• Published 4th May 2016
  • 1,415 Views, 47 Comments

A pet should never outlive his owner... - Lise



What do you do if your owner dies? Standing at Fluttershy's grave, Angel Bunny must find an answer.

  • ...
5
 47
 1,415

... but sometimes it happens

A pet should never outlive his owner. Angel Bunny stood silently, gazing at the wooden tomb marker. He didn't consider himself a pet, not even for a moment did the thought cross his mind, but he did feel a bond to the pony. Fluttershy had always taken care of him. Ever since he could remember, she had been there... so timid, clumsy and shy. There were times she had driven him insane with that attitude of hers! And yet, she had always been there for him, and always so kind.

Angel felt the wind pick up a bit. The weather team had promised to keep the skies clear during the wake. That had been one of Rainbow Dash's wishes — clean skies for the day her friends would be put in their final resting place. She had passed away three years ago never to see her wish carried out. Angel envied her for that. Even now, part of him screamed to jump on the tomb marker and start thumping on it with his foot. As if that would make Fluttershy come out and ask him politely to stop. She had always hated when he did that. She never said it, always hiding behind her kind smile and timid words, but Angel knew.

Typical Flutterpony! Always running off somewhere and leaving me behind! This time, however, she wasn't coming back and Angel could not follow her... ever. Quite ironic, now that Angel knew the meaning of the word. There was no reason for him to have survived this long, no logical explanation. It had just happened. At the time he hadn't given it any thought. Other animals came and went, along with the tears that Fluttershy shed upon their departure. Angel, however, had always remained. He had watched his roommates leave, his friends, and then the ponies that he loved the most.

A pet should never outlive his owner. Fluttershy could have avoided this. If not completely, she could probably have delayed it for another decade or so. Angel had been present during the argument she had had with Discord. By then she was grey in the mane, barely walking, and difficult of hearing. Once per week, the draconequus would come to have tea, granting her youth for a few hours. Angel smiled as he thought about it. For one afternoon it was like old times. Fluttershy would giggle at Discord's stupid jokes, pet the animals, go to the kitchen to make some cookies. Then, like a fleeting dream, the moment would pass, and she would revert to being the old mare she was. Time and time again, Discord would try to convince her to restore her youth on a permanent basis, and each time Fluttershy would refuse. "It's not natural" she would say without further explanation, then speak no more of it. And she was right.

"Still here, Angel?" A voice asked. "I thought you'd be helping at the cottage."

Of course you would, Philomena. You're used to this! You were born to be eternal. I stumbled upon immortality by accident.

A pet should never outlive his owner. He shouldn't have been mean to his owner either. When Fluttershy had found him, the first thing Angel had done was to kick her in the muzzle. He hadn't been particularly afraid, nor annoyed, it was just something he had felt like doing to be left alone. Fluttershy hadn't said a word. There had been tears in her eyes, of pain, or maybe fear, but she had bit her lip and remained there until he had finally given in and followed her to her cottage. Flutterpony, you were always stronger than others thought. And you knew it. You had us all fooled, didn't you? All the time you knew exactly how strong you were.

"Spike is already there, helping Sheepish get settled in," the phoenix said, looking at the grave.

Angel didn't need to say a word to be understood. A short while later Philomena flapped her wings and flew off. Probably to help fix up Fluttershy's... Sheepish's cottage. The bunny was going to have to get used to that. Of Fluttershy's entire family, only her granddaughter had chosen to continue her work. Angel knew it would be this way. In fact, he was thankful. Ever since Fluttershy had married, he had felt a divide between his owner and the rest of the family. Pegasi yearned for the sky, as did her husband and children. Fluttershy could have changed that, had she wished. A simple request and they would have lived in Ponyville. However, even then she had put others before her, moving to live in the clouds, only returning to the cottage during the day. Only after the death of her husband had she flown back down to earth. Her children had visited as much as they could, but never stayed for long. Only Sheepish had inherited Fluttershy's passion for taking care of animals. Yet still, she was no Fluttershy.

A cucumber salad. That was the last thing Fluttershy had done before passing away. She had prepared it specially for him, even adding a cherry on top. Almost as if she had known what would follow. When Angel had found her, she was lying on the ground, next to the table, so calm, as if she were asleep. He had known, of course. The bunny had had years to prepare for this moment. In the end he still had failed at that.

Always about the chewing. He crossed his arms. She had known him to be immortal, and yet she kept on nagging with the need of proper eating. In truth, Angel liked hearing her remind him. He always had. When Fluttershy had been in better shape he had deliberately behaved badly, only to get her attention. He suspected she knew as well. Few things could go past that one. The best pony in Equestria.

A pet should never outlive his owner, but sometimes it happens. Fluttershy had taught Angel what to do when it happens. During her own life she had seen more death than most ponies could imagine. She had watched animals be born, age and pass on countless times, and not once had she let it drag her down. Angel owed it to her to be the same.

The bunny hopped in front of the grave marker, and carefully put an acorn seed in the ground. Fluttershy had often mentioned she wanted to be a tree. Now, Angel was going to see that in time she did.

Author's Note:

An attempt at something sad.
Please let me know how you think this could be improved :)

Comments ( 44 )

Characterisation for Angel. What is this sorcery :pinkiegasp:

Sad fic, nice story Lise.

7186002 Well, they do say Angel is magic... :D

7186014 :D Thankee, Snow :) Happy you enjoyed.

7186020
So they do. Never heard that.:raritydespair:

7186026 :) Thanks. Well, Angel is one tough bunny :D

7186027 Or maybe just Starlight Glimmer does... O:)

7186251 Nonagon! :) I take it you agree that Angel is best pony? :D

Oh my goodness. I really liked this. I kinda wanna narrate it now... but it's so new

7186300 :D Thanks! Very glad you enjoyed :) Angel is an old favourie of mine :)

Welp, I gotta go clean out my 'thinking about life' corner again...

I have to say, I like this, but the "I stumbled upon immortality by accident" part is throwing me off. At first I thought this whole situation was unrealistic, then I got to that part, and it made more sense, but a little elaboration on how that happened would be wise. Unless I missed something... :rainbowhuh:
Either way, upvoted earned. :twilightsmile:

7187081 Aww. Hope that's a good thing? :)

7187177 :D Thanks. :)
Yes, you are right. While there is an explanation, it was left out of the fic. Just as the explanation for the what happens in the final paragraph.
Mostly, I needed a break from other things I've been doing. And while I have jotted down a few notes about a sequel, don't know when I'll get to it. :) Am very happy you enjoyed and will be sure to mail you when there's any development. :D

7187256

Just as the explanation for the what happens in the final paragraph.

What do you mean?

The bunny hopped in front of the grave marker, and carefully put an acorn seed in the ground. Fluttershy had often mentioned she wanted to be a tree. Now, Angel was going to see that in time she did.

I thought what that last paragraph means was pretty obvious. And a very sweet gesture.

7187418 It is :) Yet he will never be the same. :D Prefer not to spoil yet.

This was a nice little story. Have a like.:twilightsmile: One question though.

I stumbled upon immortality by accident.

How did that happen?:applejackconfused:

7188833 *Dramatic music* :)

7189870 Sorry...

Oh f*ck! Why you gotta make me shed a tear?! Damn it, I almost didn't too!:fluttercry:
It was so sad...

7190167 D'awwwww...
It was a great story!

A fic in which I actually care for that demonic bunny?

How....?

7191819 :) He's just a cute misunderstood bunny. Strong on the inside, fluffy on the outside.

I never thought i'd say it... I actually feel bad for Angel :fluttershysad:.

I don't do this often *Gives a Full Formal WolfBow* Well Done! Very Well Done!

The concept of "accidentally immortal" Angel Bunny needs to become a story of its own. Considering how long lived tortoises are, maybe he's still chummy with Tank...

7192068 :) Angel has a heart of gold! It's just well hidden :D

7192147 :D Thank you! Glad you enjoyed :) Hooefully, there will be more about the pesky bunny in the near/mid future :)

7192780 :) Idea is already jotted down. Just needs to find the right moment to be written :)
Only thing certain is that Philomena and Spike are around :)

*Sniff* Hey, I made it through the chapter and I didn't even -

The bunny hopped in front of the grave marker, and carefully put an acorn seed in the ground. Fluttershy had often mentioned she wanted to be a tree. Now, Angel was going to see that in time she did.

I don't usually put stories into the depressing side of the bookshelf. But sir, you made it.

7193913 :) Why the tears? Angel will pull through! Besides, who will take care of Sheepish? :)

7197686 :) Very glad you enjoyed :D

Amazingly sad, but you killed it at the end with the tree joke.

7207069 That was no joke... *ominous music*
:) Hope you enjoyed :D

So sad :fluttercry:...

Have a like! :twilightsmile:

Also, how did Angel become immortal?

7207186 :D Thank you :) Glad you enjoyed.
Angel did it by accident :) The way things are going maybe I should write an explanation sometime :)

7207216

Could you maybe do a sequel for how Angel got his immortality? Just asking.

7207218 :) I have notes on that. Not sure when I'll get to the sequel, though :(

7207227

If you ever begin it, could you send me the link once you're done?

7207230 Absolutely :) Would be my pleasure :D

Nice story. Why is Angel immortal as some sort of never explained subplot though? Or for all I know it was explained in a different story. Who knows? Well, I sure don't.

Point being that this was good.

Login or register to comment