• Published 8th May 2016
  • 4,636 Views, 304 Comments

Moving On - Manitive



This is the story of William Wright, a normal person who wants to live a peaceful life, but is doomed to make big crucial decisions. Follow his tale through the hardships of life and other...rather uncommon things.

  • ...
33
 304
 4,636

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Twenty-Six - Breakfast with a Hint of Realization

I had an awful night, to say the least.

I tossed and turned for hours, but no matter how hard I tried to find that one comfortable position that would finally bring me the long-awaited sleep, sleep didn't come until it was nearly the sun's time to rise again. If Scootaloo would've been there with me, falling asleep would've been no problem. I was sure of that.

But not only the obvious, the absence of my daughter, was troubling me, no, also the conversation I held with Discord.

Discord made a really generous offer, no questions asked. But what was really troubling me was how mysterious of a... thing and how cryptic he was. He didn't explain anything, he didn't give me any real reasons why I should accept his offer, nothing. I mean, once I thought about it, even his biggest reason, precious, tasty meat, wasn't a reason for such a relatively dangerous thing to exist. As Rainbow once said back on earth, they had griffons in their world, carnivores that needed meat to survive.

So, there was no reason for me to accept his offer.

And yet, something was keeping me from outright declining. Something about switching between my old home and my new home, between two different dimensions, just excited me.

Weird, right?

But I still had time to decide. Six days (if I really was going to see him again) to really think everything through and I was going to take my time until then.

Fortuantely I was able to doze off after my brain tired itself out.

Unfortunately, though, I wasn't able to sleep long until nature decided to wake me up.

****

I woke up the next morning as the clock ticked eight o'clock in the morning, incredibly tired but relieved that the horror was finally over. I took a quick shower, put on some clothes, grabbed the little bag that contained all my bits from the nightstand and immediately stepped out of the house, straightly heading for the orphanage.

On my way there, I was already thinking of where Scootaloo and I could enjoy our breakfast together. At first thought, the only contemplable place that sprung into my mind was Sugarcube Corner, but then I'd spotted a relatively charming café on my way to the orphanage, one that I apparently failed to see the night before. It was closer to the orphanage, looked less like it would cause death by too much sugar intake and, the best thing, one of the waitresses, a brown-coated earth pony, waved at me!

A pony, one that I'd never seen before, waved at me! Not a 'get the fuck away from me' one, but a generous 'good morning' one!

It made me happy that really not every pony was behaving like some others, that some of them were accepting of beings like me.

So, with a little spring in my step, I continued my way to the orphanage. That day already started off a lot better than some of the previous ones.

****

After just a few more minutes of walking, the orphanage slowly came into view. I was surprised just how livelier it looked than the night before. Maybe a dozen of foals of all three races, of all imaginable colours, were happily darting around the playground directly beside it without seemingly a care in the world, giving the orphanage that was so close to them, a building that is normally associated with sadness and tears, that happy touch it oh-so-desperately needed.

Their happy laughter echoed through the morning, brightening me up even further.

And then my eyes fell onto the orange filly that was waiting by the fence that surrounded the playground.

Scootaloo was sitting on her haunches upon something that looked like a skateboard with a handlebar attached to it, a cute purple helmet with two white stripes in the middle of it adorning her head. She was looking straight ahead, her eyes never leaving the row of cottages on the other side of the street, seemingly clueless of my presence even when I was standing just a few feet away from her.

"'Ey Scoots." I greeted her nonchalantly, just like the casual guy I was, my voice causing her to turn her head into my direction and snap out of her daydreaming at an instant. "Whatcha looking at?"

In just mere seconds, her expression shifted from nothing, to confusion and finally into a big, happy smile, a smile so big that her shining white teeth were clearly showing themselves. One could think that she hadn't seen me for weeks!

She darted forward, literally throwing herself at my leg, being mindful enough to not hit my leg with her head, and then wrapped her forehooves around it. "Dad!"

After a few seconds of squeezing my leg to death, she let go, taking a big step back to properly look me into the face. "Missed me, huh?" I asked with a chuckle, looking down with a small smirk on my face. Her smile vanished slowly as she noticed her little act of uncoolness, replaced by a blush as she took quick glances to her left and right.

Fortunately for her, no one had seen, not even the other foals on the playground behind her, all of whom were still occupied with whatever fun thing they were doing. If anyone had, she probably would've died of embarrassment.

"Y-Yeah, sure." She stammered quietly, almost shyly, suddenly finding the ground beneath her hooves a lot more interesting than my face. Correction, she was already dying of embarrassment... And goddamn she was cute.

I gave her a little pat on the head. "So, what's that behind you? Some sort of skateboard?" I asked in an attempt to start a conversation and distract her, pointing at the object she was previously sitting on with my index finger.

She immediately brightened up, blush magically vanished as she looked me back into the face and stepped aside. "That's my scooter I told you about! Cool, isn't it?" She boasted, puffing out that little, fluffy chest of hers proudly. "I built it all alone!"

"Oh really, you did?" I asked in genuine surprise, inspecting her scooter a little bit closer. Now that I was able to have a closer and longer look at it, it really did look hand, or in her case, hoofmade. Some of the edges didn't look as smooth as you'd expect from something that was built by machines and there were some nails sticking out at an odd angle, but not dangerously so. It also looked like it had to be patched up a few times, as there were some pieces of wood that didn't really fit into the color spectrum of the scooter. "When?"

She hummed in thought, lifting a hoof up to idly rub the spot under her muzzle before finally answering, "I dunno, when I was like... nine? So around four years ago, I guess."

"Huh, neat." I said, turning my head back at her. "Anyways, where do you want to eat breakfast?"

She tapped at her muzzle in thought, but ultimately just shrugged her shoulders. "I don't really care, to be honest. Just has to taste good."

"Well, I saw a nice looking cafe on my way here, how about there?"

"I think I know which one you mean." She said, nodding her head slowly. "Café Hay, I think it's called. It's pretty expensive, though."

I pulled the bag of coins that I packed earlier out of my pocket, showing it to her with a small smile. "I think I got that covered."

****

"Hey Dad, look!"

I froze on the spot.

I turned myself around just in time to see Scootaloo straightly heading for a conveniently placed makeshift ramp at high-speed on her scooter, and, just a mere second later, I saw her soaring through the sky, her cute, little wings buzzing frantically in an attempt to keep her aloft. Her wings succeeded in doing so for three, maybe four seconds, but ultimately failed in providing the necessary lift to keep her in the air as she quickly fell back down to the ground, the wheels of her scooter hitting the cobbled street hard.

Just when I thought that the horror was over, my eyes went wide, as did hers, as she suddenly and without a warning lost control over her scooter, the whole thing swaying from left to right dangerously and heading straight for the cottage's wall to her right. Thankfully, though, she quickly got it under control again, narrowly avoiding the wall by just mere millimeters.

"Jeez, Scoots, never do that again." I exclaimed aloud, a hand clutching at my chest, just right above where my rapidly-beating heart was. I wasn't really prepared for something like that.

"Pfff, stop being such a wuss." She said, trying to sound casual as she rolled up to my side and playfully poked my leg. "It's not like I was in danger."

I gave her the most deadpan look I could muster, given the near heart attack I just suffered.

"...Yeah, okay, maybe a little." She admitted, rolling her eyes at me. "But it's not like I didn't know what I was doing!"

"Still, that doesn't change the fact that you just barely avoided a visit to the hospital." I stated, turning back around and continuing to walk towards Café Hay that was slowly coming into view. "And, lemme tell you, I really don't want to see-"

"Good morning, you two!" I took a look over my shoulder, one eyebrow raised, in order to see who interrupted me so rudely, only to see two violet orbs staring right back at me, connected to the happy face and purple body of none other than Twilight Sparkle. "Good to see you!"

"Hey Twilight." Scoots greeted, waving at her lazily with one hoof.

I turned around completely, Scootaloo walking up to my side as I looked down to the purple pony, quite happy to see her again for the first time since a few days. "Good morning to you too, Twilight." I greeted back, nodding at her. "How's it going? We haven't seen each other in what? Two days?"

"Three, I think." She corrected before her smile turned into a small frown. "And I'm feeling okay, I guess. I've been doing some research, so I was barely somewhere else than the castle's library."

She shook her head, bringing that smile back forth. "And what about you two? How are you doing, and what are you two doing up this early?"

"We're fine." I looked down to the side curtly, seeing that Scootaloo was confirming what I said with a slow nod, before looking back to Twilight. "I just fetched Scootaloo from the orphanage so we could go and get some breakfast together."

Twilight's face fell a little. "Rainbow came by yesterday and told me about the problems you two were having. I'm sorry for the both of you. Had I known earlier, maybe we could've worked things out somehow. And I, as a princess, should've known that a law like that exists... Especially after all those books-"

"Twilight, I'm not mad at you for not knowing, definitely not." I interrupted her before she could go on any further, giving her a small smile and a pat on the shoulder. "I can't be. And, no offense, I don't think that even if you would've known earlier, there is nothing you could've done. We just have to wait."

I looked down to Scootaloo, giving her a smirk. "And not even a law can forbid me to call Scootaloo my sweet, adorable little daughter."

Scootaloo's cheeks turned a light shade of pink as she jabbed me in the side of my leg with one of her hooves.

"Worth it." I stated confidently, biting my lip as I looked back at Twilight. I shook my right leg in an attempt to somehow make the slight stinging pain vanish. "Totally worth it."

The purple pony shook her head, a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips. "Do you mind if I join you two at breakfast?" She asked, looking at the both of us. "Haven't had a good meal in those three days, and maybe we can catch up a little on what happened?"

I looked down to Scootaloo, who nodded a confirmation at me, before saying, "Sure."

****

I looked down to the little bale of hay in front of me, something that apparently served as a seat in order to eat from the relatively big mushroom table. "That's an interesting choice of... Ehm, furniture?"

And I thought that the small chairs from Sugarcube Corner were bad...

Scootaloo hopped up onto the bale to my left, and Twilight took the one opposite of me, both of them plopping themselves down onto their haunches right on top of them. "They're pretty comfy, dad." Scootaloo stated encouragingly, wiggling a little bit deeper into the hay. "C'mon, try it."

"Uh..." I took one last questioning glance at Scootaloo, who gave me a nod in return, before stepping closer to the seat and slowly, very slowly lowering myself down to the seat.

Once I was seated on the bale, I immediately realized that those things were clearly not comfortable and definitely not made with the human height and weight in mind. My ass sank deep into the hay, so deep that I was slowly but surely starting to lose all of that height I had over the table. Fortunately, I stopped sinking deeper after just a few seconds.

Unfortunately, I was really struggling to keep myself from losing balance and fall backwards.

After taking a few seconds to adjust myself to the change, I slowly looked into the face of Scootaloo, then over into the face of Twilight, both of them trying their dearest to hold in the giggles that were threatening to escape them. "What?" I asked with one eyebrow raised.

Scootaloo and Twilight looked each other in their faces curtly before the former suddenly burst out into a laughing fit, to which I only rolled my eyes. "Okay, what's so funny?"

"I-It's...just...how you are sitting!" Scootaloo managed to explain between her laughter, wiping away some tears with her left foreleg. "Y-you're like a giant that's sitting on a small chair!"

"Hehe, she's kinda right." Twilight said, giggling from behind her hoof.

I raised an eyebrow. "Okay, I literally don't get why this is so funny, but-"

I was interrupted by an ahem that came from my left, to which I quickly turned my attention into that direction. Scootaloo and Twilight's giggling/laughter was also cut short as we all looked at the pony that interrupted us.

Earth pony, brown coat and (now that I had a closer look) a mane that was split into two similar shades of brown; it was the waitress that waved at me earlier, wearing a big, genuine friendly smile on her face.

"Sorry to interrupt. I'm Acoustic Melody and here to take your orders." She greeted politely, a small notebook balanced in her left hoof. "Have you decided yet, or should I come back in a little bit?"

It was only then that I noticed that there was a menu lying in front of me, on its front a big, stylized 'H'. I grabbed it from the table, quickly turned to the first page and started going through the menu, muttering, "No, it's fine."

I regretted that decision shortly after.

Twilight and Scootaloo seemed to know what the café was serving, both of them quickly deciding to order a daisy sandwich, which the waitress quickly jotted down, while I was left sitting there, helplessly searching for just the right thing to enjoy while the waitress was patiently waiting for me to voice my wish. Deciding would've been a lot easier if there were less flower and hay-based meals on the menu, but sadly, thanks to ponies liking those two things oh-so-much, there weren't.

It's really embarrassing when you're the last one to make an order, but don't even know what to order...

That's why I was having a little internal crisis, and I'm not exaggerating here. 'Dandelion sandwich? Or maybe a hay burger? No wait, no hay. Can't eat that...' I turned to the next page but was left just as helpless as before as I stared at the wall of text. 'Ugh, no, why do they have six different variants of fried hay?'

"Sir, may I suggest something?" Said our waitress, interrupting my near-breakdown politely.

I perked up, relieved to finally get out of the hell that was my brain. "Sure, but please nothing with flowers or hay."

She considered my special request for a moment. "The hash browns topped with an egg are pretty popular among those who can't digest hay or flowers that well, especially griffons. Does that sound good?"

'Hash brown...eggs...' I turned over another page, and, of course, there was a section that read 'For our omnivorous customer'. I mentally groaned, nodding my head slowly. "Sounds good."

She jotted down my order. "Does anyone want a drink while we prepare your meals?" She asked, directing a questioning look at Twilight.

"No, thanks, I'm good." She said.

Scootaloo pondered for a moment, before she finally gave her answer, "Hot chocolate, please."

The waitress quickly wrote Scootaloo's request down, before finally turning her attention to me. "And you, sir?"

"Nah, thanks, I'm good too." I answered, giving her a polite smile.

Lastly, she repeated our orders, and, upon hearing that she got everything right, collected the menus from us and walked back into the café, leaving the three of us alone again.

"So, what else happened?" Twilight asked curiously, ready to listen whatever I was going to tell her.

I shrugged. "Not a lot, to be fair." I said, to which She motioned me to continue with one of her hooves. "Well, apart from Applejack giving me a job at her farm and me meeting Dis-" I stopped myself instantly, coughing into my first rather loudly, which made both Scootaloo and Twilight raise an eyebrow in unison.

"Sorry, I meant, uhm..." 'Quick, think of someone! THINKTHINKTHINKTH-' "Derpy, yeah, that's her name! She crashed into me!"

It was only when the words left my mouth that I realized I was nearly shouting. Good thing we were the only ones outside of the café, or else that would've been more than embarrassing. "O-kay." Twilight said, eyeing me suspiciously.

We lapsed into a few seconds of awkward silence, Twilight suspicious eyes seemingly trying to read my mind while I was busy trying to look anywhere but into her face, twiddling my thumbs nervously. It was right in the moment when I could literally feel Twilight readying another question about my encounter with Derpy, when the waitress came back, carefully balancing on her left hoof a steaming-hot mug upon a tray.

"One hot chocolate." She announced, walking up to Scootaloo's left side and offering her the mug with a smile on her face. Scootaloo was quick to lift the mug off of the tray, uttering a 'thank you' and placing the mug in front of her on the table.

Right when that was done, the waitress took a quick glance behind her, almost as she was nervous about something. Interested in what made her do that, I took a look of my own into the direction.

Standing there was a stallion with a mustache, his coat a light, yellowish gray and his backwards-combed mane a grayish blue. He wore some kind of white suit, if you could even call it that, with a red bow-tie that covered the front of his chest and the lower parts of his legs. Everything else was uncovered, which made me see that he had some kind of tray that was covered by a silver lid as his cutie mark.

Not that I'd been staring at a stallion's ass!

"Your meals will be ready in five minutes." She said, snapping me out of my staring, before leaving us alone once again.

"So, Applejack offered you a job?" Twilight asked once the waitress was gone.

I nodded my head. "Yeah. I met her yesterday and she asked if I'd like to help out at her farm in exchange for some money."

A small smirk tugged at the corner of her mouth, one that didn't go unnoticed by me. "Let me take a guess; at first you said no, then she told you how you needed that job and how you wouldn't get another, and then managed to convince you into accepting?"

I gave her another nod. "Exactly. How'd you know?"

"It's Applejack." She answered simply, to which I shot her a slightly puzzled look, but Twilight just left it at that. "Now, there's another thing I've been meaning to ask you two, actually."

"And that is?"

"When Rainbow came by yesterday, she wasn't like her...How do I put it?" She tipped at her muzzle in thought. "Usual self."

I blinked.

"Oh." Both I and Scootaloo uttered together.

"Yes, oh indeed." Twilight said. "And, after some persuasion, she told me why."

She took a deep breath. "I think the two of you are overreacting."

I opened my mouth to retort, but Twilight was faster. "Hear me out, please."

"I can understand that you,-" She turned her head at Scootaloo, who was slurping her hot chocolate like her life depended on it. "- and you are mad at her, but the both of you should really consider talking to her. She did what she did to see the both of you happy, and, just like William said earlier, even if she'd have told any of you earlier... What would have changed?"

I opened my mouth, but no words came out. Defeated by my own argument.

She had me there, I realized, closing my mouth again. I hadn't thought about it that way, only then realizing how dumb and whiny I must've sounded.

Seeing that I wasn't going to retort, Twilight continued, looking me dead in the eye, "I know her good enough to know that she's depressed. No matter how hard she'll try to deny it, and she will, she really fears to lose the two of you." She paused, looking between me and Scootaloo. "You both should go and talk to her since I'm afraid that she's not going to muster up the courage to do it. You two don't have to outright forgive her, but at least show her that you don't hate her."

On the one hand, Twilight was right. After realizing that even if we would've known earlier, nothing really would've changed, the majority of my anger for Rainbow was gone. But, on the other hand, there was still a small bit of anger that wouldn't go, a small part originated from the breach of trust.

Not saying anything is technically lying. So, in the end, she broke my trust by lying to me.

I curtly looked over to Scootaloo. She didn't seem like she was even listening to our conversation, looking down into her now-empty mug intently. One of her ears, though, was telling me the complete opposite, as it slowly perked up and swiveled into my direction, awaiting my response.

With a heavy sigh, I ran one of my hands through my hair, before answering, "We're going to talk to her after I'm done with work, but I won't promise anything to come out of it."

Twilight brightened upon hearing that, her extremely serious expression that she kept up the whole conversation diminishing and being replaced by a small smile. "I'm glad to hear that."

Thankfully, It wasn't long before our delicious-looking meals finally arrived, carried by the same waitress that attended us earlier, though she seemed slightly nervous when she placed them and the silverware in front of each one of us. With a quick glance out of the corner of my eye, I was able to spot that same mustached stallion from before, looking at the waitress critically, almost judgingly. Putting one and one together, I realized that she was nervous because of him. He probably was her superior or something.

But I didn't give it any more thought as my nose caught the scent of what exactly was in front of me. And, let me tell you, I'm not exaggerating when I say that it probably was one of the most tasty-looking breakfast I'd ever seen. Not as good as the one from the Apple family, obviously, as I was barely able to keep myself from salivating.

And upon taking a little taste, I was confirmed in my hopes that it tasted even better than it smelled.

The rest of the breakfast went by in comfortable silence, only the occasional uninteresting small talk interrupting it. Once each one of us was finished we called for the bill, and it was only then when I realized that there was one major problem.

With the bill in one hand and the open bag of coins in my other, I was struggling to figure out how much I exactly I had to pay. The bill said that I had to pay twenty-nine bits for mine and Scootaloo's meal, but once I looked into my little money bag, I saw three different kinds of coins.

Platinum, gold and silver.

"Uh, Twilight?" I showed her the bill and then pointed at the brown coin bag. "How does this...uhm, work exactly?"

She blinked twice before it finally seemed to click. "Oh! Right, different currency!"

She lit up her horn, levitating two platinum, four silver and one golden bit out of the open bag. "It's pretty simple." She said with a smile, levitating one single platinum bit in front of my eyes. "One platinum bit equals ten normal, golden bits."

She levitated a silver bit into my view. "And one silver bit is worth two golden bits."

Lastly, she dropped every bit she collected out of my bag onto the bill that lay on the table. "So, twenty-nine bits equals two platinum, four silver and one golden bit."

I hummed in thought, scratching at my chin. "Interesting that the golden bit is worth less than the silver one."

"Actually, the golden ones aren't really made out of gold. Gold is the most expensive metal in Equestria, so we use a metal called brass, a mixture of copper and zinc, instead since it's way cheaper and more common." She explained, gradually going into full egghead mode. "The silver bits, though, are purely made out of silver, and the platinum ones are purely made out of platinum since both of these metals are fairly cheap and common in Equestria. Did you know that Equestria has actually one of the biggest platinum and silver mines in the whole world? And did you know that-"

Thankfully, I realized where this was going. "Twilight, stop, please."

She stopped momentarily, before her surprised expression shifted into an embarrassed grin, both her cheeks flushing a light pink that was barely visible. It was kinda cute, actually. "Heh, s-sorry, kinda lost control right there."

"Like you wouldn't believe." Scootaloo muttered under her breath, just loud enough for the both of us to hear. Twilight's blush only intensified upon hearing her annoyed tone.

I shot Scootaloo a glare, which made her quickly cover her mouth.

"Sooo... How much do you guys normally tip?" I asked after clearing my throat.

"Generally, nothing, at least not in cafés, diners or anything like that." Twilight answered, the pink hue slowly leaving her cheeks. "In restaurants, though, I'd say the rule of hoof is one to... three bits."

Taking a short moment to consider if I was going to tip or not, I ultimately decided to pull out three golden bits and neatly stacked them onto each other beside the bill. The mare that was our waitress was polite and friendly, so why not leave a little tip for her?

I picked up my bag of bits and stashed it away into my pocket pants, and, with that done, slowly stood back up, stretching my back as I was finally able to stand properly again. Scootaloo and Twilight also hopped down from their seats, though they didn't seem to feel the need to stretch as much as I did.

"I'll be off now, still have some books to read." Twilight stated. "You two will be at Sweet Apple Acres for the festival tomorrow, right?"

Raising an eyebrow, I asked, "What exactly is tomorrow at Sweet Apple Acres?"

"Running of the Leaves?" She answered questioningly as if she wasn't too sure if someone told and I'd just forgotten, or if I really didn't know about the so-called 'Running of the Leaves'.

Of course, I didn't really know.

"Oh, okay." I simply said. "Yeah, I guess until tomorrow."

Twilight gave us one last smile and a wave with her hoof before turning around and walking away, down the street into the direction of her big, unmissable castle. Scootaloo picked up her Scooter that was leaning on a nearby table, put on her helmet and suddenly began driving away into the opposite direction of where Twilight went.

I quickly followed her.

Our destination?

No freaking idea, but damn that filly was fast.

Author's Note:

Thanks GeorgeFleurParty for proofreading this chapter! :pinkiehappy:

Also, before I go over to why this took so long to publish, here's what Acoustic Melody looks like. I can't draw for shit, so better don't view it in full resolution. Seriously, don't.

She's going to play a 'bigger' part in this story.


Hey, everyone!

Nearly three fucking weeks... I'm sorry. :pinkiesad2:
I was trying to get this chapter out asap, but good ol' real life got, once again, in the way of things, plus there's always that problem of motivation.
Some already lost interest in this story or are slowly losing interest, I'm sure of it, but there's not much I can do about that. I'll try my best to get a little more writing done, can't promise anything, though.

Also, I've been thinking about the conversation I and Fauster had in the comments and realized that everything was really getting a little...well, borderline cringy. As if this story isn't cringy enough as it is.
So, I'm going to change a few small things. Nothing major, just how William acts towards certain situations and events because I realized that he has been steadily acting dumber throughout the second Arc... At least dumber than I originally intended him to act.

Lastly...
103 likes...? :rainbowhuh:
'kay then. :pinkiecrazy:


Special thanks!

PreviousChapters Next