• Published 9th May 2016
  • 3,670 Views, 466 Comments

Between Bassdrops and Bowstrings - Quillian Inkheart



Following Vinyl Scratch, Octavia Melody, and many of Equestria's musicians in their struggles to bring music to Equestria and all it's ponies. A tale about music, romance, destiny and what it means to try and change it.

  • ...
12
 466
 3,670

Chapter 19: Home Is Where The Hearth Is

Chapter 19: Home Is Where The Hearth Is

Snow covered the ground of Ponyville and Vinyl couldn't be happier. Hearth's Warming Eve was here! Vinyl galloped into the bedroom, jumping onto the bed with a loud whoop.

The result was Octavia, along with her blankets and pillow, going slightly airborne before landing back on the bed. The cellist groaned and sat up, scowling. "You couldn't have woken me up less... well, like that?"

"Sorry, sorry. Anyway; Happy Hearth's Warmin' Eve!" Vinyl shouted, bouncing on the bed. "I've got all kinds of plans for us today. You kept your schedule clear like I asked?"

Octavia rolled onto her side, rubbing her eye with a hoof, the other one supporting her. She looked around, blinking. "By Celestia, the Princess hasn't even raised the sun yet... Ugh..." Octavia flopped back down, pulling a pillow over her head. "Vinyl, this is—"

"No sleeping!" Vinyl shouted, directly into her ear.

"— ridiculous." The reaction wasn't as dramatic as Vinyl would have wished, but Octavia flicked the offended ear a few times in irritation.

"Look, I need you to go get me some things, okay?" Vinyl levitated the blanket off Octavia, grinning. "You can nap when you get back, but this is super important."

Octavia groaned again, but rolled the rest of the way off the bed, landing on her hooves. "All right... But only because you're so persistent."

"And you love me." Vinyl dropped the blankets back on the bed, then made it with a flicker of magic. "Right?"

"Goes without saying, Vinyl." Octavia yawned and trotted to her vanity to make herself presentable. "Can you make me some coffee?" A cup clicked down beside her, steam rising from the drink. Just the right amount of cream, too. Vinyl had made it just the way her special-somepony loved it. Octavia gave a more appreciative sound. "You're an angel, Vinyl."

"Well, I was the one who woke you up in the first place, but..."

"Ah, fair point. Demon then." Octavia giggled, taking a careful sip from the coffee as she brushed her mane. "So, what do you need? And this had better be good."

"Well, I found out through a few friends of mine that Berry Punch just got her hooves on a really rare brand of wine. I figured we could bring her this and see if she'd be willin' to trade." Vinyl levitated an object off a nearby table, showing Octavia.

"That's... High-grade Gin. Where in Equestria did you—"

"Las Pegasus, remember? You came to my show and everything." Vinyl set the bottle beside Octavia. "Believe me, you'll love what she's got."

Octavia blinked, clearly a bit skeptical. That, however, wasn't what she should've been skeptical of. With a waggle of her hoof, she shooed Vinyl away, finishing up her mane. "Okay... but I shouldn't be gone long."

"Ah, no worries. Hurry back."

Vinyl snickered as she sabotaged the door. Well, she didn't entirely sabotage it, so much as she re-hid the key and locked it. She had slipped Octavia's key out of her bag the previous night as well. "Phase three, done." Vinyl trotted back into the house, humming to herself. She would have a good twenty to thirty minutes before Octavia got home. She wouldn't want to keep her at the door for very long. That'd just make her mad.

Hurrying up the stairs, Vinyl found what she was looking for hidden away in her studio. She'd traded Berry in advance for the Sparkling Crystal Champagne; getting her to part with something so rare had been quite a challenge. Luckily, Vinyl knew ponies.

Trotting down the steps, Vinyl carefully spun the bottle of champagne beside her, humming a happy tune. She'd been planning this day for weeks, hoping to surprise Octavia with a romantic Hearth's Warming Eve together. It was, after all, their first major holiday as a couple.

She ducked into the kitchen, digging into the freezer for ice, putting that in a small bucket, and putting the champagne inside. Walking back out to the living room, Vinyl started singing to herself, excited and nervous at the same time. Planning things ahead like this wasn't her strong suit and she was eager to make sure everything went perfectly.

A knock made her nearly drop the bucket. There was no way Octavia had been that fast! And yet...

Another knock. "H-Hold on!" Vinyl yelped out, setting the bucket onto the table beside the couch, quickly digging through the cushions. She laughed, pulling out the socks she'd bought from that... adult store over in Las Pegasus before they'd come home. Another knock, this one more insistent.

"Holf awn!" Vinyl said, tugging the socks on with her teeth as she lit a few candles with magic. She hopped over to the couch, pulling another sock on, and flopped onto it. She rolled over, facing the door, and sighed. "Oh, yeah! I put the key under the left flowerpot! Come on in!"

There was a long pause, the sound of a lock clicking and the door opened.

"Surprise!" Vinyl shouted, tossing her hooves out towards the door.

The couple in the doorway looked quite surprised indeed. Vinyl snapped up a pillow and covered herself on a pure knee-jerk reaction. "Y-Your not— Wait! Miss Pitch?"

"Melodious, I can not see the surprise." The stallion of the pair said, sounding a little confused.

"Good..." Octavia's mother sighed and spun the stallion around, pushing him back outside. "Wait out there." She looked back on Vinyl with a rueful little smile. "Ah, still the Vinyl I expect and adore. Waiting for a stallion friend?" Melodious Pitch trotted over and blinked when she saw the champagne. "Oh my... That's... quite an expensive brand." She was trying to ease the awkwardness in the room. It wasn't really working all that well.

"Y-Yeah. I, uh... saved up." Vinyl was still covering herself, blushing beet red. "What're you... doin' here, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Oh, sorry... Octavia's father came in from Canterlot and... Well, it's been along time since she'd last seen him, so we decided to swing by and surprise her."

"O-Oh... Well, I'm surprised. Very surprised." Vinyl cleared her throat.

"I imagine so. As were we." That only made Vinyl blush more. Pitch gave a slight chuckle, shaking her head. "Relax, Vinyl. I've known you since you were a filly; I'm practically like your second mother at this point. I've seen worse. If I might ask, where is my daughter?"

"Out. I sent her out to get somethin' for me. She shouldn't be back for a bit."

"Oh... I see you had this all quite planned out. Shall me and Otto head upstairs so you can set it all back up again?" Melodious Pitch looked to the door. "I might need to blindfold him..."

"No, no that's cool..." Vinyl hopped up, quickly tugging off the stockings and flinging the pillow off to the side. "I don't think the one this is all for would really appreciate it when guests are here, you know?" She smiled, trying to recover. By Celestia, what do you say after something like this?!

"Hello mother." Octavia said from the door, looking a little agitated.

Salvation! "Hey Tavi, your father is—"

"Right outside, I'm aware. Berry didn't have anything, so why did you...?" Octavia blinked, taking in the surroundings. "Ah... Well, that explains a few things." She cleared her throat and looked to her mother. "Bad first impression?"

"Your father is a stallion." Melodious Pitch said, as if that explained everything, and started for the door. Vinyl scooted to Octavia's side, flushed.

"Sorry, I thought it was you, so..." She whispered, trying to beat down her blush.

"That's okay. Thank you for all this. But I think your plans will need to wait..." Octavia whispered back and sighed, frowning as her father trotted inside again. "It's going to be... a very difficult Hearth's Warming..."

Vinyl nodded. Octavia had yet to tell her family about the two of them. As far as even Melodious Pitch knew, they were still just friends.

Falsetto Melody – or Otto as his family called him – was a ridiculously rigid pony. Vinyl could see it in the way he carried himself, the way he dressed, the way he looked at her. "You must be Vinyl Scratch. Melodious Pitch told me about you..." His voice conveyed a faint degree of disapproval that made Vinyl worry. He was an Earth Pony, much like Octavia and his ex-wife, and had struggled to accomplish his musical feats, where Octavia had simply been a natural. If he held any resentment about this fact, it didn't show.

"Otto, we talked about this." Melodious Pitch gave her ex-husband a harsh stare, to which he cleared his throat again, more nervously this time.

"You are my daughter's oldest and dearest friend... Please, forgive me for judging you on appearances and reputation, without getting to know you myself." Falsetto offered Vinyl a hoof, smiling benignly. "My name is Falsetto Melody. It is a pleasure to meet you."

Vinyl blinked, bumping her hoof to his, completely mistaking the gesture. "Well, it's awesome to meet you, Mr. Fal. I know I'm a little wild, but don't worry, I ain't that bad."

Falsetto blinked and looked at his hoof, withdrawing it slowly. "Yes, well..." He stood back, looking around the room at the various candles. "You seem to have good taste in decor."

Vinyl was about to say that this was all Octavia's stuff, but she nodded, smiling. "Y-Yeah, thanks. I work real hard to make this place look as nice as possible." Octavia let out a sigh of relief behind her, moving to her rescue.

"Well, the day is still young. What do you all say to some breakfast?" Octavia asked, trotting towards the kitchen. "I can make something nice for the four of us in no time."

"Fiddlesticks is off in Canterlot." Pitch said, sitting in the living room after breakfast. The meal had been silent, Vinyl still moping about her plans falling apart. She had munched her toast and tried to not let her disappointment show. "Her Special Somepony invited her over and I wasn't going to tell her no."

"Neon's a nice stallion." Vinyl put in simply, smiling from her seat on the couch. "A little wild, and not a little selfish, but for his special somepony, he'd give the coat off his back."

"I would hope," Falsetto said bluntly. "He's dating Melodious Pitch's daughter. Not some two-bit nopony." He sipped from a tea glass, along with his daughter and ex-wife. Vinyl was politely holding the glass, but not drinking. Tea made her gassy.

"Well, since she wasn't here, we decided to come see you and Vinyl. It's been ages since we spent a holiday together as a family. And when your father showed up for a visit, I knew Celestia had to have blessed us with some of her own luck." Pitch nodded confidently. "We have presents."

Vinyl's ears perked. She always loved presents. This almost made everything less crappy.

"You cannot open them until tomorrow, of course." Falsetto said bluntly. "It wouldn't be proper."

"Pfft..." Falsetto's eyes snapped to Vinyl at the noise, silent as it was, and the mare withered slightly under the glare, quickly turning the sound into a 'coughing fit.' She was glad she'd decided to put her glasses on after breakfast, or Falsetto might have seen her roll her eyes as well.

Sighing, Falsetto looked back to his tea. "I suppose I shouldn't expect others to respect our own traditions."

Pitch spoke up, after a sip of her own drink. "Actually Otto, we've changed our traditions up slightly. Everypony gets to open one gift the night before, to get them excited for the larger opening the next day." Falsetto gave his head a rueful shake, but said nothing. "Isn't that right, Octavia?"

Octavia was simply staring at her drink, her ear flicking every now and then. She had this strange, vacant look in her eyes.

"Octavia? Are you well?" Falsetto leaned forward, looking worried. It was the first expression Vinyl had seen on him other than smug superiority or contempt. It seemed his daughter was a soft spot in him. "Octavia!"

Octavia jumped, snapping her head up. "Oh! I'm so sorry, I was... just thinking on things..." Her ear gave another flick, an action that didn't go unnoticed. Vinyl chewed on her lip, wondering what it meant.

"No harm done, my little symphony." Pitch set her glass down. "I was just telling your father about our 'One Gift' tradition."

Octavia nodded slightly. "It's a rather nice mixing up of the holiday's usual fare, father. You should give it a try this year and see what you think?"

Falsetto looked a little put-off for a moment, but the expression melted away, as if it'd just been some wax mask. "I cannot pretend to be upset with you both... Fine, we will try this new tradition."

Both mother and daughter broke into wide grins, fixated on Falsetto.

"Don't do that. Your jaws will lock in place." He said, finishing with a loud sip of tea.

"It's settled then. We'll each open one gift." Pitch nodded, then seemed to realize something. "Octavia, your father doesn't have any... We hadn't been expecting him, so..."

Octavia nodded and stood. "Me and Vinyl will run out and find something he will appreciate. You two make yourselves at home." The two older ponies nodded, smiling to one-another.

"Yes, I suppose we have some catching up to do. Has it been about two years since we last spoke?" Pitch asked the stallion.

"Two and a half, roughly." Falsetto nodded and took a lingering sip of his drink, closing his eyes. As Vinyl and Octavia walked out the door, closing it behind them, they had just enough time to hear one last thing from Octavia's father. "So, how is that country pony treating you?"

"Gotta say it; your dad pisses me off."

"Vinyl!" Octavia gasped.

"Would you rather I lied? He looks at me like I'm a stain on the rug or some animal droppings. He pretends to suck it up, but did you see how he glares at me?" Vinyl shook her head. "This is gonna be a terrible Hearth's Warming... And I'd worked so hard too..."

"Vinyl, I'm thankful for all your hard work, believe me." Octavia bumped her special mare, giving a little giggle. "And father glares at everypony. He's a master at it. Where did you think I learned to be so salty?" Octavia winked to Vinyl, who couldn't help but smile.

"You can be pretty bad, when you wanna be," Vinyl said, getting whacked in the face with Octavia's tail as she stepped on ahead.

"You're supposed to pretend like I'm not and compliment me, Vinyl." Octavia tried to sound stern, but her smirk and giggling made it a little hard to believe.

"Well, I swore I'd never lie to you. So there." Vinyl stuck her tongue out, hurrying to catch up. "Hey, Tavi... What's up with that ear-flick thing you did earlier? You've been doin' it more and more ever since that incident at the Rainbow Falls Exchange."

"It's... nothing, really." Octavia chuckled, a weak sounding noise. Vinyl knew she was hiding something.

"So, I swore I'd never lie to you... You make the same promise?" Vinyl raised an eyebrow over her glasses. "'Cause, if you did, I think you just broke it."

Octavia sighed. "Some truths are best kept secret, until the teller better understands them for themselves. I don't know what it is, but I'll tell you once I do. You know I'd never give you any reason to worry without a good reason, Vinyl." She looked around, knowing they were getting close. "Father plays the viola, so we could easily buy him a new bow or set of strings. However, I think I'll splurge and buy him an entirely new instrument."

"You sure?" Vinyl blinked, a little shocked. "You're normally a stickler with our bits..."

Octavia gave her a sidelong glance. "Well, it's a holiday and I don't see father all that often. Is it so wrong to want to spend on him?"

Vinyl raised her hooves. "No, I didn't mean that... Sorry, that came out really wrong." She dropped back to all fours, rushing to catch up as Octavia approached Pitch Perfect.

Slipping inside, the pair was greeted by Flare, who's grandfather had passed away not long ago. Maestro was sorely missed by Octavia and Vinyl, but Flare was determined to not let his sadness show to his customers. The old stallion had not wanted his passing to mar the lives of those he'd left behind; his final words were that deceleration exactly.

"Ah! My favorite musical duo; how are you two doing today?" Flare gave the couple his best smile, making Octavia feel a might guilty and quite embarrassed.

Vinyl and Flare had met and talked a few times about Octavia and what had happened on Hearts and Hooves day. The unicorn had insisted on talking to Flare, but hadn't told Octavia what it was about.

When Octavia asked how he'd guessed her feelings after the Changeling attack on Canterlot, he confessed a few... embarrassing little secrets that made Vinyl laugh to no end. Apparently, Octavia had been rather candid during the act with Flare, calling him by Vinyl's name more than once. It was a fact Vinyl never intended to let Octavia live down.

"We're here to pick up a high-quality viola, Flare." Octavia supplied, moving through her emotions. "My father, Falsetto, is in town and we need a last minute Hearth's Warming present."

Flare raised an eyebrow and nodded faintly. "Falsetto Melody, huh? I've heard his music. No offense, but I've never been a fan of him as a pony. His music is nice, but he's kinda stuffy."

"By Celestia, thank you." Vinyl groaned out.

"Shush you." Octavia bumped her again.

"Well, I think I've got just the thing for a practical pony like him. One moment, please." Flare ducked into the back and Octavia turned to Vinyl.

"You really should get used to my father, you know... We're going to have to tell him and mother about us at some point today." Octavia lowered her eyes, adopting a worried expression. "We can't keep it a secret forever..."

Vinyl put a hoof around her special mare, kissing her cheek. "Hey... Chin up, Tavi. I'll be right there with you through it all."

Octavia felt a smile steal it's way onto her face. It was hard to be worried so long as Vinyl was there. "I know you will, you silly mare." Octavia returned the kiss, giving Vinyl a quick hug. "And know that I'll love you, no matter what they say. You're mine, Vinyl Scratch."

Vinyl blushed a little, hugging Octavia back. "And you're mine, you stuffy cellist." Vinyl chuckled, leaning back from the hug as Flare came back into the room.

"Here you are. This may not be the best viola I have in stock, but it's an antique." Flare ceremoniously set the instrument on the counter, looking up to Octavia. "My grandfather made this for a customer when he was just starting his craft. The customer never payed and the instrument was put off to the side. Grandfather could never bring himself to sell it. He said that it helped him remember why he did what he did." Flare smiled, running a reverent hoof over the instrument. "To me, it's not so much valuable for that, as it is for it's incredible age and it's maker."

"You're sure you want to part with it?" Octavia trotted over, examining the piece. It's age showed, but not in a bad way. The instrument had been well maintained, presumably by Maestro, all these years. It was of fine darkwood, cut straight from trees grown deep in the Everfree. Getting the wood alone must have been a trial, but shaping it equally so; wood from the Everfree was notoriously hard to work with. It seemed to resist any and all attempts to be shaped.

"Yes. Grandfather would have wanted this passed on now that he's gone." Flare gave a small chuckle. "And I can't think of any pony I'd rather give it to than you, Octavia. I'm sure your father will adore it."

"Thank you, Flare. Here." Octavia brought up her bag of bits and Flare tried waved it back down. "Oh, no. You aren't pulling that 'no charge' thing with me, Symphonic Flare." Octavia grinned and set the bag on the counter. "You'll take these bits and like it."

Flare gave a small smile, shaking his head. "Vinyl, you are a terrible influence on her."

"You kidding? She was always this bossy." Vinyl snickered, earning her another bump from her lover.

"Quiet you. Lets get this home."

Octavia was relieved to find her parents right where she left them. There had been no arguments, no snide remarks and no physical scuffles, so far as Octavia could tell. The two seemed to be actually having a fair time, which was strange for them. Octavia decided to not look a gift horse in the mouth and trotted into the room, Vinyl levitating her present along with her.

"We're back," Vinyl said proudly, waggling the wrapped box, "and we got a sick present."

Falsetto raised an eyebrow, but nodded. "Well, thank you for going out with my daughter, Miss Scratch. Having a unicorn along makes things much easier."

"You don't need to be so formal with me. Call me Vinyl."

"I would much prefer to maintain formality." Falsetto lifted his head. "It's what keeps us ponies separated from the animals."

While her parents would miss it, Octavia could see the subtle signs of Vinyl's rising anger; the clenching of her jaw and the slight flutter to her tail. She quickly interjected herself, stepping forward. "Why don't you open it right now? We can start off with you and work our way around the room. Vinyl, pass it here."

There was a brief moment where Vinyl worked her jaw a bit, but Octavia could see the stress drain from her. Vinyl was having a particularly rough day. She levitated the box over to her special mare and trotted to the couch, taking a seat again. Meanwhile, Octavia delivered the box to her father.

Falsetto opened the box slowly – carefully – earning a very quiet groan from Vinyl. As he opened the box that held his new instrument, his eyes widening in silence. After a moment, he reached a hoof in, drawing out the instrument gingerly. "A darkwood viola? How...?" He trailed off, leaning in to inspect the finer details. "Maestro... That old coot..." He said the words with a particular fondness. "He always did make the best of the best... I heard of his recent passing, but..." He lowered the instrument and looked over to Octavia. "You knew him?"

Octavia nodded, along with Vinyl. The two looked to one another and shared a brief smile, remembering the elderly stallion who helped to bring them together.

"He was a treasure in this world. Equestria is worse off without him." The stallion said, closing his eyes briefly before opening them and smiling. Carefully, Falsetto replaced the instrument in it's box. "You've given me a gift with no comparison, Octavia..."

"And Vinyl as well..." Octavia tilted her head towards Vinyl. "She chipped in to help pay."

Turning his head, Falsetto examined the DJ for a moment before lowering his gaze. "It seems I owe you an apology for how I've been acting. Thank you for this beautiful gift."

Vinyl bit back her immediate retort – wondering how much his kindness normally costed – instead opting to smile and nod back. She didn't trust herself to speak right then. Down the line, the family opened presents. Pitch giggled when she saw the photo album Octavia had put together; made special for her. Octavia had smiled when she saw Vinyl's present for her; a series of 'coupons' for everything from a back massage to a 'Make Vinyl Hoof-wash the Dishes' slip. Octavia knew that was only one of the gifts, but she felt like it would be her favorite.

Vinyl grinned when her turn came, snatching a present up swiftly with her magic. "All right!" She shouted, just as Octavia gasped.

"Vinyl, not that one!" But the unicorn had already pulled the present open, blushing at the contents.

"Is that... Oh, my..." Pitch blushed faintly, clearing her throat. "Well, this certainly has been an interesting holiday..."

The gift was a 'special' outfit, purchased at the same store Vinyl had purchased her socks from. Octavia had known about Vinyl's plan for some time now, but had been playing along silently, all the while planning a surprise of her own.

Vinyl cleared her throat loudly, sliding the present off behind the chair she was sitting in. "Let's keep this simple; nopony saw that."

"No, I think that we won't push that aside so simply..." Falsetto's voice made everypony in the room turn to him. He was sitting up straight, a blank look on his face. "Care to tell me why you were giving her something like that, Octavia?"

Octavia had hoped her father and mother wouldn't notice her name on the box. She took a deep breath, feeling crowded all of a sudden. Her eyes darted around, as if looking for a physical escape from this. She blinked when she saw Vinyl at her side; she wasn't sure when she'd gotten there. Slowly, Octavia calmed, looking back to her parents.

Her father looked much the same, only now his eyes had a look of strong disapproval, as if that alone could and would dissuade Octavia from what he had to have realized by now. Melodious Pitch had a look of surprise on her face; no doubt she had put the pieces together before her ex-husband. Unlike him, however, she looked more shocked than upset.

Octavia drew in a deep breath. "Mother, father; I have a confession. Vinyl is more than just my roommate and friend. She's my—"

"I won't stand for it!" Falsetto cut Octavia off, bringing his hoof down hard on the table in front of him, making the mare shy back. His calm demeanor had completely vanished, replaced by one of anger. "I didn't raise some gender-confused mare. I raised a mare with class, with the right morals! How could you—"

"You didn't raise me at all, Dad!" Octavia interrupted him, shaking her head. "You weren't ever there. But that's hardly the point." Octavia scowled at him, stilling her head to stare straight at him. "I love Vinyl, father. She makes me whole and happy. Nopony else has ever made me feel even half as complete as she has, being only my friend... As my lover, she has completely rewired how I see the world."

Octavia felt a hoof slide over her; a body pressing against her side. It was a thankful and supportive gesture... Octavia would need it. Her father's eyes were wide, his jaw clenched, and his body trembling. A long-buried emotion made Octavia feel like a filly again, looking up at her angry father with terror. He never let his temper show; that had always been the scariest part about him. Only one time had it ever come through and Octavia remembered it well. He'd screamed at her, a little filly, for damaging his viola. He scared her so badly, she cried until he came in hours later and apologized.

There would be no apology this time, she was certain. Octavia braced herself, ready for anything he had to say about her. Pitch was saying something to him, trying to make him calm down, but Octavia knew her father. He would say what he wanted to say, no matter who he hurt.

"You... You filthy, white-coated..." Falsetto began. Octavia looked over to Vinyl, the real target of her father's ire. "You perverted my daughter's mind with your..." He sputtered, trying to find the right words. "I will not have my daughter stay here, under the roof of some... some spiked-haired dyke an—"

Vinyl had enough. She snarled, her horn shimmering with magic.

"Father!" Octavia's voice made her stop. The cellist looked furious, almost a copy of her father's rage. Falsetto shied back slightly, but Octavia just took a step forward, approaching him. "Say whatever you want about me. Spit on my good name. Disown me. I don't care. But don't you ever say anything foul about Vinyl in my presence. She's been the best thing to ever happen to me; the complete opposite of a sire who was only there when it was convenient for him! Your ineptitude to raise me and care for Mother is what drove you from our lives. I will not have you pretend like you have any weight in any decision I make; I am my own mare, not some trophy for you to put on display."

Falsetto was slowly leaning back into his chair, his eyes adopting a more shocked look with every word.

"You come here, expecting something from me that I'll never give you; forgiveness. I love you, but I will never forgive you for how terrible of a father you were to me. I won't let you continue that pattern now." Octavia stood at the center of the room, close to her mother, her eyes riveted to her father. "Get out of my house. So long as this is your attitude towards Vinyl, I never want to see you again."

The words shook Falsetto like a physical blow. He quickly stuffed his emotions away – something Octavia was all too familiar with – pretending like the words didn't affect him, but hurt still lingered in his eyes. Rising, he climbed from the chair. "I... Yes, I do think my involvement in your life has reached it's limit. My tolerance can't be stretched this far..." He glared over to Vinyl, who sat in silence. Octavia had said enough already. "You've destroyed my little filly. I hope you're happy."

"She didn't do anything to me, father. I made this decision myself. If you're too blind to see that, then you've no place here." Octavia stepped aside, showing her father the door. With a sniff and a flick of the head, Falsetto stormed out, slamming the door loudly behind him. His gift lay forgotten on the floor beside where he had been sitting.

There was a long period of silence; the only sound was Octavia's labored breathing. Then, Pitch spoke up, sliding closer to her daughter. "Octavia... Are you okay?"

The question was too much. Tears rushed into Octavia's eyes and she collapsed, trembling all over. She wept, unable to pretend like it didn't hurt any longer. She knew – though she loathed to admit it – that she'd never see her father again. He'd never reconcile with this; he was a true-bred Canterlot pony, filled with all the bigotry and hatred that city bred.

Pitch and Vinyl rushed to her side, helping her to a couch to let her emotions run their course. Once her tears were behind her, Octavia looked to her mother. "I am so very sorry I ruined the holiday..."

Pitch shook her head sadly, running a hoof over her daughter's mane. "You didn't. My little symphony, I adore you and every decision you make. I support you, no matter what. I love you and Vinyl like my own daughters and seeing you together makes me happier than you know. I only wish you had told me this sooner, sweetheart. I could have worked with you to keep it a secret, or broke the news to your father a little less..." She peered over to where the outfit was hidden by the chair. "... poorly..."

Octavia shook her head. "I was scared. I wasn't sure how you'd react." She looked to the door, feeling the tears return. "I just never imagined it would come to this."

Vinyl put her head against Octavia's side, closing her eyes. She was silent, but her presence comforted Octavia all the same. Pitch stayed until Octavia felt better, rising once her daughter stopped crying. "I'm going to try and find your father... Maybe I can... do or say something to salvage this..." She galloped out of the house, hoping against hope that she could mend this broken relationship.

Vinyl and Octavia moved to the couch, Octavia laying her head over Vinyl's hooves. She sighed out, pain still heavy in her mind. "Vinyl... Can I turn in that Back Massage coupon now?"

"You get one free of charge..." Vinyl leaned down, kissing her special mare on the top of her head. "And later, once you feel better, we can have a nice glass of champagne and I'll try on that outfit you got me."

Octavia gave a little chuckle, snuggling into Vinyl. She was starting to feel better already. As long as her mother supported her, she would be okay. Her father... She could live without his approval. She rolled over onto her back, staring up at Vinyl with sultry eyes. "Who said that outfit was for you to wear?"

Author's Note:

Firstly, a story-wide edit. I've reverted Mixed Media's name back to my original idea of Melodious Pitch after a discussion with the creator of the Mixed Media character. He politely requested I not use the name and I wholeheartedly accept his decision. I respect his art and his characters and won't use them if he says so. No harm, no foul, as they say. :twilightsmile: The same goes for Falsetto replacing Ostin. Luckily, he's not so widespread.

Secondly... this is a fine example of another chapter coming out different from what I planned. I really wanted Falsetto to be a laid-back, space-cadet kind of musician. However, I confess, I like him more this way. Serious is the primary theme of this story, so I won't mind sticking to it, even if it means writing Octavia's father out to be an asshole.

Lastly, I feel the need to point out; I strongly disagree with Falsetto's opinions. I myself don't let gender get in the way of who I love. I have no preference and I've never fallen for another man, but I don't allow tunnel-vision narrow the list of possible relationships. I wouldn't call myself bisexual, more Omnisexual or Pansexual. I hold no dislike towards those who seek love within the same gender; the only thing that can make me dislike someone is their actions.

This chapter was inspired by this comic by Bobthedalek. Check out his other images; they're freakin' hilarious!