• Published 9th May 2016
  • 3,670 Views, 466 Comments

Between Bassdrops and Bowstrings - Quillian Inkheart



Following Vinyl Scratch, Octavia Melody, and many of Equestria's musicians in their struggles to bring music to Equestria and all it's ponies. A tale about music, romance, destiny and what it means to try and change it.

  • ...
12
 466
 3,670

Epilogue: The Encore

Epilogue: The Encore
[v]

Vinyl licked some sweat from her lips, working the copper wires into place. She contorted her face in concentration as she poured every ounce of her attention into the piece. Her latest invention sputtered to life as electricity danced through it's circuits and Vinyl let out a relieved sigh, leaning back, glad that it hadn't exploded this time.

She wiped her forehead with a hoof; using magic on something so precise always wore her out really quickly. She admired her handiwork, tilting her head to the side. Was that wire connected properly? Giving a faint shrug, she decided that the only way to find out would be to fire it up.

Octavia snuggled into the pillow Vinyl had left behind when she'd woken up. She had grown to be a very heavy sleeper, ever since the wedding. It was like a burden had been lifted off her and now she was able to sleep more soundly.

The first wave of dubtrot shook the floor, making the whole bed rattle. Octavia sat up, dazed.

"Wha...?" The second drop was heavier and, by some unknown miracle, made Octavia go airborne. She landed with a grunt and grumbled heatedly under her breath.

"Vinyl... Vinyl Scratch!" She shouted, but her voice was muffled by the blaring music. "Ugh! The dishes again!?" Groggy, she pulled herself up and started downstairs.

As usual, the rocking pound of the bass reduced her attempts to walk down the stairs into a barrel roll of misery. Finally through that ordeal, Octavia pushed herself up and dusted herself off.

She continued into the kitchen, expecting to see Vinyl at her usual place, cooking something – most likely eggs – with the dishwasher blaring out dubtrot. However, the kitchen was surprisingly empty and the dishwasher was, in fact, not on. Octavia raised an eyebrow, jumping when another loud drop hit from a few rooms over.

Furniture had been pushed aside for Vinyl's work. The unicorn in question was in the middle of the room, head-banging to the pounding music all around her. As far as Octavia could tell, she was leaning towards the device making the music to keep herself from being bowled over by literal shock-waves that were coming off it. Octavia needed to turn her hearing-aids off; she was confident that her ears would bleed if she didn't.

This latest creation was an odd one; despite the level of sound it produced, it was no bigger than Octavia's hoof. Vinyl had it sitting atop a small table, plugged into one of Vinyl's generators. Octavia made her way into the room, past her head-bobbing lover and over to her machine. She didn't hesitate, pressing the first button she saw. Unfortunately, all this accomplished was to change the song.

"Huh? Oh, hey Tavi! Mornin'! How're you feelin'?"

Octavia just gave Vinyl a level stare and tapped her ear with a hoof.

"Oh, yeah." Closing the small distance, Vinyl hit a different button, stopping the music. She couldn't feign ignorance under Octavia's stare. Once Octavia could hear again, she chuckled meekly. "Sorry, I just had to be sure it worked."

"Well, it does," Octavia responded, fixing her mane as best as she could. She peered over the object, morbidly curious. "What did you make this time?"

"An alarm clock." Vinyl turned it around, showing Octavia the time, glowing on the front of the screen. "I was trying it out with max volume. It sounded pretty sick, so I got a little lost in it. Sorry for wakin' you up."

Octavia observed the device with a more critical eye, then smiled. "No, it's okay. I suppose you know it does it's job now." Octavia turned to look at Vinyl, her soulmate, and chuckled. "You know, I think this might be your greatest invention yet. It actually puts your explosive music to good use."

"My greatest invention? Even more great than the Dubtrot Sunglasses?"

"Certainly more than the dubtrot sunglasses." Octavia waved a hoof, beckoning Vinyl closer. When the DJ obliged, Octavia draped a hoof over her, pulling her in even closer, kissing Vinyl lightly on the cheek. "If I may offer a suggestion, though?"

"Yeah?" Vinyl asked, always happy to include Octavia in her inventing.

"Try to make it wake somepony up without physically throwing them off the bed, okay?"

Vinyl paused a moment, then started laughing uproariously. "But that's half the fun!" She patted Octavia and nodded her consent."All right, you win. I'll turn it down a bit. But I ain't compromising on the floor-shaking. That's my favorite part."

"No doubt." Octavia chuckled, giving Vinyl another kiss. Just another day, Octavia thought.

Another day in paradise.

Author's Note:

Well, my loyal readers, this is it. But don't think these two are quite done yet.
I've got a total of at least 5 bonus chapters lined up to be tossed out at random, as well as a possible spin-off following Dolus and a sequel that will follow Fiddlesticks and Neon's growing relationship.

Thank you all for sticking with me and supporting me through this story. It means the world to me that so many people love this fic. All I've ever wanted from my stories was to give something that other people could enjoy. And now? Now I think I've done just that. :twilightsmile:
Thank you all, once more.

- Quillian Inkheart

Comments ( 122 )

7375054
It's not entirely over yet. :twilightsmile: I've still got bonus chapters and other goodies planned.

7375092 meany give me a hint :applecry: please

7375095
Okay. The bonus chapters will take place between other chapters in this fic. The other goodies include, but aren't limited to a sequel following Fiddlesticks and Neon, and a possible spin-off that focuses on Dolus the Mite. I'm also planning on getting headers and footers for each chapter made, over time. If I get lucky, I can even get spacial songs commissioned for the chapters without their own tunes...

7376056

I'm sure I will. I've got a lot to go though.

7376056 I finally finished, I kinda speedread because it was rather exciting.

7376128
Pew, wow... I'm glad you liked it that much. :rainbowwild:

It took me a while to find a Vinyl and Octavia story I enjoyed as much as University Days, but you made that story! Thank you! :pinkiehappy:

I'm surprised you added in so much filler. Personally, I try to stay away from filler in any story I write, but to each there own. :raritywink: You did well with the entire story, I wouldn't have been the wiser if you hadn't said any of it was filler.

I'm still happy knowing you have bonus content planned! I look forward to it all.

All I've ever wanted from my stories was to give something that other people could enjoy. And now? Now I think I've done just that.

I say you accomplished that. :twilightsmile:

7376671
Thank you very much. :twilightsmile: I worked hard to put in filler, while making it not filler. Most every chapter had a greater purpose, but I wanted to show things other than the relationship. After all, while this is an ode to a couple of ponies I really like, it's also an ode to music and those brave enough to break down barriers.
I tried to make something greater than the sum of it's parts and, from the sounds of it, I succeeded.
Thank you again for reading along. :twilightsmile:

-Inkheart

7378751 I know that it was a rhetorical question :twilightsmile:I just like to ignore the obvious from time to time:pinkiecrazy:

7379898
Well, I can't argue with that one. :twilightsmile:

7382074
I'm glad you enjoyed. :twilightsmile: I look forward to entertaining you more in the future.

I'm going to read this for the coverart.

7398887
Come for the coverart, stay for the story? :derpytongue2:

7398891 Dunno. I just know that I found my reading material for tonight. ^.^

7398895
Awesome.
*Thumbs Up* Hope you enjoy, friend.

7421988

Gotta say that it's nice to see someone who's done their homework. About your formatting, like I said, it needs to be double spaced. I get that novel-wise you've seen it differently, but fanfiction-wise it's the most commonly used format. It's kinda the novel version of fanfiction. I'd say the best way to have a transition is to use the actual too that creates a transition line. It's this little dash on the editing tool board of the chapter and story description. Try it out, it'll help a lot. You can also try and create your own transition. An example, using my own, would just be, I think, exactly twenty or so colons in a row and then centering them. I've seen pictures of little designs used too, but I don't recommend it.

So, mine looks like this: :::::::::::::::::::::::::: and is just centered with a space between the ending and opening paragraph. If you've read my most recent story (heh, like and subscribe, cause it's like I'm promoting myself over here, okay I'll stop this) you'll see it used there.

Moving on to your explanation about Octavia's talent, which, by the way, I still am pretty stoked that you actually did your research on it. I do agree with what you're saying, it's a cutie-mark. The whole think is kinda backed by the "it's magic:trollestia:" excuse. I was think of the general idea of what you just explained when I was reading and typing about it. But I felt I mine as well point out the, I guess you could say, degree of "realism" lost by doing so.

I'm gonna assume there's some other points in the story that you had to do some research for, and you'll most likely do for the, I'm pretty sure you mentioned something about this, sequel that you're thinking of making. Sorry if I misunderstood. So, I recommend, if you haven't done so already, making a blog post whenever a chapter has something that needs explaining. Like the cutie-mark and Echo, both could've been a solid blog post and contributed to the, I guess you could say "lore", of the story. Readers, really everyone, loves knowing more cannon stuff. I think Calm Wind does some stuff like that, if you follow him you probably know, whenever he posts something others have made for the story I think he occasionally dubs it cannon and there should be some tid bits in the comments too. Anyway, it's just a thought.

And you're welcome for the kind words, it deserved them. Plus, I hadn't written a good review in a really long time. And I needed a quick break from all my writing. Probably one of my most favorite reviews I've given was for some author who requested one from me. And when I gave it they said thanks and it was good, all that stuff, but what was the coolest thing about it was that the person was an actual author. Like they had published books out to buy and stuff. Always thought that was pretty cool. Anyhow, like I said before, if you ever get to making a sequel or just another story, I'd totally be up for helping out. Whether it's just a simple opinion, a review, or even editing.

7422178
Funny story, that. I have four possible stories that branch off of this one now.

Two of them aren't spoilers, so I can chit-chat about them. Early in chapter 2, you learn that Echo ships off to the Griffon Empire to create a new genre using his latest invention; an instrument that uses the griffon's claws to play. Yup, Echo is inventing Rock and Roll. He made the first guitar and is sidelined for most of the story, only mentioned in the background until way later. I plan on making a side-story that follows him during his time in the Empire, developing his own Rock Band and watching his new genre evolve under the culture of the Empire.
Secondly, I'm considering a EQG Spinoff, though that technically will be it's own thing, as it exists completely separate from this story. Still, it will be in the same timeline and taking place, more or less, at the same time. It, however, will only be a short-story, no more than 10 chapters, I imagining.

The other two are a spoiler-riffic, so I won't go on about them. Needless to say, one revolves entirely around a race of monsters I myself created for this fic. The other is a direct continuation off the end of this fic, following familiar characters who held an important roll in this story.

Friend, I always do my homework. Any good author should. Besides, I like to have my story be as ground into cannon lore as possible. I spent two years watching the show, studying the concepts of Cutie Marks, the applications of magic, the various races and their importance (mind, I started writing this... I believe shortly after A Canterlot Wedding's release...)
I did all the research I could on Vinyl and found out about Long Play who, at the time of writing this, had not only not been named, but also hadn't been confirmed as Vinyl's brother. So, that's actually who Echo was supposed to be. However, since Long Play's eventual reveal, I made Echo his own character... Sadly, I couldn't rewrite the whole story to include Vinyl's brother... So that's one weakness in my 'closeness to cannon' route. Then again, people argue that the comics aren't cannon, so... Really, I suppose that's all up in the air.

My primary method of segmenting two scenes is this;

♪♪♪

I would've made the symbols a 1212 pattern of Vinyl and Octavia's Cutie Marks... If Octavia's was a symbol available for common use. :/ Curse you, internet.
My dilemma is that the musical notes are used now to depict a passage of time, while a simple double-paragraph shows a shifting of perspective without a passage of time. This means I'll need multiple types of paragraph-breaks, which makes me concerned that it'll start to confuse the readers.

... Huh. I don't know why I hadn't considered blog posts to explain this stuff. I plan on giving blog posts to all of my OCs, both big and small, but I hadn't considered the 'lore' of my fic. Hm... I might write one on Destiny tonight. Or tomorrow. And, you are aware that I'm an author as well, right? :rainbowlaugh: I've not gotten my story published yet, but that's only because it's currently going through it's second wave of the editorial process. I've already spoken with several publishing agencies and I should be on shelves within two years.

-Inkheart

7422248

Honestly, the one with Echo as a main character seems like it could be really cool. I haven't read this whole story yet, which once I do I assume I'll be able to discuss this a lot more, but I recommend writing when you have the free time, ya know? Something extra, like if you've got nothing to do. If you do put actual music in there, whether its in text or linked or whatever you're going to do if you do it, I think you need to be really careful with if you do. It definitely would help the experience of reading what Echo makes, but I've seen it succeed and fail in fanfictions. Usually is a win or fail.

The EQG one, are you going to do some kind of short version of this story but in the EQG universe. I'm just kinda curious, because one, if you are doing that then it may get rejected by the Approvers for being the same story. If not, I am curious what you'd be doing. Would you plan on including the portal, or maybe referencing it?

I didn't know Vinyl had a brother. Sure, I haven't really been active in writing and watching the show since before the start of Season Five, but still. That's cool, have they said anything about Neon Lights, or is he just an OC. 'Cause I never really bothered to check. Is there any backstory to the guy, or is he just in some episode with her?

As for the spacing/intervention/time skip/whatever you wanna call it, I think you should go with the triple notes. Definitely helps with the look and feel of the story. I do think that you should probably play around with the size and amount of the notes. Ya know, to try and find the best, I guess, fit for the look and all that stuff.

By the way, totally didn't know that you were an author. You're probably the only other author I've talked to on this site other than the one I mentioned in my previous comment. Probably explains a lot, but my offer still holds, I'd be even more glad to help with and however I could. And once you do get that story out, you gotta tell me the name. I'm a huge reader, like my goal is to get a million pages read. Only at about 170,000, but I'm getting there. I would totally check out your book.

7422331
Yeah, it'll be difficult, making the music for Echo's story. I want to, that much is plain, but like this story, it will need to fit the overall genre... Rock, Thrash Metal and Death Metal, respectively over time. This story does the music right. You'll see it begin in Chapter 2. In fact, it's the music that made the story, not the other way around. You see, most of these chapters were inspired by a song or animation from the fandom. From there, I weaved the various stories of the songs together, making them into one grand narrative. Kind of.

The EQG story will follow a similar premise, but a different story. It will be more like the story presented in the animation for I Am Octavia, where the pair of musicians face a friendship-destroying problem and struggle to overcome it. This story takes a more loose interpretation on the concept and... Well, you'll see.

Long play has a very interesting design. I noticed him right away when I was reading the comics. He's not in the show itself, but appeared exclusively in the 'Cadence and Shining Armor' comics, in the past. He's directly connected to Vinyl getting her Cutie Mark too.

Neon Lights is a background pony with little attention given to him, much like Fiddlesticks. However, some fans note the obvious connections; Fiddlesticks is a recoloring of Octavia and Neon tends to wear clothing akin to Vinyl's, making people assume he's another DJ. This led to these ponies often being connected, it varying ways. In some headcannon, Fiddlesticks is Octavia's cousin. In mine, they're half-sisters, born only a few years apart.
As for Neon... Well, he's generally considered to be Vinyl's stallion ship, given the headcannon that he's a DJ. This is mostly for people who get squeamish when the word 'lesbian' comes up. However, I see them as a pretty good pairing, which is why Neon plays such a prominent roll in this story.

Neon himself is... Eh. He doesn't show up that often, his trademark glasses, shirt and tie tend to vanish and, much like Fiddlesticks, his cannon name has been shot down by Hasbro, basically. Fiddlesticks was cannonized as Fiddly Faddle and Neon Lights is Rising Star. Frankly, I like their fandom names a lot more.
Hell, Neon is so inconsistent, he even showed up as an Alicorn in the background at one point.

O my Luna such a good story just wow I can't even describe how well it was and know I want to read it over again,it was that good.

My fav chapter was the one where Octavia over hears vinyl and neon getting it on and she just flips out.idk why I like that chapter but it so far the one I remember the most.

If you ever print books of this book let me know man I would do anything to get a copy of your book with a autograph.:pinkiehappy:

7422847
I hadn't considered that... :rainbowderp: Well, that's a possibility, I suppose.

7425504
[Shipping Intensifies]

And thank you for your kind words. I loved the idea of Mites, personally. So much so that I plan on making a spinoff series that follows Dolus as he tries to convince more ponies to make the 'Freedom' wish on their Mites, in order to salvage his race.

7425591 I look forward to seeing how that pans out. He is a very interesting character. I would ask, how you arrived at the name 'Dolus'?

7425964
Eh... It hints at a few things later, so I won't spoil it for you. Go search for yourself; maybe you'll find something interesting.

It is at this time I stand up. Tuck in my chair and give you a round of applause. I greatly enjoyed and relished in the journey I have read in this fic. I suppose I have started commenting more on fics I enjoy. As a writer myself, I know the desire for comments. To know how people enjoy your work and if not, explain why. Well, I enjoy this fic. The story, the development, the drama! I know likely you are already proud of this fic. You have great reason and every right to be. I can promise you will see me further down the line. Either on one or your works or on one of mine. One thing is certain. I'll be in your comment section again very soon. :yay::moustache:

7427573
Thank you for all the praise. :twilightsmile:
And I imagine I will be seeing you soon. After all, this story isn't %100 over yet.

This has shot to the top 3 of my overall favorite story’s ever.:pinkiehappy: My only if any complaint is that Dolus did not have one last seen, At least at the wedding:fluttershysad: but all in all loved every min reading this.

7431275
First, your image is awesome.
Secondly, Dolus will be starring (Hehe) in his own side story; Dolus, the First Mite. It won't be super long - somewhere around ten to fifteen chapter, I imagine.
Ah! You don't have a space in your page for me to thank you! Well, I'll just do it here.
Thanks for the Watch and Favorite, man. I'm glad you enjoyed.

7431489
Wait, I thought all glowsticks were magic.

7438088
Hm... The earlier quote was supposed to be more "I'm curious to see..." while the later one is "I know it's the case..." I should've worded that better... *Editing, AWAY~!*

Looks like you put a lot of effort and diligence into this story. Kind of gets me motivated to write something. Almost. Definitely gonna read this one later.

7441203
Two years of work, actually; split between rewrites, research, planning, a few kerfuffles and constant revisions as I watched the series and saw new episodes. This fic is my labor of love to the series, it's music, it's fans and their music and... Well, everything FiM, I suppose.
I'm not really bragging... I feel like it'll look like I'm bragging. Really, I just want people to know they heart that went into this. It's my firm belief that a well written story, written with the author's heart in his fingertips, will far surpass one of the same quality, written with a more mundane attitude.

-Inkheart

7441211 Don't be ashamed of bragging a little bit. Some times it's deserved and I think you've earned some braggin' rights.

7441214
Hehe... Not until this is finished. While the main story is done, I've got a lot of bonus work to do. An artists work is never done. No time to stop and brag. :pinkiesmile: Well, maybe a little time to stop and brag. But still.

It took me about 3 days to read this story,since where I'm at I have no service and have to constantly look for wifi :fluttercry: .Though Everytime I finished a chapter and wasn't in wifi I looked like a crack addict to get to the next chapter!I thoroughly enjoyed this story sir thank you for writing it :pinkiesmile:

7446545
Haha~! Thank you very much for enjoying it. And keep an eye out; more things are on the way connected to this story. From a sequel following Fiddlesticks to a spin-off tracking Echo's progress through the Griffon Empire, I've got loads more goodies planned.

7446736 Looking forward to it :derpytongue2:

7449195
Thank you very much!
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Loved this story.

I just got done reading this for the second time and I have to say


DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!:rainbowkiss:

Woah man the feels trip is like a train. Gonna hop off here and wait for the next! Awesome story, despite few grammatical and spelling mistakes which I've long forgot about this story felt really well written in the character development section.

Looking forward to any subsequent writing of yours, unless I'm reading it already! :twilightsmile:

Wow..just...wow! This story has been so much fun to read and I've enjoyed this fanfiction very much! Thank you for making my life a little brighter!

9009991
Ping! After two years, I have returned!

9010302
Hah! Well, thank you very much. It's good to be back. Wrote new stories. Working on old ones. Bassdrops and Bowstrings is going to get a complete revision. My editing skills have vastly improved over the last two years, and I want it tip-top.

9010645
Eh, its mostly spelling errors.

9012031
Hehe. Oh believe me, all in good time. All in good time.

After reading the first 5 chapters, I gotta say I wished I read this one way sooner, because this is some excellent writing! The characters are very well developed and their struggles felt very realistic and I almost cried on several occasions. :raritycry:

Also having each chapter based on a Pony music video is very clever and brings back a whole bunch of nostalgia for me! :yay:

Login or register to comment