• Published 11th Dec 2016
  • 380 Views, 6 Comments

The Great Alicorn War - 21latenighter



The war that brought out the worst death toll in equstrian history, but the creation of the most powerful artifacts to ponykind, the elements of harmony.

  • ...
 6
 380

Painful Memories

"Remembrance is a strange thing, with love it's pain is bearable, with bitterness it simply destroys" ~ Elaine Di Rollo

The door opened as a yellow alicorn walked through into the War room. The room was aglow as the mare began to pace around the table of pieces in the center of the room. Her flowing luminescent blue and white mane brightened up the otherwise dark room. Her Cutie mark, a blazing sun not only adorned her flank, but moved on it's own and added it's own light to the room. She was pacing the room trying to find words to say to her two young daughters. Tonight would be the last night she would see them for a long time.

Kaorn, once her brother in arms, had betrayed all of them and declared war on them and the world. She had once thought him kind, but now could only see a monster.

The door softly creaked open as a young stallion walked through into the room. She jumped at the noise and looked to see Fury, her son, looking at her with the same look of shock.

"Sorry mother, I didn't expect to see you in here," Fury said, apologizing to the startled alicorn.

"I didn't expect myself to be in here either," Paramour said as she began to look across the room, taking in the blank black interior walls that surrounded them. "Your father always hated this room. He said that it reminded him of the world he left behind before coming here...." she said as she trailed off. Memories of her old life, before coming to this world flooded her mind. Memories of war and destruction that eventually consumed the world, a war against the starmakers which lasted so long that the fought only for the hatred of fighting.

Her mind brought her back to the world she now called home, earth, a world she helped create.

"Mother?" Fury said, looking to the yellow alicorn, who had been staring at the wall for a few minutes. "Mother??" he asked again, beginning to worry.

Paramour slowly looked over to Fury before answering, "Yes my son?" she said slowly.

"Why are you in here anyways?" Fury asked, a look of concern upon his face.

"Oh my dear Fury Flight, how I am going to miss you," Paramour said with tears beginning to form. "Tomorrow I will join your father and the others in a final charge of the black castle..." she said in a hollow voice.

"MOTHER!! Are you insane!!!" Fury yelled. "Kaorn's too powerful, and his fortress well guarded by his chaos soldiers.... To charge it would be suicide!" he yelled, fear rising in his voice.

"Fury, this war has been lost for a while now," Paramour began, "Look at our resistance, if you can call it that.. Our pegasi have either seen too many moons or haven't seen enough. Our earth pony warriors have seen too many harvests, and our unicorn have never cast powerful battle magic, so we will lead the final charge of the alicorns upon the castle of death..." Paramour said, hope leaving her voice.

"He will kill you, and..." Fury began.

"The war will be over one way or another tomorrow," she said, her voice fading out at the last few words, "And that brings us to you," she said with a somber tone.

"Me!?" Fury asked, confused.

"In our absence, the throne of ponies will be taken up...... by you.." she said, without emotion.

Fury's expression changed as his mind processed the information given to him. "ME!?!" he shouted. "I can't lead them."

"Who else will lead them if not you my son? Are you not Our successor?" Paramour asked, sadness building in her voice. "You would give up everything we raised you for Fury?" she asked again.

"Mother...." he began. "I am no king, I'm a soldier, a........ a guardian. I would rather protect the throne than rule upon it," he said softly, his voice beginning to tremble.

"Then who would rule in your place, who would take on that great burden my son if not you?" she asked, disappointed that fury would not take their place.

"Why not my sisters? Are they not just as fit to rule as I?" Fury asked, watching his mother begin to cringe.

"Your sisters are too young Fury, to place a burden of that size upon them now...."

"When Celestia is old enough," Fury said slowly, interrupting his mother. "When she comes of age, I will step down as Stewart to the throne."

"It could work, but if the war would go ill..."

"Then there would be no need for a ruler, for Kaorn will destroy the world."

"Then it is settled then... Celestia and Luna will carry the crowns and rule in our stead," Paramour said as a lonely tear began to fall, joined by another. "My daughters face the world alone while my son fights in a war and dies against my once called brother."

"They'll rule together mom, one always there for the other, like you and dad... only apart now because you have to be," he said as he walked over to Paramour and embraced the great alicorn. "It's gonna be a rough start..." Fury said as he felt himself begin to cry, "But we'll manage until we can meet again mother..." he sad as his mother tightened her grip on him.

"I know son, I know..." she said, beginning to cry herself. "But know that me and your father will always be here, until the end of time.... in here" she said as she pointed her hoof towards his heart.

"I know mother..." Fury said as he buried his tears deep inside, beginning a life of holding back pain that would tear him apart later in life. He broke apart from the embrace and began to walk out of the room. "I'll let you get back to you thinking mother, besides, I have to talk to Hurricane about something," he said as he opened the door of the war room with his magic.

Paramour stood alone a moment before walking out herself. She walked out of the room to find the hallway alight with torches. She walked down the massive hallway to the fillies bedroom, which was about four doors down from the room she had just left. She heard the sound of laughter and looked through the slightly opened door.

Luna was running around the room with her little Tiberius, laughing a laugh that was nearly contagious. Celestia was setting on the massive bed, writing in what appeared to be a diary. Paramour didn't realize that she had begun to cry. She wanted to walk away, and not trouble the two young ponies with this grieving news when the door cracked open a little, and before she knew it, the two fillies were at the door.

"Hi Mommy," Luna said, smiling as she finished opening the door.

"Why hello Sweetheart," Paramour said as she began to walk into the room. This wasn't going to be easy. "Come on girls, let's get you two tucked in," she said as she walked toward the bed. The two young fillies followed and sprang up onto the bed where she brought the covers up around them and proceeded to tuck them in.

"Look mommy look!" Luna sang as her horn lit up. Her magic cradled her opossum and had him dance around.

"That's good Luna!" Paramour said as she kissed the young pony's forehead. She then walked around the bed and did the same to Celestia, who squirmed a little. Before setting down, she took a deep breath and spoke, "Girls, Do you remember when your father left?" she asked the young ponies.

"Uh-huh,"

"Well, tomorrow I have to leave.... and I don't know when I'll be back.." she said slowly, hiding away tears that were just at the edge of her eyes.

"What!? What do you mean mom!?" Celestia said as she sprang up.

"Well my dear, there comes a time in every pony's life when we must go on a journey, and tomorrow will be the start of mine..." she said, letting a tear drop from her muzzle. "Now your brother will still be here to watch over you, but I have to go for a while.."

"How long will you be gone mommy? " Luna asked, beginning to get teary eyed.

"I don't know Luna... I don't know...." she said as her voice trailed off. "Now let's get you two to sleep, tomorrow brings fun and joy," she lied as she stood back up, calling upon her magic and extinguishing the lights in the room, allowing the natural light of the night sky to illuminate the room. "Goodnight my dears..... and goodbye..." she whispered as she brought the door to a close gently. she turned from the door and began to walk farther down the hallway, to a large mural at the end of the hall.

The mural was huge, taking the whole wall, and portrayed the beginning. It showed one of their greatest creations, the world she stood upon. at the top it showed her as she had cleansed the dead planet in fire, erasing the evil left behind by the old gods. Then the mural shown Palladia as he brought forth a sea of water to cool the top of the glowing world and carve out streams and mighty oceans. The next section saw Pike as he called mountains from the new land and cut valleys. The fourth pony on the mural, Zephira, had brought air and other elements to make an atmosphere and the wind, making way for life to take hold. The next on the mural was Galaxo, as it shown him bringing stars to life in the pitch black sky, bringing life to the night. Then it portrayed him as he brought forth a large asteroid from space and crafted it with his magic until it was circular. He set it orbiting the world to give the world a partner as it danced across the galaxy. The next scene shown Paramour as she used her fire and light to create a ball of fire, closer than the stars that would bring warmth and light to the planet. After the planet had been made suitable for life, they had all put there magic together and created a separate dimension, a paradise. It was here that Kronos, the sixth pony, Created a great clock with his magic. When he wound up the great clock, the world began to turn and time began upon their new world. The final scene on the Mural shown a white alicorn with a flowing red mane, brought life into the world, from the tiniest of bugs to the largest Dragon.

Her eyes drifted from the mural to see a small shadow upon the floor. She smiled as she turned to see an alicorn stallion behind her. "Oh Galaxo, you've returned!" Paramour cried as she rushed to him. Galaxo was colored like the night sky, even sparkling. His mane was straight, in a two tone Mohawk, a gray and white mix.

He looked into her eyes like that of a love struck colt. They had been apart now for a year, when the war had begun, he had sent her and their three children away while he stayed and fought Kaorn. "It's good to see you my dear, even if this is our last night on this plane," Galaxo said with a tender voice.

They locked in a lover's embrace for a few moments. She broke away as she heard a small scream outside the castle. "What was that!?" she asked, looking to the north, where the sound had originated.

"There was no sound Paramour," Galaxo said, a little confused.

"Well, maybe I'm just scared ya know, marching to our...."

"Paramour, I'll never let that happen, never," Galaxo said as he interrupted her. He had a stern look to his face, but it softened back to a relaxed state. "Come my dear, let's walk this old castle one more time.." he said, before lifting a hoof to gesture to his wife. They walked the halls one more time, talking about days of old, before they had to fight an enemy that they had once called brother...

Through the shards of defeat are planted the seeds of hope, and if given love and determination, will grow into the tree of victory, but if given hate, will give us the roots of destruction...

~ Fury Flight