• Published 9th May 2016
  • 8,640 Views, 197 Comments

La Princesse - Monochromatic



Diplomacy and cultural exchange; important duties that Twilight needs to learn as a princess. Fortunately, this is made much easier when she meets a foreign pony willing to help. Now, if only they could actually understand each other.

  • ...
19
 197
 8,640

Forever [5/5]

Forever

Twilight Sparkle was only twenty-one years old when her entire world crumbled before her.

Rarity was leaving.

She was leaving for good, back to her kingdom, back to her suitors, back to her life Twilight couldn't be a part of, so far away from Equestria and herself. Wasn't it curious? Wasn't it painfully amusing how things worked, how the wheels turned, how…

How nearly a year she spent with a unicorn she could barely understand had felt so crystal clear, so right, so perfect… And wasn't it curious how the lifetime she'd now have to spend without her felt so confusing, so unclear, so wrong.

Clink. Clink. Clink.

The two mares were sitting inside the empty library in complete and utter silence, save for the sound of Rarity's spoon hitting the sides of her tea cup. At any other time, Twilight would have already scolded her for it, but this time, she let Rarity get away with it. She let her get away with it because she'd miss the little clink, she'd miss watching Rarity daintily taste her steaming cup of tea, and she'd miss Rarity insisting she try it.

A week ago, the two mares had been as active as a storm, trying to do as many activities as they possibly could. Visiting the royal gardens, a small boat ride down on the lake, a small unscheduled swim after Rarity 'accidentally' pushed Twilight into it, an unexpected cold after Twilight used her magic to make Rarity join her in the water, a… perfectly nice evening of reading, both cuddled up near a fire and against each other.

But now, on their very last day, it felt like their very first.

The two of them sat in complete silence, barely communicating save for gestures that said more than a thousand words could. Perhaps that was how it was meant to be. A romance that started in silence and would end in the same way.

Unsung, unvalidated, unfulfilled.

Perhaps what stung the most was that there was no way to fight. There was will… There was so much will in Twilight to fight, but her will could not win against the laws of their kingdoms. If only… If only they had been a bit older… Just a few more years when neither would have been tied down by older ponies who thought they knew what was best.

Maybe that was the problem — how their ages had made the entire thing so unexpected.

When Twilight had first met Rarity, she’d seen her as nothing more than a curious, if cheeky and attractive teenaged mare, barely turned nineteen. Twilight was only two years older, but it had been enough for her to feel the duty to teach Rarity the ways of Equestria, and yet instead, Rarity had taught her so much more.

Twilight looked up and gazed at Rarity, like she did so often, for hours on end. Rarity's own gaze was lost in her cup of tea, which she stirred, stirred, stirred, mechanically, thoughtfully, slowly. Her mane was tied in a half-ponytail, and yet enough of it was free to fall over her face, and how beautiful she looked, how gorgeous, how…

Rarity looked up and their eyes met for one, two, three seconds before Twilight looked away. Looked away despite the fact that she could spend hours lost in those eyes, and looked away despite the fact that she felt she could count down the number of times she had left to get lost in them.

"Twilight? Would you like to taste my tea?"

And it was sad.

It was sad that now, now that Twilight was good enough she didn't need a dictionary to know what Rarity asked…

"No, thank you," Twilight replied, shaking her head and still looking at anything but Rarity.

There were three knocks at the door, and when it opened, a guard trotted in.

"Princess Twilight. Princess Rarity." He bowed once for both of them, before continuing: "I'm sorry to interrupt, Your Highnesses, but I've been asked to remind you Princess Rarity must be at the gate in an hour."

"Thank you," Rarity said, her thick accent overflowing in every word. "I will be there when the time comes."

The guard nodded, and when he turned to Twilight, expecting a confirmation, Twilight simply nodded and smiled a bitter smile. She watched as the guard left, watched the door shut close, and then she just kept watching. Watching until she heard the spoon being put down, until she heard hoofsteps, and until she felt Rarity sitting besides her.

"Twilight..."

Twilight closed her eyes, trying to somehow record in her mind the sound of Rarity whispering her name. Was there a spell, perhaps, that would allow her to keep that melody forever within her? To listen on the rainy days when the memory of Rarity would hurt so much that she wouldn't be able to breathe?

In just months… In just months, Rarity had crowned herself the sovereign ruler of Twilight's heart, her soul, her entire being.

"Twilight, look at me."

Twilight did as told, her brow furrowed. As if she was annoyed Rarity's departure was interfering with her plans, with her life, with her happiness, which gods, it was. It was, it w—

Rarity lifted her hoof and traced the contour of Twilight’s face, as if Twilight were a sketchbook and her hoof a pencil. She traced every line, every edge, drawing away every crinkle on Twilight’s forehead, wiping away the frown and then moving her hoof down to Twilight’s mouth. Twilight withheld the urge to kiss it, instead appreciating the sensation of Rarity tracing the thin line between her closed lips, which ended with Rarity turning the line into a sad smile.

“There,” she said, taking back her hoof and smiling softly, “Don’t you think you look nicer that way?”

Twilight didn’t know how to reply, and instead allowed her smile to fade again. Her ears fell down, and she couldn’t stop herself from replying, tears bordering her eyes: “I’m going to miss you.” She would miss her every second, every minute, and every day after she’d left.

She missed her already.

Rarity took a deep breath, almost as if Twilight had taken it away with her confession. But was it really a confession when she had merely voiced what both were thinking? Whatever it was, it was enough for Rarity.

Without another word, she leaned in, not allowing Twilight to process anything until their lips met. And Twilight allowed herself to get lost in it, get lost in what she’d coveted for so long. It was a simple kiss, not deep or rough, but no less passionate, no less loving, no less intense because the intensity no longer rested in the kiss, but the circumstances that led to it.

A spark of her horn, and in the distance, the door was locked, though Rarity didn’t seem to have heard nor did it felt like she’d care if she had. There were no ill-intentions behind the gesture of keeping everypony out save for the desperate attempt to keep up an illusion and a lie.

Maybe, just for an hour or two, she could pretend there was nothing but what existed inside the walls of the library. Twilight could pretend she could stay there forever in her perfect world, with her endless supply of books and the unicorn who was more fascinating than all those books combined, who she loved more than magic, more than books, and more than books on magic.

When the kiss broke, they lingered there for several moments, lips brushing against each other. And then, it was Rarity who reacted, leaning forwards and burying herself against Twilight’s embrace, and Twilight didn’t know what to do or say.

“It’s not fair.”

Twilight agreed, but what could she do? What could she do when this was the life they were born into, where diplomacy and powerful alliances came before the desires of two young mares who had no say in their lives.

“I promise I’ll be back,” Rarity said, and Twilight could hear the tears in her voice, “A few more years.”

A few more years, when Rarity's younger sister would be of age to take over the throne and give Rarity complete freedom. Twilight would wait, of course, but three years was… three years was a lifetime in the life of young mares, of princesses courted endlessly day after day. Three years, but all it would take was one look from a mare or stallion to keep Rarity away from Twilight, and to end any desire to return to Equestria.

“I love you,” Twilight whispered, helplessly so, not a confession, not a statement, but a helpless plea for Rarity to never fall in love with another now that she knew of Twilight’s feelings.

“Twilight, I—”

Another three knocks at the door, and Rarity was never able to finish her reply.

~~~

Nobles of all kinds were gathered at the gate, everypony trying to get the last glimpse at the foreign princess that had stolen the heart of many with her charms and kindness, with her wit and beauty. From Princess Celestia and Princess Luna to the lowest of the servants, everypony waved as Rarity climbed onto her carriage, a brilliant but sad smile gracing her lips.

The only servant who had not gone to the farewell event was the head librarian, who had many books to sort and little time to do so. Though, it was an excuse, really. An excuse to keep company to the youngest of the Equestrian princesses, still seated at the same table where two cups of tea lay cold and unfinished.


SIX MONTHS

Twilight Sparkle was two months away from turning twenty-two when her healing heart was wounded again.

For what felt like the longest time, her letters were the one thing Twilight looked forwards to every month. It felt like an endless wait, watching the royal mailpony deliver letters each and every day, until he'd approach Twilight with a letter marked with the seal of Rarity’s kingdom.

Rarity would write pages and pages for Twilight, from the most mundane of things to how she missed Equestria terribly. Twilight would return the favor with pages and pages of her daily life, of what’d she done, and how terribly she missed Rarity.

She’d reread and reread Rarity’s letter, waiting for the day one of them finally announced her return, and yet, one terrible day, the opposite came.

She knew something was wrong when the letter that arrived was not written by Rarity, but by her parents. It seemed that the royal princess was spending far too much time fantasizing about Equestria and its princess, and not nearly enough time fantasizing about her own kingdom and her many, many suitors. This would not do, the letter had said, since Rarity is meant to take the throne, and she must think of her kingdom, not yours.

We hope you understand, they said, every word tearing through Twilight, that young love is fleeting. We are grateful for the experiences you gave to her, but the path in both your lives is not the one you two seem to believe it is. We’re sure Princess Celestia would tell you the same.

Please understand, Twilight read, the words imprinted in her mind, that Rarity will not be writing to you again, and we ask that you do the same.

Twilight closed the letter, tears dripping down her eyes and onto the table. She opened her drawer and placed it inside, breathing in and out for as long as it took for the pain to stop. Once it did, she looked towards the stack of letters and saw another one with a painfully familiar calligraphy.

She took it in her magic, and she realized Rarity’s letter had been delayed and had been written before her parents sent theirs. For all intents and purposes, Twilight Sparkle held before her the last letter she would ever receive from Rarity.

With a heavy heart, Twilight placed the unopened letter alongside the one from Rarity’s parents, closed the drawer and left the room.

She would never know what were Rarity’s last words to her.


FIRST YEAR

Everypony was acting weird that day, and Twilight couldn’t figure out why.

During breakfast, certain nobleponies kept glancing towards her, some searching her curiously, as if expecting some kind of reaction from her. Others looked at her with something she could only describe as pity or compassion, and would offer sad smiles when she looked their way.

She knew she’d slept in late and had no doubt missed the morning announcements, but what could have possibly been announced that warranted such looks?

“Spike?” she asked, turning to the dragon who’d been so unusually silent the entire morning. “Why is everyone looking at us?”

Spike kept eating, staring at his cereal without bothering to look at Twilight. It almost felt like he was avoiding meeting her gaze.

“I don’t know,” he said shortly. “Maybe they’re just surprised you’re up early or something.”

Twilight frowned and turned back to her own food, still very much aware of the piercing stares surrounding her. She tried to think of what could have happened, but instead, she was overcome with memories of her.

It certainly wasn’t an unusual event since Twilight thought of Rarity almost every day, but for some reason, more than an idle thought, it felt like a bad omen. As if Rarity was at the source of the stares, of the compassionate smiles, of the unease starting to plague Twilight.

An unease that did not lessen throughout the rest of the day, and in fact only got stronger and stronger with each passing hour. Ponies kept throwing glances at her, and it frustrated her endlessly that not a single one told her or hinted at why they were all doing it.

If Rarity were there, she’d have already weaseled it out of somepony.

If Rarity were here…

But she wasn't.

“Twilight? Are you sure you don’t want to skip this meeting? It’ll be very boring.”

Twilight looked up from her papers and towards the other princesses seated around the table. It took her a moment to realize it was Cadance who’d spoken, and she was surprised to see the Princess of the Crystal Empire giving her the exact same look everypony else had.

Pity. Compassion.

Why?

“Why would I skip it? This is my job,” Twilight pointed out, disconcerted both by the question and the look.

Every week, the four of them would gather to discuss the pressing issues regarding the kingdom, as well as discussing any international news of relevance. Though Twilight hadn’t any political power yet, her training under Celestia required her to attend such meetings, and Cadance should have known as much.

Cadance looked unconvinced. “Yes, but—”

“Twilight” Celestia interrupted, gentle voice and gentle smile, “I believe Cadance is right. Why don’t you go to the library? I’d like to speak with you later about a different matter, but you might need to do some research.”

“No,” Twilight replied, because she already knew the answer to all the stares lied in what the others wanted her to miss. “I mean, no, thank you, Princess, but I’d like to stay and listen, please.”

Celestia protested no further. “News Quill, shall we start?” she said instead to the unicorn sitting on the other side of the table, her eyes still firmly planted on her increasingly uncomfortable student.

“Er, yes, Princess Celestia,” News Quill said, straightening his glasses, clearing his throat and looking at his scrolls. “Right, so, in national news—”

“No,” Celestia interrupted. “Why don’t we start with international news first?”

International news? thought Twilight, her stomach sinking.

“Er… yes, yes,” News Quill blurted out, quickly rifling through his scrolls for the appropriate ones. Once he’d found them, he cleared his throat and continued, “Right, er, so, in international news… We have the newly forged alliance between the Saddle Arabian Empire and the French Equine Kingdom.”

Twilight felt her heart drop, action which was not alleviated by how uncomfortable Cadance now looked. “An alliance?” she asked, trying to reassure herself that it meant nothing harmful to her or Rarity or whatever they had left. “Through a treaty? I remember the king and queen were very interested in commercial alliances with the Saddle Arabian Empire.”

“Er, no, Princess… It wasn’t through a treaty,” News Quill said, and suddenly he looked uncomfortable too. “It seems that… the monarchs of both countries have agreed upon engaging the eldest princess of the French Equine Kingdom with the oldest of the Saddle Arabian Empire princes.”

“Oh.”

Oh.

Suddenly, Twilight Sparkle understood why everypony had been different towards her. Suddenly, she understood why silence fell after News Quill had finished speaking, why Cadance and Luna were looking at anything but her, and why Celestia was the only one strong enough to hold Twilight’s gaze and smile.

Not with pity or compassion, but with a tacit encouragement to be strong and move on.


SECOND YEAR AND FOUR MONTHS

The Grand Galloping Gala was an event Twilight Sparkle didn’t much care for. For most of her life, it had always been the same routine: entertain nobles, smile at nobles, politely reject nobles, and wander around when neither of the other princesses were there to talk with. There had ever been only one memorable Gala, and now the memory of it was a bitter one because no matter how much she wished, Rarity wouldn’t suddenly be there like she had that fateful day.

From atop the grand staircase, Twilight gazed at the crowd, trying to will herself into trotting down and joining it. She noticed Spike in the distance, gleefully touring some nobles around. She was painfully reminded of the sole time she’d given a tour of the castle to ponies she didn’t remember because she was too busy paying attention to the beautiful unicorn who could barely speak English.

It had been two years and four months already since Rarity had left, and though Twilight’s heart had already started to heal, it didn’t mean the memories still didn’t hurt sometime. Cadance had asked her to have fun at the ball. Maybe you’ll meet somepony, she’d said, even if it's just for a little while.

Eventually, with that in mind, Twilight made her way down the stairs, trying her best to remember to have fun and help the guests. Maybe she’d help Spike with his tour, too.

And then she saw her.

It was a force of habit to look to where Twilight had first met Rarity, and she couldn’t help but stare when she saw a beautiful unicorn mare standing in the same spot, looking just as lost and forlorn as Rarity had. For a second, it was so easy to imagine it was Rarity. It was so easy to see the grey unicorn there, and to feel almost compelled to trot over and introduce herself.

The mare suddenly looked up and her gaze crossed paths with Twilight’s. They looked at each other for what felt like an eternity, until the mare suddenly smiled, beckoning her over in the same way Rarity had.

Was Twilight brave enough to go? Was she brave enough to do it all again? Was she brave enough to let somepony in and risk having them leave?

Twilight smiled back at her, taking the last steps down the stairs before looking away and going into the crowd, away from the unknown mare and what could have been. Away from the memories and, finally, away from the lingering memories of Rarity.


THIRD YEAR

Twilight Sparkle was twenty-three years old when she met Rarity again.

It had started with a request from the Saddle Arabian - French Equine couple to visit Equestria. Twilight had wanted to know none of it, and the only thing she knew and cared for was that they still weren’t wed. Besides that, she didn’t know who was coming, when they were coming, and what was the name of the stallion who’d taken Rarity away.

She felt betrayed at first. Betrayed by Celestia who’d accepted to house them in the castle, and betrayed, murdered, destroyed by Rarity herself, who dared keep her promise by coming back with… with…

An angry shove, and several dozen letters landed inside a trashcan. Letters Rarity had once written to Twilight, letters Twilight had written but never sent, along with silly messages Twilight had kept from when drawings were their most common way of communication. The only thing she did not throw away was Rarity’s last letter, which still lay unopened and would probably stay that way once it joined the others in the trash.

Hot tears rolled down her cheeks, both out of anger and sadness and frustration. She was supposed to be over Rarity. She was supposed to have moved on, so then why did it hurt so much? Why did it hurt to know Rarity and her fiance would be arriving later that day, and why did it hurt that the entire castle was preparing for their arrival, and why did it hurt that they’d be staying in the same castle, in the same room, cuddled together under—

“It’s not fair,” she said.

“It’s not fair!” she yelled, to whoever would listen, to herself and to Rarity, wherever she was.

But no pony replied save for a solitary meow. Crépuscule, the only last link she had between that world and the new one, jumped up onto the desk and rubbed himself against Twilight, as if trying to console her, comfort her, express that he too shared her pain, and he too missed their Rarity.

Where was the Rarity from years ago, who had made Twilight feel like there was no one else in the world but them? Why wasn’t she there to tell Twilight it was all a bad dream, and all she had to do was wake up? Wake up and be the love-sick twenty year old spending her days with the most beautiful and kind and generous mare she could ever hope to love?

Twilight took the letter in her magic, ready to throw it in with the others, but she found she couldn’t do so. How could she when those were the last words of a Rarity that still loved her? Perhaps she no longer owed anything to the Rarity about to arrive to the castle, but she at least owed it to the Rarity that had once loved her, didn’t she?

~~~

The young couple had already arrived.

Twilight knew there’d be talk about how she had not been there to greet them, but the fact that Celestia had not yet arrived to scold her meant she had been allowed to try and avoid Rarity as much as she could.

She breathed in and out, feeling somewhat at peace inside her beloved library. There was nothing there save for her books and Miss Feather Duster, quietly arranging books as Twilight busied herself with gathering the courage to read the sealed letter lying on the table in front of her.

She could hear the bustle outside, the entire castle no doubt busy helping the guest couple inside the castle. A spark of magic shot out of her horn, and suddenly, all the sounds from the outside stopped, and Twilight sighed.

“Princess Twilight, you can’t stay here forever,” Feather Duster reminded.

No, but she could try.

Twilight took the letter, intent on opening it, but…

But that book over there looked far more interesting. And so she read it, and then another, and another because she found she was afraid. Afraid of finding out Rarity’s last words to her, and perhaps it was better to never know them. That way, she could make them out to be whatever she wanted.

She could pretend the letter was an explanation of Rarity marrying that stallion simply as a way to please her parents, and she’d later divorce him and run back to Twilight. She could pretend the letter was an intricate plot that her beloved drama-queen had orchestrated, where she would dramatically declare she did not love the groom just as they walked to the altar. She could pretend an endless amount of excuses were in that letter, justifications that would somehow prove Rarity still loved Twilight.

There were three knocks at the door.

“Princess Twilight?”

Twilight looked up from her book, and when she glanced at the window, she noticed the sun was setting. How long had she been reading? How long had she been avoiding Rarity and her fiance? How much longer could she continue to do so?

“Princess Twilight, you’re requested at the Grand Banquet Hall…”

Twilight didn’t reply.

Maybe, if she didn’t reply, they’d just go away. Maybe they’d go away, and Rarity would get the hint, and Twilight would be left alone.

Please, she thought, and she felt tears coming up, Please leave me alone.

“Princess Twilight?”

Without warning, a magic that was not her own closed her book. Twilight blinked at it before turning around and finding Feather Duster standing next to her, a sad smile on her lips.

“Come now, child,” she said gently, taking the book away. “It’s time.”

Twilight gulped down and looked away, blinking back tears. How she wished her Rarity was there to comfort her. With a very heavy and broken heart, Twilight got up and called, “I’m coming, Light Shield. Thank you.”


The trot to the Grand Banquet Hall had felt eternal to Twilight. It felt like every step had been dragged down by the weight on her soul and heart. She didn’t want to see Rarity. She didn’t know she could even handle seeing her in the forearms of another.

And it certainly didn’t help to hear the gossip making its round through the castle.

“Oh, the castle certainly had missed her!” a maid had said, unaware of Twilight walking past her. “And did you hear her English? Her accent is nearly perfect now!”

“How long do you think they’ll stay?” the other maid replied. “I hope they stay more than a week!"

Maybe, if I’m lucky, they’ll only stay five hours more, Twilight bitterly thought. She was happy to hear Rarity’s accent was near perfect, since that meant at least Twilight wouldn’t be endeared by her anymore. No more giggling at Rarity's desperate attempts to sound Equestrian.

Twilight turned around the corner, and in the distance, she saw the two big red doors, more intimidating than they’d ever seemed. Two guards were posted outside, and when they saw her, their expression changed from stoic to happy — elated even.

She didn’t understand why.

However, just as fast, they went back to stoic.

Why? What was that split-second smile? Did they expect her to celebrate Rarity’s marriage? Were they happy about it, even though it was they who had caught Rarity and Twilight sneaking around the castle way past curfew? Had Twilight’s own guards turned against her?

Twilight trotted towards them, making sure to frown and show her displeasure. In a way, she was actually grateful for it, since her confusion at their actions had been enough to distract her and make her forget why she’d come in the first place.

“Princess Twilight,” one of them said, bowing down to her.

“Everypony’s inside, Princess,” the other said, equally bowing down.

Twilight didn’t reply. Instead, she breathed in and out, in and out, in and out, pushing away the desire to turn around and bolt the other way. She was almost about to do it, too, but the option was taken away from her when one of the guards opened the door first, forcing Twilight to step inside the room.

The Banquet Hall was filled to the brim with all sorts of nobleponies, conversing away and eating the delicacies waiters carted around on trays. Even so, this didn’t stop several of them from quieting down and looking at Twilight, almost as if waiting to see the spectacle that was sure to come. With great difficulty, she made her way through the crowd and towards the end of the room, where she expected the soon-to-be royal couple were seated.

As she trotted by, ponies would move out of the way, and she hated that they did so. She hated that everypony knew what it meant to her, and she hated how they were making it into a big deal. Why couldn’t they let her take the long and slow path, not the direct and painful one?

Eventually, she reached the end of the hall, and was proven right. Princess Celestia, Luna and Cadance were seated at a table, and in between the three of them were the infamous new couple.

Twilight Sparkle felt sick.

Her eyes landed on the stallion first. He had all the makings of a Saddle Arabian prince. A long muzzle, deep green eyes, and lustrous brown coat, and a gentle smile. But, more than that, and what hurt the most, was the love Twilight could see in his eyes. He was smitten, love-struck, completely enamoured by the mare besides him, and Twilight was scared to look at her for fear of finding that same expression on her face.

But, as Feather Duster had said, it was time.

Twilight finally looked to the side, and just like she’d expected, she found the same love-struck, smitten expression on the beautiful mare with an equally beautiful crown atop her head. It was like there was no one else in the room but him and her. It was an expression Twilight herself had directed at Rarity, and an expression she’d seen on Rarity years ago.

Twilight should have been devastated to find that expression on the mare, but she wasn’t.

Mostly because that wasn’t Rarity.

“Oh, Twilight!” Celestia said, waving and beckoning her towards them.

Twilight did as told, still staring at the mare and the prince with a very confused expression. The couple immediately stood up when she reached them, and both seemed very pleased to be in her presence.

“Twilight, this is Prince Silk Saddle,” Celestia said, gesturing towards the young prince, who immediately bowed to Twilight in reply.

“Princess Twilight, it’s an honor,” he greeted, offering her a brilliant smile when he straightened himself up.

“…Yeah,” Twilight said eloquently.

Celestia then gestured to the young mare, who was grinning at Twilight like a child. “And this is Princess Sweetie Belle. I’m sure you’ve heard of her,” she said. She then smiled widely and added, “It seems there's been a very recent change! It's the youngest princess who's set to be wed. The Royal Saddle Arabian family visited the French Equine Kingdom months ago, and they tell me that they were such a match, their parents decided to wed them rather than the elders!”

Princess Twilight, I’ve really been looking forwards to meeting you,” Sweetie Belle said. “I’ve heard so many wonderful things about you! I was hoping to have met you earlier, but Princess Celestia told us you were busy…

“I… I…”

Twilight didn’t know what to say. Did… Did that mean…

“Her entire family came along,” Princess Celestia continued. “I think the King and Queen are lingering near the refreshments.”

Her entire family…?

Twilight looked away, her mind almost blank. “Oh…” she said, turning back to Sweetie Belle. She looked around, searching for the one pony missing, but found her nowhere.

I’d really love to talk to you,” Sweetie Belle continued. “I want to get to know you since we might be…” She drifted off and then giggled in such a way it almost looked like she were five years old. “Sisters-in-law.

Sisters-in-law…?

“Speaking of sisters,” Prince Silk said, looking around, “where did yours run off to, sweetheart?”

“I don’t know!” Sweetie exclaimed, still staring at Twilight and giggling like a child. “I think she went looking for somepony~!”

Celestia smiled devilishly at the shocked mare. “Twilight, could you please go look for her? She must be either in her bedroom or the library.”

Twilight dumbly nodded.

“And if she’s in the bedroom, do try not to take too long, alright?” she added cheekily, eliciting a gasp and even more giggles from the younger princess.

“Yes, Princess,” Twilight replied, still too stunned to even react to Celestia’s teasing.

Without another word, Twilight turned around and trotted off, past the crowd of gawking ponies and past the door and into the hallway. She heard the doors closing behind her and then her trotting turned into a full-blown gallop, past ponies, past hallways and towards the bedroom that had been empty for three years.

When she reached it, she was surprised to find the door slightly ajar, and though her first instinct was to barge in, she politely knocked instead and waited. Waited, and waited, and waited, until she couldn’t wait anymore and barged in anyways.

For the past three years, that bedroom had been empty and completely similar to the thousand other guest rooms scattered across the castle. But now, though it was still empty of Rarity, it was not empty of her presence.

Twilight stepped inside, and she wondered briefly if she’d been sent four or five years into the past. The scent of perfume wafted through the air, and the bed and chairs had been covered with clothes and personal belongings.

She’s here, Twilight thought, her heart beating wildly in her chest.

But more than that… Twilight looked at the amount of clothes and personal belongings; at the amount of suitcases spread across the room; at the clothes already hung inside the closet, and Twilight realized that Rarity had not packed for a few days, and perhaps not even for a few months.

She’d packed for much, much longer than that.

When she left the room, Twilight didn’t feel the need to gallop anymore. There was no need to rush because she had all the time in the world now. She trotted towards the library at a leisurely pace, smiling at the ponies she went past as if everything was finally right because it was, it was, it was.

Except then she reached the library, and she found she was suddenly very nervous again. What if Rarity had changed drastically in the past years? Or what if Twilight had changed? What if they weren't compatible anymore? Twilight didn't feel like she'd changed much, but Rarity…

"Your Highness, will you please put him out?" Feather Duster's voice came through the slightly open door. "You know animals are not allowed in here!"

"Now, Feather, this is my cat, and I haven't seen him in three years!" another voice replied in a near-perfect accent. "Besides, the poor dear is lost without me! Don't look at me like that! You know you missed me~!"

"I won't anymore if he so much as leaves a scratch on any of my books!"

Bracing herself, Twilight slowly opened the door, looked inside and reflected on how amazing it was that Rarity still took her breath away.

Rarity was standing near one of the bookcases, curiously perusing a book while the tabby cat purred itself away in her forelegs. It was staggering, breath-taking how beautiful she looked, and more than that, how… different she looked. Whatever was left of Rarity's teenage years had disappeared completely, replaced instead with the maturity and elegance that came not only with growing up, but with having one's heart-broken.

Twilight felt like she'd fallen in love all over again.

Rarity placed the book back in the bookshelf, and though she seemed intent on speaking again, no words left her lips once her eyes landed on the Princess of Equestria. It felt like they stared at each other for endless hours, until her expression softened, putting the cat back down on the floor, and lifting her hoof, beckoning Twilight to her.

"You should have seen Princess Twilight," Feather Duster said, her voice filling the library at the same time as Twilight quietly made her way towards her princess. "Poor thing missed you terribly."

Upon reaching Rarity, Twilight sat down in front of her, the intensity of her gaze contrasting Rarity's own soft gaze. Missed you terribly… It was true, wasn't it? And even if it had turned out Rarity was to be wed, Twilight would still continue to miss her, and love her, and want her.

"Did she? Only that?" Rarity asked, softly, only loud enough for Duster to hear wherever she was. As she spoke, she lifted her hoof and traced the contour of Twilight's face, and heavens, how Twilight had missed her caresses. Finally, she dropped her hoof and leaned in, her lips brushing against Twilight's lips. "I thought I'd die without her."

Twilight leaned in, pressing their lips together, because she didn't want words anymore, didn't want to hear, she just wanted to feel, to be vividly aware that she was not dreaming, and that Rarity was there to stay, stay, stay.

When they broke apart, they allowed their lips to linger together, neither one paying attention to Feather Duster speaking in the distance.

"I apologize, my darling," Rarity said. "Were you waiting long?"

And Twilight nodded, leaning in to kiss her beloved once more, because, oh heavens, she'd have waited decades, centuries, millenias for Rarity.

"So, Princess, how long will you be staying with us this time?" Feather Duster asked, and before Rarity could even reply, Twilight did, loud and clear for everypony to hear.

"Forever."

Fin

Author's Note:

Hello, this was the chapter I had in my google docs for MONTHS AND MONTHS, which I wanted so desperately to post I had to write three other stories.

My love for this AU is truly unmatched.

Comments ( 113 )

It's raining chapters, Hallelujah, it's raining chapters

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFWHYMUCTYOUTOYWITHMYEMOTIONSLIKETHISGODDAMNIT.

~Skeeter The Lurker

7200493

JOOOOIN UUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSS.

~Skeeter The Lurker

Wow that was a fantastic end to the story. Not having a sad tag let me know it wasn't going to end how you were painting it, but that was still a very emotional ending. I didn't actually guess the twist though which makes me feel silly. You've yet to make an AU with these two that I haven't enjoyed. Great job.

I used to be behind TwiDash.

That was until I met Mono.

7200217
Yeah hahaha I've just been really inspired lately o:

7200224
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!

7200247
Ah, well, I don't think there'll be a sequel but I added more chapters! And thank youuu, Tela, I'm glad you liked it!

7200259
Oh, well, that's mostly because she was going to introduce herself "je suis la princesse Rarity", but changed her mind? Though if it's wrong, I'll change it right away o:

7200291
There is more! :3

7200303
Thank you, Frank! And I just posted a few more chapters :3

7200309
It isn't necessary to track it anymore, as I've just posted the rest of the chapters :D

7200333
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! And thanks for the correction!

As for Prance, I... I knew that, but I... I really don't like how it sounds :twilightblush:

7200338
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!

7200439
:raritywink:

7200493
Why, Max, how could you say such a thing! OF COURSE MY INTENTION IS TO CONVERT YOU! :trollestia:

7200538
Thank youuu, Cyne! I'm glad you liked it :3

7200663
Hehe, yeah c: I studied french when I was in school, and I lived in France for about six months during 2014! My french is rusty, but it was really important to me to try and be as accurate as I could be o:

7200738
Thank you! I'm glad you're liking it even if you're not a fan of the ship :3

7200756
My first language is actually spanish! I live in Mexico City, but my mother is american and she was deadset on me learning english properly. As for french, I studied at a french lycee until i was 13, and then I took a semester abroad in France during college!

Also, thank youuu, Sun! I'm glad you liked the fic, and yes, yes I am trying to kill you with a raritwi overdose ;P

7200779
Hehehehe.

7200802
Good, good! I wouldn't want to displease the RariTwi gods, nor the RariTwi fans...

7200880
Thank you! And thank you so much for the help! I've made the corrections, and bluh, I'm kinda embarrassed that I overlooked such basic things u.u

7200965
:trollestia:

7201034
Shh, shh... Also, I... I'm glad you liked it? xD

7201063
Ah, thank you, Atom! That's very high praise, and I'm glad I still haven't dissappointed you c: also choose rarilight do it chOOSE RARILIGHT

7201111
Thank youuuu, Glint! I'm really glad you liked it! And yeah, I didn't feel it warranted the sad tag, because I didn't want to put people off by them thinking it was going to have a sad ending...

7201129
ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US

7201141
omg... Well, there's no rush o:

I'm impressed by how you take a single core idea (Rartwi) and craft a multitude of unique stories and worlds out of it. Thank you for yet another excellent story.

7201274

In the words (I think) of Rarity:

"It was marvelous, darling!"

Yesssss I liked it a loooooot.

~Skeeter The Lurker

I'm sorry mono I doubted you for a second. I thought there wouldn't be a delightfully happy end to this story and I very nearly couldn't finish it but I'm glad I did. Thank you for doing this. Thank you for writing the best raritwi on this site. Not only that but damn well the best stories in this site in the whole. Keep up the good work.

If you must know, if there's something I love more than RariTwi, IT'S TRAGIC RARITWI.

And nearly a whole chapter of it! Thank (the RariTwi) god the switch with Sweetie worked out even after the prior engagement. Also, that letter. You keep dangling it in front of us, and then nothing. I want to knoooooow!

7201494 In my defense, I don't speak a word of french...

No? Bad excuse? Okay. :fluttercry:

I'm one chapter in and it's really cute

"Oh look! Monochromatic has a new fic! I could sure use some sweet fluffy RariTwi."

One hour later

And now I'm crying. :fluttercry:

Most dramatic romance I read since Injuring Eternity. I love it.
The thing with the last letter was clever, always teasing us and building up suspense, and by the end I still had completely forgotten that we never got to know its content, forgotten that it had ever existed even. I like how it leaves us to wonder what Rarity wrote, and what she thought at the time.


Wait wait wait. What about that final letter? Did I miss it? What did it say? I wanna know!!! :fluttercry:

This story is awsome. Happy to have it in my favorites.

Confound these horsey word a of limited palette!

I made the mistake of reading this at work and now I'm trying hard to keep anyone from seeing my wet eyes! :raritycry: How do you DOOOOO this?!

So, what's with not capitalizing language names?

7202011

Oops... That's actually force of habit. My main language is Spanish, and we don't capitalize languages so I sorta mix it up o:

I almost believed Rarity had gone the way of Ophelia there near the end.
Anyway, a lovely piece and was a joy to read.
10/10

7202132

WAIT did she say drag on she meant to say it's totally awesome and riveting and uh and AND

And I'm a big fan of self-deprecating humor, as you can see xD

7202132 Read it, it's awesome. :rainbowdetermined2:

"I thought I'd die without her."

HNNGGGGG. :heart:
I don't think I can better summarize my feelings for this story than that.

This is worthy of applause, so applause it shall get! (I'm applauding.)

7202033 Ah

Congrats on having two stories on the featured list, by the way

Oh, you cheeky bitch, you tricked me! I ought to punish you for that.

... I hate being emotional... Dammit... there are tears amongst us... I loved this story, It was so well done that I just can't handle it! Very, VERY well done! I wish I could do more than just like and favorite, feels like this story deserves more... but I shall do what I can :pinkiehappy:

Lovely story. Ah tragic romance you hurt so good.


One thing I noticed is you incorrectly aged Twilight. You stated that Rarity was nineteen when they first met and Twi was three years older, so twenty two. So then six months, and two more from turning twenty three. One year later, twenty four, and then three years will have been twenty seven. Unless the six month, one year and three year are not stacking and are all contained within the three years, so then she would be twenty five. Other then this nothing else really jumped out at me.

7202572

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!

And ahhh, I actually didn't explain it well. Only three years went by, but I realize I should have made the text be "FIRST YEAR", "SECOND YEAR", etc... so as to avoid confusion...

Twilight Sparkle was only twenty years old when her entire world crumbled before her.

Rarity was leaving.

When Twilight had first met Rarity, she’d seen her as nothing more than a curious, if cheeky and attractive teenaged mare, barely turned nineteen. Twilight was only three years older, but it had been enough for her to feel the duty to teach Rarity the ways of Equestria, and yet instead, Rarity had taught her so much more.

19+3= 22 years old + 1 year later = 23 years old

SIX MONTHS

Twilight Sparkle was two months away from turning twenty-one when her healing heart was wounded again.

23

THREE YEARS

Twilight Sparkle was twenty three years old when she met Rarity again.

26

Math is math and addition is concrete, despite what Mr. Crocker would have you believe. No amount of magic or 'word of god'ing will ever make 2+2=Fish... because I know someone will object to my pointing out this internal contradiction.
media.tumblr.com/924a92a3f95d3e6525d0e40fc3de4a2c/tumblr_inline_mszkgl0c6n1qz4rgp.jpg
cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/68325607.jpg


EDIT:
7202572

Unless the six month, one year and three year are not stacking and are all contained within the three years, so then she would be twenty five.

The time stamps were all dated from Rarity's departure, but you forgot to add the year between meeting at the Gala and her going back to Pony!France. So 26.


EDIT 2:
7202585 Refreshed the chapter this time. I see you changed the first age given to 21 and added a year throughout... that still doesn't add up.

7202638
Hi! No, the thing is that only three years passed! It was a bad wording choice on my part, because I belatedly realize that I seem to be saying that 3 more years passed, when really it was just my way of marking the passing of the three years. I already changed the texts inside the chapter so it's "first year" "second year" "third year"!

I additionally aged Twilight a year for story purposes.

I hope that clears things up D:

7202655

Ah, yes, I'm sorry about that... All these one-shots were written for a friend who sorta already knew the AU completely, so I took for granted a lot of things I shouldn't have when I posted... Hopefully it won't take away too much from the experience, but I'm glad so far you like it!

7201734

that's a good point. I understand the author's reasoning for leaving it out, but discussing the letter or even a part of it would have brought more closure to the story.

as it is, I would love to read more of this AU, but I am content with what has been written:twilightsmile:

I might have been meaner to Twilight this week, but geez. You don't have to give me a run for my money there. The poor girl's pining for her soulmate and you're having us think that they'll be apart forever in spite of their undying love.

7202667 Actually, no. The age thing was screwed up before you started the time skipping. I was never unclear on the fact that the time stamps were all listing the time passed since Rarity left to go back home. You put Rarity at 19 when they first met and Twilight as being three years older than her. That means at the Gala where they met Twilight was 22, because math. They spent 1 year together in Canterlot, that makes Rarity 20 and Twilight 23 at the time the 3 year time skips started. No matter what you say, someone who is 3 years older than a 19 year old will always be 22, because 19+3 will always =22.

When Twilight had first met Rarity, she’d seen her as nothing more than a curious, if cheeky and attractive teenaged mare, barely turned nineteen.

Rarity is 19.

Twilight was only three years older,

Twilight is 3 years older than 19. That equals 22.

How nearly a year she spent with a unicorn she could barely understand had felt so crystal clear, so right, so perfect… And wasn't it curious how the lifetime she'd now have to spend without her felt so confusing, so unclear, so wrong.

They are both a year older. Rarity=20 / Twilight=23

This was a cute little romance. I feel like there were quite a few skips, but they didn't detract too much from the story. Though, I wouldn't have minded a few more chapters, and sometimes it would take me a moment to get reacquainted with the story between each chapter due to the time skips. Still, I found this an enjoyable read, and quite enjoyed how it ended. I do wonder what was written in that last unopened letter.

7202833
Oh, yeah, I forgot to edit a few details, it seems! I apologize, it was careless of me, and it doesn't reflect well on me or the story. I'll be less careless next time...

Yes!!! More RariLight!!! Hahaha!!!:pinkiecrazy:

Um... yeah. Hehe, got a little carried away. Just a little.:twilightblush:

Your stories are always really enjoyable

I am not a big fan of romance and shipping in general, but hot damn did you sell me on this story. I'm glad I stuck through that first paragraph.

Which wasn't bad, or anything. My attention span is just a bit lax this week.

Addendum: Having now realized the folly of my ways, I've moved "The Enchanted Library" out of my "read later" list to my browser tab immediately right of this one for proper consumption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNSsv86lsok
I recommend listening to this while reading Twilight percieved heartbreak. It is so emotionally inducing XDDD

:heart:

One of your cuter RariTwi stories! Love it. And har har at the EL nod. :rainbowwild:

That was a beautiful story :fluttercry:

*opens browser*

*page opens up to La Princesse*

Oh, what a nice page to wake up t—*sputters incoherently*NEW chapters!? Oh you sweet adorable angel you, thanks! Oh my gawd this is just what I needed this morning. Thank you for writing more!

Twilight could only offer a castle, and books, and an affection so deep she was sure it would probably last a lifetime and beyond that.

This ship,
shall last,
FOREVER!

And yet we never got to see what the letter held. Epilogue, when? :raritydespair:

These two's souls just keep transcending through realities. Bound together. Forever.

You made me cry. Well done.

7204327

Ah, thanks! I've corrected the mistakes you pointed out! And haha, I suppose it would be a bit weird, but I took that from my own experience when I was abroad where my friends and I would mix languages as we were learning them o:

7204304

Ah, actually that's because I realize part of the king's dialogue didn't actually go through? Oops DX But I made some new adjustements so it fits better! Sorry for all the mistakes ahaha I realize this might be terribly jarring to native speakers...

Login or register to comment