• Published 24th Jul 2012
  • 3,010 Views, 193 Comments

Heart of Winter - Dr.Shisno



Rarity in the Siberian Wasteland, trying to get home

  • ...
7
 193
 3,010

Still Alive

Self was surprised woman was able to help carry me back. More surprised we made trip back to cabin. With pack, rifle, her pack, and self’s inability to walk straight, it was long after sundown when we walked through door. It was kind of her to set me down gently on couch, even kinder that she got fire started.

“Vodka,” I asked painfully, “I just need my vodka.”

“You just got back and you’re already asking for drink? My goodness, you need to slow it down!”

“Not for drink,” I said, slowly pulling off torn parka, revealing dark stains on shirt. “Sterilize injuries, then drink.”

Upon seeing such injuries, woman rushed to side. “Oh my goodness, you should’ve said something! I should’ve done something much sooner. This is serious.”

“My mother has hit harder than bitch bear, I will recover.” I extend arm out, gesturing for bottle. “Vodka, please.

Woman thinks for moment, but eventually hands me bottle. Taking cork out with teeth after pulling shirt off, I pour good portion of bottle on slash marks on chest. The alcohol burns wounds and cleans blood, thankfully cuts were not deep to require sewing. Though injuries were deep enough to cause very painful experience.

“Cabinet,” pointing towards kitchen. “Third from left, that is where medical supplies are.” Woman left side to cabinet and after much searching returned with wraps and bandages. “Now I need you to take bandages and wrap wounds.” I stood up so woman could get better angle.

Upon standing up, I realized how tall I stood over woman, a good head above. Even woman paused to observe self’s body and the scars that crisscrossed it. Her hands were cold when she started places bandages on chest, which was to be expected. Starting to wrap bandage, she paused for brief second when she came to back, noticing more scars. Rarity continued to wrap body, she surprised self in way she wrapped. It was elegant if that was possible. I did not have to tell her how to wrap, which was first.

She paused in front, focusing on finishing wrap, taking time as if it were delicate surgery. When she finished, she placed hand gently on the wrap, “You have quite a few scars.”

“It is the line of work I chose,” I scoff. “Besides, we all have scars, it is matter if it affects one or not.” Wincing as I move to kitchen, I offer “Coffee, Ms. Rarity?”

“How can you drink that stuff this late?” She crossed arms, giving me disapproving look. “You also need rest.” Woman rushed to side, pulling arm. “You need your strength for the coming trip, remember?”

“Fine,” I rolled eyes, not resisting the pull on my arm. “Just put self on couch, that will suffice.”

“No, no no. It’s your house, you need to sleep in your bed.”

“I will not have guest in my house sleep on couch.” Now I resisted woman’s tugging. “I will be fine on couch, injuries are not serious.”

“But that couch isn’t good for your back!” Woman’s pulling grew stronger as we nearly reached bedroom door.

“My back is fine,” I struggled to pull arm from her grip. “It is your pulling that will hurt me.”

“And one night for each of us will not hurt.” Woman forcefully spoke through teeth, pulling one last time.

“Ms. Rarity,” I spoke firmly, “I will not budge from position. While you are in this house, it is your bed.”

Woman paused with pulling, though keeping hand gripped on self’s arm. It was easy to tell Rarity was thinking of some way to achieve success over myself. “Well, we can share.”

Those words alone stopped brain function in self. I looked at woman, confused at her notion. “I do not think that would be necessary.”

“Well, unless you want to be the one to go out in the cold and cut wood, because we’ve run out.” Woman kept grip, reasoning with me, “Which I remind you, I will not let you do because of your injuries and how cold it will get. You can at least suck it up for one night.”

I gave woman positive “Hmm.” I had not noticed lack of lumber supplies. She had noticed and was actively thinking about such. Good to see she was learning. “So you put last of wood into fire?”

“Yes,” her grip loosened and I pulled arm free, but her voice was firm enough to keep self in place. “I thought I had made mention of that of the other day?”

I questioned self on how I could have missed such large part of routine. Distractions, I mused to self. Seemed to be most logical answer. “Fine. For tonight. Just tonight.” I shook head disapproving. “Tomorrow, I will get wood, and we will make second trip to see Nestor. So, while I am cutting wood you will dye hair, okay?”

Rarity nodded in agreement, “That will work, now can you give me a few minutes to change?

“Da, da, all is fine. Let me get mine as well.” Under watchful eye of Rarity, I grabbed undergarments, then left room, closing door behind me. I rolled eyes at the situation I was in. It was silly to say least. I changed into undergarments, tossing blood stained shirt into fire, watching dying flames eat shirt hungrily. There was warmth, but it would not last. Maybe hour or so of flames, if lucky, fire would last maybe half of night. After such, it would be cold, and it would stay cold untill I could get wood in morning. Realization was made that without wood; there would be no coffee, at least hot coffee. It would be long morning without coffee.

Knock on door brought me away from thought. Woman was leaning on open door, her hair splayed over her face. What she wore raised curious question, how she acquired clothes that flowed with her body in my house. Though question left brain as fast as it entered.

“I hope you don’t mind,” her voice seemed to invite. “I took the liberty of adjusting some of your clothes, seeing as I have none.”

“I, um,” self’s mouth seemed to jumble words; connection between brain and mouth did not want to work too well. “No, I do not mind. It is fine.”

“Okay,” awkward pause came, only crackling of fire made noise, until woman said, “So, um... long day tomorrow. We should probably get to bed.”

“Da,” I nervously chuckled, walking towards bedroom. “Da, that is true.” Pain shot up through side where wounds were when I sat on left side of bed. I took deep breath, trying to ignore pain. Woman sat down on right side, and pulled herself under the multiple layers of covers. I sighed and pulled myself under covers as well, only then did I realize how small bed was. Exhaustion crept into body, ebbing away last of energy. Rolling onto side, back facing woman, I muttered some form of “goodnight”.

It was few moments of quiet in darkness of room before I heard her reply of goodnight. It was not long after that when body succumbed to tiredness.

* * *

I was in the white room again, this time Mother Winter was sitting in front of self at small white wooden table. She was sipping calmly cup of tea, as if waiting for self. “Arkady, I’m happy you could join me,” she gestured to the seat across the from her, “would you care for something to drink?”

Sitting down, I was unsure, nervous even. “Water is good.” From seemingly thin air, Mother produced glass of water and placed it in front of self. Sipping water, I could feel the cool liquid flowing down throat, which was surprising. Surprise did little to stop formation of main question: “You brought me here, why?”

She smiled, “I wanted to talk, that’s all.”

“Talk?” I nearly spat out drink. “You brought me here to talk!?! What bullshit is this?!”

“I have a very busy schedule,” Mother Winter’s voice became firm, near agitated. “What I do isn’t very easy. This is a break, yet part, of my duties. Which brings me to my question.” Her voice returned to calm and collected, “How are you, Arkady?”

“You come simply to ask how I am?” I huffed in frustration, “If you have to ask, I am still amongst the living. We had run in with bear recently, I was hurt. Ms. Rarity managed to keep me from becoming meal. We will make preparations for journey west soon.”

“Resilient, isn’t she? She always seems to overcome,” Mother Winter smiled before taking another sip of tea. “And what is your opinion of her?”

“She is small handful,” I scoffed. “If there were worse person to be stuck with, I have not found them yet.” I broke pack of smokes out of pocket, putting one in mouth, and lit it. Gesturing to her with the pack if she wanted one, which she declined politely.

“I’ve heard those are bad for you,” Her motherly voice started. “So, why do you do it?”

I laughed, letting smoke exit lungs, “There are many things that could kill me in this world. I think cigarettes will be last thing on list.”

There was pause in conversation, which suited me just fine. Moment of silence to attempt to finish smoke, but it was not to last too long. For Mother Winter started up talk again: “So how do you plan to get to the west?”

“There is western saying, There are many ways to skin cat’, but first we need to travel to sea, then maybe boat or plane. After such, I do not know. You ask for me to go around the world. This is not easy feat to perform.”

She nodded in agreement, “I understand, I am not asking for you do that in one day. I was simply asking for a plan, so I can help.”

Taking long drag of cigarette, I laughed again. “If you could somehow get us to west by some form of magic, that would be wonderful.” My laughter slowly stopped, realizing words that were said. “Magic,” I scoffed at myself. “What am I saying? I could be dead and all this hallucination.”

Mother just took a slow sip of her tea before setting it down, then promptly reaching across the table and slapping me. I was not expecting, for it knocked the cigarette out of mouth, and left searing pain on cheek.

“Now,” she began, returning hand to teacup. “I am fairly sure pain is a good indication of reality. Did that help clear a few things up?”

I brought hand up, feeling cheek, quite surprised. “So this is real, you and this room. Not a dream.”

“Yes and no,” Mother handed me a second cigarette, helping me light it. “You are dreaming right now. At this very second you are asleep, but this all real. Your consciousness is here, with me, and perceives this all as real.”

Now, I was not smart man, as per recent events have told me, but idea of dreaming and not dreaming went over head. So, I took long drag of cigarette trying to process, but it would not come. “Care to explain?”

She laughed, a carefree laugh, before leaning across the table, and placed two fingers on forehead, “All in due time, Arkady.” And the white room went away.

* * *

I did not wake with start like last time, but slowly became aware of world, taking many deep breaths. Body was warm, though the feeling of coldness beyond bed was growing. The cold compelling eyes to stay closed and enjoy moment of warmth, fully knowing tasks that lay ahead. The wood gathering, the long march back to Nestor’s, and making plans to west. It was all so much to do. Self brought free hand to face, in attempt to rub the tiredness away. To no luck.

Even in sleepless state, awareness of warm smell grew. Smell of flower, like roses or tulips, which was strange. It was not spring nor were there any sort of flower for kilometers. Finally opening eyes, purple hair obscured some vision, only then did I realize that heavy feeling on chest was not blanket, but woman’s body: at least head, portion of upper body, and one arm. Also heavy feeling on arm was due to being laid on. Now, her breath, though light, was growing.

“How long have you been up?”

“A few minutes now,” was her reply. She rolled off of me, like such position did not happen. I accepted such notion.

“Good,” leaving warm bed to brace the cold of cabin, “It is time to get up. We have much things to do.”

“But the sun isn’t even up!” Woman’s protests began.

“Ah,” self sighed upon hearing such protests, “But it is the best time to get started, more time afterwards to rest. Just stay warm, I will be back with wood for fire.”

I heard some affirmative from woman as I started to change, grimacing in cold. Luckily, there was second parka that did not meet bear that self could wear. Cold cut to bone, and I could feel gaze of Rarity.

“Why do you torture yourself with this?” Woman’s question started. “With all this getting up early and the cold.”

Jumping into parka, trying to warm up, I laughed, “It is to make sure I am still alive, and helps keep me alive.”

I did not wait for answer before I left bedroom, grabbing axe on way out. Dusk and setting moon gave mystic hue to winter wonderland before. There was just enough light to see meter in front of self to help in search of tree. Even in low light, I was able to find tree of right size for our use. So swinging began, mind started to clear. I wished to get away from compromising thoughts of Rarity. There were few women in life and left as quick as they arrived. Isolation in Siberia was small thanksgiving from such periods of… I paused in swinging at thought, trying to recognize emotion of such periods. Periods of false bliss, that left exit wound was hard to repair. I did not need them; they did not need me. I accented thought with heavy swing against tree. Such is life.

After few swings, searing pain in chest began to remind of past day events. It was difficult to fight through growing pain; I had to pause few times to catch breath. In pause, thoughts began to appear again, more thoughts of Rarity. Maybe, there was something to woman. No, she angered self multiple times, rubbed self wrong way. She focused too much on unimportant items. Yet, it was refreshing. I gave tree another heavy swing to end thoughts. After much fighting past pain, tree fell down with anticlimactic puff in snow.

Thankfully, I had chosen small tree to cut down, providing just enough wood for fire. It took many tries to cut tree into manageable sizes, but by time sun greeted self, small woodpile started to form. Observing self’s work, pain wrecked body, and I near collapsed onto woodpile, clutching side. Trying to catch breath while sitting on woodpile, thoughts began to drift again. Maybe it was way she angered self, how few people could do such so quickly. I tried to shake thought, but it nagged. She was certainly attractive, that was easy to see. No, I had to get her back home. That was my mission, my purpose now. Anything else could wait. Even self.

Seemingly on cue, crunching of snow appeared behind self. Turning, it was woman, dressed standing few meters behind me. She stood fully dressed in winter garb, arms crossed, as if waiting on some signal from self to approach or giving self moment.

Taking breath, I faced inevitable. “So, Ms. Rarity,” I stood up stretching, feeling pain race up body, but I ignored such pain. “What brings you out here?”

Woman took steps towards self, snow crunching underfoot, “I came to see how you were doing and if you needed help.”

I returned to splitting remaining pieces of wood. “You can help by taking some wood back inside and start fire. We need house warm. Warm means life and we need to live for time being.” Axe fall punctuated sentence, “Understood?”

“Yes, I understand.” She paused few moments, before gathering few pieces of wood passing sympathetic look to self. “When you’re done we’ll change your bandage.

My answer was axe fall, focusing on finishing task. Crunching of snow grew quieter until it was axe falls and self alone. Something self both wished and dreaded, alone. Such notion made axe falls heavier, fueled with bit of anger, the wood split quickly. So I stood there, breathing heavily, with no more wood to cut, with no more purpose. And the anger would not cease.

* * *

In between time of cutting wood and arriving at Nestor’s, there was breakfast. A hot breakfast with coffee that did little in ways of soothing soul, but it was quiet breakfast. Little was said; it did not matter. As house warmed, anger subsided, if only in little bit. Putting supplies in packs, I watched woman prep hair for dyeing. Even as I cleaned rifle for tenth time, I noticed awkwardness in hand movements, it was like woman’s first time. All was quiet: save for cracking of fire, self’s cleaning of rifle, and Rarity’s slow movements of dyeing hair. Not more was said when self’s bandages were changed. No words when packs were placed on back. Only breathing and footfalls sounded off during march to Nestor’s store. Though silence was offsetting, I did not dare speak.

Bit after midday is when we arrived. There were few people in store and eyes drifted on us, though eyes mostly staying on woman. Silence followed when we entered. As if on cue from silence, Nestor entered from backroom.

“Two days of gracing my presence,” Nestor said with mock impressed tone. “What is the occasion, Arkady? I do not think it is my birthday, nor May Day.” Though when he saw solemn look on self’s face, he grew more serious. “Arkady, what happened?”

“Ask the bear,” stumbling into bar. “I need to ask a few things. Not here.” I brought voice to whisper, “There are too many ears here, Nestor.”

He looked around suspiciously, eyeing many of his guests. “Follow me then, bring girl.” Nestor gestured, so we followed. He led us to backroom behind bar where most of his stores were. Pulling up chairs and grabbing bottle, he gestured us to sit. After pouring us both glass and handing us it, which woman declined, he began conversation: “Bear you say, Arkady?”

“It was not pleasant experience, Nestor. Bear was too gentle with touch, left nice scratches. Though, we had disagreement.”

“I assume it was you and bear?”

“Nyet,” I raised glass in direction of Rarity, giving slight nod. “I owe one to woman.” Rarity gave humble shrug at mention. “Managed to kill bear with six shots.”

Nestor gave thoughtful hum before taking sip of glass, “So she is not sister?” He must’ve seen shock beyond wall of self’s unemotional face, but he reassured me, “It is okay, Arkady. I already knew such. Usually when siblings look nothing alike, there is problem.”

I rubbed temple, extending out empty glass, which was refilled. “Nestor, I need help.”

He laughed, “That is easy to see, comrade.”

“No, Nestor,” His light-heartedness had done many times to clam, but this time only seemed to agitate. “I have killed three men in process of taking care of woman.”

Laughter stopped, “Oh, Arkady, you let woman walk into life and suddenly everything changes.” A light laugh, he turned to woman, “So what is your name, your real name.”

“Rarity,” her voice seemed distant though sitting next to self. “My name is Rarity.”

Nestor smiled, “Of course it would take a rarity to change this hermit,” he slapped self’s shoulder, joyously laughing. “So what can I help you with, my friend?”

“We are going to need to get out of here,” I pulled out cigarette, offering Nestor one, which he took and lit. “Very far away.”

We both took long drags of cigarettes, “And what makes you think I can help you? I am just humble store owner,” he said, exhaling in cloud of smoke

It was my turn to laugh, “Humble my ass. I know you have connections, Nestor. You make too much to be just humble owner.”

He thought for second, contemplating next words on smoke. “And what if I do have these connections you accuse me of having? What of it?”

“We need to get west.” I gestured to Rarity and self. “As in America, New York. She has friend that will sort things out.” Leaning forward, hoping to emphasize words, “Nestor, I made a promise, and I am not one to break such things.”

“Alright, alright, old friend,” Nestor’s hands mocked defensive posture. “I will help, but help is not for free.”

“I understand,” I nodded, thinking. “Whatever is in my cabin is yours.” There was gentle touch on arm; it was woman giving me sympathetic look. “Besides, I do not think I will return here soon.”

“I think we may have deal, it may not be full trip, but it will be start” Nestor raised his glass, toasting occasion. “It will take time to sort out, but until then, is there anything else I can do?”

“Well, I do have few favors to turn in before I go.”

“Very well then, I would be honored to accept such,” he tossed butt of cigarette into empty bucket. “Just one question, why are you doing this? All of it for her?”

I too tossed cigarette butt away, taking sip of drink, “I have not felt this alive in long time.” A smile was made, along with a sigh. “And I wish to stay alive.”