• Published 7th May 2016
  • 4,656 Views, 1,953 Comments

Ratchet and Clank: The Starlight of Solana - Blackdrag-rose



Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer grow up alongside Ratchet on Veldin, where they begin an epic journey to save the galaxy.

  • ...
28
 1,953
 4,656

PreviousChapters Next
Time: Zanifar

Starlight and the others left Sunset in the room that they had given to her back when she and Searing had come aboard the Hyperion, leaving her to grief over the loss of her sister, while at the same time giving Starlight time to tell the others about what they had just witnessed. It was on thing to see Searing dissolve into a crystal and be collected by the Zoni, though it was another thing to accept the fact that she and Sunset were actually two more of Sunset Shimmer's aspects, of which there were ten if Hatred was to believed. She still found it odd that she had been correct in her thinking, about what happened to her sister and who the strange creatures they had fought were, but that didn't change the fact that the pegasus that was remaining in her room was grieving over her loss.

"If we were talking about anyone other than Sunset Shimmer I would have said we were insane," Angela commented, to which most of the group nodded with her statement, "but we have the face the facts; our God of Destruction has been shattered into ten aspects, though only five of them remain at the moment. We have to find Hatred, Despair, Doubt, and whoever the tenth aspect is so we can restore Sunset to her original state... but at this point I don't think that our current Sunset is even in the mood to help us, not after what happened to her sister."

"I'm going to kill Hatred the next time we see her," Ratchet growled, fingering the handle of his wrench for a few seconds, which had been left in its bladed form due to the evacuation of the Battleplex, "Sunset Glider may not be our sister, not fully anyway considering that she's one of the ten aspects, but no one deserves to have one of their family members taken from them like that. I feel sorry for her, I really do, but I'm going to make sure that the evil aspect pays for this... and I think all of you want the same thing that I do at the moment."

Starlight knew that none of them liked Hatred at the moment, not after the act she had just committed, but she also knew that all of them needed to focus on the facts and return to rescuing Orvus from Nefarious' grasp. She had to assume that the reason the elderly Zoni had been captured was because he figured that Nefarious was an enlightened mind that could handle the knowledge they were going to talk about. Of course Orvus had been captured at some point during his visit, which meant that he had been tricked in some manner, though while she thought about how they were going to infiltrate the base she noticed that she had a notice on her tablet that indicated that the Hyperion had a package waiting in the airlock.

She sighed and walked over to the location the notice had come from, leaving the others to talk about their plans for Hatred when they finally caught up to her and took her out, before she reached her destination. She quickly found a package waiting for her, though inside it she found two of the Negotiator rocket launchers, no doubt one for her and one for Ratchet, and a small security device... which had a note indicating that it was related to Nefarious' base. Based on the note she had to assume that one of the Terachnoids had sent her this package, though she knew that her brother was going to be interested in the new weapon they had acquired.

When Starlight returned to the bridge she told the others what she had found, noticing the excited look in Ratchet's eyes, before explaining that the security device might help them on Zanifar... where she discovered that Azimuth was heading somewhere else, as if he had found something out and didn't want to bother them until he determine how important the something was. They discussed the plan of attack, which was simply charging through the base, saving anyone that had been enslaved, and then enter the time gate so they could save Orvus from whatever Nefarious was doing to him.

After about thirty minutes they had reached Zanifar, which was really close to where the Battleplex was located, though as they parked the Hyperion and prepared to get in their ships they noticed that Sunset Glider was waiting for them... though she had activated the secondary form of her armor, while the electricity was offline at the moment.

"Sunset, shouldn't you be grieving?" Angela asked, somewhat surprised that the pegasus was even standing before them, much less armed for war against whoever pissed her off.

"I am... but I need to be on the battlefield," Sunset replied, raising a hoof to her face and wiping away some tears that she had felt, before trying to steel herself once more, "Searing wouldn't want to see me just give up and mope after her death... she would want to see me fight our enemies with all of my strength. Taking out Nefarious' forces and saving anyone he's enslaved will make me feel much better."

Angela knew that the pegasus was only saying that to make them think that she was okay, but they all knew that her heart had been shattered with the death of the aspect that had been her sister, because the two of them had bonded over the six months they had spent together... and now she was feeling the pain that Hatred had inflicted on her. Angela wanted Sunset to stay here, where the AI could try and help her overcome what she was feeling, but she decided that it might be best if they let her do whatever she wanted, despite the fact that, if she were in Sunset's position, she would have gotten over her grief before going to another planet. She guessed that Sunset had some level of determination inside her, if she was willing to go into battle while trying to overcome her grief, but merely beckoned for the pegasus to join them inside Aphelion.


When the group landed near the fortress that Nefarious had built on the planet, in his image no less, they immediately encountered a walking mushroom creature that wanted to eat them, but Ratchet and Starlight took it out with their new Negotiator weapons. The creature separated into four smaller ones, which were taken down by their handheld weapons, before they took a moment to reflect on what was in front of them. The next location they needed to move towards had a small gap between them, though Sunset glared at the robots that were patrolling the building in front of them and launched herself into the air, to which she flew over to the other side and sliced her targets into pieces with her wing blades.

As the foes fell, and the group caught up to the upset pegasus, the door opened and two more enemies poured out of the building, to which they tore them apart with their various weapons before Starlight summoned a small barrier to prevent the walking tank from damaging them with its cannons. She then nodded to Sunset, who burst into the air and charged at the enemy, where she took out its targeting controls and caused it to move wildly around the area, allowing the others to come and help her cut it to pieces. They then walked through the building and found a lone robot standing in front of the weapon vendor, where they let Ratchet shoot it to pieces before they activated the vendor.

It was then that Starlight discovered that the Cyromine Glove, basically a weapon that threw bombs that could freeze enemies where they were standing, was in stock, to which she and Ratchet grabbed one and continued forward. With their weapons restocked, and the new one acquired, they walked out of the building they were in and found that some Fongoids were trapped behind a security fence.

"Praise Orvus, two Lombaxes and their allies!" the leader said, though as he said that Starlight wondered if the man was acting, because he didn't sound like a prisoner that had experienced years of imprisonment, "Have you come to rescue us?"

"Yes and no," Ratchet replied, because while they had come to save Orvus he knew that they would save the Fongoids as well, despite the fact that they seemed like they were acting for some reason, "What happened here?"

"Dr. Nefarious arrived a little over two years ago, and tricked us into helping him build this outpost." the leader explained, though once again Starlight thought that his statement sounded a tad bit fake, as if he had rehearsed what he needed to say before their arrival, "Before we knew it, his troops were herding us into detainment camps! The gates are controlled by that guard tower up there."

The group looked at each other as the Fongoid leader pointed up at the guard tower in question, each of them wondering why the man was acting in front of them, before they each sighed and walked around the area the Fongoids were being held in. Once they found the next path they needed to take, the one that would allow them to access the guard tower, they spotted more of Nefarious' robots coming their way, to which they opened fire and started dismantling them. As enemy ships started bringing in more targets Ratchet beckoned to Sunset, who flared her wings and took to the skies, where pieces of robots rained down on the battlefield as she took her anger out on her new targets, while at the same time preventing the rest of the group from being swarmed by enemies.

While they fought against the group in front of them Starlight overhead one of them mentioning that their orders were to 'capture' them and not 'kill' them, which made her wonder what other strange facts they were going to find on this planet.

Once they happened to finish off the rest of the robots they moved through the area they happened to be guarding and found another Fongoid that appeared to be hiding, where he claimed that he had escaped the detainment camps and was trying to get home. Ratchet took out the Omnisoaker gadget they had picked up back on Lumos and soaked up some of the nearby water, so he could launch himself into the air a few times before he landed near a nectar plant that the little swarm creatures liked. The moment he had the nectar he loosed a small charge of it so he could reach the bolt crank without being eaten alive, to which he hurried over to where the white ivy was blocking their way and put another cluster of the nectar on it.

A few seconds later and the white ivy was no longer blocking their way, allowing them to 'escort' the Fongoid to his house... which happened to have a large vine growing out of the ground, one that wrapped between some buildings and stopped at a platform that would eventually allow them to access the guard tower they needed to get into. Ratchet and Angela jumped onto the vine and rode down it like it was one of the rails they used on another planet, while Starlight followed with her magical platforms and Sunset flew through the air. Once that was done the two Lombaxes used their new boots, as Starlight's clone had made a pair of the hoverboots for Angela some time ago and she had presented it to her while they weren't busy, to access the platform above them. They took out the small group of enemies that were waiting for them and then accessed some jump pads, which allowed them to glide down to the back entrance of the guard tower.

Seeing how they had the security card in hand, thanks to one of the Terachnoids that had seen Searing's death, they were able to access the back entrance of the guard tower and immediately opened fire on the enemies that were waiting for them, catching some of them off guard in the process. They found a tank enemy guarding the controls they were looking for, though it was, once again, easy for them to take it out thanks to Sunset damaging it like the last one, to which they hacked it apart and searched for the switch they were after. After a few seconds Starlight tapped the yellow button and the force fields went down, to which the Fongoids seemed to cheer as they stretched their legs... though for some reason she still felt that they were acting and not telling them the truth.

Now that the way to the time gate was open, and they didn't have to worry about any reinforcements, the group made their way down to their destination... though as they approached it Sunset stopped before they even reached it.

"Is something wrong Sunset?" Angela asked, knowing that the mare had to be hurting on the inside, though she knew of no real way to help her at the moment.

"I... I won't be going into the past with you," Sunset replied, causing Ratchet to snap around in shock, though she held a hoof up to stop them from talking her into following them, "I cannot go into the past with you... because two years ago I was once apart of Sunset Shimmer and my presence might do something to her, which could result in me messing with the timeline. I'll just stay here and hold down the fort, which should be easy considering we just killed all of Nefarious' soldiers like they were nothing."

Angela wanted to say something that would convince Sunset to come with them, but when she considered who Sunset Shimmer was two years ago, when she was whole and not fragmented between ten aspects, she knew that this Sunset had a point. Bringing her into the past could very well have serious consequences that they weren't aware of, which meant that she would have to stay put and make sure that no more guards came looking for them. She nodded and ran her hand through Sunset's hair, before letting out a sigh and followed both Ratchet and Starlight into the time gate, heading two years into the past if what Clank had told them had been accurate.


When the group emerged from the time gate they were not so shocked to find that the ground was full of life, which meant that it was in a different season of the year when Orvus had disappeared than the winter the planet was experiencing in the future. As they looked around the place they noticed how similar the two points in time actually looked, leading Starlight to wonder if the fortress might have been built to protect the Fongoids from the natural dangers of the planet, rather than act as a detainment camp. In the future she knew that all of the huts were still intact, despite being covered in snow thanks to the winter they were going through, which made her wonder if Nefarious had actually treated these Fongoids with respect and had put their needs above his own.

They also found an asteroid lodged in the ground, though Starlight had the suspicion that it was where Nefarious and Lawrence had been teleported to back when she and her family had beaten his plans to turn the Solana Galaxy into robots... but all of them agreed it was a little weird to hear that the Fongoids respected the villain in return. They decided to make their way to the main structure of the future outpost, which they couldn't access for some reason, and found a Fongoid waiting by a rusted up bolt crank.

"Hey!" the Fongoid said, warmly greeting them as they came to a stop in front of him, "Are you here to help build Dr. Nefarious' outpost? We just finished building the bridge, but the winch crank rusted up, so we can't lower it."

"Actually, we heard that Orvus was coming to this planet and we came to meet him," Ratchet said, though he changed his tone to sound more friendly, which he had gotten better at thanks to his time on Clank's show so many years ago, "Do you know where he might be?"

"Sure I do. Everyone in the village knows that Orvus is inside the main building of Dr. Nefarious' outpost." the Fongoid replied, as if the information was common knowledge to everyone, but he didn't seem upset that they had asked him, "Can you imagine what those two have to talk about? Dr. Nefarious is brilliant!"

While Starlight admitted that some of Nefarious' designs were definitely brilliant, which she did silently because she didn't want the others to know that fact, she knew that they needed to get inside, which meant that she had to ask the question.

"Well then, we need to get inside the main building." Starlight stated, letting out a sigh as she racked her brain for something that would allow them to get across the gap without exhausting her magic, "What can we do to help?"

"Nothing we can do," the Fongoid offered apologetically, though the look on his face indicated that there might be something that could aid them in the near future, "We'll just have to wait for them to finish building the oil derrick first."

Starlight's eyes widened as she glanced at the structure in question, and remembered how it had looked two years from now, before she grabbed the Omnisoaker and darted back through the time gate, leaving Ratchet and Angela to look confused for a few moments. A few seconds later she came charging through the gate and stopped in front of them, to which she loosed a small bit of the oil she had gathered and got rid of the rust that was on the bolt crank. Ratchet smiled as he pulled the lever and lowered the bridge into place, allowing them to access the building as Starlight returned the gadget that she had taken from him.

"Starlight, what did you do to get that oil?" Angela asked, though she asked the question because she was curious as to the speed at which the unicorn was able to get the substance they needed in such a short amount of time.

"Oh, I simply teleported over to the oil derrick, threw the enemies into the air, and grabbed a sample," Starlight replied, to which she and the others walked across the bridge so they could enter the building, "then I came back and opened the way forward. It was rather easy to figure out once he mentioned the oil derrick."

Ratchet nodded as they entered the building that Nefarious and Orvus were inside, though they ignored the weapon vendor in case it might cause some damage to the timeline if they bought ammunition for weapons that didn't exist. Though it appeared that they didn't need their guns at all, because they were able to make their way to some sort of meeting room without any guards showing up to stall them. They only came to a stop when they heard the sound of Nefarious talking, though it sounded like he was discussing something with someone important... which the three of them assumed had to be Orvus.

"And your sure that the Fongoids will be okay with this?" Nefarious asked, surprising the group with the concern that the evil villain had for the people he was about to enslave, once again making Starlight wonder if there was more to this than what they had seen, "Your asking them to pretend to be helpless prisoners when Ratchet and his family come here in two years."

"I know that they don't like deceiving people, but even they know that preserving the timeline is important," a second voice said, though it sounded like someone that was much older than Nefarious, which meant that it had to be Orvus, "besides, once the heroes come here and 'free' them from your 'cage' they'll quickly revert back to their previous lives... though with some defense systems to keep them safe from people like the Agorians."

"The Agorians will be unable to penetrate this base," Nefarious remarked, as if he was proud of the work that went into the outpost, "Ratchet and his family, on the other hand, should be able to get here... without much effort... on their part..."

"Nefarious, are you sure that your okay?" Orvus asked, though the group was surprised to hear that the Zoni was concerned about something, though that was followed by the sound of the robot doctor collapsing on the ground, "Nefarious, how long are you going to resist restoring your core? Those claw marks are slowly killing you."

"They remind me... to never mess with someone... whose on a level beyond me," Nefarious replied, to which he coughed for a few seconds, though the group could tell that he was in pain.

"Well, we can't have you die just yet," Orvus said, to which the group heard the sounds of something that Starlight identified as temporal magic being used, "I'll restore your core to its original state... but I'll leave these marks as scars, to remind you of Sunset Shimmer and the lessons that she taught you. I'll also leave behind this disc, so that when the time comes the Zoni will come for you and give you further instructions..."

Ratchet held up a hand and beckoned everyone back out of the building, knowing that it was impossible for Orvus to have suddenly disappeared without a trace, not when Nefarious was apparently on his side and taking orders from him. That fact told him that the leader of the Zoni was still out there, in the future, and he was purposely hiding himself from everyone... including Clank, who was his own son. He could tell that both Angela and Starlight were confused by this information, because nothing was adding up when it came to Nefarious anymore. Ratchet guessed that Sunset had more of an effect on the evil doctor than any of them could have realized, but that still meant that something didn't add up.

Ratchet sighed as the group crossed back to the present, rejoined Sunset Glider near the ship, and returned to the Hyperion... though he guessed the next thing on their list was trying to find Azimuth and seeing if he had found the location of the Great Clock on his own.

PreviousChapters Next