. Everyone has a breaking point and even a price to be bought for. Everyone.

This was really fun!

I have to say I absolutely loved this! I am sad it's over, but am happy to hear the path family will be returning and look forward to it! I also had no idea we could request a paperback copy of your other stories I loved and I am gonna snag one the first chance I get!

Wonderful job!

8177206 Thank you - I really appreciate it. :twilightsmile:

can't wait to get to Cosmic Lotus as I always wondered what would happen if a changeling ended up on Chakona

*wonders what happened to the part where everyone lives*

8565568

Not only that, but there's at least one story involving Applejack from the 'Crystal Empire War' timeline.

Which I only know in passing, as I can count on one hand the sum total of episodes I've watched for seasons five thru seven. I love the show, but that damn Talking Head in Twilight's palace threw me off. It works, but it's about as corny as the computer in 'Challenge of the Superfriends', and classic Zordon.

The last was super-cheesy, but that's what made it work. Not that Power Rangers has ever not been 'super-cheesy'; the only series that avoided that for the most part was Dino Thunder.

wow just wow such a grate story / trilogy.
of all the death and battles i thing the biggest whiner in the hole thing is Chrysalis she now has so much love and a hole new life to begin.

9636473
I'm reading the story for what must be my fourth time, starting back from Zevan's story... Since I already know most of what's going to happen, that allows me to some more focus on other things.

However, it makes me feel kinda bad for all the correcting comments I'm posting... It's a great story, though!

This was in a word AMAZING!!!! :raritystarry:

I don't know why this has so few likes, it's up there with Fallout Equestria and Lunar Rebellion in my opinion.

I'm glad you've started writing again. Even if it did take me at least a month to finish it.

9748820
Well, they make sure that a turtle can fly before a filly whose entirely identity hinges on having that ability. Sorry you can't play our reindeer games, live with us, or otherwise engage with our glorious selves. Be glad we don't chuck your gimpy self from a cloud bank into a thunderhead to make you a chicken tendy and enjoy your parking placard.

Mind I don't think its malicious, but lets remember that a lot of ponies are is based on hedonism, that is to say maximizing pleasure, the part of which is avoiding upsetting ponies as much as they can. Lets take Moondancer as an example.

Login or register to comment