• Published 24th Jul 2012
  • 3,008 Views, 193 Comments

Heart of Winter - Dr.Shisno



Rarity in the Siberian Wasteland, trying to get home

  • ...
7
 193
 3,008

Wonderful Life

Walking into grand atrium, floors were polished and everything shine brightly by sunlight leaking through many windows. Few maple leaf flags hung from walls. Ticket kiosks were along one side of wall. Huge board showed departure and arrival times for train. Thankfully, we were not there to enjoy architecture.

Exit left us on large open street and to the cold. Snow unfortunately continued to follow, leaving blanket of white on nearly everything. How I hate such sight. But finally being off of train and on feet again was like being at home. It was normal feeling. Not that I liked it, but walking felt better than sitting on train for long period of time.

Streets were not as crowded as expected. Midday rush was not rush, but civil crowd. People were bundled up like selves, thick parkas and boots, trying to keep cold air from slashing at face. Rarity followed close as we walked down street. It was cold and coffee was greatly needed.

Few blocks walk was destination, chain coffee shop of the west famously known as Starbucks. I was not in mood for being picky about coffee. And getting out of cold would be for best.

Entering shop was blast of warmth hitting face, as did stares from people in café. Ragged look of self and less-than-perfect Rarity walking in at same time was reason enough to stare. Approaching counter, attendant behind it assault self with barrage of words, origin unknown. The language eluded self for few moments till I remembered we were French Canada. They were speaking frog. Rarity, seeing self struggle in simple hello response, stepped in. Offering her own barrage of frog words at the attendant.

“You speak French now?” I raised eyebrow at her. I hid question in Russian from attendant, hoping to spare some embarrassment.

“Um, yes I do.” She replied in smugness. “Now what do you want?”

“Whatever passes for regular coffee here.” She spoke to attendant, he nodded and rung up amount. I scoffed at steep price for coffee but paid. “When did you learn to speak French?”

“I thought I would do something useful with my time on the train instead of sleeping.” Again with smug smile. I did not mid smugness, as smile was warm and kind.

“You learned to speak French while we were on train. That’s is barely week to be fluent. That is-.”

“Incredible? I know. Also I learned Russian in barely a few days, so how is this any different?”

I waved her off, “Word of choice was going to be magical, but incredible works in its place. But it does not matter.” Attendant handed coffee over to us and we took seat in far corner. Packs were shed with great relief to back. “It is just good you speak French, or we would be bit lost.”

She leaned back in chair, taking off gloves, grasping tightly her warm drink. Her hat came off too, some purple strands starting to shine though remaining black dye. “Is that a thank you, I hear?”

“Closest you are going to receive.”

“Then you’re quite welcome.” She hummed taking a sip of her drink. “Oh how humble you’ve become, Arkady.”

“And how you are still a pain in my ass,” I chuckled.

“Yet, you’re still stubborn as the day we met.”

“Some things never change,” I gave salute with cup before taking sip.

“For better or for worse.” Silence followed, as I did not have quick retort. I let body relax, leaning back in chair, taking slow sips of the black drink. It was much smoother than self’s brew, took bit getting used to.

Opening cargo pocket on pants, map was pulled out. It took few moments to find location, but after that quick calculation for remaining distance to New York. “We are almost there. Maybe six hundred kilometers. At least week walking.” She gave glare at notion of walking more. Look brought chuckle out. “Maybe few hours with car. Maybe day with train.” Glare turned less deadly at mention of other means of transportation. “So that is one vote for not walking.”

“It’s the only vote that matters. It’s a majority.”

“Fifty percent is not majority.”

“It is when it’s my vote.”

“Maybe you did not hear,” I leaned in to help carry words better. “We are in west now, your vote matters little.”

“Are you suggesting we walk the six hundred kilometers?” She adjusted sitting position so she too leaned in closer.

“It builds character, da.”

“So the week we spent walking before we took the train was not enough for you?”

“There is never enough character building.”

“You are a character, dear. I don’t think there is anymore we can build on it.”

“Is that compliment I hear?”

“Closest you’re going to receive, yes.”

“Then thank you.” It took only second to realize closeness, mere centimeters away. And casual glance around, few customers were doing best not draw attention with their stares at couple wildly speaking Russian. Slowly, I leaned back in chair, defusing situation. “Okay, we can take remaining hours of today and next day for rest. Following day, we take train. Does this please Anastasia?”

She followed in action of returning to calm position in chair, “That would be an splendid idea. Maybe we could see a show or something. Why not have a proper dinner for once, because I don’t think I can deal with another can of beans or whatever you have left in that pack. Why don’t we sleep on something that could be considered a bed?”

I tried to raise retort, but notion of not sleeping on cold ground or on uncomfortable train took tight hold on brain. More thought put into idea, more I accepted it. Taking sip of coffee to help ponder only gave infectious idea proper time to acquire vocal chords for response. “A bed sounds good, actually. We do have large amount of Canadian currency to spend. Maybe nice bed, nice dinner, new set of clothes?”

Her smile grew tenfold at last word, “That we can agree on.” She took sip of coffee, glancing outside window.

Checking watch, we had plenty of time to check into hotel of choosing and pick of clothes. “If you wish, use your magic of language and ask attendant about hotels. Nice ones nearby would be best. From there we can drop off packs and go shopping. After such we can shower and sleep to whenever we feel like waking up in morning. Like always, I will pick up tab for expenses.”

She playfully rolled eyes at last comment before getting out of chair and walking towards attendant. I stared longer than should have at her curved form, way body seemed to float and sway with each step. From sly smile on her face, it was fair to say I was caught in action. Part of self did not care for being caught, maybe even glad for such sly smile. Other part wondered consequences.

* * *

Maybe saying having large sum of Canadian currency remaining was not well thought out, as I had believed. Carrying numerous large bags, while Rarity hummed to self in front of self carrying nothing, continued to confirm notion.

But it was barely twenty meters from elevator to room, so there was little time left to complain. After explaining how use card key to open door to Rarity, I was to relieve arm’s load in room.

Room was lavish as compared to previous living arrangements of tent and ground and of train compartments. Two plush white, clean beds. TV sat on dresser in between beds on opposite wall, easy for in-bed watching experience. Small desk was in far corner by window, with phone and notepad. View overlooking city was not bad touch to our improvised home for next day.

Coats we quick to come off, and it was small relief when boots were untied. Feeling self sink into bed was life draining. Trying to take off boots was chore. When chore was finished, I sighed in relief. Body only sunk lower into bed.

“If I take I a shower,” out of corner of eye, Rarity was going through same actions. She stretched legs out, “Promise you won’t be dead asleep when I get out?”

Leaning back into pillow, I let hand rest on chest, eyelids became heavy. “I cannot make such promise.”

“And why is that?”

“Because telling self to not fall asleep is like telling you not to drown in shower for over hour.” I chuckled more to self.

“Then don’t snore too loud.”

“Would you like me to tell you not to scrub too hard?” I opened eye and raised brow.

She sighed, “Anything else?”

“Once you are done and I am asleep, try not to wake self. Only if it is important.”

“What would you classify as important?”

“Use your own common sense.” I returned eyes to closed position. “It should be simple.”

“If you say so,” with eyes closed I could only hear as she walked to shower. After closing door, it was only few moments before rhythmic sound of water falling. Only few moments after water’s sweet song begun, sleep was kind enough let me fall into it.

“It’s been awhile, Arkady.” Mother Winter was walking along cobblestone path with self, there was light post every ten meters or so. Beyond path, it was just white nothingness. Mother’s long white dress trailed behind, gold trim highlighted cyan following hair.

“That is has been. I am surprised that you did not check in much earlier. We are actually almost at destination, maybe less than day of travel. After much needed day of rest.”

She hummed in agreement as we continued to walk. “And what are your plans during this day of rest?”

I gave shrug, “I was planning to rest till midday. We may see show, have nice dinner.”

She was quiet for sometime. Turning, I could see her with smile. “Is there an occasion or…?”

“Bit of celebration. That and cash to spend. After long travels it would be best if we did something not so harsh on body.”

“Oh,” Mother Winter laughed for second. “Sorry, that just sounds quite unlike you.”

Raising eyebrow at remark, “Care to enlighten?”

“Arkady not wanting something to strain his body. Quite unlike the Arkady I first met. A bit of an anger issue, but still you carry a kind demeanor. Living on the edge of life. Always on the lookout for a bit of danger.”

“Danger seemed to find me,” I scoffed. “That is what mother used to say. Thought I got away from such. Part of self hoped this to be adventure to end it all.”

“Then what will you do afterwards?”

After many moments of thought, I could only shrug. “Try to lead normal life.”

“Could you?” She stopped, giving self a questioning stare. “After everything you have experienced during this adventure. After the life you’ve lived? Could you really go living a normal life?”

“Is it not worth trying?”

“True,” She nodded, agreeing with answer to point. She paused, starting another thought. “I’ve noticed you’ve stopped pressing for answers.”

“I started to be good Russian,” I laughed aloud. “Stopped asking too many questions. Go with flow.”

“I see,” smile grew as she took few steps towards self. “Would you like to know where Rarity and I come from?”

“It would not hurt to know.”

“Then turn around and see. “I gave her strange look, she continued to gesture that I turn around.

Words do not do justice to city that developed out of mist around self. Colors were bright and magnificent. Building seemed to be of résistance architecture, yet also looked like streets of Paris. White buildings with colorful roofs. It was like something I have never seen before. Yet, it was familiar and inviting.

“Where am I?”

“This is my city of Canterlot,” Mother Winter explained from behind self. “The capital city of the land I rule, Equestria.” Self’s lack of answer made her continue. “Now, I have not been completely honest. Though Mother Winter has a nice ring to it, my name is Princess Celestia.”

“If you are a Princess,” I continued to gaze over city. “Where are the people you rule over? This city is deserted.”

“Well,” she laughed, walking up beside self. “They are not exactly people.”

Just when I had thought I had seen it all. Mother Winter, or now Princess Celestia, was not form I have grown to recognize. Hair was same following cyan, except now there were two origins of following hair. Voice was still same; mouth it flowed from was not. Dress was no longer there, now whole body was white.

And she was a horse.

With a horn.

And wings.

Out of all life, I yet to be more confused than this point. Having white horse, with horn and wings, talking next to self. “You are a horse. A talking horse,” was best words I could form. Not smartest words.

“And you are a talking hairless ape.”

I thought about this for moment before conceding. “That is valid point.”

She took deep breath, “This is what I hoped to avoid when we first met. I did not want to throw you into the deep end so quickly. Now that our journey is ending, I wish to be upfront about everything.”

Stepping away, I rubbed face, trying to help force in message. “This is all real. It has been real.”

“Everything around you is real. This is my world.”

“How have we been speaking then?”

“Magic has it ways.”

This continued to puzzle self, “So that is how Rarity got here? Magic? Why can’t you use it to get her back? This whole adventure could have been avoided.”

“She was never meant to go to your world,” She continued to walk to which I followed. “And without help of Twilight, there is not enough magic to get Rarity back to our world.”

“Okay,” nodding to help self agree with point. “Magic is real, this is all real.” I continued to look around, lack of anyone besides us continued to unnerve self. “But where is everyone?”

“Magic has its ways, if you want to see them.” She nodded, tip of her horn started to glow. Slowly figures started to fade into vision. More horses, but not as tall as Princess Celestia. Some had horns, some wings, some neither, but from what I could see not another one had horn and wings. Each was different color, going about lives. A world of multicolored horses, it was difficult to see.

“Can they not see me?”

“You are just a mere projection in my thoughts. So no.”

A couple passed right through self, continuing to laugh and talk. Going on with life, confirming I was never there. “And you can do that?”

“Technically, I’m not even out on the street, I’m still back in the castle.”

“And you can do all this?”

“As the most powerful being in this world, yes I can.”

“How?”

“Magic, Arkady.”

“You keep saying magic, why?”

She laughed, “It’s the best way to explain it. There is not enough time to explain everything: our history, our way of life, how we make due. I sent Twilight Sparkle to learn about yours, in sending her; Rarity fell through the rift after her. With not having an exact location, she landed in your land. And I can out of all the places to land, I am grateful you of all people found her.”

“Right time, right place,” I shrugged. “I have been known to be lucky in life.”

She smiled, bit of smug smile. “Maybe it was not so much luck.”

“What do you mean by that?” Raising eyebrow at comment. There was so much I wanted to know, so much I wanted explained. Having Princess Celestia take long way to explain things was not needed.

“It is probably nothing,” she waved self off.

I turned to her, trying to conceal growing frustration, “What do you mean?! There is so much of own world I do not know. Then you show second world, and not explaining fully does not help situation!”

The Princess took breath, buying time to formulate words, “I believe there is no such thing as luck, Arkady. You are either good at what you do, or something bigger at work.”

“I do not understand.”

“Nor do I, but that’s magic.”

I turned back to princess, trying to understand all that I have seen, all that I have done. So much in life has been pushed to side, thought to be luck. If not luck, it could be again timing of event or something of sorts.

Suddenly, thought like freight train hit self. Something I’ve overlooked during whole talk. Something so blatantly obvious, I feel like idiot for missing.

“This means Rarity is-,”

“Arkady?” Small nudge brought self back to normal world. No bright colors. No Princess Celestia. And certainly no talking horses. Only thing not normal was gentle prodding on side. “Arkady?” Voice sang gently to ears. I chose to ignore, hoping to drift off back to sleep and receive answers.

Until prodding stopped and hand on my neck made self reevaluate situation. Without opening eyes, I grabbed offending hand by wrist. Action was quick as was reaction. Had I not held on tight, Rarity may have achieved flight. After such, it was difficult not to laugh.

Finally opening eyes, I was met with face that was mix of frustration and embarrassment. Her still wet hair did best to hid expression. Releasing hand, I was hit once, then twice, and finally third time. Laughter did not cease.

“That’s not funny,” I continued to laugh as expression was priceless. “Not funny one bit.” She hit self again. “Stop laughing.”

“It is too funny. Now, what is so impo-,” finally actually looking at Rarity with more than casual glance. Out of all clothes bought, I would remember deep violet top and matching long bottoms. It let little to imagination, with thin straps and barely reaching mid-thigh. It was just loose enough to see outline of body, not enough for details, and was perfect on highlighting her… eyes. Her crystal blue eyes did more than look at self; they looked into self. Just once, I would have like to know what they were saying without words; at least until connection between brain and rest of body was restored and I realized I was staring again. “-ortant that I needed waking?”

“You were sleeping?” She sat with legs folded under her on bed next to self. “I wasn’t sure, you weren’t snoring. I was just checking to make sure that you didn’t die.”

Sitting up in bed, I stretched, trying to keep gaze averted, “How was shower?”

“Splendid, actually.” There was shift in bed, glance over shoulder helped confirm Rarity found comfortable laying position. “I probably could’ve stayed in another hour, if I wanted. It just might help get the musky Russian smell off of you.” She laughed.

“I remember time when you said you shower could not change smell. Is this opinion still valid?”

“No,” she gave very stern look. “Go take a shower, you smell. Please. Do us both a favor.”

Throwing up both hands and getting off of bed, “Alright, I will do such.”

“Good,” she changed positions on bed, lying on stomach, head supported by hands. Her legs lazily kicking air. “Please don’t drown yourself in the shower. And don’t be too long.”

“Da, Commissar.” I gave her mock salute, which she lazily returned with a giggle, and I continued walk to shower.

Learning to turn on shower took few moments, but after such, I could have stayed in downpour of warmth till end of time. It had been too long since last shower. Sweet relief as water flowed over body: shoulders did not feel as tight, back not as sore. Dirt, sweat all flowed off of body. I do not know how long I stood there. Standing still, listening to water flow, letting water run, I could’ve let rest of self flow down drain. Let rest of body flow away in the water. Be taken away and be alone in thoughts. All that was seen in past hour was a lot. Another world, another way of life. So much to understand. So much I had yet to understand. Talking horses, talking magical horses. Water could only relax muscles, self's brain was different story. Brain moving trying to comprehend many things, things that it could not comprehend properly. Here was self trying to relax. Wash past hardships away with water. Wash the long journey away. Forget it all.

Could I forget it all?

Turning off shower, I hope I would not.

Drying off and slipping into new clothes, I returned to main room. Rarity was no longer lying on bed, but was sitting on edge of bed twirling bit of hair between fingers. Cart was off to side and in front of her. Two slender glasses and chilled bottle in bucket was sitting on cart. She smiled as I got closer, small amount of blush starting.

I looked at cart and then to her, “I do hope you did not answer door looking like that. You would have give poor boy heart attack.”

Rarity stood, laughing, unsure how to react and reply. “Um, No. But I hope you don’t mind that I got the champagne.”

“Nyet, not at all.” Pulling bottle out of its bucket to examine it, “What is it for?”

She shrugged, “I thought we could have a drink or two to celebrate. We did just travel across half the globe.”

“I thought that is what tomorrow is for, with dinner plans.”

“Well,” She approached, grabbing both glasses off cart. “Why not start early? Besides you already paid for the bottle.” Her sweet smile got better of self as I conceded.

“Okay,” I had small chuckle. With swift movement, cork flew out, and glasses filled with sparkling gold. Bottle was put back in place, glasses raised. “And what do we toast to?”

Rarity stood quiet for few seconds, before turning her blue crystal eyes into mine, “Life and the situations it puts us in.” She raised her glass a bit higher.

There I stood, with Rarity staring up at self, waiting for response. Barely meter and half away, she stood, confident in her evening attire. Her black/purple hair seeming to shine perfectly in light, like painted by skilled artist. Her skin looking so soft, while curves so elegantly wanting to draw self in. I raised glass too, in salute of artist who was able to create such work, and thankful to be able to enjoy such masterpiece. Blue crystals continued to peruse answer from self as I continued to search for words that would be close enough to describe situation. I gave smile as words slowly arrived.

“To this wonderful life.” Glasses tinking together punctuated sentence. “Now and forever more.”